Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081838 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6700 on: September 26, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »
When your truck is so expensive ($85,000) you're willing to trade it for real estate...

This truck's tires cost more than my car is worth.
So, buying this thing was bad, but turning it into real estate is potentially good.  Gotta wonder who would see this ad and think trading a piece of land or a house or condo for a truck is a good deal.

IVe got a a bridge I can trade

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6701 on: September 26, 2017, 09:11:57 AM »
He says he has title in hand, so at least there's no mortgage loan.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6702 on: September 26, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »
He says he has title in hand, so at least there's no mortgage loan.

I didn't even catch that, maybe he traded his house for it and now regrets it!

BuzzFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6703 on: September 26, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
The homes in my subdivision have values in the $200-$400k range, and every other driveway has a jacked up new looking pickup or giant SUV. When these people drive to and from work, I feel like they are looking at me with pity because I am the out of work guy (early retired) in gym clothes walking his dogs twice a day. I feel like printing out all of the best MMM blogs and taping them to these god awful vehicles.
I think I have the only Prius out of 100 or so houses.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #6704 on: September 26, 2017, 10:02:30 AM »
Just saw an ad on Facebook for layaway plans to purchase tickets to next year's EDC in Las Vegas. Layaway plans for music festival tickets!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6705 on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »
The homes in my subdivision have values in the $200-$400k range, and every other driveway has a jacked up new looking pickup or giant SUV. When these people drive to and from work, I feel like they are looking at me with pity because I am the out of work guy (early retired) in gym clothes walking his dogs twice a day. I feel like printing out all of the best MMM blogs and taping them to these god awful vehicles.
It's not you. It's the Prius. To them you're just another tree-hugging smug bum with dogs enjoying life.
Don't let the secret out unless they show an inkling or determination to change ways.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6706 on: September 26, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
It's not you. It's the Prius. To them you're just another tree-hugging smug bum with dogs enjoying life.
Don't let the secret out unless they show an inkling or determination to change ways.

Yup, but then again I'm the type of person that agreed heartily when a Coaster tells me that Minnesota is "terrible and so dang cold," because I really don't want any of them to get the idea to move over here. I like this state the way it is (apart from winter being too damn long).

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6707 on: September 26, 2017, 01:19:28 PM »
I was just playing around on gmc.com with adding options to the 2017 SIERRA 3500 DENALI and after I hit ~70k purchase price it stopped letting me add things, no clue why.  I was at 70k$ only half way through the options list; I did not even get to the 1600$ rear seat dvd players.  There are 2bed/2bath condos for 50k near my house....

Edit: I am now getting gmc denali adds at the bottom of mmm forum pages :-)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:36:37 PM by AlanStache »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6708 on: September 26, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »
Edit: I am now getting gmc denali adds at the bottom of mmm forum pages :-)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ublock+origin

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6709 on: September 26, 2017, 03:37:26 PM »
I was just playing around on gmc.com with adding options to the 2017 SIERRA 3500 DENALI and after I hit ~70k purchase price it stopped letting me add things, no clue why.  I was at 70k$ only half way through the options list; I did not even get to the 1600$ rear seat dvd players.  There are 2bed/2bath condos for 50k near my house....
Yeah, but how do the condos handle in the snow?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6710 on: September 26, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
Industrial-grade stability.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6711 on: September 26, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »

The condo would be perfectly static in the snow but it would not have 12 way power adjustable heated seats.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6712 on: September 26, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »

The condo would be perfectly static in the snow but it would not have 12 way power adjustable heated seats.

Dear lord, I have enough trouble leaving the house as it is!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6713 on: September 28, 2017, 08:23:01 AM »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6714 on: October 08, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »
Today somebody posted a chunk of "Gold Ore" for sale on several local Facebook buy and sell groups for "$1400 firm" and stated it was "VERY RARE, HAS A LOT OF GOLD IN IT".  It was Pyrite.  Fools Gold.  100% sure.  Either they wanted to rip someone off or were really that clueless.  Many offers of around $1 came in. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6715 on: October 09, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
Not on facebook, but I saw it in my Facebook feed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4960378/Childhood-sweethearts-buy-home-say-it.html

Young couple save up for a downpayment on a fixer-upper house and buy it at the age of 22 and 24 and plan to pay off the mortgage well before the age of 40.

