Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081866 times)

GrayGhost

• Bristles
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1350 on: January 07, 2015, 11:58:04 PM »
I believe Jacob over at ERE mentioned buying a $100 suit, which seems shocking for a guy who only spends $5,000 a year (or whatever it is). He pointed out, however, that as he will wear the suit for about a decade, the annual cost of the suit is actually quite low.

I think we can take this line of thinking to a parka. It might have a high initial investment, but if you use it for many years and it genuinely increases the quality of your life, then I'd say go for it.

The problem our consumer culture runs into is when they buy a parka, and then another one the next year, along with a trendier pair of shoes, and a $80 scarf, and on, and on, and on.

Remember, MMM's philosophy isn't to be cheap, it's to live the good life at a cut cost.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1351 on: January 08, 2015, 11:42:51 AM »
I just have to chime in on the parka debate.  It was -59 deg celcius here this morning with the wind chill applied.  Yes I could have bought a cheap winter jacket, but they are not as wind proof, nor as warm.  At -59C this needs to be very warm, and thus a good winter jacket is what you need.  If you can find one on sale that is great, but I am not going to cheap out when my skin can literally freeze in seconds.  Jackets like shoes... you get what you pay for. And they last much much longer.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1352 on: January 08, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »
FB "Friend":   "Thank God gas prices are down.  I just filled up my SUV and for once I can buy gas and food this week."

Me:  "Why don't you take advantage of the gas price slump to sell the SUV and buy a fuel-efficient car?"

Response:  "But I need the SUV for work and to tow stuff."

Note:  "Friend" is nurse.  Maybe she is hauling patients around in the SUV?

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1353 on: January 08, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Sometimes people try to extend frugality beyond the scope of their experience. Some things actually do cost a bit of money to buy properly.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1354 on: January 08, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »
A friend posted:

At the PX with a coworker and he drops this, "I don't know why I buy shampoo, I'm bald. I guess I like my head to smell different than the rest of my body."

Ha! Well, if he's bald, he's probably using so little that a bottle will last a year or so.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1355 on: January 08, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »

Have you seen patients recently? Hamplanets abound. Maybe she should get a superduty pickup truck; at the current rate, a simple SUV won't cut it to haul around the deathfats. :)

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1356 on: January 08, 2015, 01:22:30 PM »

Have you seen patients recently? Hamplanets abound. Maybe she should get a superduty pickup truck; at the current rate, a simple SUV won't cut it to haul around the deathfats. :)

Fair point.  She needs a super duty pickup with a winch and lift.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1357 on: January 12, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
FB "Friend":   "Thank God gas prices are down.  I just filled up my SUV and for once I can buy gas and food this week."

Me:  "Why don't you take advantage of the gas price slump to sell the SUV and buy a fuel-efficient car?"

That's what old beater trucks are for!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1358 on: January 12, 2015, 11:57:52 AM »

That's what old beater trucks are for!

I'm seeing a lot of people posting about cheap gas is, which is fine, but for the people that are buying SUV and other gas inefficient vehicles, do they realize that gas can easily go back to where it was? It really wouldn't take much for the price of oil to skyrocket....heck if Iran threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz (not actually attempted to do so, just tweeted anything about it), the price would jump $10/barrel overnight. And since so much of the government's revenue comes from the price of oil, they have an incentive to do so.

I should add that the Iran part was just an example as to how sensitive the price of oil is. With gas prices I have noticed that stations are quick to raise prices should the price of oil go up, but are extremely quick to lower them.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1359 on: January 12, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »
https://madcapcoffee.com/buy/coffee/cup-of-excellence

This link was on a facebookers wall.....  Underneath comments were:
FB1- I cant justify this on coffee.
OP - It coffee, and you deserve it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1360 on: January 12, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »

How much does a regular pound of coffee cost?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1361 on: January 12, 2015, 01:41:39 PM »
I just have to chime in on the parka debate.  It was -59 deg celcius here this morning with the wind chill applied.  Yes I could have bought a cheap winter jacket, but they are not as wind proof, nor as warm.  At -59C this needs to be very warm, and thus a good winter jacket is what you need.  If you can find one on sale that is great, but I am not going to cheap out when my skin can literally freeze in seconds.  Jackets like shoes... you get what you pay for. And they last much much longer.
brrr

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1362 on: January 12, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »

Costco's whole bean estate coffees vary from good to exceptional and they're $5/lb. Stuff like Folgers preground in the tin are more like $3/lb. And even the snooty expensive stuff from the grocery store that's popped in the store and flavored right there is only $10/lb.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1363 on: January 12, 2015, 02:23:46 PM »

Costco's whole bean estate coffees vary from good to exceptional and they're $5/lb. Stuff like Folgers preground in the tin are more like $3/lb. And even the snooty expensive stuff from the grocery store that's popped in the store and flavored right there is only $10/lb.
Wow!  How many cups of coffee can you make from a pound? 

