Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082290 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #7550 on: July 05, 2018, 05:11:32 PM »
I love iced coffee.  Cold brew uses 2 times the raw coffee.  I’m not willing to pay twice as much for something I can easily ice, despite the supposedly smoother taste

You are supposed to dilute the cold brew 1:1 with water after brewing, so same amount of grounds used as hot brewed coffee.

Good point, but I still don't think it's the same amount.  Perhaps 1.35 as suggested here

Either way, the wife drinks normal coffee so it's just easier to drink that.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7551 on: July 06, 2018, 04:56:31 AM »
So today I had the typical facebook look at my new car post.  This time my friend posted a picture of her new Jeep Renegade, in a different color from her old Jeep Renegade that she got 3 years ago.  At least she admitted that she "likes new cars and cannot lie."  But of course everyone was Congratulations.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7552 on: July 06, 2018, 05:03:50 PM »
So today I had the typical facebook look at my new car post.  This time my friend posted a picture of her new Jeep Renegade, in a different color from her old Jeep Renegade that she got 3 years ago.  At least she admitted that she "likes new cars and cannot lie."  But of course everyone was Congratulations.

It would be dickish to say otherwise -- unless they had been begging for money for necessities just recently.  Then it would be obligatory to help defend civilization… :)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7553 on: July 07, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »
I drink iced coffee...meaning, we make fresh coffee.  And I drink the leftovers cold, on day 2 and day 3.

This is exactly what I do. I pour the leftover coffee in a glass bottle and put it in the fridge. On the weekends I'm treating myself to extra fancy iced coffee by adding milk and maybe a teaspoon of cocoa powder.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7554 on: July 07, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
As a non-native speaker of English I'm always confused with the use of the word bathroom, which sometimes means actual bathroom and sometimes is just a euphemism for toilet.

In American English "bathroom" is the name of the room that the "toilet" is in. A bathroom does not have to have a shower / bathtub in it, it can just be a toilet and sink. Also in homes bathrooms are almost always designed for single occupancy, so it would be understood that if one bathroom was in use and there were no others then there was no available toilet.

To expand on that, in the US, if you ask for the "bathroom", "toilet", "restroom", "John", "head", "little girls room", "little boys room", "ladies' room", "men's room", "porcelain throne" and probably others, you will get directed to a place that contains a toilet. John and head may not be universally understood. If you're using the little girl's or boy's phrase, there needs to be a young child involved otherwise you're probably coming off as creepy. Some people are weird about what phrase you use, ie bathroom vs restroom, they'll understand but may judge.

Adding - I've heard toilet used to refer to the room as well as the actual toilet in the room. YMMV.

I've seen public toilets marked 'Pointers' and 'Squatters'   ;-l

Aren't squatters just the "hole in the ground" squat toilets as you often find them in Asia (and probably other continents, but I haven't been everywhere)? That's the only way I've heard of squatters at least :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7555 on: July 07, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »
As a non-native speaker of English I'm always confused with the use of the word bathroom, which sometimes means actual bathroom and sometimes is just a euphemism for toilet.

In American English "bathroom" is the name of the room that the "toilet" is in. A bathroom does not have to have a shower / bathtub in it, it can just be a toilet and sink. Also in homes bathrooms are almost always designed for single occupancy, so it would be understood that if one bathroom was in use and there were no others then there was no available toilet.

To expand on that, in the US, if you ask for the "bathroom", "toilet", "restroom", "John", "head", "little girls room", "little boys room", "ladies' room", "men's room", "porcelain throne" and probably others, you will get directed to a place that contains a toilet. John and head may not be universally understood. If you're using the little girl's or boy's phrase, there needs to be a young child involved otherwise you're probably coming off as creepy. Some people are weird about what phrase you use, ie bathroom vs restroom, they'll understand but may judge.

Adding - I've heard toilet used to refer to the room as well as the actual toilet in the room. YMMV.

