Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082242 times)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6550 on: August 13, 2017, 08:08:02 PM »
http://www.geekfill.com/2017/05/15/this-woman-was-arrested-for-stealing-a-case-of-water-bottles-and-this-was-her-husbands-response/

So this showed up on my Facebook feed.  It is actually about how someone got arrested for stealing bottled water from Whole Foods, but the important detail is they spend THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS a year at Whole Foods.  That is like 6x what my family of four spends a year on groceries at Aldi.

Oh, this is an OLD story (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/whole-foods-security-bans-woman-for-mistakenly-taking-water-1.2877820), but still a fun one to re-read!

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #6551 on: August 14, 2017, 07:28:20 AM »
http://www.geekfill.com/2017/05/15/this-woman-was-arrested-for-stealing-a-case-of-water-bottles-and-this-was-her-husbands-response/

So this showed up on my Facebook feed.  It is actually about how someone got arrested for stealing bottled water from Whole Foods, but the important detail is they spend THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS a year at Whole Foods.  That is like 6x what my family of four spends a year on groceries at Aldi.
Love it when people say "If I've done my math right (which I have)" when, in fact, they haven't.  $17K ($2,165.46 * 12 / 1.5 = $17,323.68) per year is still a tremendous amount to be spending on groceries for 2 people, but not quite as cringe-worthy as presented.  And doesn't detract from the hilarity of the letter or the ridiculousness of the situation.

Or the poster has more data than presented in the letter - but I mean, when you say "we spent this much during this 1.5 month span" and then "if we keep spending at this rate . . .", presumably the amount found follows from the data presented, right?

May I correct your math?

Oct 8th-Nov 27th, is 50 days. Thus their spending average is as so: 365 / 50 = 7.3 * 2,165.46 = $15,807.86 per year.
Please do - I didn't want to get too far into it, so I just went with 1.5 months, which the letter states somewhere in there.  Also, if we're nit-picking, some years have 366 days, so a better approximation is 365.25.  Of course that doesn't take into account years such as 1900 and 2100 where we skip a leap-year.  So, 365.25 is a good estimate for this couple, if we're talking-long-term spending (83 years to the next skipped leap year, so they may not even see 1 of those) but not necessarily the general case.  So now I get $15,818.69, rounded.

I quoted this whole thing just to say - I never knew we skipped leap years when it is divisible by 100 but not 400!!  That will be my fun fact of the week.  (I know, it's not very fun, is it?)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6552 on: August 14, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
Is anyone else getting sick of these billion dollar company's hiring out rent-a-cops that when they get into trouble, the company's response is to state "they aren't employees, we only contracted their services." At a NFL preseason game there was a video of a security guard punching a fan (who may have deserved it) and the NFL's team's response was "he was a contractor, not an employee."

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #6553 on: August 14, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
A facebook friend from high school has been posting pictures of his family eating at fancy/expensive/famous restaurants for the last week or so and everyone was commenting on the "celebration". I kept trying to figure out what exactly they were celebrating so lavishly. It was eventualy revealed that it was a his daughter's birthday. Her FIRST birthday. I didn't know babies liked raw oysters.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6554 on: August 15, 2017, 12:16:27 AM »
Is anyone else getting sick of these billion dollar company's hiring out rent-a-cops that when they get into trouble, the company's response is to state "they aren't employees, we only contracted their services." At a NFL preseason game there was a video of a security guard punching a fan (who may have deserved it) and the NFL's team's response was "he was a contractor, not an employee."

YES. And also other "contractors" - I had a delivery last week where the "self-employed contractor" working on behalf of the delivery company threw my parcel, which was wrapped in 'fragile' tape, over my 7ft back fence onto the concrete path. I complained. It's a "contractor". So I was like "Do you give them no training, then? No guidelines? No instructions? They just turn up knowing how to work for you?" No reply yet.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #6555 on: August 15, 2017, 03:20:53 AM »
I didn't know babies liked raw oysters.

