Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082150 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #7700 on: October 11, 2018, 06:08:13 AM »
Yay, this is encouraging! My Nexus 5 is slowing down and isn’t going to get security updates after next month (important because I occasionally deal with client emails/info and some financial stuff). We use Project Fi and are planning to buy new Moto G6 phones for Christmas (cheapest compatible phones). Glad to know that they’re a good value.

I didn't know this about the end of security updates.  My Nexus 5 is definitely showing its age recently with degraded performance, but I'm not ready to give it up yet.  Now I think I'll need to.
FWIW,  a lot of phones have aftermarket support after the manufacturer EOLs them. If you're feeling adventurous and are very good at precisely following instructions, you can install an up -to-date version of Android on older phones.

I’m not sure I’m up for it—I’m not tech-savvy/adventurous and need the phone to work with no issues. Husband, OTOH, loves to tinker with gadgets: builds his own computers, has no qualms about pulling apart an appliance for repairs after watching a YouTube video. He may have fun with this. Thanks for the suggestion. These were our first Android phones, so we’re still learning.
The Nexus 5 is one of the best-supported phones in the aftermarket world.  instructions

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7701 on: October 11, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »
Yay, this is encouraging! My Nexus 5 is slowing down and isn’t going to get security updates after next month (important because I occasionally deal with client emails/info and some financial stuff). We use Project Fi and are planning to buy new Moto G6 phones for Christmas (cheapest compatible phones). Glad to know that they’re a good value.

I didn't know this about the end of security updates.  My Nexus 5 is definitely showing its age recently with degraded performance, but I'm not ready to give it up yet.  Now I think I'll need to.
FWIW,  a lot of phones have aftermarket support after the manufacturer EOLs them. If you're feeling adventurous and are very good at precisely following instructions, you can install an up -to-date version of Android on older phones.

I’m not sure I’m up for it—I’m not tech-savvy/adventurous and need the phone to work with no issues. Husband, OTOH, loves to tinker with gadgets: builds his own computers, has no qualms about pulling apart an appliance for repairs after watching a YouTube video. He may have fun with this. Thanks for the suggestion. These were our first Android phones, so we’re still learning.
The Nexus 5 is one of the best-supported phones in the aftermarket world.  instructions

Thanks! Everything on that page is a foreign language to me, but I think I’ll pass it to Husband and let him have fun with it. If he can get his phone up and running, maybe I’ll let him take a crack at mine. As long as it doesn’t affect the Project Fi service, we’d be fine with it. (And as long as it doesn’t send the phones into bootloop; both our phones are replacements from Google after the original ones bootlooped.)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7702 on: October 11, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »
I mean, is meal planning really that hard?

Spoiler: show

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7703 on: October 11, 2018, 02:03:31 PM »

I saw this! I don't understand why you wouldn't just end up back in the grocery store instead of the drive-thru???

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7704 on: October 11, 2018, 02:27:24 PM »
She replied and tells me she needs an apple or galaxy only.

The S&P 500 thanks her for this moment of consumerism.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7705 on: October 12, 2018, 04:42:59 AM »
A friend posted "My phone is dying and I desperately need a new one- anyone have something to sell? I'll pay."

Lots of people posting used Iphones for around $400.

I said "I got my Moto at Walmart for $50 new. It doesn't have an internal compass but otherwise works identically to the expensive phones I've had."

I splurged on a Moto G6 Forge ($79) at Best Buy last month. My older $40 phone's speakers were shot.

I saw my coworker counting $100 bills on his desk and asked, "Rent money?". To which he replied, "Nah, I'm  buying an Apple X from Craiglist."

I counted $700.
WTF????

Ooh the G6 Forge looks nice. I have the G4 Play. It's great. It's 2 years old now and still doing fine.  I assume you get 2 years out of a phone, and I'd certainly rather get it out of a sub $100 phone than a $500+ one.

The G6 has been great. My old phone was a Coolpad Canvas that I bought for $39. It lasted me about a year but I did drop it a bunch of times, so I'm not terribly angry at it. Problem was the speaker went out on it so I couldn't hear when I got any type of communication, so it had to go.

Previous to that I had a HTC for about 3 years. I plan on keeping this one for at least two.

I'm going to have to look into these options.  I think my refurbed second-hand Galaxy is about to give up the ghost.  I usually go for a used two gen old Galaxy from Glyde, but have heard good things about the Motos.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7706 on: October 12, 2018, 06:53:54 AM »

I saw this! I don't understand why you wouldn't just end up back in the grocery store instead of the drive-thru???

I don't really meal plan and probably buy what may seem like a random assortment of foods to some* and I still don't understand how people can buy so many groceries yet end up with so little food, but apparently it's not uncommon. There's a British show I like to watch called "Eat Well for Less" that tackles this type of problem and I find it very entertaining.

*This is what I do because I tend to buy whatever's cheap or delicious, and figure out what to make with them later - which I find very easy to do, you'd be surprised at how many things can go together. As long as I've got stuff lying around there's usually something I can make with them. For example my dinner tonight was gochujang kimchi pasta, something that could conceivably be seen on the menu of a cute fusion cafe. People just need to cook more so they develop good intuition about which flavours might go together, so they can then feel confident about mixing and matching in order to use up their haphazard groceries.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7707 on: October 12, 2018, 08:22:25 AM »

I don't really meal plan and probably buy what may seem like a random assortment of foods to some* and I still don't understand how people can buy so many groceries yet end up with so little food, but apparently it's not uncommon. There's a British show I like to watch called "Eat Well for Less" that tackles this type of problem and I find it very entertaining.

