Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081967 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #7100 on: January 19, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
Beautiful dog!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7101 on: January 19, 2018, 01:20:43 PM »

coldestcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7102 on: January 19, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »
oops this shouldve been in the overheard at work..
the thing thats been annoying me lately on fb is a lot of the frugal groups ive been looking at have very anti-mustachian questions popping up. I feel like to get on these forums you would have read some amount of the articles and gotten the theme of the site. This is not the case for fb groups I guess, because people are asking how to fund many "necessary" things that I wouldnt call necessary.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:00:57 PM by coldestcat »

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7103 on: January 19, 2018, 08:33:46 PM »
I joined a group on Facebook called "Minimalist mom". OK, by now I really get it that there are enormous differences in perceptions of space between the US and Europe but still I really can't help not chuckle reading all these discussions by MINIMALIST moms who think that living in less than 2000 square feet borders on impossible and requires extreme sacrifice.
Meanwhile only about 5% of all houses advertised for sale here where I am have more than that since 2000 sq feet and those all fairly rural, in the city this is unheard of.

I think it's a bit silly in the whole minimalist vibe, other than that I completely get it. I come from a place where 500 square feet is supposedly perfectly fine for a family of 4-5, and I could not do it now that I got used to a slightly better standard. It's funny (or sad) how primed humans get by what they know best.

But to insist you're a minimalist but require 3000 square feet of space for all your stuff, what!?

I joined the same one recently and found the same. Another one called "minimalist mom advanced" is better, however.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7104 on: January 22, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
I joined a group on Facebook called "Minimalist mom". OK, by now I really get it that there are enormous differences in perceptions of space between the US and Europe but still I really can't help not chuckle reading all these discussions by MINIMALIST moms who think that living in less than 2000 square feet borders on impossible and requires extreme sacrifice.
Meanwhile only about 5% of all houses advertised for sale here where I am have more than that since 2000 sq feet and those all fairly rural, in the city this is unheard of.

I think it's a bit silly in the whole minimalist vibe, other than that I completely get it. I come from a place where 500 square feet is supposedly perfectly fine for a family of 4-5, and I could not do it now that I got used to a slightly better standard. It's funny (or sad) how primed humans get by what they know best.

But to insist you're a minimalist but require 3000 square feet of space for all your stuff, what!?

I joined the same one recently and found the same. Another one called "minimalist mom advanced" is better, however.

I just came here to post about something I saw on the same group. Someone asked what people thought about 401ks, and there are people chiming in about it isn't worth it because the government will appropriate everyone's savings and it's better to just be a prepper (I'm paraphrasing). WTF? Perhaps I should consider the other group that MBot recommended. The "minimalism" in that group is such a joke; it's more people looking for interior decorating recommendations.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7105 on: January 22, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »
the thing thats been annoying me lately on fb is a lot of the frugal groups ive been looking at have very anti-mustachian questions popping up. I feel like to get on these forums you would have read some amount of the articles and gotten the theme of the site. This is not the case for fb groups I guess, because people are asking how to fund many "necessary" things that I wouldnt call necessary.

And that is 50% of why I don't follow any of the FB groups. The other 50% is because there was a string of questions asking how to do something that is actually illegal/generally considered unethical/actually going to cause harm to someone, and there were multiple people who were ok with it. And they got really mad at me when I pointed it out. So I ditched them. I won't be part of that.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7106 on: January 22, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »

And that is 50% of why I don't follow any of the FB groups. The other 50% is because there was a string of questions asking how to do something that is actually illegal/generally considered unethical/actually going to cause harm to someone, and there were multiple people who were ok with it. And they got really mad at me when I pointed it out. So I ditched them. I won't be part of that.
I've decided I won't be part of Facebook at all: any organisation so unrepentant about accepting payment in roubles for adverts that try to subvert democratic elections is not an organisation I'm prepared to put my name to in any way, shape or form.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7107 on: January 22, 2018, 03:00:38 PM »

I've decided I won't be part of Facebook at all: any organisation so unrepentant about accepting payment in roubles for adverts that try to subvert democratic elections is not an organisation I'm prepared to put my name to in any way, shape or form.
I quit FB ~4 years back, cold turkey. FB was using my photos in product/services ads. Multiple times. Many friends and family let me know, and then I saw my pics in ads targeted to me. I was tired of their constant dicking of privacy policies which would set my options to default aka share permissions enabled globally. That was the last straw, I refused to be the product being sold. Nothing's free; FB data mines like crazy.

