Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082403 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4800 on: July 21, 2016, 07:17:20 AM »
I flat out don't understand fancy appliances.  I mean, they will all get your clothes clean, right?  I have a $600 Kenmore washer, the absolute cheapest one they sold at Sears and it works just fine.  It's white.

There are "podium washers" now that can run real small loads quickly- so like, you could do your delicates while running a regular load, or just throw in swimsuits after a pool trip, or a cub scout uniform real quick- something like that.  Seemed like an extravagant, but interesting idea.  They cost the same amount as a regular washer.  Are you freaking kidding me? 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4801 on: July 21, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
You just HAVE to buy the right washer and dryer so they will pair with your stove, fridge and dishwasher so they can alert you on their many screens that your laundry is 79% done, you're low on butter, and the dishwasher is ready to be unloaded.

They can also post this to your social media accounts so that everyone can see how cool your house is. Don't forget the driveway sensors that will tell you someone has arrived - that or the neighbor's cat walked across the driveway.

I love technology but some of this stuff is silly.

By the way these fictional appliances will all need to be replaced en-masse when one expires b/c then the new appliances would be on some other different communications standard and won't pair with the others...

We ran one set of white Whirpool (same as Kenmore I think) for ~18 years. A few temp senors were replaced in the dryer along the way by me for ~$50. They finally got creaky and leaky and I gave them to a used appliance guy. Bought the same white Whirpool pair closest to what we had before. Similar cost even. No displays, just a few knobs. Hoping for another ~18 years.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4802 on: July 21, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »

Didn't even try to diagnose the problem. Granted, the appliances she had were used when she got them, but the dryer is fine, yet they replaced it, too, so the appliances matched. *facepalm*

If the dryer was white and the new washer was going to be blue, they could have just gotten a different new dryer......if they were the same colour then that is a different level of obsessive.

Appliance spray paint is widely available and quite good these days, for anything except stoves, anyway.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4803 on: July 21, 2016, 09:39:32 AM »

Didn't even try to diagnose the problem. Granted, the appliances she had were used when she got them, but the dryer is fine, yet they replaced it, too, so the appliances matched. *facepalm*

If the dryer was white and the new washer was going to be blue, they could have just gotten a different new dryer......if they were the same colour then that is a different level of obsessive.

Appliance spray paint is widely available and quite good these days, for anything except stoves, anyway.

I think there is an app for that now.
You walk around your kitchen staring at your phone screen and it changes the color of your appliances to match

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4804 on: July 21, 2016, 10:55:01 AM »
pre-MMM we boughta somewhat fancypants washer/dryer set. they're whirlpool elites with the steam setting. problems

1) The frontload washer smells a dead animal. We have to prop the door open when we're not using it so it doesn't make our clothes reek.
2) The dryer steam setting never works
3) The dryer has a sensor that stops the machine once it deems the clothes are dry. This is horrendously inaccurate
4) iit has a digital screen, so I assume it will prematurely fail.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4805 on: July 21, 2016, 11:46:35 AM »
pre-MMM we boughta somewhat fancypants washer/dryer set. they're whirlpool elites with the steam setting. problems

1) The frontload washer smells a dead animal. We have to prop the door open when we're not using it so it doesn't make our clothes reek.
3) The dryer has a sensor that stops the machine once it deems the clothes are dry. This is horrendously inaccurate

There was/is a class action lawsuit about the front loading washer smells. We found switching to powder detergent and leaving the door propped open was enough to avoid the problem. We spent ~$1,800 on the washer/dryer set in 2008...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4806 on: July 21, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »

There was/is a class action lawsuit about the front loading washer smells. We found switching to powder detergent and leaving the door propped open was enough to avoid the problem. We spent ~$1,800 on the washer/dryer set in 2008...

Leaving the door propped open is 100% necessary, and a huge pain when there's a toddler who will sneak toys into the machine.

