Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081762 times)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3650 on: December 24, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3651 on: December 24, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »

One thing I've noticed on my feed is 3 families who complain about having no money (one I know has $40k+debt) go out to dinner once or twice a week.  They post these dinners on FB, an appetizer, each with a full entree, & dessert.  Sometimes even a couple glasses of wine/beer.  Then they talk about how it was so much food they couldn't eat everything and wished they liked leftovers because there was enough for another meal.  It boggles my mind that they are paying $60-70/week on one meal and throwing half of it in the trash.

You know, sometimes you got to show and not just lead by example.  Basically cook an affordable but slightly upscale dinner at home for $20, and use a couple $20 bills as napkins.  More baller use of $60 than Applebees.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3652 on: December 24, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »

One thing I've noticed on my feed is 3 families who complain about having no money (one I know has $40k+debt) go out to dinner once or twice a week.  They post these dinners on FB, an appetizer, each with a full entree, & dessert.  Sometimes even a couple glasses of wine/beer.  Then they talk about how it was so much food they couldn't eat everything and wished they liked leftovers because there was enough for another meal.  It boggles my mind that they are paying $60-70/week on one meal and throwing half of it in the trash.

You know, sometimes you got to show and not just lead by example.  Basically cook an affordable but slightly upscale dinner at home for $20, and use a couple $20 bills as napkins.  More baller use of $60 than Applebees.

I took my dad out to Red Robin a few weeks ago because he was craving a burger. It was a Wednesday and the place was PACKED, there was a 25 minute wait for the two of us. My dad just kept wondering why people were going out, he kept looking around as if anticipating an explanation, like if someone was having a birthday or a family gathering or a business celebration of some sort.

He didn't believe me when I told him that most of the families here likely come on a regular basis or go out several times a week. The notion of spending that much money when you can cook perfectly good food at home was baffling to him.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3653 on: December 24, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »

I took my dad out to Red Robin a few weeks ago because he was craving a burger. It was a Wednesday and the place was PACKED, there was a 25 minute wait for the two of us. My dad just kept wondering why people were going out, he kept looking around as if anticipating an explanation, like if someone was having a birthday or a family gathering or a business celebration of some sort.

He didn't believe me when I told him that most of the families here likely come on a regular basis or go out several times a week. The notion of spending that much money when you can cook perfectly good food at home was baffling to him.

It ruins eating out for me period. I just can't relax and enjoy it when I know I could have made it for a 1/4 of the cost and have it taste the same, if not better. The best food I ate in a restaurant was on a cruise ship in one of the specialty bistros. With Costco provided dining credits, we paid $10 for it. I would have paid happily 10 times that. But that is the very rare exception. Most food out I end up pissed that I wasted that much money on it.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3654 on: December 25, 2015, 09:17:22 PM »

It ruins eating out for me period. I just can't relax and enjoy it when I know I could have made it for a 1/4 of the cost and have it taste the same, if not better. The best food I ate in a restaurant was on a cruise ship in one of the specialty bistros. With Costco provided dining credits, we paid $10 for it. I would have paid happily 10 times that. But that is the very rare exception. Most food out I end up pissed that I wasted that much money on it.

Waiting in a crowded noisy foyer thingy for some crappy, overpriced, under/overcooked food and extremely overpriced drinks totaling >$100 for the two of us vs. Being in the privacy of our own home with a bottle of wine and some music. Where we can prepare and enjoy a delicious meal and do it all Inight our pj's if we so chose for <$100 and we don't have to worry about driving home if the wine is really strong ;). I'll pick option two any time.

