Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082620 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6200 on: March 24, 2017, 07:55:39 AM »
What if I told you that I just take a cup, put 2 teaspoons of pre-ground coffee in it and the fill it with boiling water?

Well, I'm not the OP, but coffee made with boiling water is is not nice, IMO. But if you adjusted the temperature, an interesting concept. Do you just wait for the 'sediment' to sink? My grandad made tea that way, always. Leaves in, stir them about, when you hit them at the bottom of the cup you stopped drinking.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #6201 on: March 24, 2017, 08:20:44 AM »
Do you just wait for the 'sediment' to sink? My grandad made tea that way, always. Leaves in, stir them about, when you hit them at the bottom of the cup you stopped drinking.
Pretty much like that. It works even better with coffee than with dried tea because the particles don't float so easily. I don't use literally boiling water, but it's water straight from the kettle. I should have said "hot".

For guests I have a french press. (For the coffee, not for the guests!)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6202 on: March 24, 2017, 08:37:43 AM »
Do you just wait for the 'sediment' to sink? My grandad made tea that way, always. Leaves in, stir them about, when you hit them at the bottom of the cup you stopped drinking.
Pretty much like that. It works even better with coffee than with dried tea because the particles don't float so easily. I don't use literally boiling water, but it's water straight from the kettle. I should have said "hot".

I thought you were trolling.  The few times I have got grounds in my cup and sipped them it felt like I was drinking sand.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #6203 on: March 24, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
Just to clarify: I'm not drinking the grounds 😉

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #6204 on: March 24, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

I thought you were trolling.  The few times I have got grounds in my cup and sipped them it felt like I was drinking sand.

I know I'm a little weird, but I like having grounds at the bottom (that I eventually drink/swallow/chew on).  I figure it's a little caffeine boost.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6205 on: March 24, 2017, 02:52:34 PM »

I know I'm a little weird, but I like having grounds at the bottom (that I eventually drink/swallow/chew on).  I figure it's a little caffeine boost.

https://driftaway.coffee/how-do-you-make-cowboy-coffee/

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #6206 on: March 25, 2017, 08:23:16 AM »
More from the high-end yard sale group:

- two more Gucci purses for over $4,000 each, both with tons of gushing comments.

- a "high-end" treadmill that is TEN YEARS OLD (rarely used, though), asking $1,000. JFC, my treadmill looks much more high-end than this one (more bells and whistles, lifetime guarantee on the motor, etc.) and I got it for $50 from a neighbor.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #6207 on: March 25, 2017, 01:37:04 PM »
We keep a kitchen thermometer around for checking the water temp for our coffee (if you're doing it the French press or cowboy method.) Ideal water temp is between 198-202 degrees. The machines can be so variable.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6208 on: March 25, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »

https://driftaway.coffee/how-do-you-make-cowboy-coffee/
This is interesting because for me growing up, "cowboy coffee" referred to a coffee that was more milk than coffee (I guess a latte, but not espresso). Were my parents just weird? Regional thing? (We actually have cowboys among our ancestors--and miners, incidentally--so I never doubted the term.)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6209 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:11 AM »
I remember a story about a depression era blue collar fellow on a tight budget. He would brew a pot of coffee (percolator pot on the stove) on Mon morn and drink some of it. The next day he would add a spoonful of new grounds to yesterday's grounds and add some water. Repeat all week. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6210 on: March 27, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »
I remember a story about a depression era blue collar fellow on a tight budget. He would brew a pot of coffee (percolator pot on the stove) on Mon morn and drink some of it. The next day he would add a spoonful of new grounds to yesterday's grounds and add some water. Repeat all week.

I do something similar.  At the end of the week, I bake the grounds into a cake.  Good fiber.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #6211 on: March 27, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
We keep a kitchen thermometer around for checking the water temp for our coffee (if you're doing it the French press or cowboy method.) Ideal water temp is between 198-202 degrees. The machines can be so variable.
Thanks for the tip! I just give my boiling water 30 or 40 seconds to cool down but now I'll try measuring and see what I'm dealing with.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6212 on: March 27, 2017, 01:48:53 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I just give my boiling water 30 or 40 seconds to cool down but now I'll try measuring and see what I'm dealing with.

A few Christmases ago, I got a multi-temperature kettle from my parents. It does 70, 80, 90 and 100 and is totally awesome.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #6213 on: March 27, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »

A few Christmases ago, I got a multi-temperature kettle from my parents. It does 70, 80, 90 and 100 and is totally awesome.