*This is what I do because I tend to buy whatever's cheap or delicious, and figure out what to make with them later - which I find very easy to do, you'd be surprised at how many things can go together. As long as I've got stuff lying around there's usually something I can make with them. For example my dinner tonight was gochujang kimchi pasta, something that could conceivably be seen on the menu of a cute fusion cafe. People just need to cook more so they develop good intuition about which flavours might go together, so they can then feel confident about mixing and matching in order to use up their haphazard groceries.

I'm going to look up that show, it sounds like good low-key watching.

And with fairly decent cooking skills, throwing together meals becomes something you don't need a recipe for, and you alter based on what's on hand. A decently stocked pantry helps, obviously, but (random example from this week), 'oh, I need dill for this sauce I was going to make to put on tuna cakes but fresh dill is 3$' isn't an invitation to shrug and spend 3$, it's an invitation to say 'guess that sauce is going to be closer to tzatziki' and add some dried mint and oregano and not spend. But if you don't have a fairly broad kitchen knowledge, it's hard.

Following your recommendations on cooking and learning, there's a book called Salt Fat Acid Heat that breaks down the component seasonings of dishes and cooking techniques in a really smart way, and has these fantastic charts of different base flavors and techniques depending on culture (I learned to cook from my mom, for example, which was all traditional French food, so I start everything with onions/garlic/carrots/celery, and then reach for thyme and bay leaves instinctively. Someone with a background in Chinese food would reach for garlic/ginger/chili and wouldn't even think of thyme or celery as an option) - I found it broke down component pieces in a way I had instinctively grasped but not actually understood, and that in turn made it easier to switch flavor profiles with the same ingredients. Skill acquisition!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7708 on: October 12, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »

And with fairly decent cooking skills, throwing together meals becomes something you don't need a recipe for, and you alter based on what's on hand. A decently stocked pantry helps, obviously, but (random example from this week), 'oh, I need dill for this sauce I was going to make to put on tuna cakes but fresh dill is 3$' isn't an invitation to shrug and spend 3$, it's an invitation to say 'guess that sauce is going to be closer to tzatziki' and add some dried mint and oregano and not spend. But if you don't have a fairly broad kitchen knowledge, it's hard.

Following your recommendations on cooking and learning, there's a book called Salt Fat Acid Heat that breaks down the component seasonings of dishes and cooking techniques in a really smart way, and has these fantastic charts of different base flavors and techniques depending on culture (I learned to cook from my mom, for example, which was all traditional French food, so I start everything with onions/garlic/carrots/celery, and then reach for thyme and bay leaves instinctively. Someone with a background in Chinese food would reach for garlic/ginger/chili and wouldn't even think of thyme or celery as an option) - I found it broke down component pieces in a way I had instinctively grasped but not actually understood, and that in turn made it easier to switch flavor profiles with the same ingredients. Skill acquisition!

There's a new show on Netflix titled "Salt Fat Acid Heat." I'm guessing it's related and probably worth watching.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7709 on: October 12, 2018, 10:15:58 AM »

I do meal plan, but I try to do so that I'm using the same things for several meals.  I use an app that organizes my recipes and generates a shopping list based on what meals I have planned for that week or two.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #7710 on: October 12, 2018, 11:36:48 AM »

I like to think that all the episodes of Chopped have paid off in learning how to create a meal from basically any assortment of ingredients.  (Or it could be a justifcation for watching tv...) My grocery lists tend to be whatever meats and produce are on sale, and then meals are created from those.  Recipes are more like guidelines once you have a basic understanding of what is going on with flavors and ingredients. Most of the time it comes out good to great. Every now and again its just ok, but rarely is it inedible to the point of take-out.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7711 on: October 12, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »
A friend posted "My phone is dying and I desperately need a new one- anyone have something to sell? I'll pay."

I said "I got my Moto at Walmart for $50 new. It doesn't have an internal compass but otherwise works identically to the expensive phones I've had."

I splurged on a Moto G6 Forge ($79) at Best Buy last month. My older $40 phone's speakers were shot.

I saw my coworker counting $100 bills on his desk and asked, "Rent money?". To which he replied, "Nah, I'm  buying an Apple X from Craiglist."

I counted $700.
WTF????

What I really would like to know is why someone is selling an almost new 1,000 phone on craigslist for $700? Is it:
1) the phone is stolen
2) they bought it when they couldn't really afford it and now need the money to pay for something like...food, electricity, rent.
3) they are an employee of Apple or a phone company that gives them a crazy discount and they are flipping it for more than they paid - I hope it's this one.

A friend of mine's father worked for Sprint and used to get iphones for $100-150 under the employee purchase plan, she'd have them unlocked and flip them for much more when she traveled to central Asia where her husband's family lives.

They also sold some GoPros and other spendy electronics not readily available and crazy spendy where his family lives. They'd buy them in the US at Target when they were doing something like offering a $50 gift card with purchase (usually a black Friday deal), take them along and while they were visiting her husband would sell them easily on their equivalent of Craigslist for at least what they paid or slightly more and they'd pocket the gift card. If it didn't sell, they could always return them when they came back but they always sold it so far as I know.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7712 on: October 12, 2018, 02:50:58 PM »

I counted $700.
WTF????

What I really would like to know is why someone is selling an almost new 1,000 phone on craigslist for $700? Is it:
1) the phone is stolen
2) they bought it when they couldn't really afford it and now need the money to pay for something like...food, electricity, rent.
3) they are an employee of Apple or a phone company that gives them a crazy discount and they are flipping it for more than they paid - I hope it's this one.
The iPhone X is now a year old, and for some that is enough to swap it for the most recent version.

