Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082444 times)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8550 on: July 03, 2021, 08:52:39 AM »
If this isn't allowed, please delete.

I see this as the online version of "Not to be rude, but..." conversation starter that everyone damn well knows means that the perpetrator is specifically trying to be rude.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8551 on: July 04, 2021, 05:46:13 AM »
Seen on my town's "Hip" page:

Don't use the Wash n Roll. They ripped me off for 80.00. Tried to get it back and they would only give me credit. I explained that I had a car accident and didn't have a car to use it on. I also explained I live on a very small pension. Very cold hearted people. Please don't give them your money.

Reading through the comments, the OP, who is actually named Karen, signed up for a monthly plan because the first month was free. The plan would be auto-renewed monthly for $40/month. Karen wrecks her car and doesn't remember to cancel the membership in June or July, then gets mad at the car wash for not refunding her the money.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8552 on: July 05, 2021, 01:40:42 AM »

This drives me nuts on Facebook groups. Like if you have posted something that isn't allowed but not given your specific permission, the mods won't delete it. I have been a mod. I zapped posts appropriately whether I was "allowed" by the poster or not.

They are just trying to tell you they aren't an ass, they're just not sure of the rules.

They are admitting don’t care about the rules and are too lazy to look at the sticky post. IMHO it marks them as an ass.

Similarly, those posts on social media (and here!) where the op clearly hasn’t googled first. Uuuurggh.

And the posts where the subject line doesn’t give you any context. Uuurgh.

They might very well be an ass.  But they are saying they're not trying to be.  There's a difference between careless and malicious assiness in my book.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8553 on: July 05, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »

This drives me nuts on Facebook groups. Like if you have posted something that isn't allowed but not given your specific permission, the mods won't delete it. I have been a mod. I zapped posts appropriately whether I was "allowed" by the poster or not.

They are just trying to tell you they aren't an ass, they're just not sure of the rules.

They are admitting don’t care about the rules and are too lazy to look at the sticky post. IMHO it marks them as an ass.

Similarly, those posts on social media (and here!) where the op clearly hasn’t googled first. Uuuurggh.

And the posts where the subject line doesn’t give you any context. Uuurgh.

They might very well be an ass.  But they are saying they're not trying to be.  There's a difference between careless and malicious assiness in my book.

Maybe but I have seen people push careless so far as to warrant the elimination of any benefit of the doubt and it become proper to consider it malicious* even if they had no bad intentions.

malicious* maybe not technically malicious then at least hostel. 

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #8554 on: July 05, 2021, 10:03:08 AM »
Seen on my town's "Hip" page:

Don't use the Wash n Roll. They ripped me off for 80.00. Tried to get it back and they would only give me credit. I explained that I had a car accident and didn't have a car to use it on. I also explained I live on a very small pension. Very cold hearted people. Please don't give them your money.

Reading through the comments, the OP, who is actually named Karen, signed up for a monthly plan because the first month was free. The plan would be auto-renewed monthly for $40/month. Karen wrecks her car and doesn't remember to cancel the membership in June or July, then gets mad at the car wash for not refunding her the money.

Oh my, that reminds me of a person I know who drives a fancy car but is very upside down in it.  It is currently one of the things keeping her from retirement (she is 66).  She had a long time boyfriend who sadly died of a brain tumor and they bought the car together when he was still living.  They knew he had the tumor when they got the car and so they bought the expensive warranty that would pay it off completely if he died, rolling that warranty cost into the loan. 

Now she is pissed and cries poor because he died and the warranty company wouldn't pay off the car.  But.... fine print says you must survive at least 6 months after buying the car for the death benefit to pay off (just like so many no-medical-exam insurance policies have a waiting period to prevent hospice patients rolling in for payouts). 

It could be argued that they were not ethical to go down to a car lot with a brain tumor and buy a pay off benefit, but obviously all insurers account for this in their actuarial tables when they set the high price and delay period for these policies.  Essentially this lady took a gamble and lost, but it bothers me that she acts like she got ripped off.  I am sure the salesman didn't highlight the delay period but it feels like they went in planning to get a free car knowing he was terminal. 