What FB is: https://imgur.com/gallery/WiOMq

This is how I prefer my FaceBook (and now irrelevant MySpace): http://zitscomics.com/comics/july-10-2007/

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #7108 on: January 23, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
Even though I'm no longer on Facebook due to several reasons, I enjoy reading this thread!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7109 on: January 23, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/brain-hacking-chief-of-chobani-japans-babe-ruth/

Watched the brain hacking segment. No, won't let them tinker with my brain.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7110 on: January 26, 2018, 04:36:15 AM »
My husband quit Facebook recently and loves it. I stopped posting anything except the odd link ages ago, but I'm still on it because I don't have a checking addiction (unlike, um, this forum :P) and there are some groups that are really useful for work. Im sure I've mentioned this before, but it's been so good for me that I'll say it again: try unfollowing everyone on your news feed.

Top right of all the posts, just click the arrow and unfollow that person. After a week or so, you'll end up with a blank newsfeed. It's brilliant! Nothing to idly scroll through but if you want to go and look at any particular person or group you're still friends with them. If you really miss having anyone particular in your newsfeed you can re-follow them after a while but you don't have to be assaulted by the holiday photos or political opinions of people you're moderately acquainted with. Anyone still on Facebook should really try it! It maximises the benefits of the site (simple connections with people and useful groups) and minimises the downsides (timesuck temptations and inadequate distinguishing between close friends and distant acquaintances).

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7111 on: January 26, 2018, 07:21:24 AM »
My husband quit Facebook recently and loves it.

... try unfollowing everyone on your news feed.

Top right of all the posts, just click the arrow and unfollow that person. After a week or so, you'll end up with a blank newsfeed. It's brilliant! Nothing to idly scroll through but if you want to go and look at any particular person or group you're still friends with them. If you really miss having anyone particular in your newsfeed you can re-follow them after a while but you don't have to be assaulted by the holiday photos or political opinions of people you're moderately acquainted with. Anyone still on Facebook should really try it! It maximises the benefits of the site (simple connections with people and useful groups) and minimises the downsides (timesuck temptations and inadequate distinguishing between close friends and distant acquaintances).

Good man!

If you unfollow everyone, what's the point of having a FB account? Unless you want to "peep and scan". Far easier to let it all go and delete account. There is no benefit of FB, you're the product, your data is sold or leveraged for advertising. Everything in FB is a downside.

Here's 98 data points collected about you by Facebook (this was in 2016, will be more in 2018): https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/08/19/98-personal-data-points-that-facebook-uses-to-target-ads-to-you/?utm_term=.6d514a897422

Here's a pretty good summary of how Facebook uses your data:
The funny thing is that Facebook doesn’t steal your information. Rather, you willingly share it with Facebook. You have told Facebook all about yourself, your location, your job, your friends, and also your relationship. You have also given away what your favorite movies are, which sports teams you support, and which school you went to.

You must’ve seen advertisements popping up on your profile based on something you are your friends have liked, or based on a Google search you recently performed. Ever wondered how Facebook does this?

It is actually simple. When you sign up for an account on Facebook, a tracking cookie is inserted into your web browser for collecting every data that you share online or offline. This data is sold to Facebook’s advertising partners so they could show ads more relevant to you. And that’s not all.

Facebook can also recognize you or your friends from the pictures that you upload, and it can also do so even with pictures that you upload elsewhere on the web. This is because of the ‘face recognition’ capabilities that Facebook uses.

Now when you think of it does this make you uncomfortable? If it does, you are not to blame. Facebook goes beyond merely analyzing your profile data to completely tracking you across the web. If you log onto Facebook and then log onto other websites, Facebook knows this.

Moreover, most people don’t know how these things work, so when they find out how Facebook exploits their private information, they are surprised and scared. Some of the most controversial ways Facebook has used its users private data over the years were documented by Time Magazine back in 2014.