I also saw a lot of ads years ago for sealed new phones because the owner renewed his subscription and got a "free phone" along with it. Appearently they did not figure that 90% of the subscription cost was for the phone. Some even though they could get the actual new value as it was listed on the Apple/Samsung site.

For myself, I generally buy a year old model (Nexus/Pixel)rather than the newest available. Still gets updates for a while but not the enormous cost. DW doesn't like it but all my previous phones remain in the family as hand-me-downs and we've never had a defective one which means I have 6 years worth of phones running in our family (and my SIL) :D

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #7713 on: October 13, 2018, 07:16:59 AM »
Not overheard on facebook, but on whatsapp. The richer branch of my wife's family was discussing going to Orlando and staying on rented houses, ups and downs and previous experiences. One cousin mentioned that she hired a maid once every two days when she went there. "why?" everybody asked, since stuff doesn't really get dirty that fast. Because she thought OPERATING the dishwasher was an annoying task...

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7714 on: October 13, 2018, 09:56:38 AM »

I counted $700.
WTF????

1) the phone is stolen
The iPhone X is now a year old, and for some that is enough to swap it for the most recent version.

I also saw a lot of ads years ago for sealed new phones because the owner renewed his subscription and got a "free phone" along with it. Appearently they did not figure that 90% of the subscription cost was for the phone. Some even though they could get the actual new value as it was listed on the Apple/Samsung site.

For myself, I generally buy a year old model (Nexus/Pixel)rather than the newest available. Still gets updates for a while but not the enormous cost. DW doesn't like it but all my previous phones remain in the family as hand-me-downs and we've never had a defective one which means I have 6 years worth of phones running in our family (and my SIL) :D

There's a new version? Isn't X the latest one? Is there like x+ now?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:02:36 AM by Megma »

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7715 on: October 13, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »
In case you'd like to spend $2,500 on a life sized pirate, this is for sale in our local Facebook swap group. All of the comments so far are about how ridiculous the price is.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:01:06 AM by Megma »

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7716 on: October 13, 2018, 02:12:43 PM »

I counted $700.
WTF????

1) the phone is stolen

There's a new version? Isn't X the latest one? Is there like x+ now?
XS and XS max are the newer model, if I recall correctly. Basically the.same.phone but with world-shocking improvements like dual sim capability and no free charger included :P

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7717 on: October 13, 2018, 05:54:16 PM »
XS and XS max are the newer model, if I recall correctly. Basically the.same.phone but with world-shocking improvements like dual sim capability and no free charger included :P
Yes, it comes with a charger (and dual SIM, better water resistance, next gen processor, etc.)  Seriously, where do people come up with this stuff?

Historically, the "S" version is never a big change.  They discontinued the X and now have the Xs with some improvements for the same price as the X last year.  If people want to fall all over themselves for it, so be it.  If you're an investor in index funds, you've got Apple stock, so enjoy.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7718 on: October 13, 2018, 07:19:09 PM »

Salt Fat Acid Heat seems interesting, the concept seems to me like kinda the reverse of Ruhlman's Ratio, which talks about basic main ingredient components that make up certain things, then leaves it up to you to play with the flavours.

I like to think that all the episodes of Chopped have paid off in learning how to create a meal from basically any assortment of ingredients.  (Or it could be a justifcation for watching tv...) My grocery lists tend to be whatever meats and produce are on sale, and then meals are created from those.  Recipes are more like guidelines once you have a basic understanding of what is going on with flavors and ingredients. Most of the time it comes out good to great. Every now and again its just ok, but rarely is it inedible to the point of take-out.

Chopped is a fun show! Sounds like we have similar shopping and cooking habits. :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7719 on: October 19, 2018, 07:07:31 AM »
A friend posted something to FB along the lines of 'my bank is offering me a line of credit with these fees, looks ok, anything I should watch out for' and the comments are EXPLODING in a horror show of 50something-year-olds who lack basic financial literacy.

Highlights include:
- 'never get credit, if you have money you'll spend it all!!!!!' (... knowing this guy and his finances pretty well? Untrue, and kind of insulting)
- The slightly less incendiary 'available money always gets spent' (for YOU, but ok, congrats for knowing your pitfalls I guess)
- 'If they offer you that it'll cost money regardless there are always fees!!' (he asked about those, the fees are upfront, read the paperwork...)
- 'credit is nonsense I've never used it and I'm doing fine!' (dude, you're still living with your parents. Try getting a mortgage with no credit, lemme know how that goes... oh, wait, guess you figured out a way around that one...)
- 'governments should regulate this!!' (... it is regulated??)

THIS, y'all. This is why I support financial education classes in schools. These are people old enough to parent today's teenagers/20-year-olds. THIS is the financial education the next generation is getting at home, god help us all.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7720 on: October 19, 2018, 07:22:47 AM »
It's funny that you mention that.  I found a series of cartoons last night on Youtube that is supposed to teach financial literacy to kids.  I think it's Malaysian because they refer to the ringet instead of the dollar.  My kid seemed to like it and it seems to have solid lessons on how money works. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7721 on: October 19, 2018, 07:49:03 AM »
A friend posted something to FB along the lines of 'my bank is offering me a line of credit with these fees, looks ok, anything I should watch out for' and the comments are EXPLODING in a horror show of 50something-year-olds who lack basic financial literacy.