It's a sad deal with bad decisions in the midst of grief, one she is paying for and stuck with.     

HamsterStache

• Stubble
« Reply #8555 on: September 26, 2021, 10:15:49 AM »
It’s like all the people I see asking “what would happen if I just don’t pay what I owe? A big company shouldn’t care, right?”

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8556 on: September 26, 2021, 05:42:13 PM »

I mentioned this exact thing months ago on the "phrases I hate" thread. Mods exist. If your post isn't allowed, don't worry, it'll disappear with or without your disclaimer.  I try not to read too much into the attitude of the poster other than wanting to shout out "here's your sign."

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8557 on: October 01, 2021, 10:03:23 AM »
Female friend of mine recently posted close to 100 pictures of her 'engagement shoot'. That's right, they hired a professional photographer and restaged the actual process of engagement (the entire evening), then added some cheese fake oh-gosh-look-at-how-much-in-love-we-are-strolling-through-that-garden-holding-a-lantern pictures.

I didn't even know there was such as thing as an engagement shoot. What's next, first-date-shoots?
Are you sure it was reenacted?  I'm not condoning it either way, but a photographer friend of mine on facebook offers a service where she will shoot the actual proposal (or other surprise moments like reunions etc.)  I assume the proposer has to be on top of the arrangement and timing.
My girlfriend's a photographer, and she did this for someone once.  It was adorable.  They of course did real photos together right after.  I think she charged something like $80 for the whole "shoot".  She loved doing it. 

As a photographer, she does get frustrated when she sees lousy wedding photos that she knows the people paid way too much for.  She tends to do weddings for about $500~1000, which is apparently super-low-budget one-day wedding photography.  She knows her photos are as good as the $10k photographer, and better than the $5k photographer.  It's all marketing and the bullshit perception that you're paying more, so therefore it's better.  She always finds her most polite clients are the ones that are paying the most.  The ones that she charges less respect her less.  It's an odd disconnect.

If you show that you value your own work, most of the people will also value it. My boss is pretty bad at charging clients, which annoys me. Because of that she gets a lot of unnecessary questions from clients because they know she will not bill them. We have a client that was sending a lot of emails to me and in one instance he didn’t want to contact a technical consultant, that cost less than half of my cost. I told him that it would also cost him when we tried to solve the problem that was not our expertise. After that, the amount of email has decreased by 90 %.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8558 on: October 04, 2021, 01:14:16 AM »
As a photographer, she does get frustrated when she sees lousy wedding photos that she knows the people paid way too much for.  She tends to do weddings for about $500~1000, which is apparently super-low-budget one-day wedding photography.  She knows her photos are as good as the $10k photographer, and better than the $5k photographer.  It's all marketing and the bullshit perception that you're paying more, so therefore it's better.  She always finds her most polite clients are the ones that are paying the most.  The ones that she charges less respect her less.  It's an odd disconnect.

It sounds like it's time for her to increase her prices.  Discounts back to the old level can always be given if there is a reason.  :)

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8559 on: November 09, 2021, 07:32:32 AM »
This wasn't on Facebook but an internet forum - still social media, I suppose. On a forum dedicated to a particular car model, someone posted a GoFundMe to pay for their 200k in student loans they took out to get their MD and help cover the 4k/mo payments. No mention of unemployment or health issues or any other justification for the GFM beyond complaining about the cost.

People were gently (for that crowd) roasting the OP until someone dug up a "build thread" the OP started that detailed at least 50k in parts alone that they spent on their car plus probably 10k in garage gear. Then the napalm dropped. Unfortunately, the OP complained to the mods and got the thread deleted before it really got some legs.

Apparently adulting is hard. Or just having some sense of financial awareness. From what I see posted here, I'm a bit of an outlier in the MMM world because I do enjoy owning/working on nice cars (and budget accordingly), but I can't even fathom blowing that much money while having a 200k student loan over my head. Then having the nerve to try getting other people to cover the loan payments.