I'll never understand why people in Europe drink their coffee and tea so cold!

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #6214 on: March 27, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »

Europe has the metric system, not cold coffee.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6215 on: March 27, 2017, 02:43:25 PM »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6216 on: March 27, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »

My wife  makes Vietnamese Iced Coffee
https://www.google.com/search?q=vietnamese+coffee&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
It uses sweatened condensed milk and Cafe du Monde coffee. It is very good.
  I have dark chocolate covered coffee beans in my freezer they're yummy!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6217 on: March 27, 2017, 03:06:07 PM »

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #6218 on: March 27, 2017, 04:03:12 PM »

My wife  makes Vietnamese Iced Coffee
https://www.google.com/search?q=vietnamese+coffee&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
It uses sweatened condensed milk and Cafe du Monde coffee. It is very good.
  I have dark chocolate covered coffee beans in my freezer they're yummy!

Jokes aside, Vietnamese and Thai iced coffees are pretty much the most delicious things ever invented.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6219 on: March 27, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »

That's funny, I don't recall hearing about that Liberian that walked on the moon....

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6220 on: March 27, 2017, 08:34:17 PM »

That's funny, I don't recall hearing about that Liberian that walked on the moon....

I'll be dead in my grave before I recognize Liberiya as a country

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6221 on: March 27, 2017, 11:58:25 PM »
A classmate from high school wrote on Facebook today

"Just keep winning free play on our lotto tickets (frowny face), I'd be happy with hundred thou and be out of debt.  Some day I'll win big (smiley face)"

Doubt it.  (Face palm face)

Update time.  Same person just posted a photo of a 65" 4K LED Smart TV with the caption "present for husband".  Dare I ask if she's out of debt now?

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6222 on: March 28, 2017, 12:55:25 AM »

I'll be dead in my grave before I recognize Liberiya as a country

Don't you mean Lieberia?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6223 on: March 28, 2017, 06:01:20 AM »

I do something similar.  At the end of the week, I bake the grounds into a cake.  Good fiber.
So that's how coffee cake is made? America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country, and Alton Brown are doing it all wrong.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:25:00 AM by jinga nation »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6224 on: March 28, 2017, 07:44:09 AM »

Okay - my sarcasm detector is broken this week. You really do this?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6225 on: March 28, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »

Anyone on this board knows I'm probably the least sarcastic member.  Of course I do this.  Remember, once you eat the coffee cake, you can use the next day's fermentation result as a rich organic fertilizer.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6226 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:54 AM »
Adding "fermentation result" to my slang lexicon.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6227 on: March 28, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
I've been noticing more than one person on the Facebook buy and sell group for my town posting REALLY expensive remote control cars for sale.  Like $2000+.  Used.  I thought one was a joke, because it looked just like any other rc toy truck, and the guy wanted $2000 for it and said he "invested" (wrong word) $3000+, but he was dead serious.  I realize that the sky's the limit as far as pouring money into any hobby, but for me I'd have to have the most insane surplus of money before I felt like buying toys like that... and I got the sense this person didn't.
Hell, I've spent less on real cars as hobby projects.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #6228 on: March 28, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »

And one that mixed Metric and Imperial and lost a $193 Million Mars probe.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6229 on: March 28, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »

And one that mixed Metric and Imperial and lost a $193 Million Mars probe.

Doing orbital dynamics with Imperial just sucks.  In most other applications I have seen the difference comes down to what you are comfortable working with.

But in with orbits you get numbers like 54.53x10^8 ft/(slug*hogshead)  and you are like what the heck is that?  Does that magnitude even make sense?

Where with metric in orbits you get numbers like 8.42 x10^3 meter and you can be like ok that sounds right. 

Coincidentally ft/(slug*hogshead) is also the units for the linear density of a threads foam.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #6230 on: March 29, 2017, 05:39:10 AM »

Anyone on this board knows I'm probably the least sarcastic member.  Of course I do this.  Remember, once you eat the coffee cake, you can use the next day's fermentation result as a rich organic fertilizer.

He's not lying -- coffee can be improved through digestive fermentation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6231 on: March 29, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
Coincidentally ft/(slug*hogshead) is also the units for the linear density of a threads foam.

I remember in undergrad how my class was on the verge of a populist revolt when our professor had us do a thermodynamics homework assignment in imperial units. Good lord, what a mass of unnecessary confusion.

