Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081816 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3450 on: December 03, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »

But don't be so judge mental.  Not everyone is lookin for a cultural experience.  Some people just want to save a little money by taking advantage of the strong dollar.  If I had gone anywhere as nice as this resort in the us, it would be at least twice the cost.

Opps, forgot to respond. I didn't mean to come across as judgmental, I can see the benefit of going there for vacation. For many people, they want to go someplace exotic and warm and just unwind, and I imagine that a resort can provide this service and in Mexico or Jamaica, do so at a much better price than they can find in the US. This just isn't something that I would prefer to do on my vacations.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3451 on: December 03, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »
Got one today (paraphrasing)- New Jeep Renegade!  I only drive Jeeps and this is my 9th since 1997.

I think this person always buys new or leases, so new Jeep every other year for almost 2 decades.

Sdeeze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3452 on: December 03, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »

But don't be so judge mental.  Not everyone is lookin for a cultural experience.  Some people just want to save a little money by taking advantage of the strong dollar.  If I had gone anywhere as nice as this resort in the us, it would be at least twice the cost.

I think the point is that people who equate their staying a nice, cordoned off resort to some sort of true understanding of the culture of the host country are the freaking worst. A sentiment I think this classic Onion article gets at nicely.

http://www.theonion.com/article/woman-who-loves-brazil-has-only-seen-four-square-m-343

Quote from: The Onion Article
"The Brazilian people are so warm and friendly," Pavlik said, "and almost all of them know how to speak English."

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3453 on: December 03, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »

I think the point is that people who equate their staying a nice, cordoned off resort to some sort of true understanding of the culture of the host country are the freaking worst. A sentiment I think this classic Onion article gets at nicely.

http://www.theonion.com/article/woman-who-loves-brazil-has-only-seen-four-square-m-343

"The Brazilian people are so warm and friendly," Pavlik said, "and almost all of them know how to speak English."
As somebody currently sitting at a desk in Mexico on a business trip, I can confirm that those people are indeed the worst. There is so much to Mexican culture that I am learning from my colleagues that I would never have gotten to experience had I just gone on a trip with a bunch of my American family/friends to a resort or vacation town.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3454 on: December 03, 2015, 07:29:24 PM »
So you're saying a 4hour layover in Newark airport doesn't represent the full cultural experience of visiting New Jersey ?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3455 on: December 03, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »

As somebody currently sitting at a desk in Mexico on a business trip, I can confirm that those people are indeed the worst. There is so much to Mexican culture that I am learning from my colleagues that I would never have gotten to experience had I just gone on a trip with a bunch of my American family/friends to a resort or vacation town.

Just don't have the Mexican experience a former coworker had last week - he was kidnapped, held for ransom and managed to escape back to the factory where he was visiting an assembly line (engineer). He was whisked to the airport and back to the states by company security forces.

That figured into why I left my last employer for the one I have now. The next career rung up the ladder could have involved trips to the border towns. No thanks... That's the second guy I've heard to have an "adventure" in Mexico. Another fellow witnessed a sidewalk murder in broad light right next to his rental van.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3456 on: December 04, 2015, 05:26:55 AM »
Got one today (paraphrasing)- New Jeep Renegade!  I only drive Jeeps and this is my 9th since 1997.

I think this person always buys new or leases, so new Jeep every other year for almost 2 decades.

That's funny--I'm still driving my 1997 Jeep (not very Mustachian, I know, but at least it's been paid for for a long time).

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3457 on: December 04, 2015, 05:50:04 AM »
So you're saying a 4hour layover in Newark airport doesn't represent the full cultural experience of visiting New Jersey ?
How about a drive down the NJ turnpike?  At least on that ride you have to figure out that NJ only has full serve gas stations...I was SO confused.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3458 on: December 04, 2015, 06:29:23 AM »
How about a drive down the NJ turnpike?  At least on that ride you have to figure out that NJ only has full serve gas stations...I was SO confused.
NJ has the smallest gas tax but only full-service gas stations. That is why it doesn't have the least expensive gas in the country. Additionally, the reason why everything is full service is kinda interesting and typifies NJ.