My kids enjoyed raw oysters from the age of 2.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6556 on: August 15, 2017, 04:08:24 AM »

YES. And also other "contractors" - I had a delivery last week where the "self-employed contractor" working on behalf of the delivery company threw my parcel, which was wrapped in 'fragile' tape, over my 7ft back fence onto the concrete path. I complained. It's a "contractor". So I was like "Do you give them no training, then? No guidelines? No instructions? They just turn up knowing how to work for you?" No reply yet.
That he is a contractor does not mean they can't throw them out on their backside. I've had similar experiences and complained to the Post and they informed me that this was a recurring offense so they cancelled his contract. I think it's weak and childish to hide behind the "it's a contractor" line, it means they don't take your seriously as a customer but also throws their own brand down the dumps. Appearently the excuse is worth less than the damage done to their brand...

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6557 on: August 15, 2017, 09:25:37 AM »
A facebook friend from high school has been posting pictures of his family eating at fancy/expensive/famous restaurants for the last week or so and everyone was commenting on the "celebration". I kept trying to figure out what exactly they were celebrating so lavishly. It was eventualy revealed that it was a his daughter's birthday. Her FIRST birthday. I didn't know babies liked raw oysters.

I thought it was generally understood that first birthday parties aren't for the kid, they're a celebration of the parents' success in keeping the kid alive for a year. :)

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #6558 on: August 21, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
From a FB group for Housing/jobs/etc.:
A $6,000 chair that you are paying to store?!?!?

Maybe the raw oysters were a jump start on baby #2?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6559 on: August 21, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »

I thought it was generally understood that first birthday parties aren't for the kid, they're a celebration of the parents' success in keeping the kid alive for a year. :)

And a way to show off your affluence at the same time!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6560 on: August 21, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Friend of a friend posted "Last night I thought I heard water running, and figured I'd check on it in the morning".

Uh, yeah.  The next morning he found that a pipe in the crawl space had been spraying water up into his insulation all night.

Unexpected running water is pretty high on my list of "things you don't wait to investigate".

I was just about to leave the house for a few days, heard water running, then ran out =side to shut off the whole house water. Main line blew under the slab. Had it happened after I left I would have had a very bad problem to fix upon my return.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6561 on: August 21, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »

I'm curious what the $6,000 chair looks like.  And, I'm sorry, but those $569 shelves are hideous :-D

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6562 on: August 22, 2017, 12:54:56 AM »

I'm curious what the $6,000 chair looks like.  And, I'm sorry, but those $569 shelves are hideous :-D

I also like the way they request: "NO SCAMMERS" like that is going to stop people. Is this a thing that I've missed? It reads the same as "No Burglars" on a locked door.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6563 on: August 22, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »

I also like the way they request: "NO SCAMMERS" like that is going to stop people. Is this a thing that I've missed? It reads the same as "No Burglars" on a locked door.
If anything, it screams the opposite.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6564 on: August 22, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »

There are apparently a lot of choices for chairs at that price.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%246,000+chair&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja4fvkt-vVAhUL_IMKHWnqA38QsxgIKQ&biw=1440&bih=791

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6565 on: August 22, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNm0wTMDeQ

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6566 on: August 22, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »

If anything, it screams the opposite.

People who fall for outrageous scams tend to be hilariously oblivious to scams even existing. Even after they occur. A comment like that may detour scammers who just want the easiest fish. (This is why Ethiopian princes or super male vitality organic vitamins have such outlandous stories with typos and malformed paragraphs. They want to filter out anyone who has even an inkling of sensibility. This is James Veitch's conclusion.)

While we are on this subject, I follow the Personal Finance stackexchange and this one particular scam always generates new questions in my mind: https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/67941/scam-or-real-a-woman-from-facebook-apparently-needs-my-bank-account-to-send-mon
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:02:56 PM by kayvent »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6567 on: August 22, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
...snip.... A comment like that may detour scammers who just want the easiest fish. (This is why Ethiopian princes or super male vitality organic vitamins have such outlandous stories with typos and malformed paragraphs. They want to filter out anyone who has even an inkling of sensibility. This is James Veitch's conclusion.)

