Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082375 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4450 on: May 27, 2016, 11:34:08 AM »
Edit:  I have to add that I find the DiCaprio meme that RWD posted here to be pretty hilarious.

It is actually rather clever. And there were Facebook commenters that were talking about how fast they had paid off their student loans, so it wasn't all antimustachian.

Yeah it's obviously a joke, and a good one at that.  But like all good jokes there's a kernel of truth

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4451 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:18 PM »
Sigh.  Tragedy in the region here, two 17 YO boys were flying down a country road in a 2002 Jaguar convertible, major wreck into fence, trees, and farm equipment, both dead.  Early signs are there was alcohol involved.  Of course the local news goes right to FB to collect up photos. 

I checked it out and am just sickened.   The young driver was given a $65K+ GMC Denali monster truck for his 16th b-day last spring, and has many photos of him with a very expensive speed boat and snowmobiles, this young man loved his toys and was well fed with them.  I am not sure if parents are compensating for a divorce or mom was widowed with a large life insurance policy or maybe they won the lottery, can't really tell why they would load this kid up with crazy levels of stuff.  Still, I am sure that they would trade every last toy to have their boy and his friend back. 

Still, what struck me is the massive level of show-off that was on the page, classic stuff that this entire thread is devoted to.  Look, more toys!  Look, more trips!  Look how shiny and fake everything is!  But now add "we are sorry for your loss!" from strangers and friends alike.  Aya, yes, that is the truth, so sorry, it is such a tragedy and I can't imagine what they are going through right now. 

Someone commented on FB that he didn't take the monster truck that day and drove the Jag instead to save on gas.  I can't even begin with that.  At that speed they would still have been dead, but the crazy idea of saving a few nickels on gas when they have about $200K work of stuff sitting there for the kid just doesn't compute.  And I feel bad for judging.   

A lesson here:  if anything happens to you or yours the local news (and looky lous and snoops like me) are going directly to FB to paw through your world and judge you, where they (I) have no right to be.  But maybe these kids would still be alive if there wasn't such an obsession with buying shiny shit.  Maybe, maybe, maybe not.  Godspeed.     

If you like that type of stuff you can check out mydeathspace.com

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4452 on: May 27, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »
Ok, for all you animal lovers out there, here's a video of him playing.  I'm trying to train him not to tackle anyone because he's 65 pounds now and still growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VQ4S-KAyw

OMG, screw the rest of the threads let's just have a thread about adorable pets!!  Soooo cute!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4453 on: May 27, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »
Ok, for all you animal lovers out there, here's a video of him playing.  I'm trying to train him not to tackle anyone because he's 65 pounds now and still growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VQ4S-KAyw
That towel never stood a chance!  Cute!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4454 on: May 30, 2016, 07:58:33 PM »

Eh, I guess it doesn't take me long cause I'm a clean as you go type of guy.  If I use the microwave and make a mess (rare since I cover everything) I wipe it up immediately before it needs "scrubbing".  While I have the sponge in my hand, the fridge seal takes an extra 5 seconds. 

It's shocking but I recently learned this. My roommate does this and I have followed suit and wow does my kitchen and living room look so much better and it isn't all that much work. It takes less than a minute to wash up dishes after a meal, and seconds to wipe down something if it has spilled. Now I just need to do things like clean the floor every so often.

I may have messed up the quotes... sorry.

Can you get my roommate to do the same thing? I wipe up as I go, and she doesn't. She also doesn't do periodic deep cleans. When I move out, she's getting bugs.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4455 on: May 31, 2016, 05:38:30 AM »

Eh, I guess it doesn't take me long cause I'm a clean as you go type of guy.  If I use the microwave and make a mess (rare since I cover everything) I wipe it up immediately before it needs "scrubbing".  While I have the sponge in my hand, the fridge seal takes an extra 5 seconds. 

It's shocking but I recently learned this. My roommate does this and I have followed suit and wow does my kitchen and living room look so much better and it isn't all that much work. It takes less than a minute to wash up dishes after a meal, and seconds to wipe down something if it has spilled. Now I just need to do things like clean the floor every so often.

I may have messed up the quotes... sorry.

Can you get my roommate to do the same thing? I wipe up as I go, and she doesn't. She also doesn't do periodic deep cleans. When I move out, she's getting bugs.

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4456 on: May 31, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »
Just came across this on my facebook feed...

Late 20-something year old couple - she lived at home due to lack on employment until recently when her boyfriend had her move in...