Lia-Aimee

• Stubble
« Reply #1364 on: January 12, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »
Re: parkas, thanks for all the suggestions!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1365 on: January 13, 2015, 06:08:00 AM »

The Costco/BJs store brand ground is actually pretty tasty. Folgers and maxwell house taste like cigarette ashes.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1366 on: January 13, 2015, 07:09:10 AM »

The Costco/BJs store brand ground is actually pretty tasty. Folgers and maxwell house taste like cigarette ashes.

I recently got a large bag of the Costco coffee beans based on what everyone on this forum says. Prior to that I got a large bag of Dunkin' Donuts coffee beans from Costco because they were on sale.

The dunkin' donuts coffee was was not bad, but not great. The costco one kinda sucks honestly. It's got a sweet taste to it and it's very light. I drink my coffee black, so no cream or sugar or anything else.

Maybe the Costco one is good if you add a lot of creamer or something? Anyone have suggestions for other Costco coffee's to try?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1367 on: January 13, 2015, 07:18:28 AM »
I've been buying the CostCo San Franscisco Bay (think that's the brand) organic Rainforest Blend for several years and love it.  Price just popped back up from $14.99 to $16.99 for 3#, which is still pretty cheap.  They make a French roast too, if you prefer a really dark roast; the Rainforest I'd call medium-dark.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1368 on: January 13, 2015, 09:02:57 AM »

Madcap is here in our hometown.

Reading the description, looks like they are going for the ultra foodies/coffee connoisseurs, I don't drink coffee, but it is an excellent coffee shop. They work well with the growers and are beyond fair trade.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1369 on: January 13, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
Although I am not saying you should buy it, or anyone else that doesn't have the means to, but how is this so different than spending $100 on a meal out to eat for a treat, this person could enjoy a great cup every morning for a few weeks I assume.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1370 on: January 13, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »
Although I am not saying you should buy it, or anyone else that doesn't have the means to, but how is this so different than spending $100 on a meal out to eat for a treat, this person could enjoy a great cup every morning for a few weeks I assume.
That's what I was thinking.  From what I've gathered on this forum, drinks at Starbucks are ~$5.  So he could have 20 cups of coffee at home in order to break even. 

Maybe I deserve a facepunch, but I buy nice loose leaf tea for my home and office.  The thought of picking up a hot tea at a restaurant or Starbucks (or Peet's) is NOT an option.  The quality isn't there.  Could I spend less on tea?  Of course.  Bob W frequently gets 100s of tea bags from WalMart for a few dollars (correct me if I'm wrong). 

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1371 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
I order loose leaf tea from Upton Tea Importers and use it to make iced tea, which I drink nearly.every day at breakfast and lunch. I spend probably $50-70 for a year's supply, which compares favorably with buying bagged tea at the grocery.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1372 on: January 13, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
I order loose leaf tea from Upton Tea Importers and use it to make iced tea, which I drink nearly.every day at breakfast and lunch. I spend probably $50-70 for a year's supply, which compares favorably with buying bagged tea at the grocery.
Thanks!  I'm looking at the website right now.  Most of my loose leaf teas are gifts, but I do run out of my favorite (and restock at $3/oz). 

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1373 on: January 13, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
Thanks!  I'm looking at the website right now.  Most of my loose leaf teas are gifts, but I do run out of my favorite (and restock at $3/oz).

Because I'm a prissy pants who is picky about tea, I buy loose tea. My compromise favorite is Yunnan Noir from Adagio.com where it costs $28.90 a pound for really good tea if you have it on auto-delivery (which I do). I used to buy from Upton Tea Importers (and sometimes still do) but for my morning quaff, I find that the Yunnan Noir is the best for the price.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1374 on: January 13, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

Because I'm a prissy pants who is picky about tea, I buy loose tea. My compromise favorite is Yunnan Noir from Adagio.com where it costs $28.90 a pound for really good tea if you have it on auto-delivery (which I do). I used to buy from Upton Tea Importers (and sometimes still do) but for my morning quaff, I find that the Yunnan Noir is the best for the price.

I am a HUGE fan of  Teasource, it's a local tea shop here in Minnesota and they do ship nationally. Please take a look at them, the owner is a really nice guy and I would like them to get more business. I've tried quite a few of their teas, please let me know if you have any questions about anything there.* If you like herbal teas, I highly recommend Evening in Missoula. Their website is Teasource.com.

