Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082311 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1400 on: January 15, 2015, 02:05:10 PM »
The Costco/BJs store brand ground is actually pretty tasty. Folgers and maxwell house taste like cigarette ashes.

These days the quality and perception of coffee has become such an obsession for people that it's socially more acceptable to admit you dumpster drive than that you drink Maxwell House coffee. Well, since I write under a pseudonym anyway, I'll come out of the closet.

I drink Maxwell House and Folgers coffee - whichever is on sale at Costco. I find if you throw enough grounds into the coffee maker, it tastes fine. Sure, I'm not an idiot. Other, more expensive brands taste better, but since I major on quantity, I can't spend as much on the quality. It works for us, although I have "nicer" (the Aldi organic brand) coffee laying around for people who hyperbolically wax like above.
I prefer folgers to maxwell house. I don't know why and folgers is cheaper, but I do. I also dislike TH and like MacDonalds and Starbucks via. Love espresso and many fancy brands but morning coffe is folgers for me.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #1401 on: January 15, 2015, 04:08:44 PM »
My favorite cheap coffee is cafe du monde.  For some inexplicable reason it is 8$ for a can at walmart but 3$ at the asian grocery.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1402 on: January 15, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
The parka discussion is a few days old, but I CAN'T RESIST chiming in to share that I own a pair of $300 leather hiking boots that took me through 2 years of daily 10-mile hikes (I was an archaeologist) when I first bought them about 4 years ago, protecting me from rocks and cactus and ankle sprains along the way. They now keep my feet toasty warm while walking/waiting for the bus and allow me to tromp through snow to avoid icy sidewalks. I do not regret a penny of that $300, and haven't spent anything on winter boots in 4 years, either.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1403 on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
The Costco/BJs store brand ground is actually pretty tasty. Folgers and maxwell house taste like cigarette ashes.

These days the quality and perception of coffee has become such an obsession for people that it's socially more acceptable to admit you dumpster drive than that you drink Maxwell House coffee. Well, since I write under a pseudonym anyway, I'll come out of the closet.

I drink Maxwell House and Folgers coffee - whichever is on sale at Costco. I find if you throw enough grounds into the coffee maker, it tastes fine. Sure, I'm not an idiot. Other, more expensive brands taste better, but since I major on quantity, I can't spend as much on the quality. It works for us, although I have "nicer" (the Aldi organic brand) coffee laying around for people who hyperbolically wax like above.

I drink King Soopers generic brand coffee (version of Kroger in these parts). And this is going to sound potentially even more highbrow than insisting on quality coffee, but I've yet to find ANY coffee in the US that compares even remotely to the coffee that came out of the machine at my school when I was studying abroad in Italy, much less what I could drink at a cafe for 1E, so I'll keep drinking my $5/huge can coffee and call it good.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1404 on: January 16, 2015, 01:19:22 AM »
I'm not on FB, but I have to chime in on the coffee discussion.  While living in Honduras, arguably one of the finest coffee-growing regions in the world, I bought Maxwell House coffe at the PX and drank it instead of the local coffee I could get at any local grocery.  One of my co-workers informed me I was definitely going to hell.  It is even illegal to import coffee into Honduras from anywhere else, so I'm not sure how the PX got away with it, but I was glad they did.  I just preferred what I was used to.  Here I go with the house brand at Costco or WalMart.

Rangifer

• Stubble
« Reply #1405 on: January 16, 2015, 05:05:59 AM »
I've got one for you guys about a married couple I know. Beginning of December the wife lands in the hospital with a very serious issue. Cue fb posts by husband about having to work extra hours, it being so hard without her income, medical bills and more. One of their friends sets up one of those gofundme things for them to help them with their bills. Several thousand were raised. Fast forward to today and husband posts on fb about how hard it is to find a 70" Ultra HD TV for under 2k. In post comments he also mentions how he is over having a small tv (currently has a 50"), and how he's gonna now get a home theater setup. 

I feel bad for the wife because she is a very good person, but her husband has always had horrible spending habits. I also feel bad for the people who donated, as I'm sure I am not the only one who can connect the dots here.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 05:20:30 AM by Rangifer »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1406 on: January 16, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »
Honestly, I'm surprised people don't just publicly ask "wtf" after donating money to their "cause"...

