Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082628 times)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #2950 on: September 02, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »
Hey, don't blame us that you guys cannot afford a real set of 50 states and have to make do with 6 or (shudder) unlucky 13...
Maybe they should do like some office buildings and hotels do when they number floors. Instead of the unlucky thirteenth province, you could have province #12A.

I like to believe that Ministry of Magic offices are located on the "missing" "skipped" 13th floor and that if I wasn't a muggle I would be able to find them...

(Harry Potter y'all.)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2951 on: September 02, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
You can only skip so many in-home parties until people start getting annoyed you are a hermit; and it appears women my age only socialize through sales...so I'd rather not lose friends.

You need better quality friends.

I agree, but the point still stands. If you aren't available then eventually your friends may stop inviting you. That said, if your friends' sole means of socializing is through sale parties...I too concur, it might be a good time to look for additional friends.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2952 on: September 02, 2015, 07:43:11 PM »
Maybe they should do like some office buildings and hotels do when they number floors. Instead of the unlucky thirteenth province, you could have province #12A.
I did not know that! I do know that buildings East Asian countries often do not have the 4th floor named as such.
I think it's much more common in the US for office buildings, hotels, and other high-rises to skip the 13th floor -- 11, 12, 14, 15 ...  But, yeah, no one wants to be on 13!

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2953 on: September 02, 2015, 10:15:43 PM »
Hey, don't blame us that you guys cannot afford a real set of 50 states and have to make do with 6 or (shudder) unlucky 13...
We created an entirely new one - bigger than the whole of western europe.

Now we just need to find a way of exporting them .... and a buyer

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2954 on: September 03, 2015, 03:58:42 AM »
I did not know that! I do know that buildings East Asian countries often do not have the 4th floor named as such.
I think it's much more common in the US for office buildings, hotels, and other high-rises to skip the 13th floor -- 11, 12, 14, 15 ...  But, yeah, no one wants to be on 13!

Many buildings have their infrastructure stuff on floors 13 and 14 for this reason.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2955 on: September 03, 2015, 07:38:35 AM »

I agree, but the point still stands. If you aren't available then eventually your friends may stop inviting you. That said, if your friends' sole means of socializing is through sale parties...I too concur, it might be a good time to look for additional friends.

It seems to be the only way they socialize without kids around. We do lots of cookouts and potlucks as a giant group.

But really- DH's friends only seem to socialize through poker nights; so that is monetized too.  Either way we both spend $20 to hang out with our friends. The difference is at the end of the night he often comes home with 2-3x what he started with and I come home with nail polish, wine, or tupperware...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2956 on: September 03, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »

It seems to be the only way they socialize without kids around. We do lots of cookouts and potlucks as a giant group.

But really- DH's friends only seem to socialize through poker nights; so that is monetized too.  Either way we both spend $20 to hang out with our friends. The difference is at the end of the night he often comes home with 2-3x what he started with and I come home with nail polish, wine, or tupperware...

Yeah, that's rough. I do enjoy a good poker night, and I'm a passable player so I usually will break even (sometimes I'm up sometimes I"m down), but for me the loss nights go under my mental 'entertainment budget.'

It's your call, but let's say that you spend $20 on a bottle of wine to be social. I am assuming that you enjoy wine, it may be worth the added expense (if the bottle would be like $15 in a store) to keep and maintain your friendship. This is just a suggestion, I don't know how close you are with your friends, but I can tell you that my parents are feeling really lonely because they don't have any close friends (this is due to a lot of reasons), and yeah, I feel bad knowing that they wish they would be invited to things when they are sitting at home on a Saturday watching TV.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2957 on: September 03, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »
Several facebook people get sucked into these pyramid health shake schemes. It's a recurrent cycle "Come to my ____ party!", "I feel so great from ____ supplement!", "I've lost 4 pounds in 6 months because of ____!"

If it takes you 6 months to lose 4 pounds maybe you should stop eating cookies and drinking pumpkin spice lattes for a minute and go for a walk.

Additionally, they are all obese, alcoholic, and smokers.

