Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082470 times)

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3000 on: September 07, 2015, 01:00:26 AM »
This thread is my morning humanity trainwreck.

Rosbif

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3001 on: September 08, 2015, 02:06:40 AM »
Well, saw this on FB, but it's imgur, so have an img link:

http://imgur.com/gallery/sOToCKy

As a European, I didn't know things like this existed outside of opencast mines.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3002 on: September 08, 2015, 03:30:45 AM »
That made me lol.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3003 on: September 08, 2015, 11:23:06 AM »
This wasn't on Facebook but relates to MLMs. I saw a news story about a poor little boy who now has brain damage because his family was falsely given the clear to enter their house after a termite treatment. Someone started a Go Fund Me to help with their medical bills. They've raised a staggering 40K in only a few days. I read the comments below and this one was appalling: "Sweetie, I am cash tapped but I have a product that I represent and that product is an anti-inflammatory, non GMO seed based nutrition food that was developed by pediatric Oncologists for their patients. Pls feel free to contact me regarding helping him heal. Best and prayers."

Only the lowest of humanity would use a Go Fund Me page for a brain damaged kid to peddle their MLM wares.

Here's the link if you want to see for yourself: http://www.gofundme.com/peytonsrecovery
Now with 40% more woo!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3004 on: September 08, 2015, 11:53:42 AM »
I like to believe that Ministry of Magic offices are located on the "missing" "skipped" 13th floor and that if I wasn't a muggle I would be able to find them...

(Harry Potter y'all.)

I can say with some certainty, non-muggles can in fact see 13th floors. But don't ask me to prove it.

lifeinhd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3005 on: September 10, 2015, 11:17:26 AM »
Well, saw this on FB, but it's imgur, so have an img link:

http://imgur.com/gallery/sOToCKy

As a European, I didn't know things like this existed outside of opencast mines.

That's what we here in 'Murica call a "family car." They're good for bringing the kids to school, or making trips to the shopping mall. THIS is a REAL truck: http://imgur.com/X0OxbZA

Note the freedom in the bed.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3006 on: September 10, 2015, 12:23:40 PM »
Someone that used to work for me recently purchased a custom Mercedes. Posted the first picture with about 20 hash tags including but not limited to #fullyloaded #65k #workedhardforyou #blessed #workhardpartylater #moneyteam #independentwoman #ididitonmyown #dadwillbeproudofme #bossbitch

And the kicker and final one #ihopeicanpaythisoffinfiveyears

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3007 on: September 10, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »
Someone that used to work for me recently purchased a custom Mercedes. Posted the first picture with about 20 hash tags including but not limited to #fullyloaded #65k #workedhardforyou #blessed #workhardpartylater #moneyteam #independentwoman #ididitonmyown #dadwillbeproudofme #bossbitch

Wow... #workedhardforyou and the similar hash tags really aren't accurate since it was financed. It should be #workinghardforyou or maybe #voluntaryslavery...

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3008 on: September 10, 2015, 11:28:04 PM »
THIS is a REAL truck: http://imgur.com/X0OxbZA  Note the freedom in the bed.

How would you even get into this truck?  Use a set of airplane stairs?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3009 on: September 11, 2015, 12:35:05 AM »
THIS is a REAL truck: http://imgur.com/X0OxbZA  Note the freedom in the bed.

How would you even get into this truck?  Use a set of airplane stairs?

Needs more freedom

Suncoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3010 on: September 11, 2015, 05:05:32 AM »
Just saw a series of two posts from a FB friend.  First post shows daughter has received her learner's permit.  Second post shows daughter standing beside what looks to be a brand new BMW convertible. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3011 on: September 11, 2015, 06:00:18 AM »
The U.S. is a State hoarder (50 states, way too many), time to declutter.    ;-)

I had no idea it had a different name than Denali.
I am finding I suck at US geography.
My friend posted on facebook that she was going to St Louis and I had to google what state it was in. Why do you guys have so many states? Seriously, we are good with 13 Provinces/Territories and Australia only has 6 states.

Hey, don't blame us that you guys cannot afford a real set of 50 states and have to make do with 6 or (shudder) unlucky 13...