There've been quite a few big budget build threads I've watched over the years on various forums where I'm drooling over the intricate machining and in awe of the costs - both in parts and in labor from these higher-end tuner shops. I wonder just how many of those builds are in the same boat where they are basically financed to the hilt either directly with a CC or something or indirectly like this thread where they just aren't paying off another loan. Crazy.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8560 on: November 09, 2021, 11:52:39 AM »
It’s like all the people I see asking “what would happen if I just don’t pay what I owe? A big company shouldn’t care, right?”

That's complicated, but if it was Wells Fargo who has been fined billions of dollars for illegally fleecing consumers, I'd be fine with it. Turnabout is after all fair play.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8561 on: November 09, 2021, 12:30:04 PM »

It sounds like it's time for her to increase her prices.  Discounts back to the old level can always be given if there is a reason.  :)

I totally get that - my wife tried giving away hostas for years when she would split them in the spring. Was ever only able to get rid of 3 or 4 each year. She finally started asking $5 each for them and couldn't keep up with demand. Why are things better because you pay more? I never did get it...

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8562 on: November 11, 2021, 11:03:15 PM »

I totally get that - my wife tried giving away hostas for years when she would split them in the spring. Was ever only able to get rid of 3 or 4 each year. She finally started asking $5 each for them and couldn't keep up with demand. Why are things better because you pay more? I never did get it...

That reminds me of a post where somebody said they wanted to get rid of an old but working refrigerator and put it out at the end of their driveway with a “free, works” sign on it.  It sat there for a week and nobody took it, so they put a sign on it that said “$400, works, pay at house”.  It was stolen within 30 min

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8563 on: November 12, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »

That reminds me of a post where somebody said they wanted to get rid of an old but working refrigerator and put it out at the end of their driveway with a “free, works” sign on it.  It sat there for a week and nobody took it, so they put a sign on it that said “$400, works, pay at house”.  It was stolen within 30 min

Hah, yes! I had a similar experience. My sister bought a new tv, the old one was smoking when you turned it on (this was a long time ago).
I packed the old tv in the new tv box and put it in the back of my truck (you could drop off for free at a tv repair shop)
I stopped at an auto parts store and was in and out in five minutes, tv was gone! Hooray.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8564 on: November 12, 2021, 11:26:41 AM »

Hah, yes! I had a similar experience. My sister bought a new tv, the old one was smoking when you turned it on (this was a long time ago).
I packed the old tv in the new tv box and put it in the back of my truck (you could drop off for free at a tv repair shop)
I stopped at an auto parts store and was in and out in five minutes, tv was gone! Hooray.

I mean that’s funny and all but I’ll be the downer and say I don’t think the thief properly recycled it at the repair shop and likely dumped it once they realized it was broken

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8565 on: December 03, 2021, 09:09:09 AM »
I remember when Facebook was only us cool and good looking college kids. Then they let the old and ugly in and down it went. Ugh, why do adults have to ruin everything?

I remember when the cool kids were using friendster and myspace . . . before this weird upstart facebook came along.  :P

Last week I got an invite from a new social network website called MeWe. Nope.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8566 on: December 03, 2021, 10:52:44 AM »
I remember when Facebook was only us cool and good looking college kids. Then they let the old and ugly in and down it went. Ugh, why do adults have to ruin everything?

I remember when the cool kids were using friendster and myspace . . . before this weird upstart facebook came along.  :P

Last week I got an invite from a new social network website called MeWe. Nope.

Social networking is so last decade, or the decade before.

RobertFromTX

• Stubble
« Reply #8567 on: December 07, 2021, 07:12:59 PM »
Story from a college-related message board I frequent.

