Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082431 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #350 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
<bachelor, mid 30's, male, engineer here>

wtf; how hard are you all trying to make this??!?!? Proper etiquette says I have to call up Amazon for my college buddy who lives 8 states away and casually ask what china patterns they might be interested in?  No.

Search major retailers sites to try to find where they might be registered?  what?  Department stores are regional too.

Tell me where you are registered if you want stuff (on a website sounds great).  Else select a few charities you would like a donation made in your name to, Habitat for Humanity, Make a Wish, Heifer and the couples University aught to be politically mild enough and if they are not well what is the problem in forcing the couple to get a 100$ on Amazon?

Any way...

Woman that cuts my hair is getting married in a bit over a month.  Embossed invitations, large gaggle of maids, 120$/plate dinner, some place that is like one stop shopping-they can arrange it all.  Parents are paying for most of it but her and her Navy enlisted soon-to-be hubby are picking up a good bit on cc. 

She did say that some of her low class cousins were concerned that they would not like the food and were relieved to learn an Arby's is across the street from the reception.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #351 on: April 08, 2014, 04:47:10 PM »
Etiquette gurus say you 1) don't ask for money (by giving registry details or worse, providing a cute poem to ask for cold cash)

So apparently some stores aren't aware of this little detail.

Upon registering at a store, we were promptly schooled in, among other things:
  1) The number of items to put in the registry (roughly 3 x number of expected guests, if you're curious),
  2) how many of each type of items to request (they even gave us a convenient check list),
  3) that our family and friends will 'reach' for us (while we sat there dumbfounded, thinking.. "But we don't want them too!")

And lastly, prior to leaving the store, we were also given a stack of registry cards to be included in our invitations (which were already sent out by that point). We thought a registry would be helpful to some of our guests, but the whole experience made me regret coming to the store. At the very least we should have done the whole thing online and avoided the follow-up calls asking us when we would like to make an appointment to come back to the store and add more items to our registry to reach the magical expected number.

Sorry for continuing the hijack... while it's not overheard on Facebook, at least it fits quite well in the Antimustachian Wall of Shame

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #352 on: April 08, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »
I'm paraphrasing this status:

"Yay! We're going overseas to get married! None of you are invited, cos it's overseas.  Donations for the wedding are gratefully received"  (bank account details included).

My jaw would drop, but I've sadly discovered that weddings bring out the money beast in a way nothing else does and people forget common courtesy.

A follow up post did clarify that the 'begging for money' bit was because they didn't need any household-type traditional wedding gifts, as they've been living together for years, so it was really in lieu of a gift registry.

But yeah, I also happen to know that the facebook post was the first notification anyone had had about the wedding - parents had not even been given a heads-up.  And I very much doubt that formal invitations will ever happen.  (Knowing this couple, it's possibly even still in the 'fantasy planning' stage and may not even happen).

It's basically a "we're going to elope, be happy for us" situation.  Which is totally cool and I'm stoked they're going to get married and do it 'their way', without dragging either or both families half way across the world to do it.  They are both well old enough to do whatever the heck they want - we're not talking two 23 year olds, just out of college or anything.  But the bank account details embedded in the initial announcement was a bit much for me :)

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: April 16, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:19 AM »
  She did say that some of her low class cousins were concerned that they would not like the food and were relieved to learn an Arby's is across the street from the reception.

Har!

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2014, 07:20:35 AM »

Har!

Remind me of one of my favorite Simpsons' quotes, "I'm so hungry I could eat at Arby's"

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #356 on: April 17, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »
<bachelor, mid 30's, male, engineer here>

wtf; how hard are you all trying to make this??!?!? Proper etiquette says I have to call up Amazon for my college buddy who lives 8 states away and casually ask what china patterns they might be interested in?  No.

Search major retailers sites to try to find where they might be registered?  what?  Department stores are regional too.

It's really not that hard - there is an app or website for everything, offering one stop shopping in this case: http://registryfinder.com/  I do this anyway when I lose the little cards or the wedding website (bc so many people are doing this these days, it's now ridiculous and long names like "namelovesname")

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #357 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:32 AM »
I like Arby's more than most fast food. They've got real meat slicers and horsey sauce!