*I realize I sound like a shill for them, I'm not. What I am is a HUGE fan of local businesses that have awesome employees and owners.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1375 on: January 13, 2015, 02:32:49 PM »

I am a HUGE fan of  Teasource, it's a local tea shop here in Minnesota and they do ship nationally. Please take a look at them, the owner is a really nice guy and I would like them to get more business. I've tried quite a few of their teas, please let me know if you have any questions about anything there.* If you like herbal teas, I highly recommend Evening in Missoula. Their website is Teasource.com.

*I realize I sound like a shill for them, I'm not. What I am is a HUGE fan of local businesses that have awesome employees and owners.

I love good tea! It is one of the areas I have to exercise great control or I end up with a house filled with tea and a depleted bank account. Teasource looks good. I've never had "Dark Tea", have you? Is it similar to puerh in earthiness?

If I order from them, should I mention you? I know some tea sites give tea credit if you recommend someone.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1376 on: January 13, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »

I love good tea! It is one of the areas I have to exercise great control or I end up with a house filled with tea and a depleted bank account. Teasource looks good. I've never had "Dark Tea", have you? Is it similar to puerh in earthiness?

If I order from them, should I mention you? I know some tea sites give tea credit if you recommend someone.

Yeah I hear ya! I went through and looked at how many teas I have and right now I have 10 at my place, and probably a ton more at my parents. Thankfully almost all are 4oz or less, and many were gifts. My freight forwarded sent me a few kilos of good oolong when he discovered that I love tea, probably one of my favorite gifts as he had to handcarry it with him when he came to the US.

I don't know they give a credit or anything, either way don't worry about it. I'm just happy that you like their tea. Dark Tea is similar to puerh, but the flavor is different. I LOVE puerh's earthiness, but I haven't gotten into dark tea. I believe that most dark teas are intended to be consumed promptly, whereas puerhs age wonderfully. For the flavor, the dark teas I've tried are hit and miss. I believe I had this a few months ago and thought it was good.

http://www.teasource.com/tea-products/Dark_Tea/5003.html

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1377 on: January 13, 2015, 05:18:32 PM »

Yeah I hear ya! I went through and looked at how many teas I have and right now I have 10 at my place, and probably a ton more at my parents. Thankfully almost all are 4oz or less, and many were gifts. My freight forwarded sent me a few kilos of good oolong when he discovered that I love tea, probably one of my favorite gifts as he had to handcarry it with him when he came to the US.

I don't know they give a credit or anything, either way don't worry about it. I'm just happy that you like their tea. Dark Tea is similar to puerh, but the flavor is different. I LOVE puerh's earthiness, but I haven't gotten into dark tea. I believe that most dark teas are intended to be consumed promptly, whereas puerhs age wonderfully. For the flavor, the dark teas I've tried are hit and miss. I believe I had this a few months ago and thought it was good.

http://www.teasource.com/tea-products/Dark_Tea/5003.html
This is the best conversation.  I love loose leaf tea, but I'm surrounded by coffee snobs that talk about poo coffee (seriously).  I'm so glad I'm not alone in my high quality tea love. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1378 on: January 14, 2015, 07:22:51 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't care about tea? A whole page of tea foam.  I keep checking this thread because it was amusing me, and keep getting disappointed that it's just a tea discussion. 

DSA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1379 on: January 14, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »
I also prefer loose leaf tea, though the way I prefer to get it is to go to a nearby Asian grocery store and get whatever loose leaf they have. I feel that helpfully avoids the "trendy premium" a lot of tea shops have. I recently got a pound of jasmine tea for about $6.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #1380 on: January 14, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't care about tea?

Yes.

OK, just kidding.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1381 on: January 14, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »
I also prefer loose leaf tea, though the way I prefer to get it is to go to a nearby Asian grocery store and get whatever loose leaf they have. I feel that helpfully avoids the "trendy premium" a lot of tea shops have. I recently got a pound of jasmine tea for about $6.

Yeah, they have some great deals. Good price! I do get some teas from the Asian grocery store, though I've noticed that they are great for safe bets, for anything more adventurous I will go to Teasource. I should note that they have seats and you can order their tea by the pot (2 or 4 cups), and will meet up with a friend or two there. Would much prefer this to meeting at Starbucks.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1382 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't care about tea? A whole page of tea foam.  I keep checking this thread because it was amusing me, and keep getting disappointed that it's just a tea discussion.

Now you got me thinking about a hot cup of milky tea with foam on top... muy delicioso...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1383 on: January 14, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »
as long as we are going off topic

I think this joke works equally as well with tea.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1384 on: January 14, 2015, 08:53:30 AM »
I like video games too, so you won't be hearing any foamy complaints from me!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1385 on: January 14, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »
as long as we are going off topic

I think this joke works equally as well with tea.