Back in the day, every station was full service. Some guy comes along and sees he can cut prices by making it self service. He makes big bucks and buys a couple more stations. The stations that are full service are mad because they are losing money since they have to compete on price and they have to pay the attendant. So they complain to state government, bribe a few people, and get that law passed. That is why all stations in NJ are full service.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3459 on: December 04, 2015, 06:33:05 AM »

It doesn't count unless you had to make a jug handle ;)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3460 on: December 04, 2015, 06:51:51 AM »
"Uh! This sums up my Christmas every year!"
From a friend who has almost no fixed expenses and makes decent income, which is thus nearly 100% disposable.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3461 on: December 04, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »

Every time we return to my native land I have to remind Mr. Mandalay not to get out of the car when he's filling it up.  Once he did and the attendant cursed him out in Pakistani.

Then there's the opposite problem--when I made my initial visit to Kentucky years ago it was my first time driving out of state.  I needed gas, so I pulled into a SuperAmerica.  The instructions were easy enough, but somehow I managed to get entangled in the hose and fell flat on my face.  I looked up to see two guys inside the convenience busting a gut laughing.  One guy stuck his head out and yelled "second I saw the New Jersey plates I knew this would be good!"  In true Jersey girl fashion I gave him the finger, untangled myself, and successfully filled the tank.  :D 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3462 on: December 04, 2015, 08:20:11 AM »

Every time we return to my native land I have to remind Mr. Mandalay not to get out of the car when he's filling it up.  Once he did and the attendant cursed him out in Pakistani.

Then there's the opposite problem--when I made my initial visit to Kentucky years ago it was my first time driving out of state.  I needed gas, so I pulled into a SuperAmerica.  The instructions were easy enough, but somehow I managed to get entangled in the hose and fell flat on my face.  I looked up to see two guys inside the convenience busting a gut laughing.  One guy stuck his head out and yelled "second I saw the New Jersey plates I knew this would be good!"  In true Jersey girl fashion I gave him the finger, untangled myself, and successfully filled the tank.  :D

Is there any truth to the rumor that it's illegal to fill up your own gas tank in NJ?

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3463 on: December 04, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »

Is there any truth to the rumor that it's illegal to fill up your own gas tank in NJ?

It's very true, ostensibly because Jersey natives could not be trusted not to blow up everything, but I know that over the years bills have been introduced to overturn the law.  They always fail because of politics and lazy people who don't want to pump their own gas. 

(hangs head in shame since Mr. Mandalay always fills my car up for me; I don't remember the last time I pumped my own gas)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3464 on: December 04, 2015, 11:16:09 AM »
It's very true, ostensibly because Jersey natives could not be trusted not to blow up everything, but I know that over the years bills have been introduced to overturn the law.  They always fail because of politics and lazy people who don't want to pump their own gas. 
Oregon is the same way IIRC (or was it WA?).  Confused the heck out of me when we were there a few years back.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3465 on: December 04, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »
Yes, Oregon is the same.  We managed to not stop for gas from WA to CA all because my husband didn't want to deal with someone else pumping our gas.  We made it, barely.  Got a little dicey towards the end as it was rural and gas stations were not close together. 

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3466 on: December 04, 2015, 12:30:33 PM »
*emojis: kissyface, heart, coffee, microphone emojis*
#gM I buy ANYTHING I want, 'cause I got a #ChEck
*emojis: stack of money, credit card, stack of money with wings, bag of money, sleepy face emojis*

ugh..just whatever

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3467 on: December 04, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »

Do places charge a premium for doing so? I recall when I was child seeing stations that has self-pump and non, and from what I remember, the non-self pumps might have costed more?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3468 on: December 04, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
Posted by an MLM friend.

I don't allow the price tags to scare me
I allow the price tags to motivate me
#bossbabe

I don't get it.  Can someone explain.?    Motivated too...  stop spending?  Run more?  ???

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3469 on: December 04, 2015, 01:57:37 PM »

Do places charge a premium for doing so? I recall when I was child seeing stations that has self-pump and non, and from what I remember, the non-self pumps might have costed more?

I'm sure it costs more than if there was no law, but NJ typically has lower gas prices because their gas taxes are lower.  So in the end, you get service at a discount.

One time I unknowingly crossed into NJ and stopped at a station.  Got out and started pumping my gas.  Guy came out and said "can I help you?"  Me, being oblivious, gave a strange look and said "uh, no thanks."  Attendant gets huffy and says "well FINE!" and walks away.  It wasn't until I went into work the next day and told my coworkers the story that we figured out what likely happened.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3470 on: December 04, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »

I'm sure it costs more than if there was no law, but NJ typically has lower gas prices because their gas taxes are lower.  So in the end, you get service at a discount.

