Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082169 times)

tariskat

• Bristles
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »
If I had the option to purchase Robert Downey Jr the week of payday I'd be poor too. Between three jobs, I get paid frequently. He'd never act again.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
one of my old roommates had previously posted about how he was going to use his bonus to splurge and upgrade his TV, and then put the rest towards student loans. okay, a compromise, not terrible. the other day he posted again asking for recommendations as he was trying to choose between two TVs. actual response from one girl: "Vizio is worth the extra $. Don't be cheap, you worked hard you deserve it. Why get a dumb TV when you can have a nice smart TV. you have my blessing to be a TV snob. Lol do it up! In fact, throw in the Xbox today!! :)"

ugh, I hope she was kidding/being sarcastic, but I feel like she wasn't. :( anytime I hear someone say "you worked hard, you deserve it!" wrt purchasing something (as opposed to, say, asking for a raise or taking a nap) I feel ill.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2014, 01:25:16 PM »
one of my old roommates had previously posted about how he was going to use his bonus to splurge and upgrade his TV, and then put the rest towards student loans. okay, a compromise, not terrible. the other day he posted again asking for recommendations as he was trying to choose between two TVs. actual response from one girl: "Vizio is worth the extra $. Don't be cheap, you worked hard you deserve it. Why get a dumb TV when you can have a nice smart TV. you have my blessing to be a TV snob. Lol do it up! In fact, throw in the Xbox today!! :)"

ugh, I hope she was kidding/being sarcastic, but I feel like she wasn't. :( anytime I hear someone say "you worked hard, you deserve it!" wrt purchasing something (as opposed to, say, asking for a raise or taking a nap) I feel ill.

Sounds like she works at Best Buy

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »
actual response from one girl: "Vizio is worth the extra $. Don't be cheap, you worked hard you deserve it.

That's funny because Vizio is usually considered a budget brand, not known for amazing picture quality or features.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »

Sounds like she works at Best Buy

haha, I know, right?!?

actual response from one girl: "Vizio is worth the extra $. Don't be cheap, you worked hard you deserve it.

That's funny because Vizio is usually considered a budget brand, not known for amazing picture quality or features.

I kind of thought so too. I can't remember what the other brand was that he was considering getting... RCA maybe?

coconutpop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #255 on: February 28, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
Why cant I find the right guy? all guys are assholes, I jut want a true gentleman.

We go on her wall and she just made a video of her twerking in a thong and half her pics are her clubbing and drinking in clothes that would put a hooker to shame.

stratagic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2014, 12:38:26 PM »
In the span of one week (not a direct copy/paste just in case):

- going on a trip and "complaining" about 1,320 tix
- bought a new gas range, remodeling bathroom, and getting a new sofa for "man cave"

This last was all mentioned in one post, I'm serious.

meanwhile, the SO of the same person fb status:
 - Bought a big flatscreen that doesn't fit on the old tv stand

of course person chims in on SO's post about having to buy a new tv stand for SO.

Outside the world of fb, this person is living off unemployment check while in school and SO was just demoted to a 30k job + commissions this past Jan.

I. Just. Don't. Understand.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »
Why cant I find the right guy? all guys are assholes, I jut want a true gentleman.

We go on her wall and she just made a video of her twerking in a thong and half her pics are her clubbing and drinking in clothes that would put a hooker to shame.

In the spirit of friendly advice: watch that train of thought before you try to justify assault or abuse with the same reasoning...

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2014, 08:08:58 AM »
Let's stick to making fun of people for financial stupidity in this thread. We can all agree on that.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2014, 08:13:03 AM »
Let's stick to making fun of people for financial stupidity in this thread. We can all agree on that.

^yup.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »

^yup.

