Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082572 times)

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5950 on: February 03, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »
There are several different Range Rovers, ranging from the Evoque starting at $42k and up.

Perhaps they "settled" on this option. Still, quite the spendypants endeavor with massive opportunity cost for a 29 year old, no?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5951 on: February 03, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »
There are several different Range Rovers, ranging from the Evoque starting at $42k and up.

Perhaps they "settled" on this option. Still, quite the spendypants endeavor with massive opportunity cost for a 29 year old, no?

Maybe, maybe not.  Hard to look at one single aspect of someone's spending and judge that.  We bought my wife a $40k SUV when she was 31 two years ago.  We'll make ~$250k this year, and we're hardly unique.  Is it a brilliant financial move?  Obviously not, but it doesn't affect our savings goals either, so whatever. 

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5952 on: February 03, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »
Sometimes people say "new" when they really mean "new to us." But yeah, I'd say a Range Rover is a sensible choice for very few out there.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5953 on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:14 AM »
Friend of mine posts about going out for food every day. Today there was a picture of his hole-ridden socks that he 'can't afford' to replace.
To be fair, people need food. Very few people need socks at the level they need food.

If it is a question between overpriced sushi several times a week and socks, I would pick socks.

If I had to choose between giving up socks forever and sushi forever... That is not even a hard choice. Insulated shoes and slippers it would be.
+1
I have really pretty feet.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5954 on: February 03, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »
Don't leave out the rest of the story - they pay $1400 a month to drive the RR and $1500 a month for an efficiency apartment they dislike and they complain about money??? ;)

In January, at the top of the parking lot at the ski hill. Big snow day.

I had the great satisfaction of seeing a new range rover get stuck... in the snow in the middle of the parking lot -- not even at the side of the road.   Wheels spinning, etc.  It took volunteers to get him out.  and my DH said to me "that must be particularly embarrassing" which is when I learned what Range Rovers are supposed to be able to do for the money.  Apparently you can get 2 wheel drive RR's that have weird low profile tires for smoother rides.

The minivans (with chains), and our mature toyota were some of the primary cars to easily make it out of there.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5955 on: February 03, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »
Sometimes people say "new" when they really mean "new to us." But yeah, I'd say a Range Rover is a sensible choice for very few out there.

It's not just the base price, it's the shit reliability and increased cost of everything (since they are relatively rare imports compared to say, a Honda)

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5956 on: February 03, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »
I don't have anything to share yet.  Just posting to follow, because this is the most motivating thread I've read on this forum.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5957 on: February 03, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »
Don't leave out the rest of the story - they pay $1400 a month to drive the RR and $1500 a month for an efficiency apartment they dislike and they complain about money??? ;)

In January, at the top of the parking lot at the ski hill. Big snow day.

I had the great satisfaction of seeing a new range rover get stuck... in the snow in the middle of the parking lot -- not even at the side of the road.   Wheels spinning, etc.  It took volunteers to get him out.  and my DH said to me "that must be particularly embarrassing" which is when I learned what Range Rovers are supposed to be able to do for the money.  Apparently you can get 2 wheel drive RR's that have weird low profile tires for smoother rides.

The minivans (with chains), and our mature toyota were some of the primary cars to easily make it out of there.

Doesn't it make ya want to toot your horn as you drive by in your totally PAID FOR family hauler? I don't know about you but I'm proud of my well worn (but very presentable) cars. Its sort of an underdog/little engine that could sort of thing. They never cost that much and they keep on getting the job done going on two decades. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5958 on: February 03, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
Silly, the Range Rover isn't for driving in snow

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5959 on: February 05, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
I'll just leave this here.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5960 on: February 05, 2017, 10:02:01 AM »
Eek!  What happened to (paraphrased) "measure twice, buy once"?

(Edited to fix an autocorrect problem...)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:22:02 PM by Taran Wanderer »

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5961 on: February 05, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »
"I'm sending people fb messages to do it and if they don't, I'm deleting them. If you can't help my kid then u don't need to see my posts"

What an asshat! I'd save her the trouble and delete and block her before she gets the chance.

