Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082396 times)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4700 on: July 13, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »
No small penis jokes or backhanded PMI references to be found, I'm afraid... Just interesting to see how many new cars one individual can move in my city, and wondering what percentage his commission is on them; I know the RE gentleman has stated he clears 60-70k per year, on the side, and that's at 3-4%, well under the 6% normally charged.

I always am amazed how many car dealerships there seem to be. It seems that there can't be enough cars being consumed/destroyed by society to justify the insane volume of cars on the lot.

But... I guess for every car that is junked, a new one (or more) take its place. So...

7.9 million cars were sold in the US in 2014. There were 134 million households in the United States in 2014. So the average household buys a new car every 16.9 years, I guess?

In 2014 there were 17,838 car dealerships (not sure if this includes used car dealers). So the average dealer sells 444 new cars per year.

Hmm.  It looks like you have access to statista, which is a paid database.  I was curious if it was just picking up dealer numbers.  I bet a substantial portion of sales occur between private parties.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #4701 on: July 13, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
"I laughed from discouragement when I'm reading these articles about "how to spend $50 a week on groceries" when the list the cost of a loaf of bread at $1.79. Or 2lbs of chicken for $7.

My reality:
One loaf of soy/gluten free sliced bread $8 (this is the budget sized large one from a wholesale store, the size of an average loaf of bread).
One pound of non-arsenic laced feed chicken $5-8.

At my local "cheaper store", wegmans:
Regular pasta 16oz =$0.99
Soy/gluten free pasta 16oz =$3.19

Having dietary restrictions for legitimate food allergies/health issues is very costly..."

This woman does not have celiac or a true soy allergy.  And apparently they feed chickens arsenic now (unless they're free-range, organic, and ridiculously expensive)?  Not sure how the chickens stay alive long enough to be slaughter-worthy, but ok...

She also complains about having no money (living on disability and other assistance), yet somehow scraped together $xxx for a trendy newborn photo shoot?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4702 on: July 13, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
No small penis jokes or backhanded PMI references to be found, I'm afraid... Just interesting to see how many new cars one individual can move in my city, and wondering what percentage his commission is on them; I know the RE gentleman has stated he clears 60-70k per year, on the side, and that's at 3-4%, well under the 6% normally charged.

I always am amazed how many car dealerships there seem to be. It seems that there can't be enough cars being consumed/destroyed by society to justify the insane volume of cars on the lot.

But... I guess for every car that is junked, a new one (or more) take its place. So...

7.9 million cars were sold in the US in 2014. There were 134 million households in the United States in 2014. So the average household buys a new car every 16.9 years, I guess?

In 2014 there were 17,838 car dealerships (not sure if this includes used car dealers). So the average dealer sells 444 new cars per year.

Hmm.  It looks like you have access to statista, which is a paid database.  I was curious if it was just picking up dealer numbers.  I bet a substantial portion of sales occur between private parties.

I don't have access to the full statistics on Statista. I just went off what they displayed for free. Hmm, according to NY Times there were 16.5 million new vehicles sold in the US in 2014. Maybe the Statista number doesn't include fleet vehicles or something?

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #4703 on: July 14, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »
"I laughed from discouragement when I'm reading these articles about "how to spend $50 a week on groceries" when the list the cost of a loaf of bread at $1.79. Or 2lbs of chicken for $7.

My reality:
One loaf of soy/gluten free sliced bread $8 (this is the budget sized large one from a wholesale store, the size of an average loaf of bread).

Having dietary restrictions for legitimate food allergies/health issues is very costly..."

This woman does not have celiac or a true soy allergy.  And apparently they feed chickens arsenic now (unless they're free-range, organic, and ridiculously expensive)?  Not sure how the chickens stay alive long enough to be slaughter-worthy, but ok...

She also complains about having no money (living on disability and other assistance), yet somehow scraped together $xxx for a trendy newborn photo shoot?

To be fair, they actually were giving chickens feed with arsenic in it, though apparently that's mostly stopped now.

Soy sensitivity is actually a thing too. My wife has that - we tested it pretty thoroughly with an elimination diet and several attempts at adding it back. It's not actually dangerous, but does have some unpleasant side effects, so I can understand having an aversion.