3000 people let them know they are wasting their lives and are making the worst decision ever.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6716 on: October 09, 2017, 09:17:22 AM »
Not on facebook, but I saw it in my Facebook feed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4960378/Childhood-sweethearts-buy-home-say-it.html

Young couple save up for a downpayment on a fixer-upper house and buy it at the age of 22 and 24 and plan to pay off the mortgage well before the age of 40.

3000 people let them know they are wasting their lives and are making the worst decision ever.

Love all the comments that they must have had an inheritance or help to get a down-payment, because obviously two young people couldn't save it up by themselves.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6717 on: October 09, 2017, 03:22:44 PM »
My favorite comment: "Make happy memories or pay off the mortgage on number 4 Privet Drive. I know which one I choose."

I guess if you don't go out for kabobs you're automatically the Dursleys?! What about making happy memories AT number 4 Privet Drive?

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #6718 on: October 10, 2017, 05:08:20 AM »
There are different tricks at a dealer with interest rate

0% new car- typically instead of cash rebate on a higher manufacturer sticker price

1.9% example of certified used. For gm it's actually a good deal because the rate is subsidized by gm to get people into service and build loyalty. Price of car was determined ahead of time when they bought and valued it. They only put in like 125 for certification they add to the cost but as a buyer you also get warranties extensions and a little more piece of mind since they are supposed to have standards.

Bank deals- they do get commission with loans from their banks. They have working relationship with banks and can get people "bought" even if the bank normally wouldn't service the loan. I've seen them beat credit unions even with the commission so go in with a pre approved loan and let them beat it. You just need the leverage.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6719 on: October 10, 2017, 06:23:30 AM »
My favorite comment: "Make happy memories or pay off the mortgage on number 4 Privet Drive. I know which one I choose."

I guess if you don't go out for kabobs you're automatically the Dursleys?! What about making happy memories AT number 4 Privet Drive?

I bought a home at 24 without an inheritance, a well paying job or rich parents. And I hope we're more fun than the Dursleys ... The large cupboard under the stairs was a huge selling point for me though.

Actually my life has become so much more fun since we have bought this house. The mortgage on our terraced house is about half of the rent we used to pay for our terrible apartment and it's twice as big with a little garden. Many of our friends still live in shared rental flats so they all like to come over. We have BBQ's in summer and film nights in winter and everyone can stay over at night because our house is so big (well, 800 square foot, but that's like a mansion for the average 20-something). We can decorate the house exactly the way we like. We have control over the heating! We finally have a proper sized kitchen and dinner table so we can invite people over for dinner. We do live in a bog standard terraced home on a housing estate that might not be 'good enough' for everyone but that's a small price to pay for all this fun.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6720 on: October 11, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »

These kind of comments really piss me off.  I grew up below the poverty level and we always lived in subsidized housing.  I saved up a down payment and bought a house by myself at 24 in mid-COL area, without receiving $0.01 from my parents after I turned 18.  No inheritance, no gifts, not even any financial help while in college.  And I have certainly have more fun than the Dursleys :D

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6721 on: October 11, 2017, 11:29:07 PM »

Nope, Dursleys only eat avocado toast

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6722 on: October 12, 2017, 07:23:11 AM »
I wanted to comment that you should invest that money in index funds but I refrained.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #6723 on: October 12, 2017, 09:06:41 AM »
It amazes me how much people think saving money and having fun is mutually exclusive.
My friend group all makes anywhere from 60k-100k and just turning 30. We had a blast in college and had a blast when I was making 30k less right out of college. Not sure why it got more expensive?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6724 on: October 12, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »

I bought a home at 24 without an inheritance, a well paying job or rich parents. And I hope we're more fun than the Dursleys ... The large cupboard under the stairs was a huge selling point for me though.

We just put an offer in on a house and when touring it, I found the closet under the stairs and exclaimed "That's where Harry Potter will live!"

Definitely get a dog or cat, call him harry, set that up as his room

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #6725 on: October 12, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »
Posted by a friend who is raising money for charity by organising a raffle with multiple prizes. This is one of the prizes.

"Summer drinks for your dog."

I'm pretty certain the only appropriate drink for a dog is tap water. I can't believe there is a market for this.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6726 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:09 PM »
Posted by a friend who is raising money for charity by organising a raffle with multiple prizes. This is one of the prizes.