Thongs offer the very least underwear material per dollar, and twerking unnecessarily increases calorie consumption.  Don't think I even have to explain why drinking at clubs is a financially poor decision.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:37:21 PM by dragoncar »

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
One FB friend posted a link to a GoFundMe page for a high school student she knows. Essentially he's asking for $1,500 to travel to Europe this summer. He's saved some money himself but now wants the rest funded by family, friends, and strangers so he can have a once in a lifetime experience. While I agree that would be a great experience for a high schooler, the method bothers me.

Also, some of the Lending Club requests are nuts. My dad does it and we were looking together. Some people want loans for a vacation or kitchen remodel. Ugh.

I just had a similar experience with an old friend from college.  He's soliciting donations for his daughter's gap year experience.  $17k.  No mention of how much she has saved (probably $0.00).  Evidently, the facebook post wasn't generating enough donations so he directly emailed a bunch of us.  I was quite frankly shocked.  I can't imagine him sending me email asking that I help fund her college education. She wants to do "Thinking Beyond Borders".  Uh, no sweetie.  Go to college now before it goes up another 10% and if you still want to do something like this join the Peace Corps afterwards.  If you can't afford the $17k to travel around the world, well, maybe you don't get to go. :-(

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: March 03, 2014, 04:06:45 PM »
I have seen friends I went to school with in England promoting a GoFundMe page for a girl to raise $15,000 to cross the pond and come study dance (I shit you not) at NYU. She already has a masters degree of some sorts in the arts.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #263 on: March 03, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »
Thongs offer the very least underwear material per dollar.

And yet these are the most suitable for me in certain situations. Cheaper than tape, at the least.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #264 on: March 03, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
... twerking unnecessarily increases calorie consumption.
Isn't that true of any exercise?  In fact I'd argue that twerking could be both healthy and entertaining activity, very mustachian on it's own, although the venue is likely expensive, maybe if she switched to house parties.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #265 on: March 03, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »
Thongs offer the very least underwear material per dollar.

And yet these are the most suitable for me in certain situations. Cheaper than tape, at the least.

LOL, thanks for correcting my typo. 

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2014, 07:12:16 AM »
One FB friend posted a link to a GoFundMe page for a high school student she knows. Essentially he's asking for $1,500 to travel to Europe this summer. He's saved some money himself but now wants the rest funded by family, friends, and strangers so he can have a once in a lifetime experience. While I agree that would be a great experience for a high schooler, the method bothers me.

Also, some of the Lending Club requests are nuts. My dad does it and we were looking together. Some people want loans for a vacation or kitchen remodel. Ugh.

I just had a similar experience with an old friend from college.  He's soliciting donations for his daughter's gap year experience.  $17k.  No mention of how much she has saved (probably $0.00).  Evidently, the facebook post wasn't generating enough donations so he directly emailed a bunch of us.  I was quite frankly shocked.  I can't imagine him sending me email asking that I help fund her college education. She wants to do "Thinking Beyond Borders".  Uh, no sweetie.  Go to college now before it goes up another 10% and if you still want to do something like this join the Peace Corps afterwards.  If you can't afford the $17k to travel around the world, well, maybe you don't get to go. :-(
How about she spends her "gap year" "Thinking" about how to fund her own experience and travel!   Soliciting donations use to be for people who were in dire straits (like a parent passes away or someone needs life-saving surgery or medicines), not so little missy can go frolicking....

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2014, 07:43:14 AM »

^yup.
I have to admit I'm intrigued by the idea that twerking in a thong or dressing like a hooker might not be the best way to attract a "true gentlemen" is controversial, but it's probably best to leave that alone.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2014, 03:13:55 PM »

^yup.
I have to admit I'm intrigued by the idea that twerking in a thong or dressing like a hooker might not be the best way to attract a "true gentlemen" is controversial, but it's probably best to leave that alone.

Dammit.  Now I'll have to change my true-gentleman-catching strategy!

Oops.  We're supposed to be sticking to financial topics.  How about that if I tried to twerk for reals I'd end up with an expensive back injury?  ;-)

coconutpop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
oops ok guys sorry for the side track, but for my defense she wrote in the comments of the video that her thong was a victoria secret, so she probably paid 50$+ for it.