I'm still bummed that I threw out an actual Nigerian prince bank scam fax. 
It might have had collector value :-). 

I never thought of the egregious typos as a scam/ scum/ cream of the stupid crop filter.
Somehow I admire the scammer that realized this.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #6568 on: August 23, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »
A classmate recently purchased a fixer-uper (and it is seriously a fixer upper) in a small town 1500 miles away from our school (yes, really, 1500 miles). Currently she lives apart from her husband due to him having his job on the other side of the state. So in addition to our pricey tuition, they're maintaining two separate households of expenses already. She has a leased car, but I guess thank goodness she comes from money because daddy pays for her rent and lease payment... because someone in their 20s with a gainfully employed spouse definitely needs money from mommy and daddy still.

I'm still wondering who on earth purchases a house 1500 miles away when you still have a year of schooling to go. I think they have some family in the area, and its in a location where her husband could get a job, but her job prospects would likely be slim. Right now she's in that area working on an internship.

And I highly doubt its a fix and flip or fix and rent situation- she's posted about all of the renovations they're going to do to make it exactly how they want it.

But seriously - what the heck?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6569 on: August 23, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »
This is James Veitch's conclusion.)

Can I just say that James Veitch is freaking hysterical, and anyone with some time to kill should go find his videos on youtube.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6570 on: August 23, 2017, 06:02:03 PM »
FYI how you too can become a Nigerian Prince.

http://www.stearns.org/fun/nigerian-email-conference.htm

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6571 on: August 23, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
This is James Veitch's conclusion.)

Can I just say that James Veitch is freaking hysterical, and anyone with some time to kill should go find his videos on youtube.

+1000

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6572 on: August 24, 2017, 09:26:44 AM »
This is as much as a vent as an overheard...

I will start with some back story.  A friend of mine, has been unemployed since January.  She has been unable to find work at all due to the fact that she is transgender, and as much as we like to sugar coat it, the market is very hard for transgender women.

To top it all off, out of the last 30 months she has maybe worked 6 or 7.

Anyway, two nights ago she and her partner call me.  They have had their power cut off at their house.  They have not been able to pay their bills because of the lack of employment that has affected her.

Fast forward to today.  I have my freezers full of her stuff, because, that is what friends do right.  I see a post on Facebook.  Could not help myself, look at these new fake nails I just got.

Now I understand that it is very important for her to look as feminine as she possibly can, but really, you just spent $50-60 on getting your nails done when you have had your power cut off.

This story keeps getting worse.  Facebook post about 30 days after, got her nails done again.  Again a week or so after that, going to near by city to stay in fancy pant hotel and see my friend. 

Last night she posted that she has bought a dog.  Not just any dog, one that was a rescue and will require surgery in 3-6 months out of her pocket.

This morning, complaining starts again about how broke she is, and she cannot find a job for the life of her.

My God, why do people keep burring themselves like this?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6573 on: August 24, 2017, 03:41:50 PM »

I will start with some back story.  A friend of mine, has been unemployed since January.  She has been unable to find work at all due to the fact that she is transgender, and as much as we like to sugar coat it, the market is very hard for transgender women.

Anyway, two nights ago she and her partner call me.  They have had their power cut off at their house.  They have not been able to pay their bills because of the lack of employment that has affected her.

Fast forward to today.  I have my freezers full of her stuff, because, that is what friends do right.  I see a post on Facebook.  Could not help myself, look at these new fake nails I just got.

Now I understand that it is very important for her to look as feminine as she possibly can, but really, you just spent $50-60 on getting your nails done when you have had your power cut off.

This story keeps getting worse.  Facebook post about 30 days after, got her nails done again.  Again a week or so after that, going to near by city to stay in fancy pant hotel and see my friend. 

Last night she posted that she has bought a dog.  Not just any dog, one that was a rescue and will require surgery in 3-6 months out of her pocket.

This morning, complaining starts again about how broke she is, and she cannot find a job for the life of her.

