Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081922 times)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3600 on: December 17, 2015, 09:52:01 AM »
We need an "anti-anti-mustachian overheard on facebook" thread, like we do for work.  Since we don't, I'll plop this one here:
"My hubby keeps asking me what I want for Christmas... I just want a new can opener and some sleep... Again!"
I asked for windshield wipers and replacement bottles for the soda stream
My husband asked for a new backpack, because his broke

I asked for money so I can buy shares in index funds or whatever else DW and I and up needing/wanting.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3601 on: December 17, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
We need an "anti-anti-mustachian overheard on facebook" thread, like we do for work.  Since we don't, I'll plop this one here:
"My hubby keeps asking me what I want for Christmas... I just want a new can opener and some sleep... Again!"
I asked for windshield wipers and replacement bottles for the soda stream
My husband asked for a new backpack, because his broke

I asked for money so I can buy shares in index funds or whatever else DW and I and up needing/wanting.

I asked for socks, medicated lip balm, and hand cream as stocking stuffers (aka: give me the present of not having to go shop for boring shit!). My husband is recieving the present of getting his piano fixed and tuned (because he actively plays it a lot but a pedal is broken and needs to be soldered back on, and also it needs tuning). Also some stocking stuffers, just because.

When my mother asked what I wanted/needed (and wouldn't accept $ as an answer), I listed: warm winter coat for playing in the snow with our kid, warm winter boots, warm robe, flannel nightgown, books from my Amazon wishlist (carefully edited to be ONLY the books I couldn't get from the library/interlibrary loan system).

Seriously, though: all things on my list are things that I would value, that would make my life better, that I would be grateful to recieve, and that I would use until they wore out (hopefully years from now). Isn't that the hallmark of an excellent gift?

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3602 on: December 17, 2015, 10:20:09 AM »
"Landlords are scum"
which really gets on my nerves because my tenant is making my life miserable since months.
I politely disagreed, and the reply was #notalllandlords and now I want to punch the screen.
We get a lot of this - a LOT here on fb, especially on the local sales page from time to time.  People go there to vent, or ask for help finding housing, or to offer up housing for rent.

The rental vacancy here is less than 1%.
The rents have gone through the roof in the last couple of years.
There are a few landlords who own many properties - they are known for not keeping them maintained and screwing their renters.

But that's not always what people are complaining about.
They complain about the 2BR house renting for $3250, when 5 minutes with google will tell you when it sold, and what for - so then you know that the landlord is breaking even.
They complain about landlords "gouging", but never calculate the cost of maintenance, and cleaning, and work when the renter destroys the house.
They complain about how they cannot find a place that will rent to dog owners, but let their dogs either bark all day or wreck the house.

You could totally be talking about my city, though the prices for rent you mention are even worse than they are here.  We have 2 rental properties and a similar rental market atmosphere: Less than 1% vacancy, large % increases in rent prices in the past couple of years, etc.  Any time the local news runs a story on the rental shortage it's just FILLED with hate towards "greedy" landlords.  The latest call to action is for rent control... 

When I posted one of our houses for rent on Craigslist a few months ago for an amount that actually only barely breaks even (we bought the property for the ability to add a second rental unit to it, at which point it will be quite profitable) I got about 10 emails within a day.  8 of the emails were people interested in renting the house and the other two were people telling me I should be ashamed of myself for being so greedy to try and charge so much for such a small house.  Apparently, the local disgruntled renters decided among them that no place should be able to ask for more than $1/sqft for rent and spend lots of time trolling Craigslist for people to shame.  (For the record, it was $1700/mo for 1300 sqft in the most desirable area of the city).  I just delete the negative ones and set up 3-4 showings with the best sounding candidates.  It's tempting to want to respond with some facts and logic though.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #3603 on: December 17, 2015, 11:12:52 AM »

I asked for socks, medicated lip balm, and hand cream as stocking stuffers (aka: give me the present of not having to go shop for boring shit!). My husband is recieving the present of getting his piano fixed and tuned (because he actively plays it a lot but a pedal is broken and needs to be soldered back on, and also it needs tuning). Also some stocking stuffers, just because.

When my mother asked what I wanted/needed (and wouldn't accept $ as an answer), I listed: warm winter coat for playing in the snow with our kid, warm winter boots, warm robe, flannel nightgown, books from my Amazon wishlist (carefully edited to be ONLY the books I couldn't get from the library/interlibrary loan system).