"Looking for a place to board our dogs when we go away. Somewhere nice, comfortable and cozy.. NOT a typical "kennel." It's worth the price to help keep Jayla's anxiety level low. Suggestions?"

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4457 on: May 31, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »

Late 20-something year old couple - she lived at home due to lack on employment until recently when her boyfriend had her move in...

"Looking for a place to board our dogs when we go away. Somewhere nice, comfortable and cozy.. NOT a typical "kennel." It's worth the price to help keep Jayla's anxiety level low. Suggestions?"
Ooh. Offer to house sit the dogs for $200 a week, in her home, more if special care is required. The. Enjoy free tv, lot of hot showers, maybe even AC depending on where you live. Zero wear and tear on your home and you get $ too.

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4458 on: May 31, 2016, 06:24:02 PM »

Ooh. Offer to house sit the dogs for $200 a week, in her home, more if special care is required. The. Enjoy free tv, lot of hot showers, maybe even AC depending on where you live. Zero wear and tear on your home and you get $ too.

Would have but I am very allergic.  And although I do love money - I do not want to pick up poo unless absolutely necessary.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4459 on: May 31, 2016, 06:31:13 PM »

This isn't too crazy, rover.com is cheaper than a kennel and seems better for the dog IMO.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4460 on: June 01, 2016, 08:07:12 AM »
My friends are idiots. One posted this:

(Text in case the link breaks: Saving 20 odd dollars a week by not going to Dunkin Donuts for coffee isn't going to help when the working poor's real problem is worrying about being able to still make rent if they miss work due to the flu, so let's stop pretending like this "junior piggybank savers/guilt the poor out of simple comforts" technique is a viable solution to the problem of stagnating wages and skyrocketing living costs.)

I am completely 100% on board federally mandatory paid sick leave. And I'll be honest, it's for selfish reasons. I don't want sick people serving me food or stacking my produce or delivering my packages, plus if I wouldn't take a job without paid sick leave why should anyone else.

But $20/week is $1,040 a year. Or, more practically, two weeks of full-time, post-tax take home pay at $15/hour. There's your sick leave. Right there. You don't even have to wait for Congress to do anything.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4461 on: June 01, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »

This isn't too crazy, rover.com is cheaper than a kennel and seems better for the dog IMO.

It may be cheaper, but I don't want strangers touching my stuff :-)  maybe they could combine it with a house cleaning service

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4462 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »

It may be cheaper, but I don't want strangers touching my stuff :-)  maybe they could combine it with a house cleaning service

My dog usually stays in somebody else's house.  No stuff touching possible  (well, unless the dog counts as stuff).  On the other hand, the person who visits my cats when we are away also does house cleaning, so I actually could do this.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4463 on: June 01, 2016, 11:07:13 AM »

My dog usually stays in somebody else's house.  No stuff touching possible  (well, unless the dog counts as stuff).  On the other hand, the person who visits my cats when we are away also does house cleaning, so I actually could do this.

Oh yeah, I've looked into dogvacay and it seemed nice.  So far we've been sending him to a kennel because he is high energy and can play with LOTS of dogs all day, and I'm worried about him damaging someone else's property (he still chews and/or swallows a lot of things he shouldn't when unattended)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4464 on: June 01, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
Regarding pet-sitting while you're going to be on vacation, there are other services where you can get a person to house and pet-sit for you for free.  I saw in anther thread that arebelspy is about to do a 2-month house-sit in Australia through trustedhousesitters.com ("Helping more pet lovers travel - We connect home and pet owners who need a sitter, when going away, with trustworthy people who are happy to sit for FREE.")

I'm curious about the house sitting you plan to do in Australia.  Is a friend/family members house?  A gig you found some other way?

I wish I knew what it was off the top of my head, but he used a service specifically for house sitters. I believe the feedback was that it was a pain to get started, because everyone is looking at reviews, but once you do, a lot of options open up. He has posted details, and I'm almost certain it was earlier in this thread.
it's called Trusted House Sitters.  https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/us/

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4465 on: June 01, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »

(Text in case the link breaks: Saving 20 odd dollars a week by not going to Dunkin Donuts for coffee isn't going to help when the working poor's real problem is worrying about being able to still make rent if they miss work due to the flu, so let's stop pretending like this "junior piggybank savers/guilt the poor out of simple comforts" technique is a viable solution to the problem of stagnating wages and skyrocketing living costs.)

I am completely 100% on board federally mandatory paid sick leave. And I'll be honest, it's for selfish reasons. I don't want sick people serving me food or stacking my produce or delivering my packages, plus if I wouldn't take a job without paid sick leave why should anyone else.