Source: https://thevpn.guru/how-facebook-uses-private-data/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:37:03 AM by jinga nation »

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7112 on: January 26, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »

Good man!

If you unfollow everyone, what's the point of having a FB account? Unless you want to "peep and scan". Far easier to let it all go and delete account. There is no benefit of FB, you're the product, your data is sold or leveraged for advertising. Everything in FB is a downside.

I want to agree...but I've received a lot of benefits from groups. Facebook is the biggest source for local vegan events and other information on dining out and such. I've met a couple people through there. My fraternity also has events on their page and updates on new members. Also, apparently the D&D group at my local game shop has a page too, which I still need to join. Last week our usual day was canceled and I had no idea that they moved it to the day after because I wasn't on the page.

Also, it's the best way I currently have to talk to my grandma who is in Ukraine and speaks no English. I don't know if she would be able to figure out how to use something completely different. Same with a couple other friends, though I could reasonably contact them in another way--I just might not receive responses as promptly.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7113 on: January 26, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »
Good man!

Here's 98 data points collected about you by Facebook (this was in 2016, will be more in 2018): https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/08/19/98-personal-data-points-that-facebook-uses-to-target-ads-to-you/?utm_term=.6d514a897422

Some of those are pretty funny. "80. Users who buy groceries" - oh shit, they're on to me! That was my biggest secret!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7114 on: January 26, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »

Good man!

I want to agree...but I've received a lot of benefits from groups. Facebook is the biggest source for local vegan events and other information on dining out and such. I've met a couple people through there. My fraternity also has events on their page and updates on new members. Also, apparently the D&D group at my local game shop has a page too, which I still need to join. Last week our usual day was canceled and I had no idea that they moved it to the day after because I wasn't on the page.

Also, it's the best way I currently have to talk to my grandma who is in Ukraine and speaks no English. I don't know if she would be able to figure out how to use something completely different. Same with a couple other friends, though I could reasonably contact them in another way--I just might not receive responses as promptly.

Well, two reasons. First, it's a transitional step to quitting. My husband unfollowed everyone first because it's not as final as quitting so it's easier to do. I think it's a really helpful suggestion for people who quail at the idea of going cold turkey.

Second, as marielle said, there are lots of really great groups that are only on Facebook. I am in four very active groups related to my professional freelance work and one related to a hobby of mine. I've had excellent advice on there and even found work through those groups. I'm not concerned about Facebook mining my data any more because I don't put any personal stuff on there. I'm pregnant and Facebook has no idea we're having a baby, and probably never will. I have moderate concerns about all the stuff I've already posted on there but it's not like I believe they'll delete it if I delete my account, so what can I do.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #7115 on: January 26, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »
I find I don't mind the advertising on Facebook. It's a company. It needs to make money. I can tell Facebook that I don't like certain ads and they listen. I can ignore most of what comes up now quite easily. I'd rather have targeted ads than a series of ads about stuff I find annoying or offensive. Most of what I get now is clickbait articles. I don't mind because it provides a bit of a laugh when I'm bored at work. Google does the same thing. I was looking for something at a store website and later that day the exact items I had looked at came up in an ad in the sidebar of another website. As far as I know, I don't have the option to tell Google I'm not actually interested in those items.  Maybe I can. I don't know. I find it highly amusing that a page I googled when looking for a Christmas present for my husband now comes up as an ad on a game I play on my phone.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #7116 on: January 26, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »
I find I don't mind the advertising on Facebook. It's a company. It needs to make money. I can tell Facebook that I don't like certain ads and they listen.

I'm a little biased since I work in the type of analytics that goes into these targetted ads, but I think they are just too cool. As facebook refines their algorithms and I provide them more information about my interests I get better and better ads that I actually want to click on. This is a win-win scenario so far as I am concerned. I know there are drawbacks in terms of security and the "creep" factor. The security is less dangerous than you would normally think because the data is already provided as you have given that information about yourself away for free anyway. The targeted ads are just looking at the data you've already provided in clever ways. The creep factor can't be helped. Either you marvel at the data scientists and technology or you find it weird and uncomfortable. I recommend taking a statistics class (or several) to get rid of the feeling (or shift the creepy feeling from technology to math).