ARBYS ROCKS

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #358 on: April 17, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »
It's really not that hard - there is an app or website for everything, offering one stop shopping in this case: http://registryfinder.com/  I do this anyway when I lose the little cards or the wedding website (bc so many people are doing this these days, it's now ridiculous and long names like "namelovesname")

Not an app I would have searched for.

But now that I see it this could be real fun!! I could send random people all kinds of bizarre crap!  Some guy named Bill Smith is registered at Walmart, I think he and GEORGETTE ELKINS (of COLUMBUS, GA who got married on April 12, 2014), would really love an oil pan and a NickelBack poster.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #359 on: April 17, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »
In my country, sending someone a Nickleback poster is akin to whipping out your genitals and pleasuring to climax at the funeral of their dead grandparent while pouring sugar down their gas tank.  Make it a Beiber poster and there's likely to be jail time involved.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: April 17, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
In my country, sending someone a Nickleback poster is akin to whipping out your genitals and pleasuring to climax at the funeral of their dead grandparent while pouring sugar down their gas tank.  Make it a Beiber poster and there's likely to be jail time involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8JeeDsBUv4

Relevance, Jenna Marbles style. Crude, so don't watch if you're easily offended.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #361 on: April 17, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »

What about Celine Dion or Shania Twain?

Someone else overheard on FB:
http://www.lamebook.com/thats-not-how-it-works/

I have a new time wasting site!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #362 on: April 17, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »
I like Arby's more than most fast food. They've got real meat slicers and horsey sauce!

ARBYS ROCKS

I agree! So much Arby's hate! I almost never eat fast food (probably like most here) but given my pick of fast food restaurants, I'd go Arby's roast beef/curly fries/Jamocha shake allllll day.

Mmmmm. Now I'm hungry :)

LOL!!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #363 on: April 17, 2014, 07:09:34 PM »
I will cop to being annoyed by cash bars.  If I am invited to a party (especially a party that is likely have expenses for me such as hotel room, etc) I surely do expect to have my drinks included.  And if alcohol is important to the bride and groom, and they "can't afford it", then they need to decide if alcohol is more important, or if having any number of other things is more important, and make a trade-off. 

Anyway, I actually opened this thread to share a FB friend story.  The friend had a short sale maybe 4-5 years ago, and is now house hunting again.  Household income upwards of 200k, so even with a high SL burden they should be doing well.  They found a house and are getting an FHA loan.  I tried to gently advise her to consider that they will be paying PMI for the life of the loan which efctively increases their interest rate by 2-3%.  Friend accused me of bursting her happiness bubble, and said they caning afford to put 5% down! and anyway interest rates are increasing so they need to by now. 

The first short sale was a genuinely crap circumstances (housing market crashed, had to relocate for a job, could not rent out, etc) but at this point.....    Yah......

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #364 on: April 18, 2014, 05:53:57 AM »

ARBYS ROCKS

I agree! So much Arby's hate! I almost never eat fast food (probably like most here) but given my pick of fast food restaurants, I'd go Arby's roast beef/curly fries/Jamocha shake allllll day.

Mmmmm. Now I'm hungry :)

Arby's roast beef sucks, but just about everything else there is good (especially the sliced roast chicken and the jamocha shakes). I still miss the roast chicken triple cheese and bacon sandwich, and it's been a decade since they last made it...

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #365 on: April 18, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »

What about Celine Dion or Shania Twain?

Depends what part of the country you're in - send that Céline poster to a Québécois of a certain age and you might start getting invited to family reunions :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:22:14 PM by ScienceSexSavings »

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #366 on: April 19, 2014, 05:05:06 PM »
+1 Arby's fan!

Maybe I'll go post it on FB, so it will at least kinda sorta follow the theme of this thread!

dan@themadrealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Mad Real World
« Reply #367 on: April 21, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »
I see a lot of people complaining about the cost of their cable bills.  People talk about it like it is a necessity that they can't live without.  It is such a ripoff and the big cable companies are so dishonest and monopolistic. I would never give them a dollar.