Also good: do a bleach or vinegar rinse every so often (and a second rinse to remove all bleach so it doesn't wreck your clothes). Scrub the rubber gasket around the edges. And, most important (and easily forgotten): EMPTY THE LINT TRAP OF THE WASHER. Most people don't, and it's where a lot of the smell comes from.

Barring that: front loaders suck and I HIGHLY regret our decision to have one. Thank god we got it on sale (1100 for washer AND dryer) years ago... when it gives out, top-loading machine for us.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #4807 on: July 21, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »
Barring that: front loaders suck and I HIGHLY regret our decision to have one. Thank god we got it on sale (1100 for washer AND dryer) years ago... when it gives out, top-loading machine for us.

Yeah, they really do. Unfortunately our laundry room is only wide enough for a single appliance because the washer and dryer are stacked. So we don't have a choice - has to be a front-loader. I hope they figure out how to improve those things.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4808 on: July 21, 2016, 01:26:27 PM »
I have a couple of FB friends who are currently planning their wedding.  One couple I know has been posting amazing pictures of the wedding venues they are considering.  From the looks of these places the wedding is going to be huge.  Each pictured is posted with the hashtag #GoingToBeInDebtForever

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4809 on: July 21, 2016, 01:29:47 PM »
I have a couple of FB friends who are currently planning their wedding.  One couple I know has been posting amazing pictures of the wedding venues they are considering.  From the looks of these places the wedding is going to be huge.  Each pictured is posted with the hashtag #GoingToBeInDebtForever

Not defending it, but I wonder if that's them trying to make a "we are paying for this ourselves" statement than "we are god awful with money".  Of course, it's probably both, but wedding planning without parental money or support (or, on the positive side, interference) felt really lonely for me.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4810 on: July 21, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
Unfortunately our laundry room is only wide enough for a single appliance because the washer and dryer are stacked. So we don't have a choice - has to be a front-loader. I hope they figure out how to improve those things.

My parents have a stacked W/D, and the washer is top-load.  It's a pain, because the door only opens about 45 degrees, but it works.  It's also really old, predating modern front-loaders, I think.  But they still exist! (Sort of.  It appears Kenmore has recently discontinued* this model, since I could only find it a the Sears outlet.)  It's all one unit, so if either washer or dryer breaks irreparably, the whole thing must be replaced.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:35:28 PM by Cherry Lane »

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4811 on: July 21, 2016, 01:37:57 PM »

Not defending it, but I wonder if that's them trying to make a "we are paying for this ourselves" statement than "we are god awful with money".  Of course, it's probably both, but wedding planning without parental money or support (or, on the positive side, interference) felt really lonely for me.

I'm not sure if they are footing the entire bill, but from their other FB posts they have decided to to go all out because #yolo

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4812 on: July 21, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »

Yeah - heard stories of different brand front loaders smelly odd. We bought the old fashioned top loader washer, front loader dryer. So far, so good.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #4813 on: July 21, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »

I'm not sure if they are footing the entire bill, but from their other FB posts they have decided to to go all out because #yolo
You only live once, but if you spend that much money on a wedding (and end up in debt), it's likely to not be your only one... (well, at least you're decently likely to get divorced)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:11:38 AM by nanu »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #4814 on: July 21, 2016, 05:13:40 PM »
Unfortunately our laundry room is only wide enough for a single appliance because the washer and dryer are stacked. So we don't have a choice - has to be a front-loader. I hope they figure out how to improve those things.

My parents have a stacked W/D, and the washer is top-load.  It's a pain, because the door only opens about 45 degrees, but it works.  It's also really old, predating modern front-loaders, I think.  But they still exist! (Sort of.  It appears Kenmore has recently discontinued* this model, since I could only find it a the Sears outlet.)  It's all one unit, so if either washer or dryer breaks irreparably, the whole thing must be replaced.

Huh, now that you mention it, I've seen those - I'd forgotten. True, it's a bummer if only one half breaks, but worth thinking about. Thanks!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4815 on: July 21, 2016, 05:23:20 PM »

Huh, now that you mention it, I've seen those - I'd forgotten. True, it's a bummer if only one half breaks, but worth thinking about. Thanks!