But I bet with a bit of effort I bet you can still eat pretty cheaply even with those limitations.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4704 on: July 14, 2016, 11:19:33 AM »

My reality:

To be fair, they actually were giving chickens feed with arsenic in it, though apparently that's mostly stopped now.

Soy sensitivity is actually a thing too. My wife has that - we tested it pretty thoroughly with an elimination diet and several attempts at adding it back. It's not actually dangerous, but does have some unpleasant side effects, so I can understand having an aversion.

But I bet with a bit of effort I bet you can still eat pretty cheaply even with those limitations.

This. Wheat sensitivity might not be a 'thing' according to some, but when I eat it I get the rash of doom where the skin cracks and bleeds, and it stops within 24 hours of changing my diet. Also if you sneak in non-GF soy sauce, I can tell you within 2 hours that I ate something I wasn't supposed to, because of the rash. Some asshole I know tried it. So, like... is it 'medically necessary'? Maybe not. But having my skin itch, crack, and bleed without 4 daily applications of cortisone isn't a great long-term plan either, so I mostly eat wheat-free and save the cortisone for when I mistakenly eat something I shouldn't.

There are many, may ways to do GF for relatively cheap, though. Among other tricks, that 8$ loaf of bread always tastes gross - eat something non-bread-like, and don't spend the $ at all.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4705 on: July 14, 2016, 11:24:17 AM »

My reality:

This. Wheat sensitivity might not be a 'thing' according to some, but when I eat it I get the rash of doom where the skin cracks and bleeds, and it stops within 24 hours of changing my diet. Also if you sneak in non-GF soy sauce, I can tell you within 2 hours that I ate something I wasn't supposed to, because of the rash. Some asshole I know tried it. So, like... is it 'medically necessary'? Maybe not. But having my skin itch, crack, and bleed without 4 daily applications of cortisone isn't a great long-term plan either, so I mostly eat wheat-free and save the cortisone for when I mistakenly eat something I shouldn't.

There are many, may ways to do GF for relatively cheap, though. Among other tricks, that 8$ loaf of bread always tastes gross - eat something non-bread-like, and don't spend the $ at all.

I don't know as to the women's dietary restrictions/food intolerances, but I just flat out hate hearing people with the whole "woe is me," posts. Yeah life can really suck. BUT WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT??? No one ever seems to be simply asking this question. Ok, so you can't eat soy/gluten, you like bread, and you don't like paying $7/loaf....have you ever considered baking yours? Have you looked at bulk buying staples online or at a warehouse store? Have you considered changing what you eat in light of your budget? It's highly improbable that she hasn't.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4706 on: July 14, 2016, 11:35:05 AM »
I don't know as to the women's dietary restrictions/food intolerances, but I just flat out hate hearing people with the whole "woe is me," posts. Yeah life can really suck. BUT WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT??? No one ever seems to be simply asking this question. Ok, so you can't eat soy/gluten, you like bread, and you don't like paying $7/loaf....have you ever considered baking yours? Have you looked at bulk buying staples online or at a warehouse store? Have you considered changing what you eat in light of your budget? It's highly improbable that she hasn't.

You inconsiderate monster, haven't you any respect for the unique situations everyone like that is going through!?!?

;-)

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4707 on: July 14, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »
We don't have celiac but we do not eat carbs much at all in our household.  I can't remember the last time we ate bread....5 years???  We also don't eat pasta or soy sauce.  We have not died. 

If you can't eat $1 a loaf bread the alternative is not $8 a loaf bread....it's DON'T EAT BREAD. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4708 on: July 14, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »

You inconsiderate monster, haven't you any respect for the unique situations everyone like that is going through!?!?

;-)

But she's a delicate snowflake who NEEDS an 8$ loaf of bread! And gluten-free hamburgeer buns are 4/8$! How can she be expected to eat for less??!?!