It can be difficult to get around them when it comes to home internet service. I pay my neighbor to share his connection.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:09:03 AM by dan@themadrealworld »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #368 on: April 22, 2014, 08:21:45 AM »
I see a lot of people complaining about the cost of their cable bills.  People talk about it like it is a necessity that they can't live without.  It is such a ripoff and comcast and the other big cable companies are so dishonest and monopolistic. I would never give them a dollar.

It can be difficult to get around them when it comes to home internet service. I pay my neighbor to share his connection.

Agree cable is not a necessity.  We canceled a few months ago and have been amazed to discover how many folks we know have also canceled.  That said, just want to note the internet share is most likely against the TOS.  :(

payitoff

« Reply #369 on: April 22, 2014, 08:44:25 AM »
"Paychecks may and go, but Chanel is forever." Tagging husband at the end of her status.   

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #370 on: April 22, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
I see a lot of people complaining about the cost of their cable bills.  People talk about it like it is a necessity that they can't live without.  It is such a ripoff and comcast and the other big cable companies are so dishonest and monopolistic. I would never give them a dollar.

Agree cable is not a necessity.  We canceled a few months ago and have been amazed to discover how many folks we know have also canceled.  That said, just want to note the internet share is most likely against the TOS.  :(

Not "most likely" -- "most definitely."  Probably not a great idea to call them names in a public forum and then mention you're doing something they'd likely categorize as theft of service.

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #371 on: April 22, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
There are many on my facebook from day to day (the iconic "phone is off, cant afford bill, get at me on here" is common) but this was by far my favorite:

"today is the first day since i was 18 and i got my first car that my car loan is less than the value of my car when i bought it #financiallyresponsible"

the guy has rolled his car loans about 6 times since he was 18. I think he's 30 now? Its not funny because its true.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #372 on: April 22, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
So he isn't even above water on the loan, the loan is just less than the purchase price?? Yikes.

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #373 on: April 23, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »
So he isn't even above water on the loan, the loan is just less than the purchase price?? Yikes.

yes. its apparently really common around here. many of my friends have told me they've rolled their auto loans because "the car was just such a good deal"

I can count on one finger the number of times people have gotten good deals on cars. and that was when my wife's parents gave us one for free...and it still sucks on gas so its debatable.

caherriman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #374 on: April 23, 2014, 02:43:30 PM »
I had someone on FB bitching about needing to have a girls night out. No one would go with her because she stated that they would need to pay for the drinks...she would pay them back on payday. Then the very next day her smartphone broke and she was begging people to give her a free one.

I also love when I have friends who are posting about this concert they just got tickets to, or the fancy dinner they had that night...then are asking for money to buy diapers.

My DH cousin started a GoFundMe to pay her bills...and got upset no one was donating. That automatically meant nobody loved her and they must not care about her.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #375 on: April 23, 2014, 03:41:15 PM »
I had someone on FB bitching about needing to have a girls night out. No one would go with her because she stated that they would need to pay for the drinks...she would pay them back on payday. Then the very next day her smartphone broke and she was begging people to give her a free one.

I also love when I have friends who are posting about this concert they just got tickets to, or the fancy dinner they had that night...then are asking for money to buy diapers.

My DH cousin started a GoFundMe to pay her bills...and got upset no one was donating. That automatically meant nobody loved her and they must not care about her.

I have a facebook 'friend' (i use the term loosely as I'm about to defriend him because of these shenanegans), who does the same thing. He'll make a post about the hot new video game he is playing, and then 5 min later beg people to send him money for cigarettes and groceries. It wouldn't bother me so much except that it happens on such a regular basis, and the fact that he owes me money, and keeps claiming poverty, but then posts about his new apple ipad or some other stupid thing.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2014, 01:24:49 AM »
Those last two stories are mental. I'd happily be cutting people like that out of my life.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: April 24, 2014, 03:10:01 AM »

I have a facebook 'friend' (i use the term loosely as I'm about to defriend him because of these shenanegans), who does the same thing. He'll make a post about the hot new video game he is playing, and then 5 min later beg people to send him money for cigarettes and groceries. It wouldn't bother me so much except that it happens on such a regular basis, and the fact that he owes me money, and keeps claiming poverty, but then posts about his new apple ipad or some other stupid thing.

