Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082577 times)

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3250 on: October 15, 2015, 02:31:16 PM »
wasn't the inquisition 400 years ago?

Well, that's what they want you to expect.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3251 on: October 15, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »
wasn't the inquisition 400 years ago?

Well, that's what they want you to expect.

NOBODY expects the Spanish inquisition!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3252 on: October 15, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »

Seems like a good time to me.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3253 on: October 15, 2015, 03:34:07 PM »
Pretty sure the monty python documentary about it came out this century. That means it was recent. (Okay, I missed the qualifier.)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3254 on: October 15, 2015, 07:12:37 PM »
How about the Inquisition, merula? Is that #4, maybe #5?
NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

... particularly since it pretty much fizzled out and was eventually abolished in 1834.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3255 on: October 15, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »

It wasn't this century.

Neither are the cited civil war or Franco!
I took that to mean within the past 100 years.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #3256 on: October 15, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Spanish inquisition ended before this century...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3257 on: October 16, 2015, 03:14:42 AM »

She said "this century". By which she presumably means either the 20th C or the last 100 years.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3258 on: October 16, 2015, 06:05:34 AM »
She already said she missed the qualifier. Apology accepted. Now back to facebook.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3259 on: October 16, 2015, 06:12:09 AM »

Seems like a good time to me.

No love for history of the world? :( 

I thought I was going to get some kind of internet award for that one. lol

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #3260 on: October 16, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »
Copied and pasted:

I'm already shrugging off the guilt for a purchase I plan on making tomorrow. x)

Jesus take the wheel.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3261 on: October 16, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »
Oh, FFS--an online acquaintance, who is on disability for "anxiety issues" and whose live-in boyfriend doesn't make a lot of money, posted yet AGAIN about her two cats' various medical problems, all of which involve tons of tests and pricy medicines.  Their vet bills are approaching five figures, and she freely admits to skipping meals and bills to pay.  The cats in question are SEVENTEEN and SIXTEEN years old.  She switched vets last year when the previous one told her she was flushing money down the toilet and all he was doing was prolonging their suffering.  Her reasoning is that the cats were alive when her parents were alive and it "keeps my memories of Mom and Dad."  This would be the same mom and dad who were physically and emotionally abusive according to her.  Those poor cats.  :(

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3262 on: October 16, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »
Oh, FFS--an online acquaintance, who is on disability for "anxiety issues" and whose live-in boyfriend doesn't make a lot of money, posted yet AGAIN about her two cats' various medical problems, all of which involve tons of tests and pricy medicines.  Their vet bills are approaching five figures, and she freely admits to skipping meals and bills to pay.  The cats in question are SEVENTEEN and SIXTEEN years old.  She switched vets last year when the previous one told her she was flushing money down the toilet and all he was doing was prolonging their suffering.  Her reasoning is that the cats were alive when her parents were alive and it "keeps my memories of Mom and Dad."  This would be the same mom and dad who were physically and emotionally abusive according to her.  Those poor cats.  :(

Good thing I don't know her, I'd hit her over the head. Bad enough that people do cancer treatments for animals. My 16 year old cat is starting kidney problems, but she loves the "treatment" - extra wet food. I'll do palliative care, but I'm not going to make her miserable or allow her to suffer. Luckily, no where near that yet!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3263 on: October 17, 2015, 06:34:03 AM »
Copied and pasted:

I'm already shrugging off the guilt for a purchase I plan on making tomorrow. x)

Jesus take the wheel.

Good one. It would be funny if it was literally a car. Did you find out what it was?

At least they have a quasi-sense of humor about it. Or did they say it without any sense of levity?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3264 on: October 17, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »
The Dragon Age Inquisition?

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3265 on: October 21, 2015, 03:44:48 AM »

Yea no... we had friends like that, went into huge debt over a dachsund that slipped a vertebrae.. dog eventually died after expensively prolonging its wretched life for months past its natural time. By the end it was pushing itself around on an adapted wheel board contraption and wearing a diaper. It was actually a form of cruelty that they couldn't stand to let it go.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3266 on: October 21, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »

Yea no... we had friends like that, went into huge debt over a dachsund that slipped a vertebrae.. dog eventually died after expensively prolonging its wretched life for months past its natural time. By the end it was pushing itself around on an adapted wheel board contraption and wearing a diaper. It was actually a form of cruelty that they couldn't stand to let it go.