My God, why do people keep burning themselves like this?

It's almost addict-like behaviour - they know it'll kill them but they still keep doing it.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6574 on: August 29, 2017, 07:16:11 AM »
On our towns FB community page this morning someone asked

"Do you know if you can return a new vehicle to the dealership after 9 days when shit hits the fan?"

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6575 on: August 29, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »

Oh, don't forget my two favorites, the "caution baby on board", and "caution show dogs on board"   stickers on the back of idiot's cars. Thank God for the warning, I was just about to drive like a moron and smash into your car, then I spotted the sign. That sign surely saved your baby, AND your prized show mutt.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6576 on: August 29, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »

Oh, don't forget my two favorites, the "caution baby on board", and "caution show dogs on board"   stickers on the back of idiot's cars. Thank God for the warning, I was just about to drive like a moron and smash into your car, then I spotted the sign. That sign surely saved your baby, AND your prized show mutt.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6577 on: August 29, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »
I was told that the Baby on board sign was to help first responders in a crash know to look for little kid parts. (or whole kids thrown from the vehicle that can be saved)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6578 on: August 29, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6579 on: August 30, 2017, 12:07:09 AM »

These signs give me valuable information about the drivers. Both that they think I'm interested in their baby and that they are more likely distracted.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6580 on: August 30, 2017, 12:08:53 AM »
I was told that the Baby on board sign was to help first responders in a crash know to look for little kid parts. (or whole kids thrown from the vehicle that can be saved)

I spoke to first responders about when these things became popular, they spent a lot of time looking for kids that were never in the car. In our area, they look for car seats, not signs.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6581 on: August 30, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »

A common and enduring myth

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6582 on: August 30, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
I keep a full inventory of all stuff in my car/house for just such an occasion.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6583 on: August 31, 2017, 12:08:48 PM »
A neighbor posted about how it was national insurance month or something like that and reminded people to check their life insurance.

I asked him a question about it, and in his response he recommended a 30-year term policy.  One of his rationales was "would be helpful if you hadn't reached your retirement goal yet".

Then I smiled, because I already have.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6584 on: August 31, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »
A neighbor posted about how it was national insurance month or something like that and reminded people to check their life insurance.

I asked him a question about it, and in his response he recommended a 30-year term policy.  One of his rationales was "would be helpful if you hadn't reached your retirement goal yet".

A reasonable suggestion though, as far as life insurance goes. At least he's not trying to sell you whole life insurance or something.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6585 on: September 01, 2017, 12:15:27 AM »

Well, you would know, dragoncar.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6586 on: September 01, 2017, 01:14:34 AM »

Well, you would know, dragoncar.

Fun fact, dragoncars need a special sign to alert responders to potential explosions:

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6587 on: September 01, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »
I always wondered how dragons could carry enough gas.  Next question, do you have onboard compressors and chillers?

UN 1075   2.1   Petroleum gases, liquefied or Liquefied petroleum gas

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #6588 on: September 03, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »

A reasonable suggestion though, as far as life insurance goes. At least he's not trying to sell you whole life insurance or something.

This is very kind of him.  What a good PSA.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6589 on: September 03, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »

This is very kind of him.  What a good PSA.

I have 10 year term and wish I had 20. I don't think 30 is necessary. 

He's a really good insurance guy. I don't think he does sales, just manages the rest.  They are a family that is spendypants, but reasonable with their money.

It was mostly just the "if you haven't met your retirement goal" that made me laugh.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6590 on: September 10, 2017, 05:09:01 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts as 'overheard on facebook' because it's a news article someone shared.

The article is about some research done into people who are in a negative equity situation. They followed people whose homes were underwater and found that people in that situation took a lot less time to find a new job after being laid off than people who paid off their homes. On average they were prepared to accepted lower wages. So far, very understandable. People in a hair on fire debt situation are desperate and need to take any job they can get. If you've paid off your house and have an emergency fund, you can take your time to find a job that really suits you.