One acquaintance on FB has been hyping the Beach Body stuff for over two years now and actually appears to have put on more weight than when she started selling it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2958 on: September 03, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »

It's your call, but let's say that you spend $20 on a bottle of wine to be social. I am assuming that you enjoy wine, it may be worth the added expense (if the bottle would be like $15 in a store) to keep and maintain your friendship. This is just a suggestion, I don't know how close you are with your friends, but I can tell you that my parents are feeling really lonely because they don't have any close friends (this is due to a lot of reasons), and yeah, I feel bad knowing that they wish they would be invited to things when they are sitting at home on a Saturday watching TV.

No, I don't drink!  But DH loves the wine I bring home from the MLM parties :)  (A lot more than tupperware, that's for sure.)

I just consider it a cost of the friendship. I mean, we could be going to the movies or out to dinner or something... at least this way it is more of a cozy gathering at someone's house.

Plus, I think I may have saved more in dog boarding than I've spent at parties :)
And they generally know if it is jewerly or makeup I'm not buying- so I don't buy at EVERY party.

It's just so silly that this is apparently the only way women interact these days.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #2959 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:09 AM »
Many buildings have their infrastructure stuff on floors 13 and 14 for this reason.
I learned something quite interesting today!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2960 on: September 03, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »
It's just so silly that this is apparently the only way women interact these days.
I think you're generalizing too much :-)  Maybe you just got caught up in a local fad. I'm a 38-year-old woman and no woman I know has ever done a sales party, unless they went to great lengths to hide it from me.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2961 on: September 03, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »
I think you're generalizing too much :-)  Maybe you just got caught up in a local fad. I'm a 38-year-old woman and no woman I know has ever done a sales party, unless they went to great lengths to hide it from me.

You're so lucky. I've been invited to these things since I was like 15, though it really ramped up once college was over/people got married.  In different friend groups (6 different cities), in different states.

Unmarried there seems to be a lot of bar hopping, but since I've been married since I graduated, I never got invited on those trips. Which is good. I'd rather pretend to care about overpriced mascara than go to a bar.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2962 on: September 03, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »

You're so lucky. I've been invited to these things since I was like 15, though it really ramped up once college was over/people got married.  In different friend groups (6 different cities), in different states.

Unmarried there seems to be a lot of bar hopping, but since I've been married since I graduated, I never got invited on those trips. Which is good. I'd rather pretend to care about overpriced mascara than go to a bar.

Also late 30s. I've been to a few, but they are pretty rare among my friends. We have occasional girls nights with clothing swaps or sometimes crafty things, or playing around with make-up, or games, or a combination of multiple things depending on what everyone wants to do. Or games nights. Or BBQs, potlucks, backyard fires. Camping. Hiking. House parties. Pub nights.

I do have a couple Facebook friends who don't live close to me that advertise such parties on occasion, but certainly it's not the norm.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2963 on: September 03, 2015, 11:47:52 AM »
Or games nights. Or BBQs, potlucks, backyard fires. Camping. Hiking. House parties. Pub nights.

Hmmm, around here- these things all happen with kids around too.

I did a lot of craft nights before people started having kids (I don't have any yet)- but those seemed to have fallen out of favor once kids showed up. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2964 on: September 03, 2015, 11:49:54 AM »

Have you ever checked out Meetup.com? I don't know what your interests are, but there is a good chance you can find some people that share an interest of yours. I haven't done it that much, but it is a great concept. Of course, if you are living in a rural area it can be harder, but it is something I recommend to everyone.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2965 on: September 03, 2015, 11:58:58 AM »

Have you ever checked out Meetup.com? I don't know what your interests are, but there is a good chance you can find some people that share an interest of yours. I haven't done it that much, but it is a great concept. Of course, if you are living in a rural area it can be harder, but it is something I recommend to everyone.

I like my friends... just don't like buying stuff. It's fine. We mostly hang out with the kids; it's just the "girls nights" are always money focused. (But like I said- so are the boys nights.)

I actually have tried Meetup, and knit-nights at the local yarn store, and game nights at the game store. Heck, I even tried a Bible study.  And I did not have much luck finding people I wanted to hang out with.

