Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082415 times)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #900 on: October 14, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
Anyway, I guess it comes down to, I think your friend AND you are both oversimplifying a complex problem. I think a solution that is both rational and humane exists, but requires banks, government, and individuals working together. Perhaps in some communities, housing the homeless in foreclosed homes is a reasonable solution. Perhaps in others, special, low-cost housing needs to be built. In some climates, what about campgrounds for the homeless? What about tiny houses http://occupymadisoninc.com/ ?

I helped build one of the OM tiny houses. The entire thing was about the size of my kitchen (quite a small kitchen by anybody's standards), so the idea that someone who is homeless doesn't "deserve" that amount of help strikes me as very cold. I don't think anybody would consciously choose to live in a space like that, and the majority of chronically homeless people are in their situation because of serious issues that the rest of us have been lucky enough to avoid. Also, the people who are getting the houses in Madison had to participate in a work program (volunteering at the building site for a certain # of hours) to get them, and I think they had to test clean for drugs too, though I'm not certain of that. I met some of them and their gratitude/excitement to finally be getting these teeny tiny homes was touching and heartbreaking.

Just my 2c.

Very, very cool. Those are on East wash, right?

I think the final site is on 3rd off E. Johnson. If you're on Facebook, they're there as "OM Build" and you can follow/volunteer for the project.

ooh sweet I should check this out

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #901 on: October 14, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »
The only "push present" I want is for Mr Tofu to bring me a really good pizza or Chinese takeout.

For each of our children's births, one of my first jobs was getting my wife her favorite sandwich from her favorite deli. Going months without eating cold cuts drove her crazy.
This cracks me up!  I so missed my sandwiches.

With my second son...I got to the hospital at 7:30 am.  He was born at 8:37 am.  They finally moved me to my room around 10:30 am and said "it's almost lunch time, order early!"  I said "do I have to order food from the menu?"  They said no.

I sent my husband immediately to my favorite deli 3 blocks from the hospital.

By the time 24 hours had rolled around, I'd had ALL the things I couldn't have while pregnant, except alcohol.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #902 on: October 14, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »
Anyway, I guess it comes down to, I think your friend AND you are both oversimplifying a complex problem. I think a solution that is both rational and humane exists, but requires banks, government, and individuals working together. Perhaps in some communities, housing the homeless in foreclosed homes is a reasonable solution. Perhaps in others, special, low-cost housing needs to be built. In some climates, what about campgrounds for the homeless? What about tiny houses http://occupymadisoninc.com/ ?

I helped build one of the OM tiny houses. The entire thing was about the size of my kitchen (quite a small kitchen by anybody's standards), so the idea that someone who is homeless doesn't "deserve" that amount of help strikes me as very cold. I don't think anybody would consciously choose to live in a space like that, and the majority of chronically homeless people are in their situation because of serious issues that the rest of us have been lucky enough to avoid. Also, the people who are getting the houses in Madison had to participate in a work program (volunteering at the building site for a certain # of hours) to get them, and I think they had to test clean for drugs too, though I'm not certain of that. I met some of them and their gratitude/excitement to finally be getting these teeny tiny homes was touching and heartbreaking.

Just my 2c.

Very, very cool. Those are on East wash, right?

I think the final site is on 3rd off E. Johnson. If you're on Facebook, they're there as "OM Build" and you can follow/volunteer for the project.
If ya ever want to work on it, let me know. I'd like to. Mustachian work party?
ooh sweet I should check this out

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #903 on: October 14, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
People have completely turned on it's head what a Babymoon actually is. it's a time of staying in with the newborn baby and just enjoying this new little person. Snuggling in as a family and figuring it all out.

It has nothing to do with a vacation, it is actually very Mustachian.

GreyMatters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #904 on: October 15, 2014, 12:44:40 AM »

Another method of using no fee layaway is to buy high demand items, post them on ebay, and only pay items as they sell.  I know someone who bought a bunch of xbox1 and ps4 preorders on layaway and sold them for $800-$1000 a piece when the release date arrived.

Tell me more. PM?

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #905 on: October 15, 2014, 03:21:03 AM »

Another method of using no fee layaway is to buy high demand items, post them on ebay, and only pay items as they sell.  I know someone who bought a bunch of xbox1 and ps4 preorders on layaway and sold them for $800-$1000 a piece when the release date arrived.

