Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082531 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4000 on: March 04, 2016, 02:04:06 AM »
I DO NOT GET the essential oil MLMs. I remember buying essential oils at some hippie grocer 15 years ago and they were a few dollars a bottle and made things smell nice. Now they are super expensive. people collect whole shelves of them, and they cost a fortune. What gives?
Have you tried suggesting to the people you are buying from that the oil price has dropped so they should now only cost 1/4 as much ?

This is awesome. Totally mess with their minds!

Is it possible to make them at home? I need to look into this, maybe I can market them as "artisan hand-crafted essential oil."
Of course. How do you think the village apothecary did it way back in olden times?

If I remember correctly from Tudor documentaries, the thing you want is called an alembic.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4001 on: March 04, 2016, 06:02:57 AM »

I'm not sure if that's really better.  At least with a complete stranger, she may be able to get some of the charges canceled for fraud (though maybe not due to her long-term negligence).  But with them being valid charges by her parents, is she planning to ask them to repay her for all those months?  Awkward.

Yep, very awkward. And also, what a weird Christmas present for 2 reasons:

1) Who wants their cable bill paid for Christmas? It's not exactly a thoughtful interesting gift unless you're in financial straits and really need cable (which... well, I'm preaching to the choir).
2) it's an even worse gift for someone who clearly doesn't read their statements, because how would they even know you paid it for me? Do you write in a card, "Surprise, I saw your cable bill and it made me think of you"?!

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #4002 on: March 04, 2016, 06:46:24 AM »
Just saw this one and came straight here to post. I can't even comprehend this...

Now I do believe this girl does a pretty good job of managing her money. I know she has some rental properties, as evidenced by this post, and I think by and large she's been smart with her finances.

HOWEVER, she just posted that while trying to refinance one of her homes for a lower interest rate, she needed her bank statements. She posts "I probably shouldn't be advertising this, but the last time I looked at my bank statement was when I closed on our house 3 years ago." WTF. She then goes on to say when she looked at her statement today she discovered a charge for $147 billed today, and does not have Time Warner. Turns out she's been getting charged between $135 to $147 for Time Warner each month since DECEMBER 2014 and never noticed!! I don't even understand how this happens! I mean, on the one hand good job not living paycheck to paycheck, but on the other hand, WHO DOESN'T CHECK THEIR BANK ACCOUNT?! I mean, at least give it a once over every now and then to make sure there's nothing fraudulent/everything automated is coming out as it should be.

So the same girl posted an update last night. I didn't think this could get worse...

Turns out back in December 2014 she was at her parents' house and saw their Time Warner bill lying on the kitchen counter and decided she'd call in and pay it for them for a Christmas present. Well, Time Warner put her credit card on file. So every month after that when her parents called in to pay the bill (hello, why not automate it?) Time Warner would ask if they wanted to use the credit card on file and they would say yes, thinking it was theirs. So now, not only has the original girl not noticed for the last 15 months that she's been charged over $2000 for cable, apparently her parents never look at their bill either to notice that they HAVEN'T been getting charged!!! I guess at least we know where she gets it from now...
this is really funny
At least it was somebody she knew and an accident as opposed to a complete stranger using her credit card maliciously.

I'm not sure if that's really better.  At least with a complete stranger, she may be able to get some of the charges canceled for fraud (though maybe not due to her long-term negligence).  But with them being valid charges by her parents, is she planning to ask them to repay her for all those months?  Awkward.

I doubt it. At least, she didn't act that way in her post. I wonder if her parents offered.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #4003 on: March 04, 2016, 06:49:01 AM »

Yep, very awkward. And also, what a weird Christmas present for 2 reasons:

1) Who wants their cable bill paid for Christmas? It's not exactly a thoughtful interesting gift unless you're in financial straits and really need cable (which... well, I'm preaching to the choir).
2) it's an even worse gift for someone who clearly doesn't read their statements, because how would they even know you paid it for me? Do you write in a card, "Surprise, I saw your cable bill and it made me think of you"?!

I thought the same thing. I mean, it's not like I'm giving people a gift for the thank you, but I'm assuming her parents never noticed that original payment considering they didn't notice the next 14 months of payments. I just don't understand how anyone goes that long without checking their accounts. We were charged $10 for something the other day that I forgot my husband had bought and I was like "what is this?! fraud?!"

