Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082416 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6350 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »

Tested and approved by construction crews, Extreme athletes and soccer moms

Never thought I would see extreme athletes and soccer moms lumped together into the same category.

I can see the high price point if it is incredibly sturdy, though I'm sure there are inexpensive items out there that could survive a lot of abuse and keep ice cold for many hours.

This reminds me of a collaboration between a head shop and an architecture firm, they created a $12,000 bong! Part of their explanation was that it was created using a 3d printer that's designed to make items destined to survive space travel. WTF would you need such an item? The bong has been ridiculed by most blowers, store owners, and users that I've spoken to.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6351 on: May 18, 2017, 08:27:03 PM »
Friend on FB starts a gofundme to raise money for her kid's medical treatment. They need to fly to the opposite coast to see a particular doctor who specializes in this one medical area. They already have insurance but say they need to raise $50k because the doctor is out of network and cover time off work, travel, etc. a large sum of money (considering the out of pocket max covers out of network providers and is usually under $10k). But they are successful in raising close to their goal and keep posting updates to keep donating. It was actually touching to see people I personally know who are not particularly well-off be so generous with donating to this person.

A few months later she posts pictures of her kid on fb, and I can't help but notice the all decked out matching pottery barn furniture, bedding, and wall decor in the background of the kid's room! And then she posts photos of her family, including the kid, on vacation out of their area...for 2 weeks! She says this is the nicest vacation they have had since their honeymoon!

I'm all about travel and all...but don't you think if you are public begging for money and relying on others to give their hard earned money to cover your family's medical expenses, maybe now isn't the time to start upping your lifestyle? Just a thought...

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #6352 on: May 19, 2017, 05:55:38 AM »
Friend on FB starts a gofundme to raise money for her kid's medical treatment. They need to fly to the opposite coast to see a particular doctor who specializes in this one medical area. They already have insurance but say they need to raise $50k because the doctor is out of network and cover time off work, travel, etc. a large sum of money (considering the out of pocket max covers out of network providers and is usually under $10k). But they are successful in raising close to their goal and keep posting updates to keep donating. It was actually touching to see people I personally know who are not particularly well-off be so generous with donating to this person.

A few months later she posts pictures of her kid on fb, and I can't help but notice the all decked out matching pottery barn furniture, bedding, and wall decor in the background of the kid's room! And then she posts photos of her family, including the kid, on vacation out of their area...for 2 weeks! She says this is the nicest vacation they have had since their honeymoon!

I'm all about travel and all...but don't you think if you are public begging for money and relying on others to give their hard earned money to cover your family's medical expenses, maybe now isn't the time to start upping your lifestyle? Just a thought...

Also, there are charities that pay for this type of thing.  American Airlines will fly kids and their families for free for medical care, Ronald McDonald House puts up families and their kids for treatment.  Make a Wish will give critically ill kids a vacation.

I have a critically ill child myself so I am familiar with this world.  We had a very long consult with social workers and ideally everyone with a really sick kid should.  S/he should hook someone up with these programs, but even if not, a simple internet search will find them.

We also have a neighbor with a sick kid who totally exploits Go Fund Me to raise money for things like fixing the grade in her yard so "he has a safe place to stay". 

I don't have a Go Fund Me, and we afford it because we have always lived below our means.  Even though I had to stop working, we still can afford everything we need (not upgrades).  Basically our saving for FIRE has gone way down.  I do occasionally sign up for freebies from charities (like a hat), and we do ask friends for meals and occasional babysitting after they have offered.  I graciously accept any gift cards given to us from friends (not requested), but have never asked for money ever. 

There are people who truly have nothing and a sick kid.  But for most people I bet it is a matter refusing to lower their standard of living at all.   Drives me crazy to see people capitalize on their cute, sick kids. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6353 on: May 19, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »
I worry the money grabbers will wear out the generosity of others so when there is a real need - it won't be there.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6354 on: May 19, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
I worry the money grabbers will wear out the generosity of others so when there is a real need - it won't be there.

It's happening already in my city. There are so many police officers shot in the line of duty, kids shot accidentally, people shot in arguments over something as basic as taking too long at a car wash, and victims of random drive-by shootings, drunk drivers, or carjackers that people are pretty much used to constant public appeals for funeral money. You can't drive from one end of town to the other without seeing a memorial or an "in memory of" car wash. Add to that the constant solicitation from charities you ask to take you off their mailing lists, and the fact you can't do something as simple as buy groceries without being asked to donate to this or that, and the drumbeat of Give-give-give-give is pretty much never-ending. People tune it out.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6355 on: May 19, 2017, 05:04:12 PM »

Also, there are charities that pay for this type of thing.  American Airlines will fly kids and their families for free for medical care, Ronald McDonald House puts up families and their kids for treatment.  Make a Wish will give critically ill kids a vacation.