Tell me more. PM?
I'm interested to know too..

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #906 on: October 15, 2014, 03:27:28 AM »
We recently had our first and did a staycation for baby moon. I took a week off, really enjoyed all amenities of our apartment (hot tub, swimming pool, etc) and the surroundings (sampled various food trucks and local mom and pop restaurants for dinner, met husband for leisurely lunches and spent a whole day at our fabulous library enjoying all their perks). Husband took two days off as well.... One of the best vacations so far... Made total sense for us since we were always busy at work and even weekends were spent in one project or the other. It was sheer decadence to just relax and not do anything for one whole week.... Minus the hassle of traveling, accommodation, etc

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #907 on: October 15, 2014, 06:16:41 AM »

Tell me more. PM?
I'm interested to know too..

It is simple, you order an item from Walmart on layaway that you anticipate will be in high demand (sells much higher than retail).  You don't actually have to pay for it until you pick it up.  But it is held for you until a month after it is available.  So essentially, Walmart (for example) is your warehouse storing all the stuff that you may or may not sell.  Only really works for high demand items.  Here is a thread discussing doing in for consoles:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6249930-playstation-4-and-xbox-one-pre-orders-wal-mart-in-store-10-down-payment-and-dont-have-to-pick-up-until-12-13-13-full-retail-price-still?v=1

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #908 on: October 15, 2014, 06:30:13 AM »
We didn't have a baby moon since the twins came out at 29 1/2 weeks, before we could have even planned one.  Birth occurred same day as the baby shower.  Even if they didn't come out early, the doctors told us not to travel since it was a high risk pregnancy.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #909 on: October 15, 2014, 06:34:28 AM »
I don't "do" Facebook, but I enjoy reading your posts.  Maybe someone can start a Babymoon thread so that they can post there.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #910 on: October 15, 2014, 06:38:43 AM »
I don't "do" Facebook, but I enjoy reading your posts.  Maybe someone can start a Babymoon thread so that they can post there.

are you saying this thread is getting foamy? :)

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #911 on: October 15, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »

Dear God I hope this becomes a thing!  How amazing would it be to be part of the community that came up with a new interwebs term?

Just imagine seeing this on some other forum when things are derailing badly:

or

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:49:32 AM by odput »

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #912 on: October 15, 2014, 08:55:15 AM »
Maybe after the kids are all out of the house. What would you call that? An Empty Nest Fest?

This is the greatest idea ever. I'm going to start planning mine now. Only 14 years until the youngest is 18....

But seriously, register that name and URL. You could make a killing with an Empty Nest Fest vacation coordination type website. Refer people to a bunch of 25 and older resorts and fancy restaurants with a no children policy. For real. This could become a thing.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #913 on: October 15, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »
Maybe after the kids are all out of the house. What would you call that? An Empty Nest Fest?

This is the greatest idea ever. I'm going to start planning mine now. Only 14 years until the youngest is 18....

But seriously, register that name and URL. You could make a killing with an Empty Nest Fest vacation coordination type website. Refer people to a bunch of 25 and older resorts and fancy restaurants with a no children policy. For real. This could become a thing.

It could be centered around taking their old bedroom and turning it into a storage closet!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #914 on: October 15, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »

It could be centered around taking their old bedroom and turning it into a storage closet!

Screw that! It's the new game room/ sex room/ TV room/ exercise room!

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #915 on: October 15, 2014, 09:44:26 AM »

I thought we were still aiming this at people who have fourteen parties for each baby. It could be turned into a constant party room.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #916 on: October 15, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »

I've had children in the house for 14 years, and have 9 more until the last one turns 18. Just looking at that math is making me tired.

Erica, I'll get on it. :)

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #917 on: October 15, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »
Quote from: tmac link=topic=6907.msg425296#msg425296 date=
[/quote
My mom has had kids in the house for 32 years....and 1 more until the youngest is 18. She said there's advantages to having them young, and advantages to having them when your older, but don't do both :)

That is a great line! 

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #918 on: October 15, 2014, 11:27:54 AM »
I've had children in the house for 14 years, and have 9 more until the last one turns 18. Just looking at that math is making me tired.

