Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081811 times)

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8300 on: May 06, 2020, 07:50:34 AM »
I'm guessing that's your age and where you live.  When I was in my twenties and lived near the CBD everyone was moving all the time.  Now in my 30s with a house in the suburbs, I think only one person in the 20 houses near me has moved in the last 4 years.   Moves tend to be to retirement homes.

We are early 30s and have lived in the same street in a quiet residential area for 5 years. Because we are frugal we were quite young when we bought this house and we are still by far the youngest residents. I think at least 2/3 of the people are retired. Young people who aren't mustachian can't afford to buy unless they (or their parents) are really wealthy and in that case they live in a much more fancy area.

It took our neighbours a long time to get used to us (Mr Imma has long hair and we have purple curtains! ) but we're friendly now. We have people that will look after our plants and mail when we're on holiday. But that's different from a real friend.

Neighbour relationships are friendly, not friends. I mean they're friendly enough that you're letting people into your house while you're away to water plants. That sounds ideal to me. I wouldn't really want my neighbours to be closer than that. We help each other out from time to time, and we chat in the street. They're close enough relationships that I could go and talk to them if something was bothering me about the way they ran their household - for instance, I did ask one neighbour if he would consider 9am on a sunday for the start of power tool use, rather than 6am. And I had a neighbour ask me if my friend with the motorbike could please not ride it up my driveway when visiting because it shakes their whole house. How much closer to neighbours would you really want to be?

The silver lining of quarantine for us is moving from casual friends who stop by when we have a big party to real friends with the folks across the hall from us. We share a roof deck & have balconies that are 6 feet apart so we can still maintain social distancing and hang out with them. But I would say my caution when making friends with neighbors is extremely high. Some people seem super in the beginning and turn out to be awful in the long run, so I am more guarded when you have no escape from being around someone!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8301 on: May 06, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
I'm guessing that's your age and where you live.  When I was in my twenties and lived near the CBD everyone was moving all the time.  Now in my 30s with a house in the suburbs, I think only one person in the 20 houses near me has moved in the last 4 years.   Moves tend to be to retirement homes.

We are early 30s and have lived in the same street in a quiet residential area for 5 years. Because we are frugal we were quite young when we bought this house and we are still by far the youngest residents. I think at least 2/3 of the people are retired. Young people who aren't mustachian can't afford to buy unless they (or their parents) are really wealthy and in that case they live in a much more fancy area.

It took our neighbours a long time to get used to us (Mr Imma has long hair and we have purple curtains! ) but we're friendly now. We have people that will look after our plants and mail when we're on holiday. But that's different from a real friend.

Neighbour relationships are friendly, not friends. I mean they're friendly enough that you're letting people into your house while you're away to water plants. That sounds ideal to me. I wouldn't really want my neighbours to be closer than that. We help each other out from time to time, and we chat in the street. They're close enough relationships that I could go and talk to them if something was bothering me about the way they ran their household - for instance, I did ask one neighbour if he would consider 9am on a sunday for the start of power tool use, rather than 6am. And I had a neighbour ask me if my friend with the motorbike could please not ride it up my driveway when visiting because it shakes their whole house. How much closer to neighbours would you really want to be?

While I do think you should be careful about getting too close to a literal neighbour, I think having friends in the same neighbourhood is ideal. It means you can spontaneously get together for a cup of tea or a walk or under different circumstances, a meal. A very good friend temporarily lived 3 streets away from us a few years ago and it was great. I loved that she would spontaneously ring my doorbell on a Saturday afternoon. It's great to have friends in other cities as well, but you can't have a spontaneous activity. You need to plan ahead and make a day trip out of it. I really miss spontaneous social contact.

We don't drive, and it looks like public transit is vital sector-jobs only for the forseeable future. I am expecting this to last for a long time, at least over the summer. That means the only friends we can physically meet with until then are friends who live within walking of biking distance - so, in our neighbourhood. Mr Imma has a few friends in this city but we don't really like their partners, so we don't usually meet up with them as a couple but we will likely start doing that this summer.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8302 on: May 15, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »
The easiest money I ever made was babysitting. There weren't enough girls old enough to baby sit in our area so here I was - a boy for hire babysitting. It was the 80s... I also washed cars, took care of dogs and cats while people vacationed, mowed grass, raked leaves, and did other chores.

My only rule was the kiddo had to be potty trained. Mom was a phone call away if anything went sideways. Nothing ever did.