Joke aside: have an egg and some fried mushrooms and maybe some slices of tomato for breakfast: 2$ feeds 2 people, and it's tasty. Instead of hamburger, maybe try steak (on sale), a salad, and some oven fries. You want grilled cheese? Try a quesadilla - corn tortillas are a GREAT bread substitute. And so on.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4709 on: July 14, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
If you can't eat $1 a loaf bread the alternative is not $8 a loaf bread....it's DON'T EAT BREAD.

ABSOLUTELY! Ok, if someone absolutely LOVES bread then I'd say either learn how to bake it or make it a special occasion.

That said, I grew up eating the crappy bread and not appreciating it, during the 4th I was over at my friend's family's house and they had a loaf of toast from a good baker and was blown away at how much I enjoyed it. I might have to start adding bread+peanut butter for my breakfast, I do think I need carbs in the morning (right now I just eat bacon and eggs for breakfast).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4710 on: July 14, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Potatoes, the other white meat (now gluten-free!)

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #4711 on: July 14, 2016, 03:56:31 PM »
To be fair, this woman does have  health issues, and was raised to believe in alternative medicine.  However, she believes random people about how xxx food is terrible unless it's grass-fed/organic/blessed by fairies. 

She also claims that circumcision can never have health benefits and is inherently abusive.  She got angry when I shared about my special-needs son and the medical reason for his circumcision.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #4712 on: July 14, 2016, 04:09:42 PM »
To be fair, this woman does have  health issues, and was raised to believe in alternative medicine.  However, she believes random people about how xxx food is terrible unless it's grass-fed/organic/blessed by fairies. 

She also claims that circumcision can never have health benefits and is inherently abusive.  She got angry when I shared about my special-needs son and the medical reason for his circumcision.

Just because you were "raised to believe in alternative medicine" doesn't mean you have to stick to that (and I won't share my opinion on the matter because I don't want to start a large amount of foam about this...).
But at the very least, you need to live with the fact that trying to living a different/alternative lifestyle (in any way) is not what society expects you to do, so some difficulties are to be expected.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #4713 on: July 14, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
However, she believes random people about how xxx food is terrible unless it's grass-fed/organic/blessed by fairies. 

Do the fairies have to be free range? Maybe I should look into getting fairies to visit my garden and then I can sell the produce at a huge mark up at the farmers market and make that my side hustle. So far my garden tends to be organic mainly because I'm too busy/lazy to go to the store to get fertilizer.
Only free-range fairies are good enough.  They other ones are fed arsenic apparently.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4714 on: July 14, 2016, 08:50:23 PM »
However, she believes random people about how xxx food is terrible unless it's grass-fed/organic/blessed by fairies. 

Do the fairies have to be free range? Maybe I should look into getting fairies to visit my garden and then I can sell the produce at a huge mark up at the farmers market and make that my side hustle. So far my garden tends to be organic mainly because I'm too busy/lazy to go to the store to get fertilizer.
Only free-range fairies are good enough.  They other ones are fed arsenic apparently.

Ooooh! Which breed of heirloom fairies do you use?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4715 on: July 14, 2016, 09:49:11 PM »

The CAFO fairies sprinkle arsenic dust on the rest of the non-organic foods, of course.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4716 on: July 15, 2016, 02:07:14 AM »

My reality:

Speaking as someone with food intolerances (onion & garlic, dairy a bit), this woman is a moron. I cannot eat milk, cream, soft cheese or ice cream without suffering. I do not react by carrying on with a normal dairy-heavy diet and paying through the nose for substitutes. The only substitutes we buy are almond milk (but I only have this on cereal and occasionally when baking so we don't get through much) and about two tubs of special ice cream a year when it all gets too much.

You know what's naturally gluten free? Rice. Potatoes. Quinoa (I think, or buckwheat, I forget). Rice noodles. Corn tortillas. Oats. Gluten free flour mixes which only cost a bit more than normal flour. Oatcakes. Rice cakes. Need I go on? That's loads of things! I'd say maybe one loaf of bread a month is reasonable (because no bread ever = sadtimes), and $8/month is not unaffordable.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4717 on: July 15, 2016, 05:51:50 AM »

My reality:

Speaking as someone with food intolerances (onion & garlic, dairy a bit), this woman is a moron. I cannot eat milk, cream, soft cheese or ice cream without suffering. I do not react by carrying on with a normal dairy-heavy diet and paying through the nose for substitutes. The only substitutes we buy are almond milk (but I only have this on cereal and occasionally when baking so we don't get through much) and about two tubs of special ice cream a year when it all gets too much.