Seriously, though: all things on my list are things that I would value, that would make my life better, that I would be grateful to recieve, and that I would use until they wore out (hopefully years from now). Isn't that the hallmark of an excellent gift?

OT: Afaik, medicated lip balms are a scam. Most of them contain menthol, camphor and phenol which give momentary relief but actually irritate the lips. Since I stop buying lip balm which contain them (including the Blistex mecial stuff) my lips are doing much better. I had much better results with pure shea butter, and the absolute best results with pure lanoline (which unfortunately makes you unkissable).
Unless of course if you have a brand that suits you already.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3604 on: December 17, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »
I just delete the negative ones and set up 3-4 showings with the best sounding candidates.  It's tempting to want to respond with some facts and logic though.
I'd be tempted to do that too. But I imagine it would get exhausting, with such an unending supply of ignorant haters.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3605 on: December 17, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
I just delete the negative ones and set up 3-4 showings with the best sounding candidates.  It's tempting to want to respond with some facts and logic though.
I'd be tempted to do that too. But I imagine it would get exhausting, with such an unending supply of ignorant haters.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
-Mark Twain (I have seen this attributed to George Carlin)

argonaut_astronaut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3606 on: December 17, 2015, 11:48:30 AM »

OT: Afaik, medicated lip balms are a scam. Most of them contain menthol, camphor and phenol which give momentary relief but actually irritate the lips. Since I stop buying lip balm which contain them (including the Blistex mecial stuff) my lips are doing much better. I had much better results with pure shea butter, and the absolute best results with pure lanoline (which unfortunately makes you unkissable).

Agreed on the lib balm scam. Try petroleum jelly (Vaseline) instead of lanolin. Cheapest option and works so take the risky investment of $5 for 13oz and maybe you hate it or maybe you have a 50 year supply. Marketing geniuses somewhere convinced the developed world that you need special crap to put on your lips, but I call BS.

YMMV, maybe I have genetically inherited the correct genes that make my skin maintenance free, but I don't do a lot of skin care even though I live in the drier west (avg humidity is 25-35%). I use petroleum jelly on my lips (usually after prolonged wind/sun exposure) and occasionally a dry spot here and there on the hands if I have been doing some concrete or drywall mudding without gloves. No lotion, no soap on the face, and pure castile soap on the rest.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3607 on: December 17, 2015, 12:13:51 PM »

Agreed on the lib balm scam. Try petroleum jelly (Vaseline) instead of lanolin. Cheapest option and works so take the risky investment of $5 for 13oz and maybe you hate it or maybe you have a 50 year supply. Marketing geniuses somewhere convinced the developed world that you need special crap to put on your lips, but I call BS.

YMMV, maybe I have genetically inherited the correct genes that make my skin maintenance free, but I don't do a lot of skin care even though I live in the drier west (avg humidity is 25-35%). I use petroleum jelly on my lips (usually after prolonged wind/sun exposure) and occasionally a dry spot here and there on the hands if I have been doing some concrete or drywall mudding without gloves. No lotion, no soap on the face, and pure castile soap on the rest.
I have found that, with the exception of extreme exposure to wind/sun, generally if my lips are to the point where I feel I "need" balm, it's because I am actually severely dehydrated. Drinking water won't solve the problem immediately, but using balm doesn't really solve it at all.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3608 on: December 17, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »

As we age...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3609 on: December 17, 2015, 12:44:22 PM »
"Landlords are scum"
which really gets on my nerves because my tenant is making my life miserable since months.
I politely disagreed, and the reply was #notalllandlords and now I want to punch the screen.
We get a lot of this - a LOT here on fb, especially on the local sales page from time to time.  People go there to vent, or ask for help finding housing, or to offer up housing for rent.

The rental vacancy here is less than 1%.
The rents have gone through the roof in the last couple of years.
There are a few landlords who own many properties - they are known for not keeping them maintained and screwing their renters.

But that's not always what people are complaining about.
They complain about the 2BR house renting for $3250, when 5 minutes with google will tell you when it sold, and what for - so then you know that the landlord is breaking even.
They complain about landlords "gouging", but never calculate the cost of maintenance, and cleaning, and work when the renter destroys the house.
They complain about how they cannot find a place that will rent to dog owners, but let their dogs either bark all day or wreck the house.