My mom has had kids in the house for 32 years....and 1 more until the youngest is 18. She said there's advantages to having them young, and advantages to having them when your older, but don't do both :)

That makes me feel like a total wuss, thanks. ;)

My best friend's mother had five kids -- the first in 1944 and the last in 1970. So that's... 44 years with kids in the house? Is that right? Jeebus...

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #919 on: October 15, 2014, 11:31:53 AM »
The only "push present" I want is for Mr Tofu to bring me a really good pizza or Chinese takeout.

For each of our children's births, one of my first jobs was getting my wife her favorite sandwich from her favorite deli. Going months without eating cold cuts drove her crazy.

Wait, you can't eat cold cuts while you're pregnant?  Let me head back to the threads where I posted about when I want to have kids and delete it all....

Sorry for the foam, I did scroll the facebook and try to find something but not much great.  Did check out my cousin's page, because I hid her from my feed for the obnoxiousness - She posted pictures of $5 off carwash coupons and the comments were all about how she washes her car often in the rain...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #920 on: October 15, 2014, 11:54:53 AM »

Ha ha ha!
I fell into the older crowd.
My aunt had her first at 19 and her last at 38, so that's 19+18 = 37 years of children?  Then her youngest had a baby at 17, so it was probably more like 40.

One of my HS classmates has a 22 year old, a 7 year old, and a 2 year old, so again, that's like 40 years.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #921 on: October 15, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »

That makes me feel like a total wuss, thanks. ;)

My best friend's mother had five kids -- the first in 1944 and the last in 1970. So that's... 44 years with kids in the house? Is that right? Jeebus...
Holy cow that's insane. One scenario of that is having the first at 15 and the last at 41. Where they spread out in between?

This math isn't exact, but it went something like this: She had the first one when she was in her mid 20s, followed by three more over 10 or so years, and the last "oops" one when she was almost 50. The fourth one was just about to leave the nest when the fifth one made her surprise entrance.

And to blow off the foam: This same best friend posts constantly about her purchases on Fb. I think it's because she's trying to prove to her older brothers (all Mercedes-driving doctors and lawyers) that she's a successful adult, not just a whiny baby sister. I wish she could see that they're just jerks and she has real worth as a person, separate from the heavy spending.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #922 on: October 15, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #923 on: October 15, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #924 on: October 15, 2014, 04:41:09 PM »
Yeah... we are past foamy and into dangerous froth lol

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #925 on: October 15, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »

Reminds me of when my friend got divorced years ago - a bunch of us threw him a 'rebachelor party'. 

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #926 on: October 15, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »
eldest child is 25. youngest has 6 more years of school left.

at least we are finally done with Elementary school. that crap seemed to go on forever..

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #927 on: October 15, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #928 on: October 16, 2014, 06:06:44 AM »
That is the foamiest!!!! hahaha!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #929 on: October 16, 2014, 07:14:02 AM »
I feel semi-bad sharing this, because I actually really like this person, but someone posted this on Facebook this morning:

24 more days......I hope Florida is ready for us again!!!!!

This is in reference to another trip to the Magic Kingdom after a mid-September trip. They live in the upper Midwest. The responses were a mixture of incredulity (that was then explained to be jealousy) and "you deserve it!!!" Apparently things have been rather tough at work.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:21:04 PM by justajane »

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #930 on: October 17, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
Sister of a colleague:

"So interest rates remain low for another year, I hope all those with low mortgages put some aside for next year's increases and those with buy to let mortgages don't increase rents next year cause if you do that's just a piss take"

Says the person who sold her house to spend the equity. Which there was a lot of. Then went bankrupt. And it appears is heading the same way again.

"Facepalm"

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #931 on: October 18, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
I feel semi-bad sharing this, because I actually really like this person, but someone posted this on Facebook this morning:

This is in reference to another trip to the Magic Kingdom after a mid-September trip. They live in the upper Midwest. The responses were a mixture of incredulity (that was then explained to be jealousy) and "you deserve it!!!" Apparently things have been rather tough at work.