To get back to the purpose of this thread, while not facebook, I saw a gem on Ravelry today.
A person rationalizing that taking out $200k (!!!!!) to get a chiropractor degree at age 55 was "worth every penny".  Oh my god. That's someone who does not understand money.  Of course, since she'll never pay it off, maybe it doesn't matter.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2966 on: September 03, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »

A person rationalizing that taking out $200k (!!!!!) to get a chiropractor degree at age 55 was "worth every penny".  Oh my god. That's someone who does not understand money.  Of course, since she'll never pay it off, maybe it doesn't matter.

Wow. An aunt of mine (who's a magistrate) tried to convince me to go to law school a year ago. When I mentioned that's 3 years and $100k for something that I may not like, her response was, "How will you know and your parents can pay for it."

In my head I was thinking, "They can, but I'm not going to ask them too, if they have that kind of money to throw around I would prefer them to send it to my Vanguard account. And I haven't done cocaine, but I'm pretty sure that I don't need to try it to know that it wouldn't be good for me."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2967 on: September 03, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
Several facebook people get sucked into these pyramid health shake schemes. It's a recurrent cycle "Come to my ____ party!", "I feel so great from ____ supplement!", "I've lost 4 pounds in 6 months because of ____!"

If it takes you 6 months to lose 4 pounds maybe you should stop eating cookies and drinking pumpkin spice lattes for a minute and go for a walk.

One acquaintance on FB has been hyping the Beach Body stuff for over two years now and actually appears to have put on more weight than when she started selling it.
That's too bad.  I LOVE Beachbody.  I have a few workouts from them and credit their programs for many things: one for losing most of the baby weight (25 pounds), the other for helping to heal my bad knee.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2968 on: September 03, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »

No, I don't drink!  But DH loves the wine I bring home from the MLM parties :)  (A lot more than tupperware, that's for sure.)

I just consider it a cost of the friendship. I mean, we could be going to the movies or out to dinner or something... at least this way it is more of a cozy gathering at someone's house.

Plus, I think I may have saved more in dog boarding than I've spent at parties :)
And they generally know if it is jewerly or makeup I'm not buying- so I don't buy at EVERY party.

It's not really the only way women interact.  We also interact with PTA meetings. ;)

No really, last year with all the PTA fundraising meetings we had, we started having the meetings off campus at people's houses, and there was much wine involved (and one of the members is a wine snob, the other owns a wine tour company, so we had good wine).  PTA stuff goes much better with wine.

I was invited to many CAbi clothing parties this year but opted not to go because of my "no new clothing ban", and I told my friends such.  Normally, I enjoy those parties because I enjoy those friends, and I hate shopping for clothing.  So doing it in someone's house is enjoyable AND I find the clothing to fit well and be high quality and flattering.

I've turned down many jewelry, skin care, and bag parties (in person and on-line).  I'm not sure how much of it is "social" and how much is "income".  I live in an expensive place, and it's hard to make ends meet here, especially if you'd really rather not have a full time job.  For many, I think they hope that these types of parties will bring in extra income so that they can stay at home.  If it's something you believe in, great!  I like Pampered Chef items, but who needs that many?  I'm not into skincare.  I like CAbi, but you only need so many items of clothing (well me, anyway).  I don't do nails and I don't wear makeup.

Did I miss anything?  Oh yeah, essential oils.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:27:58 PM by mm1970 »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2969 on: September 03, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »

That's too bad.  I LOVE Beachbody.  I have a few workouts from them and credit their programs for many things: one for losing most of the baby weight (25 pounds), the other for helping to heal my bad knee.

I"m currently doing Insanity (just started the second month). Love the workouts, they are tough as heck but I fell into a rut with running and going to the gym and the changeup has been useful. I got the dvds from a friend, so I'm not out any money.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2970 on: September 03, 2015, 01:27:31 PM »

Yeah. I'm 44 and I can only think of one person in my circle who has ever done anything like that...and that was for those memory/sticker book things (can't remember the name) and I'm not sure she was even selling anything?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2971 on: September 03, 2015, 01:28:43 PM »

Yeah. I'm 44 and I can only think of one person in my circle who has ever done anything like that...and that was for those memory/sticker book things (can't remember the name) and I'm not sure she was even selling anything?
Creative Memories!