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1407 on: January 16, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »
My favorite cheap coffee is cafe du monde.  For some inexplicable reason it is 8$ for a can at walmart but 3$ at the asian grocery.

Holy smokes Mustard Tiger!  You should start selling that stuff on the black market!  I love it but have to order from amazon, because my podunk town walmart doesn't carry it anymore.  Same happened with Cafe Bustelo...I fell in love, Walmart discontinued.  Tried Cafe du Monde and loved it, Walmart discontinued :(

Sadly, they are my only local grocery option without driving 10 miles to the next town over.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #1408 on: January 16, 2015, 11:25:12 AM »
I've got one for you guys about a married couple I know. Beginning of December the wife lands in the hospital with a very serious issue. Cue fb posts by husband about having to work extra hours, it being so hard without her income, medical bills and more. One of their friends sets up one of those gofundme things for them to help them with their bills. Several thousand were raised. Fast forward to today and husband posts on fb about how hard it is to find a 70" Ultra HD TV for under 2k. In post comments he also mentions how he is over having a small tv (currently has a 50"), and how he's gonna now get a home theater setup. 

I feel bad for the wife because she is a very good person, but her husband has always had horrible spending habits. I also feel bad for the people who donated, as I'm sure I am not the only one who can connect the dots here.

I would be PISSED if I had donated money and the husband used it buy a freakin $2K TV.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1409 on: January 16, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »

Honestly, I'm surprised people don't just publicly ask "wtf" after donating money to their "cause"...

Post a link to his page, there's 1000 people here that will happily troll him
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:48:55 PM by marty998 »

Rangifer

• Stubble
« Reply #1410 on: January 16, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »
I doubt any amount of trolling will help this guy. He's been like that forever. This is the same guy that enrolled in one of those fast-track for profit colleges, then got held back for a term, then was unable (too lazy) to pass the licensing exam for his new career. He now works in the shipping dept of some company, which is exactly what he used to do before the degree. He could easily double or triple his income if he were to actually pass the exam and become licensed. Instead this guy spends his free time collecting Transformers action figures and customizing his minivan with gaudy wheels and other ridiculous items. This guy is in his 30's btw. Mentally, he is still in that high school phase where how cool you are depends on what things you have.

The other part I left out was that the initial health issue is only resolved temporarily. There will be another extended hospital stay in the future to (hopefully) replace the faulty part. We'll see how much they raise the second time around...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:43:36 PM by Rangifer »

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1411 on: January 16, 2015, 03:01:07 PM »
I doubt any amount of trolling will help this guy. He's been like that forever. This is the same guy that enrolled in one of those fast-track for profit colleges, then got held back for a term, then was unable (too lazy) to pass the licensing exam for his new career. He now works in the shipping dept of some company, which is exactly what he used to do before the degree. He could easily double or triple his income if he were to actually pass the exam and become licensed. Instead this guy spends his free time collecting Transformers action figures and customizing his minivan with gaudy wheels and other ridiculous items. This guy is in his 30's btw. Mentally, he is still in that high school phase where how cool you are depends on what things you have.

The other part I left out was that the initial health issue is only resolved temporarily. There will be another extended hospital stay in the future to (hopefully) replace the faulty part. We'll see how much they raise the second time around...

In what world does putting rims on your minivan make you cool?  Sounds terrifying :D

Also I feel terrible for his poor wife :(

Rangifer

• Stubble
« Reply #1412 on: January 16, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »
Do a google image seach for "vip jdm minivan"

It is one of those things where it kinda looks cool if you take the picture from a certain angle...

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1413 on: January 16, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
They see me rollin', they hatin'...

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #1414 on: January 16, 2015, 05:49:01 PM »
Hey, I finally got something.  Friend posted a picture of his dog looking at a box labeled BarkBox. Turns out it's one of those monthly box of random crap subscriptions services.

For your dog.

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1415 on: January 16, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
They see me rollin', they hatin'...

Hmmmm... think I could convince everyone that the plastic panel damage on MY Previa is "custom work"?

