Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081760 times)

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2014, 09:14:56 AM »
The wedding stuff in general on facebook floors me. I had two friends recently get married, huge wedding: engagement photos, wedding photos, big diamond ring, 2k dress, customized invitations, the whole nine yards. It actually made me kind of sad because they're both in the military and in their early 20s- they are now in debt from all the wedding stuff. I don't know, I must be some rare breed of girl who just does not get that crap at all. My fella asked if I wanted all that (I think he felt pressure because our facebook feed has been blowing up with wedding crap). I told him all I want is to wear a pretty dress, go to city hall, and then have a nice seafood dinner somewhere. Facebook is just wedding madness central.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »
The wedding stuff in general on facebook floors me. I had two friends recently get married, huge wedding: engagement photos, wedding photos, big diamond ring, 2k dress, customized invitations, the whole nine yards. It actually made me kind of sad because they're both in the military and in their early 20s- they are now in debt from all the wedding stuff. I don't know, I must be some rare breed of girl who just does not get that crap at all. My fella asked if I wanted all that (I think he felt pressure because our facebook feed has been blowing up with wedding crap). I told him all I want is to wear a pretty dress, go to city hall, and then have a nice seafood dinner somewhere. Facebook is just wedding madness central.

We had that big wedding.  My wife didn't really want it to get as big as it did, but I have a bigger family.  So it had to.  of course, we didn't have to pay for it and both of our parents know how to handle money so it wasn't a big issue. The biggest issue we had was sending out invitations to people that we knew weren't going to come but were very important to us anyway (on my side).  The reason: had the said yes, it would have put us over a threshold.  Except we knew they weren't going to say yes, but my wife kept at: what if they do (well, two were going to be away for their anniversary, one never comes to any family event because they physically can't, and another just never comes -- but yes, we still send the invites because it is the right thing to do).

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
Are you sure it was reenacted?
Positive. The actual engagement was about three months ago, the photo shoot was in December. They had two different sets of pictures - one where they reenacted the engagement, the other were the 'normal' set of 'cute' pics.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »
I know several people who are still paying off their wedding years after the divorce.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »

Oh yeah, the FB wedding stuff is crazy - A friend took out a $20K loan against their paid-off car (a college grad gift from her parents) to add to the $25K her parent were providing for the wedding and honeymoon.  And then told everyone on FB.  I swear we've seen what every part of her wedding is costing. 

We got married by a JP with 23 family members present, took everyone out to dinner at a nice restaurant, then had a small party with cake, ice cream, and good booze.  I wore a sundress that cost me $60, and that I still wear 5 years later.  Total cost <$2,000.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2014, 04:56:25 PM »
We got married by a JP with 23 family members present, took everyone out to dinner at a nice restaurant, then had a small party with cake, ice cream, and good booze.  I wore a sundress that cost me $60, and that I still wear 5 years later.  Total cost <$2,000.

That sounds absolutely lovely :)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »
"Just got our Shun knives" with a picture of 2 knives.  Not knowing what these are, I decided to look them up.  Holy.  Shit.  These are like $300-400 each.  Someone I know just dropped at least $600 on 2 knives.  And no, he's not some gourmet cook.  He's more of a order a pizza or hit up the drive thru type of guy.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »

We got married in our apartment living room and told everyone who came to bring their own food and drink if they wanted something at the reception.  We had people stay with us for 3 days because they were having so much fun they didn't want to leave.  Total cost $50. 

It's not that we were being cheap, that was a significant portion of our monthly income at that time.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2014, 01:12:32 AM »
"Just got our Shun knives" with a picture of 2 knives.  Not knowing what these are, I decided to look them up.  Holy.  Shit.  These are like $300-400 each.  Someone I know just dropped at least $600 on 2 knives.  And no, he's not some gourmet cook.  He's more of a order a pizza or hit up the drive thru type of guy.
Yeah, these are the ones that get me. I don't have any striking examples, but I frequently see people spend a lot of money on things they'll barely use or enjoy. Things they don't even necessarily think they'll get much pleasure from.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2014, 07:23:08 AM »

"Hello, Dominos?   Yes, I'd like a large pepperoni pizza delivered.   ...AND DON'T CUT IT!"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2014, 07:27:52 AM »
Yeah, these are the ones that get me. I don't have any striking examples, but I frequently see people spend a lot of money on things they'll barely use or enjoy. Things they don't even necessarily think they'll get much pleasure from.

Of course you can't use those knives!  That will make them duller!

Panly

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »
"After more than 20 years of buying handbags only from Louis Vuitton, I bought another brand today!!!"