I guess I did miss something.  I did that for awhile too.  I really enjoyed that when I had the time.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2972 on: September 03, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »

This July I was in NYC and one night i snuck in to the penthouse bar of the Library Hotel called "The Bookmark Lounge".  It was on the 14th floor according to the elevator. Once there I looked for the restrooms, which was up one flight of stairs... and then I discovered that the restrooms were actually on the 14th floor and the bar was on the floor marked 13 in the stairwell - the elevator numbering simply lied. :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2973 on: September 03, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »
It's not really the only way women interact.  We also interact with PTA meetings. ;)

I would need a PT-RP-A meeting.  (Parent-Teacher-Random Person).  They don't invite you to those if you don't have kids!

I never went to a Creative Memories party, but did a few Stamping Up.  The Stamping Up ones I liked the best where when the seller actually hosted, and just charged a $5 fee to come do make and takes.  Since you paid to play, there was no obligation to buy stuff (which of course, I did...though maybe not that day.)  The "parties" at other people's houses were never as good.

Beachbody- well, I didn't lose any weight doing 21 Day Fix, but I did up the weights I was using, so that was nice.  They make a good product with their workout videos; but I could do without the daily selfie of a sweaty woman drinking Shakeology.  Because I get that from at least 7 people in my feed.  Two of them have lost A LOT of weight and look amazing; and one quit her full-time job as an Aerospace Engineer to peddle the stuff, so she must be doing well.  But I had to block her on facebook it got so annoying.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2974 on: September 03, 2015, 01:45:43 PM »

I like to believe that Ministry of Magic offices are located on the "missing" "skipped" 13th floor and that if I wasn't a muggle I would be able to find them...

(Harry Potter y'all.)

+1,000,000 to this.  It might be my favorite comment ever, in the history of the internet.  That's genius!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2975 on: September 03, 2015, 01:51:31 PM »

This July I was in NYC and one night i snuck in to the penthouse bar of the Library Hotel called "The Bookmark Lounge".  It was on the 14th floor according to the elevator. Once there I looked for the restrooms, which was up one flight of stairs... and then I discovered that the restrooms were actually on the 14th floor and the bar was on the floor marked 13 in the stairwell - the elevator numbering simply lied. :)

I walked up the stairs of a hotel in San Francisco and had to go through the infrastructure tunnels on 13 and 14 to go up to 23 where my room was (I wanted walk up before you wonder why). The building I work in, in NYC, the elevator goes from 12 to 15 for this reason. There's a secret elevator that goes to 13 and 14 for the maintenance people.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2976 on: September 03, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »
I think I missed something. Why don't people like the 14th floor?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2977 on: September 03, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »

Depends on how you count the floors. In America, the ground floor is 1. In other places the floor above the ground floor is 1. So 13 and 14 by U.S. Counting, 12 and 13 by the other method. Covers them both. On a more practical level, big buildings had a lot of infrastructure.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2978 on: September 03, 2015, 04:26:56 PM »
The issue is in the number 13.

Though I really haven't seen the skipped number all that often.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2979 on: September 03, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »

I would need a PT-RP-A meeting.  (Parent-Teacher-Random Person).  They don't invite you to those if you don't have kids!

I never went to a Creative Memories party, but did a few Stamping Up.  The Stamping Up ones I liked the best where when the seller actually hosted, and just charged a $5 fee to come do make and takes.  Since you paid to play, there was no obligation to buy stuff (which of course, I did...though maybe not that day.)  The "parties" at other people's houses were never as good.

Beachbody- well, I didn't lose any weight doing 21 Day Fix, but I did up the weights I was using, so that was nice.  They make a good product with their workout videos; but I could do without the daily selfie of a sweaty woman drinking Shakeology.  Because I get that from at least 7 people in my feed.  Two of them have lost A LOT of weight and look amazing; and one quit her full-time job as an Aerospace Engineer to peddle the stuff, so she must be doing well.  But I had to block her on facebook it got so annoying.
Yeah 21 Day Fix is what worked for me for the 25 pounds, and PiYo for helping to fix my knee.  I have a few FB friends with the sweaty Shakeo pics, but I can just gloss over them.  I prefer it when they create a "business" page, because then they tend to keep their personal page, well, personal.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2980 on: September 03, 2015, 05:17:59 PM »
Overheard on Facebook "hooray!!! We paid off our wedding loan today"... More sad than funny, the wedding was like 3 years ago. Who goes into debt for a wedding?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2981 on: September 03, 2015, 06:00:04 PM »
^^^^^ It must be socially acceptable to do so:)