It feels like aerospace is the only holdout in engineering where we haven't fully converted to metric. It drives me nuts, especially when they mix systems, since you just can't get around the fact that fundamental science is only done in metric.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6232 on: March 29, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »

I remember in undergrad how my class was on the verge of a populist revolt when our professor had us do a thermodynamics homework assignment in imperial units. Good lord, what a mass of unnecessary confusion.

It feels like aerospace is the only holdout in engineering where we haven't fully converted to metric. It drives me nuts, especially when they mix systems, since you just can't get around the fact that fundamental science is only done in metric.

I had to do the same in my engineering classes.  You know, because we have to work with *!* Americans.
Up through third year, about 20% of all our problems were in imperial, it seemed, just to get used to the units, and this was especially true for any work or heat type of units and to memorize the constants.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6233 on: March 31, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »
hah, I bet the US still uses British Thermal Units instead of kiloWatts.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6234 on: March 31, 2017, 10:49:11 PM »
When it comes to specifying a furnace, yes. We also use the Ton as a unit for air conditioning.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6235 on: April 02, 2017, 11:11:40 AM »
When it comes to specifying a furnace, yes. We also use the Ton as a unit for air conditioning.
We also use it as a unit for excrement.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6236 on: April 03, 2017, 06:26:17 AM »

I think we make up for that by selling soda by the liter.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6237 on: April 03, 2017, 07:47:45 AM »
I recently started following the Forbes page on facebook and am honestly surprised at the amount of consumerism they push.
"10 New Cars to Avoid"
"8 New Cars you Must Have"
"Why you should spend all of your money on experiences instead of things."

So I've been trolling the comments with occasional mmm links.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6238 on: April 03, 2017, 06:57:13 PM »
I recently started following the Forbes page on facebook and am honestly surprised at the amount of consumerism they push.
"10 New Cars to Avoid"

Honestly who buys 8 new cars?  What are they poor?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6239 on: April 04, 2017, 12:36:45 AM »
"10 New Cars to Avoid"

Honestly who buys 8 new cars?  What are they poor?
If they aren't yet, the *will* be after buying 8 new cars! :P

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #6240 on: April 04, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
Dammit!  I need to start adding people, that I don't have common interests with, on Facebook.  I have nothing to share here.  In fact, the only current financial post on my feed is someone talking about how they've made the last payment on their car and how they're going to keep this car as long as possible.  I have people doing home gardening, reusing stuff around the house, and doing their own repairs and upkeep at home.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6241 on: April 04, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
One of my HS classmates is considering getting Consumer Cellular phone service and asked for feedback.  A couple of people responded positively about the coverage and how if only cost around $50 per month.  :O  This gave me a chance to pitch my Pure Talk wireless service at $10 per month.

rencelas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6242 on: April 04, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »
One of my HS classmates is considering getting Consumer Cellular phone service and asked for feedback.  A couple of people responded positively about the coverage and how if only cost around $50 per month.  :O  This gave me a chance to pitch my Pure Talk wireless service at $10 per month.

Just looked briefly at their site. No data included in plan? Is there a better plan I'm missing? What do they charge per additional line? Which network do they use?

My wife and parents share a CC plan - it's $53 / month for 3 people, unlimited text, 250 minutes, 1.5gb of data. Seems pretty reasonable for 3 people but maybe I'm missing something with PureTalk that would be a good savings.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6243 on: April 05, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »
Consumer Cellular gets expensive for data if you use much.  However, for the actual phone part it is a good deal, $10/line and $15 for 250 minutes, up to $30 for unlimited minutes.  I have an account that I share with my Mom.  Data is used as backup, not my primary use.  I'm glad I fact checked for this comment as they seem to have changed the pricing ladders a bit.  For the good, I think.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6244 on: April 05, 2017, 07:38:29 PM »
Yeah Consumer Cellular is pretty good for multiple lines. Now if only they added international roaming.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6245 on: April 06, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
My Facebook feed is usually pretty boring and doesn't have much material for this thread. But today I have a (few) golden nugget(s).

An acquaintance I know has been cribbing on FB for the past three years that they've fallen into hard times with three kids. And promptly went and had another because 'kids are God's gifts'.

Then she tried her hand at photography and tried creating mini sessions for moms and babies and wanted every mom in her friends circle to buy it. Asking them to buy it if interested is fine, pressuring them to buy is not. Still most of us bought it because she is a decent photographer and we wanted to support her home based venture.

Then she took a year plus to deliver the pictures because she was always busy with kids and the kids spoil her life, yada yada yada. She even told a few moms that she can't give their pictures because kids destroyed the digital files. She also didn't reimburse them since the money is gone and she is broke.