You could totally be talking about my city, though the prices for rent you mention are even worse than they are here.  We have 2 rental properties and a similar rental market atmosphere: Less than 1% vacancy, large % increases in rent prices in the past couple of years, etc.  Any time the local news runs a story on the rental shortage it's just FILLED with hate towards "greedy" landlords.  The latest call to action is for rent control... 

When I posted one of our houses for rent on Craigslist a few months ago for an amount that actually only barely breaks even (we bought the property for the ability to add a second rental unit to it, at which point it will be quite profitable) I got about 10 emails within a day.  8 of the emails were people interested in renting the house and the other two were people telling me I should be ashamed of myself for being so greedy to try and charge so much for such a small house.  Apparently, the local disgruntled renters decided among them that no place should be able to ask for more than $1/sqft for rent and spend lots of time trolling Craigslist for people to shame.  (For the record, it was $1700/mo for 1300 sqft in the most desirable area of the city).  I just delete the negative ones and set up 3-4 showings with the best sounding candidates.  It's tempting to want to respond with some facts and logic though.
Yes.  Whenever one of these pops up (coastal So Cal), and people talk about the gouging landlords, I often post.  For the $3250 house, I posted that "you can look up the house price, they are breaking even" (and the initial poster, who was renting it out for her friends the owners who left town because they got laid off, agreed with me).

Often times I'll just point out that "if you were to buy that 2BR house at the current average sales price of $730,000, your mortgage payment + prop taxes would be about $3500, and that is assuming that you have the 20% to put down".  Renting is still cheaper!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3610 on: December 17, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »

I've tried other lip balms, and htey mostly just dry out my lips as soon as they wear off (counterproductive). I'll try the petroleum jelly, because as it stands, the Blistex medicated lip balm is actually the only one that stops my lips from cracking and bleeding, and it's expensive and smells crappy.

When they say 'dry skin' is a side effect of Acutane, they,re not joking, and it lasts. (When I was actually taking the drug, I could grab a bit of dry skin at the edge of my lip, peel off the whole skin of my lip, and do blood-lip-prints. Great for a 17-year-old goth, not so great when you're 31 and would really like to smile without the corners of your mouth cracking). Don't get me wrong: that drug was the only thing that helped and I have zero regrets. But there are some skin-management issues I now have to deal with.

Crystal1588

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3611 on: December 17, 2015, 01:34:32 PM »
"Christmas is for maxing out credit cards for people you love, and panicking in January, right? 🎄🎁"

What's amazing is how many replies agreeing with her there are.
Yikes.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3612 on: December 17, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »
I was always in co-ed dorms. That tends to balance things out. Co-ed dorms means co-ed bathrooms, and co-ed bathrooms means there's no such thing as guys not showering.
These actually exist? I've heard of them, but never actually encountered them. Even the co-ed dorm I was in had segregated bathrooms.
My co-ed dorm had separate bathrooms for men and women, but my friend who lived in another building on campus had truly co-ed bathrooms. It wasn't that big a deal.

Same here - 23 years ago. Agreed that it didn't turn out to be a big deal, but it was definitely much remarked-upon, so it couldn't have been a very common thing, at least at the time.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3613 on: December 17, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »

I got a jar of vaseline (it's baby powder scented which I haven't seen in recent decades, but I like better) when I was 7 as a stocking stuff.  Twenty-six years later, I have about half of it left; so the 50 year supply sounds right.

It is the only thing that helps my lips. It's also really nice on cracked elbows.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3614 on: December 17, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »

I got a jar of vaseline (it's baby powder scented which I haven't seen in recent decades, but I like better) when I was 7 as a stocking stuff.  Twenty-six years later, I have about half of it left; so the 50 year supply sounds right.

It is the only thing that helps my lips. It's also really nice on cracked elbows.