I'm not on FB, but I think I would post that comment on her FB page.  That is incredibly assholish behavior
She's deleting her messages, not the people. I'm not sure I understand what people are getting angry about? If you're not reading the message, ultimately she deletes it. Makes it easier to remove noise in her inbox/outbox?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5962 on: February 05, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »
"I'm sending people fb messages to do it and if they don't, I'm deleting them. If you can't help my kid then u don't need to see my posts"

What an asshat! I'd save her the trouble and delete and block her before she gets the chance.

I'm not on FB, but I think I would post that comment on her FB page.  That is incredibly assholish behavior
She's deleting her messages, not the people. I'm not sure I understand what people are getting angry about? If you're not reading the message, ultimately she deletes it. Makes it easier to remove noise in her inbox/outbox?

No. You are wrong.

QueenAlice

• Bristles
  • QueenAlice, PhD
« Reply #5963 on: February 06, 2017, 06:32:30 AM »

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5964 on: February 06, 2017, 02:46:39 PM »
I'll just leave this here.

Sheesh facebook sale groups are worse that craigslist I swear. I keep seeing ads for "custom" this or that - um it's not custom when you try to re-sell it. It was custom only for your space/decor, now those are just used curtains/sofa/rug/etc.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5965 on: February 06, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
To summarize and merge a few different lines from a FB friend: "Money is tight right now, I dont have the cash to pay my weekly landscaper to re-sod my yard."  The city gave her a fix-it ticket because during the California water restrictions her yard died and is basically dirt now and "unimproved".  She posted a pic and it does not look that bad, bushes and trees look fine - I suggested she put down some seed but not sure that is time of year/climate appropriate.  WRT crying poor while paying a gardener... I will not touch that with a ten foot pole.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5966 on: February 06, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »
Sheesh. Buy some f$&%ing bark dust and be done with it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5967 on: February 07, 2017, 06:08:46 AM »
To summarize and merge a few different lines from a FB friend: "Money is tight right now, I dont have the cash to pay my weekly landscaper to re-sod my yard."  The city gave her a fix-it ticket because during the California water restrictions her yard died and is basically dirt now and "unimproved".  She posted a pic and it does not look that bad, bushes and trees look fine - I suggested she put down some seed but not sure that is time of year/climate appropriate.  WRT crying poor while paying a gardener... I will not touch that with a ten foot pole.

Wow.  Why, in an area subject to water restrictions, is putting sod down the default?  So it can die during the next drought and need to be replaced again, all while sucking up too much water.  Maybe give her some links on xeriscaping?  She could put in some buffalo grass plugs if she really feels the need for lawn, but yeah, DIY it.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5968 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:32 AM »

Wow.  Why, in an area subject to water restrictions, is putting sod down the default?  So it can die during the next drought and need to be replaced again, all while sucking up too much water.  Maybe give her some links on xeriscaping?  She could put in some buffalo grass plugs if she really feels the need for lawn, but yeah, DIY it.

I grew up mostly in NorCaL but have not lived there since the early 00's but I think the legal/cultural/societal expectations that you have a green front lawn have not really changed much over the decades.  I mean most all of the state has regular droughts but I am not sure that is seen as 'normal'.  Just checked and 11 of the last 20 years are refereed to as 'dry years'.  At some point you have to drop the word 'dry' and just call them 'years'.  What do the current Ca residents think - are green yards still a standard where you are looked down upon if you dont have it?

I am not sure of all her details but I suspect she is in a rock vs hard place situation; several young kids, HCOL area trying to get into a new profession.  Where both time and money are very tight so long term investments are hard given day to day struggles.  But yeah a weekly gardener...

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5969 on: February 07, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »

I grew up mostly in NorCaL but have not lived there since the early 00's but I think the legal/cultural/societal expectations that you have a green front lawn have not really changed much over the decades.  I mean most all of the state has regular droughts but I am not sure that is seen as 'normal'.  Just checked and 11 of the last 20 years are refereed to as 'dry years'.  At some point you have to drop the word 'dry' and just call them 'years'.  What do the current Ca residents think - are green yards still a standard where you are looked down upon if you dont have it?