One time I unknowingly crossed into NJ and stopped at a station.  Got out and started pumping my gas.  Guy came out and said "can I help you?"  Me, being oblivious, gave a strange look and said "uh, no thanks."  Attendant gets huffy and says "well FINE!" and walks away.  It wasn't until I went into work the next day and told my coworkers the story that we figured out what likely happened.

That's kinda funny, you're sparing the guy from working. Most people would thank you. Though I suppose, as it is NJ, you are probably lucky that he didn't curse you out.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3471 on: December 04, 2015, 02:18:13 PM »
Posted by an MLM friend.

#bossbabe

I don't get it.  Can someone explain.?    Motivated too...  stop spending?  Run more?  ???
Motivated to earn more so they can afford to blow more money on luxury shit

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3472 on: December 04, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
Posted by an MLM friend.

#bossbabe

Motivated to scam more people into joining their pyramid scheme so they can steal their money to buy overpriced junk. I'm a cynic.

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #3473 on: December 04, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
Having lived in NJ and never having had to pump gas in other states, there are pros and cons to not pumping your own.

You don't have to get out in the freezing cold or open door to pump gas.  Unfortunately you do have to open the window to talk to the attendant.

Not knowing how to pump gas can be embarrassing.  I'll go on a roadtrip and pump gas in PA, and just stare and look clueless.  They'll look at me funny and look at the license plate, "Oh I get it." 

I think it's cheap also cause we have a lot of oil refineries in NJ so the shipping is less I think.  But the gas tax is ridiculously low and they should revise the law so that only in Winter are we not allowed to self-serve but in spring and summer we can self-serve.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3474 on: December 04, 2015, 03:33:16 PM »
I have seen this forum attack people for suggesting that blind disabled 75 year olds might have a cause to use a leaf blower instead of a rake but here we are discussing the pro's to paying someone to pump gas into your car? 

What next, we will discuss how great it is in Iowa where you cant use chopsticks yourself and have hire a professional to feed you sushi?  But then how much is the xmass tip for your regular chopstick operator? 

/sarcasm!!!!1  (and the Iowa thing is made up.)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3475 on: December 05, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »
they should revise the law so that only in Winter are we not allowed to self-serve but in spring and summer we can self-serve.

The problem with laws are that once they are implemented, it takes quite a lot to reverse them. That's why there are arcane laws on the book, such as how it is illegal to cross the street on your hands, or how in Delaware it's illegal to pawn a wooden leg.

In this particular case, as with the laws I mentioned before, is that there generally just isn't any political will to do so. If it was put to an up or down vote, I doubt there would be any opposition, but it takes effort to get a bill up for a vote.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3476 on: December 05, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »
In Oregon they modified the full serve law to exclude diesel (I assume for truck drivers' convenience but technically I can pump my own diesel into my TDI). I'm never sure why people get so crazed about it. It adds ~5 minutes (at most) to the gas stop. Everyone has 5 minutes.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3477 on: December 05, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »
The story we hear is that Oregon wanted to preserve the jobs of gas station attendents. I don't care why they made the law — I love it.  Always get grouchy in other states when I have to get out of the car and fuss with the card reader in Arctic weather, or march inside and pre-pay, and pump the gas and go through the hassle and get half-frozen or soaked by the blowing rain.  If the state wants me to stay warm and dry inside my car while someone does it for me, and that someone gets to keep his job, that's win-win in my book.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3478 on: December 05, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »
I have seen this forum attack people for suggesting that blind disabled 75 year olds might have a cause to use a leaf blower instead of a rake but here we are discussing the pro's to paying someone to pump gas into your car? 

You expect consistency on a place within the Internet?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3479 on: December 05, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »

Expect? No.  Just pointing out how crazy this place is sometimes.  :-)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3480 on: December 05, 2015, 05:08:11 PM »
they should revise the law so that only in Winter are we not allowed to self-serve but in spring and summer we can self-serve.

The problem with laws are that once they are implemented, it takes quite a lot to reverse them. That's why there are arcane laws on the book, such as how it is illegal to cross the street on your hands, or how in Delaware it's illegal to pawn a wooden leg.

In this particular case, as with the laws I mentioned before, is that there generally just isn't any political will to do so. If it was put to an up or down vote, I doubt there would be any opposition, but it takes effort to get a bill up for a vote.