Then, the conclusion of the article: apparantly people having high debts find it easier to get a job than people with no or low debts, so maybe banks should consider higher loan-to-value ratios, bbecause apparantly people with high debts are more employable. Of course everyone else thinks this is a brilliant idea, because why wouldn't you want to buy a bigger house? And what about all those poor young people who have to buy small cheap homes before they can buy a proper home?  These people need facepalms with sledgehammers.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #6591 on: September 11, 2017, 12:29:35 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts as 'overheard on facebook' because it's a news article someone shared.

The article is about some research done into people who are in a negative equity situation.
Do you still have the link? Share the fun with us!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6592 on: September 11, 2017, 10:43:34 PM »
A friend on Facebook who drives an older toyota wrote last week "Anyone change brakes for cheap, mine are toast, can't drive anymore".  At least 10 friends of his commented and offered to do it for cheap, or guide him through the process of changing brakes for free.  He replied "dude, if I knew how to change brakes I would do it, but also I don't have a jack".  People then suggested he buy one since you need one for the car anyway, but today on Facebook he wrote "Yay! #newcar #jetta".  I have no words

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6593 on: September 12, 2017, 06:03:02 AM »
A friend on Facebook who drives an older toyota wrote last week "Anyone change brakes for cheap, mine are toast, can't drive anymore".  At least 10 friends of his commented and offered to do it for cheap, or guide him through the process of changing brakes for free.  He replied "dude, if I knew how to change brakes I would do it, but also I don't have a jack".  People then suggested he buy one since you need one for the car anyway, but today on Facebook he wrote "Yay! #newcar #jetta".  I have no words
Wow.  He got rid of a reliable, efficient car that needs only standard (inexpensive) maintenance and is easy to work on...for a German brand that has a reputation for expensive and/or complicated repairs, all because he didn't want to spend $100.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #6594 on: September 12, 2017, 07:28:17 AM »
"Overheard" on Twitter but close enough:

The person posted how friends started a GoFundMe page so that she could participate in their coastal golfing trip with a goal of raising $3,000. Five hours later she posted, "Goes get groceries at HEB, still hits the salad bar at Whole Foods for dinner."

My initial thought was to reply that saving some money on dinner by eating the groceries could help you reach the goal but I'm sure it would fall on deaf ears.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6595 on: September 12, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »
Friend: Which of my friends sells Lularoe? I need leggings stat!

Me: Pretty sure if any of your friends sold it, YOU'D FUCKIN' KNOW. Ahahaha

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6596 on: September 12, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »
Okay, not FB, but it didn't deserve it's on thread. This was on r/Frugal on Reddit.

A guy asked which car he should buy, he drives a 99 Civic but wants to get one a few years old or a 2016 for $15k with very little miles.

Everyone said get the 2016, you deserve it, it's a great deal with low miles so it's basically brand new, etc etc.

I commented saying you shouldn't buy a car you can't afford to with cash and that 10% of your income is not a bad rule of thumb (so $7k for him). Now I'm arguing with someone who says that a car payment isn't a "big risk" because you should have an emergency fund, you could always sell the car, and it IS more expensive but "you get what you pay for".

I think I should unsubscribe from r/Frugal.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6597 on: September 12, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »

My God, why do people keep burring themselves like this?

Arrg she is at it again on facebook today.  She had to drive her partner into work today with the dog.  They live in a small town with a 125km commute, each direction.  She drove in because she wanted to see if the dog likes McDonalds.

So she is driving 250km round trip to drop her wife off, then getting mcdonalds for her and the dog.  Then she will drive the 250km round trip to pick up her wife...

SMH I don't even know what to say at this point.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6598 on: September 12, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »
I don't think a dog will make it 125km post-McDonald's without some serious digestive issues.  There are many problems here.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6599 on: September 12, 2017, 02:10:32 PM »
I don't think a dog will make it 125km post-McDonald's without some serious digestive issues.  There are many problems here.

If anybody deserves mcdonalds dog diarrhea sprayed on the interior of their car it's that lady.