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7117 on: January 26, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
Is there a way television could move into the targeted advertising business by switching to internet streaming, and having the same shows but different content for advertising breaks?  If I'm watching TV during the daytime, I don't want all these old people and trailer trash ads just because they are the demographics most likely to be watching daytime TV.

Plus you could sell a premium option which replaces ad breaks with background muzak, nature scenes, and a countdown clock.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #7118 on: January 26, 2018, 06:59:55 PM »
I find I don't mind the advertising on Facebook. It's a company. It needs to make money. I can tell Facebook that I don't like certain ads and they listen.

I'm a little biased since I work in the type of analytics that goes into these targetted ads, but I think they are just too cool. As facebook refines their algorithms and I provide them more information about my interests I get better and better ads that I actually want to click on. This is a win-win scenario so far as I am concerned. I know there are drawbacks in terms of security and the "creep" factor. The security is less dangerous than you would normally think because the data is already provided as you have given that information about yourself away for free anyway. The targeted ads are just looking at the data you've already provided in clever ways. The creep factor can't be helped. Either you marvel at the data scientists and technology or you find it weird and uncomfortable. I recommend taking a statistics class (or several) to get rid of the feeling (or shift the creepy feeling from technology to math).

Agreed. I think its quite clever and win win win for all. While slightly disturbing when considering how big brother could use the technology, I don't see it as creepy. It's not like there's some sweaty overweight man sitting in a dark room and jerking off to our info. It's all computers. I assume (maybe stupidly) that the advertisers don't actually know who is seeing their ads. It's all about the numbers. I also assume that fb doesn't actually give a shit about me personally except as a money making number. From a small business point of view, I have considered advertising on Facebook. I haven't yet but if I do, it pleases me to know that I can choose only local area peeps to see it and that I won't be paying for random people all over the world to see it when it's no good to them or us.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7119 on: January 27, 2018, 12:58:15 AM »
Oh yeah, and I also have Adblock for Chrome so barely see any adverts on Facebook (or, indeed, anywhere else). I would really recommend it! Every time I go on another computer now I'm startled by all the huge, blaring adverts.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #7120 on: January 27, 2018, 01:34:10 AM »
I left the location on on my phone while at the shop. Now my phone/google is asking me to rate the store I was at. I found it amusing.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #7121 on: January 27, 2018, 07:24:30 AM »

I just came here to post about something I saw on the same group. Someone asked what people thought about 401ks, and there are people chiming in about it isn't worth it because the government will appropriate everyone's savings and it's better to just be a prepper (I'm paraphrasing). WTF? ...

I follow a FB group on the topic of food storage/home canning/prepping/etc.  The view you mentioned is pretty common in this group!  They believe food storage leads to financial security.  Folks tell stories like, "My husband lost his job for 6 months, and we would have starved if I hadn't stockpiled 87 cans of Del Monte green beans when they were on sale for $.40."  They talk about spending a certain amount, say $100/month, in additional grocery expense to add to their stockpile.  Me, I'd rather have $1000 cash in the case of a job loss than $1000 in canned goods in my pantry. 

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #7122 on: January 27, 2018, 07:48:50 AM »

Folks tell stories like, "My husband lost his job for 6 months, and we would have starved if I hadn't stockpiled 87 cans of Del Monte green beans when they were on sale for $.40." 
They talk about spending a certain amount, say $100/month, in additional grocery expense to add to their stockpile.  Me, I'd rather have $1000 cash in the case of a job loss than $1000 in canned goods in my pantry.

I suppose this makes sense to people who think money is for spending, and therefore would otherwise spend the £100 on crap they didn't need - they wouldn't have been able to buy food when he lost his job.

I guess they are saving for hard times, just in food rather than cash?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7123 on: January 27, 2018, 09:04:26 PM »

Folks tell stories like, "My husband lost his job for 6 months, and we would have starved if I hadn't stockpiled 87 cans of Del Monte green beans when they were on sale for $.40." 
They talk about spending a certain amount, say $100/month, in additional grocery expense to add to their stockpile.  Me, I'd rather have $1000 cash in the case of a job loss than $1000 in canned goods in my pantry.

I suppose this makes sense to people who think money is for spending, and therefore would otherwise spend the £100 on crap they didn't need - they wouldn't have been able to buy food when he lost his job.