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #1416 on: January 17, 2015, 01:56:43 AM »
Do a google image seach for "vip jdm minivan"

It is one of those things where it kinda looks cool if you take the picture from a certain angle...

What - 1/4 mile away with another car in between?

Poor wife :(

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1417 on: January 17, 2015, 04:55:35 AM »
Haha. My coworker got a 6mo BarkBox subscription for my dog for Christmas. I wouldn't pay for it for sure, but so far its good quality more natural food and chew toys, only plastic so far is a flexible travel bowl.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1418 on: January 17, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
Lots of facepalms in the musicians group I'm in on Facebook... seems like you're not a real guitar player if you don't have $3000 worth of effects pedals and a $3000 amp. I just laugh.

I'm probably going to stop visiting facebook at some point, so.... diminishing returns. I went back a re-un-followed everybody again, I couldn't take it.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1419 on: January 17, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »
Hey, I finally got something.  Friend posted a picture of his dog looking at a box labeled BarkBox. Turns out it's one of those monthly box of random crap subscriptions services.

For your dog.

Stuff that dogs like . . . So, it's a box of dirty socks, road kill, cat poop, and used underwear? Brilliant! The cost of goods is practically nothing. Wish I'd thought of it. 

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1420 on: January 17, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
Haha. My coworker got a 6mo BarkBox subscription for my dog for Christmas. I wouldn't pay for it for sure, but so far its good quality more natural food and chew toys, only plastic so far is a flexible travel bowl.

I'm 100% sure the dog would be happier if its owner just worked an hour less a day and spent that time throwing an old tennis ball.  ;)

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1421 on: January 17, 2015, 02:38:11 PM »

For your dog.

Stuff that dogs like . . . So, it's a box of dirty socks, road kill, cat poop, and used underwear? Brilliant! The cost of goods is practically nothing. Wish I'd thought of it.

Edit: Missed the quotes order.

It could even be all the junk from the other subscription box services that even they can't sell. Just covered with some feces so that the dogs thinks it's DELICIOUS.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:34:01 PM by fantabulous »

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #1422 on: January 17, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »
The parka discussion is a few days old, but I CAN'T RESIST chiming in to share that I own a pair of $300 leather hiking boots that took me through 2 years of daily 10-mile hikes (I was an archaeologist) when I first bought them about 4 years ago, protecting me from rocks and cactus and ankle sprains along the way. They now keep my feet toasty warm while walking/waiting for the bus and allow me to tromp through snow to avoid icy sidewalks. I do not regret a penny of that $300, and haven't spent anything on winter boots in 4 years, either.
at the risk if sounding "anti-mustachian": who is the maker of these boots(brand)? Those sound hard core!

vogon poetry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1423 on: January 18, 2015, 06:45:54 AM »
A "friend" is heavy into the beachbody coach MLM world--and I just can't look away. At this point we are only FB "friends" and I probably ought to  unfriend her, but its slightly fascinating  to me. She regularly posts about her workouts / food ( heavy workouts / light food) , but she has been posting bits about her finances--mostly hashtag style "#designedlife" and "#ideserveit" for things like quitting her day job, jetting about for beachbody trainings in different ( warmer) parts of the country and, most recently, trading in her old  car for a brand new car ( that one she commented on  something to the effect of "I know I can afford it and I deserve it!" ) Its interesting to me, the MLM set up seems designed for women to prey on their friendships, female guilt and their  friends' insecurities to make a living.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1424 on: January 18, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »

For your dog.

haha, Facebook used to advertise those to me all the time! I'm a crazy dog person, but not that crazy. plus my older dog doesn't really care about toys and my puppy is pretty into sticks and empty plastic bottles.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #1425 on: January 18, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »
I am surprised at how many people on my FB regularly attend NFL games. I like to think most of them were gifted tickets or purchased them at a reasonable price somehow. Otherwise wow that would be getting expensive.

crispy

« Reply #1426 on: January 18, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
I am surprised at how many people on my FB regularly attend NFL games. I like to think most of them were gifted tickets or purchased them at a reasonable price somehow. Otherwise wow that would be getting expensive.

Here they practically give away tickets because our team sucks so bad.  They are even doing Groupons.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #1427 on: January 18, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »

Here they practically give away tickets because our team sucks so bad.  They are even doing Groupons.