But $20/week is $1,040 a year. Or, more practically, two weeks of full-time, post-tax take home pay at $15/hour. There's your sick leave. Right there. You don't even have to wait for Congress to do anything.

This hit my feed, too.  It was all I could do to refrain from commenting with something very similar to what you've said.  It would not have been received well.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4466 on: June 01, 2016, 05:37:57 PM »

This hit my feed, too.  It was all I could do to refrain from commenting with something very similar to what you've said.  It would not have been received well.

But muh donuts!

Seriously, though, does anyone really spend over $20 per week at Dunkin Donuts?  How is that possible?  Have they reached Starbucks prices?

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4467 on: June 01, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »
But muh donuts!

Seriously, though, does anyone really spend over $20 per week at Dunkin Donuts?  How is that possible?  Have they reached Starbucks prices?

A large coffee even at DD is still almost $3. So if they go every single day and buy a breakfast item just twice a week...yikes.

Someone on reddit.com/r/personalfinance once said they started using Mint and found they were spending ~$300 at Starbucks every month. :-----0

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4468 on: June 01, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »
But muh donuts!

A large coffee even at DD is still almost $3. So if they go every single day and buy a breakfast item just twice a week...yikes.

Someone on reddit.com/r/personalfinance once said they started using Mint and found they were spending ~$300 at Starbucks every month. :-----0

That's $10/day, or $15 if you only go during work days. How the hell do you spend that much, short of buying for your colleagues?

edit: That said, it's great that the guy is realizing this and can now work on reducing that. This could be $300 that he's now able to add to his stash each month, plus as he's likely buying the sugary stuff, he might drop weight and feel loads better.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 07:09:23 PM by MgoSam »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4469 on: June 01, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »
I have a colleague who buys an ice coffee and a breakfast sandwich every single morning. On weekends he takes his grandkids and they each get a pastry of choice. I'm sure he spends $20 per week.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4470 on: June 01, 2016, 08:51:18 PM »
I have a colleague who buys an ice coffee and a breakfast sandwich every single morning. On weekends he takes his grandkids and they each get a pastry of choice. I'm sure he spends $20 per week.

I admit I spend more than $20/week on fast food (barely).  But I'm not poor.  And coffee/doughnuts from a generic non-luxury shop should be like $2/day max.  I guess this makes me an old fogey -- "in my day coffee was a buck and donuts were $0.50! (you can still get out of McDonalds for $2, I bet)

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #4471 on: June 01, 2016, 10:16:31 PM »
When people talk about saving money by quitting Starbucks, I'm always incredulous when someone estimates how much money people can save reduce expenditures.  How many people REALLY go to Starbucks every single day, even on their days off?  Really?  Some people do that, but is it really as common as it is made out to be? 

Even when I went through times of being awful and ate out every day for two weeks, I didn't eat at the same place every single time (that is much worse than going to Starbucks, but what I'm having a hard time conceptualizing is the repetitious  monotony, not the spendypants gluttony).

I wonder what the median number of times per week regular Starbucks customers go to Starbucks?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:26:39 AM by Ann »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4472 on: June 01, 2016, 10:32:44 PM »
When people talk about saving money by quitting Starbucks, I'm always incredulous when someone estimates how much money people can save reduce expenditures by not going to  Starbucks.  How many people REALLY go to Starbucks every single day, even on their days off?  Really?  Some people do that, but is that really as common as is made out to be? 

Even when I went through times of being awful and ate out every day for two weeks, I didn't eat at the same place every single time (that is much worse than going to Starbucks, but what I'm having a hard time conceptualizing is the repetitious  monotony, not the spendypants gluttony).

I wonder what the median number of times per week regular Starbucks customers go to Starbucks?

I would guess 7-10 times per week.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4473 on: June 02, 2016, 06:26:17 AM »
When people talk about saving money by quitting Starbucks, I'm always incredulous when someone estimates how much money people can save reduce expenditures.  How many people REALLY go to Starbucks every single day, even on their days off?  Really?  Some people do that, but is it really as common as it is made out to be? 

My former roommate used to get Starbucks at least once, sometimes twice a day.  Worse than that, he would drive past the one 4 blocks away to get to the one 2 miles away because they had better coffee. 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4474 on: June 02, 2016, 07:25:38 AM »

My former roommate used to get Starbucks at least once, sometimes twice a day.  Worse than that, he would drive past the one 4 blocks away to get to the one 2 miles away because they had better coffee.