I've seen public toilets marked 'Pointers' and 'Squatters'   ;-l

Aren't squatters just the "hole in the ground" squat toilets as you often find them in Asia (and probably other continents, but I haven't been everywhere)? That's the only way I've heard of squatters at least :)

The pointers and squatters referenced here are the people who are going to use the bathrooms, not the facilities themselves. (ie: Male = pointer; Female = squatter)

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7556 on: July 09, 2018, 07:13:34 AM »
The pointers and squatters referenced here are the people who are going to use the bathrooms, not the facilities themselves. (ie: Male = pointer; Female = squatter)

It might also be phrased that way to be more accepting to transgender people. Heck, I know cis men who prefer to sit to pee.

Babybalrog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7557 on: July 09, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »
She just bought a cold brew coffee maker.

Wait, cold brew coffee machines are a thing? I thought you just ground coffee, poured cold water over it, and chucked it in the fridge overnight.

I saw a cold brew machine and recommended it to a co-worker (who can not drink hot-brew coffee for medical reasons, acid). Trying to find it again I see there are many links to what about to a jar and filter. This was not one of those. It was basically a centrifuge that spins the grounds to extract the coffee, in about 5 minutes. That way if she forgets to make it at home she could make some in the office, or in the afternoons. It was about $30 on amazon, but i can't find it again. There are some for 70 if you search.... =(

I don't drink coffee myself. I brew lots of tea. and a dirty little secret is you can use tea bags more than once, heck I've used some 4+ times. Sometimes adding a second bag as the first weakens.  This is actually a more traditional way of brewing with whole leaves called Gong Fu. I don't know if the same thing can be done with coffee grounds.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7558 on: July 09, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »

It might also be phrased that way to be more accepting to transgender people. Heck, I know cis men who prefer to sit to pee.

It works for trans ladies. If you are using the ladies room and dressed like a lady, I feel that good manners is to sit to pee. But trans dudes presumably still need to sit, so might be offended by the wording.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7559 on: July 10, 2018, 07:30:56 AM »
But trans dudes presumably still need to sit, so might be offended by the wording.

Ahem. https://go-girl.com/shop/

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7560 on: July 15, 2018, 02:46:56 AM »

I see this a lot. About a year back friend of mine put a post up of his gigantic truck and it got hundreds of likes and congratulations. I am not a car person, so these things don't compute with me. I'm thinking to myself, gee I'll bet the dealer had a party that night with his commission.

Another friend has been staying in Paris this past week with his girlfriend (been seeing the happy snaps in my feed). They must have forgot what day of the week it was and got an email from the airline saying they'd missed their flight.

$5,000 later and flying via a couple of strange out-of-the way stopovers they made it back to Sydney this evening.

They both have to go to work tomorrow. At no point did either of them figure they were late.... the mind boggles sometimes.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7561 on: July 15, 2018, 03:33:15 AM »
Wow Marty - that is amazing.  I can imagine missing a train or flight within Europe that probably cost less than a hundred euros but $5000 - no way!

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7562 on: July 15, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »
Another friend has been staying in Paris this past week with his girlfriend (been seeing the happy snaps in my feed). They must have forgot what day of the week it was and got an email from the airline saying they'd missed their flight.

$5,000 later and flying via a couple of strange out-of-the way stopovers they made it back to Sydney this evening.

They both have to go to work tomorrow. At no point did either of them figure they were late.... the mind boggles sometimes.

Wow, that is an astonishing lack of awareness!  I cannot fathom losing track of time so badly that I forget what day it is and miss a flight home from Europe!  A $5,000 loss for that mistake has gotta hurt.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7563 on: July 15, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »

Wow, that is an astonishing lack of awareness!  I cannot fathom losing track of time so badly that I forget what day it is and miss a flight home from Europe!  A $5,000 loss for that mistake has gotta hurt.

I can only assume drugs were involved.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #7564 on: July 15, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »
I have never missed a flight, but will admit that once get to the airport only to find I'd accidentally booked my flight for the following month, rather than the day I'd intended to travel.  I needed to travel that day, so it cost me some $$$ to get my mistake straightened out.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7565 on: July 15, 2018, 11:58:35 AM »
I.... wonder if this thread can be archived so those of us who once posted stop seeing it in the "new responses" list?

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7566 on: July 15, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
I.... wonder if this thread can be archived so those of us who once posted stop seeing it in the "new responses" list?