You know what's naturally gluten free? Rice. Potatoes. Quinoa (I think, or buckwheat, I forget). Rice noodles. Corn tortillas. Oats. Gluten free flour mixes which only cost a bit more than normal flour. Oatcakes. Rice cakes. Need I go on? That's loads of things! I'd say maybe one loaf of bread a month is reasonable (because no bread ever = sadtimes), and $8/month is not unaffordable.
My mom got bit by that tick that makes you allergic to eating mammals.  So no beef, pork, or lamb.  She eats a lot of chicken, turkey, and fish.  She carries an epi-pen around incase they sneak bacon into some of her food, which is pretty common in the south.

My friend has an allergy to raw fruits and vegetables.  Any vegetable she eats has to be cook, and pretty thoroughly.  I believe if she eats them raw, she then spends the next few days within 15 feet of a bathroom.

Somehow they're both still alive, and I haven't heard one complain about the $$ cost of their food.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #4718 on: July 15, 2016, 07:24:55 AM »
This talk of shoes for baby remind me of a short story reportedly written by Hemingway.

"For sale: Baby shoes, never worn."
"Buying: Baby clothes. Selling: Book on contraception, very confusing"

My mom got bit by that tick that makes you allergic to eating mammals.
Wait, what???

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4719 on: July 15, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »
My mom got bit by that tick that makes you allergic to eating mammals.
Wait, what???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy

I just learned about this last year - it happened to my coworker's wife. It's crazy!

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #4720 on: July 15, 2016, 07:41:29 AM »
I wonder why people post pictures of their new vehicles so often? Is this something they're proud of? Was it difficult, but whew! they made it!?

I always find it hilarious when people are like "OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!"... it's not like they graduated from college or climbed Mt. Everest or anything else that's actually an achievement worthy of congratulation.

I always want to comment "Congratulations on not having abysmal credit and qualifying for your loan!"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:43:11 AM by armueller2001 »

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4721 on: July 15, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »
I wonder why people post pictures of their new vehicles so often? Is this something they're proud of? Was it difficult, but whew! they made it!?

I always find it hilarious when people are like "OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!"... it's not like they graduated from college or climbed Mt. Everest or anything else that's actually an achievement worthy of congratulation.

On my feed people seem to buy a new car as soon as they graduate, so it's sort of a 2-for-1 deal. It's sad to see all the congratulations though when I know for a fact many of the buyers don't even have $500 in savings. Just reinforces bad decision making!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4722 on: July 15, 2016, 11:04:52 AM »

On my feed people seem to buy a new car as soon as they graduate, so it's sort of a 2-for-1 deal. It's sad to see all the congratulations though when I know for a fact many of the buyers don't even have $500 in savings. Just reinforces bad decision making!

Right? Except on my feed it was all "Plane ticket to Iceland! YOLO" and "Off to the Electric Forest Festival ya'll!"   At least a car has some residual value if you need to sell it later...

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4723 on: July 15, 2016, 11:20:03 AM »

Right? Except on my feed it was all "Plane ticket to Iceland! YOLO" and "Off to the Electric Forest Festival ya'll!"   At least a car has some residual value if you need to sell it later...
But wait, I thought you were supposed to spend your money on experiences not things! 

Have I got this wrong?  Should i stop traveling and doing activities i love and start buying stuff instead?

/sarc

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4724 on: July 15, 2016, 11:28:32 AM »
You should probably start doing what makes you happy, regardless of what your Facebook friends think.  If you think  experiences like driving your dream car down the twisty backroads that love or taking on The Dragon with your new motorcycle or buying a plane ride to a distant country to take selfies by a frozen waterfall with a hundred other tourists are more important than financial security, then yes, you should continue to do them, and be a bit less judgemental of others who do the same.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4725 on: July 15, 2016, 12:30:46 PM »

But wait, I thought you were supposed to spend your money on experiences not things! 