I am pretty sure a lot of us are able to laugh at this. 

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: March 04, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
Ha, what kind of thong costs $50? I think fancy VS undies are $11 each (or so), or like 3/$30. Perhaps I know too much about this. But, you know, a person's gotta buy underpants.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #271 on: March 04, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
You can also score a lot of them free, I hear.  They never send me free underwear though :(

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »
You can also score a lot of them free, I hear.  They never send me free underwear though :(

Yup, I get the coupons at least once a quarter.  But if you just go in for the free stuff, the coupons stop coming!  :(  Now I toss all the coupons unless it's a style of underwear I wear.  I get about 2 pairs/year this way & I laugh at the $13 price tag for a small patch of cotton and some strings. 

Kohls has generously provided me with a substantial bath towel collection too.  They send $10 off $10 coupons, and I'm up for the challenge!  I pay about $1/towel out of pocket.  :)

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2014, 11:09:41 AM »
So that's why they stopped sending me those free coupons.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »

Yup, I get the coupons at least once a quarter.  But if you just go in for the free stuff, the coupons stop coming!  :(  Now I toss all the coupons unless it's a style of underwear I wear.  I get about 2 pairs/year this way & I laugh at the $13 price tag for a small patch of cotton and some strings. 

Kohls has generously provided me with a substantial bath towel collection too.  They send $10 off $10 coupons, and I'm up for the challenge!  I pay about $1/towel out of pocket.  :)

I get tons of free towels from hotels, and free thongs from the local laundromat.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »

I get tons of free towels from hotels, and free thongs from the local laundromat.

You win!!  I do take all the small toiletry bottles home from hotels.  I have a drawer full of them, for guests to use when they come over.  One day I'll dump them all into big containers and leave it in my shower to use...

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »
Ha, what kind of thong costs $50? I think fancy VS undies are $11 each (or so), or like 3/$30. Perhaps I know too much about this. But, you know, a person's gotta buy underpants.

Solid gold thongs? VS does also have some super fancy "designer wear for 10 minutes in the bedroom" styles that run about that much.

coconutpop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
Yup they actually have a lot of thongs at that price. In the defense of the girl her thong might be the ones at 10$, but I know my ex bought a sexy outfit from there which was a thong a bra and some kind of nuisete for 250$. Yup, my relationship with her did not last all that long.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
Yup they actually have a lot of thongs at that price. In the defense of the girl her thong might be the ones at 10$, but I know my ex bought a sexy outfit from there which was a thong a bra and some kind of nuisete for 250$. Yup, my relationship with her did not last all that long.

Two of my co-workers invited me to go run errands w/them one day.  Living in cubicle land, I go on these ventures every so often to foster the working relationship.  Errands turned into going to the mall.  Ugh, I can't stand malls right now, but whatever.  They went into two lingerie stores, and the second place was having a sale on these extremely padded bras.  Normally $60, they were down to buy two for $90, something like that.  Both girls are fairly attractive, and fairly well-endowed (C cups, as I came to find out).  I know better than to tell them about the VS bras you can get at Ross for $6, even though both these girls struggle financially.

So, I was dragged into this luxurious fitting room area, while they tried their bras on.  I pulled out my Kindle to read while waiting.  They both looked RIDICULOUS w/their new bras on, which adds two cup sizes!

Long story short, one girl charged both bras AND the matching underwear (how can you not buy the matching thong?), so they could get the discount.  The second girl promised to cut her a check on our next payday.  They wound up paying about $70/set, w/tax.  I don't think my entire bra collection cost me that much!

coconutpop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: March 07, 2014, 12:31:01 PM »
haha those are always funny.

I guess that is the price of getting from C to DD.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: March 07, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
oops ok guys sorry for the side track, but for my defense she wrote in the comments of the video that her thong was a victoria secret, so she probably paid 50$+ for it.

I am pretty sure a lot of us are able to laugh at this.