Oh man that's rough. I live in Seattle. Seahawks tickets cost a fortune and people camp out for them.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1428 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:21 PM »

Oh man that's rough. I live in Seattle. Seahawks tickets cost a fortune and people camp out for them.

My brother owns Seahawks season tickets. He has a moral problem with selling them at market rates.  My understanding is that, when he or someone in the family can't use the tickets, he sells the pair for something like $100 or less - and then he donates that $ to charity. 

If I owned that asset I'd milk it for every dollar I could squeeze out of it - and then watch the game from a bar in pioneer square. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:31:33 PM by Malaysia41 »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1429 on: January 18, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »
DH's high school classmate posted loads of pictures and comments on FB while traipsing through New Orleans a few months ago on a big vacation. 

Last month HS classmate posted this, "I need money for an on-going medical issue that I don't care to disclose right now.   If you want to help, donate (here).  It's time to find out who my real friends are." 

DH said, "I didn't comment.  I don't think he gets it."

Yeah - FB conspicuous consumption quickly followed by aggressive pleas for $ - it's trending.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #1430 on: January 18, 2015, 10:49:26 PM »
Facebook today for VHS Tapes:

OP: “38 vhs tapes for $20 obo... Message me if you're interested”
Response: “I AM. but i need about 1 week to give you cash.”

This person needs a week to raise $20.  WTF?

Honestly i'm more perplexed that someone wants to purchase a lot of 38 vhs tapes.
Probably this American Hero:

https://www.facebook.com/TheWorldSpeedProject

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #1431 on: January 18, 2015, 11:10:53 PM »
DH's high school classmate posted loads of pictures and comments on FB while traipsing through New Orleans a few months ago on a big vacation. 

Last month HS classmate posted this, "I need money for an on-going medical issue that I don't care to disclose right now.   If you want to help, donate (here).  It's time to find out who my real friends are." 

Yeah - FB conspicuous consumption quickly followed by aggressive pleas for $ - it's trending.

I am generally compassionate towards financial woes caused my medical issues. I get irritable, however, when the person is being a spendy-pants and then asks for cash.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1432 on: January 19, 2015, 01:25:13 AM »

I am generally compassionate towards financial woes caused my medical issues. I get irritable, however, when the person is being a spendy-pants and then asks for cash.

Me too - but the two scenarios just didn't jibe.   It wouldn't have really hit the irk button if not but for the aggressive "It's time to find out who my real friends are."  And who knows what the medical condition is. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1433 on: January 19, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »

I think this is funny.    I may have responded with "What STD did you pick up while in New Orleans, man? How much did that escort cost anyway?"  If I was felling particularly irksome and somewhat anonymous.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1434 on: January 19, 2015, 01:22:33 PM »

I think this is funny.    I may have responded with "What STD did you pick up while in New Orleans, man? How much did that escort cost anyway?"  If I was felling particularly irksome and somewhat anonymous.

Or, actually your real friends will tell you what a douche you are being

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1435 on: January 19, 2015, 01:26:36 PM »
A "friend" is heavy into the beachbody coach MLM world--and I just can't look away. At this point we are only FB "friends" and I probably ought to  unfriend her, but its slightly fascinating  to me. She regularly posts about her workouts / food ( heavy workouts / light food) , but she has been posting bits about her finances--mostly hashtag style "#designedlife" and "#ideserveit" for things like quitting her day job, jetting about for beachbody trainings in different ( warmer) parts of the country and, most recently, trading in her old  car for a brand new car ( that one she commented on  something to the effect of "I know I can afford it and I deserve it!" ) Its interesting to me, the MLM set up seems designed for women to prey on their friendships, female guilt and their  friends' insecurities to make a living.
Full disclosure: I'm a beachbody coach (known affectionately as a "discount coach", because I'm only a coach to get a discount on the products.  I don't sell anything.  I have no interest in that.)

However, I think that the beach body coach thing can really work.  I know a couple of people who do it for a living.  As in, they started up slowly while working a full time job, and it turns out they were good at it.  They tend to be very upbeat, fit people, who are great at motivating others.  They've gone on to get certified to teach classes, or become nutrition counselors, or to be personal trainers. So, health and fitness has become their "thing".