I'm pretty certain the only appropriate drink for a dog is tap water. I can't believe there is a market for this.

Mine likes the garden hose and has a positive fascination from the output of the rain catchment barrels. She's never sampled the toilet since she's a teacup Chihuahua who would probably die if she fell in by accident and couldn't get out. However she's also a Venomous Spaz Beast, possibly from outer space, so YMMV.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6727 on: October 13, 2017, 04:59:38 AM »

Mine likes the garden hose and has a positive fascination from the output of the rain catchment barrels. She's never sampled the toilet since she's a teacup Chihuahua who would probably die if she fell in by accident and couldn't get out. However she's also a Venomous Spaz Beast, possibly from outer space, so YMMV.

"Wild water"  The best water there is.  One of my cats loves the water in that has drained through the flower pots into the catch basin.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6728 on: October 13, 2017, 05:23:56 AM »
Our Cairn Terrier will walk past a bowl of cold fresh filtered water, just filled from the fridge door, and head for the toilet. Clearly toilet water is superior, as it's quite an effort for the little bugger to get a drink. It involves standing on her toenails, stretching over the rim, armpits hooked on the edge, while barely being able to reach the water to lap.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6729 on: October 13, 2017, 06:00:58 AM »
My parents barely bother to change the cats' water bowl. The cats prefer either "human water" (any half-full glass left around will acquire a cat diligently dipping in and licking a paw - this is, of course, the exact same tap water that goes into their bowl) or the mouldering algae-green water that accumulates in a bowl left outside the back door, originally by accident but now for this express purpose.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6730 on: October 13, 2017, 08:12:02 AM »
So... based on the last few posts... cats like their water flavored... albeit natural flavors.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6731 on: October 13, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
"Wild water"  The best water there is.  One of my cats loves the water in that has drained through the flower pots into the catch basin.

My cats do, too!  They were staying with my mom while I was out of town recently, and she has a plant that is just in water for now sitting on her kitchen table.  She caught them several times going up there and drinking out of the plant water, despite their filtered water bowl being like 5 feet away.  At my home, they strongly prefer to turn on the kitchen sink and drink from there -- even over the pet drinking fountain I bought for the express purpose of getting them away from the habit of turning on the kitchen sink.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6732 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:05 PM »
Great Danes very much prefer to drink from human tumblers. Next best is the toilet, then any available muddy puddle, and last their water "bowl" (a 5-gallon bucket).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6733 on: October 14, 2017, 09:25:32 PM »
My cats are happy to drink from the 2 water fountains, toilets, and whatever puddles they can find outside. Mud is not a problem. Puddles are the #1 preferred source of course. They aren't generally interested in glasses. I've given up and just hope they get enough water.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6734 on: October 14, 2017, 11:53:54 PM »
Apparently my in-laws' cat was a special snowflake.

It would only drink from the ceramic bowl on the dining table, which also held floating candles.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6735 on: October 15, 2017, 12:11:26 AM »

It would only drink from the ceramic bowl on the dining table, which also held floating candles.

I'm surprised your in-laws hadn't broken the bowl - you've told me they've broken virtually everything in your place >_<

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6736 on: October 15, 2017, 12:13:24 AM »

I'm surprised your in-laws hadn't broken the bowl - you've told me they've broken virtually everything in your place >_<

It is an unfortunately long list! :D They're expensive guests...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6737 on: October 17, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »
Not facebook, but we don't have a YouTube thread.

This is one of the saddest frugal challenges ever. So much eating out!
https://youtu.be/wemkO8Aaj3U

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #6738 on: October 17, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »
Not facebook, but we don't have a YouTube thread.

This is one of the saddest frugal challenges ever. So much eating out!
https://youtu.be/wemkO8Aaj3U

Most of them learned something, the one guy that went over just seemed to totally not get it.  At the end he kind of said the words he thought he was supposed to say, but you could tell he didn't really buy it.  Exhibit A) Buying 30$ of canned tea?  what?  That Yerba Mate Guyaki tea comes as bags for like 5$ for 40 servings.  He really didn't get the point that he doesn't need stupid shit.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6739 on: October 19, 2017, 08:43:55 AM »

Hopefully they'll still be able to hang out with their friends. With so many crazy spenders out there, being frugal can be socially isolating.

Good for them!!!

