Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082295 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5900 on: January 26, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
I'm just going to leave this here.

Even better, the comments were full of bickering with the seller for being out of the area and the seller tagging the admin every time someone tagged a local friend who could make the same thing.

I sold these for Christmas!  Good side gig :)

Lots of people make the exact same thing.  But most people are too lazy to make something on their own.

(And $5 is actually a pretty reasonable price considering the labor. Placing vinyl on plastic is a pain, and vinyl isn't free. Some people use heat transfer vinyl onto the toilet paper- but HTV is really expensive, so I thought they were crazy.)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5901 on: January 26, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »

Even better, the comments were full of bickering with the seller for being out of the area and the seller tagging the admin every time someone tagged a local friend who could make the same thing.
That's horrible... they used insure instead of ensure.

Maybe she's actually insuring the shipment?
You beat me to it.  "If you order by 1/28, and for only an additional $1 per roll, you can protect your investment in this amazing TP gift and guarantee delivery by 2/14!"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5902 on: January 26, 2017, 11:44:21 AM »

That's horrible... they used insure instead of ensure.

Maybe she's actually insuring the shipment?

I hope she ensures that she insures the shipment.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5903 on: January 26, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »

I sold these for Christmas!  Good side gig :)

Lots of people make the exact same thing.  But most people are too lazy to make something on their own.

(And $5 is actually a pretty reasonable price considering the labor. Placing vinyl on plastic is a pain, and vinyl isn't free. Some people use heat transfer vinyl onto the toilet paper- but HTV is really expensive, so I thought they were crazy.)

I agree that $5 is reasonable for the work involved. Vinyl can be a PITA. It was the $8 for a single roll of TP that struck me as a little ridiculous, though unlike most gag gifts, at least it's a consumable item and not clutter! :-) Kudos to you for capitalizing on the idea!!

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5904 on: January 26, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »
Seen on our local facebook selling group:

Changing the colour scheme in my lounge so need to change my sofa (picture of lounge shows very new looking decor)

Bought new 6 months ago for £1850 will sell for £750

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5905 on: January 26, 2017, 02:39:59 PM »
Seen on our local facebook selling group:

Changing the colour scheme in my lounge so need to change my sofa (picture of lounge shows very new looking decor)

Bought new 6 months ago for £1850 will sell for £750
Actually worth £250 to the "buying a couch on facebook" market.  Maybe.  On a good day.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5906 on: January 26, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »
All the teachers I know have been complaining on Facebook (plus in phone calls and texts with me) about having to go back to work today.

Nobody complains about work as much as teachers. Nobody.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5907 on: January 26, 2017, 05:00:44 PM »

Are people commonly FB friends with people under age?  I made an active decision to not friend anyone under 18 as I will occasionally swear or mention adult topics and I dont want the drama of some parent being pissed at me for dropping an F-bomb on some sweet little innocent 17yo snowflake.  I have fairly few teenagers in the extend family so it does not come up that much but parents seen to have understood when it has.

My rule is no crossing of the generations. Cousins, yes. Aunts, Uncles, parents, no. I just get too much second-hand embarassment from watching friend's parents comment inanely on every.single.post.

It goes down too, I have denied all requests from cousins' children. They would probably feel the second-hand embarrassment for the stuff I post, and I don't want to have a window into their world if they are not comfortable friending their parents, because might I feel obliged to tell the parents if I saw anything untoward? Just an easy way out of that.

I fully admit I'm mean though. My mother thinks this is a personal slight. Do not care.  I use social media for fun, not out of obligation.
Well,  it's kinda fun.  DH comments our our 16 y.o daughter's boyfriend's posts.  You know, with things like "Your girlfriend's dad thinks this picture is funny"...   and such.  (the photo was an embarassing one his sister put up for his birthday

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #5908 on: January 26, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »
"I'm sending people fb messages to do it and if they don't, I'm deleting them. If you can't help my kid then u don't need to see my posts"

What an asshat! I'd save her the trouble and delete and block her before she gets the chance.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5909 on: January 27, 2017, 06:01:23 AM »
All the teachers I know have been complaining on Facebook (plus in phone calls and texts with me) about having to go back to work today.