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3012 on: September 11, 2015, 06:50:12 AM »
Just saw a series of two posts from a FB friend.  First post shows daughter has received her learner's permit.  Second post shows daughter standing beside what looks to be a brand new BMW convertible.
You're never too young to learn how to hotwire cars

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #3013 on: September 11, 2015, 11:51:14 PM »
This isn't anyone I know, I saw it on a community for sale page http://www.gofundme.com/f731vc
Basically it's a 20 and 21 yr old trying to raise money for their wedding

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3014 on: September 12, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »
This isn't anyone I know, I saw it on a community for sale page http://www.gofundme.com/f731vc

11 months and $0 raised...looks like God doesn't random people don't want to pay for their wedding after all. :P

I wonder if I started a gofundme/kickstarter page and promised a personalized postcard mailed to each person from every state/country I travel through, if anybody would pay for it. :D

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3015 on: September 12, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »

It doesn't look they advertised it, just created it and let it sit there. That said, if you are 21 years old and wanting to get married, I hope you have your life figured out.

But still, why the heck would you want to get married if you don't even have the resources to pay for your wedding?

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3016 on: September 12, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »

Yeah, there are tons of these types of Go Fund Me pages with very little or zero contributions. It's simultaneously fascinating and sad to read through the types of inane requests people are making. I'm going to sound like a jerk saying this, but I'm also tired of the all the funeral requests. That's better than asking someone to pay for your wedding, but it just underscores to me have close to the edge most families live. Pretty much every news article about someone dying now has a link to a Go Fund Me page set up by a friend or relative.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3017 on: September 12, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »
I'm guessing my acquaintance posted this more for humor than for real, but then another person commented:  "Ramen and sandwiches for the next two weeks."

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #3018 on: September 15, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »
I just found out via FB that a "friend" is expecting. I also found out that she has a baby registry with nearly 100 (mostly high-end, expensive) items. All this despite the fact that she had a baby just two years ago (same gender) and they live in a tiny condo (where are they putting this stuff?).

In all honesty it makes me feel better about the small baby registry I created (first child).

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #3019 on: September 15, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »

Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3020 on: September 16, 2015, 07:01:09 AM »

Long hash tags like that on Facebook are so obnoxious. Any FB hashtag is annoying, really, since they don't link up with anything. 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3021 on: September 16, 2015, 07:27:34 AM »

Long hash tags like that on Facebook are so obnoxious. Any FB hashtag is annoying, really, since they don't link up with anything.

Yeah, it's really annoying trying to crack the code on peoples stupidly long hashtags. Honestly, I just figure its a sign they don't really care enough for me to know what they mean so I don't bother usually reading them.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #3022 on: September 16, 2015, 09:24:11 AM »

I remember reading about them changing that a while back, and lo and behold...

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3023 on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »

Yeah, you can click on them, but they don't usually connect to an actual conversation. That was the point of hashtags on Twitter. In that sense, I don't really like the long manufactured hashtags on Twitter either, since they don't really serve a purpose there either. At least the amount they can do is limited by the character count on Twitter. I guess in some respects that's how people create real hashtags like #tbt, but most of the long hashtags I see are just dumb anyway. Put it in a sentence, why don't you? I'm just old, I guess. I see they are trying to be humorous but it's getting tiresome.

Some people are really good at creating humorous hashtags. Most people aren't.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3024 on: September 16, 2015, 09:55:09 AM »

Yeah, you can click on them, but they don't usually connect to an actual conversation. That was the point of hashtags on Twitter. In that sense, I don't really like the long manufactured hashtags on Twitter either, since they don't really serve a purpose there either. At least the amount they can do is limited by the character count on Twitter. I guess in some respects that's how people create real hashtags like #tbt, but most of the long hashtags I see are just dumb anyway. Put it in a sentence, why don't you? I'm just old, I guess. I see they are trying to be humorous but it's getting tiresome.

#hastag being the best one to use.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #3025 on: September 16, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »

I don't use Twitter, so I usually don't see an overuse of hashtags; however, I still see curious use of it on Facebook. Outside of some humorous purposes, what's the point of creating a one-time single-use hashtag? It defeats the purpose of hashtags.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3026 on: September 16, 2015, 10:14:56 AM »

I don't use Twitter, so I usually don't see an overuse of hashtags; however, I still see curious use of it on Facebook. Outside of some humorous purposes, what's the point of creating a one-time single-use hashtag? It defeats the purpose of hashtags.