One trio of 3-4 year olds played (several couples went out together, shared the sitter fee), got a snack at a certain hour of the evening, and were easy. In bed at a certain hour. All I had to do was stay awake and watch TV after that. Parents home after midnight. I could bicycle myself home in the dark.

The little girl next door that I sat with several times was at an age when every thing was funny. I could say "Door knob!" and she'd laugh herself silly. We played board games, shared snacks, she showed me all her dolls and dollhouse stuff and was easy to hang out with.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8303 on: May 15, 2020, 09:54:29 AM »
I sometimes feel like Newton Pulsifer from Good Omens. Despite being fairly knowledgeable with technology (I actually work in info systems audit), devices inexplicably go to shit when I touch them for no apparent reason.

My mother would do that only my car. I'd offer to drive her to the grocery store and as soon as she would sit down in the car it would develop some random issue. No wonder she preferred to drive herself. Better chance of not walking home. Admittedly my car was a POS of the highest order. Learned alot of things constantly working on that car.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8304 on: May 17, 2020, 07:13:42 AM »
As far as computers I have had a history of making computers break or them do weird things. To the point a fellow grad student would yell at me if I got too close to his computer. I also could not wear a watch; within a year the watch would stop and if it was opened up it would be all corroded (and no I wasn't wearing them in the shower). Anyways I finally read an article that I think explained what it is: I walked everywhere, more than the usual person. I probably was building up static electricity that was affecting electronic devices. I don't walk as much now so not as big of a problem.

Unfortunately I have developed the similar reputation at my new workplace, where things stop working on my computer. I thought I was just unlucky, but I think we figured out at least part of the problem. I'm one of the older people in the department, and because they didn't know how to classify me, originally gave me (electronic security) credentials for a provider aka doctor in order to allow me to do the things I needed for  my job, when I'm in research with a different job title. When more people came in they gave people with my job classification a different set of credentials and as time went on those old credentials started conflicting with newer credentials and or rules, making various parts of my computer programs not work (dealing with encryption) or access to specialized programs in the medical records. It's been a huge pain in the ass. At least 3 people have worked on it up the line. Most of it has been corrected but not all (they were able to finally get rid of the conflicting credentials but some things still not working) and no one knows why. They have suggested I bring my laptop back in, do a full wipe and re install everything to see if that helps, so that is the back up plan.   

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8305 on: May 17, 2020, 08:05:13 AM »
... I also could not wear a watch; within a year the watch would stop and if it was opened up it would be all corroded (and no I wasn't wearing them in the shower). Anyways I finally read an article that I think explained what it is: I walked everywhere, more than the usual person. I probably was building up static electricity that was affecting electronic devices. I don't walk as much now so not as big of a problem.

Wristwatches wouldn't keep time for me.   I set mine on the dresser and for 3 days it kept perfect time.   I picked it up and the second hand stopped, then went backwards for over 20 seconds.   Didn't wear a watch for years after that, it was too spooky.   When I did they still didn't keep time.

About 10 years ago I bought a cheap rubber-covered one and that seemed to do the trick.  Except it was so bulky I couldn't stand to wear it, and now I don't need one.   Cellphones handle it.

My grandfather had the same problem wearing watches.

Weird, eh?

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8306 on: May 17, 2020, 08:31:01 AM »
... I also could not wear a watch; within a year the watch would stop and if it was opened up it would be all corroded (and no I wasn't wearing them in the shower). Anyways I finally read an article that I think explained what it is: I walked everywhere, more than the usual person. I probably was building up static electricity that was affecting electronic devices. I don't walk as much now so not as big of a problem.

Wristwatches wouldn't keep time for me.   I set mine on the dresser and for 3 days it kept perfect time.   I picked it up and the second hand stopped, then went backwards for over 20 seconds.   Didn't wear a watch for years after that, it was too spooky.   When I did they still didn't keep time.

About 10 years ago I bought a cheap rubber-covered one and that seemed to do the trick.  Except it was so bulky I couldn't stand to wear it, and now I don't need one.   Cellphones handle it.

My grandfather had the same problem wearing watches.

Weird, eh?

My Mom is a watch killer too.  Takes her a few months on average though.   Doesn't matter how expensive it is, or inexpensive.  Some die after a week, some after a month, but none have lasted more that 6 months.   Repairs on the expensive ones have been attempted, but never successfully.  She started saving the dead ones just for fun - when she got rid of her pile last year, it looked like an entire watch store's inventory.   (She's 90, so there were a lot!).    I will tell her other people are like that too - she thought she was the only one that couldn't wear a watch.   