The inlaws always insist on taking us out to eat few times a year and I always catch crap for ordering the "simplest" thing I can find on the menu. This usually ends up being a cheeseburger or some type of sandwich thing. I always get told, "it's ok we are paying you can order steak if you want." To which I reply, "it's ok I'm just really craving a cheeseburger or whatever I happen to be getting." What I really want to say is, "thanks but no thanks, chances are this restaurant would disappoint me in the ability to simply cook a hunk of beef to the desired level of med-rare I enjoy. Therefore I would much rather order a cheeseburger which even fucked up will still be good enough to eat. I really appreciate the gesture  and enjoy spending time with you however if you wanted to. We could save some money, have more time to visit, and enjoy a better meal, if we stopped by the grocery store got steaks and a 6 pack , went to the back patio, chilled and grilled."

purplish

• Stubble
« Reply #3655 on: December 25, 2015, 10:46:32 PM »
I made a thread before about this friend, but I have a "friend" who is poor, trying to get on free government housing, but is by all accounts a healthy capable man.  He refuses to work because he "has anxiety", but also will not see a therapist, has never even tried medication, and will not try any work from home position.  He is however, very able to go out drinking with friends all the time.  I'm very compassionate to people with mental illness, but it's hard to have empathy when someone refuses to help themself.  Anyhow, I've distanced myself from him for various reasons (including this).

Lately he's been posting on FB pictures of his latest collection.  He keeps buying these toys, and literally has over 100 now.  I'm sure he's spent several hundred at this point.  In fact now he made his own youtube channel, which he posts on FB, dedicated to him OPENING BOXES of crap he buys online each week/month.  Like literally the videos are of him opening boxes and taking out all the stuff he bought, and showing it to the camera.  I watched it and cringed the whole time.  I very much am for helping people who are in need of help, but this guy is using his gov. benefits to buy toys and amazon.com crap constantly :/   What a waste.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:53:40 PM by purplish »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3656 on: December 25, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »
I very much am for helping people who are in need of help, but this guy is using his gov. benefits to buy toys and amazon.com crap constantly :/   What a waste.
Isn't that the idea behind QE ?

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #3657 on: December 26, 2015, 03:44:22 AM »
I made a thread before about this friend, but I have a "friend" who is poor, trying to get on free government housing, but is by all accounts a healthy capable man.  He refuses to work because he "has anxiety", but also will not see a therapist, has never even tried medication, and will not try any work from home position.  He is however, very able to go out drinking with friends all the time.  I'm very compassionate to people with mental illness, but it's hard to have empathy when someone refuses to help themself.  Anyhow, I've distanced myself from him for various reasons (including this).

Lately he's been posting on FB pictures of his latest collection.  He keeps buying these toys, and literally has over 100 now.  I'm sure he's spent several hundred at this point.  In fact now he made his own youtube channel, which he posts on FB, dedicated to him OPENING BOXES of crap he buys online each week/month.  Like literally the videos are of him opening boxes and taking out all the stuff he bought, and showing it to the camera.  I watched it and cringed the whole time.  I very much am for helping people who are in need of help, but this guy is using his gov. benefits to buy toys and amazon.com crap constantly :/   What a waste.

Its called "unboxing" apparently its something that can actually make you money.... http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toy-unboxing-boom-20151224-story.html

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3658 on: December 26, 2015, 10:43:18 AM »

Waiting in a crowded noisy foyer thingy for some crappy, overpriced, under/overcooked food and extremely overpriced drinks totaling >$100 for the two of us vs. Being in the privacy of our own home with a bottle of wine and some music. Where we can prepare and enjoy a delicious meal and do it all Inight our pj's if we so chose for <$100 and we don't have to worry about driving home if the wine is really strong ;). I'll pick option two any time.

The inlaws always insist on taking us out to eat few times a year and I always catch crap for ordering the "simplest" thing I can find on the menu. This usually ends up being a cheeseburger or some type of sandwich thing. I always get told, "it's ok we are paying you can order steak if you want." To which I reply, "it's ok I'm just really craving a cheeseburger or whatever I happen to be getting." What I really want to say is, "thanks but no thanks, chances are this restaurant would disappoint me in the ability to simply cook a hunk of beef to the desired level of med-rare I enjoy. Therefore I would much rather order a cheeseburger which even fucked up will still be good enough to eat. I really appreciate the gesture  and enjoy spending time with you however if you wanted to. We could save some money, have more time to visit, and enjoy a better meal, if we stopped by the grocery store got steaks and a 6 pack , went to the back patio, chilled and grilled."