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4004 on: March 04, 2016, 07:26:16 AM »
Maybe everything is on autopay and nobody tracks anything at their house.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #4005 on: March 04, 2016, 07:43:38 AM »
One of my fb friends sells essential oils. Sometimes she posts something to the tune of: "Ugh, not feeling well. Thank goodness I have my essential oils to help me feel better!"

She is frequently sick. She also uses a lot of essential oils. Coincidence?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4006 on: March 04, 2016, 07:45:35 AM »
One of my fb friends sells essential oils. Sometimes she posts something to the tune of: "Ugh, not feeling well. Thank goodness I have my essential oils to help me feel better!"

Yeah, probably sick each time she realizes her net income from this "business" is like a quarter an hour.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4007 on: March 04, 2016, 08:42:08 AM »

Yeah, probably sick each time she realizes her net income from this "business" is like a quarter an hour.

Com on be fair.  My old neighbor sells essential oils, and tried to get me and my wife into it.  The company that she sold for has 1000's of people making high 6 figures a year.  There is no way that she is only making 0.25 a hour... you have to make much much more then that to make 6 figures a year
/sacrasm

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4008 on: March 04, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »
Not that this would happen with DD and me (we are both a bit compulsive about checking balances online) but as the parent I would immediately go through my old bills, total the amount my DD had paid, and give her the money. Not even ask if she wants me to do it.  I would just do it. 

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4009 on: March 04, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »

I think essential oils have their uses, but they aren't a cure all.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #4010 on: March 04, 2016, 10:35:25 AM »
Maybe everything is on autopay and nobody tracks anything at their house.

I would think that, but I know for her parents at least they had to call in every month to pay their cable bill. Even still, I have everything automated and still always check to make sure everything is going through. My electric bill didn't go through once for unknown reasons and I had to call and pay it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4011 on: March 04, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »

I think essential oils have their uses, but they aren't a cure all.
Yes, I think I might be buying some soon (tea tree oil) to prevent super lice!!

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #4012 on: March 04, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »
I do like peppermint oil on a warm rice sock over my shoulders to help a tension headache. The combo works better than either alone.

goldensam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4013 on: March 04, 2016, 05:59:15 PM »

I have a friend whose golden retriever was just put down for cancer, and she has been devastated.  She told me yesterday she is looking at spending £800 on a new golden retriever puppy.  I haven't had the heart to tell her that 60% of goldies die of cancer.

My dog was an adult rescue and is officially The Best Dog in All the World.  Any future dogs would also be adult rescues.

I've had four rescues over the years. I'll never get another dog any other way. Two mixed breeds, two Setters. So many animals in need of a home. Spay and neuter please!

I am a volunteer for a golden retriever rescue. We have rescued or rehomed approximately 4,000 goldens, and we mostly cover one major US city and its surrounding areas. The dogs are in foster homes where they are evaluated and matched with approved applicants, so that both the dog and the family end up with the right situation for them.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4014 on: March 06, 2016, 08:55:10 AM »
Dogs are a good yardstick of "good person" for me. If a person treats their dog well then I might expect them to be good people. If they fall for every puppy and then ignore it as it gets older - warning bells. A dog is a lifetime commitment but I've been surprised at how many don't see it that way.

I read this book before adopting, and highly recommend it:  http://www.amazon.com/Successful-Dog-Adoption-Sue-Sternberg-ebook/dp/B00DNL3F3C/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1457278795&sr=1-2&keywords=dog+adoption

My local shelter was totally off on their breed/size prediction for my dog, but I was pretty sure they were wrong when I got him.  They told me he was part Newfoundland and would be really big, but he finished up around 50# and I'm pretty sure he's Border Collie and Retriever cross.  The other dog just showed up in my front yard one day with a broken leg, and she's a great dog too, so sometimes you just get lucky.  I really like this book though, because it tells you how to find a SAFE and people-oriented dog when they're in the stressful shelter environment, what sort of shelter to target (rural vs. urban) and lots of other good info.

Yeah that's a good point. I learned that there is a HUGE difference between a dog lover and a dog owner. Some day I would like to get a dog, but if I do it likely won't be a puppy, they are adorably cute but a ton of work, instead I plan to see what's currently available in a shelter.

