Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081958 times)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6400 on: June 06, 2017, 12:30:15 PM »
I'm bookmarking that link :)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6401 on: June 06, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »
That link was amazing. Someone should take away that guy's internet access for his own safety.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6402 on: June 06, 2017, 04:30:10 PM »
That link was amazing. Someone should take away that guy's internet access for his own safety.

No kidding! I was friends with a self-righteous, pompous @ss like that Robert Graves once, too. I sent him a curt message and unfriended him.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6403 on: June 06, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »
Does that mean that the terrorists won since you unfriended him? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6404 on: June 06, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »

Here's the reference for those in the dark: https://imgur.com/a/Gjcb5

Ha, thanks for posting that. Hilarious.

I was laughing so hard I was crying.

Little Aussie Battler

• Stubble
« Reply #6405 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
Pretty sure it's fake.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6406 on: June 07, 2017, 07:58:11 AM »
Pretty sure it's fake.
Yes, I can't imagine two friends staying that way if they treat each other like that.  I've unfollowed a few people who make a lot of political posts (on both sides).  Sorry, but a one liner cannot explain the complexity of the situation.  If you post something daily, it's like you're shouting over everyone else.  On the other hand, if you post something once a month, I'm willing to see what truth there is in the message.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6407 on: June 07, 2017, 08:45:28 AM »
Thanks for allowing me to see the light, JN. Laughing out loud felt good, too!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6408 on: June 07, 2017, 09:25:26 AM »
Pretty sure it's fake.
Yes, I can't imagine two friends staying that way if they treat each other like that.  I've unfollowed a few people who make a lot of political posts (on both sides).  Sorry, but a one liner cannot explain the complexity of the situation.  If you post something daily, it's like you're shouting over everyone else.  On the other hand, if you post something once a month, I'm willing to see what truth there is in the message.

I have a friend who is polar opposites to her BIL he spews hate speech on her facebook daily. For some reason she doesn't block him. It's horrible.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6409 on: June 07, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
Pretty sure it's fake.

I have a friend who is polar opposites to her BIL he spews hate speech on her facebook daily. For some reason she doesn't block him. It's horrible.
There's a whole series of exchanges like this between these two. Most of them are pretty funny.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6410 on: June 07, 2017, 08:57:09 PM »

And me. And my boss when I shared it with her. Then her boss walked in and found us sitting there giggling, with tears streaming down our cheeks, shook her head and walked away. :D

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6411 on: June 08, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »
A friend of mine from college, just posted a photo on facebook her full collection of LuLaRoe leggings. She has 99 pairs! These leggings retail for $25 a pair that is $2,475 spent on legging (in a relatively short time period as LLR has only been around a few years) not including any tax and shipping fees. Possibly she paid below retail for some pairs but based on her previous posts, I doubt it.

Also not including the leggings she has bought for her daughter, dresses and tops (she posts about all of these things regularly; the dresses run 60-80 each).

Several comments to the effect of “Oh I have at least that many” and one asking if she “needs” more from someone who is a consultant.

This phenomenon continues to amaze me. Both because I think they are expensive but also because I think they are usually pretty ugly & unflattering (not always, I will concede).

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6412 on: June 08, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
I never thought I would see it on my facebook feed, but an acquaintance from college recently posted a GoFundMe link for a fundraiser to finance his trip to the Bahamas.

Fortunately, all of his friends commented how stupid it was and how he needed to learn to manage money better if he wanted to travel. He eventually tried to convince everybody it was a joke, but I'm not so sure ...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6413 on: June 08, 2017, 10:55:57 AM »

And me. And my boss when I shared it with her. Then her boss walked in and found us sitting there giggling, with tears streaming down our cheeks, shook her head and walked away. :D
Glad to make some Sheilas giggle.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6414 on: June 15, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »
Arrrgh some people just don't help themselves...

So, long story short, my friend married a lady, and just before she could legally start working in this country, she got severely ill and is now disabled. Clearly: epic suck. No fault of theirs, obv, and it sucks. Much sympathy.