These people dont need to be removed from FB just put in a unique group, my feed has pissed me off 83% less since I sorted 4 people into a group I never check.  Defriending family I think is questionable but one can always sort them somewhere special

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #378 on: April 24, 2014, 03:48:54 AM »
OMG! I can't believe people are actually begging for money on Facebook! I've never seen that. Maybe it's an American thing?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #379 on: April 24, 2014, 05:07:31 AM »
I've never seen it.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #380 on: April 24, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
I've seen it myself but only in the context of asking for donations to actual causes.  Some worthwhile ones that i've seen are Muscular Dystrophy, St Baldricks, and Multiple Sclerosis.  One of my friend's 13 year old daughter raised over $3000 for juvenile cancer research by pledging to shave her head after her friend had been diagnosed with leukemia. 

When I had FB, I never noticed anyone soliciting money for personal causes else I would've called them out on the ridiculousness of it.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:19 AM »
I've never seen it either. good thing, because I would probably puke all over my keyboard. and then leave a comment voicing my disgust, and then unfriend them. I can't even believe people have the gall to do that!!!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2014, 09:16:03 AM »
I've never seen it either, except charity fund raisers. The worst offense on my feed is "vaguebooking".

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2014, 10:35:03 AM »
I've seen one friend of a friend raising $$ to go to a weightlifting competition, which at least seems like a good personal development goal, not really frivolity. I've gone to conferences on funds raised from corporate donations and bake sales, so this doesn't look too different. I don't know her job/financial situation, whether it would be reasonable to expect her to have it saved up or not. 

Also someone was passing around a gofundme for a girl who wanted her student loans paid off so she could join a convent. Kind of torn on how to feel about that one, but still landed on the side of "work in the real world until you pay them off, first."

Supported neither. But also didn't quite find them ridiculous...

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #384 on: April 24, 2014, 10:55:08 AM »
Also someone was passing around a gofundme for a girl who wanted her student loans paid off so she could join a convent. Kind of torn on how to feel about that one, but still landed on the side of "work in the real world until you pay them off, first."

Two of my friends from childhood went into the convent, and they weren't allowed to until they'd worked and paid off their loans, which they did, and then joined the convent, and the delay hurt them not at all. As a former Catholic, I am 100% certain that a nun should be a person who values hard work, integrity, and delayed gratification, and if they're not there yet, well, paying off your loans before you're allowed in sounds like a great opportunity to learn. Asking other people to pay off your loans for you is the opposite of what being a nun is supposed to be.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #385 on: April 24, 2014, 11:33:07 AM »

These people dont need to be removed from FB just put in a unique group, my feed has pissed me off 83% less since I sorted 4 people into a group I never check.  Defriending family I think is questionable but one can always sort them somewhere special.

Yeah, you can just tell facebook "show me less/none of this person in my feed"

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #386 on: April 25, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »

I have pretty much all the non stop political posters set up like that. For some reason they all seem be be tea party peeps for whatever that's worth.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #387 on: April 25, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »

I have pretty much all the non stop political posters set up like that. For some reason they all seem be be tea party peeps for whatever that's worth.

My entire family has had to block my father to preserve harmony. And since he doesn't have any other friends than us, I guess no one is seeing his NRA memes.

caherriman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #388 on: April 25, 2014, 12:01:57 PM »

These people dont need to be removed from FB just put in a unique group, my feed has pissed me off 83% less since I sorted 4 people into a group I never check.  Defriending family I think is questionable but one can always sort them somewhere special.