Ah, yes.  Last night we enjoyed home-baked rosemary bread, red wine, and beef stew.  It would have been fabulous if the 9 year old didn't have the stomach flu and the toddler wasn't refusing to eat.  Of course eating out would have been worse!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3659 on: December 26, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »

Ah, yes.  Last night we enjoyed home-baked rosemary bread, red wine, and beef stew.  It would have been fabulous if the 9 year old didn't have the stomach flu and the toddler wasn't refusing to eat.  Of course eating out would have been worse!

For Christmas Eve, I had my in-laws over, and made traditional Québécois food for 7 adults and 2 toddlers (tourtière and cretons, plus fresh bread, salad, and wine for the adults... And Christmas cookies for dessert if anyone felt so inclined). Ingredients for the main meal cost 22$. Wine was 20$ for two bottles. Everyone was well-fed and the food was excellent, and we have leftovers for tonight (and probably also tomorrow, to be honest...)

Meanwhile, half of my colleagues outsourced their holiday cooking to the local catering school, which will fix you up and box up a fairly similar meal for "only" 10$/person (and you still have to buy the wine... But they make wine list recommendations, starting at 20$/bottle, sigh).

Seriously: 2 hours of cooking, done the morning of, and we had an amazing dinner for 1/4 the cost and with many meals of leftovers. And I'm pretty sure it was tastier. AND I didn't have to go fetch food at the caterers on the 24th.

purplish

• Stubble
« Reply #3660 on: December 26, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »

Its called "unboxing" apparently its something that can actually make you money.... http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toy-unboxing-boom-20151224-story.html

Oh weird.  Well, trust me he's not earning anything from it.  And I'm sure he's still complaining how poor he is- this was my biggest source of contention, the fact that he will constantly say he is poor and can't do anything, except spend hundreds on toys apparently and go out drinking.  He was also ranting on FB about being angry how long his free housing was taking, and how he might just have to get an apartment with a roommate instead if they didn't hurry up.  Umm.... if you can just do that why do you need housing?  Luckily for him however, the housing did come through.  Now he can have his own apartment, filled with toys (and probably still complain he is poor).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 12:41:54 PM by purplish »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3661 on: December 27, 2015, 08:38:41 AM »
"Been shopping since 11am. I'm done! Chill time." (posted around 10:30pm)

Picture says "Girl heaven. That was fun", plus some other picture of turning stacks of Benjamins into clothing.

Holy shit. ~12 hours of shopping? How is that even a thing?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3662 on: December 27, 2015, 12:20:53 PM »
Posts like these are great for helping me be grateful for my wife, who absolutely loathes shopping, especially for clothes.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3663 on: December 28, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
Posts like these are great for helping me be grateful for my wife, who absolutely loathes shopping, especially for clothes.
Same here. I just showed this post to my wife and she said, "Yep. I hate it, I hate it."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3664 on: December 28, 2015, 04:55:46 PM »
Same here. I just showed this post to my wife and she said, "Yep. I hate it, I hate it."
I also hate it, which is why this year was a little difficult, as we opted for:
Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear
Something to read

For my husband, I looked at the tags of his ratty sweatpants and an older shirt and ordered replacements online.

For me, I told him not to bother.  Instead, he bought me a pair of fuzzy Cookie Monster PJs.  I kid you not. (They are so comfy!!  And warm!!)  I never would have bought these for myself, because I sleep in shorts/ tshirts/ sweats.  And because I'm 45.  But I love them!

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #3665 on: December 28, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »
Someone posted the "52 week challenge" on Facebook. Save $1 in week one, $2 in week two, and so on until $52 in week 52. People suggested starting backwards because $50/week is really hard toward the end of the year.

I'm happy that people are talking about savings, but I think it's time to take a longer look at finances if $50/wk is a problem.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3666 on: December 28, 2015, 05:37:05 PM »
Someone posted the "52 week challenge" on Facebook. Save $1 in week one, $2 in week two, and so on until $52 in week 52. People suggested starting backwards because $50/week is really hard toward the end of the year.