Looked at the YT video. 8.3M subscribers. Then go looking for serious videos about making good financial choices and nobody's watching.... :)

Its like people might be thinking there is something to learn about frugality but they are just scratching the surface with the $50 challenge video.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:19:01 AM by Just Joe »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6740 on: October 19, 2017, 09:27:08 AM »

Wharrgarbl?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6741 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
This showed up today:

Link: https://www.facebook.com/jakelikesonions/photos/a.1979459829000876.1073741829.1704653189814876/1982867701993422/

#Choices

Argh. So, I know I'm not going to do this (the lifelong trap), but I have slid into this mode repeatedly during my MMM-ish time. I'm two months from the endpoint and my marriage sucks, and I'm pretty sure my failure to maintain a healthy balance and a clear, stress-free mindset are huge contributors.

It's hard to find the right level of commitment and output.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6742 on: October 19, 2017, 09:44:15 AM »
Argh. So, I know I'm not going to do this (the lifelong trap), but I have slid into this mode repeatedly during my MMM-ish time. I'm two months from the endpoint and my marriage sucks, and I'm pretty sure my failure to maintain a healthy balance and a clear, stress-free mindset are huge contributors.

It's hard to find the right level of commitment and output.
When in doubt, work less.  At least I try to tell myself that.  Sometimes I make the mistake of thinking "if I work all of the hours allotted in my contract, we can send wife to school, pay for everything, and still max out retirement to the tune of $60K every year (self employed)".  While that would be nice, reality is I am a horrible person when I work too much.  So the solution is to work less.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6743 on: October 19, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »

When in doubt, work less.  At least I try to tell myself that.  Sometimes I make the mistake of thinking "if I work all of the hours allotted in my contract, we can send wife to school, pay for everything, and still max out retirement to the tune of $60K every year (self employed)".  While that would be nice, reality is I am a horrible person when I work too much.  So the solution is to work less.

I'm pretty shitty too, but my side business has grown to consume all my free time and I'm still not quite in the cash position to quit FT. I feel stuck.
She is actually staying across town right now, that's how bad it is. And I'm so spun up about shit that I can't sleep even when I do get it all done.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6744 on: October 19, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »
That sucks zephyr - hope things turn around for you.

BJacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6745 on: October 19, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »
Someone on one of the Dave Ramsey groups I'm on is bragging about their 'dream house'. It's a 9,000 sq ft.

I mean they put down 50% down and have a 15 year loan; but 9,000 square feet?

Just the thought of keeping it clean . . .

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #6746 on: October 19, 2017, 01:22:46 PM »

I'm pretty shitty too, but my side business has grown to consume all my free time and I'm still not quite in the cash position to quit FT. I feel stuck.
She is actually staying across town right now, that's how bad it is. And I'm so spun up about shit that I can't sleep even when I do get it all done.

I second working less! Getting to the end faster isn't worth it if you don't get there with who you want to be with!!!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6747 on: October 19, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »
I keep thinking of the maintenance beyond keeping it clean.

I mean it could have a leaky roof for days or weeks and you might not never know about it until it was a big problem.

I dream about interior space but mostly empty space.

A HUGE garage for our cars (still mostly empty). Like 40x60 for cars plus the family bicycles.

A HUGE covered and screened in porch again mostly empty.

A small den to use daily but a HUGE den to entertain in - mostly couches and chairs and a big fireplace. Make it to function as a dining room too.

Everything would have ten feet of space or more to maneuver around the furniture or the cars or the porch.

Then reality pops back into focus and I don't want to pay for all that space. It would just be nice to never feel cramped or crowded.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6748 on: October 19, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
Someone on one of the Dave Ramsey groups I'm on is bragging about their 'dream house'. It's a 9,000 sq ft.

I don't care if you have a billion dollars and pay cash for it, that is muh-fuggin' retarded.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6749 on: October 19, 2017, 02:21:29 PM »

I don't care if you have a billion dollars and pay cash for it, that is muh-fuggin' retarded.

True story, I know someone that is insanely wealthy (not a billionaire but still insanely wealthy) and he owns a house that's bigger than 9k sf and he regrets the hell out of it. I've been in it, he has a waterfall that he doesn't use because it's maintenance is a pain and half the rooms would be covered in dust if he didn't have a maid service clean the house on a regular basis. He knows that he won't be able to sell it for anywhere near what he wants, and will still need to pay property taxes until he does end up dumping it.