Highlights include:
- 'never get credit, if you have money you'll spend it all!!!!!' (... knowing this guy and his finances pretty well? Untrue, and kind of insulting)
- The slightly less incendiary 'available money always gets spent' (for YOU, but ok, congrats for knowing your pitfalls I guess)
- 'If they offer you that it'll cost money regardless there are always fees!!' (he asked about those, the fees are upfront, read the paperwork...)
- 'credit is nonsense I've never used it and I'm doing fine!' (dude, you're still living with your parents. Try getting a mortgage with no credit, lemme know how that goes... oh, wait, guess you figured out a way around that one...)
- 'governments should regulate this!!' (... it is regulated??)

THIS, y'all. This is why I support financial education classes in schools. These are people old enough to parent today's teenagers/20-year-olds. THIS is the financial education the next generation is getting at home, god help us all.

I don't think it's a schooling issue. I'm a thirty-something, and I was taught the prevailing "rules" for financial success in high school: how to balance a checkbook, save 10% of what you earn, buy stocks low and sell high.

I actually have A LOT of sympathy for Boomers as a whole regarding financial literacy. The prevailing rules that held when they were young, what would have worked for their parents, are not at all true today. Get a good job and stay for the pension. A college degree opens up better jobs, no matter what you major in. Manufacturing is steady work. Don't worry too much about healthcare and college costs, because those aren't large expenses.

These are the things that worked for my grandparents, so it's what they taught their children, my parents. But as the world changed in the 70s and 80s, my parents had to learn how to navigate this new world on their own. Their parents couldn't help them. They were in a worse spot than Xers or Millennials because at least those generations knew to expect a changing financial landscape.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7722 on: October 19, 2018, 08:03:14 AM »

Galaxy J7 --done :)  It is a little more expensive than your Moto, but much cheaper than any recent Galaxy S# model, and it's exactly the same Samsung interface.

Of course, I suspect if you suggest that, she'll move the goal-posts again and say iPhone only...

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #7723 on: October 19, 2018, 08:13:57 AM »
Yes, it comes with a charger (and dual SIM, better water resistance, next gen processor, etc.)  Seriously, where do people come up with this stuff?
I think people come up with this stuff because it's in and hip and trendy to talk smack about Apple these days. People need to make themselves feel better, and to reinforce their decisions they grab on to every bit of bad news without ever questioning it. I forgot what this phenomenon is called but there's a psychological explanation for it. It could also be an adult version of the telephone game. In this particular instance it's possible that somebody heard or read somewhere that the "Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter" was no longer included (which is true), and because they had no idea what a "Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter" was they simply interpreted that as charger and started spreading the news in order to make themselves feel better because their just-as-expensive Galaxy Note came with a charger.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7724 on: October 19, 2018, 08:31:14 AM »

Galaxy J7 --done :)  It is a little more expensive than your Moto, but much cheaper than any recent Galaxy S# model, and it's exactly the same Samsung interface.

Of course, I suspect if you suggest that, she'll move the goal-posts again and say iPhone only...

You like the J7?  I suspect I'm going to have to have a new one sooner rather than later.  It's starting to give off an inordinate amount of heat and the battery isn't holding a charge nearly as long as it should.  I was thinking about replacing it with another refurbed two or three generation old Galaxy S when the time comes.  There's an S6 Active for ~$100 that I've been looking at. 

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7725 on: October 19, 2018, 08:32:24 AM »
I think people come up with this stuff because it's in and hip and trendy to talk smack about Apple these days. People need to make themselves feel better, and to reinforce their decisions they grab on to every bit of bad news without ever questioning it. I forgot what this phenomenon is called but there's a psychological explanation for it. It could also be an adult version of the telephone game. In this particular instance it's possible that somebody heard or read somewhere that the "Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter" was no longer included (which is true), and because they had no idea what a "Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter" was they simply interpreted that as charger and started spreading the news in order to make themselves feel better because their just-as-expensive Galaxy Note came with a charger.

Oh, and I bet you're a big fan of Nickelback too, aren't you? :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7726 on: October 19, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
I think people come up with this stuff because it's in and hip and trendy to talk smack about Apple these days. People need to make themselves feel better, and to reinforce their decisions they grab on to every bit of bad news without ever questioning it. I forgot what this phenomenon is called but there's a psychological explanation for it.
As I understand it, it's a combination of confirmation bias and bandwagon effect.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7727 on: October 19, 2018, 02:17:10 PM »
Just read a linked blog article about an author's No Spend August.

The #1 item in the rules was "One starbucks per day". That was an absolute given, but to sacrifice, she couldn't get two a day.

I feel like my idea of no spend is a bit different from hers.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7728 on: October 19, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »

The #1 item in the rules was "One starbucks per day". That was an absolute given, but to sacrifice, she couldn't get two a day.

LOL, no spend except for spending every single day.

It seems to me like if you're doing a no spend challenge, you should have a lot of days with zero financial transactions. Not 100% since you still need food and stuff, but quite a lot.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7729 on: October 19, 2018, 02:35:50 PM »

LOL, no spend except for spending every single day.

It seems to me like if you're doing a no spend challenge, you should have a lot of days with zero financial transactions. Not 100% since you still need food and stuff, but quite a lot.

Haha. No spend*

*except for all the spending

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7730 on: October 19, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »

Haha, woow.  I'm going to quit smoking, but still smoke only one pack a day.  I'm going to quit cocaine but only do it once a day.  I'm giving up sweets except for cakes and cookies.  Come on.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #7731 on: October 19, 2018, 03:10:09 PM »
It's starting to give off an inordinate amount of heat and the battery isn't holding a charge nearly as long as it should.
These two issues are most likely related. My guess is that there's a background process running amok and wreaking havoc on your battery. The more computing resources a process requires the hotter the chips run and the more energy they consume. First thing I would try is restarting my phone. If that doesn't help, have you tried resetting it (aka factory default)? Of course it would be helpful to have a backup so you can restore all your data after resetting your phone.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7732 on: October 19, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
It's starting to give off an inordinate amount of heat and the battery isn't holding a charge nearly as long as it should.
These two issues are most likely related. My guess is that there's a background process running amok and wreaking havoc on your battery. The more computing resources a process requires the hotter the chips run and the more energy they consume. First thing I would try is restarting my phone. If that doesn't help, have you tried resetting it (aka factory default)? Of course it would be helpful to have a backup so you can restore all your data after resetting your phone.