Totally agree with Jethrosnose, and that is so good of you, MgoSam!  I visit our local humane society a fair amount and whenever I do, I make sure to spend some time visiting the adult dogs, not just the puppies and cats.  One of my friends set a good example for me -- she took me the first time and spent probably an hour visiting to make sure that she engaged each adult dog who wasn't sleeping.
Our dogs are rescues. I've tried to get others to do the same when they say they are going to get a dog. So far, all have opted to pay a breeder a LOT of $$$$$ for a specific breed puppy. Sigh....
We love our dogs. There is a Kliban cartoon that has a building with a big sign saying "USED CURS".
My wife and I refuse to get animals from anywhere but our local humane society. We thought we were getting a terrier mutt when our dog was a puppy, but now that he's 8+ months old, we're pretty sure he's full-breed APBT . We still recommend to all of our friends that are looking at getting a dog that they get it from a shelter and get a mutt. They are healthier and just as beautiful as any one breed, and a lot of times have more character (but that's just my opinion).

Any tips for this?  I worry that if I just pick a random dog it will not have appropriate temperament or size for my household (eg a dog that needs to run miles everyday).  Does the shelter usually help with that?

Also do any shelters do house training? I heard they are starting to do that now as it ultimately reduces the total work needed by eliminating a lot of cleanup.

I've wanted a dog for a long time but could never justify it given the amount of time I'm away from home.  Now I'm part time so I'd expect to be able to dedicate the time required.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4015 on: March 07, 2016, 11:42:47 AM »
I am surprised that a someone who is interested in FIRE and has almost 1000 posts on this forum is unaware of what the 4% rule actually is.
My apologies, I'm British we share a language but obviously not irony

LOL, I got you, first time around.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #4016 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »
Seen this morning:

"It strikes me as odd how close to retirement age I'll be when I finally pay off my student loans."

DINK. LCOL area. Did not go to school late in life or anything.

I have an embarrassingly high number of student loans myself, but I'll still have mine paid off well before the traditional retirement age (which is what I assume he's referring to).

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #4017 on: March 09, 2016, 01:47:09 PM »
I'm confused by the essential oil MLM thing, is this the same essential oils that my mum used to buy to put in oil burners, or you can add to massage oil - usually around £2 a little bottle? How are these collectible/expensive/MLM fodder?!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4018 on: March 09, 2016, 03:02:59 PM »
I'm confused by the essential oil MLM thing, is this the same essential oils that my mum used to buy to put in oil burners, or you can add to massage oil - usually around £2 a little bottle? How are these collectible/expensive/MLM fodder?!
They are the modern equivalent of snake oil.  Proponents claim that essential oils cure everything from stage fright to cancer (and I'm not exaggerating here).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4019 on: March 09, 2016, 03:15:21 PM »
They are the modern equivalent of snake oil.  Proponents claim that essential oils cure everything from stage fright to cancer (and I'm not exaggerating here).
A  friend who sells the oils just posted this!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4020 on: March 09, 2016, 03:16:21 PM »
So on the local facebook sales page, someone posted a little funny thing about Trader Joe's parking lots (because they suck and are too small).

Most recent response:

"Yeah, I cannot even go there because my Escalade won't fit!"

K-Dogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4021 on: March 10, 2016, 02:04:45 PM »
A girl on my Facebook just posted a survey for her friends. I mistakenly thought at first that she was asking for real feedback on how people felt about her selling mlm to her friends. But nope!

"Can everyone please just take 2 seconds to answer this...Be as honest as you can- I wont be offended! This would really mean a lot to me 😁

💛I already have  a Younique business
💙I have been thinking of ordering younique can you send me info
💖I'm not interested in younique but I love your posts
💜I'd love to start my own business team can you send me info
💚I'd love to sign up but worried I won't do well as "everyone" is doing it
💔I would love to start but am worried about the $99 for the kit.

Please comment which heart relates to you  😘"

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4022 on: March 10, 2016, 02:20:27 PM »
A girl on my Facebook just posted a survey for her friends. I mistakenly thought at first that she was asking for real feedback on how people felt about her selling mlm to her friends. But nope!