- I have always found it ironic and alarming, that discussing money in the context of avoiding debt in the first place is simply not done. Saving money is boring and anyway there is no money left after you pay the bills. It is the norm for many people.
Having cc debt and a mortgage and a cool car has become the "acceptable" way of life.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2982 on: September 03, 2015, 07:01:30 PM »
Lady in a neighborhood community message board complaining (in the crime and safety section) that her middle-schooler's iphone 6 was stolen for the second time at school.

Lady, the only crime here is.. Oh whatever...

My school had a policy that if they saw you with a phone or game device, even if it was turned off, they would confiscate it and you weren't allowed to have it back until the end of the year. It caused a few lawsuits from parents wanting the devices returned and the school stating that they have a right to enforce whatever policy they want. I can't believe that buying iphones for your kids to take to school is normal now.

I definitely don't think kids needs the latest fancy phones, but cell phones were just starting to come out when I was in high school (of course, only the rich kids would have their OWN little Nokias) and I really wished my family could afford one because I lived 11 miles from the school, and often had to coordinate rides if I stayed after for activities or missed the bus. My parents worked even further than the school, and if they didn't know I missed the bus I'd have to wait until they drove all the way home to answer the house phone when I called it just so they could get in the car and drive back to the school and then back home. Or see if I could get neighbor's work numbers to see if I could catch a ride with them on their way home from work. And then I'd have to wait EXACTLY where I said I'd be, because heaven forbid if they drove by while I went inside to use the restroom or make a phone call.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2983 on: September 03, 2015, 07:59:04 PM »

Depends on how you count the floors. In America, the ground floor is 1. In other places the floor above the ground floor is 1. So 13 and 14 by U.S. Counting, 12 and 13 by the other method. Covers them both. On a more practical level, big buildings had a lot of infrastructure.
A friend from England (living here in the US) hired help for moving and told them his apartment was on the first floor.  They weren't happy when they realized they'd be climbing stairs all day...

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2984 on: September 04, 2015, 07:23:41 AM »
I walked up the stairs of a hotel in San Francisco and had to go through the infrastructure tunnels on 13 and 14 to go up to 23 where my room was (I wanted walk up before you wonder why). The building I work in, in NYC, the elevator goes from 12 to 15 for this reason. There's a secret elevator that goes to 13 and 14 for the maintenance people.

A secret elevator? Like it's a rumor that it exists and nobody is really sure if its real but Joe the Janitor knows about it?

Or do you mean a service elevator that is off limits to regular folks and for the maintenance staff only?..

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2985 on: September 04, 2015, 07:25:12 AM »

In WNY, at the universities certain buildings have ground and the 1st floor is above that and others have the 1st floor is on the ground level.  Makes things bloody confusing.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2986 on: September 04, 2015, 07:28:40 AM »

A secret elevator? Like it's a rumor that it exists and nobody is really sure if its real but Joe the Janitor knows about it?

Or do you mean a service elevator that is off limits to regular folks and for the maintenance staff only?..

There are 6 elevators on the first floor going up to 12-22. When I get out on my floor (21) there are 5 elevator doors. The 6th elevator must service the "missing" 13th and 14th floors where the water, the electricity, and the other infrastructure is. That's what I mean by "secret".

In WNY, at the universities certain buildings have ground and the 1st floor is above that and others have the 1st floor is on the ground level.  Makes things bloody confusing.

Older buildings follow the European model, newer ones follow the American model. I agree that it's confusing, but it explains why it's floors 13 and 14 (with ground being 1) instead of 12 and 13 (with ground being 1) because of the varying counting methods.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:30:11 AM by Pooperman »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2987 on: September 04, 2015, 07:41:29 AM »

There are 6 elevators on the first floor going up to 12-22. When I get out on my floor (21) there are 5 elevator doors. The 6th elevator must service the "missing" 13th and 14th floors where the water, the electricity, and the other infrastructure is. That's what I mean by "secret".