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8307 on: May 17, 2020, 09:53:19 AM »
...Now that you all mention it, dad did have a weird one a while back. He started complaining that he couldn't pay bills online because his browser would just disappear. My brother and I both assumed he was just doing something silly and accidentally minimizing or something. But he finally showed me what was happening, and sure enough, his whole browser was crashing/exiting when he'd hit Submit on a payment on his bank's web interface1. No warning, no error message or crash dialog, just *poof* it's gone.

Of course it also turned out that he was using Micro$oft's Edge browser, so perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised; switching to Chrome fixed the problem completely. But I had to make a desktop shortcut (ugh) with his bank's name on it so he'd remember to use that instead the Edge icon (which he associated with his bank at that point).

1 and it wasn't even the first time, but rather the second or third time he submitted a payment that it would crash/exit.
Just saw this. I have an account at a bank other than my own, for a specific civic purpose. Sometimes it's active, but typically it's not. In the off periods, when I have to log on, I always forget that I can't use Chrome. For this particular bank, I can only use Edge. Drives me nuts.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8308 on: May 17, 2020, 11:30:23 AM »
You are all clearly haunted.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8309 on: May 17, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
So in case other people have the watch problem, my experiences. I would buy the semi cheap analog watches with batteries, metal back (oftentimes timex). When I was wearing watches I ended up going to this kiosk because they changed batteries and they had 2? 5? year warranties on their watches. the watch would stop working, I would bring it in for a battery change, but it still wouldn't work with a new battery, and so I would get a free watch.  Sometimes when they opened the watch the entire inside would be corroded. Maybe because they weren't the owners they seemed more amused by all this than anything, and sometimes have the other person look at the inside of the watch. At some point I became lazy and so when a watch stopped working sometimes I would go to "canteen", and buy a watch (usually timex), Since they didn't have the same warranty soon ended up with a drawer full of non working watches.
This is the weird thing; my problem with watches got better. After I got got pregnant and had kids, my problems with watches and computers practically disappeared. And my sister got me a very expensive watch (Citizen eco drive) and I had no problems with that watch whatsoever (I had it for 3 years but then misplaced it).  I don't wear watches anymore but feel if I did I would probably be fine.
My guesses are static electricity (I would often give people bad shocks), body chemistry, cheap watches or a combination of the three. I do have at least 1 case where a watch which did not work for me, gave it to someone and they wore it with no problems.  Solutions: get a watch that comes with a warranty so that you can simply replace watch as needed, buy a watch that does not need a battery. I also suspect watches with non-metal back may work better (my brother suggested I get this very built up rugged watch with rubber strap to help the situation, but it was too big for me).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:37:01 PM by partgypsy »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8310 on: May 17, 2020, 05:18:33 PM »
The "touch a watch and it stops" reminds me of a sci-fi story**.

Under a crater on the moon, there is a installation where consumer and other tech is tested.

The test is conducted by "abnotech" persons who, a the high end of the scale can cause, mostly by their presence alone, malfunctions not previously seen in that tech.
These are not doofuses or technophobes, just persons with the unfortunate talent to cause malfunctions.  Their testing is required to get a "UL / TUV" style listing.

Their life-support is run remotely 10Km away.  They also test nanotech, leading to the isolated testing facility

** Steven L. Burns, "Down Under Billy Crater" pg 216 Analog January 1995.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8311 on: May 17, 2020, 11:12:53 PM »

Under a crater on the moon, there is a installation where consumer and other tech is tested.

The test is conducted by "abnotech" persons who, a the high end of the scale can cause, mostly by their presence alone, malfunctions not previously seen in that tech.
These are not doofuses or technophobes, just persons with the unfortunate talent to cause malfunctions.  Their testing is required to get a "UL / TUV" style listing.

Their life-support is run remotely 10Km away.  They also test nanotech, leading to the isolated testing facility

Reminds me of the Dresden Files series of books in which magic causes technology to break.  So if you do that... YER A WIZARD

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8312 on: May 19, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »

Reminds me of the Dresden Files series of books in which magic causes technology to break.  So if you do that... YER A WIZARD

But if anyone reads Diane Wynne Jones, you know this world has no magic (12b).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:45:23 PM by partgypsy »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8313 on: May 19, 2020, 03:21:00 PM »

But if anyone reads Diane Wynne Jones, you know this world has no magic (12b).