That depends on whether the model is included ;)

Did see one today which baffled me... It was a poster that said: Life is short, buy the shoes.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: March 07, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
Don't you guys know thongs go on your feet?

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #282 on: March 07, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
Don't you guys know thongs go on your feet?
Sooo many teachers at my school wear thongs to school, and they never get in trouble!

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #283 on: March 07, 2014, 11:06:42 PM »
Thong crack was one of the banes of my eyes some days in high school (and sometimes now). I really didn't need to know what underwear anyone was wearing or see a lot of crack, either gender. I did buy some thongs in the early days with my bf, normally buy 1 for 1$ and get one for free. For scraps of cloth it was a pretty good price. Now they just float between drawers and occasionally get snagged on other items and end up in awkward places sometimes. ( I once threw some comfy clothes and my laptop charger in my backpack and a thong came along for the ride at the friend's house when I grabbed the cord out.)

Not much overheard on facebook, but one of my cousins my age is still just working, and taking care of her kid. I'm glad I don't have kids yet and was able to go to college and get a career going. The teen pregnancies really dragged many of my cousins down before they got going in life. Their paychecks  could go a little bit further than mine because of the low cost of living in my hometown, but none of them have any emergency savings. Their emergency savings are their parents, aunts and uncles (excluding my mother, she was tired of being the life raft for someone unwilling to try to swim)

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2014, 11:19:39 PM »
Ugh, all these chicks keep posting pictures of their babies. I miss the good old days, when they'd post slutty pictures of themselves.

I hate babies.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #285 on: March 07, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
Actually, there IS some pretty funny whatnot on Facebook. Observe! This is a person paraphrasing their daughter

Daughter(On a Saturday): We're going to the park to play, because we like to have fun. You're going to work, because you like money.

Daughter (on Christmas): You told me this is the most special day all year. How can you have to work?

Dauther (tonight): I know you have to work to make money so we have food... and you help people... I wish you wanted to help me more than other people. I always miss you. All the time.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
Actually, there IS some pretty funny whatnot on Facebook. Observe! This is a person paraphrasing their daughter

Daughter(On a Saturday): We're going to the park to play, because we like to have fun. You're going to work, because you like money.

Daughter (on Christmas): You told me this is the most special day all year. How can you have to work?

Dauther (tonight): I know you have to work to make money so we have food... and you help people... I wish you wanted to help me more than other people. I always miss you. All the time.

Awwww.  That's not funny.

countdown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »
"We're too broke to go to a restaurant for lunch. Had to go to chik-fil-a instead."

Apparently, that's the frugal choice.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »
Man... And Chick-fil-a is expensive....

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »

Awwww.  That's not funny.

Seriously.  Someone is growing up with daddy issues.  I'm pretty sure she'll end up being a stripper.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: March 10, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »
Distant acquaintance after a trip to New York this weekend: "That moment when you're afraid to check your credit card and bank balances after vacation cause you really don't wanna know."

Bf's roommate (early 30's?): How does anyone own an actual house? Where do they get 40 to 60 thousand dollars for a down payment? ["best" reply: "Have a big wedding and use your wedding gifts toward the down payment, like we did!" And of course there were a number saying "well, you don't *really* have to... ]

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #291 on: March 10, 2014, 05:43:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure she'll end up being a stripper.
That's a pretty gross thing to say about a stranger's daughter.

Said daughter sounds more like she'll grow up to be mustachian, to me. She already figured out that working for a whole life is a bad option.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #292 on: March 10, 2014, 05:55:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure she'll end up being a stripper.
That's a pretty gross thing to say about a stranger's daughter.

Said daughter sounds more like she'll grow up to be mustachian, to me. She already figured out that working for a whole life is a bad option.

You clearly don't know many strippers

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #293 on: March 10, 2014, 08:46:55 AM »

And what does the parent do?  I have friends who routinely celebrate holidays on the day after because mom is a nurse and dad is a firefighter.  It sucks, but it's part of the profession...and I am thankful that those folks are holding down the fort while the rest of us are celbrating, even if it's hard to explain to the kiddos. 

