Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082377 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8500 on: June 01, 2021, 09:37:10 AM »
Hurray, another thread that has turned into a political debate

well it is "overheard on facebook" and it seems most of what I see on facebook is political debates :P

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8501 on: June 01, 2021, 10:20:11 AM »
Hurray, another thread that has turned into a political debate

well it is "overheard on facebook" and it seems most of what I see on facebook is political debates :P

I have about five people in my news feed because I figured out the "take a break" feature.

PSA: It isn't good to respond to hateful or offensive posts. The way the algorithm works means that any comment, even if you are disagreeing, gives that post more visibility, so it just gets spread around more. The best thing is to pm the person and ask if they really meant what they said.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8502 on: June 01, 2021, 11:12:30 AM »
I remember when Facebook was only us cool and good looking college kids. Then they let the old and ugly in and down it went. Ugh, why do adults have to ruin everything?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8503 on: June 01, 2021, 01:08:30 PM »
I remember when Facebook was only us cool and good looking college kids. Then they let the old and ugly in and down it went. Ugh, why do adults have to ruin everything?

ok boomer

amidoinitrite

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #8504 on: June 02, 2021, 12:25:13 AM »

GET OFF MY LAWN

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8505 on: June 02, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »

I remember when the cool kids were using friendster and myspace . . . before this weird upstart facebook came along.  :P

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8506 on: June 02, 2021, 12:44:40 PM »

I remember when the cool kids were using friendster and myspace . . . before this weird upstart facebook came along.  :P
Listen punk, everyone born 3 years before me is lame and outdated, everyone born 3 years after me is lame and entitled.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8507 on: June 02, 2021, 12:49:33 PM »

Listen punk, everyone born 3 years before me is lame and outdated, everyone born 3 years after me is lame and entitled.

Some of us are lame, outdated, AND entitled.  Where do we fit in?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8508 on: June 02, 2021, 01:39:43 PM »

People born between 3 years before me and 3 years after me

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8509 on: June 02, 2021, 02:29:51 PM »

I was listening to a "Gen X" play list last weekend and when the Village Peoples YMCA came on I thought, 'whats up with this classic rock old junk', thinking Gen X was just Nirvana and RATM and forgetting I am lumped in with those born waaaaay back in '65 :-)

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8510 on: June 02, 2021, 02:52:10 PM »

I was listening to a "Gen X" play list last weekend and when the Village Peoples YMCA came on I thought, 'whats up with this classic rock old junk', thinking Gen X was just Nirvana and RATM and forgetting I am lumped in with those born waaaaay back in '65 :-)

See it's weird being on the cusp of generations, because my first thought reading this was, "Hey what's this old guy doing claiming Nirvana and RATM for Gen X", I'm a millennial and listened to them in school. But I'm just on the other side of the cut-off, and my older brother is Gen X, so I guess it checks out.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8511 on: June 02, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »

See it's weird being on the cusp of generations, because my first thought reading this was, "Hey what's this old guy doing claiming Nirvana and RATM for Gen X", I'm a millennial and listened to them in school. But I'm just on the other side of the cut-off, and my older brother is Gen X, so I guess it checks out.

I was born in '81 . . . which is usually listed as Millennial.  And fully claim Nirvana and RATM for my people.  But if you're upset about that I'm willing to give you Nickleback AND Creed.  For free!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8512 on: June 02, 2021, 03:20:00 PM »
Quote from: dragoncar link=topic=6907.msg2850856#msg2850856 date=1622662783

[quote author=GuitarStv link=topic=6907.msg2850824#msg2850824 date=1622659773

I was born in '81 . . . which is usually listed as Millennial.  And fully claim Nirvana and RATM for my people.  But if you're upset about that I'm willing to give you Nickleback AND Creed.  For free!
[/quote]

Hey now, you keep Nickelback on your side of the border.  I am just under the cutoff, and ended up changing to a millennial playlist...