Older buildings follow the European model, newer ones follow the American model. I agree that it's confusing, but it explains why it's floors 13 and 14 (with ground being 1) instead of 12 and 13 (with ground being 1) because of the varying counting methods.

:)

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #2988 on: September 04, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »
I love the overheard at work thread. I hear lots of similar crap on Facebook, but I especially loved this one...

Status: My electric bill is more than my rent. (Note from author, this is a friend from elementary school back home in my small town, so her rent is probably $500ish)

Commenter 1: Yuck! Ours was over $400!
Commenter 2: Mine is close to my rent...$300...on budget!!!!
Commenter 3: My water bill has been almost my rent. I don't get it!!!!
Original Poster: Those are all high bills...but don't beat my $556.35 WITH a disconnect notice lol, Some excuses about deposits & her bill being messed up that made me almost feel bad for her...
Commenter 4: That happened to us once, they said we owed $900, turned out to be $300 lol.
Original poster: I know they have a lot of bills to keep track of buuut they really need to get it together. We're not wasteful and never use more than $175 worth of electricity in a month

What in the world are these people doing to use so much electricity??? Not to be rude, but none of them are wealthy folks with 3000 sq. foot houses. Probably more like 1500 sq. foot apartments!!! The OP doesn't even have a washer & dryer, she has a laundry room!!! And don't give me the AC excuse, it has NOT been that hot this summer in my home town yet. Maybe 10 AC worthy days at worst.

OK, so lay it on me, what kind of crazy anti-MMM oversharing is happening in your social media world?

These bills are nuts. I'm wondering if maybe their energy company has really high rates?

I know where I live there are two main electric companies. The one I'm on is fine. The other one made some bad investment decisions and as a result has crazy bills now. I mean $400-600 for houses that are maybe 1/4 the size of mine and my bill is always under $100. And I'm not particularly going out of my way to conserve.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2989 on: September 04, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »

I know where I live there are two main electric companies.

That must be really nice to have a choice.  We don't have a choice in any of our utilities.  Well, except internet. There we can choose between DSL or Dish (but no cable service available).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2990 on: September 04, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
I love the overheard at work thread. I hear lots of similar crap on Facebook, but I especially loved this one...

Status: My electric bill is more than my rent. (Note from author, this is a friend from elementary school back home in my small town, so her rent is probably $500ish)

Commenter 1: Yuck! Ours was over $400!
Commenter 2: Mine is close to my rent...$300...on budget!!!!
Commenter 3: My water bill has been almost my rent. I don't get it!!!!
Original Poster: Those are all high bills...but don't beat my $556.35 WITH a disconnect notice lol, Some excuses about deposits & her bill being messed up that made me almost feel bad for her...
Commenter 4: That happened to us once, they said we owed $900, turned out to be $300 lol.
Original poster: I know they have a lot of bills to keep track of buuut they really need to get it together. We're not wasteful and never use more than $175 worth of electricity in a month

What in the world are these people doing to use so much electricity??? Not to be rude, but none of them are wealthy folks with 3000 sq. foot houses. Probably more like 1500 sq. foot apartments!!! The OP doesn't even have a washer & dryer, she has a laundry room!!! And don't give me the AC excuse, it has NOT been that hot this summer in my home town yet. Maybe 10 AC worthy days at worst.

OK, so lay it on me, what kind of crazy anti-MMM oversharing is happening in your social media world?

These bills are nuts. I'm wondering if maybe their energy company has really high rates?

I know where I live there are two main electric companies. The one I'm on is fine. The other one made some bad investment decisions and as a result has crazy bills now. I mean $400-600 for houses that are maybe 1/4 the size of mine and my bill is always under $100. And I'm not particularly going out of my way to conserve.

My summer electric bill last summer peaked at $396.  This year, the same month's bill was $207.

Reasons:
Variable speed / energy efficient pool pump
Programmable thermostat
Two not-energy-conscious roommates left

We weren't doing anything particularly crazy last year either, but my electric plan is about 50c/kwh between 2pm and 5pm so when someone would turn the AC down to 76 (from the normal 78-79) and then leave for the day without turning it back up, I was paying an absurd amount of money to keep an empty house cool. Now the thermostat is set at 85f during peak hours, and it's dramatically reduced the bill.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2991 on: September 04, 2015, 10:53:08 AM »
Overheard on Facebook "hooray!!! We paid off our wedding loan today"... More sad than funny, the wedding was like 3 years ago. Who goes into debt for a wedding?