These are probably the same people who complain endlessly about how 'busy' and 'hectic' modern life is. I have lots of friends who are always exhausted from going from here to there to there, and documenting it endlessly on their iphone. I'm like, "hmmm, my life isn't hectic at all", as I recline in my garden reading a book. Probably because I make my own coffee in my kitchen rather than driving 2 miles for it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4475 on: June 02, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »
When people talk about saving money by quitting Starbucks, I'm always incredulous when someone estimates how much money people can save reduce expenditures by not going to  Starbucks.  How many people REALLY go to Starbucks every single day, even on their days off?  Really?  Some people do that, but is that really as common as is made out to be? 

So, just based on two coworkers: Morning coffee, 5 days a week. Afternoon coffee, 3-5 days a week (sometimes meetings get in the way). That's just what I see, no idea about weekends.

One of those coworkers was on medical leave for about 3 months recently - preventable type stuff if you eat a decent diet and get some exercise. She also frequently eats fast food for lunch and is overweight.

The other coworker goes to the gym almost daily. Not a problem. But, he's a member of the $300 a month gym across the street instead of the $20 a month gym in the building. Why? Cause the one in the building doesn't have a basketball court. Oh, and yeah, he can't play basketball because he messed up his shoulder. How? Playing basketball.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4476 on: June 02, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »

So, just based on two coworkers: Morning coffee, 5 days a week. Afternoon coffee, 3-5 days a week (sometimes meetings get in the way). That's just what I see, no idea about weekends.

One of those coworkers was on medical leave for about 3 months recently - preventable type stuff if you eat a decent diet and get some exercise. She also frequently eats fast food for lunch and is overweight.

The other coworker goes to the gym almost daily. Not a problem. But, he's a member of the $300 a month gym across the street instead of the $20 a month gym in the building. Why? Cause the one in the building doesn't have a basketball court. Oh, and yeah, he can't play basketball because he messed up his shoulder. How? Playing basketball.
WHAT! is that real or are you exaggerating? I used to play pick up games of basketball down at the YMCA a couple times a week. It was a good way to get cardio in and not be stuck running or biking for long periods of time. My membership was paid for by my employer but would have really considered paying a monthly fee for access to the basketball courts. obviously not $300 a month. The Y also had a pool and a pretty decent but crowded free weights area.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4477 on: June 02, 2016, 01:00:58 PM »

WHAT! is that real or are you exaggerating? I used to play pick up games of basketball down at the YMCA a couple times a week. It was a good way to get cardio in and not be stuck running or biking for long periods of time. My membership was paid for by my employer but would have really considered paying a monthly fee for access to the basketball courts. obviously not $300 a month. The Y also had a pool and a pretty decent but crowded free weights area.

I'm sure a $300/mo gym is full of business prospects, attractive women, and includes pools, saunas, steam rooms, spas, various sport courts, etc.  Maybe subsidized food.  It's getting into country club territory.  Obviously it's ridiculous to pay that just for basketball but maybe the friend isn't explaining the real reasons (status?)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4478 on: June 02, 2016, 02:18:54 PM »

I'm sure a $300/mo gym is full of business prospects, attractive women, and includes pools, saunas, steam rooms, spas, various sport courts, etc.  Maybe subsidized food.  It's getting into country club territory.  Obviously it's ridiculous to pay that just for basketball but maybe the friend isn't explaining the real reasons (status?)

Yeah, depending on your area there's quite a bit of varieties in the qualities of gyms. I used to be a member of LA Fitness for $20/month, which was essentially free after insurance deductible (12 visits), but the facilities were absolute shit, the employees couldn't care less, and yeah. I used to be a member of Lifetime Fitness which has a few different levels, the basic one was going to be around $55/month for me, and that included access to a few different facilities. These are WAY better than LA Fitness, and most of them are 24 hours, which is nice when you have trouble sleeping and feel like working out. The next level above is even nicer, the facilities are much better and I felt like the employees were way better. Then they have at least one or two more premium levels that included access to better gyms, I believe one includes having someone there to wash your clothes while you shower...and one premium level is there solely because it includes a location in downtown Minneapolis where the Timberwolves players also work out.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4479 on: June 03, 2016, 08:33:14 AM »

This just came up on my page, and I replied with math.  Friend went on the rant about stagnating wages and poor people not just being lazy.  I replied again.  With the same math.  Which won't change the country's problems, but certainly mean that people can help themselves while they're waiting for that change.  I haven't heard back from that one yet.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4480 on: June 03, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
I wish I could respond with math. The issue is that these are friends from college, where I got a business degree and they got social science degrees. In college, I was "the conservative" in the group for arguing that stock market participation is not inherently evil.