It has been restarting itself once it gets to about 20% battery, so I'm not sure that's helping.  I've got a spare memory card around here somewhere.  Once I find it and back up studf I'm going to try a factory reset.  I really want to eek out at least another 6 months out of this one.  It's a used Galaxy S5 mini that I've only had for about 2 years.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7733 on: October 19, 2018, 05:23:50 PM »
Not on Facebook, but face to face, with new roommate:

55 years old, developed health issues, so had to sell her house and move in with relatives for support.  Okay, I can understand that.  But it didn't go well, so moved out of that city to come live near her adult son, but couldn't stay with him as he had too many stairs in his house.  I get that too.  So rented a room in my house (total stranger).  Put all her stuff in old city in storage - don't know monthly price, but assume about $200/month.  Gets here and has no job, but looking to work part-time from home doing computer work,  Has to go on social assistance until she can find something.  What?  Didn't you just sell a house?  Yes, but a low-value one.  Okay, but you spent all the equity in a year, while hardly being able to leave the house (thinking this, didn't ask).  Finds a job at minimum wage, last a few days, can't do it, so back on social assistance.  Reports to me that she told the worker she doesn't know how she can make it work on such low pay (about $11.00/hour) because she had been making no less than $100K a year for THE LAST 15 YEARS!  Holy crap, I think, what did you do with it all?  Didn't ask, none of my business.  Then I watch her habits - buys paper plates and uses 3 a day, eats supper out at least once a week, uses toilet paper like it's going out of style (it used to take me at least 2 weeks to go through 1 double roll, now it's one every 3 days), leaves the lights on in her room when she goes out for the evening, fills the bathtub more that half-way for a 2 minute bath, on her fourth toothpaste tube in 3 months, throwing it out when there's  a good 3 days worth left, drives to another town 20 minutes away to buy chicken because it's organic, eats all organic food, paying $8.00 for 4 hamburger patties and buys dog toys and treats that she clearly cannot afford.  Finally gets 2 part-time jobs that seem like they'll work out, but has to get an advance from one of them because she has no appropriate clothes, only athletic wear.  WTF?  At one point she says that she was having a hard time finding a room to rent and thought she might have to buy a condo in order to move here.  WITH WHAT?  You can't even afford work clothes!  How anyone can live like this is beyond me.  I expect she'll be working until she can't, because SS/OAS sure don't pay much.  The more I see of her, the more I love myself for making all the right, although sometimes hard, decisions that have left me sitting very pretty in comparison.  HOW can people be so dumb, even when they're smart?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7734 on: October 19, 2018, 07:00:46 PM »

55 years old, developed health issues, so had to sell her house and move in with relatives for support.  Okay, I can understand that.  But it didn't go well, so moved out of that city to come live near her adult son, but couldn't stay with him as he had too many stairs in his house.  I get that too.  So rented a room in my house (total stranger).  Put all her stuff in old city in storage - don't know monthly price, but assume about $200/month.  Gets here and has no job, but looking to work part-time from home doing computer work,  Has to go on social assistance until she can find something.  What?  Didn't you just sell a house?  Yes, but a low-value one.  Okay, but you spent all the equity in a year, while hardly being able to leave the house (thinking this, didn't ask).  Finds a job at minimum wage, last a few days, can't do it, so back on social assistance.  Reports to me that she told the worker she doesn't know how she can make it work on such low pay (about $11.00/hour) because she had been making no less than $100K a year for THE LAST 15 YEARS!  Holy crap, I think, what did you do with it all?  Didn't ask, none of my business.  Then I watch her habits - buys paper plates and uses 3 a day, eats supper out at least once a week, uses toilet paper like it's going out of style (it used to take me at least 2 weeks to go through 1 double roll, now it's one every 3 days), leaves the lights on in her room when she goes out for the evening, fills the bathtub more that half-way for a 2 minute bath, on her fourth toothpaste tube in 3 months, throwing it out when there's  a good 3 days worth left, drives to another town 20 minutes away to buy chicken because it's organic, eats all organic food, paying $8.00 for 4 hamburger patties and buys dog toys and treats that she clearly cannot afford.  Finally gets 2 part-time jobs that seem like they'll work out, but has to get an advance from one of them because she has no appropriate clothes, only athletic wear.  WTF?  At one point she says that she was having a hard time finding a room to rent and thought she might have to buy a condo in order to move here.  WITH WHAT?  You can't even afford work clothes!  How anyone can live like this is beyond me.  I expect she'll be working until she can't, because SS/OAS sure don't pay much.  The more I see of her, the more I love myself for making all the right, although sometimes hard, decisions that have left me sitting very pretty in comparison.  HOW can people be so dumb, even when they're smart?

I am exhausted and have lost all patience just reading this. I have no idea how you've held it together living with her and not totally lost it with her.

Posts like this make me lose faith in humanity (and I just read the IPCC 1.5 degree thread too. This is seemingly worse.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7735 on: October 20, 2018, 01:54:11 AM »

It has been restarting itself once it gets to about 20% battery, so I'm not sure that's helping.  I've got a spare memory card around here somewhere.  Once I find it and back up studf I'm going to try a factory reset.  I really want to eek out at least another 6 months out of this one.  It's a used Galaxy S5 mini that I've only had for about 2 years.