The only ways I know to do that are to delete all your posts in the thread, or to switch to using the "Notify" function instead of the "New Responses" function.  I chose the latter.  Instructions in the link, if you want to try it.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/suggestion-for-new-rulefaq-to-optimize-use-of-forum/msg1864906/#msg1864906

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7567 on: July 16, 2018, 03:12:54 PM »
re flights:  I was doing 2-3 week stints in Europe for work years back and will admit to nearly blanking on the return a few times.  Never missed the flight but there were a few "oh shit I fly tomorrow" moments late in the evening.  You can just get into a rhythm of eating/working/sleeping where the day of the week does not matter.  Maybe it is like finals during university where dates and times dont really matter; all you care about is that the physics final is in 39 hours and calc final is 11 hours after that - I did forget my moms Bday a few times because of this :-(
But granted I have never come even close to doing this on personal travel...

ender - just stop clicking on the link.  I stopped following the "over heard at work" thread this way.  has worked fine.  but is maybe not the most elegant solution.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7568 on: July 16, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »
France to Australia - it is quite easy, to mix up as the calendar dates change as you fly.   If you think you are landing on "Friday", and that you therefore have to board one day before, then you end up missing your flight that left on "Wednesday".

I once booked the wrong greyhound bus for my DH.  He needed to get to work Monday.   Wanted to take the Saturday night bus, for the 10 hour trip home, clean up, and be ready for work monday morning.

I kept checking all the routes and finally booked him an express bus that left at 12:06am Saturday night.  Except, 12:06am Saturday actually happens on FRIDAY night, don't you know, and he missed it, and the Saturday night bus was sold out of seats all the way to the destination when he went to board just before midnight.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7569 on: July 16, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »
France to Australia - it is quite easy, to mix up as the calendar dates change as you fly.   If you think you are landing on "Friday", and that you therefore have to board one day before, then you end up missing your flight that left on "Wednesday".

I once booked the wrong greyhound bus for my DH.  He needed to get to work Monday.   Wanted to take the Saturday night bus, for the 10 hour trip home, clean up, and be ready for work monday morning.

I kept checking all the routes and finally booked him an express bus that left at 12:06am Saturday night.  Except, 12:06am Saturday actually happens on FRIDAY night, don't you know, and he missed it, and the Saturday night bus was sold out of seats all the way to the destination when he went to board just before midnight.

Gotta be careful with order of month/day when flying to other countries.  mm/dd/yy is common in the US, whereas dd/mm/yy is more common in other countries IME

it's not always clear on the web site, especially smaller airlines with terrible IT
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:31:16 PM by dragoncar »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7570 on: July 16, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
YYYY-MM-DD or GTFO

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #7571 on: July 16, 2018, 09:09:17 PM »
YYYY-MM-DD or GTFO

Definitely the best. I use this to sort computer files since it is the only way to get things to list in chronological order.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7572 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:44 PM »
YYYY-MM-DD or GTFO

Definitely the best. I use this to sort computer files since it is the only way to get things to list in chronological order.

Backend vs. UI developers

For files, yeah YYYY-MM-DD - Really long awesome description.egg

But for web queries?  Way to piss off your users.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7573 on: July 16, 2018, 10:48:13 PM »
YYYY-MM-DD or GTFO

Humans are the worst users. I'll quit before I'm forced to cater to those bastards.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7574 on: July 17, 2018, 05:47:43 AM »
YYYY-MM-DD or GTFO

Humans are the worst users. I'll quit before I'm forced to cater to those bastards.

Have had to resort to YYYY-MON-DD since dummies confuse YYYY-MM-DD with YYYY-DD-MM.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #7575 on: July 17, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
YYYY-MM-DD or GTFO
Relevant XKCD:

DD/MM/YYYY (or DD.MM.YYYY as is the default in Germany) is not good. MM/DD/YYYY is insanity. That is like saying the number 547 is to be understood as "5*10 + 4*1 + 7*100"

Also, "friday night" is not a concept that I understand since it is not well-defined. Every night is part of two days. So in my opinion it should be the night "from friday to saturday".

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7576 on: July 17, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »
Also, "friday night" is not a concept that I understand since it is not well-defined. Every night is part of two days. So in my opinion it should be the night "from friday to saturday".