Older teachers maybe.  All the younger ones I know seem to like it

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5910 on: January 27, 2017, 08:06:26 AM »

I dunno - I met some real professional complainers in the military...

MostlyBearded

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5911 on: January 27, 2017, 09:51:02 AM »
What happened to finding a patch of grass/dirt/concrete, setting two objects down for the posts, and finding other kids to kick the ball around with?

Recreational soccer is one of the cheapest activities ever. You just need shoes and a ball. Studs, coaches, moms, and minivans are completely optional.

I've always heard and assumed that's one of the reasons it's the most popular sport in the world. Bare bones requirements as compared to American football or (holy sh$t you can spend a lot) hockey.

But what about the orange slices?  Everyone knows you can't play soccer without having orange slices on hand, at least judging by my local market on Saturday mornings ...

I don't think poor kids in the favelas of Brazil worry about not having orange slices for after their match. They have bigger fish to fry....

Fancy pants Brazilian kids with their post game fried fish... what's wrong with some simple orange slices! :D

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #5912 on: January 27, 2017, 11:03:50 AM »
Not strictly anti-Mustachian (apart from me wanting to tell them all, if you hate it so much then stop buying shoes and start saving for early retirement), but...

A relative phone last night and it was all she had to talk about!

Always great when people who get six or seven weeks off over Christmas complain to people who get two weeks off.

>.<

Where does she work that she gets six or seven weeks off over Christmas?  Is she at a college/university level?  Every school I have ever heard about gets two weeks off for Christmas (and maybe one extra day if New Years falls funny).

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5913 on: January 27, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »
Not strictly anti-Mustachian (apart from me wanting to tell them all, if you hate it so much then stop buying shoes and start saving for early retirement), but...

Always great when people who get six or seven weeks off over Christmas complain to people who get two weeks off.

>.<

Where does she work that she gets six or seven weeks off over Christmas?  Is she at a college/university level?  Every school I have ever heard about gets two weeks off for Christmas (and maybe one extra day if New Years falls funny).
They're in Australia according to the profile - might work differently there.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #5914 on: January 27, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »

Ah.  That makes more sense, if they also have the summer vacations we have in the US.  And I am impressed that the non-school employers that mustachepungoeshere with which is familiar routinely gives out two week Christmas vacations!  I feel as though a few days is standard here?  Hmm!   Now that I think of it, most of the people I'm close to are in education (two weeks!) or health care / retail (busy time of the year so you'll probably work MORE hours than usual that week).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5915 on: January 27, 2017, 11:57:52 AM »

>.<

In Australia, Christmas is in July

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5916 on: January 27, 2017, 12:03:59 PM »

Ah.  That makes more sense, if they also have the summer vacations we have in the US.  And I am impressed that the non-school employers that mustachepungoeshere with which is familiar routinely gives out two week Christmas vacations!  I feel as though a few days is standard here?  Hmm!   Now that I think of it, most of the people I'm close to are in education (two weeks!) or health care / retail (busy time of the year so you'll probably work MORE hours than usual that week).
Totally depends on the job - retail you're lucky if you don't have to work the day of the holiday; a lot office or government type jobs give you a day or two.  But a lot of factories shut down for a couple weeks around the holidays, and some companies will even roll that to a lot of the office staff as well.  Would be nice if everyone worked a more school-like calendar though.  Probably a lot less stress-related issues for a lot of people if we had a long break every year.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5917 on: January 27, 2017, 01:29:17 PM »

>.<

Yes, Australia.