" don't worry, the new brand is not cheaper!"

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2014, 07:44:02 AM »
"After more than 20 years of buying handbags only from Louis Vuitton, I bought another brand today!!!"

/mouth drops

Just...wow

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »
You can get a chef's knife and a paring knife from Shun for under $200. I wouldn't - I like the German-style knives better - but if you are someone who actually cooks that's money well spent.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »

"Hello, Dominos?   Yes, I'd like a large pepperoni pizza delivered.   ...AND DON'T CUT IT!"

HA!

HoneyBadger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »

/mouth drops

Just...wow

I could never understand spending hundreds of dollars to carry around someone else's advertising.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »

Not quite in my social circles, but there are people that spend this much money on pocket knives/bushcraft knives/etc as well without really using them. I'm guessing this is the same kind of thing. Looking for the "perfect" tool that you'll rarely use.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »
and all the skeeball they play

Are you referencing the arcade game for which you exchange money for the chance to throw roll 9 balls at concentric numbered rings - all in hopes of receiving tickets that you can subsequently exchange for items of little worth?

I mean, personally, I enjoy a little skeeball here and there but I couldn't imagine dropping enough quarters at the bottom of the ramp to justify a line in the budget.

I know several people who are still paying off their wedding years after the divorce.

After I became separated, I took her dog to her dad's because she was out of the country for work.  I stayed to talk to him and his wife for a while and during the conversation her step mom dropped this one:

"You could've at least let us finish paying for the wedding!"

Edit:  Consolidated two posts.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:09:54 PM by Fireman »

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2014, 11:43:29 PM »
A friend of mine is in his early 20's and just bought a brand new Evo.

One of the comments:

"Woo hoo! Hot car brother... Worth every penny :o)
It's nice to see you splurge- you deserve it."

Facepalm......

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2014, 02:28:27 AM »
I could never understand spending hundreds of dollars to carry around someone else's advertising.

Coworker of mine was so proud tonight when he showed me a picture of the 4ft by 5ft banner he bought that has a giant Monster (the energy drink) logo on it. He then told me he was disappointed that he didn't get the 5ft by 6ft banner, as it would have covered up the passthrough between his kitchen and living room. Uh ok.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
What amazes me sometimes at facebook is some people have 800 and more friends.   My friend went to Britain just for the weekend and announce it on facebook.  He tells everyone that he doesn't plan his trips and just go at the spur of the moment.  He claims that he might not be around tomorrow so why save. 

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
This non-mustachian friend responded with how horrible it was to deprive kids of the Disney experience and that it should be a priority.

Ugh.  Just last night an often passive aggressive FB friend posted that she would love to get together for a restaurant dinner but that "You just can't count on BPA for these things," so I would be left out.  The students wanted to get together with both of us.  She knows that I am choosing to allocate my money elsewhere, but is one of these types that if you don't live your life like she does, you are living it wrong.  I invite people over for tea and dessert, but that doesn't cut it since it's not a restaurant meal.

She's also told me in the past:
1.  That my kids would have no fond memories of childhood because we don't have a car.  Forget about Disney.  It's like it's child abuse to be frugal.
2.  That she's frugal because despite the fact that she eats in restaurants at least once a day, she stocks up on tuna when it's on sale.
3.  She never knows how much money she has in the bank or when pay day is. 
4.  Told a long drawn out FWP story about the expense and pain in the ass it is to get the ice maker in her refrigerator fixed.  I told her, "I paid 97 cents for an ice cube tray.  When it breaks, it will cost me 97 cents to buy a new one."  Not that I expect my ice cube tray to ever break.  I can't give sympathy for that.

Overall she is a good person, but there are times I would like to plow her in the head.  :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
This non-mustachian friend responded with how horrible it was to deprive kids of the Disney experience and that it should be a priority. 

WHAT?!?

Well I guess I can blame most, if not all of my problems on the fact that my parents couldn't afford to take me to Disneyland. Often I think about how my life would have been different, fuller, richer, funner if only they had thought about taking us to see the Disney castle instead of providing 3 square meals a day and shodding my little kid feet in warm boots to get me through the winter.
Disneyland blows my mind, and not in a wow, that is so cool kind of way. We have friends who have taken their 5 year old to Disneyland 8 times. Yes...8. They were going to take her this year at Christmas but she's just so over Disneyland and wanted more presents instead.  Every once in a while one of my kids will bring Disneyland up because someone they know is going, but if we're gonna shell out our hard earned money on a holiday, I'm going somewhere with awesome food, lazy beaches and warm weather, they are ok with the tradeoff.
I live about an hour or 1.5 hours north of Disneyland, and some people are really into it.  My 7 yo will occasionally ask about it "when are we going to go?  Everyone I know has been!"  Which of course, is not true.