We have an 18 year old cat that is losing weight and starting to hobble around more. Otherwise he doesn't appear to be in pain and is still continent. We're trying to decide what to do moving forward. We'll probably just let him decline at home without medical intervention. If he starts to really demonstrate suffering, we'll likely take him to the vet to be put down. I don't know if that's the right tactic, but I see no reason to prolong his life if he is suffering. He has lived a long life for a cat.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3267 on: October 21, 2015, 10:01:13 AM »
We have an 18 year old cat that is losing weight and starting to hobble around more. Otherwise he doesn't appear to be in pain and is still continent. We're trying to decide what to do moving forward. We'll probably just let him decline at home without medical intervention. If he starts to really demonstrate suffering, we'll likely take him to the vet to be put down. I don't know if that's the right tactic, but I see no reason to prolong his life if he is suffering. He has lived a long life for a cat.

This was a tough year to be a Mandalay Beast--we had four cats die on us in eight months.  Two went very suddenly; one had been on medication for a while but the vet told us in the end it would stop working and it did, and the last was Meg, our 18-year-old matriarch.  One thing that I've decided is worth the money is in-home euthanasia.  When it was obvious Meg's time had come we had a vet come to our condo, and Meg lay on my lap as she liked to do and got petting and love, and she went very peacefully.  We still have four that are in good shape, but they're 16, 14, 12 and 9.  I think I'm just going to get a stuffed Lil Bub and leave it at that for cat ownership in the future.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3268 on: October 21, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »

This was a tough year to be a Mandalay Beast--we had four cats die on us in eight months.  Two went very suddenly; one had been on medication for a while but the vet told us in the end it would stop working and it did, and the last was Meg, our 18-year-old matriarch.  One thing that I've decided is worth the money is in-home euthanasia.  When it was obvious Meg's time had come we had a vet come to our condo, and Meg lay on my lap as she liked to do and got petting and love, and she went very peacefully.  We still have four that are in good shape, but they're 16, 14, 12 and 9.  I think I'm just going to get a stuffed Lil Bub and leave it at that for cat ownership in the future.

Thanks for the info! This will be our last cat. With three kids I just don't have the ability to give the love and attention they deserve. I will be sad when our cat passes but also somewhat relieved that I won't have to clean up after him anymore.

I had never heard of in-home euthanasia. I have to confess that we haven't taken this cat to the vet in years. Would that cause a problem obtaining the service? I mentioned to my husband that I would be irked if, right before we euthanized him, they made us update our cat's immunizations or charged us a lot since he hasn't been in a while.

rockinxrobynx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3269 on: October 21, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »
The Dragon Age Inquisition?

This is literally the first thing that came to my mind.
I mean, we don't like those damn qunari, right? ;)

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3270 on: October 21, 2015, 03:46:01 PM »
Vets generally don't like just being called for the in-home euthanization and nothing beforehand.  One said to me that it was the most heart-rending part of the job, and she felt annoyed when people called her in to do it when they hadn't used her services beforehand -- like "Do the dirty work, but you don't get to do any of the healing or care of the cat beforehand, we don't care enough for that."

One thing is that cats commonly hide their conditions if they're ill, so if your cat has, say, kidney disease or bad teeth (and bad teeth can be extremely painful), you won't know until the condition gets so extreme that they can't hide it.  In the case of kidney disease, that will be convulsions.  It's worth taking your cat in for a checkup every few years, just to make sure nothing's getting by you and causing your cat unnecesssary pain.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3271 on: October 21, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »
We just used in-home euthanasia for our dog yesterday and it was a wonderful option to have available. In my area, there are vets that only do this service, and I found the vet (and they are all licensed vets) we used with a quick google search. Our regular vet doesn't do home visits, and any visit to the vet's office stressed our dog out. I was grateful we were able to avoid that at the end of her life with us.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3272 on: October 21, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »
any visit to the vet's office stressed our dog out. I was grateful we were able to avoid that at the end of her life with us.

I'm sorry for your loss. I completely agree that an in-home visit would be best as it's a place that she knows well and yeah, dogs tend to associate the vet's office as a place for pain and stress.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3273 on: October 21, 2015, 05:14:46 PM »
We just used in-home euthanasia for our dog yesterday and it was a wonderful option to have available. In my area, there are vets that only do this service, and I found the vet (and they are all licensed vets) we used with a quick google search. Our regular vet doesn't do home visits, and any visit to the vet's office stressed our dog out. I was grateful we were able to avoid that at the end of her life with us.

:( I'm sorry for your loss. I was actually wondering about this as my dog is terrified of the vet.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3274 on: October 21, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
One advantage of getting flea and worm medicine from my vet is that I take my dog in with me when I do it, and he gets to sniff around the waiting room (I go in between surgery hours), is petted by the nurse and is weighed for free in the consulting room in return for a treat.  As a result he considers visiting the vet to be an enjoyable stop, and the occasional indignity of having his temperature taken and so on during an actual consultation seems to figure fairly low for him.  Paying a bit more for the flea medicine would be worth it just for that, even disregarding the fact that I can get the most appropriate and up to date medicines for whatever infestations are going around locally.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #3275 on: October 21, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »
I have a friend whose car died, and she needs a new car. Earlier this week, she posted on Facebook, stating that she only has $500 to her name. I see today, she somehow wound up with a 2010 Chrysler 300. BRILLIANT!