I am not sure of all her details but I suspect she is in a rock vs hard place situation; several young kids, HCOL area trying to get into a new profession.  Where both time and money are very tight so long term investments are hard given day to day struggles.  But yeah a weekly gardener...

In my parent's town in SoCal, the city is giving incentives to convert lawn to drought-tolerant landscaping. My parents have done a portion of their front yard that way and also have expanded the patio to take over some of the back lawn and reduce water use. I think the social expectation is still that yards look "nice", though the definition of that is somewhat broader than it used to be.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5970 on: February 07, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »

DH is from California.  We're in a middle-upper class neighborhood in Boise with lots of nice green lawns.  He was worried about neighbor perceptions when I xeriscaped most if it, but have had nothing but positive comments from neighbors.  If some people hate it, they keep it to themselves.  Not to mention it provides much better pollinator habitat, and will be great bird habitat in a few years too.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5971 on: February 07, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
I'm in the Bay Area and the expression for the last year or so has been "brown is the new green". I think people look positively on people getting rid of the grass and replacing it with something less water-intensive.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #5972 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
I'm in the Bay Area and the expression for the last year or so has been "brown is the new green". I think people look positively on people getting rid of the grass and replacing it with something less water-intensive.
i'd think (even hope) w succulents being the Cool Young People Plant that this would be a trendy and eco friendly thing to do :)

BeardedLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5973 on: February 07, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »
Saw this gem on the ODs on Facebook page, a forum for doctors of optometry to post interesting cases and other career related tips. The best part is that this is the guy who regularly posts photos of the expensive shoes he buys his wife when he "messes up."

"So you are 28 years old and graduated OD school with a $250K student loan. You work your behind to pay that loan off in 10 years, so that makes you 38. You feel like you are in a grove so you decided to get a $350K business loan and open a practice. Your practice is an average practice generating about $600K a year. Good enough to service that loan for the next 15 years and pay yourself a good salary. A couple of years into the business, you get married and bought a house to raise your children. Another $250K for the next 15 years. Maybe 30.
By the time you paid off your business loan, you just hit 53, and you still have the mortgage left and the kid's college.
Where the hell do you have time to save for your retirement, if retiring comfortably requires about $2 million?
Edited: you are the sole provider! Throw that one in."

The comments are predictable whining about how one "couldn't possibly ONLY spend $250K on a house" and "try starting over after divorce!" followed by the one-upmanship of who has the worst financial situation. My personal favorite: "I'm worth more dead than alive thanks to life insurance."

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5974 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5975 on: February 08, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »

Ha! Some people just clearly do not track their money...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5976 on: February 08, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »

Ha! Some people just clearly do not track their money...
And there are several apps with notifications to track... How do these people... Whatever.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5977 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
No one I know, or if it is, not visiting their house

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5978 on: February 08, 2017, 12:12:48 PM »
Saw this gem on the ODs on Facebook page, a forum for doctors of optometry to post interesting cases and other career related tips. The best part is that this is the guy who regularly posts photos of the expensive shoes he buys his wife when he "messes up."

"So you are 28 years old and graduated OD school with a $250K student loan. You work your behind to pay that loan off in 10 years, so that makes you 38. You feel like you are in a grove so you decided to get a $350K business loan and open a practice. Your practice is an average practice generating about $600K a year. Good enough to service that loan for the next 15 years and pay yourself a good salary. A couple of years into the business, you get married and bought a house to raise your children. Another $250K for the next 15 years. Maybe 30.
By the time you paid off your business loan, you just hit 53, and you still have the mortgage left and the kid's college.
Where the hell do you have time to save for your retirement, if retiring comfortably requires about $2 million?

The comments are predictable whining about how one "couldn't possibly ONLY spend $250K on a house" and "try starting over after divorce!" followed by the one-upmanship of who has the worst financial situation. My personal favorite: "I'm worth more dead than alive thanks to life insurance."