I have a critically ill child myself so I am familiar with this world.  We had a very long consult with social workers and ideally everyone with a really sick kid should.  S/he should hook someone up with these programs, but even if not, a simple internet search will find them.

We also have a neighbor with a sick kid who totally exploits Go Fund Me to raise money for things like fixing the grade in her yard so "he has a safe place to stay". 

I don't have a Go Fund Me, and we afford it because we have always lived below our means.  Even though I had to stop working, we still can afford everything we need (not upgrades).  Basically our saving for FIRE has gone way down.  I do occasionally sign up for freebies from charities (like a hat), and we do ask friends for meals and occasional babysitting after they have offered.  I graciously accept any gift cards given to us from friends (not requested), but have never asked for money ever. 

There are people who truly have nothing and a sick kid.  But for most people I bet it is a matter refusing to lower their standard of living at all.   Drives me crazy to see people capitalize on their cute, sick kids.

In this particular case the child's condition is chronic and inconvenient, but in no way life threatening so will not qualify for make a wish. They will also not qualify for Ronald McDonald because the husband has a very good paying, highly respected professional job so they don't qualify for financial need. They pointed out on the gofundme how the wife can't work because she has to take the kid to appointments, but even before the baby was born she didn't work (never had to, and never had plans to start working).

I am pretty sure they could cover any out of pocket medical expenses by doing what everyone else does: downsizing your life to save up and working out a payment plan with the hospital if you still can't cover it. While I'm sure it is a big financial burden having a kid with chronic medical issues, it just makes me upset to see them taking money from other people I personally know who make far less than they do and go spend it on high end "stuff".

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6356 on: May 19, 2017, 06:20:06 PM »

In this particular case the child's condition is chronic and inconvenient, but in no way life threatening so will not qualify for make a wish. They will also not qualify for Ronald McDonald because the husband has a very good paying, highly respected professional job so they don't qualify for financial need. They pointed out on the gofundme how the wife can't work because she has to take the kid to appointments, but even before the baby was born she didn't work (never had to, and never had plans to start working).

I am pretty sure they could cover any out of pocket medical expenses by doing what everyone else does: downsizing your life to save up and working out a payment plan with the hospital if you still can't cover it. While I'm sure it is a big financial burden having a kid with chronic medical issues, it just makes me upset to see them taking money from other people I personally know who make far less than they do and go spend it on high end "stuff".
If the other people who make less than them are fine with giving to them despite knowing that the husband has a well paying job and that the wife never planned to work, then it's on  the donators. If someone got too much money just because they asked, then it's a very tiny step towards upgrading their lifestyle. Once they have the money, (in their mind) it becomes theirs and they can do whatever with it (even upgrade lifestyle), there is no one to oversee that they actually used it for the intended purpose.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #6357 on: May 19, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »
Fwiw, the Ronald McDonald house we stayed at when my son was born didn't ask about income, just asked families to pay a small amount ($5?  Can't remember), which could be waved if financial need existed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6358 on: May 20, 2017, 07:11:55 AM »
Hopefully the folks who donate despite making less money have thought it through as completely as you have. No shooting arrows at you, just pointing out that for some people the thought process begins and ends with "ah, that's too bad". They might not realize that they are funding a shopping blitz until (if?) they see the pictures.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #6359 on: May 20, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
An old friend had to go to another city for a lengthy leukemia treatment.  He asked all of his old friends for our financial help.  (This was long before gofundme was thought of.)  He used our donations to import his wife, rent a special place, etc, etc.  Now it is decades later and something has degraded permanently in the friendship.  Not sure how to put it - like he moved from the first tier to second or third?  Somebody you'd see impulsively, frequently, happily is now someone you see once a year at a birthday party.  No overt blowup, no recriminations, nothing dramatic - just an irretrievable, slight shift.  No confidences now, just ritual enquiries after one another's kids.  He's never been back to it, which is wise: the well is dry. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6360 on: May 20, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »
An old friend had to go to another city for a lengthy leukemia treatment.  He asked all of his old friends for our financial help.  (This was long before gofundme was thought of.)  He used our donations to import his wife, rent a special place, etc, etc.  Now it is decades later and something has degraded permanently in the friendship.  Not sure how to put it - like he moved from the first tier to second or third?  Somebody you'd see impulsively, frequently, happily is now someone you see once a year at a birthday party.  No overt blowup, no recriminations, nothing dramatic - just an irretrievable, slight shift.  No confidences now, just ritual enquiries after one another's kids.  He's never been back to it, which is wise: the well is dry.