#trendy #imaspecialsnowflake

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3027 on: September 16, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »

Not too special of a snowflake, as there are a ton of them...
https://twitter.com/hashtag/imaspecialsnowflake?lang=en

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3028 on: September 16, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »

#burned #foam

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3029 on: September 16, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »

#burned #foam
#iliterallycannoteven

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3030 on: September 16, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »

#burned #foam
#iliterallycannoteven
#pumpkinspicefoam

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3031 on: September 16, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »

#burned #foam
#iliterallycannoteven
#pumpkinspicefoam
#hashtag

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3032 on: September 16, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »

#burned #foam
#iliterallycannoteven
#pumpkinspicefoam
#hashtag
#istheboxblackororange

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3033 on: September 17, 2015, 04:08:39 PM »
Friend just posted this article on Facebook with the caption, "I'm doing it right!" http://elitedaily.com/life/savings-20s-something-wrong/1214445/

I kept waiting for the punchline, but it never came.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3034 on: September 17, 2015, 06:32:33 PM »
Friend just posted this article on Facebook with the caption, "I'm doing it right!" http://elitedaily.com/life/savings-20s-something-wrong/1214445/

OMG!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #3035 on: September 17, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »

IDK - some fair points to consider.  I get the feeling some people obsessed with optimizing savings may fail to look for opportunities to increase income.  Maybe networking in the evenings will bring opportunity - I'm a little skeptical of taxiing to a club, however.

And you should question some of the advice your parents give you.  But it shouldn't all be thrown out - but she's in her twenties and making bold (to her) statements!  That's what twenty year olds do!

Of course, she's making the mistake of assuming savings = life-denied, whereas we all understand that savings = freedom. 

In any case, when she's 40, she'll be able to pull up this article and wish she could go back in time and punch herself in the face.  So, that's cool.

bagap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3036 on: September 17, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »

Never understood the use of the term/# blessed in relation to material things.  Unless that expensive house or car or designer bag or whatever the fuck it is you are bragging about FELL OUT OF THE SKY, how does being "blessed" have anything to do with it?  I mean, I get what they are implying (if I wasn't such an awesome child of the lord this would not have happened) but REALLY???

Ugh.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3037 on: September 17, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »
Took a browse through the Facebook Buy/Sell Page, the hands down stupid purchase winner is a lady selling a 21.5' 2013 Fancy-Something Ski Boat hoping someone will take over payments. 
Here are the stats: 
Amount Owing on Loan: $51,XXX
Monthly Payments left: 203  (17 F#$KING YEARS!!??)
Monthly Payment Amount:  $417

So buying this $50K boat means spending $85k over the next 17 years and ending up with a worn out 19 year old hole in the water, or simply pocket the $417 a month at 7% and get $160,000 richer in 17 years.  And thats before any maintenance costs or the need to have a tow vehicle.  Why do people only look at the monthly payment and think "Yep, I can totally afford that!"

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #3038 on: September 18, 2015, 04:53:12 AM »
Took a browse through the Facebook Buy/Sell Page, the hands down stupid purchase winner is a lady selling a 21.5' 2013 Fancy-Something Ski Boat hoping someone will take over payments. 
Here are the stats: 
Amount Owing on Loan: $51,XXX
Monthly Payments left: 203  (17 F#$KING YEARS!!??)
Monthly Payment Amount:  $417

So buying this $50K boat means spending $85k over the next 17 years and ending up with a worn out 19 year old hole in the water, or simply pocket the $417 a month at 7% and get $160,000 richer in 17 years.  And thats before any maintenance costs or the need to have a tow vehicle.  Why do people only look at the monthly payment and think "Yep, I can totally afford that!"

Completely the wrong way to own a boat. I grew up in western Michigan, and when I was about 6 or 7 my Dad bought a boat. It holds seven people, you can tube and waterski behind it, he tows it with his car (not truck), now fishes off it in Lake Michigan w/down riggers (hacked a removable platform), and keeps it stored in the driveway - brushing the snow off the cover in the winter. To pay for it we skipped vacations for a couple of years. 20+ years later he still says it was one of the best purchases he ever made. We went out on it almost every weekend we were with him. And he went waterskiing with his friends when my sister and I were at our Mom's place. The grandkids are finally getting big enough to go out on it. And since he's getting bored of fishing, he'll probably give it to my sister soon. She still lives in MI.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3039 on: September 18, 2015, 08:11:07 AM »

OMG!

wow. such garbage. what a dummy.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3040 on: September 18, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »

cai, I have a mission for you -- please post, in direct response to your friend's post, the link to the following rebuttal article:

Nice response to the article:

http://gawker.com/a-young-person-wrote-a-dumbass-article-with-bad-money-a-1731471536?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=thursdayPM

If you choose to accept this mission, please report back on what your friend says!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3041 on: September 18, 2015, 08:46:44 AM »

Never understood the use of the term/# blessed in relation to material things.  Unless that expensive house or car or designer bag or whatever the fuck it is you are bragging about FELL OUT OF THE SKY, how does being "blessed" have anything to do with it?  I mean, I get what they are implying (if I wasn't such an awesome child of the lord this would not have happened) but REALLY???