I can't tell you how many people I know who were divorced before they were done paying off the wedding.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2992 on: September 04, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »

Also late 30s. I've been to a few, but they are pretty rare among my friends. We have occasional girls nights with clothing swaps or sometimes crafty things, or playing around with make-up, or games, or a combination of multiple things depending on what everyone wants to do. Or games nights. Or BBQs, potlucks, backyard fires. Camping. Hiking. House parties. Pub nights.

I do have a couple Facebook friends who don't live close to me that advertise such parties on occasion, but certainly it's not the norm.

Early 40s here. Luckily my FB timeline is not infected with MLM stuff. Most of my social circles (thankfully!) aren't into MLM at all but from time to time a wave of Tupperware parties wash through one of my social circles. They're fine. I like Tupperware. I have a lot of Tupperware that gets used daily (and because DH and I both like it, we're better at not wasting food these days). But the best thing about these occasional Tupperware parties is that the rep is usually pretty low-key, minimal pressure to buy stuff from the rep (and no pressure at all from the host) and they're generally good fun.

It would drive me nuts, though, to be regularly invited to other MLM parties. I went to a Nutrimetics (make-up) party once. Ew. The rep was sooooo pushy and unsubtle. I'm hoping to go to a Thermomix party one day, just to watch how it works. I've been invited to a few but have never been able to make it due to illness or similar. (I have zero desire to buy a Thermomix - I love the process of cooking - but I am intrigued enough to want to watch one at work. Plus food with friends :))

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2993 on: September 05, 2015, 02:00:58 AM »

I can't tell you how many people I know who were divorced before they were done paying off the wedding.

Same here.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2994 on: September 05, 2015, 08:56:10 AM »
This wasn't on Facebook but relates to MLMs. I saw a news story about a poor little boy who now has brain damage because his family was falsely given the clear to enter their house after a termite treatment. Someone started a Go Fund Me to help with their medical bills. They've raised a staggering 40K in only a few days. I read the comments below and this one was appalling: "Sweetie, I am cash tapped but I have a product that I represent and that product is an anti-inflammatory, non GMO seed based nutrition food that was developed by pediatric Oncologists for their patients. Pls feel free to contact me regarding helping him heal. Best and prayers."

Only the lowest of humanity would use a Go Fund Me page for a brain damaged kid to peddle their MLM wares.

Here's the link if you want to see for yourself: http://www.gofundme.com/peytonsrecovery
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:58:00 AM by justajane »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2995 on: September 05, 2015, 10:06:48 AM »

Do they let you roll the negative equity into a new loan like with a car ?

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2996 on: September 05, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
This wasn't on Facebook but relates to MLMs. I saw a news story about a poor little boy who now has brain damage because his family was falsely given the clear to enter their house after a termite treatment. Someone started a Go Fund Me to help with their medical bills. They've raised a staggering 40K in only a few days. I read the comments below and this one was appalling: "Sweetie, I am cash tapped but I have a product that I represent and that product is an anti-inflammatory, non GMO seed based nutrition food that was developed by pediatric Oncologists for their patients. Pls feel free to contact me regarding helping him heal. Best and prayers."

Only the lowest of humanity would use a Go Fund Me page for a brain damaged kid to peddle their MLM wares.

Here's the link if you want to see for yourself: http://www.gofundme.com/peytonsrecovery

Oh yes and green tea! Green tea will certainly clear up all his problems.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2997 on: September 05, 2015, 02:44:45 PM »

Yes, absolutely! That was hilarious but much less offensive than trying to sell something to a vulnerable family.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2998 on: September 05, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »

Yes, absolutely! That was hilarious but much less offensive than trying to sell something to a vulnerable family.

justajane, thanks for sharing that link.  That's a sad story.  Preying on that family with a solicitation for some pseudo-medicine is pretty low.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2999 on: September 06, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
crazy Facebook Dependa take three.  "I deserve an award for cleaning the house all day, rum, vodka, tequila, but alas, I am poor...so it's milk or water...unless someone wants to award me with booze :-) "

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!