Sounds like the battery is in bad shape... is it worth paying what looks like around $20 to get a new battery if it gets you another 6 months?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7736 on: October 20, 2018, 06:33:26 AM »

Sounds like the battery is in bad shape... is it worth paying what looks like around $20 to get a new battery if it gets you another 6 months?

It's worth a shot.  I looked back at my CC statements and it looks like I've only had it a year so I definitely need to get a little more time out of it.  And I still like it.  I tried that with my last phone and unfortunately found out that there were two slightly different versions of the S3 that had two different sized batteries.  Guess who ordered the wrong size the first time?

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7737 on: October 20, 2018, 10:03:27 AM »

I am exhausted and have lost all patience just reading this. I have no idea how you've held it together living with her and not totally lost it with her.

Posts like this make me lose faith in humanity (and I just read the IPCC 1.5 degree thread too. This is seemingly worse.)

Ha ha, YOU"RE tired?  I have to admit that it's somewhat shadenfreud-y, waiting to see how she can screw herself next!  I won't even get into her housekeeping habits and how she gets upset AT ME when I ask her to clean up or do something differently.  Luckily for her, I'm a pretty easy going person, although she is reaching the limits of even my good will.  I mostly tolerate her because she has the sweetest dog and it's only for about 9 more months.  Plus, I'm away a week a month, so I get a break.  But after this, no more roommates!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7738 on: October 21, 2018, 01:27:13 AM »

Historically, the "S" version is never a big change.  They discontinued the X and now have the Xs with some improvements for the same price as the X last year.  If people want to fall all over themselves for it, so be it.  If you're an investor in index funds, you've got Apple stock, so enjoy.

I really like the name they gave to the latest iPhone — it’s very appropriate. The iPhone XS (Excess).

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7739 on: October 22, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
I really like the name they gave to the latest iPhone — it’s very appropriate. The iPhone XS (Excess).

Should be XL!

fat-johnny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7740 on: October 23, 2018, 12:36:05 PM »
Facebook friend of mine.  Mom, always dressed to the nines, designer clothes, purses, and shoes.  Mother to a 6YO little girl.

Mom posts a pic of the 6YO daughter and an Asian woman, woman is giving 6YO daughter a side-hug.  Facebook posts says mom is at “XYZ Nail Salon”, and the post is “Little Suzy and her 3rd Grandma.  I’m so happy for the bond that these two have formed!”

Ummm…..you take 6YO Little Suzy to the nail salon so much that the nail tech is considered her “3rd Grandma”??  How about buying a $1 bottle of nail polish, and mom/daughter spend an hour around the kitchen table creating memories and painting each other’s nails?

I wonder what mom/daughter spend per month getting beautified.  SMH.

StacheyStache

• Bristles
« Reply #7741 on: October 27, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »
Yall I have never posted on this thread but I just can't hold back on this gem any more. 

So a friend of a friend added me on facebook and although I rarely accept requests that I'm not real life friends with, I admit that I added this person solely to see if his life was as big of a train wreck as I've heard.  I don't know him that well but I'm on the fringe of his friend group and what I've heard is just fascinating. 

This person has had two tries at college, pursuing two degrees of the basket weaving persuasion  and dropped out both times, incurring massive student loan debt as a result.  For some strange reason employers weren't falling at his feet to hire him and when he did find a job he would quickly find himself fired due to 'personality conflicts' as well as a general inability to show up, on time or ever.  He insisted that the problem wasn't him (of course not) but the location he lived in and thus spent a few years bouncing around the country looking for 'a place where he belonged,' crashing on the couches of various friends and half-heartedly trying his hand at low paying jobs (retail, food service etc). From what I hear he has never moved FOR A JOB, in fact he has never had a job lined up prior to a move.  Move first, deal with the consequences later.  For some reason these consequences never come as he is unfortunately a charming individual and apparently capable of conning multiple kind-hearted souls into allowing him to stay rent free, sometimes for months, until he decides to move along to the next place that would be SO MUCH BETTER FOR HIM than wherever he was at the moment.

The newest attempt at adulting is in my city.  Once again instead of finding a job first he moved with no plan and plopped himself down on the couch of a very sweet and overly trusting friend of mine.  He stayed there for one of his longest stints ever, close to a YEAR before he found a job.  The arrangement, according to my friend, was supposed to be very temporary and he was supposed to be taking on a majority of the housework in lieu of rent.  This did not happen and in fact he quickly became the biggest slob in the house and seemed in no hurry to find a job.  Close to a year in he and my friend had a falling out.  Now to be fair I have no idea what his version of events is but according to my friend it involved a party my friend was hosting (at the house the moocher was staying at rent free) and inviting someone the moocher did not like.  When my friend refused to take this person off the guest list, moocher immediately grabbed all of his stuff and left the house, taking several of my friend's possessions with him that he claimed as his, and went to stay at yet another kind-hearted (and by this point I think we can add very naive) person's house.  Friend says he never paid a dime for the entire time he stayed there and only let him stay so long because he was saying he'd be on the street if he got kicked out.  This was apparently a lie as he immediately found a new place to stay after their argument (I think he sensed an impending collision for this particular gravy train). 