So they were able to build up enough of a business to quit.  One of them makes six figures.  It took years and a lot of work to get there, and they love working at home in their pajamas.

From what I gather, the trainings and trips can be free depending on how much business you bring in.  So bonus!  You can tell the people who really like helping others get fit (and treat it as a business), and the people who only treat it as a business. 

Kudos to people who make it work as an entrepreneur.  Occasionally I get pushed to "do more for my business", and to listen to team calls, read certain books, engage people, etc.  But honestly, I'm just in it because it's helped me lose baby weight and because I believe in the products.  So I ignore the pushing.  I guess I'm not really interested in working at home in my pajamas.

I can see your point in using friendships and insecurities - but it doesn't necessarily come with all of that.  I like the beachbody programs because they've helped me get fit in a short amount of time. But frankly, they won't work for everyone.  I'd hate to see people prey on others.  Help them?  Sure.  If someone told me that they had bad knees and ankles and loved working out in a group and needed some advice, I probably would recommend they join a walking group or a swim team.

Not sure if I'm trying to make a point.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1436 on: January 20, 2015, 11:05:14 AM »
at the risk if sounding "anti-mustachian": who is the maker of these boots(brand)? Those sound hard core!

Asolo. If I were still an archaeologist, I'd need to get them re-soled--the soles wear down pretty fast when you're hiking over rocks, and in the state they're currently in, I'm not sure I'd trust them with daily cactus stabbing. But that's the beauty of the high-quality boots, you CAN get them re-soled for much less than buying a new pair, and I'm not walking over cactus anymore so I don't even need that.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1437 on: January 20, 2015, 11:10:10 AM »

Here in Denver, they sell a portion of tickets at half-price for locals, they go up in early September, I think. They sell out in literally minutes, so you have to know exactly which games you'll take and how many tickets and act fast, but my husband has a talent for this sort of thing and can usually get a pair (they're half-price nosebleeds, I think this year we paid $45/ea?). His talent also includes picking up singles right before gametime on the cheap, but that also requires being cool with going to a football game by yourself :)

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1438 on: January 20, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
Just saw a "gofundme" come-on for tattoo removal.

Does anyone know the name of the company that makes the lasers for that? They are going to make a ton of cash when the current twentysomethings finally sober up.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1439 on: January 20, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »

Does anyone know the name of the company that makes the lasers for that? They are going to make a ton of cash when the current twentysomethings finally sober up.

Jeeeeez, are tattoos really still controversial?  I thought people got over that awhile ago.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #1440 on: January 20, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »

Jeeeeez, are tattoos really still controversial?  I thought people got over that awhile ago.

Yer one-ah them antiestablishmentarians aintchee?

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1441 on: January 20, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »

No tattoos, piercings, or hair dye here sir! 

I'm just not sure why it's a millennial phenomenon to pick stupid tattoos or bad artists.  I also think that people in my generation tend to be more discerning about their tattoos, if only because they've become a more socially acceptable status symbol.  People show off their art online all the time; sure there are the few outliers that did something stupid on spring break, but the vast majority of tattooed twenty-somethings that I know were very deliberate about choosing both the art and the artist.  I don't think laser tattoo removal companies are in for a boom when we hit our 30s :)

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #1442 on: January 20, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »
Someone posted about how her kid is having "the vacation of a lifetime" in Hawaii. The kid is a 3-month-old baby.

This same person regularly posts about fancy vacations, new cars, designer purses and shoes (some for said baby). I do think her and her husband have a relatively high income, but her posts reek of materialism.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1443 on: January 21, 2015, 06:12:11 AM »
https://madcapcoffee.com/buy/coffee/cup-of-excellence

This link was on a facebookers wall.....  Underneath comments were:
FB1- I cant justify this on coffee.
OP - It coffee, and you deserve it.
How much does a regular pound of coffee cost?
Costco's whole bean estate coffees vary from good to exceptional and they're $5/lb. Stuff like Folgers preground in the tin are more like $3/lb. And even the snooty expensive stuff from the grocery store that's popped in the store and flavored right there is only $10/lb.