Now if parent is just a workaholic and would rather spend time at work instead of with their kid...then there's a problem.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: March 11, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
Not quite Facebook, but I found out a family member's electric bill was $700.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2014, 07:10:05 AM »
"Well getting ready to turn in another app at the *Local Gas Station*! This will be my 3rd and hopefully lucky time trying!!!! Fingers crossed and praying for God to help me help myself!"

Every few months she posts that she's putting in a job application somewhere and "fingers crossed!". She just turned 25 and hasn't held a job for more than 6 months combined in her life and didn't make it through a full semester in college but seems to think that filling out an application a month is going to work for her.
She's also tried starting an animal rescue...while living in a trailer park, and selling tattoo designs...with no talent (I have zero artistic talent as well, I'm not being mean about it, but she is like me and cannot draw worth a damn). Basically every time she posts something I feel the need to hit my head on my desk

Hmm, seems to be trying, but misdirected.  Is this someone who might be receptive to some advice and guidance?  Maybe you could give her some tips on filling out her applications or getting some experience to help build some sort of resume?  End game:  us tax payers DO want her to learn to help herself.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #296 on: March 12, 2014, 08:24:50 PM »
Oh, I should have known that she's already reproduced.  *headdesk*

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #297 on: March 13, 2014, 05:03:57 PM »
"Well getting ready to turn in another app at the *Local Gas Station*! This will be my 3rd and hopefully lucky time trying!!!! Fingers crossed and praying for God to help me help myself!"

Every few months she posts that she's putting in a job application somewhere and "fingers crossed!". She just turned 25 and hasn't held a job for more than 6 months combined in her life and didn't make it through a full semester in college but seems to think that filling out an application a month is going to work for her.
She's also tried starting an animal rescue...while living in a trailer park, and selling tattoo designs...with no talent (I have zero artistic talent as well, I'm not being mean about it, but she is like me and cannot draw worth a damn). Basically every time she posts something I feel the need to hit my head on my desk

Hmm, seems to be trying, but misdirected.  Is this someone who might be receptive to some advice and guidance?  Maybe you could give her some tips on filling out her applications or getting some experience to help build some sort of resume?  End game:  us tax payers DO want her to learn to help herself.
I wish. I tried giving advice (and someone even commented on this post with the advice to talk to a manager instead of just waiting for them to call her). She's basically hopeless and doesn't understand life in general. Another example is that the state took away her two kids, held them in foster care for TWO YEARS trying to give her a chance to get her act together (there were no drugs or abuse, just idiots who can't maintain a house/boarderline hoarders) before finally terminating her rights and she swears the system is corrupt and it's not her fault. And since she's family I  have enough information to know that she is definitely not faultless in it
Sounds like a large population of my family, unfortunately. The ones that get jobs keep quitting them.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
Step daughter just posted that she's 'lost' the 4th wedding ring in 8 years of marriage.

We stopped acknowledging after the second time.

Either it's time for a newer, bigger, better one again or she just doesn't like being married?

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »
Step daughter just posted that she's 'lost' the 4th wedding ring in 8 years of marriage.

We stopped acknowledging after the second time.

Either it's time for a newer, bigger, better one again or she just doesn't like being married?

My husband has lost 3 in 4 years. (Occupational hazard. He's a musician and takes them off to play.) This is why we have cheap rings. And, for added nerd-cred, they're moebius strips.

I fully expected my hubby to lose his ring w/in the first year of marriage.  He's forgetful, and he doesn't like jewelry, so he takes it off all the time at home.  We "lost" it once for about 6 months, until I cleaned up out cardboard kitty scratcher.  Looks like the cats had found a shiny cool toy to play with!

Surprisingly, he didn't really lose it until our 11th year.  I bought him a few titanium ones for under $10 each, so no big deal if he loses them or if the cats find them.  ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!