I guess they are saving for hard times, just in food rather than cash?

You've missed the point of stockpiling - that you're paying much less per unit than someone who does not stockpile. Because you're buying bulk on sale. Of course, this is only useful if you're buying basics that your family uses regularly AND you use them before any expiration AND you don't fall into the trap of have-more-use-more. But, done correctly, stockpiling means that you pay far, far less for grocery items than someone who buys as they require.

I probably allow an extra $20 a week to take advantage of any really good special I see. I don't always spend that. It tends to be on reduced for quick sale stuff that will be perfectly fine in the freezer until it is eaten.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7124 on: January 28, 2018, 04:08:59 AM »
Moderate stockpiling of things you're actually going to use is a very good way to save money. But all this prepper-style stockpiling is just a huge waste of money and space. And let's not even talk about coupon queen-style stockpiling. I have a few relatives that buy lots of stuff because it's free or nearly free. After a few months they donate all this weird food to me. I'm just now drinking cappucccino made with cappuccino milk powder from a sachet. I had no idea a thing like that even existed. Someone gave this box of sachets to me because they don't actually drink cappuccino.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #7125 on: January 28, 2018, 04:31:41 AM »

You've missed the point of stockpiling - that you're paying much less per unit than someone who does not stockpile. Because you're buying bulk on sale. Of course, this is only useful if you're buying basics that your family uses regularly AND you use them before any expiration AND you don't fall into the trap of have-more-use-more. But, done correctly, stockpiling means that you pay far, far less for grocery items than someone who buys as they require.

I probably allow an extra $20 a week to take advantage of any really good special I see. I don't always spend that. It tends to be on reduced for quick sale stuff that will be perfectly fine in the freezer until it is eaten.

I thought everyone bought extra stuff whilst it's on offer?
I don't buy crazy amounts though, just enough to see me through until next time it's likely to be on offer if it's something regularly on offer. Obviously I buy more if I think it's a one off, never to be repeated offer. E.g. I have 3 packs of cheddar cheese in the fridge, and my meat drawer in the freezer is filled with reduced meat and fish, but I'm running low on tinned tomatoes so will keep an eye out for offers on these.

To be fair, I'm doing less of this now I'm almost exclusively shopping at Aldi and Lidl, they tend to have low prices consistently rather than Asda where I only buy certain things if they're on (regular) offer. Now I mainly just buy and freeze meat and fish reduced because they are near use by dates.

I don't count this as 'extra' spending per week/month on this, I assume it all balances out. But I don't really budget, we just total up our spending every couple of months (to sort out who owes who what) and I just check the totals are within reason.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #7126 on: January 28, 2018, 09:00:08 AM »
Moderate stockpiling of things you're actually going to use is a very good way to save money. But all this prepper-style stockpiling is just a huge waste of money and space...

+1.  I buy enough groceries when they are on sale to last until the next time they're on sale.  For example, I recently bought several boxes of cereal that my son likes because it was $1/box.  It takes up a lot of room in my pantry, but he'll eventually eat it, and I won't buy it again until I can get another great deal.  I consider this smart shopping - I don't consider it an unemployment insurance plan.

MTA: Oh, I see this is what faithless just described, too.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7127 on: January 28, 2018, 02:12:28 PM »
Here is an actual Facebook rant:

My "friend" (I am actually only still friends on FB for the drama which I find entertaining) is living paycheck to paycheck. Her husband is a security guard, she makes more but not craZy money, and they have four kids. Definitely paycheck to paycheck.

They had a Toyota Yaris, that was worth 5-8k (I can't remember) so a pretty reasonable frugal car choice. The H got in an accident and totalled it, plus he was semi seriously injured and couldn't work for a month,plus medical bills.

She posted a GFM on Facebook, saying they live paycheck to paycheck and need help.

It has now been less than a month. She bought all new furniture and rugs and whatnot to decorate her home office, and they bought a new car with a bigger loan- a Fiat of some.kind that gets horrible reliability reviews, and is just as tiny as the Yaris, so they don't even have the excuse of not wanting to get crunched in another accident.

The optics are SO BAD. If I was ever thinking about helping her out (spoiler alert- I wasn't) I certainly wouldn't now!