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3276 on: October 21, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »
Post from a local broker.  I'm jealous of the guy because he's really successfull (at least I think he is.)

But the damn logic of this post blow my mind.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3277 on: October 21, 2015, 06:13:25 PM »
I'm jealous of the guy because he's really successfull (at least I think he is.)

I would recommend against feeling envious of others, though it can be difficult. He may appear to be successful, but then again, he may have a high spender and might feel the need to work harder just to keep up his style of living.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3278 on: October 21, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
Post from a local broker.  I'm jealous of the guy because he's really successfull (at least I think he is.)

Don't be jealous of this guy; he is barely literate.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3279 on: October 22, 2015, 07:41:19 AM »

I'm not sure if I've gotten used to shitty writing or if you're very picky, but I barely noticed the bad grammar.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3280 on: October 22, 2015, 07:43:19 AM »
I have a friend whose car died, and she needs a new car. Earlier this week, she posted on Facebook, stating that she only has $500 to her name. I see today, she somehow wound up with a 2010 Chrysler 300. BRILLIANT!

hahaha - my brain automatically processed this as cat initially after the past few posts.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3281 on: October 22, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »

We had to do this to our old English Setter. She loved car rides so the vet put her to sleep laying in her bed in the "wayback" (cargo area) when we drove to the vet's office. She never knew it was coming and went without a worry in the world. We cried like  babies all the way home. Had her cremated and sprinkled her ashes along a favorite hiking trail.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3282 on: October 22, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »

I'm not sure if I've gotten used to shitty writing or if you're very picky, but I barely noticed the bad grammar.
Really? It made my skin crawl!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3283 on: October 22, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »
My first cat hated hated the vet, it was a struggle to get him in the carrier and he would be yowling, scratching, breathing heavy, in extreme distress. When at the vet me petting him and talking to him would somewhat break through to him but he would still be breathing heavy and terrified. And as soon as exam done, would duck into carrier. 
My 2nd cat doesn't like to go to the vet and in the carrier (will hide) but won't fight us if we can catch her. She is wiley, and has been times we have had to cancel scheduled appointments because we could not find her.

None of our dogs had problems with the vet. It's yay! a car ride and yay! get to smell these other animals in the office.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3284 on: October 22, 2015, 12:04:19 PM »

Why does it do that? I'm seriously asking. I can understand wanting to sound professional and being clear in your message, but beyond that, why does it bother you? I'm not trying to call you out, but understand why so many people on the internet seem fascinated by someone's misspellings, esp when it's clear that what they meant to type.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3285 on: October 22, 2015, 12:27:16 PM »

Why does it do that? I'm seriously asking. I can understand wanting to sound professional and being clear in your message, but beyond that, why does it bother you? I'm not trying to call you out, but understand why so many people on the internet seem fascinated by someone's misspellings, esp when it's clear that what they meant to type.

As an editor, I love that people make mistakes. It keeps me in business. The most egregious mistake in that realtor's post was the use of "there" instead of "their." If you can't catch that after re-reading once or twice -- which every professional should do before they post something on social media -- you need some assistance.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #3286 on: October 22, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »

I'm not the person who said that, but it bugged me too. I just hate seeing shoddy work. It's like a wobbly chair, or a song with missed notes, or a poorly exposed photograph. It's grating, and it makes me think that the person behind it is incompetent or just doesn't care.

What really bugs me personally is the awkward and verbose sentence structure. What does it even mean to "come out of your savings account"? How did you even get in there? "Money is near the all-time low of how cheap it is to borrow" ... could we just say "Borrowing is very inexpensive", or "interest rates are low"?

Anyway, just my opinion, I understand it doesn't mean the same things to everyone.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3287 on: October 22, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »
It's shitty writing. It doesn't belong in a serious publication of any kind. Not even an ad.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3288 on: October 22, 2015, 02:35:29 PM »

I'm not the person who said that, but it bugged me too. I just hate seeing shoddy work. It's like a wobbly chair, or a song with missed notes, or a poorly exposed photograph. It's grating, and it makes me think that the person behind it is incompetent or just doesn't care.

What really bugs me personally is the awkward and verbose sentence structure. What does it even mean to "come out of your savings account"? How did you even get in there? "Money is near the all-time low of how cheap it is to borrow" ... could we just say "Borrowing is very inexpensive", or "interest rates are low"?

Anyway, just my opinion, I understand it doesn't mean the same things to everyone.

yeah. normally i don't care so much about bad spelling and grammar, but this case is galling to me because this person is attempting to give financial and life advice, like he thinks he is a pretty smart guy and he has wisdom to offer the masses and we don't even know what we are missing out on!!!

fucking moronic condescending tool.