I actually keep the first one because I am a SAHM...I value my cheap entertainment ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #389 on: April 25, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »
I have a lot of friends that go on missions trip and so they will put appeals on FB for donations or use them to organize fundraising events.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #390 on: April 25, 2014, 11:15:58 PM »
Maybe it's cuz I'm a college kid, but I see way more far left than far right among the won't-shut-up-about-my-views crowd.

You can't own property, maaaan...

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #391 on: April 26, 2014, 07:45:48 AM »
That's just like, your opinion man.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #392 on: April 26, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »
Maybe it's cuz I'm a college kid, but I see way more far left than far right among the won't-shut-up-about-my-views crowd.

I see both pretty regularly.

Accountess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #393 on: April 26, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »
Got requested to respond to a got fund me like to raise $7,000 for avoid foreclosure on their house.

Part of me is sympathetic, and larger part of me wants to throw personal finance information at them.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: April 26, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »

I see both pretty regularly.

I see some religious posts (family), but more liberal than conservative in general - but that's also how my friends lean.  They usually post funny shit though, sarcasm at it's finest, so I don't mind.  I rarely read facebook anyhow.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #395 on: April 27, 2014, 06:58:39 AM »

Is it really a problem to donate to charity in the guests' names?  You are giving the wedding that you can afford.  You are also making a statement about your beliefs/commitments.  Should you really have to include some candied almonds or bubbles?

Yes it's a problem because
 1) you are bragging to the world that you are giving a donation and aren't you special!
2) no one has to give favors--the idea that one must give favors is actually pretty gauche (expect perhaps in some ethnic centered families)
3)) I as a guest don't like that charity that you are giving money to "in my name"
4) And thanks for using your wedding a a political/social comment stage--makes me want to attend even less

Of course you don't have to give favors, no one cares about that silly stuff.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:15:13 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #396 on: April 27, 2014, 07:04:40 AM »

...There's some *really* strong sentiment out there regarding cash bars (although nothing like honeyfund hatred.)  For the record, while I recognize this is proper etiquette - I too, would prefer the option to purchase a drink.  (Although I've happily attended dry weddings.)  We hosted an open bar wedding ourselves.

I attended two family weddings back to back that were dry. Now, I think morning or afternoon weddings without alcohol are lovely. But when I am held captive for hours on a Saturday night watching typical wedding stuff take place, dear god, give me some wine. I don't mind paying for it! Need wine!

This was DH's family (not that mine would be any different) and I told him: Sorry, no more family weddings will I be attending. These are all out of state, we make a big effort to be there and--no alcohol. Well, actually, at one of the events referenced above there was one single pour of champagne for "the toast" and it was served in cheap plastic glasses and while the speaker was droning on and on, I sadly watched my my bubbly leak out of that glass onto the table. Sob.

I've not been to a DH family wedding since. He's been to a couple of them and they DID offer alcohol, but I'm not going to chance it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:11:20 AM by iris lily »

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #397 on: April 27, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
I have some family that adhere to some particularly conservative religious tenants. I have been to three weddings where there was no alcohol OR dancing. There was a sermon and everything.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #398 on: April 27, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »
I have some family that adhere to some particularly conservative religious tenants. I have been to three weddings where there was no alcohol OR dancing.

That defines pretty much every wedding I ever went to as a child, and most of the weddings in my town.  Service in the church, reception in the church basement.  The whole affair takes a few hours tops.

Of course, I went against the grain for my own wedding,  but we had it out of town.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: April 27, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
I have some family that adhere to some particularly conservative religious tenants. I have been to three weddings where there was no alcohol OR dancing.

That defines pretty much every wedding I ever went to as a child, and most of the weddings in my town.  Service in the church, reception in the church basement.  The whole affair takes a few hours tops.

Of course, I went against the grain for my own wedding,  but we had it out of town.

Agreed, I went to plenty of those weddings and you were in and out of the reception in 1.5 hours, maybe 2. Neat and efficient.

In order for them to keep my butt in a chair for the typical 6 hour affair that wedding receptions have become, there'd better be alcohol.  I'll pay for it, that is fine.