I love her books :)

Now I have to go re-read them.... Luckily, I have a bunch on the shelf.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #8314 on: May 20, 2020, 12:11:48 AM »
I guess this is also the place for twitter?
https://mobile.twitter.com/MattBellassai/status/1262793469527044096

been making coffee at home instead of getting starbucks for two months which according to economists should’ve made me a billionaire by now so what is happening

And thousands of replies.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8315 on: May 20, 2020, 05:13:33 AM »

been making coffee at home instead of getting starbucks for two months which according to economists should’ve made me a billionaire by now so what is happening

Maybe if I figure out how to make and sell avocado coffee, I could make enough money to buy a house.

Also, does anyone else wonder if it's time to start Overheard on Facebook 2?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8316 on: May 20, 2020, 12:34:25 PM »

Tweets like this, and all its comments, make me weep. Are all people literal idiots?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8317 on: May 20, 2020, 02:40:29 PM »

Tweets like this, and all its comments, make me weep. Are all people literal idiots?

Should not have read that

“I stopped eating cake but I’m still fat... what gives???”

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8318 on: May 20, 2020, 04:07:15 PM »
Are they not being facetious?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8319 on: May 21, 2020, 11:22:55 AM »
Are they not being facetious?

They are, but most of the people posting this are swinging too far in the other direction. Their point is "See? It was always BS that you couldn't get ahead just by making coffee at home and not eating out."

So they're kinda idiots in that the advice was never "you can get ahead by making small changes for a few months", but they're not actually believing they should be billionaires right now.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8320 on: June 11, 2020, 03:16:23 PM »
Saw this post recently on a community group:

Does anyone know where I can get Coldstone Creamery ice cream?! It’s an emergency!

Lots of people chimed in that Coldstone has left China and suggested buying very expensive brands at the local high end grocery store. The response was:

No, it MUST be Coldstone Creamery or something similar. My kids are absolutely demanding Coldstone Creamery.

So then lots of people suggested other high end ice cream shops in town...all the way at the other end of town. One shop was at least a hour away. Average price for a small cup of ice cream? Usd $6.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8321 on: June 11, 2020, 04:23:20 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get Coldstone Creamery ice cream?! It’s an emergency!
an ice cream emergency.....that's a new one.

damn it, now I want ice cream....... :-)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8322 on: June 11, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »

My husband thinks I bought ice cream while I was out making a purchase for him. Please don't tell him he has it backwards.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8323 on: June 12, 2020, 08:03:01 AM »

Have you ever been pregnant? Because I think there are likely times that could be considered ice cream emergencies....

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8324 on: June 12, 2020, 08:20:55 AM »

Have you ever been pregnant? Because I think there are likely times that could be considered ice cream emergencies....
I have not.....I hadn't thought of that case....but the OP was calling it an emergency to get it for her kids.

and it was a light hearted poke at what someone was calling an emergency.....just like when someone 'needs' the newest iPhone.....

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8325 on: June 12, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »

I have not.....I hadn't thought of that case....but the OP was calling it an emergency to get it for her kids.

and it was a light hearted poke at what someone was calling an emergency.....just like when someone 'needs' the newest iPhone.....

Oh, I totally get that. I was poking fun too. I didn’t think the /s marker was appropriate in this case because it wasn’t really sarcasm. Things can get really misunderstood in written form!

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8326 on: June 12, 2020, 08:25:15 AM »

Oh, I totally get that. I was poking fun too. I didn’t think the /s marker was appropriate in this case because it wasn’t really sarcasm. Things can get really misunderstood in written form!
they really can.   The nuance of facial expressions.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8327 on: October 27, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »
"Curb alert - Washer works but not as well as it should, dryer works perfectly".

Replacing a perfectly working dryer and just giving it away - hope you got a really good discount on the new matched set. Not to mention sounds like the washer is repairable.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8328 on: October 27, 2020, 04:31:44 PM »
"Curb alert - Washer works but not as well as it should, dryer works perfectly".

Replacing a perfectly working dryer and just giving it away - hope you got a really good discount on the new matched set. Not to mention sounds like the washer is repairable.