6 or 7 years ago when I was almost done with reassembling the engine I'd taken apart and rebuilt some Googling yielded that the best thing to use to hold parts in place while reassembling to keep them from falling out was petroleum jelly- so on the next trip to the store (I believe it was a Big Lots...), I picked up 2 large jars of the stuff to make sure I didn't have to make a run back out for more when covered in oil and in my shop clothes. I got QUITE a concerned look from the checkout lady... :P

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3615 on: December 17, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »

6 or 7 years ago when I was almost done with reassembling the engine I'd taken apart and rebuilt some Googling yielded that the best thing to use to hold parts in place while reassembling to keep them from falling out was petroleum jelly- so on the next trip to the store (I believe it was a Big Lots...), I picked up 2 large jars of the stuff to make sure I didn't have to make a run back out for more when covered in oil and in my shop clothes. I got QUITE a concerned look from the checkout lady... :P

There's something to be said for lip balm with sunscreen.  I suppose you could just put sunscreen directly on your lips or mix with vasoline, but I expect that would end up like this:

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3616 on: December 17, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »
I was always in co-ed dorms. That tends to balance things out. Co-ed dorms means co-ed bathrooms, and co-ed bathrooms means there's no such thing as guys not showering.
These actually exist? I've heard of them, but never actually encountered them. Even the co-ed dorm I was in had segregated bathrooms.
My co-ed dorm had separate bathrooms for men and women, but my friend who lived in another building on campus had truly co-ed bathrooms. It wasn't that big a deal.

Same here - 23 years ago. Agreed that it didn't turn out to be a big deal, but it was definitely much remarked-upon, so it couldn't have been a very common thing, at least at the time.
Huh wow. I graduated 23 years ago, and I cannot imagine co-ed bathrooms at all.

Not that it would bother me terribly.  I was in the Navy and spent bits of time on ships here and there that were all male (before women were allowed on combat ships).

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #3617 on: December 17, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »

I second the lanolin. Petroleum jelly does nothing for my lips. The lanolin is amazing but tastes vile, I use it on my nose and lips when they're raw after a cold, slather it on before bed and it helps heal everything. It's not cheap but I think my mum's had her tube at least a decade.
(And I just nicked a small blob off her a couple years ago and put it in a Vaseline tin that I washed out)

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #3618 on: December 17, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »
YMMV, maybe I have genetically inherited the correct genes that make my skin maintenance free...

Lucky you... I have extremely oily skin, am in my 30s and have to blot the oil off my face with oil-absorbing sheets at least a couple of times a day. The corners of my lips will occasionally split and I have to put Neosporin on them to get them to heal. Also have to moisturize my hands, especially in the winter.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3619 on: December 17, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
Huh wow. I graduated 23 years ago, and I cannot imagine co-ed bathrooms at all.

Not that it would bother me terribly.  I was in the Navy and spent bits of time on ships here and there that were all male (before women were allowed on combat ships).

It was a pretty hippie college. :) And to be honest, I was glad at the time that my dorm was one of the ones that went for single-sex bathrooms.

Later I moved off campus, but was back in a dorm my senior year and there the bathrooms really were coed. By then I didn't care much.

This was a pretty rarefied environment, though (private liberal arts school). I would not support coed bathrooms in most public spaces.

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3620 on: December 17, 2015, 10:49:24 PM »

I agree as well! I used to apply lip balm constantly and couldn't leave the house without it, but since I switched to Vaseline I only apply a few times a day. I use these tubes of it in lip balm packaging. Of course you pay way more per ounce compared to a tub of Vaseline but to me it's worth it for the convenience.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3621 on: December 18, 2015, 06:30:40 AM »
I lived in a triangular dorm freshman year of college. One corner had a men's bathroom, one had a women's bathroom, and mine had a coed bathroom. After two hours it was "whatever."

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3622 on: December 18, 2015, 07:37:03 AM »

I agree as well! I used to apply lip balm constantly and couldn't leave the house without it, but since I switched to Vaseline I only apply a few times a day. I use these tubes of it in lip balm packaging. Of course you pay way more per ounce compared to a tub of Vaseline but to me it's worth it for the convenience.
Vaseline in the tube melts down here and makes a mess of your clothing (or purse if you carry one).  We have the jar in the house so it doesn't melt.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3623 on: December 18, 2015, 09:33:53 AM »

My grandmother used to smear her face in Vaseline every night before bed.  When she was in her 80's she could have passed for 50. No wrinkles despite having 8 children.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3624 on: December 18, 2015, 09:47:02 AM »
My grandmother used to smear her face in Vaseline every night before bed.  When she was in her 80's she could have passed for 50. No wrinkles despite having 8 children.
How did she look under the 80year accumulation of vaseline ?

