Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082511 times)

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1100 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:06 AM »
(EDIT) Whoops, posted in wrong "Overheard on.." thread.

My experiment with re-following everybody has been interesting. Not a lot of money talk, surprisingly. Lots of drama, though... and one of my friends is majorly into 31 gifts. More later.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:31:21 AM by FunkyStickman »

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1101 on: November 11, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »
Speaking of dumb baby food stuff, this competition was in my news feed a while ago
http://www.kiwifamilies.co.nz/competitions/rollie-eggmaster/

wtaf?  A whole benchtop appliance devoted to cooking a single egg?

I am fascinated by this. there's no way that is easier than cooking eggs in a pan. or fuck, microwaving them in a bowl as I do every morning.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1102 on: November 11, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
Speaking of dumb baby food stuff, this competition was in my news feed a while ago

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but when you’re on the go it can be hard to find the time to stop for a nutritious brekkie.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1103 on: November 11, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »

I am fascinated by this. there's no way that is easier than cooking eggs in a pan. or fuck, microwaving them in a bowl as I do every morning.

This thing cooks vertically.  Recent studies have shown that vertically polarized molecules increase health.  Moreover, it makes your eggs in a cylindrical shape.  Cylindrical ions have been observed to decrease diabeetus in mice.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1104 on: November 11, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »

This thing cooks vertically.  Recent studies have shown that vertically polarized molecules increase health.  Moreover, it makes your eggs in a cylindrical shape.  Cylindrical ions have been observed to decrease diabeetus in mice.

I'm pretty sure it's how the astronauts on the space station cook their brekkie.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #1105 on: November 11, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
Until I got pregnant, I was unaware how much cr*p was marketed to new parents. Earbuds for my belly? REALLY?!?!

My favorite is baby food makers. Literally a food processor with a smiley face on it.

When my first kid was at the age of starting solids, I used the regular food processor about twice, then got lazy and started just mashing up plain fruit/veg with a fork.

I don't understand the baby food industry at all.

We made all our baby food. We would buy a whole pile of fruits, veggies, even chicken. Then cook, process and freeze them into ice cubes for easy serving. It would take all weekend once a month.

Whenever I end up in the baby aisle at the grocery store, I take a moment to stare at the thousands of little jars and think, "Holy shit. Our way was sooo much easier."

Seriously... I mean, you even have to grease the inside of the thing before you use it!

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #1106 on: November 11, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1107 on: November 11, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »

The most annoying thing about that post is that it uses the word "brekkie" instead of breakfast. I'm betting it's a NZ/Aussie thing but still pisses me off.

Yes, absolutely standard kiwi dialect :)  You have a cuppa with your brekkie while you take a squizz at the morning paper.  (have a hot beverage while eating breakfast and reading the newspaper)

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1108 on: November 11, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »

The most annoying thing about that post is that it uses the word "brekkie" instead of breakfast. I'm betting it's a NZ/Aussie thing but still pisses me off.

Yes, absolutely standard kiwi dialect :)  You have a cuppa with your brekkie while you take a squizz at the morning paper.  (have a hot beverage while eating breakfast and reading the newspaper)

As a Brit in Los Angeles, I think the word brekkie is perfectly fine. It is the word veggies that makes me squirm.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1110 on: November 11, 2014, 11:19:58 PM »
As a Brit in Los Angeles, I think the word brekkie is perfectly fine. It is the word veggies that makes me squirm.
Why, what do you call veggies??

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #1111 on: November 11, 2014, 11:39:40 PM »

wow, I would be SO lost in your country!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #1112 on: November 12, 2014, 12:45:08 AM »

I normally take a squiz in the toilet after my breekie.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1113 on: November 12, 2014, 12:53:28 AM »

I normally take a squiz in the toilet after my breekie.
Do you take a squizz at your whiz?

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1114 on: November 12, 2014, 03:55:56 AM »

Just veg as in meat and two veg or veg out in front of the telly

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1115 on: November 12, 2014, 07:25:12 AM »

To be fair, we Americans don't veggie out in front of the television.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1116 on: November 12, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »

Wait, so the plural of veg is veg? One veg, two veg, a hundred veg?  I also don't get why veggies is offensive to you, but veg is ok.

Also veg is used as a verb, while veggies is used as a noun.  I have only ever heard them used that way.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1117 on: November 12, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »

Wait, so the plural of veg is veg? One veg, two veg, a hundred veg?  I also don't get why veggies is offensive to you, but veg is ok.

Also veg is used as a verb, while veggies is used as a noun.  I have only ever heard them used that way.

How much veg could a veggie-vegger veg if a veggie-vegger could veg veg?

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1118 on: November 13, 2014, 07:09:24 AM »

1 vegemite sandwich.