Most schools have a six-week break over Christmas. Some private schools have seven.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5918 on: January 27, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »

>.<

Christmas -- aka Australian summer.   My kids get summer off, too.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #5919 on: January 27, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »

>.<

When the university I went to worked on quarters instead of semesters we were off from Thanksgiving to New year every year.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5920 on: January 27, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »

>.<

Summer vacation in the southern hemisphere is my only guess.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5921 on: January 28, 2017, 06:52:55 AM »
SIL sent private messages to everyone she knows trying to get donations for her kids' soccer teams. This happens every couple of months. I've muted her after the last one, so I hadn't noticed she asked me again (she also asked DW). Today, she texts DW:

"I'm sending people fb messages to do it and if they don't, I'm deleting them. If you can't help my kid then u don't need to see my posts"

because one kid got $1k and the other got $600. We haven't given anything this time because it's all too much.

Ugh..............

kiwibeach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • getting there......
« Reply #5922 on: January 28, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »
Christmas vacation is also summer vacation in New Zealand and Australia. 
The high school where I teach finished for the year on December 12, the students at back on Tuesday, January 31st for the beginning of the new school year. School year goes from February to December for all schools in New Zealand. 
Then two weeks vacation (called holidays down under) in April, July and September.

The return to school after summer vacation  is always motivating for me in terms of saving more!! My department has one particularly good example of why teaching at 64 with ill health is not good for anyone.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5923 on: January 29, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »
Friend of mine posts about going out for food every day. Today there was a picture of his hole-ridden socks that he 'can't afford' to replace.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5924 on: January 29, 2017, 07:53:30 PM »
Friend of mine posts about going out for food every day. Today there was a picture of his hole-ridden socks that he 'can't afford' to replace.
To be fair, people need food. Very few people need socks at the level they need food.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5925 on: January 29, 2017, 07:57:19 PM »
To be fair, people need food. Very few people need socks at the level they need food.

He should eat at Socks n' Lox, the only bagel shop that offers a free pair of socks with every meal!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5926 on: January 30, 2017, 07:22:18 AM »

I'm not sure I'd give him this one on a "to be fair". If he was posting about buying generic peanut butter and on-sale bread and couldn't afford to replace his socks, that is one thing. But going out daily? 

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5927 on: January 30, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »

I'm not sure I'd give him this one on a "to be fair". If he was posting about buying generic peanut butter and on-sale bread and couldn't afford to replace his socks, that is one thing. But going out daily?

Can't afford to replace socks? What kind of socks is he buying?

My unmustachian confession: I've thrown out bundles of socks because a few got holes. I find it far less aggravating to have a clean drawer full of matched socks, rather than a bunch of different brands/mismatched socks. But we're talking like 25 bucks here to get 10 pair or something.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5928 on: January 30, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »

Can't afford to replace socks? What kind of socks is he buying?

My unmustachian confession: I've thrown out bundles of socks because a few got holes. I find it far less aggravating to have a clean drawer full of matched socks, rather than a bunch of different brands/mismatched socks. But we're talking like 25 bucks here to get 10 pair or something.

6-pack of black socks from Costco is around 10$. I have a drawer-full of black socks. One gets a hole? No problem. Any 2 socks are a pair if they're all short and black. Once a year or so I add an extra pack, and this seems to keep the system going quite well.

Apparently it's not the most feminine approach, but like hell am I spending time pairing colorful socks. I have a life to go be having.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5929 on: January 30, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
Family member on FB and their cars.  Notoriously bad at buying cars and trading in after 6 months, over and over and over.

They were doing better!  Had a Camry. 

I think I mentioned it here, but last summer bought a brand new tricked out Jeep.  And all I could think was "gas hog, high price, won't last".

Anyhoo, it's 5 months later.  The car has almost 12,000 miles on it, and she's got different priorities now so she's letting her baby go, firm $33,500.

5 month old car with 12,000 miles (2500 from a trip to Florida and back just last month), oh and did I mention she hit a deer?