I have one of those.  It looks like they still make this one new: http://www.sears.com/kenmore-81432-24inch-3.8-cu-ft-gas-laundry/p-02681432000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=COuJxKbZhc4CFYcehgodkVUOZg&gclsrc=aw.ds

The capacity is smaller than a normal washer, and I think because I shove too much clothing in it I had to have it re... suspended?  balanced? but still better than a front loader.  The dryer is great, but mine is gas, and gas dryers are always great.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #4816 on: July 22, 2016, 09:03:18 AM »
I have a friend who keeps posting these travel memes. As far as I'm aware, travel 'experience' is not an accepted currency in our society, but I'm too polite to mention it.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4817 on: July 22, 2016, 10:52:44 AM »
I love travel like Kel loves orange soda, but you can't pay for hotel rooms with air. Money is a factor and it needs to be considered.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4818 on: July 22, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »
I have a friend who keeps posting these travel memes. As far as I'm aware, travel 'experience' is not an accepted currency in our society, but I'm too polite to mention it.

Argh. Sure, yes. Travel while you're young and able. But do it while planning for it monetarily, instead of just assuming the universe will "make it work" Tim Gunn-style.

Sort of related, I grew up in a religious culture where people are urged to have as many kids as possible as early as possible (usually when the new couple is still broke and in college). Any resistance on the score of wanting to be financially stable first was met with a never-ending mantra of "things will work out" and "the Lord will provide."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4819 on: July 22, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »

Sort of related, I grew up in a religious culture where people are urged to have as many kids as possible as early as possible (usually when the new couple is still broke and in college). Any resistance on the score of wanting to be financially stable first was met with a never-ending mantra of "things will work out" and "the Lord will provide."

Yeah, the last time someone said something like that I laughed out loud, nearly spilling my drink. I received a death glare from the lady that was talking...apparently she's getting married and they are going to be living in her parent's basement, but "The Lord will provide."

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4820 on: July 22, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »

Yeah, the last time someone said something like that I laughed out loud, nearly spilling my drink. I received a death glare from the lady that was talking...apparently she's getting married and they are going to be living in her parent's basement, but "The Lord will provide."

A huge portion of single family homes in SLC have basement apartments for precisely this purpose :) both my parents and in-laws have one (which was actually great, because we lived there while I was in law school so I didn't have to take out student loans). Next time someone tells me that I'll ask them how to submit my direct deposit information to God.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4821 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
Hold up now. The Lord does provide. He provided us with brains and bodies to work to get ourselves to stable financial positions so we don't have to bring up our children in squalor, or by mooching off our parents.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4822 on: July 22, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »
Hold up now. The Lord does provide. He provided us with brains and bodies to work to get ourselves to stable financial positions so we don't have to bring up our children in squalor, or by mooching off our parents.

Yup! This reminds me of a scene in "Kingdom of Heaven"

Mullah: [the mullah pays a visit to Saladin in his tent after the battle at Kerak] Why did we retire? Why? God did not favor them. God alone determines the results of battles.
Saladin: The results of battles ARE determined by God, but also by preparation, numbers, the absence of disease, and the availability of water. One cannot maintain a siege with the enemy behind. How many battles did God win for the Muslims before I came... that is, before God determined that I should come?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4823 on: July 22, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »

Had one of those. It's horrible. Don't get it. Tiny loads, and mine went out of balance ALL THE TIME.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4824 on: July 22, 2016, 04:36:42 PM »

Had one of those. It's horrible. Don't get it. Tiny loads, and mine went out of balance ALL THE TIME.

But if the alternative is a front loader, I'd take the tiny stacked machines.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4825 on: July 22, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »

Also good: do a bleach or vinegar rinse every so often (and a second rinse to remove all bleach so it doesn't wreck your clothes). Scrub the rubber gasket around the edges. And, most important (and easily forgotten): EMPTY THE LINT TRAP OF THE WASHER. Most people don't, and it's where a lot of the smell comes from.