Anyway, it's ridiculously expensive.   You want to know how I am saving money on Disney?  I am the only person who plans trips or vacations in this house.  And last July I went on strike.  Disney?  Not gonna happen.

It will be interesting to see how long we can go without any kind of trip.  We have a camping trip planned to the CA desert this may for a friend's birthday party.  But that's it.

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »

WHAT?!?

Well I guess I can blame most, if not all of my problems on the fact that my parents couldn't afford to take me to Disneyland. Often I think about how my life would have been different, fuller, richer, funner if only they had thought about taking us to see the Disney castle instead of providing 3 square meals a day and shodding my little kid feet in warm boots to get me through the winter.
Disneyland blows my mind, and not in a wow, that is so cool kind of way. We have friends who have taken their 5 year old to Disneyland 8 times. Yes...8. They were going to take her this year at Christmas but she's just so over Disneyland and wanted more presents instead.  Every once in a while one of my kids will bring Disneyland up because someone they know is going, but if we're gonna shell out our hard earned money on a holiday, I'm going somewhere with awesome food, lazy beaches and warm weather, they are ok with the tradeoff.
I live about an hour or 1.5 hours north of Disneyland, and some people are really into it.  My 7 yo will occasionally ask about it "when are we going to go?  Everyone I know has been!"  Which of course, is not true.

Anyway, it's ridiculously expensive.   You want to know how I am saving money on Disney?  I am the only person who plans trips or vacations in this house.  And last July I went on strike.  Disney?  Not gonna happen.

It will be interesting to see how long we can go without any kind of trip.  We have a camping trip planned to the CA desert this may for a friend's birthday party.  But that's it.
I'm 25, I grew up with the disney movies and all that. I never really had the huge desire to go there any time in my life. Maybe some day but as a kid I knew my parents wouldn't do it and probably lost interest if I ever had any.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »
I have to say that I really enjoyed Disneyland as a kid and have some great memories from there.  But it was more of a "every 10 years" kind of thing than every year.  I actually just went back and it was great to bring back the old memories.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
Female friend of mine recently posted close to 100 pictures of her 'engagement shoot'. That's right, they hired a professional photographer and restaged the actual process of engagement (the entire evening), then added some cheese fake oh-gosh-look-at-how-much-in-love-we-are-strolling-through-that-garden-holding-a-lantern pictures.

I didn't even know there was such as thing as an engagement shoot. What's next, first-date-shoots?
You know pregnancy shoots are common now too, don't you?

But before that yet after the wedding is the "Trash the Dress" shoot. Google it, you won't like it! haha  :)

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »
The problem with disneyland is that I think I have memories from going there, but I'm not really sure whether they are from my life or from pictures I've seen of other people there.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »

But before that yet after the wedding is the "Trash the Dress" shoot. Google it, you won't like it! haha  :)

New side hustle: conception shoots.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
I didn't go to Disneyworld until I was into my 30's and our inlaws paid for it.
I was grateful to have the all American D experience without having to pay for it. It's a strange place and I liked parts of it more than I though I would. But overall, I've always disliked Disneyfication of great children's books so I went into it jaundiced.

aclarridge

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

That just might be the next yuppie craze. I'm serious - I'm pretty sure some people would go for that.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2014, 01:51:26 PM »
I was grateful to have the all American D

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »

That just might be the next yuppie craze. I'm serious - I'm pretty sure some people would go for that.

hard to make money though if your competition will do it for free...

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2014, 01:57:13 PM »

I actually LOL'd

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »

There are a lot of folks on CL looking to produce this very type of material!

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »
I was grateful to have the all American D

Haha was not expecting some quality michael scott humor when entering this forum - A++

The element of surprise can do wonders for humor

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »

Haha was not expecting some quality michael scott humor when entering this forum - A++

The element of surprise can do wonders for humor

It helps that I'm an 8 year old boy

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
Just seen on Facebook: from a self-deprecating friend whose "cheap meals" are getting a pizza delivered, a photo of a group with the caption "In 2013, I will cook my own food. First attempt tonight!"

She and her family were all sitting around the grill of a Korean bbq restaurant, smiling broadly at the camera.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2014, 07:54:25 AM »
A friend posted a picture of "Baby's first trip to Disney World" (or Land....whichever is in Cali). The baby is less than a month old, how much fun can it really have at Disney? And how much more fun can the parents have hauling an infant around Disney than anywhere not horrificly expensive?