Edit: stupid smart phones
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 03:26:50 PM by AlanStache »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8513 on: June 02, 2021, 04:34:24 PM »
I just heard a story about a 60-something in our community having to teach a 30-something how to use Facebook for her political campaign because the 30-something didn’t have a Facebook account. Apparently it’s only the old fogies use FB now. The youngsters are on Instagram, Snapchat, and Tiktok.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8514 on: June 02, 2021, 04:39:13 PM »
I just heard a story about a 60-something in our community having to teach a 30-something how to use Facebook for her political campaign because the 30-something didn’t have a Facebook account. Apparently it’s only the old fogies use FB now. The youngsters are on Instagram, Snapchat, and Tiktok.

I mean the advertising platform is a whole other ball of worms

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8515 on: June 02, 2021, 04:50:56 PM »

That was probably part of it, but the 30-something hadn’t used FB at all, so the learning curve was even steeper.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8516 on: June 03, 2021, 06:47:50 AM »

That was probably part of it, but the 30-something hadn’t used FB at all, so the learning curve was even steeper.

That's so odd. I'm 33, and I was in college when Facebook was only available for college students, so that 30-something should be the right age to have been young when FB was "hip."

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8517 on: June 03, 2021, 07:04:08 AM »

I was in college when FB came out and I remember thinking it was stupid. I only signed up after having my first baby at age 33. I can't think of a good reason why anyone would need help though.
Just don't "name a live show that ages you"

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8518 on: June 03, 2021, 07:39:37 AM »
Just don't "name a live show that ages you"

A show that ages you? Well, there was that one time I went to an 11-hour indoor show with no chairs and stone floors, I'm pretty sure that took a few years off my knees.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8519 on: June 03, 2021, 09:51:34 AM »

This is a great example of why binning people into "generations" is stupid. Time/dates/age are continuous variables and should remain that way. The difference between a 34 year old and a 36 year old (for example) isn't huge just b/c they are opposite sides of a generation post.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8520 on: June 03, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
Everyone who keeps replying to quote blocks past 3 levels deep belongs to the worst generation.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8521 on: June 03, 2021, 10:28:11 AM »
Everyone who keeps replying to quote blocks past 3 levels deep belongs to the worst generation.

I agree completely!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8522 on: June 03, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »

I agree completely!

I’m so glad someone finally said it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8523 on: June 03, 2021, 01:17:35 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8524 on: June 03, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!
I was trying to find the thread where nested quotes got so bad that the innermost quote was only 2 letters long.    I wanted to point out the results before this thread got that bad.  I thought it was in Overheard at Work (the original thread), but I couldn't find it.  Probably for the best.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8525 on: June 03, 2021, 02:15:14 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!
I was trying to find the thread where nested quotes got so bad that the innermost quote was only 2 letters long.    I wanted to point out the results before this thread got that bad.  I thought it was in Overheard at Work (the original thread), but I couldn't find it.  Probably for the best.

You know you posted a goal and not a warning right? :-)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8526 on: June 03, 2021, 03:23:31 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!

Yes,
And the nested thread _might_ have been in the portion of the thread with orange and black boxes, all packed in lots of foam.  Or else it was just punny.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8527 on: June 04, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!

Yes,
And the nested thread _might_ have been in the portion of the thread with orange and black boxes, all packed in lots of foam.  Or else it was just punny.
How deep do the nested quotes go? Is it like Inception where we’re not sure what reality is?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8528 on: June 04, 2021, 03:33:43 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!

Yes,
How deep do the nested quotes go? Is it like Inception where we’re not sure what reality is?

Are you going to make me go and nest in the ongoing discussion on "reality" from that other thread?

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8529 on: June 04, 2021, 03:34:42 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!

Yes,

Are you going to make me go and nest in the ongoing discussion on "reality" from that other thread?
Maybe.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8530 on: June 04, 2021, 03:39:18 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!

Yes,

Maybe.
:D

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8531 on: June 04, 2021, 03:44:28 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!

Yes,

Maybe.
@Paul der Krake - it’s starting to look cool, isn’t it?  ;-)

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #8532 on: June 04, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8533 on: June 04, 2021, 05:16:52 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!