A week ago, they posted to Facebook that she had been refused for disability payments due to a burocratic thing (double plus suck, massive sympathy) and so her wife has been looking for a second job to support the the two of them and their kid (she works hard but isn't super well-paid, and 3 people on a ish salary sucks).

Which is to say: they're in a shitty situation and it's not their fault and it sucks and I sympathize.

However, since then, Facebook gems have included:
- tickets to a (big, 50$/ticket minimum) concert!
- "I just got a free upgrade in my phone so I got a new iPhone!"

And like...  I have sympathy? But good lord, if you're 3 people on one income, and you MUST have a smartphone, use your old one, stretch it out until it actually dies, get a pay-as-you-go plan... like. Cmon. My friend is posting about how she needs to make an extra 300-400$/month to make ends meet... and getting an side job is totally an option! But like. So is being sensible about money! Turn down the heat at night, less AC in summer, no expensive smartphone plans, and JUST with that you're halfway there and can spend time with your wife and kiss instead of working a second job!

... I suggested turning down the heat at night last time I visited, when they were complaning about the power bill (they pay 2x what we do. I have a 3-story country house, they have a tiny 2-bedroom apartment. And we heat time hey height 20C during winter evenings, ok, we're not hardcore...) and they were like "oh, no, we couldn't do that, that's not normal"

And at this point I'm like... look. Ladies. I sympathize? But for crying out loud, could you TRY to help yourselves? I recognize that you're in a super shitty situation and it sucks, and it's hard, but it ain't gonna get easier by not trying.

And I feel shitty for judging other people's use of money but if you're posting the problem for all to see... and there isn't a tactful way to send links to, like, budgeting software and articles... so I vent here, so that I can mind my own damn business with anyone who knows them IRL.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:46:22 AM by Kitsune »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6415 on: June 15, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »
Update time.  Same person just posted a photo of a 65" 4K LED Smart TV with the caption "present for husband".  Dare I ask if she's out of debt now?

Another update, this just keeps getting worse.  Today she wrote

"I feel like the world has fallen on my shoulders, after I get baby to sleep I'm going to call subsidy to see if we qualify, but from the sounds of it we don't so we are basically screwed.  I can't afford $530 a month for daycare, LMAO, I'm already drowning in debt as it is"

I have no words.  No. Fucking. Words.
I would have had no problem posting, You just paid three months of daycare payments for a
65" 4K LED Smart TV and now you want "me" the taxpayer to take care of your kids?
It is time you learn, the reason you are broke, is because you spend your money on your wants, instead of your families needs.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6416 on: June 15, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
The latest from trainwreck friend on FB that I've mentioned earlier:  A series of posts begging to borrow someones car for 3 weeks, for free of course (not sure what happened to hers, I am assuming it got repo'd), when no takers to that "Can I at LEAST get a free ride to court in county X, I need to be there tomorrow for an eviction hearing" aaaand then, does anyone have a room that can take us in for super super cheap.  Us is her, guy she cheated on hubby with, and EIGHT animals.

Oof.  That is something that scares me about having a kid.  I already have a dog and a husband, and it was much easier to imagine friends who could put me up for a week on their couch when it was just me.  Now that we're a much bigger package, it would be more difficult. 

How do you even keep track of eight animals?  Are they all goldfish???

I put up my friend and her 11 year old son in my one bedroom house for two weeks under exceptional circumstances (quake destroyed the city, including her house). It was a strain on everyone, especially as I was babysitting him most days because she was out trying to sort out more permanent accommodation. Later I found out she'd be bitching me out because I didn't give up my bed for them. No good deed goes unpunished, huh?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6417 on: June 16, 2017, 07:26:20 AM »
The latest from trainwreck friend on FB that I've mentioned earlier:  A series of posts begging to borrow someones car for 3 weeks, for free of course (not sure what happened to hers, I am assuming it got repo'd), when no takers to that "Can I at LEAST get a free ride to court in county X, I need to be there tomorrow for an eviction hearing" aaaand then, does anyone have a room that can take us in for super super cheap.  Us is her, guy she cheated on hubby with, and EIGHT animals.