I recently got a large bag of the Costco coffee beans based on what everyone on this forum says. Prior to that I got a large bag of Dunkin' Donuts coffee beans from Costco because they were on sale.

The dunkin' donuts coffee was was not bad, but not great. The costco one kinda sucks honestly. It's got a sweet taste to it and it's very light. I drink my coffee black, so no cream or sugar or anything else.

Maybe the Costco one is good if you add a lot of creamer or something? Anyone have suggestions for other Costco coffee's to try?

I only drink it black. Very tasty. We buy the pre-ground, so haven't tried the beans. A lot of times, you'll get whatever flavor the previous person had if you use the in-store grinder...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1444 on: January 21, 2015, 06:16:27 AM »
Why not just overcome your caffine dependency and just drink water? Coffee and tea are so overpriced, No True Mustachian™ would ever drink them.

Which is weird because MMM drinks coffee.  So MMM is not Mustachian.  Mind = Blown.

He's a false prophet.

THE SHOE IS THE SIGN! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9mfZbTFbk

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1445 on: January 21, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »

I'm just not sure why it's a millennial phenomenon to pick stupid tattoos or bad artists.  I also think that people in my generation tend to be more discerning about their tattoos, if only because they've become a more socially acceptable status symbol.  People show off their art online all the time; sure there are the few outliers that did something stupid on spring break, but the vast majority of tattooed twenty-somethings that I know were very deliberate about choosing both the art and the artist.  I don't think laser tattoo removal companies are in for a boom when we hit our 30s :)

yeah, I agree. maybe it's just the people we hang out with though... I guess I have seen some pretty stupid/ugly/misspelled tattoos on the internet. big pieces aren't for me (I have one small tattoo on my foot, don't regret it yet) but I have friends with some neat-looking ones that they definitely put a lot of thought into.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1446 on: January 21, 2015, 07:54:03 AM »

yeah, I agree. maybe it's just the people we hang out with though... I guess I have seen some pretty stupid/ugly/misspelled tattoos on the internet. big pieces aren't for me (I have one small tattoo on my foot, don't regret it yet) but I have friends with some neat-looking ones that they definitely put a lot of thought into.
I have a friend who's now ex-wife got the ugliest ladybug I've ever seen, I wouldn't have guessed what it was. Then she got another one by the same guy and he started running out of ink, instead of saying something and finishing later he just spread out the ink he had so it looks horrible. She also got like 7 tattoos in a year, most of them not that horrible but obviously not a ton of thought put into them.

Another friend got one with a lot of thought put into it, but it's crooked. Not horribly so where everyone can tell but she can tell and it bugs her

I have one on my hip that I still love 3 years later and am trying to come up with my next one but can't quite make it right so I'm just waiting until it's perfect

I really haven't seen anything that exceptionally stupid except for the lists that make the rounds every so often, like "Top 15 Most Regrettable Tattoos" or whatever.  And I'm honestly skeptical of those -- I'm not savvy enough to be able to tell what's Photoshop vs. real if it's not pretty obvious. 

I always wanted tattoos and had a huge back piece with a lot of meaning drawn up but by the time I had enough money to pay for it, I had figured out that there were other more responsible places that money should be going (I have pretty hefty student loans).  Maybe once I'm out of debt completely I'll get around to it :)  My husband has 2 and they're both sizable but in places that can be hidden by a tshirt (he was military so they couldn't be obvious) and although one of them isn't great quality, it's not awful.  I don't think he'd ever spend money to get it removed; if anything he'd rather get it touched up.  I think that's the way most younger people would lean -- as long as their tattoo is salvageable, I'd think laser removal is more expensive than getting a good artist to fix it, plus if it's touched up then you still have an awesome(er) tattoo!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: January 21, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »
This site about Asian character tattoos gone horribly wrong is always good for a laugh: www.hanzismatter.blogspot.com

Enjoy, y'all.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1448 on: January 21, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
"I may have just bought a new truck but, in diesel... At least I have good addictions!"

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #1449 on: January 21, 2015, 09:18:10 AM »

There are certainly plenty of awful tattoos across the age spectrum.   No one age group has any superiority in body art.    Once some of the skin under tattoos begins to age......there'll be plenty of business for the doctors who do removals.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!