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7128 on: January 29, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »
Is there a way television could move into the targeted advertising business by switching to internet streaming, and having the same shows but different content for advertising breaks?  If I'm watching TV during the daytime, I don't want all these old people and trailer trash ads just because they are the demographics most likely to be watching daytime TV.

Plus you could sell a premium option which replaces ad breaks with background muzak, nature scenes, and a countdown clock.

There is definitely a move to do this but it's probably still far from traditional television implementing this.  Google bought a company (mDialog) that does exactly this - to target advertising based on the viewer.  So same content internet streamed from two different viewers will get different ads. 

There are a few television providers that already implement the premium option to cut out the ads - CBS is one that comes to mind.  If you use their app.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7129 on: January 30, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »
I definitely stock up when staples we will use anyway are on sale, and I do think it's important to have a reasonable stockpile of food in case of an emergency where you have to shelter in place for a bit. I was just so struck by the leap between the original question on the group "what do you all think about 401Ks" to "don't bother, the government will take all your money anyway, be a prepper instead." Facebook is fascinating. I probably own't ever quit it because I value my local Buy Nothing Group too much. There are days I might consider it though if they used a platform other than Facebook.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7130 on: February 01, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
A classmate from high school wrote on Facebook today

"Just keep winning free play on our lotto tickets (frowny face), I'd be happy with hundred thou and be out of debt.  Some day I'll win big (smiley face)"

Doubt it.  (Face palm face)

Update time.  Same person just posted a photo of a 65" 4K LED Smart TV with the caption "present for husband".  Dare I ask if she's out of debt now?

Another update, this just keeps getting worse.  Today she wrote

"I feel like the world has fallen on my shoulders, after I get baby to sleep I'm going to call subsidy to see if we qualify, but from the sounds of it we don't so we are basically screwed.  I can't afford $530 a month for daycare, LMAO, I'm already drowning in debt as it is"

I have no words.  No. Fucking. Words.

New update today for this person, I didn't think they could top the last one but boy did they find a way. 
They posted a photo of their truck, which is/was a brand new Dodge Ram with the biggest cab I've ever seen, which apparently they had purchased new 3 years ago, along with the following garbage..

"Call us crazy LOL we have traded in our vehicle a million times, but I'd rather be stuck in a vehicle I actually like!! We are in over our head but I don't care!!  One of these days I'll win the lottery :)"

What does it take for someone like this to see the light?  I just don't understand!

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #7131 on: February 01, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
Why are they posting this on FB??? The last one doesn't even make any sense (if it was a new car...mabye?)

This makes me hurt.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7132 on: February 01, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
Why are they posting this on FB??? The last one doesn't even make any sense (if it was a new car...mabye?)

This makes me hurt.

Same.  I think it was one of those "Facebook Memories" things that let you repost something that you posted this day a year (or 2 or 10 or whatever) ago, so it was like a repost of their initial purchase of the new truck 3 years ago.  Why people do this i have no idea.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7133 on: February 01, 2018, 03:03:04 PM »
I definitely stock up when staples we will use anyway are on sale, and I do think it's important to have a reasonable stockpile of food in case of an emergency where you have to shelter in place for a bit. I was just so struck by the leap between the original question on the group "what do you all think about 401Ks" to "don't bother, the government will take all your money anyway, be a prepper instead." Facebook is fascinating. I probably own't ever quit it because I value my local Buy Nothing Group too much. There are days I might consider it though if they used a platform other than Facebook.

We should make "FacePunch", like FaceBook, but when anything anti-mustachian gets posted, they get a good punch in the face. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7134 on: February 02, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
A classmate from high school wrote on Facebook today

"Just keep winning free play on our lotto tickets (frowny face), I'd be happy with hundred thou and be out of debt.  Some day I'll win big (smiley face)"

Doubt it.  (Face palm face)

Update time.  Same person just posted a photo of a 65" 4K LED Smart TV with the caption "present for husband".  Dare I ask if she's out of debt now?

Another update, this just keeps getting worse.  Today she wrote

"I feel like the world has fallen on my shoulders, after I get baby to sleep I'm going to call subsidy to see if we qualify, but from the sounds of it we don't so we are basically screwed.  I can't afford $530 a month for daycare, LMAO, I'm already drowning in debt as it is"

I have no words.  No. Fucking. Words.