Oof.  That is something that scares me about having a kid.  I already have a dog and a husband, and it was much easier to imagine friends who could put me up for a week on their couch when it was just me.  Now that we're a much bigger package, it would be more difficult. 

I put up my friend and her 11 year old son in my one bedroom house for two weeks under exceptional circumstances (quake destroyed the city, including her house). It was a strain on everyone, especially as I was babysitting him most days because she was out trying to sort out more permanent accommodation. Later I found out she'd be bitching me out because I didn't give up my bed for them. No good deed goes unpunished, huh?

I guess she's not as good a friend as you thought. Sorry. :(

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6418 on: June 16, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »

Yikes, I've helped out a ton of people only to have them snipe at me for such help. Like they've gone out of their way to praise me before, during, and after my help and then later I've heard that they've complained about it. That said, I believe that if they called me again in the same situation to ask for my help I likely would still be willing to help them.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6419 on: June 16, 2017, 03:56:19 PM »

Yikes, I've helped out a ton of people only to have them snipe at me for such help. Like they've gone out of their way to praise me before, during, and after my help and then later I've heard that they've complained about it. That said, I believe that if they called me again in the same situation to ask for my help I likely would still be willing to help them.

You're a nicer person than me. I just can't be bothered with folk like that. Anyway, if you ever really need to sort the wheat from the chaff, friend-wise, have an earthquake! There were a few people that I considered good friends who showed their true nature during that period.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6420 on: June 16, 2017, 07:12:25 PM »
A friend posted today "according to the calculator, I can retire 5 years after I die"

I think I'll send him a link to MMM

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6421 on: June 17, 2017, 01:48:16 AM »
A friend posted today "according to the calculator, I can retire 5 years after I die"

I am sitting here stupidly trying to figure out how that is possible :D

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6422 on: June 17, 2017, 01:58:52 AM »

Don't. Stupid is as stupid does and no one wants to do as what stupid does when stupid does the stupid thing that stupid does.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6423 on: June 17, 2017, 04:00:55 AM »

I posted a link to a social media site for a blatantly spoof article that included the proposition that people in my occupation would only be considered for retirement after they had died, and even then it could not be guaranteed. I was amazed at how many people I think of as being intelligent came back with comments like, "But how is that even possible?" Either I overestimated their intelligence or they underestimated mine. Makes me wonder whether they took some of the other bizarre propositions in the article at face value too.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6424 on: June 17, 2017, 04:10:11 PM »
A former co-worker told me about a year ago that he was saving for a house downpayment in our crazy Portland market. I was glad for him (he makes good money and has a pretty low rent currently) and so we talked about having to stop shopping and buying tech stuff (we're both nerds but he really worships at the altar of Apple).

Since then his instagram has been a constant stream of cutesy nerd stuff, Apple product of the week (watches, new phone, cases), dinners out, upgrades to his aquarium, etc etc etc. I finally asked after he posted a pic of his new Apple AirPods (MSRP $159) if he was still planning to buy a house. He got mad and said this one purchase wasn't going to stand between him and buying a house.

I really need to learn to shut my mouth!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6425 on: June 17, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »
A former co-worker told me about a year ago that he was saving for a house downpayment in our crazy Portland market. I was glad for him (he makes good money and has a pretty low rent currently) and so we talked about having to stop shopping and buying tech stuff (we're both nerds but he really worships at the altar of Apple).

Since then his instagram has been a constant stream of cutesy nerd stuff, Apple product of the week (watches, new phone, cases), dinners out, upgrades to his aquarium, etc etc etc. I finally asked after he posted a pic of his new Apple AirPods (MSRP $159) if he was still planning to buy a house. He got mad and said this one purchase wasn't going to stand between him and buying a house.