She's showing a NADA values for trade in, but as far as I can tell, I can build the same car on the Jeep website for a little under $30k.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5930 on: January 30, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
Family member on FB and their cars.  Notoriously bad at buying cars and trading in after 6 months, over and over and over.

I think I mentioned it here, but last summer bought a brand new tricked out Jeep.  And all I could think was "gas hog, high price, won't last".

Anyhoo, it's 5 months later.  The car has almost 12,000 miles on it, and she's got different priorities now so she's letting her baby go, firm $33,500.

5 month old car with 12,000 miles (2500 from a trip to Florida and back just last month), oh and did I mention she hit a deer?

She's showing a NADA values for trade in, but as far as I can tell, I can build the same car on the Jeep website for a little under $30k.

Well, this is a no-brainer. Clearly you are not including the value of the deer imprint on the vehicle in your comparison. I mean, c'mon man, it's a Jeep...shit like that adds value, right?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5931 on: January 30, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »

Well, this is a no-brainer. Clearly you are not including the value of the deer imprint on the vehicle in your comparison. I mean, c'mon man, it's a Jeep...shit like that adds value, right?

And don't forget the trip to Florida! It's a well-traveled Jeep. The radiator may have love bugs splattered all over it.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5932 on: January 31, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »

What an asshat! I'd save her the trouble and delete and block her before she gets the chance.

I'm not on FB, but I think I would post that comment on her FB page.  That is incredibly assholish behavior

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5933 on: January 31, 2017, 07:49:04 PM »
Comment from poster was, "Ya! That will never happen....and you know what...that is ok!"

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5934 on: February 01, 2017, 08:10:04 AM »
Been working 2 years at this company.  The best I can tell u about payday is I think it's fortnightly. 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5935 on: February 02, 2017, 02:35:40 AM »
Comment from poster was, "Ya! That will never happen....and you know what...that is ok!"

I already posted this in the Mustachian People Problems thread, but once I was so financially secure I forgot it was payday.

Unfortunately, the rest of our employees, for whom I run payroll, had not forgotten...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5936 on: February 02, 2017, 06:26:48 AM »
Been working 2 years at this company.  The best I can tell u about payday is I think it's fortnightly.
Been working almost 7 years at mine. I don't keep track of paydays, only realizing when I get an automated email reminder from the paycheck processing company.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5937 on: February 02, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »

I already posted this in the Mustachian People Problems thread, but once I was so financially secure I forgot it was payday.

Unfortunately, the rest of our employees, for whom I run payroll, had not forgotten...

Oh goodness!

I never know when payday is- but I don't pay other people!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5938 on: February 02, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »

My old boss did this to us a couple of times when he went on vacation and forgot to schedule it in advance. It always outs the people living paycheck-to-paycheck, they arrive at work in a panic saying all their payments will bounce because their pay didn't get automatically deposited at the stroke of midnight.

I run payroll at my company now and I have extensive electronic reminders set up so that I never forget anything payroll-related, including reminding our 1099/part-time people to submit their hours, reminding my boss to submit commissions for the sales staff, reminding me to submit payroll with plenty of time to spare, etc. While I think it is best not to be paycheck-to-paycheck, that doesn't mean it's OK to be late!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5939 on: February 02, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »

My old boss did this to us a couple of times when he went on vacation and forgot to schedule it in advance. It always outs the people living paycheck-to-paycheck, they arrive at work in a panic saying all their payments will bounce because their pay didn't get automatically deposited at the stroke of midnight.

You don't have to live paycheck to paycheck to have it be an issue; I schedule automatic payments out of my checking account, and I have my checking account balance stay relatively low because I keep my money elsewhere in things that actually make money.  Yeah, I can transfer money to fix the problem, possibly incurring fees in the process, but it's still time and expense I have to incur as a result of someone else's inexcusable fuckup. 