Have I got this wrong?  Should i stop traveling and doing activities i love and start buying stuff instead?

/sarc

Then you get to experience crushing debt.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4726 on: July 15, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »

I always want to comment "Congratulations on not having abysmal credit and qualifying for your loan!"

If I posted a picture of a candy bar I bought I don't think people would congratulates me. *pout*

More seriously - I know some people do consider it an achievement to be able to spend that much money on something but I don't think they stop to consider that if something is financed then it's not really their money that was spent (up front at least). I also assume that if they're posting a picture of it to Facebook it's probably financed. This may be unfair of me.

I guess you don't surf instagram? Plenty of food pics there.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4727 on: July 16, 2016, 09:14:56 AM »
I bought a new car with cash a few years ago, and I did post a pic on facebook.  I wonder how many of the people who saw that pic realized that I paid for it in cash?

I don't think the dealership even kept track of that.  Got a call last month asking if I'd be interested in a new car if they could keep my payments the same.  Um, if you can get me a new car with just the trade in of my old car?  Still no, I've just gotten this thing broken in, it only has 25K miles on it!

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4728 on: July 16, 2016, 09:26:19 AM »
I bought a new car with cash a few years ago, and I did post a pic on facebook.  I wonder how many of the people who saw that pic realized that I paid for it in cash?

I was thinking the same thing -- all these people on the forum assuming that a photo of a new car equals financing and other consumer debt, that's jumping to conclusions quite a bit.  It may be a reasonable assumption in many cases, but certainly not all!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4729 on: July 16, 2016, 10:00:44 PM »
Let's all make stupid, non-responsible decisions based only on instant gratification and not worry about the future, the money will appear magically.

I agree! If one consciously chooses to enjoy some of the prime years of their life, with the knowledge that they  may have to work into their fifties or sixties before they can retire, that's freaking awesome!  I'm sure they'll be incredibly happy in their decision.

I wouldn't call money appearing in the future 'magic', but the amount of available capital slushing around the world, and the impossible number of ways to obtain some of it, is truly awesome, on the magnitude of an actively exploding volcano!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4730 on: July 17, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
Let's all make stupid, non-responsible decisions based only on instant gratification and not worry about the future, the money will appear magically.

I agree! If one consciously chooses to enjoy some of the prime years of their life, with the knowledge that they  may have to work into their fifties or sixties before they can retire, that's freaking awesome!  I'm sure they'll be incredibly happy in their decision.

I wouldn't call money appearing in the future 'magic', but the amount of available capital slushing around the world, and the impossible number of ways to obtain some of it, is truly awesome, on the magnitude of an actively exploding volcano!
Well, to be the counter point, I know a number of people in their 50s and 60s who cannot find work.  Everything from skilled engineers to people in construction (who can find work but cannot physically do the work anymore) to people in the film industry (I know a few cameramen, for example, who are in their 50s and whose bodies cannot handle the current trend of "carrying around the camera").

I had a conversation with a consultant in his 50s or 60s, recently, who described himself as "unemployable" (and he has been for about a decade).  He consults for companies - 2 years here, 3 years there.  He's one of the lucky ones.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4731 on: July 17, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
Just found on my Facebook wall, posted by one of my former colleagues. Translated into english it means: "I don't spend, I reward myself" (in French, these two words rhyme). Ugh.

Her comment that she put along with it was that it's "good for the soul".

Like many French maxims, this can be read in more than one way. We can read it as a rationalization of (over-)spending as a reward to oneself, which is of course repugnant, or we can read it as a renunciation of overspending in order to truly reward oneself in the long term, which is brilliantly Mustachian.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4732 on: July 17, 2016, 02:24:10 PM »
Just found on my Facebook wall, posted by one of my former colleagues. Translated into english it means: "I don't spend, I reward myself" (in French, these two words rhyme). Ugh.

Like many French maxims, this can be read in more than one way. We can read it as a rationalization of (over-)spending as a reward to oneself, which is of course repugnant, or we can read it as a renunciation of overspending in order to truly reward oneself in the long term, which is brilliantly Mustachian.