I'm happy that people are talking about savings, but I think it's time to take a longer look at finances if $50/wk is a problem.

I actually just saw this same thing, someone was asking for a quick and easy way to save $2000 for a holiday. it was about $60 a week before her holiday but she declared that too hard. So I am not too sure if she will be successful. Someone suggested just getting a credit card so I hope she doesn't do that

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3667 on: December 28, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »

I can't fathom 12 hours, but once I went shopping with my step mother in law, and she spent about two hours in Macy's. I thought I was going to die. She wanted my opinion on each article of clothing she tried on, and she would just stare at the racks of clothing FOREVER. It was sooooo painful.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3668 on: December 28, 2015, 06:46:13 PM »

I can't fathom 12 hours, but once I went shopping with my step mother in law, and she spent about two hours in Macy's. I thought I was going to die. She wanted my opinion on each article of clothing she tried on, and she would just stare at the racks of clothing FOREVER. It was sooooo painful.

Dear God, but I know your pain!

When I was in junior high my mother would take me clothes shopping.  We would look at EVERY garment in kids section in EVERY size.  We didn't even know people with kids in many of the sizes.
It took forever and a day to do this.  I told my mother I would wear whatever she bought for me with absolutely zero complaints if I only did not have go along.  And I scrupulously kept my part of the bargain.  I wore polyester.  I wore leisure suits.   I didn't own a pair of jeans until grad school when my girlfriend (now my wife of 33 years!) bought me a pair for Christmas.  (My mom thought jeans were farmer's clothes.)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3669 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:13 PM »
The worst part of mall shopping-- when it must be tolerated-- is that alcohol is generally unavailable.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3670 on: December 29, 2015, 08:23:19 AM »
I wore polyester.  I wore leisure suits.   I didn't own a pair of jeans until grad school when my girlfriend (now my wife of 33 years!) bought me a pair for Christmas.  (My mom thought jeans were farmer's clothes.)

hahahaha - that made me chuckle. funny stuff.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3671 on: December 29, 2015, 08:23:49 AM »
The only person I enjoy shopping with is my husband. And only if we're shopping for ME--that man takes forever to choose a sweater vest. But he's awesome at picking out clothes for me and he's a dude, so he's super-efficient!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3672 on: December 29, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »

OHHH - you just helped me remember a "repressed memory" of being a kid and shopping with the women in my family (mother and grandmothers) for school clothes decades ago. It seemed like hours of hunting for the right clothes, the trying on of said clothes, and then returning home to try them on again so my grandmother could mark them and hem the legs. A whole day wasted to my kid brain. The longer it went on the more I wanted to flee out the door but there was nowhere to hide at my grandparents' house.

Thank some deity I wasn't born a girl. We might still be at the mall... ;)

Might be why I avoid those places to this day. I could easily become one of those cartoon characters with a dozen identical outfits and be happy.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:47:29 AM by Joe Average »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3673 on: December 29, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »
The worst part of mall shopping-- when it must be tolerated-- is that alcohol is generally unavailable.

I feel your pain. There should be beer taps at every end of every major mall.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3674 on: December 29, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »

Expect, I don't really trust big masses of people around alcohol. The crazies among them tend to prosper and chaos ensues. Case in point....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kentucky-s-mall-st-matthews-shuts-down-after-brawls-involving-n486341

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3675 on: December 29, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »

Expect, I don't really trust big masses of people around alcohol. The crazies among them tend to prosper and chaos ensues. Case in point....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kentucky-s-mall-st-matthews-shuts-down-after-brawls-involving-n486341

Plenty of people pay to see fights, I would be down for some free entertainment ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3676 on: December 29, 2015, 09:54:17 AM »

Plenty of people pay to see fights, I would be down for some free entertainment ;)

For some reason, I feel like sharing quotes today. So here's one.