LOL
I quit my WoW addiction 3.5 years ago, but I'm amused that I understood every word.

FTR: Go to Grizzly Hills, if only for the background music.

J'onn J'onzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1386 on: January 14, 2015, 09:49:35 AM »
For The Horde!!!

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1387 on: January 14, 2015, 10:12:56 AM »
Why not just overcome your caffine dependency and just drink water? Coffee and tea are so overpriced, No True Mustachian™ would ever drink them.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1388 on: January 14, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
Why not just overcome your caffine dependency and just drink water? Coffee and tea are so overpriced, No True Mustachian™ would ever drink them.

Which is weird because MMM drinks coffee.  So MMM is not Mustachian.  Mind = Blown.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1389 on: January 14, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »

Which is weird because MMM drinks coffee.  So MMM is not Mustachian.  Mind = Blown.

He's a false prophet.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1390 on: January 14, 2015, 12:36:49 PM »
But his profits aren't false!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1391 on: January 14, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »
Touche.  All hail the mustache!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1392 on: January 14, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

He's a false prophet.

We should follow the gourd.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1393 on: January 14, 2015, 04:23:37 PM »
With the TM I see you're probably pretty self aware and may be honestly asking. So I've gotta say - it's not a caffeine dependency, and it costs hardly anything.

I use an astounding six tablespoons of coffee when I make a french press worth, which is twice what an ordinary human would probably use. That's three ounces by volume and probably something like three-quarters of an ounce by weight. As mentioned above, my coffee costs me $5/lb. So for my crazy-strong, ultra-gourmet coffee, I'm paying approximately 25c/brew or 8c/cup. I haven't had coffee in three weeks or so, but damn if I don't enjoy it a whole lot when I do. It's a cheap thrill.

As for the tea - no way mi casa would function without a gallon of the stuff a day. You can take my oxygen before my iced tea. (At least it's not soda.)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1394 on: January 14, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
With the TM I see you're probably pretty self aware and may be honestly asking. So I've gotta say - it's not a caffeine dependency, and it costs hardly anything.

I use an astounding six tablespoons of coffee when I make a french press worth, which is twice what an ordinary human would probably use. That's three ounces by volume and probably something like three-quarters of an ounce by weight. As mentioned above, my coffee costs me $5/lb. So for my crazy-strong, ultra-gourmet coffee, I'm paying approximately 25c/brew or 8c/cup. I haven't had coffee in three weeks or so, but damn if I don't enjoy it a whole lot when I do. It's a cheap thrill.

As for the tea - no way mi casa would function without a gallon of the stuff a day. You can take my oxygen before my iced tea. (At least it's not soda.)

I think of tea is the most affordable luxury in the world!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1395 on: January 14, 2015, 07:16:30 PM »
This was my Facebook status last night:

"May you pick up your tea when it’s exactly the right temperature, and may you happen to glance out the window when the light is just how you like it."

I'm a rare poster, but I check it daily.  I work in community arts and we do a lot of communicating through Facebook groups and pages. 

Now for the the "overheard" part.  I got an invite to a friend's (acquaintance's) 30th birthday party.  She lives in the town I moved away from 8 years ago.  I have had no contact with her in at least 6 years.  I thought that was kind of nice, maybe she just invited every one on her friends list, she was the one hosting.  Two days later I got an email from Adagio teas that included her wish list for her birthday...  then more reminders about her party...

no. thank. you. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1396 on: January 14, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
The local news paper posted this just now... Not antimustachian but it made me raise an eyebrow!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1397 on: January 15, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »

These days the quality and perception of coffee has become such an obsession for people that it's socially more acceptable to admit you dumpster drive than that you drink Maxwell House coffee. Well, since I write under a pseudonym anyway, I'll come out of the closet.

I drink Maxwell House and Folgers coffee - whichever is on sale at Costco. I find if you throw enough grounds into the coffee maker, it tastes fine. Sure, I'm not an idiot. Other, more expensive brands taste better, but since I major on quantity, I can't spend as much on the quality. It works for us, although I have "nicer" (the Aldi organic brand) coffee laying around for people who hyperbolically wax like above.   

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1398 on: January 15, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »
Facebook today for VHS Tapes:

OP: “38 vhs tapes for $20 obo... Message me if you're interested”
Response: “I AM. but i need about 1 week to give you cash.”

This person needs a week to raise $20.  WTF?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1399 on: January 15, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »
Facebook today for VHS Tapes:

OP: “38 vhs tapes for $20 obo... Message me if you're interested”
Response: “I AM. but i need about 1 week to give you cash.”

This person needs a week to raise $20.  WTF?

Honestly i'm more perplexed that someone wants to purchase a lot of 38 vhs tapes.