I have a feeling I'm going to feel foolish...but what is a washer lint trap? I'm only aware of the one for the dryer

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4826 on: July 22, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »

I have a feeling I'm going to feel foolish...but what is a washer lint trap? I'm only aware of the one for the dryer

A metal mesh sock that you put over the washing machine discharge to trap lint.  Looks like this:

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4827 on: July 22, 2016, 07:42:47 PM »

On our Samsung washer, under the front door and to the left, there's a little door (look at the image here for illustration: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-4-2-cu-ft-8-cycle-high-efficiency-front-loading-washer-white/3452002.p?skuId=3452002) Open it, unscrew what basically looks like a mesh/cheese grater cylinder, and wash the rotting soggy lint out of it. Thoroughly disgusting. Our manual says to do that every 6 months; most people don't know it exists.

That plus scrubbing the rubber gasket that's around the door to the machine Daly with the machine being smelly, but we do leave the door open now to stop it from happening again.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4828 on: July 22, 2016, 09:05:39 PM »
And, most important (and easily forgotten): EMPTY THE LINT TRAP OF THE WASHER. Most people don't, and it's where a lot of the smell comes from.

On our Samsung washer, under the front door and to the left, there's a little door . . . . Open it, unscrew what basically looks like a mesh/cheese grater cylinder, and wash the rotting soggy lint out of it. Thoroughly disgusting. Our manual says to do that every 6 months; most people don't know it exists.

I had never heard of the washer's lint trap before, but Kitsune's description for cleaning it didn't sound all that hard, so tonight I went off to DIY on this thing.

Please learn from my experience.  To start, this thing inside the little door is not actually called the lint trap; it is called the drain pump.  I did not realize that until I started opening it and a whole bunch of water started pouring out.  Closed it up and then found the owner's manual.  It turns out that you are supposed to slowly drain all the water into a pan, dump it out, and repeat until all the water has been drained -- which, on my model, could be up to 4.4 gallons!  Okay, once you realize that tons-of-water step in the process, the cleaning step is easy.

Thanks, Kitsune, for teaching me something new, even though it meant I had a serious Lucille Ball moment on my hands!  :-)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:18:40 PM by LeRainDrop »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4829 on: July 23, 2016, 04:27:48 AM »
Yeah, I got water all over the place the first time I did it too. The little drain tube takes a while, but it is the better way...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4830 on: July 23, 2016, 06:20:28 AM »
Facebook feed a few days ago... lovely young couple I know posted up their brand new high end car. (I won't be specific or nasty because they're otherwise nice people).

Very long list of likes and people saying congratulations... interesting how many others wanted one too...

markpst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4831 on: July 23, 2016, 07:25:30 AM »
A friend of a friend chimed in on a Facebook post/discussion about which internet service to use (in Cincinnati, there really are only two players, Time Warner Cable and Cincinnati Bell):

We actually have BOTH TWC and CB!!! We are hoarders of ISPs!!! We switched over to TWC about a year ago for multiple reasons. Intended to stop the CB Internet and landline, but have not gotten around to it because we barely get our jobs done every day. TWC is Much faster internet than CB. Have had no problems with TWC internet. We pay a ridiculous amount for each.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4832 on: July 23, 2016, 07:45:23 AM »

On our Samsung washer, under the front door and to the left, there's a little door (look at the image here for illustration: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-4-2-cu-ft-8-cycle-high-efficiency-front-loading-washer-white/3452002.p?skuId=3452002) Open it, unscrew what basically looks like a mesh/cheese grater cylinder, and wash the rotting soggy lint out of it. Thoroughly disgusting. Our manual says to do that every 6 months; most people don't know it exists.

That plus scrubbing the rubber gasket that's around the door to the machine Daly with the machine being smelly, but we do leave the door open now to stop it from happening again.

Wow. That sounds like waaay too much work. And there's a chance some water will leak out? No way! I'm just going to buy a new one. My town also has a service where they will haul away the old one from 2011 for only $75.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4833 on: July 23, 2016, 07:57:24 AM »

Wow. That sounds like waaay too much work. And there's a chance some water will leak out? No way! I'm just going to buy a new one. My town also has a service where they will haul away the old one from 2011 for only $75.

