Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082621 times)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3700 on: January 06, 2016, 06:16:01 AM »
This image was posted on a friend's facebook page.

A bunch of their other friends were chiming in.

It was really sad because none of them seemed to think it was actually possible.

I posted a link to this website's getting started article and asked them "Why settle for a fantasy when this website will teach you how to make it real life?"

I might as well as remained silent.

What is sad to me is that everyone thinks its not possible, which, leads me to believe it's something they actually want but no one will to anything different. People that don't like there life situation (whatever it is) and do zero/nil/nada to change it, even in a small way, make no sense to me. I just cant seem to wrap my head around the lack of in-action.

I read it and was like "hey, that's my life, I must be awesome!". Inertia is the thing people always forget about. It's easier to keep the routine you have, even if it makes you unhappy, than it is to take the risk of changing that routine.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3701 on: January 06, 2016, 06:28:50 AM »

How about a "366 day challenge" (for the leap year)?  Result would be $67,161 :-)
Post it in the Gauntlet section, I'm in. ;)
A noble challenge, but sadly more than I gross in a year.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3702 on: January 10, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »
Actual post on my facebook feed this morning.

Does anyone possibly have any extra formula? I could trade you something for it even?
 I work weekends and my shifts were canceled this weekend last minute, and I get paid as I work, and I was relying on it.
 I have formula, but worried it won't be enough to last until this coming weekend when I work again.

This just makes me so, so sad.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3703 on: January 10, 2016, 06:53:39 PM »
Actual post on my facebook feed this morning.

Does anyone possibly have any extra formula? I could trade you something for it even?
 I work weekends and my shifts were canceled this weekend last minute, and I get paid as I work, and I was relying on it.
 I have formula, but worried it won't be enough to last until this coming weekend when I work again.

This just makes me so, so sad.

Sad, and a bit mad (which is tempered by not knowing this person or their specific situation, some people really do end up behind the 8ball even without consistently making egregiously horribly stupid decisions).
I see this often on our local FB swap page.  Though there are different tones.  There are people who try to get everything for free, and people who are trying to trade.  One woman crochets hats and makes jams.  So I've swapped my jam jars (which, let's face it, I'm not going to can jam for a long time), for boys clothing.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3704 on: January 11, 2016, 07:53:59 AM »
You're right - impossible to know that person's situation but what about getting a second job???

At one time it seemed like I had every spare moment earmarked for job, university, oddjobs, etc.

Seems to me like moms ought to pair up / team up to swap childcare for the freedom to work more often. We have a friend that does this. Works well for them.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3705 on: January 11, 2016, 08:10:39 AM »
You're right - impossible to know that person's situation but what about getting a second job???

How would that help if the issue is a shift getting canceled though. It's unlikely you can call and say "hey I have free time, can I get scheduled for tonight?" to your other job to make up the lost earnings.

It does drive me crazy when people ask for really expensive things, but want to pay next to nothing. I sometimes have to hide the  facebook buy/sells because they get so annoying. And all the damn MLM advertising (which is against the rules, but people still do it.)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3706 on: January 11, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »

Why does anyone follow the buy/sell/trade FB pages?  I have never even looked at them but from what I have read here they seem much more trouble then they are worth.  Seems like CL would be much less hassle and stress than dealing with all these people.  Are the deals with 2$ for a half gallon of home made jam that good?

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3707 on: January 11, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »
Why does anyone follow the buy/sell/trade FB pages?  I have never even looked at them but from what I have read here they seem much more trouble then they are worth.  Seems like CL would be much less hassle and stress than dealing with all these people.  Are the deals with 2$ for a half gallon of home made jam that good?

It seems to vary by region. My wife has had much more luck selling off old baby toys, children's clothing, etc. on the local Facebook page than on Craigslist. Anonymous CL users are far more likely to no-show or make absurdly low offers.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3708 on: January 11, 2016, 08:55:03 AM »

Craigslist is a giant PITA, in my opinion. I've had much better luck both buying and selling on FB. Plus the FB group only approves local members.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3709 on: January 11, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »

At one time it seemed like I had every spare moment earmarked for job, university, oddjobs, etc.

Seems to me like moms ought to pair up / team up to swap childcare for the freedom to work more often. We have a friend that does this. Works well for them.
I'm sorry, but this is a bit out of touch.

First, having shift cancels suggests that her shifts might change.  If that is the case, good luck finding a SECOND job that will work around the FIRST job.