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #3289 on: October 22, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
It's shitty writing. It doesn't belong in a serious publication of any kind. Not even an ad.

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #3290 on: October 22, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »

Agreed! I hate passive voice. But yeah, I have a side-gig editing, so this stuff adds to the 'stash and I love it for that.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #3291 on: October 22, 2015, 07:39:10 PM »

I'm sorry for your loss!

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3292 on: October 23, 2015, 01:13:53 AM »

I don't often care about misspellings, but this particular example is totally grating. It's not even readable.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3293 on: October 23, 2015, 04:19:10 AM »
Currently I'm living in Spain. A lot of xenophobia here, by British ex-pats aimed at 'bloody foreigners coming to our (UK) shores, not integrating, taking the place over'. Said without a touch of irony, as they sit in a British bar on the edge of their mainly British housing complex where they eat their ready meals bought from UK stores. After a few months I speak better Spanish than any of them. And that's not exactly fluent.

REALLY?! I yearn for the day when everyone arguing for restricted free movement to the UK in Europe is forced to realise that that stuff goes two ways. Sure, foreigners can't move here, but you can't have your holiday home in France or retire to Spain.

Well, yea but... there's a difference between someone retiring wealthy in another country, and someone immigrating in poverty to the same country. Not to come off on the side of the racists, but it's clearly two separate cases and the responses from locals will be quite different. Sure you can't speak my language and refuse to eat my food, but you have money so bienvenido!

Eh, I think it's the same thing. One issue is having economic migrants vs rich retired people come to a country, but once they get there then the 'integration' thing is the same. "Oh, all these foreigners coming over here not speaking our language and wanting to eat all their foreign food and only see other foreign people" - the culture issue is the same for both groups. The economic arguments may be different but large groups of Brits eating marmite on the Costa del Sol has an equally damaging effect on culture and society.

I see this with retired Brits who travel the world. They hate the idea of all immigrants here, but they expect that they should be welcomed the world over.

I don't think having money makes it any better, morally. I understand tourism is an important part of the economy for many places, but it's the attitude that bugs me. It's almost imperialist - the idea that Britain is only for the British (errrrr, define please), but the world is their playground.

They go to Muslim countries and complain the booze is too expensive. They expect British levels of hygiene in food preparations, and complain about how the locals handle raw meat (whilst happy enough to eat it and tell you it was only £2!!!). They think everyone should understand English, and if they don't, they'll just talk louder. They would never THINK of 'integrating' beyond rolling their eyes as they cover their shoulders to visit an interesting religious site.

Yet they think they have an inalienable right to travel the world over, and if a country requires a visa, they are almost offended!

But heaven forfend someone wanting to improve the quality of their and their family's life should come to Britain, work damn hard, and still want to eat curry. They'll immediately roll out the 'When in Rome...!' whilst giving me handy hints on where to stay in Dubai if I want to drink.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3294 on: October 23, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »
I'm not like that and I'm British, migrants are a huge benefit to the economy.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3295 on: October 23, 2015, 04:29:50 AM »

For clarity, Londoner38, I'm British too! Obviously I was talking about a select few people who behave this way. Just like any other race / Nationality, we're not all alike! But it's an attitude I see regularly, unfortunately.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3296 on: October 23, 2015, 04:33:01 AM »

For clarity, Londoner38, I'm British too! Obviously I was talking about a select few people who behave this way. Just like any other race / Nationality, we're not all alike! But it's an attitude I see regularly, unfortunately.

Some people probably are like that, we have Ukip after all, but I think it tends to be a mindset of the older generation and hopefully it will die with them. :P

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3297 on: October 23, 2015, 04:40:34 AM »

Some people probably are like that, we have Ukip after all, but I think it tends to be a mindset of the older generation and hopefully it will die with them. :P

I'm very hopeful it will! Unfortunately older people are more likely to go out and vote, which is why UKIP are especially problematic. I was actually much cheered by how badly they did in the General Election (as well as confounded by Nigel Farage's resignation / reinstatement dance that he likes to do periodically). 

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #3298 on: October 23, 2015, 08:49:58 AM »
Copied and pasted:

Jesus take the wheel.

Good one. It would be funny if it was literally a car. Did you find out what it was?

At least they have a quasi-sense of humor about it. Or did they say it without any sense of levity?

It was high-end cosmetics. I think she was serious.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3299 on: October 23, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »

I see this with retired Brits who travel the world. They hate the idea of all immigrants here, but they expect that they should be welcomed the world over.

Funny, for a while I thought that this was just how everyone viewed us Americans. But I see that sillyness expands beyond our national boundaries.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/tourists-disrupt-turtle-nesting-grounds-in-costa-rica/57292/