A young guy I work with went and traded his truck in this weekend for a new one. Traded a 2018 4wd Chevy 1500 for a new 2021 4wd Chevy 1500 with a duramax.
The truck he traded had some damage from off-roading. A few dents/dings/scratches. They quoted him $6k for the repairs and ended up giving him $21k in trade. He was ecstatic about it, even though he owed $25k.
New truck was right at $60k. But he's pretty young without much credit. No problem, right? We'll just give you 9.5% for 84 months at $850/month. I almost freakin choked when he told me that. He actually thinks he got a good deal!!!
What the hell is wrong with people? How can someone get through life thinking that they are making out like a bandit and in reality they are getting bent over and being run in dry??? I just don't get it. And of course the damn banks giving the loans are the other problem. Pure insanity.
Sorry for my rant.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8568 on: December 07, 2021, 07:43:00 PM »

A young guy I work with went and traded his truck in this weekend for a new one. Traded a 2018 4wd Chevy 1500 for a new 2021 4wd Chevy 1500 with a duramax.
The truck he traded had some damage from off-roading. A few dents/dings/scratches. They quoted him $6k for the repairs and ended up giving him $21k in trade. He was ecstatic about it, even though he owed $25k.
New truck was right at $60k. But he's pretty young without much credit. No problem, right? We'll just give you 9.5% for 84 months at $850/month. I almost freakin choked when he told me that. He actually thinks he got a good deal!!!
What the hell is wrong with people? How can someone get through life thinking that they are making out like a bandit and in reality they are getting bent over and being run in dry??? I just don't get it. And of course the damn banks giving the loans are the other problem. Pure insanity.
Sorry for my rant.

By deciding in k-12 that they are too cool to learn math or just being too lazy to learn.   That's how.

There's no shortage of people like that in America.  Our schools are chock full of them and have been for generations.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8569 on: December 07, 2021, 10:18:04 PM »

Sorry for my rant.

By deciding in k-12 that they are too cool to learn math or just being too lazy to learn.   That's how.

There's no shortage of people like that in America.  Our schools are chock full of them and have been for generations.

While you are completely correct, there's also just something about cars that just turns people's brains off.

I knew a guy in the Army who got a "great deal" from a friend that sold him a used Mitsubishi Eclipse for $50K.  I forget the interest rate he was paying on it, but it was at least double digits.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8570 on: December 07, 2021, 10:24:02 PM »

Sorry for my rant.

While you are completely correct, there's also just something about cars that just turns people's brains off.

I knew a guy in the Army who got a "great deal" from a friend that sold him a used Mitsubishi Eclipse for $50K.  I forget the interest rate he was paying on it, but it was at least double digits.
Are you sure it was an Eclipse and not something like an Evo? An Eclipse is like $25k new. The Evo (Lancer Evolution) is popular with "car guys" and could feasibly be $50k used if modded.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #8571 on: December 07, 2021, 11:47:52 PM »
Old friend on FB was trying to sell the frame for their king-size bed since it no longer fits in their new location. Said friend is an unmarried individual, no relationship. King-size bed. Millennial, occasionally complains about adulting and money. King. Size. Bed.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8572 on: December 08, 2021, 04:25:06 AM »
Old friend on FB was trying to sell the frame for their king-size bed since it no longer fits in their new location. Said friend is an unmarried individual, no relationship. King-size bed. Millennial, occasionally complains about adulting and money. King. Size. Bed.

Are they tall? Or dating? I also know a lot of millennials whose parents gifted them a bed when they moved out.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #8573 on: December 08, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »

Are they tall? Or dating? I also know a lot of millennials whose parents gifted them a bed when they moved out.

Not dating, and holding religious views that wouldn't lead me to believe they'd be sharing it. They are somewhat short, but also somewhat large, which is where I think some of the rationale comes from, but goodness, not THAT large :) As for the gifting, that's not a bad consideration, but it sounds like they bought the frame, as they're trying to recoup the money they spent on that, so I'd suspect they probably bought the bed, too. And I don't wish to deny people their luxuries, but it's definitely a head-scratcher at the least. They've been known to buy some other very expensive items.