He got mad, because he knows you are right!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6426 on: June 17, 2017, 09:11:02 PM »

Well, on the surface, he's right... ONE purchase isn't the problem. He's mad because it's more like one every few days, and yeah, that WILL come between him and a house and he doesn't want to be reminded of it.

Sad thing is, once he finally realizes it, meals will have been eaten and depreciating apple products bought and there won't be much to show for it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6427 on: June 18, 2017, 12:49:12 AM »
A very dear friend of mine is more superficial than I would like, and has the peculiar habit of bragging about new cars, new houses, new toys... that all belong to his brother.

Sometimes it's on Facebook, often it's in person.

E.g.

"Fred just bought this awesome new blender. I can't wait for my blender to die so I can buy one too!"

My friend doesn't use the blender he has, which was a hand-me-down from his mum. He definitely does not need a $300 blender.

"Oh, you're new apartment isn't as big as I thought it would be. Fred and his wife just bought a new place, six bedrooms, the works."

My friend lives rent-free in a 40-year-old house. The kitchen is a bit plain, the shower screen is broken, and you have to turn the taps just the right way to get hot water, but I've never said a word because I think it's an awesome financial opportunity for him not to have to pay rent.

I know Fred and his wife, they are savvy with money and very comfortable financially, and they're also completely down to earth and would never lord their comfortable lifestyle over others. So it's odd that my friend feels the need to elevate himself on the back of their wealth.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #6428 on: June 18, 2017, 06:39:59 AM »
I would be very uncomfortable with someone posting about what I had bought. That's just...odd.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6429 on: June 18, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »

Well, on the surface, he's right... ONE purchase isn't the problem. He's mad because it's more like one every few days, and yeah, that WILL come between him and a house and he doesn't want to be reminded of it.

Sad thing is, once he finally realizes it, meals will have been eaten and depreciating apple products bought and there won't be much to show for it.

Don't worry guys, the purchase isn't a big deal because he told me he's going to spend way more on a big trip that's coming up. <eyeroll>

mustachepungoeshere, that's uncomfortable. I hate the whole compare to others mentality that people have to measure their own "success."

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6430 on: June 18, 2017, 09:21:16 PM »
Just saw this on facebook
Has anyone done a $500 loan through nimble before? What were your repayments looking at/how long for?

Trying to find the best loan company with great repayment prices 1-2 years to pay off the rest of my wedding

A few people suggested having a cheaper wedding, but that is apparently impossible. She "needs" a loan, other people have suggested selling things for the cash but also a no go. Hopefully she can get a loan through a regular bank instead of paying the 47% nimble charges

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6431 on: June 18, 2017, 11:18:29 PM »
mustachepungoeshere, that's uncomfortable. I hate the whole compare to others mentality that people have to measure their own "success."

Exactly. Intellectually I know that I have so much ammo to push back with, but I don't care who has nicer stuff.

I feel sorry for my friend that his priorities are skewed. I'll keep working on him...

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6432 on: June 19, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »
Someone told me that driving a used minivan instead of a new SUV was grounds for taking away my "man card".

I told him that if he thinks a "man card" comes from something that can be purchased, maybe he should reconsider how he's defining "man".

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6433 on: June 19, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
Someone told me that driving a used minivan instead of a new SUV was grounds for taking away my "man card".

I told him that if he thinks a "man card" comes from something that can be purchased, maybe he should reconsider how he's defining "man".
Ask him if he can fit 4x8 sheets of plywood in his SUV.  Then, when he admits that he can't, you can state that "buying a vehicle that can't haul plywood is grounds for taking away your man card."