Oh I forgot to mention, she also quit her job as soon as first kid was born because 'sending kids to daycare is a sure way to hell' (her words). She then cribs her kids don't give her any alone time.

Now, she has been cribbing that they have to move to a different house. The reason they are moving: they sold their current house for a million plus dollars in cash.

To add, she also wants someone to come help her with packing for free. When a friend of mine went to help since she is a mom too and knows how hard it is to pack with kids around, she said the house was a zoo and the acquaintance wanted my friend to take care of kids and pack as well... What was the acquaintance doing? Well, resting of course. You can't expect a mom of four to pack, can ya?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6246 on: April 07, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »
I thought you were talking about someone barely getting by in a trailer or tiny ranch house 20 miles out into the country.

Million dollar house? How about she spend some of that cash and hire movers and a babysitter? If it costs $3000 to move then oh well, you have $3000 less to put down on the new mansion... The expectations some people have is ridiculous!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6247 on: April 07, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »

Just looked briefly at their site. No data included in plan? Is there a better plan I'm missing? What do they charge per additional line? Which network do they use?

My wife and parents share a CC plan - it's $53 / month for 3 people, unlimited text, 250 minutes, 1.5gb of data. Seems pretty reasonable for 3 people but maybe I'm missing something with PureTalk that would be a good savings.

• The basic plan that I use is effectively no data (50M/Month)  I just turned off data on my phone and tough it out.  I can pick up free wifi pretty easily though.
  • Plans with more minutes, data, and or texts are available but the basic plan met my needs.  As I recall switching plans is free so you can move up or down as needed easily.
  • I think they use the AT&T network.  I had an unlocked AT&T phone when I started using the service and am using an unlocked T-Mobile phone with no issues
  • Getting the service was easy.  The hardest part for me was getting my work AT&T phone unlocked after I FIREd.  Once that was done is was dirt simple.  Getting the T-Mobile phone unlocked was very easy.
  • I do not know if they give multi-line discounts but 3 lines for $30/Month sounds pretty good to me.
  • My plan is 250 minutes per month but I get (100 to 150) bonus minutes per month for 6(?) months due to some promotion they had when I signed up, these bonus minutes roll over and do not expire.  My usage is well under the cap so I am banking the bonus.
  • Texts (in or out) count as 1/3 minute each.  I rarely use that service.  For texting I mainly use WeChat over wifi which is free.

Full disclosure: My wife has an unlimited plan through T-Mobile for $50/Month which makes my mini plan more workable.  We use her phone when we make long calls.  She uses her phone extensively for work and needs the data in particular.  The phone is a deductible business expense so it is partially paid for through reduced taxes.

chubbybunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6248 on: April 10, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »
This is my mistake for actually commenting on Facebook.  We live in a county that is AT LEAST 40 miles from the I85 collapse (we are west of Atlanta).  Someone posted on our county board to be careful with traffic Monday morning, as Atlanta traffic is predicted to be somewhere between Walking Dead and Snowmageddon.

I stupidly commented that if you had to drive past I85 to get to work, your commute is too long and maybe you should think about moving. I got a TON of replies.  Most of them are the houses are cheap here (they are), and an hour in the car isn't so bad.  I am fairly sure it takes about 90 minutes to drive from where I live to get to downtown Atlanta, and that's on a regular day.  I haven't commented back, but I really want to say YOU ARE THE REASON THE TRAFFIC IS SO BAD HERE!!!

Fortunately for me, I don't have a commute.  Probably best if I don't try to participate in this conversation again.  Not a single person agreed with me.  Apparently it is completely normal (and expected) where I live to spend 15 hours a week in your car, driving back and forth to work. 

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6249 on: April 10, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
I stupidly commented that if you had to drive past I85 to get to work, your commute is too long and maybe you should think about moving. I got a TON of replies.  Most of them are the houses are cheap here (they are), and an hour in the car isn't so bad.  I am fairly sure it takes about 90 minutes to drive from where I live to get to downtown Atlanta, and that's on a regular day.  I haven't commented back, but I really want to say YOU ARE THE REASON THE TRAFFIC IS SO BAD HERE!!!

Wow! I currently commute about 35 minutes (maybe longer during holidays and such), and it is absolutely soul-sucking! I wish I discovered MMM before choosing where I live. I have been so close to falling asleep in the car that it's downright dangerous. Now I force myself to get 9 hours of sleep so I don't get drowsy when driving. I can't even fathom an hour each way.

Thankfully I'm moving in a couple months.

You should share the True Cost of Commuting article:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!