That cool!  American maxims are similar... For example:

"I don't shut up, I grow up, and when I look at you I throw up"

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4733 on: July 17, 2016, 05:06:34 PM »

ಠ_ಠ

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4734 on: July 17, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »

You forgot the last line!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsSA_C4Tfm8

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4735 on: July 17, 2016, 05:42:02 PM »

I was thinking the same thing -- all these people on the forum assuming that a photo of a new car equals financing and other consumer debt, that's jumping to conclusions quite a bit.  It may be a reasonable assumption in many cases, but certainly not all!

With no other context that conclusion might be reaching; however, I usually make that assumption when I know the person posting the pic is not the saving type.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4736 on: July 17, 2016, 06:09:09 PM »
I posted a picture of a sports car that was borrowed  to me for a few weeks parked in the driveway of my house. I can only imagine what everyone thought a jobless wonder was doing with a mid five-figure vehicle...  So appearances can be misleading.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4737 on: July 17, 2016, 09:38:56 PM »
I posted a picture of a sports car that was borrowed  to me for a few weeks parked in the driveway of my house. I can only imagine what everyone thought a jobless wonder was doing with a mid five-figure vehicle...  So appearances can be misleading.

In the space of three days, my husband brought home three performance cars totalling $1 million.

Word in our apartment building is that we're drug dealers.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4738 on: July 17, 2016, 09:48:53 PM »

Not sure if that makes you more or less safe... Will probably keep the trick-or-treaters away at any rate. :D

I don't think the price of all of the privately owned vehicles I've driven in my life would total 1.5 million USD...

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4739 on: July 18, 2016, 04:45:56 AM »

In the space of three days, my husband brought home three performance cars totalling $1 million.

Eye skipped the bolded word first time around. Spat out coffee. Thought you were horribly lost in mmm. Reread with more care. Chuckled. Reread and identified that you didn't specify that cars were not purchased by husband. Concerned.

Please confirm that you/husband did not buy $1 million of cars in three days.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4740 on: July 18, 2016, 05:08:23 AM »

Eye skipped the bolded word first time around. Spat out coffee. Thought you were horribly lost in mmm. Reread with more care. Chuckled. Reread and identified that you didn't specify that cars were not purchased by husband. Concerned.

Please confirm that you/husband did not buy $1 million of cars in three days.

Work perk. He did not buy them.

Sorry about your coffee. :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4741 on: July 18, 2016, 07:07:42 AM »
With no other context that conclusion might be reaching; however, I usually make that assumption when I know the person posting the pic is not the saving type.

True. In my case all the people that I think would be likely to post pictures of a new car purchase, given the other kinds of things they post about, are also the people who are not good at saving.

This. Every single person I know who has posted bragging pictures of a new car/truck has been whining about car payments within 2 months.

We're gonna need a second car in 18 months. We'll probably get another Honda Fit, since our current one suits our needs so well. We'all buy it cash, unless the dealer has a 0% financing that makes more sense in the long run. And we won't be posting pictures online - of all tacky and ostentatious things to do.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4742 on: July 18, 2016, 07:26:24 AM »

Not sure if that makes you more or less safe... Will probably keep the trick-or-treaters away at any rate. :D

I don't think the price of all of the privately owned vehicles I've driven in my life would total 1.5 million USD...

I'm not sure that all ~30 of the cars I've owned would total $125K. ;)

(When I was single I R&R'd cars to sell. I basically drove for free for a long time).

That silver Ford truck picture was so similar to one that someone posted on FB that my DW knows that I thought we knew the same people. Alas, wrong state. That friend is all googly eyes about a p/u after recently buying another type of vehicle. Can't really afford either one (we hear about their financial difficulties).

I love cars and trucks new and old. Fascinated by some of them. Still not really sure why anyone would want a painful budget to own one that they could not afford. Can't go anywhere. Can't afford to do anything. Always stressed. Why not rent one once a year and go on a driving vacation?

Or - what I tell some people with that itch for a new car - get whatever you already owned detailed and see if that renews the love a little.  If nothing else it might bring more money if they sell it.