"I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out." - Rodney Dangerfield

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3677 on: December 29, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »

LOL!!!  Me too!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3678 on: December 30, 2015, 01:53:19 AM »
Someone I know posted an image to a friend's page showing a couple lounging on a beach with the caption, "This could be us,

BUT WE HAVE, CAR INSURANCE, KIDS, GROCERIES, BILL"

And the person responded with, "_____ has school also."

I honestly can't imagine what they are trying to say, I'm fairly sure that that couple has their own bills and things going in their life. I almost want to post that, but not really wanting to get into it with anyone on FB anymore.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3679 on: December 30, 2015, 02:37:53 AM »
Another person I know posted something bashing welfare recipients, I had to really bite my tongue because he commented to me that his family was on government assistance for much of his youth. Of course, this is a guy that's in his 30s and hasn't invested anything. When I tried offering some advice on opening an account with a company like Vanguard, he quizzed about minimums to open an account and then when I told him it was $1000, he scoffed, "that's not going to earn me enough, I'm just going to wait until I find a financial analyst that's willing to invest a $1000 for me." I honestly didn't know how to respond, so I just went back to playing with my friend's dog, who's an absolute sweetheart.

E16sean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3680 on: December 30, 2015, 03:10:05 AM »

The mall near me in  London has a pub, four bars and a number of other places to drink. It makes the whole experience more enjoyable tolerable.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3681 on: December 30, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »
"Somtimes cars explode. But when they live 6 months longer than expected...and you're about to leave the country anyways, that's not bad timing..God's faithful!"

This is the same person that called everyone she knows multiple times to get money so that she can travel the world, but it was for a 'cause,' and then after getting it all, kept saying that it was only through God's will that she got the money.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3682 on: December 30, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
Maybe more Americans need to travel to third world countries and witness "survival" (life).

I'm sure a few would come back with all the wrong explanations of why those people have such a tough life. Then those Americans would head over to the mall to catch up on some shopping for themselves. -eye rolling-

We (most of us) have it SO GOOD in this country. So many of us don't even know how good we have it. Tough to listen to someone complain about how tough their lives are b/c something broke at their house or they spent too much money on this or that.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #3683 on: December 30, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »
We (most of us) have it SO GOOD in this country. So many of us don't even know how good we have it. Tough to listen to someone complain about how tough their lives are b/c something broke at their house or they spent too much money on this or that.

Pretty much. I have central heat, indoor plumbing, and hot water. Those were all luxuries for most of America 100 years ago. I know way too many people who would "absolutely die" if you had them go use an outhouse...

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #3684 on: December 30, 2015, 11:55:49 PM »
A Facebook friend made a semi-serious enquiry about crowdfunding for new tires. That it's so hard when the need drops up during Christmas.

FFS, tire wear is predictable. Not to mention a normal maintenance item.  I wonder if she'd like to crowd-fund oil changes next?

Ugh

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3685 on: December 31, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »
Comments on an article about new laws and policies Jan 1, 2016, including TFSA changes....

So to get an economy going you need your citizens to spend money. When everyone is putting their money on a TFSA then the government doesn't get to collect taxes on any of that and our economy suffers for it because the money isn't going to businesses and so on and so on. The government needs to find the money somewhere and this is a rather minor adjustment. They could have just done away with the TFSA all together. You still have other ways to hide your money

Anyone using tsfa is gotta be someone who believes in unicorns, the Interest rates are so low that saving money in one is useless anyways

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about the TFSA contributions. It's not deductible on your taxable income and it's not a tax credit. It's a safety net for money that can be taken out anytime without it being taxed. Besides, you could put your money in a basic savings account if you want to save more. Also the interest rate on a TFSA is so low due to the economy, you're not going to get a massive return back.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3686 on: December 31, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »
So this investing = depositing money in a bank account misconception spans the world.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3687 on: December 31, 2015, 10:44:25 AM »
And the result is a pathetic $1378 (no interest).  Excel is your friend.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3688 on: December 31, 2015, 10:51:58 AM »

How about a "366 day challenge" (for the leap year)?  Result would be $67,161 :-)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3689 on: December 31, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »

How about a "366 day challenge" (for the leap year)?  Result would be $67,161 :-)
Glad I'm not the only one that calculated that number in the last few minutes!  Be willing to bet I'm also not the only one here for whom that figure would be less than the planned stashing for 2016.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3690 on: December 31, 2015, 11:32:19 AM »

Post it in the Gauntlet section, I'm in. ;)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3691 on: December 31, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »
From radio station's facebook page.