So wouldn't "Friday night" refer to the portion of that night that takes place on Friday, as opposed to the portion that takes place on Saturday morning (or for that matter, the portion of Friday that takes place earlier in the day)?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7577 on: July 17, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »
"Hey bro, what day is it?"

"Year 2018, july the 17th"

"fuck off, wierdo"

"Does not compute, robot has no genitalia"

"fight me"

"don't make me sort you into ascending alphabetical order"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:22:30 PM by dragoncar »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7578 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »
DD/MM/YYYY (or DD.MM.YYYY as is the default in Germany) is not good. MM/DD/YYYY is insanity. That is like saying the number 547 is to be understood as "5*10 + 4*1 + 7*100"
Right, everyone knows the right way to say 547 is five hundred seven and forty.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7579 on: July 17, 2018, 10:09:18 PM »
Well, in French (French French at least, not Belgian French) 95 is « four-twenty fifteen » and other such fun things. :)

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #7580 on: July 18, 2018, 05:09:25 AM »
Well, in French (French French at least, not Belgian French) 95 is « four-twenty fifteen » and other such fun things. :)

We're indeed using the "ninety-five" (nonante-cinq) form over here.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7581 on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
Well, in French (French French at least, not Belgian French) 95 is « four-twenty fifteen » and other such fun things. :)

When did "quatre-vingts" die out?

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7582 on: July 18, 2018, 02:48:54 PM »
Well, in French (French French at least, not Belgian French) 95 is « four-twenty fifteen » and other such fun things. :)

quatre-vingt isn't used anymore? What's used for eighty then? Wow I'm getting old if my high school French is no longer up to date!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7583 on: July 18, 2018, 03:06:28 PM »

quatre-vingt isn't used anymore? What's used for eighty then? Wow I'm getting old if my high school French is no longer up to date!

As you might notice, the poster is Belgian-French

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7584 on: July 18, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »
As you might notice, the poster is Belgian-French

I did notice, actually; I just wasn't aware that Belgian-French differed from French-French. I was actually in both Belgium and France back in April and was able to get by for the most part with my mediocre high school French. I'm going to have to google the number differences now.

Sorry to have derailed...to get back on track here's a minor Overheard on Facebook:

My friend from high school who doesn't make the best financial choices and always has to buy STUFF posted this morning. She leaves for Sweden tomorrow (really hoping her parents paid for the trip as they usually do since she does not have the money, which is another matter entirely) and tagged me and another friend saying she is going to the ABBA museum and what did we want from the gift shop. (We loved ABBA in high school...). She knows I'm not into "stuff" and trying to minimize and be frugal, so my response was "just take a picture of yourself there for me". It's nice and thoughtful of her, but she is always going to be an over-consumer. :(

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7585 on: July 18, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »

Pointing out that quatre-vingt LITERALLY means four-twenty...  :)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7586 on: July 18, 2018, 07:52:38 PM »

Pointing out that quatre-vingt LITERALLY means four-twenty...  :)

It's why the French people are so happy and why they take such long vacations.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #7587 on: July 18, 2018, 09:16:53 PM »
Pretty much unrelated side comment: our house number is 420 and our next door neighbor smokes pot all the time. It can get annoying having to close my windows to keep my babies from breathing in secondhand smoke. He has a lot of time on his hands though because he is retired. :-)

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7588 on: July 19, 2018, 07:43:57 AM »
So I don't spend much time on Facebook anymore, and thus have not had anything to post in quite some time... but this gem rolled across my Facebook this morning.... it is pretty amazing.

Friend posts how she has spent the last 10 years digging out of the mountain of debt that she had gotten herself under at one point, now she is going to celebrate.  This makes sense to me, celebrate success right?

So I meander over to her profile to see if I could see what shenanigans she got up to.  A post that is labeled two hours later has her sitting in her brand new, financed, dodge ram 1500.  So to celebrate getting out of debt, she got into more debt on a clown car.

SMH

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7589 on: July 19, 2018, 08:45:50 AM »
Yeah but she put the old debt to rest, this is new debt. Entirely different! ;)

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #7590 on: July 19, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »
So I don't spend much time on Facebook anymore, and thus have not had anything to post in quite some time... but this gem rolled across my Facebook this morning.... it is pretty amazing.