Shit, better get two in case one breaks and you have to live without a washing machine. Probably gonna need a bigger house too.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4834 on: July 23, 2016, 08:12:26 AM »
Sorry I didn't clarify. That one is my second washer. We have one upstairs and downstairs. It's super convenient not to have to carry things up and down. This way we can wash all our clothes upstairs and use the downstairs set to do beach towels from our pool, dish clothes, etc. We also restrict our maid and au pair to only using the downstairs machine...it just seems kind of gross and too personal for someone else to use the same machine we wash our unmentionables in.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4835 on: July 23, 2016, 08:38:14 AM »
My mistake, so sorry to have suggested that you'd ever let the maid near your personal washing machine.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4836 on: July 23, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »

Every now and then I'll see quick discussions on FB about someone wanting to buy a new replacement and someone offhandedly asks about repair. Usually the person needing the replacement/fix says "I just don't want to bother with it."  Rarely does the person say "I priced out the repair and it's not worth it."  If it wasn't for the geographic distance between us I'd jump on that every time and say "If you're just going to toss it I'll buy it off you."  Quite often repairing an appliance that isn't TOO old is worth it if you're patient enough to get it fixed and Craigslist it for the right price.  I did this recently with my sister's law firm furniture.  They had a storage rental space packed with older but still in decent condition law office desks and bookshelves.  The space was supposed to be for files and they needed the space for more paperwork.  Their original plan was to send it all to the dump.  They would have been looking at a few hundred dollars worth of dump fees and it would have been a waste of quality furniture.  I offered to Craigslist it for a couple months for a cut of the profit and either sold 3/4s of it or other employees just took it home.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4837 on: July 24, 2016, 06:10:47 AM »
Not Facebook but I had to post it somewhere.

I asked my mum for gift ideas for my nephew's upcoming birthday and she suggested a particular insulated drink bottle for him to take to daycare.

Pricing it online, one website has the following option:

Make four interest-free payments of $4.24 fortnightly and receive your order now

Apart from the question of who the hell needs to make payments on a $16.95 drink bottle, who has that kind of time? My goal is to streamline purchases like this, not increase the number of transactions involved.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4838 on: July 24, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
Yep, if you don't have $16.95 you shouldn't be spending more than all your money on a drinks bottle.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4839 on: July 24, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »
Yep, if you don't have $16.95 you shouldn't be spending more than all your money on a drinks bottle.
You'd be surprised how many parents that want their kids to 'have only the best' would disagree with you. #nothingbutthebestforkid

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #4840 on: July 24, 2016, 11:02:45 AM »
Not Facebook but I had to post it somewhere.

I asked my mum for gift ideas for my nephew's upcoming birthday and she suggested a particular insulated drink bottle for him to take to daycare.

Pricing it online, one website has the following option:

Make four interest-free payments of $4.24 fortnightly and receive your order now

Apart from the question of who the hell needs to make payments on a $16.95 drink bottle, who has that kind of time? My goal is to streamline purchases like this, not increase the number of transactions involved.

Maybe the website has auto programming for offering payment plans regardless of price of item.

At least, I hope so....

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4841 on: July 25, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
We actually have BOTH TWC and CB!!! We are hoarders of ISPs!!! We switched over to TWC about a year ago for multiple reasons. Intended to stop the CB Internet and landline, but have not gotten around to it because we barely get our jobs done every day. TWC is Much faster internet than CB. Have had no problems with TWC internet. We pay a ridiculous amount for each.

I envisioned the wireless internet delivered by Citizen's Band radio. Channel 19 gets you Topix forum discussions. Channel 7 gets you discussions about police activity...

Would it be faster or slower than a 56K modem? ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:00:41 AM by Mybigtoe »

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4842 on: July 25, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »
Not facebook but today somebody on Reddit was wrong.