This stat made me a little sad: The number one "resolution" for Canadians this year is to pay off debt.

Obviously paying off your credit card, or student loans, or mortgage, or whatever it is you owe cash to, is important. However, put some money aside for you.

Travel the world. Go to that place you always wanted to check out. There's so many destinations to see, oodles of foods to eat, and a plethora of cool drinks to wash it down with. So please, make more of an effort to do that in 2016!

I get it... Go travel. But that's hardly a resolution!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3692 on: December 31, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »
From radio station's facebook page.

This stat made me a little sad: The number one "resolution" for Canadians this year is to pay off debt.

Obviously paying off your credit card, or student loans, or mortgage, or whatever it is you owe cash to, is important. However, put some money aside for you.

Travel the world. Go to that place you always wanted to check out. There's so many destinations to see, oodles of foods to eat, and a plethora of cool drinks to wash it down with. So please, make more of an effort to do that in 2016!

I get it... Go travel. But that's hardly a resolution!
Paying down debt *is* putting money aside for me. It's a dollar-for-dollar increase in my net worth.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3693 on: December 31, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
@LeRainDrop  - and good to know I am not the only one either, I guess I just posted faster  ;-) 

I'm retired and I'm still saving more than the $1378.  Lots more.  Some is for soon-to-come planned spending, some is for long-term.  I still have lots of room in my TFSA to safely tuck it away.

366 day challenge - that is more than my net income, not doing it.  But doing the 52 week challenge and starting at $10, not $1, should be feasible for lots of people, not just mustachians.  $13,780?  Or $5 start for those who are still paying down debt?  $6,890?

Glad I'm not the only one that calculated that number in the last few minutes!  Be willing to bet I'm also not the only one here for whom that figure would be less than the planned stashing for 2016.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3694 on: December 31, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »
Friend writes:  "At the #Nantucket new years resolution wall where people write in their resolutions for 2016...and found this gem. Happy New Year!"  I think my friend is referring to the resolution in the center of the photo as the "gem," but I gotta say that the person who wrote in the upper left is the one who really nailed it!

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #3695 on: January 01, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »

In Australia there is more likely to be an alcohol shop at a mall more often than not (though I can think of a couple that don't).  We tend to have your supermarkets in them, and generally there is an alcohol shop near the supermarkets (if not in them).

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3696 on: January 05, 2016, 08:18:02 PM »

But also, knowing formulas such as 1 + 2 + 3 + .... n = n(n+1)/2 are also helpful.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3697 on: January 05, 2016, 08:32:31 PM »
But also, knowing formulas such as 1 + 2 + 3 + .... n = n(n+1)/2 are also helpful.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3698 on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »
This image was posted on a friend's facebook page.

A bunch of their other friends were chiming in.

It was really sad because none of them seemed to think it was actually possible.

I posted a link to this website's getting started article and asked them "Why settle for a fantasy when this website will teach you how to make it real life?"

I might as well as remained silent.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #3699 on: January 06, 2016, 05:28:17 AM »
This image was posted on a friend's facebook page.

A bunch of their other friends were chiming in.

It was really sad because none of them seemed to think it was actually possible.

I posted a link to this website's getting started article and asked them "Why settle for a fantasy when this website will teach you how to make it real life?"

I might as well as remained silent.

What is sad to me is that everyone thinks its not possible, which, leads me to believe it's something they actually want but no one will to anything different. People that don't like there life situation (whatever it is) and do zero/nil/nada to change it, even in a small way, make no sense to me. I just cant seem to wrap my head around the lack of in-action.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!