It's an unwritten rule that you MUST spend every dollar that comes your way, there is no other use for them. Why do you think it's called "disposable income"? You must dispose of it before it sits around too long in your account and rots.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #5979 on: February 08, 2017, 01:19:35 PM »
think about it.

i actually love the meme format

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5980 on: February 08, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »

Haha, horsepoor doesn't know how to use the three sea shells!!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5981 on: February 08, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
i'd think (even hope) w succulents being the Cool Young People Plant that this would be a trendy and eco friendly thing to do :)
Yup.  Lots of fake grass going in here.  Our back yard has been dirt for years now.  Our front is dirt and weeds (yes we are *those* neighbors).  We have plans to put in a low water ground cover (silver carpet), and even pulled out the weeds so it could go in.  then did nothing, then it rained, now the weeds are back.  Ah well.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5982 on: February 08, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »

*snicker*

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5983 on: February 08, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »

ARRGH!   Quotes from bad movies that no one else recognizes... except RWD and i?    [waves hands without purpose]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:01:57 PM by Goldielocks »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5984 on: February 08, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »

Is that a Barbie doll or did someone really make her own face look like that?

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #5985 on: February 08, 2017, 10:39:10 PM »

Is that a Barbie doll or did someone really make her own face look like that?

Its from a movie where Tyra Banks plays a doll that comes to life, so... A little of both?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-Size

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5986 on: February 08, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »

ARRGH!   Quotes from bad movies that no one else recognizes... except RWD and i?    [waves hands without purpose]

I know that this wasn't part of your plan... but yes, I too have seen that excellent film.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #5987 on: February 09, 2017, 05:30:07 AM »
So, what do they use when they need wet wipes? Tea bags?

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #5988 on: February 09, 2017, 08:02:47 AM »

*snicker*

+1

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5989 on: February 09, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »

I know that this wasn't part of your plan... but yes, I too have seen that excellent film.
I have also watched the movie.  Years ago.  I loved it.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5990 on: February 09, 2017, 09:41:46 AM »

I have also watched the movie.  Years ago.  I loved it.

I've only seen it dubbed in Spanish. "Mi perro es mejor quel tuyo..."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5991 on: February 09, 2017, 10:43:50 AM »
Man, now I want to watch it again.  For those in Scandinavia, Demolition Man is only available on Netflix in your region for some reason.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5992 on: February 09, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Man, now I want to watch it again.  For those in Scandinavia, Demolition Man is only available on Netflix in your region for some reason.

Me too, I didn't find the movie to be particularly good, but I would like to give them another chance. Maybe I'll also check out the original Judge Dredd as well.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5993 on: February 09, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »

Me too, I didn't find the movie to be particularly good, but I would like to give them another chance. Maybe I'll also check out the original Judge Dredd as well.

The remake of Dredd from a couple years ago is surprisingly good.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5994 on: February 09, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »

The remake of Dredd from a couple years ago is surprisingly good.

Rob Schneider double feature

BeardedLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5995 on: February 09, 2017, 05:29:33 PM »

Major plot twist! Comments on this thread took a positive turn to how much one needs to retire with good arguments to combat the complainers. Someone even mentioned MMM, and now there are over 500 comments with the most recent debating the merits of early retirement vs part time work. Guess I should have posted on the anti-anti-mustachian thread. Proud of my colleagues! Any optometrists on here who would like to chat, please PM me.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5996 on: February 10, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
Why do you need 11 iPhone cases? One to match each purse?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5997 on: February 10, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
Why do you need 11 iPhone cases? One to match each purse?

Well I'm trying to cut back. I finally realized that 13 Iphone cases were too many.....

/s

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5998 on: February 10, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
Jeez, I guess whenever I saw someone with a new phone case I just assumed the old one was cheap and wore out.  Clearly I'm not thinking correctly...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5999 on: February 10, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »

Major plot twist! Comments on this thread took a positive turn to how much one needs to retire with good arguments to combat the complainers. Someone even mentioned MMM, and now there are over 500 comments with the most recent debating the merits of early retirement vs part time work. Guess I should have posted on the anti-anti-mustachian thread. Proud of my colleagues! Any optometrists on here who would like to chat, please PM me.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
Nice!  My parents are both optometrists and they've said they hear a lot of moaning like that so I'm glad people were there to straighten them out.