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #5940 on: February 02, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »

You don't have to live paycheck to paycheck to have it be an issue; I schedule automatic payments out of my checking account, and I have my checking account balance stay relatively low because I keep my money elsewhere in things that actually make money.  Yeah, I can transfer money to fix the problem, possibly incurring fees in the process, but it's still time and expense I have to incur as a result of someone else's inexcusable fuckup.
Agreed.  If my two-week paycheck is late (by a day, not hours), does that mean I get a free pass to be late everyday (hours late, not minutes) for two weeks?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5941 on: February 02, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »

People like you are the ones who get mad/annoyed about it, while the people who are paycheck-to-paycheck are panicking because their financial house of cards is on the edge of collapse. It's a different reaction. Either way, I take an enormous amount of care never to do it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5942 on: February 02, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »

People like you are the ones who get mad/annoyed about it, while the people who are paycheck-to-paycheck are panicking because their financial house of cards is on the edge of collapse. It's a different reaction. Either way, I take an enormous amount of care never to do it.

But I still might arrive at work in a 'panic' because my payments will bounce. 

Point is that people love to jump to the conclusion people get upset about money because they manage it poorly, but you simply can't know if someone is upset their mortgage bounced because they have $.12 or $1.2M of money spread across other accounts.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5943 on: February 02, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »

Point is that people love to jump to the conclusion people get upset about money because they manage it poorly, but you simply can't know if someone is upset their mortgage bounced because they have $.12 or $1.2M of money spread across other accounts.

In my example, those were all people I've known and worked closely with for years... so I am pretty sure I would know the difference. :-)  I'm not so judgey that I would assume anything about a total stranger, of course.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5944 on: February 02, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »

If it is a question between overpriced sushi several times a week and socks, I would pick socks.

Former coworker (yesterday): OMG, my heat is out and why can refugees and illegals get money but nobody will help us fix our heat? (This is a paraphrase, but you get the idea).
Same former coworker (today): Thanks to (person's name) for fixing the heat! Now off to McDonalds to celebrate!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5945 on: February 03, 2017, 12:38:23 AM »

In my example, those were all people I've known and worked closely with for years... so I am pretty sure I would know the difference. :-)  I'm not so judgey that I would assume anything about a total stranger, of course.

When my company started paying our expenses late I had a mild dose of panic because that is what happens when a company has crap cash flow and is about to start folding or canning people. It turned out they were just crap at maths and the US hadn't accounted for our public holidays properly.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5946 on: February 03, 2017, 12:46:43 AM »

If it is a question between overpriced sushi several times a week and socks, I would pick socks.

If I had to choose between giving up socks forever and sushi forever... That is not even a hard choice. Insulated shoes and slippers it would be.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5947 on: February 03, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
Saw a post today from some friends who we thought were immune from keeping up with the Joneses. Maybe they were just unable to afford it until now.

"Traded in my car I got for my 18th birthday, over 150,000 miles and 11 years of growing up!" Okay, maybe they went with a sensible replacement. Farther down in the comments... "We got a new range rover"

Holy hell, those things MSRP at $85,000. This couple is 29 years old.... even at 0% interest you're talking $1,400 A MONTH.... the opportunity cost... GAAAHHHH!!!!!!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5948 on: February 03, 2017, 07:47:53 AM »
Don't leave out the rest of the story - they pay $1400 a month to drive the RR and $1500 a month for an efficiency apartment they dislike and they complain about money??? ;)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5949 on: February 03, 2017, 08:11:31 AM »
Saw a post today from some friends who we thought were immune from keeping up with the Joneses. Maybe they were just unable to afford it until now.

"Traded in my car I got for my 18th birthday, over 150,000 miles and 11 years of growing up!" Okay, maybe they went with a sensible replacement. Farther down in the comments... "We got a new range rover"

Holy hell, those things MSRP at $85,000. This couple is 29 years old.... even at 0% interest you're talking $1,400 A MONTH.... the opportunity cost... GAAAHHHH!!!!!!

There are several different Range Rovers, ranging from the Evoque starting at $42k and up.