This is the natural course of human behavior.

Now, if for some reason you were trying to maintain a closer relationship or if you were forced into it due to family or similar dynamics, you'd be feeling all kinds of resentment. As matters stand, you get to keep your blood pressure low.

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #6361 on: May 21, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »
This is my friend who complains about how hard she has it all the time and how she doesn't deserve to be in so much student debt.

A few days ago:
Uh oh. I just spent a ton of money on my 4th of july ticket. [OTHER FRIEND], let the booze stock piling begin! I got it for june 30th-july 9th. I like how i made the purchase without asking the boss first.....
We all know that booking non-refundable travel without getting time off, in advance, is a wise thing to do when struggling with money and worried about your job being unstable.

Yesterday:
Sometimes you need to go out and spend a thousand bucks on new clothes.....in one day. So I just successfully did that! The worst part is that i wear the same 5 things to work every week cause I have no clothes. So my mission was to get work stuff. Well, a grand later and none of it is work appropriate, so I did fail at that.

That also means i will not be paying extra money to federal loans any time soon. I should let myself get terrible credit and go spend another grand on stuff for me. I never buy myself new things on account of student freakin loans. Perhaps it's high time I stop trying and start buying myself new items all the time. It is time for me to be irresponsible like everyone else and blow through money until i'm bankrupt. Yeaaa, vacations, rich peoples amount of clothes and shoes, concerts every weekend, sushi for dinner every night, new car, new everything!

Almost exactly one day later.
Just washed all the new clothes....and I know how to wash clothes....and they all said machine wash cold....sooooo, yeaaaa all of the clothes ended up reshaping themselves to look twisted and asymmetrical, along with shrinking. Every single shirt is now crooked with half of the side shrunk up. So I get to put 700 bucks worth of clothes in the garbage.

I have started checking her wall, daily, to see what new rant she has posted.

Edit:  Most of my friends are secretly mustachian.  Most of our mutual friends are also mustachian.  A few weeks ago, she posted about being stuck in traffic on the way home, for hours, due to the road being shut down and her being in an area that could not be removed.  One of our friends replied as only a wise man would, " You and your car seem to have the worst luck together. I ride my bicycle 2 miles to work. lol"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:33:50 PM by FIT_Goat »

letthelightin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6362 on: May 22, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Saw this on FB today, and it made me laugh. I want to high five the OP.

OP: I've dreaded this moment for months. Once you start you can't stop. Week after week it seems like it will never end. So it's time to make the big decision...should I mow my lawn for the first time this season, or wait another week?

OP's Friend: Put the neighbor kid on a $100 retainer and tell him once a week for the ten weeks.

OP: That would deprive me of exercise and money.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6363 on: May 22, 2017, 08:00:06 AM »
This is my friend who complains about how hard she has it all the time and how she doesn't deserve to be in so much student debt.

A few days ago:
Uh oh. I just spent a ton of money on my 4th of july ticket. [OTHER FRIEND], let the booze stock piling begin! I got it for june 30th-july 9th. I like how i made the purchase without asking the boss first.....
We all know that booking non-refundable travel without getting time off, in advance, is a wise thing to do when struggling with money and worried about your job being unstable.

Yesterday:
Sometimes you need to go out and spend a thousand bucks on new clothes.....in one day. So I just successfully did that! The worst part is that i wear the same 5 things to work every week cause I have no clothes. So my mission was to get work stuff. Well, a grand later and none of it is work appropriate, so I did fail at that.

That also means i will not be paying extra money to federal loans any time soon. I should let myself get terrible credit and go spend another grand on stuff for me. I never buy myself new things on account of student freakin loans. Perhaps it's high time I stop trying and start buying myself new items all the time. It is time for me to be irresponsible like everyone else and blow through money until i'm bankrupt. Yeaaa, vacations, rich peoples amount of clothes and shoes, concerts every weekend, sushi for dinner every night, new car, new everything!

Just washed all the new clothes....and I know how to wash clothes....and they all said machine wash cold....sooooo, yeaaaa all of the clothes ended up reshaping themselves to look twisted and asymmetrical, along with shrinking. Every single shirt is now crooked with half of the side shrunk up. So I get to put 700 bucks worth of clothes in the garbage.