That stuff looks terrible.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #1119 on: November 13, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »

1 vegemite sandwich.

That stuff looks terrible.

Mmmmm.. Fomay Vegimite...

Charm14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1120 on: November 13, 2014, 11:28:49 AM »
Until I got pregnant, I was unaware how much cr*p was marketed to new parents. Earbuds for my belly? REALLY?!?!

My favorite is baby food makers. Literally a food processor with a smiley face on it.

When my first kid was at the age of starting solids, I used the regular food processor about twice, then got lazy and started just mashing up plain fruit/veg with a fork.

My SIL once said that she wanted a Baby Magic Bullet, so my brother took one of the regular Magic Bullet cups and drew a smiley face on it with a sharpie and handed it to her. Problem solved.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1121 on: November 13, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »

My SIL once said that she wanted a Baby Magic Bullet, so my brother took one of the regular Magic Bullet cups and drew a smiley face on it with a sharpie and handed it to her. Problem solved.

That just made me snork aloud in my cube, good job!

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #1122 on: November 13, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »

That just made me snork aloud in my cube, good job!

That's awesome.  Well played.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #1123 on: November 13, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »

Charm's brother wins the thread.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1124 on: November 13, 2014, 06:22:15 PM »
Friend on FB: Does anyone know of any inexpensive apartments, in this very specific area, with xyz and abc all needed, our rent is going up and we just can't afford it.

Same friend a few weeks later: Just booked our next trip to Disney (for a family of 5) I'm so excited!!

Nope, I don't see any correlation, I'm afraid she doesn't either, she is always crying poor??

purpleqgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1125 on: November 14, 2014, 07:50:55 AM »

This confused me SO much until I googled Magic Bullet.   Maybe it's the circles I travel in, but I was only aware of the 'personal massager' called the magic bullet.

http://www.amazon.com/Function-Magic-Bullet-Waterproof-Vibrator/dp/B002IIFDJA/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1126 on: November 14, 2014, 08:06:35 AM »

This confused me SO much until I googled Magic Bullet.   Maybe it's the circles I travel in, but I was only aware of the 'personal massager' called the magic bullet.

http://www.amazon.com/Function-Magic-Bullet-Waterproof-Vibrator/dp/B002IIFDJA/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Haha, +1  I thought I was the only perv.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #1127 on: November 14, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »
The secretary for my IT department recently purchased a $29,990 2014 Mercedes CLA-250 FWD.
Yes... an hourly employee (I estimate less than $18/hr ) who was already complaining that the loan on her 2012 Chevy Equinox was too high per month... purchased a 2014 Mercedes.  I can't face-punch hard enough.

I recently flew to CT from WI to buy a 2006 Audi that was exactly what I wanted. Paid cash. Under $7k. And I'm a salaried employee that makes a pretty good wage. 

Summary: 21 year old secretary buys $30k car, has $900/mo apartment, makes me facepunch myself so hard I can't comprehend how her life works.
sadly, thats how most people's life work. I live in an apartmeny and lots of my neighbors drive of cars over $24,000.

Secretary walks over to my desk today and says: "Hey, you know a lot about cars, do you know where i can get the best rubber floor mats for my new car(2014 Mercedes CLA250 $30k!!!).  And cheap?   "

Me:  "Weathertech. Buy them online. They're $100 for the fronts"
Her: "but i need the back too... cause the kid makes a mess."
Me: "$180 for front and rear"
Her: "thats tooooo muuuchhhh...."

me self-face punching ensues. a $30k car and won't spend $100 on floor mats?
afterwards she asked me where to take it to get it cleaned because it's too cold out for her to do it herself.

more face punching.  I am so glad she is not related to me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1128 on: November 14, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »
The secretary for my IT department recently purchased a $29,990 2014 Mercedes CLA-250 FWD.
Yes... an hourly employee (I estimate less than $18/hr ) who was already complaining that the loan on her 2012 Chevy Equinox was too high per month... purchased a 2014 Mercedes.  I can't face-punch hard enough.

I recently flew to CT from WI to buy a 2006 Audi that was exactly what I wanted. Paid cash. Under $7k. And I'm a salaried employee that makes a pretty good wage. 

Summary: 21 year old secretary buys $30k car, has $900/mo apartment, makes me facepunch myself so hard I can't comprehend how her life works.
sadly, thats how most people's life work. I live in an apartmeny and lots of my neighbors drive of cars over $24,000.

Secretary walks over to my desk today and says: "Hey, you know a lot about cars, do you know where i can get the best rubber floor mats for my new car(2014 Mercedes CLA250 $30k!!!).  And cheap?   "

afterwards she asked me where to take it to get it cleaned because it's too cold out for her to do it herself.