New update today for this person, I didn't think they could top the last one but boy did they find a way. 
They posted a photo of their truck, which is/was a brand new Dodge Ram with the biggest cab I've ever seen, which apparently they had purchased new 3 years ago, along with the following garbage..

"Call us crazy LOL we have traded in our vehicle a million times, but I'd rather be stuck in a vehicle I actually like!! We are in over our head but I don't care!!  One of these days I'll win the lottery :)"

What does it take for someone like this to see the light?  I just don't understand!

Also, today their post was

"Yay for getting ahead! Already paid off our holiday bills! :) "

I wonder when they normally have them paid off by?  I guess any progress is good

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7135 on: February 03, 2018, 12:02:33 AM »

I wonder when they normally have them paid off by?  I guess any progress is good

This post is oddly hopeful for me. If there were more posts acknowledging debt and celebrating financial progress, there would be more people getting their financial shit together.

What was the response like?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7136 on: February 03, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »

This post is oddly hopeful for me. If there were more posts acknowledging debt and celebrating financial progress, there would be more people getting their financial shit together.

A bunch of thumbs up and a couple people saying good job.  Although they got even more thumbs up for that stupid truck photo :(

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #7137 on: February 03, 2018, 02:10:52 PM »

Thanks for providing a positive outlook on life.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7138 on: February 11, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »
My primary reason for having a FB account is to follow the activities of a dog rescue group. I am on the board of directors for that group and i need to know  what is going on. That is the only form of communication we have.

Since I am on the thing, I do peep and sneak looks, pretty often. The FaceBook came in handy this week when I was tracking down someone,a President of a Board for an organization that was not responding to my phone calls asking for them to call me back. I found him via FB, located his company, located his email address, and sent him a rational email message. Within an hour an employee of the organization returned my calls,
Finally.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #7139 on: February 11, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
Just saw one for this thread:

“Costco day! Time to go for $50 worth of stuff and spend $200!”

If I knew the person better, I would comment, “OR, you could make a list and exercise some self control instead!” (And maybe I’d add a winky face.)

It’s really not that hard. Do I go off-list when I go to Costco? Yes, it happens. But pretty much only if it’s something I’d normally buy and it’s on for a reduced price. Those frugality muscles work if you keep using them.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7140 on: February 12, 2018, 07:50:45 AM »
Anonymous ways to log into an account that knows you by name and by your circle of friends? Sort of pointless eh?

I might use Facebook if my user name was like the old ICQ where they issued a 7 digit number instead of names and legit addresses.

I suppose the comments sections might be extraordinarily abusive though. Always easy to be a bully when you're anonymous.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #7141 on: February 12, 2018, 09:50:16 AM »
I don’t know... I generally avoid reading or commenting on public/controversial things because the comments sections are SO vicious. Some people must have fake profiles that they only use for vicious commenting; sadly, though, I think plenty are just spewing their vitriol from their regular accounts.

That’s why I like this forum so much. It has a very obviously higher level of literacy, intelligence and overall respect than anywhere else I’ve seen on the Internet. There are topics that digress, but they’re easy enough to avoid or skip over.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7142 on: February 12, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
I've been cleaning up my old FB activity recently. The history feature that pops up brought up some really old stuff, and I realized that I should probably clean it up. Unfortunately, there really isn't an easy way to delete 10+ years of stuff.

I have noticed that my approach to social media has changed, and I also noticed that how much I post has varied a lot. The more unsettled my life is, the more I posted. I also started posting a lot more when I got a smartphone. I'm probably going to take facebook off the phone and just use the computer, but I sometimes need the messenger app to communicate with people, so that will stay.

There have been times that I'm much more controversial than others. I've also "softened" a bit over time (which is a good thing - I'm BLUNT).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7143 on: February 12, 2018, 11:12:18 AM »
I've been cleaning up my old FB activity recently. The history feature that pops up brought up some really old stuff, and I realized that I should probably clean it up. Unfortunately, there really isn't an easy way to delete 10+ years of stuff.