Edit:  Most of my friends are secretly mustachian.  Most of our mutual friends are also mustachian.  A few weeks ago, she posted about being stuck in traffic on the way home, for hours, due to the road being shut down and her being in an area that could not be removed.  One of our friends replied as only a wise man would, " You and your car seem to have the worst luck together. I ride my bicycle 2 miles to work. lol"

So is this like a person silently asking for help? Seeking a buddy who will enable them further? Seeking a pal to commiserate with?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6364 on: May 22, 2017, 10:07:15 AM »
@ FIT_Goat: No need to bold that text - it shines like neon here :-)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6365 on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »

A few days ago:

Yesterday:

So is this like a person silently asking for help? Seeking a buddy who will enable them further? Seeking a pal to commiserate with?

No, yes, and yes. Respectively. They're not asking for help in the context of changing their ways, and they're most assuredly not being silent about it. They want affirmation from people who would normalize this somewhat self-destructive behavior. It's kind of like a person in the earliest stages of anorexia seeking out pro-ana Web sites, or a person with a minor drinking problem finding a committed alkie to hang out with.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6366 on: May 22, 2017, 01:31:53 PM »
No, yes, and yes. Respectively. They're not asking for help in the context of changing their ways, and they're most assuredly not being silent about it. They want affirmation from people who would normalize this somewhat self-destructive behavior. It's kind of like a person in the earliest stages of anorexia seeking out pro-ana Web sites, or a person with a minor drinking problem finding a committed alkie to hang out with.

I really don't understand this behavior, because I personally would be incredibly embarrassed to post anything like this. I guess I wouldn't be broke and unable to pay student loans if I spent $1000 on clothes though. It's strange how posting about how broke you are is okay, but it's socially unacceptable to brag about buying $1000 worth of clothes when you're doing well. Similarly, if I posted that I just made a $1000 student loan payment people either wouldn't care or be disgusted. I guess because it's okay to make fun of yourself but not show off.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6367 on: May 22, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
In the social media world, the primary currency is attention as expressed by "likes", shares, reactions, followers, clicks, and other things that measure attention.

Bragging about our financial independence or net worth in the same medium is considered gauche because it reflects our adherence to an unfashionable and outdated value system in which the primary currency is... currency.

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #6368 on: May 22, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
She just wanted attention and sympathy.  Wants everyone to see how hard she has it.  I cut out most of the "woe is me" and "my new coworker says he is glad his life isn't like mine" crap.  As if the second one even happened!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6369 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »
In the social media world, the primary currency is attention as expressed by "likes", shares, reactions, followers, clicks, and other things that measure attention.

Bragging about our financial independence or net worth in the same medium is considered gauche because it reflects our adherence to an unfashionable and outdated value system in which the primary currency is... currency.

It's so strange that every other conversation taboo has gone by the wayside -- people openly discuss politics, religion, sex, whatever -- but it's still considered out-of-bounds to discuss money.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6370 on: May 24, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »

It's so strange that every other conversation taboo has gone by the wayside -- people openly discuss politics, religion, sex, whatever -- but it's still considered out-of-bounds to discuss money.
And science. I work in IT/Engineering at a DoD site and the sheer ignorance/refusal of scientific facts is astounding.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #6371 on: May 25, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
For the last week or so, a family friend has been posting travel updates on FB - Apparently he's hitting 5 countries in 10 days, mostly SE Asia but with a quick stop in Europe to make it a globe-circling tour...

He's 31, still lives with his parents, unemployed, has a small mountain of credit card debt, and just had his car repossessed last month.

But no no no, according to FB, he's a world-traveling big shot. #HighLife #WhatILiveFor #Blessed

More like #Dumbass, ya manchild

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6372 on: May 25, 2017, 09:48:27 AM »
For the last week or so, a family friend has been posting travel updates on FB - Apparently he's hitting 5 countries in 10 days, mostly SE Asia but with a quick stop in Europe to make it a globe-circling tour...

He's 31, still lives with his parents, unemployed, has a small mountain of credit card debt, and just had his car repossessed last month.

But no no no, according to FB, he's a world-traveling big shot. #HighLife #WhatILiveFor #Blessed

I will contribute to a kickStarter/goFundMe for you if you get screen shots of all this!  :-)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6373 on: May 25, 2017, 10:53:56 AM »

He's #blessed, all right, by some grade-A enablers.