Ugh.

I choose to take it as a synonym for lucky, as otherwise I would rage-unfriend everyone and have nothing to contribute to this thread. As in, "Aren't we all blessed/lucky to live in a developed country with guaranteed access to clean water, sufficient food and education? Isn't anything over and above that an amazing blessing?"

Semi-on-topic: A friend (who bikes/buses to work) shared that there's a new gourmet donut shop in his office building. In response to someone complaining about how expensive it is, he replied that for the cost of commuting and parking in that building, you could buy 16 fancy donuts. EVERY DAY. And got glares from those who didn't like having their car clown habits compared to a 16-a-day donut habit.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3042 on: September 18, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »

#burned #foam
#iliterallycannoteven
#pumpkinspicefoam
#hashtag
#istheboxblackororange
#fullcircle

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3043 on: September 18, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »
Yeah, there are tons of these types of Go Fund Me pages with very little or zero contributions. It's simultaneously fascinating and sad to read through the types of inane requests people are making.

I quit our local Freecycle list because of these requests became too frequent. Not everyone was doing it - but the idea that people would join up just to ask for what I deem luxury items was insane.

Requests for name brand items or goofy specifics like brand and size of tires to fit custom wheels. What happened to driving a basic grocery getter car when a person is too poor for sporty or custom vehicles?

Maybe the Internet has delivered too much charity to folks and they have come to expect it rather than making MMM choices so they can have nicer things later.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3044 on: September 18, 2015, 09:12:45 AM »
Yeah, there are tons of these types of Go Fund Me pages with very little or zero contributions. It's simultaneously fascinating and sad to read through the types of inane requests people are making.

I quit our local Freecycle list because of these requests became too frequent. Not everyone was doing it - but the idea that people would join up just to ask for what I deem luxury items was insane.

Requests for name brand items or goofy specifics like brand and size of tires to fit custom wheels. What happened to driving a basic grocery getter car when a person is too poor for sporty or custom vehicles?

Maybe the Internet has delivered too much charity to folks and they have come to expect it rather than making MMM choices so they can have nicer things later.

I suspect they heard about people like that homophobic pizza place in Indiana or that guy that wanted to make a potato salad making bank and decided to jump in.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #3045 on: September 18, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »
Someone posted a request for advice on a new phone because they were eligible for an upgrade. Not because their phone was broken, or because they didn't like their current platform. Because they were 'eligible.' All of the comments were about the new fancy apple and android products. My comment of "keep your money, and keep your phone" was completely ignored.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3046 on: September 18, 2015, 10:21:05 AM »

Searching for roommates on Craigslist is kinda like that. So many "Please help!" postings...it's absurd. No, I'm not going to give you a bedroom in exchange for housework.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #3047 on: September 18, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »

IDK - some fair points to consider.  I get the feeling some people obsessed with optimizing savings may fail to look for opportunities to increase income.  Maybe networking in the evenings will bring opportunity - I'm a little skeptical of taxiing to a club, however.

And you should question some of the advice your parents give you.  But it shouldn't all be thrown out - but she's in her twenties and making bold (to her) statements!  That's what twenty year olds do!

Of course, she's making the mistake of assuming savings = life-denied, whereas we all understand that savings = freedom. 

In any case, when she's 40, she'll be able to pull up this article and wish she could go back in time and punch herself in the face.  So, that's cool.

Agreed that there is some sanity hidden in this, but why does it have to be completely one way or the other? 

Why can't I try to make more money AND save some of what I'm making now.  That seems like a way to be making 200k a year and have no idea where it is all going.

I'm 25, and I have taken a cab when I needed to(twice this year?), I have bought clothes I didn't need(half dozen items?), Gone to nights out at the bar(one drink limit). 

Do what you want, don't pretend you are owed EVERYTHING you want though.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3048 on: September 18, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »

There's nothing more painful than watching someone so wrong act so arrogant and self-assured.
She is either going to have a very painful wake-up call, or she WON'T have a wake-up call, but wonder why she can never get ahead.

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #3049 on: September 18, 2015, 11:22:03 AM »
Someone posted a request for advice on a new phone because they were eligible for an upgrade. Not because their phone was broken, or because they didn't like their current platform. Because they were 'eligible.' All of the comments were about the new fancy apple and android products. My comment of "keep your money, and keep your phone" was completely ignored.

Perhaps (like me and others here) their phone is paid for by their employer so they wouldn't personally be saving any money.  I'm eligible for an upgrade and have looked a bit at phones, but haven't seen one that I think I'd like significantly more than the one I still have...