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3625 on: December 18, 2015, 10:52:34 AM »
How did she look under the 80year accumulation of vaseline ?

LOL!  Shiney of course.

intirb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3626 on: December 18, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »
I would not support coed bathrooms in most public spaces.

I'm curious why not?  In my town, most single-toilet restrooms are gender neutral.  There are some multi-stalled gender-neutral bathrooms too.  I mean, if no one can see you, what does it matter?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3627 on: December 18, 2015, 11:25:58 AM »

I'm curious why not?  In my town, most single-toilet restrooms are gender neutral.  There are some multi-stalled gender-neutral bathrooms too.  I mean, if no one can see you, what does it matter?

Either you're a man or you've never shared a bathroom with a man before.

intirb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3628 on: December 18, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »

Neither of those assumptions are true, actually.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3629 on: December 18, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
We had coed washrooms in my dorm at university.  It wasn't really a big deal. 

What was a big deal is that everyone would leave his/her toiletries in the washroom and someone kept taking my damned mouthwash . . . until I peed in the bottle.  Well, actually, that's not true.  They kept drinking it until I put a note on the bottle saying that I had peed in it.  :P

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3630 on: December 18, 2015, 01:13:42 PM »

I will amend: I would not be in favor of multi-stalled coed bathrooms.

In answer to your question, I don't feel as strongly about this as I do about some other gender-related issues. But briefly, I don't feel completely safe from men in public. Some of them are violent, and you can't necessarily tell which. In a bathroom, you're even more vulnerable than you are in general public space, and I would prefer not to feel unsafe there. That's all.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3631 on: December 18, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »

Neither of those assumptions are true, actually.

Sorry, I meant it kind of jokingly.  In general, it seems that guys aren't as careful to keep the facilities as clean as women are.  Not all guys and not all women, just a general observation.  I could be wrong.  But that's why I prefer that public bathrooms not be co-ed.  Plus the (probably unsubstantiated) creep factor.

Oh, yeah, Cressida just hit the nail on the head:

I will amend: I would not be in favor of multi-stalled coed bathrooms.

In answer to your question, I don't feel as strongly about this as I do about some other gender-related issues. But briefly, I don't feel completely safe from men in public. Some of them are violent, and you can't necessarily tell which. In a bathroom, you're even more vulnerable than you are in general public space, and I would prefer not to feel unsafe there. That's all.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:29:39 PM by LeRainDrop »

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #3632 on: December 18, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »
I second radicaledward's observation.  This was nearly always the case in my undergraduate academic building bathroom cleaning days.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3633 on: December 18, 2015, 05:23:25 PM »
Sorry, I meant it kind of jokingly.  In general, it seems that guys aren't as careful to keep the facilities as clean as women are.  Not all guys and not all women, just a general observation.  I could be wrong.  But that's why I prefer that public bathrooms not be co-ed.  Plus the (probably unsubstantiated) creep factor.
I'm not sure I would agree. One of my jobs as a teenager required us to clean the bathrooms after the store closed for the day and generally the women's bathroom was dirtier than then men's. Of course the men's room tended to have larger messes when they occurred, but the women's tended to be require more work to clean on average.

I've noticed the same. Women do that %$@# hover thing and piss everywhere. Toilet paper thrown everywhere seems pretty common as well.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3634 on: December 19, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »
I'll cast my vote, too. Women's rooms are definitely dirtier than men's rooms.

I agree it's counter-intuitive.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3635 on: December 21, 2015, 05:48:23 AM »
I'm not sure I would agree. One of my jobs as a teenager required us to clean the bathrooms after the store closed for the day and generally the women's bathroom was dirtier than then men's. Of course the men's room tended to have larger messes when they occurred, but the women's tended to be require more work to clean on average.
You need to take into account the type of store. I mean, if it sold mainly ladieswear, of course those bathrooms will be dirtier just because they get used more.

That said, I have no idea which get dirtier, and would suppose that there are messy people of both genders.

Re: safety, I personally feel that the kind of people who are going to do nasty things to people in public bathrooms aren't the kind of people who obey the sign on the door, but I understand being afraid of creeps too.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3636 on: December 21, 2015, 06:04:13 AM »
You need to take into account the type of store. I mean, if it sold mainly ladieswear, of course those bathrooms will be dirtier just because they get used more.