Well moocher added me onto facebook around this time and it's been about a year since he left my friend's residence.  The trainwreck is everything I could have imagined and more.  Moocher did manage to get yet another low paying job but this time he also got his own apartment (!!!) along with a roommate (victim) of course.  I knew when this happened because he bragged about it for weeks as if he'd cured cancer.  Despite being in his THIRTIES apparently any sliver of real adulting is worth celebrating.  Fine.  Good for him.  Except that almost immediately after he moved in he began posting about the Struggle of Rent. Constant memes about how rough our generation has it (and I legitimately believe our generation has it pretty rough so the fact that I'm side eyeing this tells you how bad it is), how everything is and has always been against him, how he'll have sleep for dinner again tonight, sad emojis everywhere.  WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY posting pictures of fast food and of himself at concerts and sporting events. 

All I can think of is that poor roommate and who the hell did he con this time.

What finally got me to post here is that in recent months the moocher has apparently been "bitten by the travel bug" and is on his third trip by PLANE this year.  His trips are of course well documented with selfies and memes about the Joy of Travel.  This has apparently made his money situation particularly desperate so he has gone from subtle asks for money ("woe is me I'm so poor how will I eat" quickly followed by "it sure would be nice if a pizza magically appeared on my doorstep."  I wish I was joking.) to not-so-subtle asks.  I mean directly saying "give me money, any money, even a dollar will do" in increasingly creative ways ranging from cutesy to straight up begging.  The frequency of these posts is directly proportional to the frequency of his travel posts and how excited he is to "go off on his next adventure."  Today's post was what pushed me over the edge:  Directions on how to give directly to his paypal because he doesn't know how he'll pay rent (again, that poor roommate) the same day as posting that he bought yet another plane ticket.

I want to comment so bad.  So so bad.  It's taking a lot of restraint not to do so.  But I also don't want to find myself blocked so I can keep on watching this train wreck.  I've always had a thing for bad TV. 

Edit:  You know what the worst part is?  People apparently can't put two and two together because he gets sympathetic comments all the time on his pity posts and congratulatory comments on his travel posts.  He once posted his amazon wishlist and told people to buy him stuff on it because it wasn't fair that people who got married got presents and he'd never get married so he should get presents just because (???).  AND SOMEONE POSTED THEY WOULD BUY SOMETHING OFF IT.  At some point I don't know who is worse, the moocher or his enablers. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:05:51 PM by StacheyStache »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7742 on: October 27, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »
^^!

I do agree with the moocher about weddings... well, about wedding SHOWERS.   They used to be to provide small useful household gifts for setting up a new home.    Of course, most people have lived on their own / with their partner for YEARS before getting married, so these gifts are not needed.

Instead, I think we should be giving our young adults "First Real Apartment" showers with house warming gifts, instead of Wedding Showers.     I will see if I can do that for my nephew in a couple of years when he graduates.

>> you can still have a bridal lunch with the ladies, before your event, if you like, but not a gift-giving event in addition to a Wedding<<

StacheyStache

• Bristles
« Reply #7743 on: October 27, 2018, 04:21:16 PM »
^^!

I do agree with the moocher about weddings... well, about wedding SHOWERS.   They used to be to provide small useful household gifts for setting up a new home.    Of course, most people have lived on their own / with their partner for YEARS before getting married, so these gifts are not needed.

Instead, I think we should be giving our young adults "First Real Apartment" showers with house warming gifts, instead of Wedding Showers.     I will see if I can do that for my nephew in a couple of years when he graduates.

>> you can still have a bridal lunch with the ladies, before your event, if you like, but not a gift-giving event in addition to a Wedding<<

It's not so much the idea of getting a gift for your first apartment over a wedding that bothers me as much as it is yet another manipulative trick in this guy's never ending arsenal of ploys to get free stuff from his friends and family.  The ridiculousness is up there with those Nigerian prince scams and yet otherwise intelligent people keep falling for it.  Do they not realize that when they buy him food or household items or god forbid actually give him money what they're actually doing is subsidizing a lavish lifestyle that most people can't afford for themselves?  I'd love to go on three plane trips a year if someone else was paying for my rent!  Even my own boyfriend, who is closer to him than I am, admits he fell for this once and got him McDonald's because he bought the 'I'm starving' crap.  It's baffling.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:25:40 PM by StacheyStache »

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7744 on: October 27, 2018, 05:34:23 PM »
There are a number of these people around. One I know was moving house and was told by their mother, "Since you'll be living alone, I'll pay half your rent." Not even, "half up to $200" or whatever, but "half your rent." And their father's the same. The parents are divorced so there's probably a bit of making up for guilt etc going on there. But again: there are many people like this.

Of course, when someone else is in need, this person has not offered even a kind word.

It's all in the upbringing, I think.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7745 on: October 28, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
I had a "friend" like that on Facebook, actually someone I went to HS (I think she was an exchange student). Actually when she was younger she had an interesting job working for a board game company. I'm not sure exactly what happened with her life, but as she had 2 teens with no mention of husband I'm assuming she was divorced. Her life was just OVERLY drama filled. She was posting either how this Wonderful job opportunity fell into her lap, and then after a few weeks the drama stories of the job would start, a lot of time interpersonal conflicts with customers posted in quite detail (like if you worked there you could figure out who they were) including expletives. There would be the stories of her father in law whom she had ahem "strong" negative feelings towards. Also super loving posts of her daughter followed by how her daughter is acting like a complete ungrateful BITCH. Or posts about how super amazing and wonderful her son is, and how proud she is of him, followed by an angry post how his friends destroyed her house.
I also ashamedly kept her as friend because it did make me feel better about my own life, or at least my ability to filter what I tell other people!
I finally unfollowed her when she posted this tirade how she was really happy that they passed this bill (In Germany? France?) how people couldn't label say veggie sausage veggie sausage, and almond milk with the "milk" term. The reasoning which is that only bourgeois people can afford those type of people while other poor people cannot afford these products therefore should be outlawed! I stupidly put my 2 cents in (a) the people who were pushing for this ruling were the dairy and meat councils, and b) many are transition foods to help people become more vegetarian, and c) I don't think anyone is actually confused that almond or soy milk has actual milk in it). Apparently what I said was incredibly offensive and it ludicrously escalated from there to the point I had to block her.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:49:40 AM by partgypsy »

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7746 on: October 28, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »
nd c) I don't think anyone is actually confused that almond or soy milk has actual milk in it).
Have you ever made fresh almond or soy milk? It's quite the horror, getting up at 4am to milk those tiny buggers!