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #6374 on: May 31, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »
The wife of one of my closest friends recently posted on Facebook about buying a very expensive cup. These are folks that have lots of money struggles, some self-inflicted, some not. For instance, they couldn't afford $100 for an emergency vet visit. We recently visited them and spent a lot of money so they could do things with us they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. The wife started taking it for granted by the end of the week and didn't even bother to thank me. And she then she drops $40 on a cup. Like... you're throwing money away, but you couldn't be arsed to chip in for gas or parking or something? Or maybe save it so next time your dog (or God forbid your new grandchild) has an emergency you don't have to panic because you don't have cash on hand?
From the site:

THE IBEX TUMBLER SECRET

Tested and approved by construction crews, Extreme athletes and soccer moms, the IBEX Tumbler features 2 layers of extra thick kitchen grade 18/8 Stainless Steel, vacuum sealed to ensure maximum temperature retention.

Amazing ;)
Well, it does keep ice frozen for 72 hours!

Okay, I have to say, when I first saw this (catching up on some Overheard) I was thinking, $40s not bad, she'll recoup the cost in no time, because I thought it was a certain kind of cup for ladies... ;)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6375 on: May 31, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »
The wife of one of my closest friends recently posted on Facebook about buying a very expensive cup. These are folks that have lots of money struggles, some self-inflicted, some not. For instance, they couldn't afford $100 for an emergency vet visit. We recently visited them and spent a lot of money so they could do things with us they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. The wife started taking it for granted by the end of the week and didn't even bother to thank me. And she then she drops $40 on a cup. Like... you're throwing money away, but you couldn't be arsed to chip in for gas or parking or something? Or maybe save it so next time your dog (or God forbid your new grandchild) has an emergency you don't have to panic because you don't have cash on hand?
From the site:

THE IBEX TUMBLER SECRET

Tested and approved by construction crews, Extreme athletes and soccer moms, the IBEX Tumbler features 2 layers of extra thick kitchen grade 18/8 Stainless Steel, vacuum sealed to ensure maximum temperature retention.

Amazing ;)

Okay, I have to say, when I first saw this (catching up on some Overheard) I was thinking, $40s not bad, she'll recoup the cost in no time, because I thought it was a certain kind of cup for ladies... ;)

... the hell did you think the ice comment was referring to? ಠ_ಠ

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #6376 on: May 31, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »
I meant the first part, sorry I had kept reading/made the realization, then thought I'd backtracked to the original quote.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6377 on: May 31, 2017, 07:15:19 PM »
If I ever have periods again, I can't wait to try the 2 layers of extra thick kitchen grade 18/8 Stainless Steel. 

Oh, wait...never mind.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6378 on: May 31, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »
From the site:

THE IBEX TUMBLER SECRET

Amazing ;)

... the hell did you think the ice comment was referring to? ಠ_ಠ

Some of those frigid soccer moms?

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #6379 on: June 04, 2017, 09:07:09 PM »
A friend liked a post by a minor celebrity that was basically bragging about having 10 cushions on her bed. That is 10 cushions that are purely decorative and get moved to the floor for sleeping. I can't help myself. I just have to read the comments on posts like this. The comments were full of people bragging about how they have x number of useless cushions. They won't allow anyone to use said cushions. Will remove the cushion if they see it being used. Will buy new cushions if their husband buys x or does y. Will spend $60++ on a new useless cushion. It's horrifying! Every single one of the cushions (there aren't many) in my house get used every day. And I discovered years ago that having to remove and replace cushions on a bed is too stressful to be worth the time and effort to do it.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6380 on: June 05, 2017, 04:47:36 AM »
A friend liked a post by a minor celebrity that was basically bragging about having 10 cushions on her bed. That is 10 cushions that are purely decorative and get moved to the floor for sleeping. I can't help myself. I just have to read the comments on posts like this. The comments were full of people bragging about how they have x number of useless cushions. They won't allow anyone to use said cushions. Will remove the cushion if they see it being used. Will buy new cushions if their husband buys x or does y. Will spend $60++ on a new useless cushion. It's horrifying! Every single one of the cushions (there aren't many) in my house get used every day. And I discovered years ago that having to remove and replace cushions on a bed is too stressful to be worth the time and effort to do it.

Decorative cushions a thing that my mother buys and puts in my house for which I yell at her.  I'm with you, I have having to move things around in order to go to sleep.  It annoys me greatly that I currently have extra old pillows on my beds because I'm in the process of selling my house and I need it to meet other people's expectations.   