In Bergen County NJ it's illegal to buy clothing on Sunday...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3481 on: December 05, 2015, 05:24:37 PM »

It's not even inconsistent though, since as stated above the full-service NJ gas is cheaper than neighboring states self-serve.  If the total cost of operating a leaf blower was lower than that of a rake, people might feel differently (come to think of it, my leaf blower was free so it probably is cheaper to run it than to buy a rake)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3482 on: December 05, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »

Fair enough, and yeah the contrast is funny to consider....leaf blower=bad, full service pump=good.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3483 on: December 07, 2015, 07:32:39 AM »
  Once he did and the attendant cursed him out in Pakistani.

Oh really?

I'm trying to picture this.

A white American couple pulls up to the gas pump.

Your husband gets out of the car and then some gas station attendant runs over and yells at him "PAKISTANI!" 

That is so weird.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3484 on: December 07, 2015, 08:38:42 AM »

Oh really?

Your husband gets out of the car and then some gas station attendant runs over and yells at him "PAKISTANI!" 

That is so weird.

I believe she meant that the attendant was cursing at her husband in an unspecified language spoken by Pakistani people.  But that's just a wild guess.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3485 on: December 07, 2015, 08:56:31 AM »
Posted by an MLM friend.

#bossbabe

Motivated to scam more people into joining their pyramid scheme so they can steal their money to buy overpriced junk. I'm a cynic.

I think this should be remade for MMM followers into

I don't want this shit anyway
#Badass #MiddleFinger

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3486 on: December 07, 2015, 09:18:10 AM »

Oh really?

That is so weird.

I believe she meant that the attendant was cursing at her husband in an unspecified language spoken by Pakistani people.  But that's just a wild guess.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. It's sad how many people will ask me, "How do you say ___ in Indian?" Reminds me of this clip from the Indian-Canadian comedian Russell Peters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQqzROAZZQ0

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3487 on: December 07, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »

Oh really?

That is so weird.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. It's sad how many people will ask me, "How do you say ___ in Indian?" Reminds me of this clip from the Indian-Canadian comedian Russell Peters.

Reply: "How do you say 'Fuck You' in White?"

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #3488 on: December 07, 2015, 10:13:27 AM »
Posted by an MLM friend.

#bossbabe

#Badass #MiddleFinger

Love it!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3489 on: December 07, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »

Oh really?

That is so weird.

Reply: "How do you say 'Fuck You' in White?"

Seems overly pedantic to me.  "How do you say hello in American?" "Well there no language called American but in Jersian we say 'fuck you!'"

Posted by an MLM friend.

#bossbabe

#Badass #MiddleFinger

Love it!

I don't allow price tags to scare me
They motivate me to make my own stuff
#DIY #allmustachesmatter

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3490 on: December 07, 2015, 01:17:08 PM »
After being doused in gasoline while filling my tank in PA, I am pretty grateful for full service in NJ. The hose failed and the dopes that worked inside the minimart just looked at me like "what do you want us to do?" when I went inside to alert them to the huge safety issue. Yeah, a few expletives might have been thrown around- it is damn scary to be doused in gasoline and I *am* from Jersey, after all.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3491 on: December 07, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »
After being doused in gasoline while filling my tank in PA, I am pretty grateful for full service in NJ. The hose failed and the dopes that worked inside the minimart just looked at me like "what do you want us to do?" when I went inside to alert them to the huge safety issue. Yeah, a few expletives might have been thrown around- it is damn scary to be doused in gasoline and I *am* from Jersey, after all.

Never forget

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3492 on: December 07, 2015, 02:19:19 PM »

Never forget

Well played!

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #3493 on: December 07, 2015, 05:24:48 PM »
I've seen 3 or 4 people post the attached pic on Facebook now.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3494 on: December 08, 2015, 06:08:01 AM »
Second time this gem has popped up on our local FB yard sale/swap page:

Take over my lease! 2014 Ford Explorer XLR. Leather, navigation, back up camera, dual sunroof, third row. Excellent condition. Have 11 month left on this lease. Payments are $496, next payment due December 26th. Mileage: 26,000 currently. By the end of the lease it must have up to 36,000. If you lease/buy another Ford in the end of this lease, they forgive any extra miles.
Here's how it works: Ford Credit charges $50 for a credit check (must have good credit, they are pretty strict about that). If everything is well, we both sign paperwork and the car is yours.
We put $2000 down when signing the lease, you have $0 down. In fact, I am offering an incentive of $300 cash to whoever is able to take over this lease.
I am not in a position to offer any assistance for anyone requiring credit help, so please, only candidates who know their credit is good enough to take on a lease.
Please message me with any questions. Thank you.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3495 on: December 08, 2015, 06:10:21 AM »
I mean, that's kind of how it should be. Mustachians don't keep their money in a bank account, right? ;)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3496 on: December 08, 2015, 06:22:52 AM »
Second time this gem has popped up on our local FB yard sale/swap page:

Take over my lease! 2014 Ford Explorer XLR. Leather, navigation, back up camera, dual sunroof, third row. Excellent condition. Have 11 month left on this lease. Payments are $496, next payment due December 26th. Mileage: 26,000 currently. By the end of the lease it must have up to 36,000. If you lease/buy another Ford in the end of this lease, they forgive any extra miles.
Here's how it works: Ford Credit charges $50 for a credit check (must have good credit, they are pretty strict about that). If everything is well, we both sign paperwork and the car is yours.
We put $2000 down when signing the lease, you have $0 down. In fact, I am offering an incentive of $300 cash to whoever is able to take over this lease.
I am not in a position to offer any assistance for anyone requiring credit help, so please, only candidates who know their credit is good enough to take on a lease.
Please message me with any questions. Thank you.

I'd do it!  If the incentive was $500x the number of months left in the lease.... oh wait, then I'd still have to pay for gas.  Nvm. :P

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #3497 on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:07 AM »
I mean, that's kind of how it should be. Mustachians don't keep their money in a bank account, right? ;)

Somehow, I don't think that's what they were going for. :)

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3498 on: December 08, 2015, 06:43:58 AM »
And another one!  Gotta love the holidays!  Perfect time to make extra money off of your gullible friends!:

Top 10 Reasons to JOIN my Rodan + Fields Team TODAY instead of "after the holidays:" 🎄

1. Holiday parties are the PERFECT time to start sharing your business and setting goals! You will see a ton of people with skin who want to support you! Out of town friends and relatives, co-workers' spouses, and meeting new friends!

2. Receive a paycheck in January to help pay for all the Holiday spending! {The start of RESIDUAL INCOME!} 💸

3. Give Gifts from your business kit and R+F store to your friends, family, teachers, Secret Santa exchanges, etc... And at the same time build your client base! #WinWin

4. Tax write-offs for 2015!!! Don't let this pass you up! Saved me $$$

5. Gift giving season provides a great time to give mini-facials to everyone you know with skin! You'll have access to Award-Winning skincare that they can only purchase from an R+F Consultant: YOU!

6. Capitalize on Rodan + Fields' limited time offer to earn back the ENTIRE COST of your Biz Kit before it ends! I did it before this offer existed just with my paycheck and I will teach you HOW!

7. Leverage our Global Expansion ~ join now so you're ready for our expansion into Australia in 2016! We expanded into Canada earlier this year and we sell to Puerto Rico! In Australia with a US address?! Even better!!! Let's get you going!

8. Take advantage of a HUGE SIGN ON BONUS ending December - Over and above getting your products for 50% SAVINGS in your Business Kit! Even if you're just looking for great skincare ~ this is by far THE BEST OFFER for Award-Winning skincare!

9. Give yourself the GIFT of Great Skin! Get started on these products NOW and you'll be looking RADIANT before the Ball Drops on New Years Eve AND ready to help your friends with their New Year’s resolutions to start caring for themselves with great skin or financial freedom in 2016!

10. Give yourself the GIFT of residual income! The gift that will seriously keep on giving! What would an extra $xxx, $x,xxx. or $xx,xxx. a month do for you and your family? That can be YOUR reality!

Let's talk today! 🎁 Join my team!  #rodaningandfieldsing #anyonecandoit #holidayhustle
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:24:22 AM by CabinetGuy »

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #3499 on: December 08, 2015, 06:58:51 AM »

It's not even inconsistent though, since as stated above the full-service NJ gas is cheaper than neighboring states self-serve.  If the total cost of operating a leaf blower was lower than that of a rake, people might feel differently (come to think of it, my leaf blower was free so it probably is cheaper to run it than to buy a rake)

The fact that gas is cheaper in Jersey is because it is produced in Jersey. If they allowed self serve, gas would be even cheaper. I dislike the government making laws to "protect jobs" which cost average citizens money.