A couple of years ago, a coworker and her husband went to Disneyland for their "babymoon," which was just so bizarre to me at the time. It should be mentioned they drove there (3 hours each way) in their Cadillac Escalade. And Escalade for two people, and Disneyland for the childless -- I had no words. I wish I'd known about this thread then, LOL!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #932 on: October 18, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »
"So interest rates remain low for another year, I hope all those with low mortgages put some aside for next year's increases and those with buy to let mortgages don't increase rents next year cause if you do that's just a piss take"

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #933 on: October 19, 2014, 02:59:24 AM »
We're expecting baby #4.  You better believe we're having a babymoon.

But babymoon homehandyparents style is this:

We have a wedding to go to, a 5 hour drive from here, next weekend.  A friend of ours, with children of her own, offers to spend the weekend at our house, look after all our kids and feed our cat, out of the goodness of her heart (and we'll make sure the house is stocked with food that she and her kids will eat - so a junk food fiesta for our kids, and business as usual for hers, but I digress).

We phone other friends of ours who live close to the wedding venue and will be crashing in their spare bedroom on Friday and Saturday nights (Wedding is Saturday afternoon).  The babymoon bit?  The joy of knowing that those children I can hear calling out in the night?  They're not mine.  Kids up and about first thing in the morning?  Not my job to feed them.  A car ride for multiple hours, with no insane children's songs playing on the stereo.  And if we stop anywhere on the way, it will not have to be somewhere with a playground.  And we plan to get to our friends' house early enough on the Friday night to do dessert and play some board games :)

Ooooooh yeeeeah.

tccoastguard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #934 on: October 19, 2014, 06:59:57 AM »
The mother of my daughter's friend sells for one of these pyramid retailers called Initial Outfitter. They sell monogrammed junk at insane prices. So this lady posts on Facebook looking for people to sell for her, join her "team" or whatever and says, "if you want a debt free Christmas, sign up with me!"  People go into debt for Christmas?!?  What the fuck for?

Of course they have to purchase initial quantities of products as samples for their parties. Gotta spend money to make money right?  Un-flapjackin-believable.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #935 on: October 20, 2014, 05:56:55 AM »

A couple of years ago, a coworker and her husband went to Disneyland for their "babymoon," which was just so bizarre to me at the time. It should be mentioned they drove there (3 hours each way) in their Cadillac Escalade. And Escalade for two people, and Disneyland for the childless -- I had no words. I wish I'd known about this thread then, LOL!

Eh, I understand Disney without kids. You really get to move through the park and enjoy a lot of things like food/roller coasters, etc. Kids make that a lot more complicated. Now, again, most of this is a lot worse considering their circumstances compared to most of ours so it's probably a stupid move for them.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #936 on: October 20, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »
Eh, I understand Disney without kids. You really get to move through the park and enjoy a lot of things like food/roller coasters, etc. Kids make that a lot more complicated. Now, again, most of this is a lot worse considering their circumstances compared to most of ours so it's probably a stupid move for them.
Agreed!  My wife and I have taken the kids a few times, and as much as the kids have loved it, we want to go just as a couple some time.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #937 on: October 20, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
Just to pile on the foam a bit...I'd love to go to Disneyland without kids...except then I think about how much my kids will enjoy it and I'll probably never do it.  But I like to sit and people watch, look at the flowers, enjoy the live music, things that are not impossible but certainly harder with small kids - also, we don't do rides they can't ride when we go...so I'd love to ride Space Mountain again. My son just got tall enough for Gadget's Go Coaster.  I'll have to get my thrills from that. Ha! 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #938 on: October 20, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »
People have completely turned on it's head what a Babymoon actually is. it's a time of staying in with the newborn baby and just enjoying this new little person. Snuggling in as a family and figuring it all out.

It has nothing to do with a vacation, it is actually very Mustachian.
This is what I thought a babymoon was, I never imagined that taking a vacation before the baby was born was a babymoon!  Just weird.

A babymoon is the first month enjoyed with the baby, the month that you don't leave the house much and get to know your new little one.

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #939 on: October 20, 2014, 11:09:26 AM »
Just to pile on the foam a bit...I'd love to go to Disneyland without kids...except then I think about how much my kids will enjoy it and I'll probably never do it.  But I like to sit and people watch, look at the flowers, enjoy the live music, things that are not impossible but certainly harder with small kids - also, we don't do rides they can't ride when we go...so I'd love to ride Space Mountain again. My son just got tall enough for Gadget's Go Coaster.  I'll have to get my thrills from that. Ha!