"Can everyone please just take 2 seconds to answer this...Be as honest as you can- I wont be offended! This would really mean a lot to me 😁

Well... she said to be honest and that you wouldn't be offended, so there's probably nothing wrong with supplementing her list with a little heart of your own that says:

💜 "I would rather have my tongue torn out with hot pincers than buy or sell this product, I hate the MLM related posts with a fervor generally reserved only for pedophiles, your non-MLM posts don't do one hell of a lot for me either except on rare occasions, and I would pay money to make FailBook filter out all MLM related communication."

Edited to add: maybe instead of a heart you could put an icon for a different body part, like an eyeball or a rectum.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:25:57 PM by TheGrimSqueaker »

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4023 on: March 10, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »

Well... she said to be honest and that you wouldn't be offended, so there's probably nothing wrong with supplementing her list with a little heart of your own that says:

💜 "I would rather have my tongue torn out with hot pincers than buy or sell this product, I hate the MLM related posts with a fervor generally reserved only for pedophiles, your non-MLM posts don't do one hell of a lot for me either except on rare occasions, and I would pay money to make FailBook filter out all MLM related communication."

💔 Fall down a well.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #4024 on: March 10, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »

"Can everyone please just take 2 seconds to answer this...Be as honest as you can- I wont be offended! This would really mean a lot to me <span class="EmojiInput mj11" title="Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes "></span>

<span class="EmojiInput mj35" title="Yellow Heart "></span>I already have  a Younique business
<span class="EmojiInput mj36" title="Blue Heart ::blue_heart::"></span>I have been thinking of ordering younique can you send me info
<span class="EmojiInput mj653" title="Sparkling Heart ::sparkling_heart::"></span>I'm not interested in younique but I love your posts
<span class="EmojiInput mj37" title="Purple Heart ::purple_heart::"></span>I'd love to start my own business team can you send me info
<span class="EmojiInput mj39" title="Green Heart ::green_heart::"></span>I'd love to sign up but worried I won't do well as "everyone" is doing it
<span class="EmojiInput mj41" title="Broken Heart ::broken_heart::"></span>I would love to start but am worried about the $99 for the kit.

Please comment which heart relates to you  <span class="EmojiInput mj7" title="Face Throwing A Kiss "></span>"
So, you replied 🖕then, right?

<span class="EmojiInput mj37" title="Purple Heart ::purple_heart::"></span> "I would rather have my tongue torn out with hot pincers than buy or sell this product, I hate the MLM related posts with a fervor generally reserved only for pedophiles, your non-MLM posts don't do one hell of a lot for me either except on rare occasions, and I would pay money to make FailBook filter out all MLM related communication."
Like the special hell?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:54:15 PM by maco »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4025 on: March 10, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »

"Can everyone please just take 2 seconds to answer this...Be as honest as you can- I wont be offended! This would really mean a lot to me <span class="EmojiInput mj11" title="Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes "></span>

<span class="EmojiInput mj35" title="Yellow Heart "></span>I already have  a Younique business
<span class="EmojiInput mj36" title="Blue Heart ::blue_heart::"></span>I have been thinking of ordering younique can you send me info
<span class="EmojiInput mj653" title="Sparkling Heart ::sparkling_heart::"></span>I'm not interested in younique but I love your posts
<span class="EmojiInput mj37" title="Purple Heart ::purple_heart::"></span>I'd love to start my own business team can you send me info
<span class="EmojiInput mj39" title="Green Heart ::green_heart::"></span>I'd love to sign up but worried I won't do well as "everyone" is doing it
<span class="EmojiInput mj41" title="Broken Heart ::broken_heart::"></span>I would love to start but am worried about the $99 for the kit.

Please comment which heart relates to you  <span class="EmojiInput mj7" title="Face Throwing A Kiss "></span>"
So, you replied 🖕then, right?

<span class="EmojiInput mj37" title="Purple Heart ::purple_heart::"></span> "I would rather have my tongue torn out with hot pincers than buy or sell this product, I hate the MLM related posts with a fervor generally reserved only for pedophiles, your non-MLM posts don't do one hell of a lot for me either except on rare occasions, and I would pay money to make FailBook filter out all MLM related communication."
Like the special hell?

hahah, A+ reference.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4026 on: March 10, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »
Dogs are a good yardstick of "good person" for me. If a person treats their dog well then I might expect them to be good people. If they fall for every puppy and then ignore it as it gets older - warning bells. A dog is a lifetime commitment but I've been surprised at how many don't see it that way.