Friend posts how she has spent the last 10 years digging out of the mountain of debt that she had gotten herself under at one point, now she is going to celebrate.  This makes sense to me, celebrate success right?

So I meander over to her profile to see if I could see what shenanigans she got up to.  A post that is labeled two hours later has her sitting in her brand new, financed, dodge ram 1500.  So to celebrate getting out of debt, she got into more debt on a clown car.

SMH

Oh Geeze.  It's really hard to believe someone would do that. Unless "digging out of the mountain of debt" means consolidating it and rolling over one vehicle loan to another.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7591 on: July 19, 2018, 09:33:40 AM »

SMH

Oh Geeze.  It's really hard to believe someone would do that. Unless "digging out of the mountain of debt" means consolidating it and rolling over one vehicle loan to another.

Periodically guys come in with a new truck and brag about how they had the car dealer sweating. How they wanted the new truck while trading the old truck that still isn’t paid off and keep their payments the same. I’ve tried to tell them the car dealer is more interested in financing the new vehicle to you to keep you in payments forever. This is met with resistance. Then I get the following excuses

Our 5 year old vehicle had 50k miles on it and we need something reliable

You’ll always have a car payment that’s just a fact of life

I wanted to trade the old vehicle off while it was still worth something

These are the same guys that get upset when they don’t get called in for overtime work. I’ve given up they can live paycheck to paycheck and complain the whole time they are doing it lol

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7592 on: July 19, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »

SMH

Periodically guys come in with a new truck and brag about how they had the car dealer sweating. How they wanted the new truck while trading the old truck that still isn’t paid off and keep their payments the same. I’ve tried to tell them the car dealer is more interested in financing the new vehicle to you to keep you in payments forever. This is met with resistance. Then I get the following excuses

These are the same guys that get upset when they don’t get called in for overtime work. I’ve given up they can live paycheck to paycheck and complain the whole time they are doing it lol

These are all ridiculous excuses of course, but that last one makes me short circuit. "But, it's not, you still... Math!"

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7593 on: July 19, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
My dear friend who is otherwise really smart got into credit card debt. He and his wife started using YNAB and wiped it out by sticking to an budget. I was really proud of them and hoping that once it was gone they would then start saving that extra monthly cash flow.
Nope, he said they are now spending it all on a leased electric vehicle. ~sigh~
He has also mentioned he would like to upgrade their housing from the 2/2 condo they currently have as the kids get bigger. I mentioned something casual about using the next several years to save up for a down payment and he admitted that they don’t do that, their plan was to just hope money appeared somehow.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7594 on: July 19, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
So wishing is a valid adult strategy? I had no idea...

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7595 on: July 19, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »

Well, I don't waste my wishes on silly stuff I can actually get myself. I use my wishes for things like super powers.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7596 on: July 19, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »
For me it is. Every night at bedtime I cross my fingers and wish for a peaceful night’s sleep with no kiddos waking up and screaming. :)

Admittedly, I do a lot less wishing when it comes to my finances.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7597 on: July 19, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »

SMH

These are all ridiculous excuses of course, but that last one makes me short circuit. "But, it's not, you still... Math!"

That one is my favorite too!! As I said before these guys beg and plead for overtime. Then when they actually get some they complain cause it’s “taxed at a higher rate”. I tried dispelling that myth once... never again lol

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #7598 on: July 19, 2018, 10:18:10 PM »

SMH

That one is my favorite too!! As I said before these guys beg and plead for overtime. Then when they actually get some they complain cause it’s “taxed at a higher rate”. I tried dispelling that myth once... never again lol

If your profile didn't say KS, i'd swear we were coworkers. I hear that all the time about the overtime. Killing themselves for it and doing nothing of consequence with it. Just new cars, cruises, expensive trips to mediocre parts of the world where they "live large" on the resort, and stupid club style events with coworkers with dumb dj names, for people who are way too old for that shit.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7599 on: July 20, 2018, 07:27:55 AM »

Ya, I doubt that, I saw these labels over 40 years ago in a hunting lodge type building.
 I think PC thinking has gone too far when these labels need to be explained!
Accepting different is fine, but you should still know the anatomical difference between
the common man and woman.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!