I try not to beat up too harshly on people, though, I just can't get over knowing that one of my very single old friends has a king size bed :D

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8574 on: December 08, 2021, 09:37:23 AM »

Not dating, and holding religious views that wouldn't lead me to believe they'd be sharing it. They are somewhat short, but also somewhat large, which is where I think some of the rationale comes from, but goodness, not THAT large :) As for the gifting, that's not a bad consideration, but it sounds like they bought the frame, as they're trying to recoup the money they spent on that, so I'd suspect they probably bought the bed, too. And I don't wish to deny people their luxuries, but it's definitely a head-scratcher at the least. They've been known to buy some other very expensive items.

I try not to beat up too harshly on people, though, I just can't get over knowing that one of my very single old friends has a king size bed :D

I mean, maybe they bought it at a time when they aspired to get married?

My now-husband decided to splash out a queen instead of a double for his personal use after his divorce in case he met someone, which, uh, obviously he did. (Glad he didn't go for a king. It would have fit in his fancy bachelor pad but we can barely wedge the queen and 2 night stands into our cozy little basement master.)

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8575 on: December 08, 2021, 02:49:49 PM »

My now-husband decided to splash out a queen instead of a double for his personal use after his divorce in case he met someone, which, uh, obviously he did. (Glad he didn't go for a king. It would have fit in his fancy bachelor pad but we can barely wedge the queen and 2 night stands into our cozy little basement master.)

I have a Queen size bed and I would say it is a fairly normal size for someone living alone. I would have bought a king size but the bedroom in my apartment was fairly small. King size is the standard size for a double bed here.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8576 on: December 08, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »

I started dating my DH in 1992 and he had a full sized bed.  In 1994 he bought a queen, because full is just too small.

Well, we've replaced the mattress by now (obv), but we still have that frame, and in our bedroom it fits a night stand and dresser, but barely.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8577 on: December 08, 2021, 11:57:40 PM »

I have a Queen size bed and I would say it is a fairly normal size for someone living alone. I would have bought a king size but the bedroom in my apartment was fairly small. King size is the standard size for a double bed here.
Where do you live?

It's probably because I'm a young coastal urban punk, but to me, king mattress is synonymous with chain hotel room, not something people normally sleep on at home.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #8578 on: December 09, 2021, 04:59:01 AM »
I keep humming a John Denver song reading about these beds

It was nine feet high and six feet wide…

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8579 on: December 09, 2021, 06:36:39 AM »

Where do you live?

It's probably because I'm a young coastal urban punk, but to me, king mattress is synonymous with chain hotel room, not something people normally sleep on at home.

My son in law is tall.  He needs the king size bed he and my DD bought when they got married, a queen was too short.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8580 on: December 09, 2021, 07:48:42 AM »
My son in law is tall.  He needs the king size bed he and my DD bought when they got married, a queen was too short.
That must be a California King, then, because a normal king-size mattress (80"x80") is the same height as a queen (80"x60").

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8581 on: December 09, 2021, 07:56:39 AM »
That must be a California King, then, because a normal king-size mattress (80"x80") is the same height as a queen (80"x60").

But you can be a bit cross wise without kicking your partner.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8582 on: December 09, 2021, 08:56:19 AM »

Why are beds so tiny in the US? It's not like our homes are so big here in urban western Europe, but mattresses are commonly available in 160, 180 and 200 x 220 and the 200x220 is by far the most common option. I had a 200 x 220 bed when I lived alone, because, why not? Big beds are nice. The bed eventually got damaged and we replaced it with 180 x 220 because that's what we were able to get for free. But should we ever have to buy another one we'll definitely go for a 200x220 again. Our bedroom is like 11 M2 but that size is certainly not too big for the room.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8583 on: December 09, 2021, 09:05:38 AM »

Why are beds so tiny in the US? It's not like our homes are so big here in urban western Europe, but mattresses are commonly available in 160, 180 and 200 x 220 and the 200x220 is by far the most common option. I had a 200 x 220 bed when I lived alone, because, why not? Big beds are nice. The bed eventually got damaged and we replaced it with 180 x 220 because that's what we were able to get for free. But should we ever have to buy another one we'll definitely go for a 200x220 again. Our bedroom is like 11 M2 but that size is certainly not too big for the room.
Interesting--I had never thought to compare US to European mattress sizes.  Maybe they're longer over there to better accommodate Nordic customers?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8584 on: December 09, 2021, 09:10:48 AM »
Are we sure this doesn't vary by country in Europe? In Spain and the parts of France I visited, a US full size was pretty standard for two people. Certainly none of the people I knew had rooms that would accommodate a king size