I read this book before adopting, and highly recommend it:  http://www.amazon.com/Successful-Dog-Adoption-Sue-Sternberg-ebook/dp/B00DNL3F3C/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1457278795&sr=1-2&keywords=dog+adoption

My local shelter was totally off on their breed/size prediction for my dog, but I was pretty sure they were wrong when I got him.  They told me he was part Newfoundland and would be really big, but he finished up around 50# and I'm pretty sure he's Border Collie and Retriever cross.  The other dog just showed up in my front yard one day with a broken leg, and she's a great dog too, so sometimes you just get lucky.  I really like this book though, because it tells you how to find a SAFE and people-oriented dog when they're in the stressful shelter environment, what sort of shelter to target (rural vs. urban) and lots of other good info.

Yeah that's a good point. I learned that there is a HUGE difference between a dog lover and a dog owner. Some day I would like to get a dog, but if I do it likely won't be a puppy, they are adorably cute but a ton of work, instead I plan to see what's currently available in a shelter.

Totally agree with Jethrosnose, and that is so good of you, MgoSam!  I visit our local humane society a fair amount and whenever I do, I make sure to spend some time visiting the adult dogs, not just the puppies and cats.  One of my friends set a good example for me -- she took me the first time and spent probably an hour visiting to make sure that she engaged each adult dog who wasn't sleeping.
Our dogs are rescues. I've tried to get others to do the same when they say they are going to get a dog. So far, all have opted to pay a breeder a LOT of $$$$$ for a specific breed puppy. Sigh....
We love our dogs. There is a Kliban cartoon that has a building with a big sign saying "USED CURS".
My wife and I refuse to get animals from anywhere but our local humane society. We thought we were getting a terrier mutt when our dog was a puppy, but now that he's 8+ months old, we're pretty sure he's full-breed APBT . We still recommend to all of our friends that are looking at getting a dog that they get it from a shelter and get a mutt. They are healthier and just as beautiful as any one breed, and a lot of times have more character (but that's just my opinion).

Any tips for this?  I worry that if I just pick a random dog it will not have appropriate temperament or size for my household (eg a dog that needs to run miles everyday).  Does the shelter usually help with that?

Also do any shelters do house training? I heard they are starting to do that now as it ultimately reduces the total work needed by eliminating a lot of cleanup.

I've wanted a dog for a long time but could never justify it given the amount of time I'm away from home.  Now I'm part time so I'd expect to be able to dedicate the time required.

FYI, I got the dog and the first week has been quite a trial.  Been staying home due to his initial anxiety but I think the methods I'm applying have been working.  Doing a trial run of "theonlinedogtrainer.com" methods and they seem strict but I'm noticing a big change.  Not entirely sure if the change is just that he's settling into the new home or because of the "methods".  If anyone cares to tell me that site is bunk, I'd be glad to hear it. 

The shelter said he's a Lab/Border collie mix, but someone else suggested it could be Lab/Hound.  Anyways, he's a bit bigger than I personally would have liked (time-out means physically lifting this 60 lb, 10 month old and I'm already getting really buff since he needs a few time outs per day so far).

Today I finally left him alone for 2 hours with no issues besides the expected 30 seconds of whining (I monitored using a webcam).

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4027 on: March 10, 2016, 05:57:04 PM »

I looked at this website. It actually says,
Everything has an electrical frequency or vibration, including food, our bodies, and even disease that can be measured in Megahertz (MHz). Frequency is defined as a measurable rate of electrical flow that is constant between any two points.

And then it goes on to describe "good" frequencies, and frequencies that cause disease.

Fortunately, there's an oil for that.

Any EEs want to weigh in on the definition of frequency?

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4028 on: March 10, 2016, 06:10:12 PM »
Any EEsone who paid attention in high school physics want to weigh in on the definition of frequency?

Sure, their definition is completely and utterly incorrect. Big surprise there, right? :-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4029 on: March 10, 2016, 06:28:29 PM »
Any EEsone who paid attention in high school physics want to weigh in on the definition of frequency?