She can't afford the mats because she spent all her money on the undercoat!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1129 on: November 14, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »

That's INSANE.  Everyone knows you finance the undercoat.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1130 on: November 15, 2014, 09:27:10 AM »

That's INSANE.  Everyone knows you finance the undercoat.

LITERALLY WATCHED THIS LAST NIGHT! What the hell took me and my wife so long? Very enjoyable. Such stupid criminals. We were yelling at Buscemi the whole time. Just inept, which of course made it fun.

CatchingFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1131 on: November 18, 2014, 07:27:26 AM »
"well if everything goes to plan I should be able to pay off a large chunk of debt and buy myself a lovely 50mm 1.4 in time for Christmas!"

I was sad to see this. It's not the most expensive lens, but coming from a family that does a lot of things right (one car family, bikes/walks kids places, buys used clothing for the kids & resells it after they've outgrown)... I've been secretly rooting for them and it's sad to see her replacing a perfectly good 50mm 1.8 lens that she already has.

I really want to say something. Point her in the better direction, but it's not really my place.

My 50 1.8 was my favorite.  I rented the 1.4 and was sort of disappointed considering the insane price difference.  It's all gone now that I've switched to mirrorless.  Overspending is rampant in female photography forums I've frequented though, so this isn't surprising.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1132 on: November 18, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »
Now when you say female photography...

But seriously - there are female-only photography forums? Do women photograph the world so differently from men that they can't post to the same community about it?

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1133 on: November 18, 2014, 09:01:11 AM »
Well this was not on facebook, but on used Regina...

http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/Bottle-drive-please-help_23494969

Very sad...

CatchingFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1134 on: November 18, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »
Now when you say female photography...

But seriously - there are female-only photography forums? Do women photograph the world so differently from men that they can't post to the same community about it?

Yes, there are several really large ones actually. It's interestingly a very different kind of community than the male-dominated photography forums I've been a part of.  They tend to be less technically oriented and more aesthetically oriented.  Education/learning on the site is more conversational and experiential than technical after the basics.  I hate to stereotype, but the women-only forums are more focused on portrait, lifestyle, fine art style photography with little attention to landscape, sports, studio and automobile photography (which I find to be the dominant topics in other forums).  It's a niche market, but seems incredibly successful.  One website has over 20,000 members and publishes their own magazine which I saw at Barnes and Noble the other day!

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #1135 on: November 18, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »
Just posted the other day on my feed:

"Anyone in the market for a home?  We want to downsize, it's just too big for us."  At this point, I'm pumped.  I'm hoping he's going to say they are looking for something 1500sf or less...

This guy and his wife are selling their 6k sf home to downsize to "4800sf or so."   Jesus H F-ing Christ.  Two people, three small dogs.  Someone commented that they won't get lost when they go to visit now.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1136 on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:43 PM »

"Anyone in the market for a home?  We want to downsize, it's just too big for us."  At this point, I'm pumped.  I'm hoping he's going to say they are looking for something 1500sf or less...

This guy and his wife are selling their 6k sf home to downsize to "4800sf or so."   Jesus H F-ing Christ.  Two people, three small dogs.  Someone commented that they won't get lost when they go to visit now.
I have four people (3 adults, one kid) in a 1000 sq (but we have a garage and basement not included in that) and I think we have more than enough space.  Wow!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1137 on: November 18, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »
"well if everything goes to plan I should be able to pay off a large chunk of debt and buy myself a lovely 50mm 1.4 in time for Christmas!"

I was sad to see this. It's not the most expensive lens, but coming from a family that does a lot of things right (one car family, bikes/walks kids places, buys used clothing for the kids & resells it after they've outgrown)... I've been secretly rooting for them and it's sad to see her replacing a perfectly good 50mm 1.8 lens that she already has.

I really want to say something. Point her in the better direction, but it's not really my place.

My 50 1.8 was my favorite.  I rented the 1.4 and was sort of disappointed considering the insane price difference.  It's all gone now that I've switched to mirrorless.  Overspending is rampant in female photography forums I've frequented though, so this isn't surprising.

Dude, the 50/1.8 for both nikon and canon are incredible value. Find one used for like $80. The 1.4 needs a good reason - mine was that I got one for $200 instead of $300, and use it all the time... I sure wouldn't go into debt for one. (Maybe one day I'll upgrade to the new Sigma 50/1.4, but probably not.)

It's totally true that guys tend to be more tech oriented. Often this means bullshitting about gear and crap instead of getting the shots, which is frustrating as all hell when shooting with a group. With that said... maybe just because I'm a guy, but I gravitate towards the work of male photographers more - I don't really care about weddings, families, etc etc etc; give me breathtaking landscapes and wildlife. Obviously there are a lot of exceptions, but on average, both of those are more commonly taken by dudes. So it goes. I don't have to support myself with my camera whereas most professional work is whatever puts food on the table, and that's photos of people.