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8585 on: December 09, 2021, 09:15:55 AM »
I once dated a girl with vast tracts of mattress

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8586 on: December 09, 2021, 09:46:24 AM »
Are we sure this doesn't vary by country in Europe? In Spain and the parts of France I visited, a US full size was pretty standard for two people. Certainly none of the people I knew had rooms that would accommodate a king size

British beds are (generally) nowhere near that big either. It would seem Imma lives in the land of giant beds.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8587 on: December 09, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »

I have to stand corrected about the length. The sheet size I buy is 220 long but apparantly my bed is only 200 :) I just measured. It's 160 x 200 and no one would consider that a big bed. Our previous bed was much taller but now I'm not sure what size. Ikea says their most sold size is 180 x 200, and if you buy Ikea you probably have a small budget and a small house.

I'm sure it does vary country by country, I'm sure beds are longer in western and northern Europe since we are on average taller than southern Europeans. And yes, the smallest bedrooms/ homes I have personally encountered have been in the UK. But even in the UK I have never encountered a bed only 185 cm long. And I've slept in many private homes in the UK, not just in hotels.

A US full size according to google is 54" x 74" - 137 cm x 187 cm and that just seems really, really tiny to me. I have never personally encountered a bed shorter than 200 cm although I'm sure they used to exist at some point in history. I would say 200 cm (79") is a short bed and 220 cm (87") is a long bed. Beds 140cm wide do certainly exist here, we would consider it a "1,5". Fine for a single person who occasionally shares their bed with someone, or a student. Unless you lived in a studio apartment or something you wouldn't buy that size of bed if you were a couple sharing a bed every night.

I'm sure in some parts of Europe homes are smaller than in other parts, but I feel like I probably already live in a place with smaller homes/rooms than average. How much space does one need in a bedroom? Maybe 50 cm on three sides of the bed and the headboard to the wall? I feel that in many countries in Europe, at least in the homes I've been in, that would not be an unusually large size for the master bedroom. My own bedroom as I said is 11m2 and even though we have a 160 cm wide bed now, the bigger bed fit in comfortably.

I suppose if you're looking at the Hollywood film bedroom interior where there's a desk and a table and a carpet and a couple of chests of drawers, no, a bigger bed and all that furniture wouldn't fit in a typical European bedroom. Most people just have a bed, maybe two small sidetables. But I've always assumed that regular Americans don't have those type of ballrooms for bedrooms either. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8588 on: December 09, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »
Imma, I have a US sized double bed (which I have gotten odd looks for as I'm not a child), a bedside table, 1 long dresser, 1 short dresser and a cheap 2 drawer unit for overflow in my bedroom. Having in-season clothing storage in a different room is not common. Many people think I should have a queen size bed, but I like my bedroom set.

My bedroom is huge, but that's just because it's how the space is. I'm perfectly ok with basically 12x10ft.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8589 on: December 09, 2021, 11:05:17 AM »
Imma, I have a US sized double bed (which I have gotten odd looks for as I'm not a child), a bedside table, 1 long dresser, 1 short dresser and a cheap 2 drawer unit for overflow in my bedroom. Having in-season clothing storage in a different room is not common. Many people think I should have a queen size bed, but I like my bedroom set.

My bedroom is huge, but that's just because it's how the space is. I'm perfectly ok with basically 12x10ft.

What's most common in my country is to either have a narrow, built-in cupboard along one wall (or on either side of the bed, or under the sloped ceiling) or to convert the smallest bedroom of the house into a room with cupboards along all walls and use that to store everyone's clothing and belongings. That's only an option if you have enough bedrooms of course. It's not uncommon here at all to have one big cupboard for most of the clothes in the household. I remember in my childhood, my siblings room contained a large cupboard that contained all the clothing for all the kids and my dad's stuff too. My mum's clothes were in the attic. They had a bigger bed and couldn't fit in storage for clothing in their bedroom.