Sure, their definition is completely and utterly incorrect. Big surprise there, right? :-)

They might be confusing resonant frequencies, but I'm not sure every object is resonant

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4030 on: March 10, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »
And then it goes on to describe "good" frequencies, and frequencies that cause disease.

pdgessler is right--It's utterly and completely wrong.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4031 on: March 10, 2016, 06:56:09 PM »
I'm sure it's utterly wrong, but have a fascinating/weird anecdote: an ex-boyfriend's uncle (who I was relatively close to) was an engineer by training.  I don't know what sort of engineer, but I know he started in manufacturing and moved on to consulting roles, and had a B.Eng. and some graduate credits (maybe a M.Eng.).  He bought in to the whole "frequency" thing and purchased a very expensive box which he put on the back of his (very expensive) sports car's driver's seat.

The box was supposed to "negate" the negative frequency caused by driving.  When his nephew (an M.Eng.) asked him what was in the box, he explained that you would negate the effects if you opened the box, so he just trusted in it.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4032 on: March 10, 2016, 08:38:31 PM »
The box was supposed to "negate" the negative frequency caused by driving.  When his nephew (an M.Eng.) asked him what was in the box, he explained that you would negate the effects if you opened the box, so he just trusted in it.

That is some pretty good marketing haha.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4033 on: March 10, 2016, 09:01:17 PM »
One of my high school friends recently announced she had paid off 5 credit cards in the last year.  Combined with a new baby born back in November this sounds like great news, right?

Today she posted that she was confused that she hadn't received her normal stack of bills this last week - oh yeah, she paid off all those credit cards!

But she reminded us all that she now has a truck payment. It's the same as her previous credit cards payments taken together, but at least it's just one bill instead of five, right?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4034 on: March 11, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »

I looked at this website. It actually says,
Everything has an electrical frequency or vibration, including food, our bodies, and even disease that can be measured in Megahertz (MHz). Frequency is defined as a measurable rate of electrical flow that is constant between any two points.

>slowly raises hand
>>forms fist
>>>punches self in face to ease pain

That shit broke my fucking brain. (I'm an EE)

I'm sure it's utterly wrong, but have a fascinating/weird anecdote: an ex-boyfriend's uncle (who I was relatively close to) was an engineer by training.  I don't know what sort of engineer, but I know he started in manufacturing and moved on to consulting roles, and had a B.Eng. and some graduate credits (maybe a M.Eng.).  He bought in to the whole "frequency" thing and purchased a very expensive box which he put on the back of his (very expensive) sports car's driver's seat.

What, a fucking wastewater engineer? A domestic engineer? A social networking engineer?
An EE would never fall for that shit, that's all I know.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4035 on: March 11, 2016, 07:58:59 AM »

What, a fucking wastewater engineer? A domestic engineer? A social networking engineer?

Maybe the box shifted the center of mass of the sports car and gave him perfect 50/50 weight distribution and the added thrill of driving the car realigned the cancerous ion toxons so that Xemu could remove them.  -come on zephyr think that shit out before posting :-P

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #4036 on: March 11, 2016, 08:26:24 AM »

I call dibs on this idea for my new MLM business!  First one goes to MMM, so he can stop riding his silly bike, and take the car everywhere, confident in the knowledge that he has Negated the Negative effects of driving.  Think he'll endorse it for my facebook feed?  :) 

{Now counting the minutes until I am unceremoniously ejected from this forum. . . :)  }

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4037 on: March 11, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »

If you really want to feel bad about yourself, remember that this guy charges 250/hour for consulting (in a flyover state)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4038 on: March 11, 2016, 08:46:13 AM »

If you really want to feel bad about yourself, remember that this guy charges 250/hour for consulting (in a flyover state)

Brad Pitt makes way more than 250$/hr.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4039 on: March 11, 2016, 09:14:19 AM »
And will probably still be working when I'm retired, if he keeps buying dumb shit like that.

Doesn't the dollar sign go before the number? ;)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4040 on: March 11, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
His anti-science stuff doesn't bother me so much because he fundamentally is only hurting himself, I think.  I guess his preaching the gospel is a bit harmful.