And now, any argument around money is "Merula doesn't know what it's like because she has a good job." Despite the fact that I can point to $200 in monthly spending that the original poster has that I don't, just from what she posts to fb. (Three subscription boxes and an energy drink habit. Not to mention the fact that her kids have twice the toys mine do.)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4481 on: June 03, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
I wish I could respond with math. The issue is that these are friends from college, where I got a business degree and they got social science degrees. In college, I was "the conservative" in the group for arguing that stock market participation is not inherently evil.

And now, any argument around money is "Merula doesn't know what it's like because she has a good job." Despite the fact that I can point to $200 in monthly spending that the original poster has that I don't, just from what she posts to fb. (Three subscription boxes and an energy drink habit. Not to mention the fact that her kids have twice the toys mine do.)

Most of my friends ended up with theater degrees like mine, so I can math at them all I want.  Also... the one who posted it, I haven't seen in 10 years, and we weren't that great of friends to begin with.  I decided I was ok offending him with math.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #4482 on: June 03, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »

Most of my friends ended up with theater degrees like mine, so I can math at them all I want.  Also... the one who posted it, I haven't seen in 10 years, and we weren't that great of friends to begin with.  I decided I was ok offending him with math.

I understand being offended by stagnating wages and skyrocketing COL. Those are bad things. But when someone is offended by math, I mentally put them in the same camp as somebody who's offended by gravity - they're an idiot.

I'm a lot of fun at parties, in case you couldn't tell.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4483 on: June 03, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »
But when someone is offended by math, I mentally put them in the same camp as somebody who's offended by gravity - they're an idiot.
I'm offended by gravity
But I'm a physicist

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4484 on: June 03, 2016, 02:40:18 PM »
But when someone is offended by math, I mentally put them in the same camp as somebody who's offended by gravity - they're an idiot.
I'm offended by gravity
But I'm a physicist

Physicists have every right to be offended by gravity.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4485 on: June 03, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »
I'm offended by gravity
But I'm a physicist

A physicist, eh?  Perhaps you will appreciate this little nugget:
Bahfest: Louie Terrill - Halting Terrestrial Rotation: The Benefits
BAHFest is a celebration of well-argued and thoroughly researched but completely incorrect scientific theory. Additional information is available at http://bahfest.com/
BAHFest, short for "Festival of Bad ad Hoc Hypotheses," is meant to be entirely humorous.  Please don't take any of it seriously.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4486 on: June 05, 2016, 08:23:25 AM »
I'm offended by gravity
But I'm a physicist

Well I'm not a physicist and while I always find gravity attractive, I am a little put off by it's weakness.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4487 on: June 05, 2016, 09:21:21 AM »
I'm offended by gravity
But I'm a physicist

Gµv=8πG(Tµv+P∧gµv)

That should ease your concerns.  :-)

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4488 on: June 05, 2016, 11:06:08 AM »
This one was on my wall today:
Just an observation open to your opinion if you'd like:
Traveling through Colorado recently, I realized the difference between the south and the rest of the country. Location after location, we were seeing where, when waving at people in camp grounds when there was nobody else around ... and when some were nice enough to let us into traffic lines, they showed no response. NONE! When going through doors, there was little effort to hold doors open ... even for [SO]. To top it all off, we were presented with the most welcoming of all liberal gestures one day.  [SO] was getting a couple of items in a supermarket while I waited outside in the truck. Instead of the big rig taking up a parking space, I found a big open space off to the side of all the other cars. When I thought [SO] might be exiting the store, I pulled up to where I thought she might exit. 5 minutes passed and I drove around instead of double parking in everyones way. I did this twice. On my third time around, keep in mind I'm trying to be courteous here ... I see this 20'ish year old LOOSER leaving the parking lot hollering "FUCK TEXAS!!". You know the kind of guy. The kind driving a 20 year old import car, it's beat up, big muffler, different colored fenders, ratty looking dirty rims and straight up ghetto. Stunned, I immediately thought "Todays modern Liberal". Is this what America has turned into? Haters who do nothing to better themselves yet hate anyone who has nice material things that they worked hard for??! I think so. I'm still trying to figure out if its just a liberal thing or a Colorado thing. In hind sight, I think its both ... since on the way back in Texas, we stopped at many stores where doors where held open while we said thank you, [SO] had a conversation with two women, total strangers.... in one of the store restrooms, I was nodded at by many along with countless other gestures of kindness and politeness we saw nothing of in Colorado. I pack a lot of things I might need when camping. Can anyone tell me where I can get some thick skin for todays America?