We live in an old home so we are lucky, we have a built-in dedicated closet on the landing that stores all of our clothing and more. We don't have much so that helps. Out of season clothing is stored under our bed.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8590 on: December 09, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »

What's most common in my country is to either have a narrow, built-in cupboard along one wall (or on either side of the bed, or under the sloped ceiling) or to convert the smallest bedroom of the house into a room with cupboards along all walls and use that to store everyone's clothing and belongings. That's only an option if you have enough bedrooms of course. It's not uncommon here at all to have one big cupboard for most of the clothes in the household. I remember in my childhood, my siblings room contained a large cupboard that contained all the clothing for all the kids and my dad's stuff too. My mum's clothes were in the attic. They had a bigger bed and couldn't fit in storage for clothing in their bedroom.

We live in an old home so we are lucky, we have a built-in dedicated closet on the landing that stores all of our clothing and more. We don't have much so that helps. Out of season clothing is stored under our bed.
That sounds way better than our house - we have closets that are actually too big relative to the opening to be convenient, and with extra walls wind up taking more space to boot than what you're describing. So I'm adding that to the "maybe someday but probably never" renovation list. Our house is going to be absolutely fantastic in 30 years once we knock out most of that stuff.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8591 on: December 09, 2021, 03:30:48 PM »

That sounds way better than our house - we have closets that are actually too big relative to the opening to be convenient, and with extra walls wind up taking more space to boot than what you're describing. So I'm adding that to the "maybe someday but probably never" renovation list. Our house is going to be absolutely fantastic in 30 years once we knock out most of that stuff.

Fascinating the cultural differences around clothes storage. All mine is in my bedroom - in the dressers, in the closet, or I have a couple plastic bins for off season storage that fit under the dressers. 

My renovation list is more foundational. Complete the plumbing update, remove all the concrete from the outside & dig and replace some plumbing & add drainage & figure out what concrete I want to put back in; gut and redo the bathroom upstairs. Pull off the siding, fix whatever needs fixed in the wall, and rebuild so I have some insulation. If I get really wild and crazy it might be cool to knock down the utility room and rebuild it so that its actually warm in winter. Or figure out how to make it so that the floor isn't ice cold in winter (looking at you crawl space). You know, all the stuff that costs $$$$$.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8592 on: December 10, 2021, 01:02:24 AM »
I'm sure it does vary country by country, I'm sure beds are longer in western and northern Europe since we are on average taller than southern Europeans. And yes, the smallest bedrooms/ homes I have personally encountered have been in the UK. But even in the UK I have never encountered a bed only 185 cm long. And I've slept in many private homes in the UK, not just in hotels.

A US full size according to google is 54" x 74" - 137 cm x 187 cm and that just seems really, really tiny to me. I have never personally encountered a bed shorter than 200 cm although I'm sure they used to exist at some point in history. I would say 200 cm (79") is a short bed and 220 cm (87") is a long bed. Beds 140cm wide do certainly exist here, we would consider it a "1,5". Fine for a single person who occasionally shares their bed with someone, or a student. Unless you lived in a studio apartment or something you wouldn't buy that size of bed if you were a couple sharing a bed every night.

According to this and this a UK double is in fact one inch longer than a US double. I learned something today!

I prefer to sleep on a US Queen but I'm only 5'11" tall so I don't mind sleeping on a double at all.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8593 on: December 10, 2021, 09:51:04 AM »

Where do you live?

In Sweden.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8594 on: December 10, 2021, 10:01:51 AM »

I have to stand corrected about the length. The sheet size I buy is 220 long but apparantly my bed is only 200 :) I just measured. It's 160 x 200 and no one would consider that a big bed. Our previous bed was much taller but now I'm not sure what size. Ikea says their most sold size is 180 x 200, and if you buy Ikea you probably have a small budget and a small house.