Yes,

Maybe.

It's important to stress-test systems to see where the limits are. So far so good. Who woke up today and chose chaos?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8534 on: June 04, 2021, 05:30:32 PM »

I agree completely!

I like the pretty boxes!

Yes,

Maybe.

It's important to stress-test systems to see where the limits are. So far so good. Who woke up today and chose chaos?

Me? I'll join the party! After all, it's Friday.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8535 on: June 04, 2021, 05:32:50 PM »

🌈🌈 ARE 🌈 YOU 🌈 NOT 🌈 ENTERTAINED? 🌈🌈    🍆

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8536 on: June 04, 2021, 05:52:32 PM »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8537 on: June 04, 2021, 05:58:50 PM »

I’m in for chaos. Game on.

Gas-man

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8538 on: June 08, 2021, 11:13:28 AM »

I’m in for chaos. Game on.

Sure beats working.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8539 on: June 08, 2021, 02:14:21 PM »
Cool! You can slide the slider bar embedded in news scroll. That entertained me.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8540 on: June 28, 2021, 06:54:47 AM »
Saw this on my feed. How to tell people you don't know how to meal plan without saying you don't know how to meal plan.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8541 on: June 28, 2021, 06:57:43 AM »
They aren't wrong about calories per dollar at McDonalds vs fruit.

But I'm still struggling to understand how that added up to $32.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8542 on: June 28, 2021, 07:19:50 AM »
But I'm still struggling to understand how that added up to $32.

I just did a guesstimate based on prices at my local Manhattan Whole Foods, if you bought them all organic the fruit would be about $25. Maybe the soft drink is artisanal... or more likely the grapes were especially big bunches.

Whole Foods is actually cheaper than a lot of other grocery stores in Manhattan, especially lower Manhattan, so if they live somewhere like that, I could believe it. Not that it's a good way to make a point for the population at large...

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8543 on: June 28, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »
At least it easy to make dinner...

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8544 on: July 02, 2021, 02:25:01 PM »
If this isn't allowed, please delete.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8545 on: July 03, 2021, 02:37:22 AM »

This drives me nuts on Facebook groups. Like if you have posted something that isn't allowed but not given your specific permission, the mods won't delete it. I have been a mod. I zapped posts appropriately whether I was "allowed" by the poster or not.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8546 on: July 03, 2021, 07:03:32 AM »

This drives me nuts on Facebook groups. Like if you have posted something that isn't allowed but not given your specific permission, the mods won't delete it. I have been a mod. I zapped posts appropriately whether I was "allowed" by the poster or not.

They are just trying to tell you they aren't an ass, they're just not sure of the rules.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8547 on: July 03, 2021, 07:19:36 AM »

They are just trying to tell you they aren't an ass, they're just not sure of the rules.

They are admitting don’t care about the rules and are too lazy to look at the sticky post. IMHO it marks them as an ass.

Similarly, those posts on social media (and here!) where the op clearly hasn’t googled first. Uuuurggh.

And the posts where the subject line doesn’t give you any context. Uuurgh.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8548 on: July 03, 2021, 07:26:33 AM »

They are admitting don’t care about the rules and are too lazy to look at the sticky post. IMHO it marks them as an ass.

Similarly, those posts on social media (and here!) where the op clearly hasn’t googled first. Uuuurggh.

And the posts where the subject line doesn’t give you any context. Uuurgh.

Sometimes the rules aren't clearly written or just don't say.   Sometimes the moderators enforce rules that aren't written and don't enforce rules that are.      And sometimes you're right, they are too lazy to look up the rules.

As for the rest, yep, agree completely.   Then again, remember that half of all people are dumber than average -- and average isn't all that smart.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8549 on: July 03, 2021, 08:45:48 AM »

I'm talking things like posting "Can anyone recommend a local plumber?" in a "Local recommendations" group or "I have these cloth nappies for sale" in a "Cloth nappy sales" group.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!