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #6434 on: June 19, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »

Maybe you can apply for your "man card" again when you're sitting around enjoying your financial independence/early retirement instead of being a wage slave.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6435 on: June 19, 2017, 01:15:04 PM »

... Every dude I've heard say this is also the kind of dude who gets an overpriced nonsense car 'to impress the ladies'. Y'know what impresses the ladies? Politeness, being treated like people, guys who have hobbies and actual life skills, and skills in... certain other areas. Guess it's easier to buy a new car than develop that... *snark*

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6436 on: June 19, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6437 on: June 19, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »
Solon, I lived with someone who wanted to do that until a month ago. Meanwhile, I was freezing. I put a stop to that VERY quickly.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6438 on: June 19, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
Sleeping in cold room is good for you. A cold room with a blanket/pajamas is actually the optimal way to sleep.
http://time.com/3602415/sleep-problems-room-temperature/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-christopher-winter/best-temperature-for-sleep_b_3705049.html

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6439 on: June 19, 2017, 03:14:39 PM »
I'll sometimes put the AC on something low like 60 when I'm staying at a hotel room.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6440 on: June 19, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »
Wow, we just started turning the thermostat down to 77 at night (had been 78). I think I'd get hypothermia at 60!

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6441 on: June 19, 2017, 03:50:35 PM »
I keep mine at 80 during the day to knock some of the humidity off. Turn it down to 76 at night if I'm feeling spendy

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6442 on: June 19, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »
I didn't mean that I do that. I just saw it on Facebook!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6443 on: June 19, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »
I try to get the house really cool at night.  We have time of use pricing, so I never want to run the AC during the day.  If I get it cool enough at night and close the house up for the day, it stays coolish.  Cool nights the house will cool on its own.  Hot nights I run the AC

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #6444 on: June 19, 2017, 05:28:33 PM »
I find it very difficult to sleep without the weight of a blanket (and a room cool enough to tolerate one), so this I understand... *shamed*

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #6445 on: June 19, 2017, 08:33:23 PM »
I find it very difficult to sleep without the weight of a blanket (and a room cool enough to tolerate one), so this I understand... *shamed*
Same! I saw some click bait about a rope net blanket thing that gives you the weighty feeling without the heat, but I didn't click it. I do think about it sometimes when my husband is picking on my four blankets in the summer. Luckily I'm not in a warm location :-)

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6446 on: June 19, 2017, 08:35:07 PM »
I have an open knitt blanket that I've had since I was a baby. I think it's a queen sized one ...
Anyway, it has the weight of a heavy sheet and allows airflow without sticking to my skin. Perfect for warm nights.

-edit-
Lots of spelling edits. For some reason my phone has been swapping out homophones lately.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:39:17 PM by JordanOfGilead »

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6447 on: June 20, 2017, 01:32:20 AM »
Some of you people make me feel spendy. :( I don't bother changing my A/C temperature unless I'm going to be away. I have it set at 76.

FWIW, I used to keep it kept at 74. It was too cold for me but my husband liked it. Not long after moving into this house we adjusted to 76. He barely noticed the difference and appreciates the higher than expected savings. I appreciate not being cold all the time. I am definitely fine with going warmer, but it's a process. :) I'll try asking to go up to 77 or 78 soon.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6448 on: June 20, 2017, 05:28:59 AM »
Some of you people make me feel spendy. :( I don't bother changing my A/C temperature unless I'm going to be away. I have it set at 76.

FWIW, I used to keep it kept at 74. It was too cold for me but my husband liked it. Not long after moving into this house we adjusted to 76. He barely noticed the difference and appreciates the higher than expected savings. I appreciate not being cold all the time. I am definitely fine with going warmer, but it's a process. :) I'll try asking to go up to 77 or 78 soon.

We still go down to 74 at night. Lots of times we are running the AC as much to get the humidity out of the air inside as we are to cool the air. I find 77-78 pretty pleasant unless it's sticky (which it always is here in the summer).

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6449 on: June 20, 2017, 05:46:12 AM »
This might be a stupid question (have never had AC) but would a dehumidifier help in that regard? We had a flood once, and used one to dry out carpets. As I say it may be a stupid question - perhaps they are as expensive to run as AC, or perhaps the mechanism for drying the air is actually exactly the same thing so they are interchangeable.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!