I love how he bragged about his gas guzzler 'big rig', drove around the parking lot 3 times while waiting for his SO, assumed this other person was a vagrant or something, and berated his 20 year old car. 

I'm temped to post this back on his wall...
"I think this 'LOOSER' got it right... FUCK TEXAS."

Honestly, I lived in Houston for 13 years... and I'm so glad I left.  The pollution, trash, big rigs, traffic, humidity, and racism (yes, racism is HUGE there - still) all make me sick.

[edit] AND I forgot to mention that he posted this jewel to confirm his stupidity.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:10:53 AM by COEE »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4489 on: June 05, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »
"No, haters today prefer to berate people on social media to assert their moral superiority and feel good about their lives, while caring far too much what other people think about them."

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4490 on: June 05, 2016, 01:18:38 PM »
I love how he bragged about his gas guzzler 'big rig', drove around the parking lot 3 times while waiting for his SO, assumed this other person was a vagrant or something, and berated his 20 year old car. 

In fairness to your friend, the Colorado dude took the first swipe when he spontaneously shouted out, "Fuck Texas!"  That was pretty asshole-ish.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #4491 on: June 05, 2016, 01:50:21 PM »
Friend of mine posted a photograph of her brand new car today and commented on how expensive it was. At first I was envious (I don't have a vehicle), but then I thought, nope, no way do I want those outrageous monthly payments (not to mention gas, parking, maintenance, etc) - I am content with my bicycle and my two feet (with a little public transit here and there).

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4492 on: June 05, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »

In fairness to your friend, the Colorado dude took the first swipe when he spontaneously shouted out, "Fuck Texas!"  That was pretty asshole-ish.

No doubt it was an asshole thing to do! 

I don't know the other guys side of the story, but I if I had sat there and watched this 'big rig' with CO plates full of camping gear take up multiple parking spaces with his motor running, drive up to the front of the store, park for 5 minutes at the front of the store with his motor running and forcing people to walk/drive around him, and then take two laps like it was Texas Motor Speedway, all while blowing black smoke in everyone's face, I would have probably thought the same thing... maybe not been so outspoken about it, but I would have thought the same thing.  And then I would have got in my rusted out, but paid for, '97 Jeep.

These things don't usually happen in Colorado - and when they do - about 50% of the time - you guessed it - out of state plates.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:06:53 PM by COEE »

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #4493 on: June 05, 2016, 08:39:34 PM »
I'm offended that the guy was offended by the comment "fuck Texas." I hated Austin and have no desire to go back there. San Antonio was OK. Houston has a decent airport but that's all I've seen of it.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #4494 on: June 06, 2016, 01:50:06 AM »
I'm offended that the guy was offended by the comment "fuck Texas." I hated Austin and have no desire to go back there. San Antonio was OK. Houston has a decent airport but that's all I've seen of it.

But basically, anytime someone tells you to go fuck yourself, it is MEANT to be offensive.  If you were traveling and (assuming you were American) someone told you to "Fuck the US", wouldn't you perceive that as a rude gesture?  Would you be offended?  Maybe not.  But surely you recognize that it is rude even if you don't agree with US policy.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4495 on: June 06, 2016, 05:50:48 AM »
His big rig gets better gas mileage than my car. Sad but true. On the other hand, my car cost $4k, and his probably is costing hike twice that every year.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4496 on: June 06, 2016, 06:25:57 AM »

How exactly would strangers clean your house without touching your stuff?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4497 on: June 06, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »

How exactly would strangers clean your house without touching your stuff?

They should wear white gloves, naturally ;-)

MostlyBearded

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4498 on: June 06, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »
Background - this friend works for the most volatile 'fire employees for nothing at a moments notice' boss that I have ever met, he also has 2 children under 6 years old. Told me once about how he managed to get out of paying 2k debt on a credit card using some loophole but ended up with the worst credit report I have ever seen! Moaned for months about the cost of renting in our town but collects expensive trainers, treats himself and his family frequently. Overall earns a slightly above average income but never EVER EVER has any money due to ridiculous consumer spending habits...

"Anyone I know work in car sales on here that can source BMW, Audi, Mercedes financing based on affordability as opposed to credit scores?"

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4499 on: June 06, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »
I'm offended by gravity
But I'm a physicist

Gravity is quite the downer. If you stop resisting you'll go 6 ft deeper.