It's also a form of stealth charity.   Maybe they don't need the money, want to help other people, and don't want either party burdened by a sense of obligation.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8329 on: October 27, 2020, 05:22:05 PM »
Fair point. Apparently this particular set of washer and dryer have been making rounds around the neighborhood for years.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8330 on: October 29, 2020, 06:08:16 AM »

People do this all the time. My wife's uncle works at a dump, and people bring in both halves of a set because one stopped working, and they want a matching set. The uncle will usually set aside the working appliance and give it away.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8331 on: October 29, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »

People do this all the time. My wife's uncle works at a dump, and people bring in both halves of a set because one stopped working, and they want a matching set. The uncle will usually set aside the working appliance and give it away.

Biggest mistake we made when we were out of state for about 18 months and rented our house out - we agreed to buy the renter's much newer dishwasher. I have no idea why he had a dishwasher in a storage unit, but he wanted to sell it to us and we ultimately said OK and replaced our much older, but still working dishwasher. Is a nice one, but the control board fried after a hurricane / resulting power outages and upages. Maybe the old one would have been fried too - hard to say, but it had been in place for more than a decade.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8332 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »
Sometimes the control board is very affordable and easy to replace DIY style.

I recently did it with a furnace. ~$100. Replacement took 10 minutes.

Sometimes the part number on the control board is more useful than the brand or model of the appliance b/c the model number of the appliance might go obsolete quickly while the control board is used for years longer..

Thank you internet.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8333 on: October 29, 2020, 11:35:49 AM »

This happened to us. Dryer still worked but washer broke. But- my appliances have to be stacked and the old dryer did not fit the new washers we wanted to buy. Totally fine though if you didn't need to stack.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8334 on: October 29, 2020, 01:05:04 PM »

I gave away a perfectly good dryer when I moved in 2013.  My Dryer was electric, my new house was built for a gas one.  It was cheaper to get the new dryer than rewire.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8335 on: November 13, 2020, 12:47:14 PM »
There is someone on bogleheads arguing that two or more international business class vacations a year isn't extravagant. Dude, I can accept that it is the lifestyle you want, but that doesn't make it not extravagant...

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #8336 on: November 13, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »
There is someone on bogleheads arguing that two or more international business class vacations a year isn't extravagant. Dude, I can accept that it is the lifestyle you want, but that doesn't make it not extravagant...
Yeah, neither I, nor none of my family, go on those kinds of trips. At all.  And some of my family are as wealthy as some of the bogleheads seem to be, or want to be.  But they got there by being more mustachian.  I haven't ventured much over there, this is a better fit. 

Plus you meet really cool people when you stay at hostels and convents instead of the fancy places.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #8337 on: November 13, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »

When you can swing them for $500 cash equivalent in credit card rewards, they get down to decent affordability.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8338 on: November 13, 2020, 03:23:16 PM »
I live for international trips. We have a big family, so three weeks in Europe is extravagant even without business class travel and accommodations.  Well worth the cost, but definitely extravagant.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8339 on: November 14, 2020, 03:36:43 AM »

When you can swing them for $500 cash equivalent in credit card rewards, they get down to decent affordability.

I would argue that it's still extravagant even if you can afford it.

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #8340 on: November 21, 2020, 09:52:41 AM »

I gave away a perfectly good dryer when I moved in 2013.  My Dryer was electric, my new house was built for a gas one.  It was cheaper to get the new dryer than rewire.
Our washer gave up about 13 years ago, we had to decide whether to get a washer and dryer or just the washer. We bought just a washer. Since then, I have replaced the belt and a overtemp circuit breaker on the dryer, but it's still doing it's job. It just breaks my heart they don't match, NOT.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8341 on: November 22, 2020, 08:15:45 PM »
Our washer gave up about 13 years ago, we had to decide whether to get a washer and dryer or just the washer. We bought just a washer. Since then, I have replaced the belt and a overtemp circuit breaker on the dryer, but it's still doing it's job. It just breaks my heart they don't match, NOT.

I was given someone's castoff dryer and I put it next to my (relatively) new washer. Every visitor who goes into the basement says, "Oh dear, your laundry appliances are not coordinated!" and leaves my house. Not.

The dryer was being given away because the owner's washer wore out and she replaced both the washer and dryer with a new matching set, complete with all the bells and whistles. It turned out the fancy dryer has a steam setting, so she couldn't use it until she called a plumber in to run piping to the dryer.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8342 on: November 23, 2020, 02:20:40 AM »

I was given someone's castoff dryer and I put it next to my (relatively) new washer. Every visitor who goes into the basement says, "Oh dear, your laundry appliances are not coordinated!" and leaves my house. Not.