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6381 on: June 05, 2017, 07:15:28 AM »
...It annoys me greatly that I currently have extra old pillows on my beds because I'm in the process of selling my house and I need it to meet other people's expectations.
Meh, just consider it another frugal mustachian activity. If it helps you get a good price for your house, what the hell do you care? And please stop yelling at your mother ;-)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6382 on: June 05, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »
...It annoys me greatly that I currently have extra old pillows on my beds because I'm in the process of selling my house and I need it to meet other people's expectations.
Meh, just consider it another frugal mustachian activity. If it helps you get a good price for your house, what the hell do you care? And please stop yelling at your mother ;-)

My wife has extra decorative (throw) pillows on our bed. I try and be the first one in bed and then ambush her when she walks in by throwing the "throw" pillows at her. lol they do serve a purpose.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6383 on: June 05, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
My girlfriend enjoys having a silly amount of pillows on our bed, but she doesn't seem to understand that unlike her, I'm too tall to sleep in front of the pillows halfway down the bed.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6384 on: June 05, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »
Extra pillows mostly drive me crazy and I got rid of the decorative pillows on the bed years ago. That said, now that I am pregnant and getting uncomfortable, I sleep will all sorts of pillows wedged in unlikely places in a vain attempt to get comfortable. I need to break down and just buy a damn body pillow already.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6385 on: June 05, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »
Extra pillows mostly drive me crazy and I got rid of the decorative pillows on the bed years ago. That said, now that I am pregnant and getting uncomfortable, I sleep will all sorts of pillows wedged in unlikely places in a vain attempt to get comfortable. I need to break down and just buy a damn body pillow already.
Get one of these, it is great for nursing too: https://www.google.no/search?q=ammepute+engelsk&oq=ammepute+engel&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.3055j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=nursing+pillow

Make sure you choose one with "beads" that can be shaped any way you want, not the foam options.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6386 on: June 05, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
I wonder if these extra pillows being discussed here are filled with FOAM!

Frugal Giant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6387 on: June 05, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »

Orange foam pillows, or black foam pillows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #6388 on: June 05, 2017, 07:53:58 PM »

I've been seeing comments like this a lot recently. Anyone care to let me in on the joke?

My wife has extra decorative (throw) pillows on our bed. I try and be the first one in bed and then ambush her when she walks in by throwing the "throw" pillows at her. lol they do serve a purpose.

Well I stand corrected and take back my useless comment. Sounds like fun.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6389 on: June 05, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »
The body pillow I liked most when pregnant was $8 at target.just a plain straight one.
I hated the $60 snoogle that everyone raves about.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6390 on: June 05, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »

I've been seeing comments like this a lot recently. Anyone care to let me in on the joke?

Pretty sure I messed up the quotes there, but oh well. There's a 10 page or so discussion on black boxes that are actually orange, way back in one of the overheard threads. Maybe Overhead at Work?  It's rather epic and has become legendary.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #6391 on: June 05, 2017, 09:08:22 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to go search for it when I have more time. Sounds like it will be entertaining :) stupid work gets in the way of all my fun.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6392 on: June 05, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »

Orange v. black and "foam" comments are referencing old off-topic topics to hint that the current off-topic topic is getting out of hand. I.e., a cute way of saying "hey, can we get back on topic, please?"

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6393 on: June 06, 2017, 07:07:58 AM »

lol - you earned this -

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6394 on: June 06, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »

Pretty sure I messed up the quotes there, but oh well. There's a 10 page or so discussion on black boxes that are actually orange, way back in one of the overheard threads. Maybe Overhead at Work?  It's rather epic and has become legendary.
It is legend. Rated 5/7. Page turner, a must-read.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6395 on: June 06, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »

Orange v. black and "foam" comments are referencing old off-topic topics to hint that the current off-topic topic is getting out of hand. I.e., a cute way of saying "hey, can we get back on topic, please?"

If you're interested:

Just an FYI guys it's called a black box

Yeah, but did you know they're not actually black? They're bright orange, so they can be seen better.

Sometimes they're red.

I have a picture I took in lower manhattan a couple of days after 9-11, of a poster that the FBI put up asking for help locating the 'black box'.   The one they showed in the poster was red.   I'll find the picture and post it here later.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6396 on: June 06, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »

5/7, LMAO! Well played!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6397 on: June 06, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »

5/7, LMAO! Well played!
Here's the reference for those in the dark: https://imgur.com/a/Gjcb5

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6398 on: June 06, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »
lol

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #6399 on: June 06, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »

Here's the reference for those in the dark: https://imgur.com/a/Gjcb5