My wife wanted to take our two kids (our younger would be less than 1, oldest is 4) to Disney because the oldest is in the princess stage..  We do Disney on Ice every year. Don't get me wrong, our daughter loves the shows..  But the thought of having to stop every few hours in the park to do a diaper change, feeding, or figure out napping.. just does nothing for me.

aclarridge

« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2014, 09:04:04 AM »

Imagine a professional photographer marketing themselves with a photoshoot of a couple models in "artful" positions, focusing on them kissing or something with the actual nudity obscured by the bokeh/shadows. I'm telling you, could be the next yuppie craze.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2014, 10:01:36 PM »

ha ha as long as you sign rights away to put it up on the web.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »
I was told before I die I had to go to disney.   

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2014, 10:37:06 AM »

That's awesome!  Don't go.  Live forever.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
My brother and his wife have season passes to Disneyland.  I get pics on FB at least twice a week of my niece in princess dresses at the park.  They have fun with it, but good grief...I can't imagine.   We went there once with our kids and that was plenty. 

This is my brother who lost his house due to foreclosure.  I wish I could shake some sense into him. 

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
One person I know on Facebook is actually quite Mustachian -- at least in one particular way -- she regularly posts photos of near-zero-dollar receipts from various stores or restaurants she and her husband have visited, showing examples of "extreme couponing" or other such massive discounts (like "free meal on your birthday").

Just to comment on the Disney theme, last year I went on a week-long trip to Walt Disney World with my then-girlfriend and a couple of her friends. Definitely not a Mustachian endeavor by any stretch, and very out of character for me, but hey -- live and learn. :-) It was a fun time, and I enjoyed seeing the parks. My parents had taken me to Magic Kingdom when I was probably 7 or 8 years old, and Epcot when I was around 12, but I didn't remember either trip very well. It was interesting seeing those places again after a couple of decades, and seeing the newer parks as well. I also just admire the craftsmanship and engineering that goes into the parks. I don't regret going, but I certainly could have spent a lot less doing it. And I certainly wouldn't go every year -- once every couple of decades seems about fine, if you are going to do it at all.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
My brother and his wife have season passes to Disneyland.  I get pics on FB at least twice a week of my niece in princess dresses at the park.  They have fun with it, but good grief...I can't imagine.   We went there once with our kids and that was plenty. 

This is my brother who lost his house due to foreclosure.  I wish I could shake some sense into him.

If I lived close to a park, you bet your ass I'd get a season pass (in retirement).  I'd definitely get my money's worth!

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »

That's awesome!  Don't go.  Live forever.

Nah, it totally screws with the 4% safe withdrawal rule. 

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »
I have so many friends with season passes to Disneyland. It hurts me just thinking about it. I don't even want to go to Disneyland more than once in a lifetime and there are people who go multiple times every year. My Facebook is constantly exploding with pictures from Disneyland. Many from people who can barely even afford to pay rent.

I also had a conversation a couple days ago with a friend who just returned from Disney and I asked her about the cost. She didn't give me specific numbers, but said that it's totally worth it to stay at the Grand Californian. I looked it up: a weekend--2 DAYS!!--at the Grand Californian plus a park hopper pass for two people is over $1500! And it even says it's a special winter offer, presumably it would cost even more in the summer!

And people wonder why they can't manage to save any money.

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
The Grand Californian is very nice, though I would never actually stay there. When you live less than an hours drive from Disneyland it can make it pretty frugal to get the pass. If you get the one with restrictions it's about $400, if you manage to go there 25 times a year it's only $16 a go (cheaper than a movie w/concessions), and I know people who go weekly. Having said that I've never been to the park, only Downtown Disney which is "free" (aka you have to buy something to get your parking validated).

The families with multiple kids who pay $100 a day per kid for the park hopper pass, not counting travel or lodging though. That's crazy!

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2014, 03:47:42 PM »
I'm in the Bay Area, so none of my friends are locals - every trip to Disneyland involves either a flight or a long car ride and some form of lodging. I'm sure they're not all staying at the most expensive Disney resorts, but I don't think they're all staying with local friends either.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »
I was talking with my kids about Disneyland and was considering taking them a few years ago.  They lead pretty sheltered lives, so they asked me what it was like.  After I said it was a big place with a bunch of rides, but you had to stand in line a lot, and pay a lot for mediocre food, and there were a ton of people there, and you had to walk like half a mile from the parking lot to the front entrance, and that many of the visitors were cranky and tired and stressed (<- those are from my Disney memories)...they decided they didn't want to go.

We did go to Sea World / San Diego a few years later and that was pretty fun.