The dryer was being given away because the owner's washer wore out and she replaced both the washer and dryer with a new matching set, complete with all the bells and whistles. It turned out the fancy dryer has a steam setting, so she couldn't use it until she called a plumber in to run piping to the dryer.

Until I read this, I had no idea matching washer/dryer sets were even a thing. But if people care so much about that, why don't they just buy a washer/dryer in one?

We have a machine like that. I never had a dryer before but my friend was going to get rid of this combi machine. I use the dryer setting maybe twice a year when it's raining a lot but not cold, so the house becomes damp and the towels won't dry. But it's not ideal, I hate the dryer smell on the towels and it takes ages.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8343 on: November 23, 2020, 05:10:34 AM »

Until I read this, I had no idea matching washer/dryer sets were even a thing. But if people care so much about that, why don't they just buy a washer/dryer in one?

I've never seen one of these in the US. I don't think we sell them here, or at least they are very rare.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8344 on: November 23, 2020, 05:25:57 AM »

I've never seen one of these in the US. I don't think we sell them here, or at least they are very rare.

Maybe because people have less space for all those machines in Europe? They're not cheap so most people I know still only have a washing machine.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8345 on: November 23, 2020, 09:10:50 AM »
The US version of a washer/dryer combo is the kind that has the washer part on the bottom and the dryer part on the top, usually for apartments that want to advertise "in-unit laundry" (https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Whirlpool-White-Thin-Twin-Laundry-Center-with-1-5-cu-ft-Washer-and-3-4-cu-ft-Electric-Vented-Dryer-LTE5243DQ/203576383).

The European version where it's one spinning drum that has both functions, that kind I've never seen in the US, but apparently they do exist because Home Depot is selling them. (https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-2-3-cu-ft-White-Compact-All-in-One-Front-Load-Washer-and-Electric-Ventless-Dryer-Combo-WM3488HW/207024916).

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8346 on: November 23, 2020, 12:35:31 PM »
The US version of a washer/dryer combo is the kind that has the washer part on the bottom and the dryer part on the top, usually for apartments that want to advertise "in-unit laundry" (https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Whirlpool-White-Thin-Twin-Laundry-Center-with-1-5-cu-ft-Washer-and-3-4-cu-ft-Electric-Vented-Dryer-LTE5243DQ/203576383).

The European version where it's one spinning drum that has both functions, that kind I've never seen in the US, but apparently they do exist because Home Depot is selling them. (https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-2-3-cu-ft-White-Compact-All-in-One-Front-Load-Washer-and-Electric-Ventless-Dryer-Combo-WM3488HW/207024916).

Yep, you can get the European version in the US, though it's not widely available. I used to have one. They have a very small drum, and in my experience the dryer doesn't dry all the way no matter what you do, so you still basically have to hang the laundry up for a bit at the end, anyway. (Note that I have used them in Europe, and the ones I've used there don't seem to have that problem.)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #8347 on: November 23, 2020, 12:57:43 PM »

Yep, you can get the European version in the US, though it's not widely available. I used to have one. They have a very small drum, and in my experience the dryer doesn't dry all the way no matter what you do, so you still basically have to hang the laundry up for a bit at the end, anyway. (Note that I have used them in Europe, and the ones I've used there don't seem to have that problem.)

These are becoming incredibly common in the small condos they build in Vancouver, because they can fit under the kitchen counters and don't need a separate room or closet to put them in. I imagine they'll become more common everywhere as smaller places are built.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8348 on: November 23, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »
I looked at them briefly when we needed to replace our washer and dryer s year ago. The ratings on Consumer Reports were quite a bit lower than for separate machines that do one function.

Yes, I bought a matching set as my dryer died and my washer had been leaking. I had a repair person out who recommended against repair as the cost of parts + labor was pretty close to the cost of replacement. We had a small space so stacking was the only way to go.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8349 on: November 23, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »

These are becoming incredibly common in the small condos they build in Vancouver, because they can fit under the kitchen counters and don't need a separate room or closet to put them in. I imagine they'll become more common everywhere as smaller places are built.

Yes, mine is under the kitchen counter too! Weird that the ones you can buy there don't work properly. I have used my dryer less than 10 times in 2 years but when I did it worked. In here almost everyone has a washing machine . Sharing a machine with others in the building or using a laundrette is something that most people would consider to be very unhygienic.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!