That said, I have no idea which get dirtier, and would suppose that there are messy people of both genders.

Re: safety, I personally feel that the kind of people who are going to do nasty things to people in public bathrooms aren't the kind of people who obey the sign on the door, but I understand being afraid of creeps too.
Worked at a gas station and a best buy in college and can confirm that in gender neutral stores (as opposed to places like field and stream or Victoria's secret with an obvious customer gender bias) with roughly equal usage of lavatory facilities, women's restrooms are almost always 5x more effort to clean.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3637 on: December 21, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »
My experience is that public restrooms the women's tend to be dirtier; but private restrooms, I'd much rather go into a women's (though of course some men are very clean, and some women are gross).

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3638 on: December 22, 2015, 11:39:47 AM »
Why does every urinal have a puddle on the floor in front of it? Do they all leak?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3639 on: December 22, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »
Can we change the subject?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3640 on: December 22, 2015, 12:27:15 PM »
Can we change the subject?

I second the motion.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3641 on: December 22, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
I've got a mustachian overheard on facebook:

A friend was asking around for extra plastic jugs and containers. The reason? She makes her own shampoo and household cleaning products and intends to distribute some as Christmas gifts this year, but doesn't have enough containers to mix everything in.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3642 on: December 22, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »

A friend was asking around for extra plastic jugs and containers. The reason? She makes her own shampoo and household cleaning products and intends to distribute some as Christmas gifts this year, but doesn't have enough containers to mix everything in.

That's awesome! I should look into doing this for myself. Anyone have any good male shampoo recipes that are easy? Or for body soap?

Perhaps we should have an Ant-Antimustachian Overheard on Facebook thread?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3643 on: December 22, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »

That's awesome! I should look into doing this for myself. Anyone have any good male shampoo recipes that are easy? Or for body soap?

There's a book called The Hands-On Home (by Erica Strauss, and I think she's a member of this forum) that has recipes for shampoo and soap and cleaning products and it's really a fantastic book that I'd recommend getting from your library ASAP if you're interested.

I'd mostly stopped buying any house-maintanance books because I tend to know more than the writers include in the books (sad but true), but this one I got via the library and am intending to buy as a reference. It's fantastic.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3644 on: December 22, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »

There's a book called The Hands-On Home (by Erica Strauss, and I think she's a member of this forum) that has recipes for shampoo and soap and cleaning products and it's really a fantastic book that I'd recommend getting from your library ASAP if you're interested.

I'd mostly stopped buying any house-maintanance books because I tend to know more than the writers include in the books (sad but true), but this one I got via the library and am intending to buy as a reference. It's fantastic.

Unfortunately my library doesn't carry it. Any other suggested books? I'm on the insane wait list for "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up." I suspect my name will come up in about 18 months, lol.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3645 on: December 22, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »

Unfortunately my library doesn't carry it. Any other suggested books? I'm on the insane wait list for "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up." I suspect my name will come up in about 18 months, lol.

Inter-library loan? My library didn't have it either; they got it from some other small-town library in rural vermont, and it took about 3 weeks.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3646 on: December 22, 2015, 01:18:34 PM »

I keep my hair really short, so a 22-oz bottle of Suave for $0.88 lasts me a year...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3647 on: December 22, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »

Inter-library loan? My library didn't have it either; they got it from some other small-town library in rural vermont, and it took about 3 weeks.

I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, do you have any additional recommendations for any like-minded books?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3648 on: December 22, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »

I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, do you have any additional recommendations for any like-minded books?

Brooks Palmer is excellent IMO. I read all of his blog a few years ago and bought both his books. Life changing for me. I got rid of most of my stuff and nearly all of my sentimental items (huge for me). He has a similar concept of only keeping things you love.

http://clutterbusting.com/the-books/

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3649 on: December 23, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »

One thing I've noticed on my feed is 3 families who complain about having no money (one I know has $40k+debt) go out to dinner once or twice a week.  They post these dinners on FB, an appetizer, each with a full entree, & dessert.  Sometimes even a couple glasses of wine/beer.  Then they talk about how it was so much food they couldn't eat everything and wished they liked leftovers because there was enough for another meal.  It boggles my mind that they are paying $60-70/week on one meal and throwing half of it in the trash.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!