Stranger A: I had to get a car when I got a house, I didn't have one before but house living just requires one.
Me: I moved CLOSER to the city when I bought my house and then I sold my car.  Would recommend.
Other Strangers: where is this mythical place?
Me: My house was less than 200k in St Paul, but any neighborhood that is slightly worse than yours, or a house that is smaller, or needs more work, but is closer will work.  Here is an example of a house near me: *redfin link*
Stranger who is wrong on the internet: That house needs at least 40k in new windows, you would waste so much heating a 1911 house that the savings isn't even worth it.  So much for your made up awesome house.

My house was built in 1914, has old windows, and all our heat and electricity is always under 150.  Wonder how long those 40k in REQUIRED updates would take to pay off?  Also our neighborhood has houses that are redone top to bottom for 200k.

I told him if he wants to live in a suburban palace with a long commute he is welcome to do so, but it's only him holding him back, not that all affordable city housing is uninhabitable.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4843 on: July 25, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »

Stranger A: I had to get a car when I got a house, I didn't have one before but house living just requires one.
Me: I moved CLOSER to the city when I bought my house and then I sold my car.  Would recommend.
Me: My house was less than 200k in St Paul, but any neighborhood that is slightly worse than yours, or a house that is smaller, or needs more work, but is closer will work.  Here is an example of a house near me: *redfin link*
Stranger who is wrong on the internet: That house needs at least 40k in new windows, you would waste so much heating a 1911 house that the savings isn't even worth it.  So much for your made up awesome house.

My house was built in 1914, has old windows, and all our heat and electricity is always under 150.  Wonder how long those 40k in REQUIRED updates would take to pay off?  Also our neighborhood has houses that are redone top to bottom for 200k.

I told him if he wants to live in a suburban palace with a long commute he is welcome to do so, but it's only him holding him back, not that all affordable city housing is uninhabitable.

LOL, I think I saw that thread, close but not verbatim.  Don't you hate it when people on the internet are WRONG?

P.S. took a look at the redfin link.  That house needs at least $300k in new door handles
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:48:09 PM by dragoncar »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4844 on: July 25, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »

LOL, I think I saw that thread, close but not verbatim.  Don't you hate it when people on the internet are WRONG?

P.S. took a look at the redfin link.  That house needs at least $300k in new door handles

https://xkcd.com/386/

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4845 on: July 26, 2016, 07:04:07 AM »

https://xkcd.com/386/

Beat me to it...

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4846 on: July 26, 2016, 11:27:08 AM »

Yeah, direct quotes would have been too wordy.

It also requires another 700k in buying the lot next door to demo and then replacing the house with an entirely new 4000 sq.ft. house.  City living just isn't affordable these days.

Undefined

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4847 on: July 26, 2016, 05:43:26 PM »
On my facebook feed:

"I paid off my car loan today AND I'm celebrating by getting a nicer, newer car. I'm such an adult."

Well, the first half was laudable...

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #4848 on: July 26, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »
On my facebook feed:

"I paid off my car loan today AND I'm celebrating by getting a nicer, newer car. I'm such an adult.idiot"

Well, the first half was laudable...

Fixed.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4849 on: July 27, 2016, 04:56:14 AM »
If your appliances are, say, in the middle of your kitchen (mine were, at my last apartment), I can understand caring about the aesthetics of it. So you either get matching ones that are 'nice-looking', or you build a cupboard to put them in to hide them, or put them behind a curtain or something.

If they're in the basement or laundry closet, like in most houses? Seriously, you only see them when they're supposed to be functional. As long as they're functional, WHO CARES?

Yea i don't  get it either. Along those same lines I have a friend who owns an HVAC company. Our water heater was starting to leak and it was only a matter of time before it quit on us so I asked hime to source a new one for me. He found a new fancy on demand one his supplier wanted to get rid of because it has a scratch on the front of it. I got a couple hundred off due to the scratch. Do people seriously need their water heaters to look nice? Mine sits in a little mechanical room in my basement that I see once a month when I change the filter furnace.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!