/offtopic

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #1138 on: November 18, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »

A house that's 2500-3000 square feet is not a place I would ever want to live, but I can at least see how it could appeal.

6,000? For two people? I'm trying to imagine what that even looks like. The mind boggles.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1139 on: November 18, 2014, 01:17:45 PM »

A house that's 2500-3000 square feet is not a place I would ever want to live, but I can at least see how it could appeal.

6,000? For two people? I'm trying to imagine what that even looks like. The mind boggles.

I can only imagine it if we're talking about 3,000 sq ft above grade and a 3,000 sq foot huge finished basement. I've seen that before. But 6,000 on the main level or above? I don't know anyone with a house that big, and I know some pretty well off people. I might grant the Duggars a house that big, but anyone else? Pshaw!

(I just looked it up, and the Duggars (a family of 21) have a 7,000 sq ft. home. Kinda modest all things considered, if you consider that they have 19 freaking children.)

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #1140 on: November 18, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »
I saw whining the other day about how an eggnog latte at some non-SBUX shop was $5.16.

Clueless....absolutely clueless.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1141 on: November 18, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
I saw whining the other day about how an eggnog latte at some non-SBUX shop was $5.16.

Eggnog latte? Can't tell if that would be gross or delightful. Or delightfully gross like the eggnog milkshake I had once.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #1142 on: November 18, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »

Eggnog latte? Can't tell if that would be gross or delightful. Or delightfully gross like the eggnog milkshake I had once.

I've partaken once or twice in the past. "Delightfully gross" is an excellent descriptor. From what I remember, it tastes about how you'd expect, like really thin eggnog with an espresso kick.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1143 on: November 18, 2014, 03:32:38 PM »

That's about twice as much as my retired parents have. Can I imagine house twice as big? I guess I can, but I don't think I've been in one.  Unless you count palaces and mansions open to tourists of course.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #1144 on: November 18, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »

I can only imagine it if we're talking about 3,000 sq ft above grade and a 3,000 sq foot huge finished basement. I've seen that before. But 6,000 on the main level or above? I don't know anyone with a house that big, and I know some pretty well off people. I might grant the Duggars a house that big, but anyone else? Pshaw!

(I just looked it up, and the Duggars (a family of 21) have a 7,000 sq ft. home. Kinda modest all things considered, if you consider that they have 19 freaking children.)

Just double checked the post.  It's 4200sf, plus full finished basement.  Dude says it comes out to 6000sf...I'd post a pic, but not sure about that :)

Artemis67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1145 on: November 18, 2014, 07:01:50 PM »
Just double checked the post.  It's 4200sf, plus full finished basement.  Dude says it comes out to 6000sf...I'd post a pic, but not sure about that :)

That's 2.5 times the size of my house. And, even with all my art/craft/sewing hobbies, diy projects, and the small feline horde I share the place with, my house is still too damned big.

WTF, mate?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:03:51 PM by Artemis67 »

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1146 on: November 18, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »

That's 2.5 times the size of my house. And, even with all my art/craft/sewing hobbies, diy projects, and the small feline horde I share the place with, my house is still too damned big.

WTF, mate?

Their finished basement is larger than our whole house, and we have three children.

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1147 on: November 19, 2014, 06:45:35 AM »
I found another gem today!!!

"If anyone wants to start like a gofundme or get me a Christmas present... I would like a bulldog puppy, a bigger down payment for a house, a manny, and possibly Botox after the baby. That's about it for now. My job of taking care of the world pays me pennies and now I'm poor and in need of puppies and a smooth face. Thx"

Then there were like three smiley faces and a heart....I barfed a little.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1148 on: November 19, 2014, 08:59:25 AM »

We bought and live in a 6k sq ft house, we bought it as a flip, not your normal flip for sure, and we are living in it while we do the flip, we are now at the point of selling and it is amazing how quickly you get used to the size, it is 3 times the size of our last house and that one didn't feel small either. It is 3k on the main floor and 3k in a walkout finished basement, it would be the perfect house for a large family, we only have 3 children. We are obviously going to downsize once we sell it, but it is great for having company over, but having a huge house was never our goal. Heating it is not cheap, since we live in MI and it's already 19degrees here.

Our dream is a much smaller home so well insulated that much heat isn't necc. and we could have solar panels for our electricity. But recently I have looked at Condo's, we really don't know what we want, just less space for sure.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1149 on: November 19, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »
My job of taking care of the world pays me pennies and now I'm poor and in need of puppies and a smooth face.

What is their actual job?