The anti-science stuff that makes me want to kick things is the anti-vaccines and (most, not all) anti-GMO stuff.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4041 on: March 11, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »

I forked the English repo years ago so I could make "$" consistent with all other units and be placed on the right of numbers (5 gallons, 8", 60mph, 30°, etc ); I keep submitting pull requests but this enhancement has yet to be merged.  I also run some spelling customization's.

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #4042 on: March 11, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »

I forked the English repo years ago so I could make "$" consistent with all other units and be placed on the right of numbers (5 gallons, 8", 60mph, 30°, etc ); I keep submitting pull requests but this enhancement has yet to be merged.  I also run some spelling customization's.

Trying to fix the repo Master English eh? I've abandoned hope of pushing my dev environment long ago (yes, through pull requests). I haven't pulled since late high school/college, before they changed citations, quotes, etc yet again. This was after Greedycollegebastardcompany9001 updated the repo yet again fixing bug issues by creating redirects and more bugs. They didn't even entertain my idea of dropping the grammar_8 table, or deleting all grammar validation tools and making a new branch.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #4043 on: March 11, 2016, 03:34:17 PM »

It seems obvious that the box contained a high-energy Placebium Reactor. It's well known that observing such a reactor collapses its quantum state, halting production of the subatomic Placebon particles which provide the benefit. That's why you should never open the box. But if you do, sometimes the reactor can be repaired by shipping it, along with a sufficiently large pile of money, off to a licensed Placebo Technician.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #4044 on: March 11, 2016, 03:50:37 PM »

Sometimes I see people write "%20," I guess because they're basing it on where the "$" goes in master.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4045 on: March 11, 2016, 04:12:41 PM »

Must've been an alive dead cat inside.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4046 on: March 11, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »

Not in French! The confusion of being bilingual.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #4047 on: March 12, 2016, 08:41:14 AM »
There is a person on my facebook who really fits that proverb about how people in their 20s try mimic their parents lifestyle while failing to recognise that they're seeing the accumulation of their parents accomplishments across several decades.

I'm pretty sure I've written about her in one of these threads before, because it was really irritating watching her get what could have been an awesome life on hand-delivered to her on a platter... then see her piss it up a wall.  I ended up downgrading her from 'friend' to 'acquaintance' because it was just too much for me, especially when it became clear she valued 'stuff' over people.  Except now all the chickens are coming home to roost and the end result is not pretty.

She's crying poor on facebook because she bought way too much car, house and pet for her income and I'm just cringing.  I did say a few words of caution way back (before I was into MMM/before she bought the car) and was labelled a 'hater' for my trouble. 

I can't say I'm taking any satisfaction in being right.  It's sad that she's made a bunch of huge financial mistakes in her early 20s that will probably haunt her well into her 30s.  It's all kind of awkward, because her life is falling apart just as mine is taking off, and I know she bristles at the successes of others she perceives as 'less deserving' than her.  You could almost say she was one of those 'haters' she accused me of being all those years ago.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4048 on: March 14, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
There is a person on my facebook who really fits that proverb about how people in their 20s try mimic their parents lifestyle while failing to recognise that they're seeing the accumulation of their parents accomplishments across several decades.

I'm pretty sure I've written about her in one of these threads before, because it was really irritating watching her get what could have been an awesome life on hand-delivered to her on a platter... then see her piss it up a wall.  I ended up downgrading her from 'friend' to 'acquaintance' because it was just too much for me, especially when it became clear she valued 'stuff' over people.  Except now all the chickens are coming home to roost and the end result is not pretty.

She's crying poor on facebook because she bought way too much car, house and pet for her income and I'm just cringing.  I did say a few words of caution way back (before I was into MMM/before she bought the car) and was labelled a 'hater' for my trouble. 

I can't say I'm taking any satisfaction in being right.  It's sad that she's made a bunch of huge financial mistakes in her early 20s that will probably haunt her well into her 30s.  It's all kind of awkward, because her life is falling apart just as mine is taking off, and I know she bristles at the successes of others she perceives as 'less deserving' than her.  You could almost say she was one of those 'haters' she accused me of being all those years ago.

Karma's a bitch, eh?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4049 on: March 16, 2016, 11:23:48 AM »
That frequency of disease thing made me close the tab before I knew what I was doing, and I'm the wrong kind of EE (environmental rather than electrical).

There are young-earth creationist geologists, though. Education doesn't guarantee somebody isn't an idiot.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!