I have noticed that my approach to social media has changed, and I also noticed that how much I post has varied a lot. The more unsettled my life is, the more I posted. I also started posting a lot more when I got a smartphone. I'm probably going to take facebook off the phone and just use the computer, but I sometimes need the messenger app to communicate with people, so that will stay.

There have been times that I'm much more controversial than others. I've also "softened" a bit over time (which is a good thing - I'm BLUNT).

There is a way to make all your past posts viewable only to you, even if you can't delete them all.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7144 on: February 12, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »

There is a way to make all your past posts viewable only to you, even if you can't delete them all.

I know, but I prefer to delete them in this case. I've had FB change things in the past and surprise me.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7145 on: February 12, 2018, 11:46:04 AM »
Friend bragging that she has 2 sets of washer / dryer (a total of 4 machines). She has 3 kids and is a SAHM. I don't even know where to begin. Is this a thing???

Well, I know someone with two washing machines (no dryers) but then she has 10 kids so I kind of understand wanting to run two loads of laundry at the same time. I'm pretty sure the machines were second hand too. But for normal people, that's completely crazy. Especially as a SAHM, if you're home most of the day, what's the problem of taking stuff in and out of the machine a few times in a row?

I don't really get how some people have such massive loads of laundry. We are a couple without kids and we run 2 loads a week and my fiance has a job where he gets dirty all the time. I can see how some people would get to 3 if they don't dry their towels after use, but I heard someone say they did 6 loads a week... a couple with office jobs, no kids.

I grew up in a household with 8 children.  We NEVER reused towels.  Most of us used 2 or 3 towels per shower (one for wet hair, one to dry the body, and a smaller one to step on).  We had so much laundry, and my mom did all of it.  Every day.  Even when she worked outside the home.  When that's all you know growing up, it doesn't really seem insane.  I can remember though, the very day that my mom LOST IT.  Someone threw a pile of still-folded, clean clothes down the laundry chute.  That someone was too lazy to put the clothes away, so decided to clean his room by putting it all through another cycle and dealing with it when it magically reappeared, folded,  on his chair again.  That someone ruined it for the rest of us! 

For the record, I learned to reuse towels as soon as I went to college and didn't have a place to store 14 towels to get me through the week! 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7146 on: February 12, 2018, 01:29:05 PM »

I grew up in a household with 8 children.  We NEVER reused towels. 

Oh geeze at first  thought you just threw them away

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7147 on: February 12, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »

I grew up in a household with 8 children.  We NEVER reused towels.  Most of us used 2 or 3 towels per shower (one for wet hair, one to dry the body, and a smaller one to step on).  We had so much laundry, and my mom did all of it.  Every day.  Even when she worked outside the home.  When that's all you know growing up, it doesn't really seem insane.

My mum says normal is what you grew up with, but even then...

I had an aunt like that. When she married my uncle, she put out fresh towels every day, so she was washing 14 bath towels, seven hand towels and seven floor mats a week. Then they had five boys and she came to her senses. 

I can remember though, the very day that my mom LOST IT.  Someone threw a pile of still-folded, clean clothes down the laundry chute.  That someone was too lazy to put the clothes away, so decided to clean his room by putting it all through another cycle and dealing with it when it magically reappeared, folded,  on his chair again.  That someone ruined it for the rest of us! 

Your mum could have thrown him down the laundry chute at that point, no-one would have convicted her!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7148 on: February 12, 2018, 04:08:24 PM »
I read a forum where quite a few people use a fresh towel every time they shower, and think it's gross not to. Many of them also use a fresh washcloth every day. Then there are the ones who think that any piece of clothing that touches skin must be washed after a single wearing, including jeans. They spend a lot of time doing laundry.  Others feel it's gross to ever share a *bathroom* with another person (to use the same bathroom at different times). How do these people live in the real world?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7149 on: February 12, 2018, 04:47:01 PM »
I read a forum where quite a few people use a fresh towel every time they shower, and think it's gross not to. Many of them also use a fresh washcloth every day. Then there are the ones who think that any piece of clothing that touches skin must be washed after a single wearing, including jeans. They spend a lot of time doing laundry.  Others feel it's gross to ever share a *bathroom* with another person (to use the same bathroom at different times). How do these people live in the real world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxdjPH0JrDM

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!