But Facebook drama I agree with, made me delete my account a few years ago and have been much happier since. Only use the wife's account occasionally for a specific support group, but even there the drama is quite the energy drain.

Ontopic: one of the most recent drama was a mom complaining that she didn't get a modified stroller but a wheelchair for her son. I get that the city wanted to provide the wheelchair and not the stroller but she felt that her son's disability was put on showcase. To be fair, he's 8 and a modified stroller is like 800 euros which won't break most banks. If I were in the same position of even prefer the wheelchair, of only that for his age it would be more appropriate and raise less eyebrows.
(This is part of the welfare society, those in need of extra support beyond what is expected of a family to provide can request their city to contribute. Most cities have various rules as to what will and won't be provided. Both our sons receive subsidized care based on the early intervention program, both are genuinely in need of it too though.)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7747 on: October 28, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »
one of the most recent drama was a mom complaining that she didn't get a modified stroller but a wheelchair for her son. I get that the city wanted to provide the wheelchair and not the stroller but she felt that her son's disability was put on showcase. To be fair, he's 8 and a modified stroller is like 800 euros which won't break most banks. If I were in the same position of even prefer the wheelchair, of only that for his age it would be more appropriate and raise less eyebrows.
If he's 8 and in a pram, they're getting looks either way. And wheelchairs are pretty expensive, usually more than prams, so it may not have been a financial decision by the city.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7748 on: October 28, 2018, 11:34:58 PM »
one of the most recent drama was a mom complaining that she didn't get a modified stroller but a wheelchair for her son. I get that the city wanted to provide the wheelchair and not the stroller but she felt that her son's disability was put on showcase. To be fair, he's 8 and a modified stroller is like 800 euros which won't break most banks. If I were in the same position of even prefer the wheelchair, of only that for his age it would be more appropriate and raise less eyebrows.
If he's 8 and in a pram, they're getting looks either way. And wheelchairs are pretty expensive, usually more than prams, so it may not have been a financial decision by the city.
Oh, it was definitely financial. Almost all decisions in this case are.

The wheelchair with a 5-point child-safe safety belt is something like 400 euros whereas the stroller is 800 commercially. The city has bulk buying discounts on the wheelchair but not the stroller (not enough users).

Recently there was a lawsuit though, filed by a supportgroup because a city denied a request immediately based on cost and advised the standard solution which was a lot cheaper.  The group won it too because the request was adjusted to that families situation and the law provides that any request should be judged on suitability and not cost (within limits). Made to measure may be more expensive but it may also allow for a more humane way of living, choice of carer etc.
Also, the supplied solutions by the city are generic which is why they are cheap. In our case we would have an accountmanager, 3 workers of various generic specialties at 12 euro an hour and no communication between them and other parties. Fortunately we got our request approved and now have a specialist who does all the work, meets with DSs school teacher to line up her work with theirs, meets with DS2s physiotherapist, speech therapist AND meets with the school where we intend to send him where she has a file a mile long which she uses to prove that he can do this if they only allow for minor adjustments.

She takes so much work off our hands I would pay her fee out of pocket, if I could. But even if she is more expensive she saves the city money in the long run simply because of all the other people I don't need which wouldn't be the case with the generic solution. And best of all, she gives us peace of mind that thing will end up OK even though now may be bleak.

Mrs.Piano

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7749 on: October 29, 2018, 03:11:02 AM »

What finally got me to post here is that in recent months the moocher has apparently been "bitten by the travel bug" and is on his third trip by PLANE this year.  His trips are of course well documented with selfies and memes about the Joy of Travel.  This has apparently made his money situation particularly desperate so he has gone from subtle asks for money ("woe is me I'm so poor how will I eat" quickly followed by "it sure would be nice if a pizza magically appeared on my doorstep."  I wish I was joking.) to not-so-subtle asks.  I mean directly saying "give me money, any money, even a dollar will do" in increasingly creative ways ranging from cutesy to straight up begging.  The frequency of these posts is directly proportional to the frequency of his travel posts and how excited he is to "go off on his next adventure."  Today's post was what pushed me over the edge:  Directions on how to give directly to his paypal because he doesn't know how he'll pay rent (again, that poor roommate) the same day as posting that he bought yet another plane ticket.

We have a lady like that at our mosque, she is always complaining about how she is hungry, how she has no food in the house, etc. She has repeatedly stated that she has government disability payments monthly but is frequently posting on FB about how she has bought new art supplies or she has gotten a new tattoo. Now, I live a good ways from the mosque, about 1/2 hour on public transport. I live very near to the only pay-what-you-can grocery in Canada.  Offered to take her there, since I had to go home anyway.  She refused, saying, « Thanks, that would be nice but then I would have to cook the food ». I just said, « okay, let me know if you ever need a ride over there. Salaam aleikum » and then left.  I’ve been told that other people have given her food many times but I can’t see that as helpful or sustainable.