I'm sure in some parts of Europe homes are smaller than in other parts, but I feel like I probably already live in a place with smaller homes/rooms than average. How much space does one need in a bedroom? Maybe 50 cm on three sides of the bed and the headboard to the wall? I feel that in many countries in Europe, at least in the homes I've been in, that would not be an unusually large size for the master bedroom. My own bedroom as I said is 11m2 and even though we have a 160 cm wide bed now, the bigger bed fit in comfortably.

I suppose if you're looking at the Hollywood film bedroom interior where there's a desk and a table and a carpet and a couple of chests of drawers, no, a bigger bed and all that furniture wouldn't fit in a typical European bedroom. Most people just have a bed, maybe two small sidetables. But I've always assumed that regular Americans don't have those type of ballrooms for bedrooms either.

I actually think the beds are shorter in southern Europe as well as in US and Canada. It seems like I always end up sleeping with my feets outside the bed or across the whole bed. And I am only 170 cm.

I don’t have drawers. This one has built in closets as well as wardrobes. Older apartments and houses have built in closets. Newer one often have a wall with wardrobes but I have never seen the bedrooms sets that are popular in american movies.

Chraurelius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8595 on: December 13, 2021, 01:31:57 PM »
To be fair, people from the Netherlands, like Imma, are the tallest people in the world.  On average, of course.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #8596 on: December 21, 2021, 04:26:48 AM »
True, I'm from the North of the Netherlands, female, 6', and average length for that part of the country :) Here in Belgium, it's easy for clothes shopping, because nothing fits, so I don't even have to bother :). Clothes shopping is  limited to the week(end)s we spend at my parents' during the year.
When I moved to Belgium 14 years ago and went to IKEA for our new bed, the largest they sold was 200cm, where in NL it was 220cm. I think IKEA Belgium now has 1 or 2 models that sell the longer length. I would love a longer mattress where my toes don't touch the end of the mattress when I lie on my stomach!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8597 on: December 24, 2021, 12:07:32 AM »
One of the neighborhood moms posted a message asking where she could find smart watches for sale that she could buy today (today is Christmas Eve) as she needed the gift tomorrow for her son. A bunch of other moms replied with various store locations around the city where the watches are not sold out. The OP’s son is ~ 9 years old. The watches that were recommended cost around $600. I can’t fathom having my kid wearing the equivalent of a local person’s monthly salary on her wrist.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8598 on: December 24, 2021, 06:25:53 AM »
One of my friends posts a photo of a gas station in CA showing nearly $5 and says its only half that in New Mexico. So far so good. This starts an inflation discussion where someone remarks paying $14 for a Wendys sandwich and $34 for an 8 piece of KFC and why they should all leave CA. I don't live in the US right now so my experiences are different, but my first thought was "maybe you should stop eating fast food."

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8599 on: December 24, 2021, 07:17:53 AM »
One of my friends posts a photo of a gas station in CA showing nearly $5 and says its only half that in New Mexico. So far so good. This starts an inflation discussion where someone remarks paying $14 for a Wendys sandwich and $34 for an 8 piece of KFC and why they should all leave CA. I don't live in the US right now so my experiences are different, but my first thought was "maybe you should stop eating fast food."
Lol. We're road tripping (by car this time, not RV) in CA right now. When we stopped at our favorite last-one-in-NorCal Costco, we passed a Chevron where gas was 5.29. Costco was only a couple of blocks further. Their price was 4.16! Of course, there was no line at Chevron, lol. We were thrilled with the difference. About ten miles down the road, there were two truck stops featuring gas at 3.99. Oof. Gas  prices here are all over the place, which is nuts.

We always pack a cooler. When the weather got really nasty five hours in, we decided to burn some about-to-expire points and stop at a hotel. I used the room's microwave to make dinner. We noshed from the cooler again on day two. When we arrived at our destination, the previously home-cooked and frozen solid manicotti was thawed enough to make fixing dinner a breeze. I have no idea what fast food costs, but those prices sound crazy!