Yep, and you can always wait until they're older. My parents took me when I was 15, brother 13, sis 11. We all had a great time, and I suspect my parents too, because we had walkytalkies and they just let us roam (as long as we were always together), while they did their things. We went to lots of rides together, or in various different configurations of family duos and trios, and I think the flexibility of older kids was certainly helpful to enjoy the parks.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #940 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »
My mother took us back to Disney World (we had been as younger kids) when I was 17 and my brother was almost 15. We had a BLAST. More fun than any of us had seven years earlier, I would say.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #941 on: October 20, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
People go into debt for Christmas?!?  What the fuck for?
I had a coworker a couple of years ago saying in March that they were still getting caught up on the mortgage because they got behind during Christmas. I was absolutely flabbergasted that presents too precedence over a roof over their heads
That is just nuts.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #942 on: October 21, 2014, 08:45:45 AM »

Apparently it's not that uncommon, as a CC offer just came in the mail, telling me I'm qualified for $20k limit, "just in time for Christmas."

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #943 on: October 21, 2014, 08:50:26 AM »

Yes, that's the word : )

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #944 on: October 21, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »

Yes, that's the word : )

That's so fetch.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #945 on: October 21, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »

My mom does this, she loves to spend a ton of money every year on useless crap I couldn't care less about.  Then celebrates around Oct/Nov when she finally pays off the previous Christmas so she can start shopping all over again.  I used to beg her not to do it but finally gave up and started an amazon.com wishlist because I figure, if she's going to spend $1,000 on me alone, I might as well get stuff I want.  Unfortunately, she barely looks at it and I still get nothing but useless crap that ends up at Goodwill.  sigh... I really wish she would stop.  Her and my dad don't have much money and are really struggling in retirement, but I have no clue how to make her stop.  She insists it makes her happy.  :(

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #946 on: October 21, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »

Agree.  My wife and I went to Disneyland for a day on our honeymoon, and my sister loves DW.  Obviously there are more mustachian vacations, but I don't see an issue with it being "age appropriate" or whatever for adults.  We're mostly DW people, living in the midwest, and there is a lot to do for adults.

As for justjane's story - if the person is in debt I understand.  However, going multiple times per year isn't an issue to me, either.  I got my sister into MMM, and she's looking to semi-retire in about 10 years, and even with that she goes on a cruise or to DW three times a year.  She's smart about it, she's made it into a side business with Disney travel, but mostly she's single with a good income, a small house and decently low expenses.  Not like most people here, but much better than average.

I don't know. Going to Disneyland twice in the span of one season is pretty extravagant regardless of your finances. I know nothing of how their finances are, but it's a pretty crazy precedent IMO to travel across the country to an expensive locale to unwind from your stressful job. They work at the grocery store in some kind of management capacity. I have no idea what they make.

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #947 on: October 21, 2014, 02:16:49 PM »

My mom does this, she loves to spend a ton of money every year on useless crap I couldn't care less about.  Then celebrates around Oct/Nov when she finally pays off the previous Christmas so she can start shopping all over again.  I used to beg her not to do it but finally gave up and started an amazon.com wishlist because I figure, if she's going to spend $1,000 on me alone, I might as well get stuff I want.  Unfortunately, she barely looks at it and I still get nothing but useless crap that ends up at Goodwill.  sigh... I really wish she would stop.  Her and my dad don't have much money and are really struggling in retirement, but I have no clue how to make her stop.  She insists it makes her happy.  :(

I know this might sound bad, but how about you just refuse outright? "I'm sorry, mom, but I really don't need these things, they don't fit into my house, and I won't take them home. Thank you very much for this one (whatever you do like, to soften the blow), but I'll leave the rest here."

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #948 on: October 21, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »

Suggest to your Mom something she could spend money on that would really be valuable. Maybe she could contribute to your kids' college fund? Or help you save for a down payment, or help payoff a mortgage early? Something that would be a genuine help to you.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #949 on: October 21, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
Bf's ex-roommates (couple) both just got big raises by switching jobs (~40% and ~75% increases). But somehow, I doubt they will find it any more feasible to save for a downpayment than they did before...although for all his eating takeout and having the newest game console and games, he does claim to have paid down $45k in student loans over 2-3 years. So perhaps there's hope...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!