I detail my own cars for nearly nothing for the cost of some soap, etc. but I recognize the average person won't be bothered and would rather pay someone.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:32:17 AM by Mybigtoe »

[a]bort

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4743 on: July 18, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
Someone posted a crowd funding campaign to get a growth surgically removed from his dogs face. It's only $300, but he doesn't have the money because, "I can't find a job I like in my field of graphic design."

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4744 on: July 18, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »
Someone posted a crowd funding campaign to get a growth surgically removed from his dogs face. It's only $300, but he doesn't have the money because, "I can't find a job I like in my field of graphic design."

Oh god this is like when my brother quits his job because 'he's not happy there'. Or my SIL refuses to go find a job because 'I don't think I'd like it'. Like, I don't fucking work for my health, and I've stayed in jobs that made me unhappy while actively working to find one that would make me less so, because I have responsibilities to meet and I don't want to drain my savings/mooch from my family while I find something that makes ME happy (and thus stick my family with staying in jobs that don't make THEM happy to benefit ME...). In other words: if you're hustling and need help, I'll see what I can do. If you're watching vintage Dr Who in the basement all day and asking for cash, try another sucker.

If you have the funds to supply your own needs, don't work, sure. Mustachianism yay! But if you're begging for cash from everyone you know, then... maybe do something you don't like, get on your feet, and move on to something better from there.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4745 on: July 18, 2016, 08:59:50 AM »

Oh god this is like when my brother quits his job because 'he's not happy there'. Or my SIL refuses to go find a job because 'I don't think I'd like it'.

Well said. I like my job most of the days, but about a quarter of them I absolute loathe it. This for me is motivation to do a great job, and get out of Dodge as soon as possible.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #4746 on: July 18, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »

Oh god this is like when my brother quits his job because 'he's not happy there'. Or my SIL refuses to go find a job because 'I don't think I'd like it'.

Well said. I like my job most of the days, but about a quarter of them I absolute loathe it. This for me is motivation to do a great job, and get out of Dodge as soon as possible.
One of my buddies from high school actually got a graphic design job after a few months of searching around after graduation.  He moved halfway across the country to Florida, then quit 3 months later because he didn't like it.  He's back home with his mom now.

In his defense, he's working full time at a retail store and looking for another design job, doing one-off work where he can find it for now.  I would have given the Florida job at least a year before deciding to move all the way back to Ohio, though.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4747 on: July 18, 2016, 09:19:29 AM »
I know one that hasn't been able to find a graphic design job since the Great Recession. Has lived in the family basement ever since. I think there are other issues. ;)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4748 on: July 18, 2016, 09:54:02 AM »
Oh god this is like when my brother quits his job because 'he's not happy there'. Or my SIL refuses to go find a job because 'I don't think I'd like it'. Like, I don't fucking work for my health, and I've stayed in jobs that made me unhappy while actively working to find one that would make me less so, because I have responsibilities to meet and I don't want to drain my savings/mooch from my family while I find something that makes ME happy (and thus stick my family with staying in jobs that don't make THEM happy to benefit ME...). In other words: if you're hustling and need help, I'll see what I can do. If you're watching vintage Dr Who in the basement all day and asking for cash, try another sucker.

If you have the funds to supply your own needs, don't work, sure. Mustachianism yay! But if you're begging for cash from everyone you know, then... maybe do something you don't like, get on your feet, and move on to something better from there.

YES!!!  Would you believe that every boss my brother ever had in his teens and 20's was an "asshole," and so he was right to tell off each of them, quit the job, and take several months on break, mooching off mom and dad, before looking for a new job?

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4749 on: July 18, 2016, 09:59:01 AM »

Makes me think back to my jerk bosses.

Boss 1: Expected me to do my job without supervision. What a jerk.

Boss 2: Would spend an hour swearing at us each morning and then make us stand in line and recite the company motto. Actual jerk

Boss 3: Asked me to commit credit card fraud for him. Other than that, not bad.

YES!!!  Would you believe that every boss my brother ever had in his teens and 20's was an "asshole," and so he was right to tell off each of them, quit the job, and take several months on break, mooching off mom and dad, before looking for a new job?