And the formula request means she has an infant - again, good luck finding last minute child care, or being able to work two part time jobs around child care, even with an SO.

(Yes, one could argue that maybe she shouldn't have had a child, all water under the bridge at this point).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3710 on: January 11, 2016, 09:31:28 AM »

It seems to vary by region. My wife has had much more luck selling off old baby toys, children's clothing, etc. on the local Facebook page than on Craigslist. Anonymous CL users are far more likely to no-show or make absurdly low offers.
This, and there's the creepy factor with CL.  Facebook is supposed to help because it's not anonymous.

I've found that as far as no-shows and haggling, FB is as bad as CL.  The difference is that at least one of the FB sales pages, if you "no show" 3 times, you get removed from the page.

I got my kids' bunk beds on the FB page.  Pretty much exactly the kind that I'd planned on getting "some day" (with a separate set of stairs with drawers).

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3711 on: January 11, 2016, 09:33:12 AM »

In our area, Craigslist isn't active at all. Kijiji and FB are where you can find anything. Kijiji for the bigger things (carpet, car, trailer... anything you'd expect to spend over 50$ on used), and Facebook for the smaller things (recent acquisitions from the local facebook group: a nice jewelry box big enough to actually store my jewelry - 5$, compared to over 80$ new. An 8x10 wool carpet in excellent condition, 25$. A HUGE bin of crayons, pencils, and art supplies from a woman closing an at-home daycare: 20$.) Depends on your area and what you're looking for.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3712 on: January 11, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »

I'm sorry, but this is a bit out of touch.

First, having shift cancels suggests that her shifts might change.  If that is the case, good luck finding a SECOND job that will work around the FIRST job.

And the formula request means she has an infant - again, good luck finding last minute child care, or being able to work two part time jobs around child care, even with an SO.

(Yes, one could argue that maybe she shouldn't have had a child, all water under the bridge at this point).

No - its not out of touch.

I'm not talking about working more hours for your hourly employer. My part time employers when I was young seldom offered more hours than I already was scheduled for unless I took on coworker's shifts. Side gigs was where the money was.

I washed cars, cleaned out basements and garages, mowed yards, etc. After a while I had more work than I had time.

Maybe this is the difference between living in an urban environment and the flyover states where I am. There is always side gig work to be had. I have heard of women doing the same things - outdoor work, newly vacant apartment cleaning gigs, interior/exterior painting, etc. 

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3713 on: January 11, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »

In our area, Craigslist isn't active at all. Kijiji and FB are where you can find anything. Kijiji for the bigger things (carpet, car, trailer... anything you'd expect to spend over 50$ on used), and Facebook for the smaller things (recent acquisitions from the local facebook group: a nice jewelry box big enough to actually store my jewelry - 5$, compared to over 80$ new. An 8x10 wool carpet in excellent condition, 25$. A HUGE bin of crayons, pencils, and art supplies from a woman closing an at-home daycare: 20$.) Depends on your area and what you're looking for.

+1  Also, I live in a slightly more rural area.  We have some decently sized towns nearby, but the closest city center is 45 minutes away on some pretty  major highways.  So CL means that most likely you're driving somewhere around 40 mins to 1 hr 20 mins to get to whoever is selling the item you want.  Unless it is a HUGE deal, I'm just not driving that far. Our county has a facebook group, and each post has to first state which small town they're in so I know in the first second just how far I might be driving.  Plus, fb is good for used kids stuff and random pieces of small furniture.  We got a dry sink for $100 that looks like new and is very sturdy (this is not Ikea furniture). 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3714 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:40 PM »

+1  Also, I live in a slightly more rural area.  We have some decently sized towns nearby, but the closest city center is 45 minutes away on some pretty  major highways.  So CL means that most likely you're driving somewhere around 40 mins to 1 hr 20 mins to get to whoever is selling the item you want.  Unless it is a HUGE deal, I'm just not driving that far. Our county has a facebook group, and each post has to first state which small town they're in so I know in the first second just how far I might be driving.  Plus, fb is good for used kids stuff and random pieces of small furniture.  We got a dry sink for $100 that looks like new and is very sturdy (this is not Ikea furniture).

Good to know, thanks.  CL is big in my area and I am willing/able to meet people as needed.  Then demographically I am probably different too.  But a huge bin of legos for myself could be tempting... :-)

TRBeck

• Stubble
« Reply #3715 on: January 11, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »

Good to know, thanks.  CL is big in my area and I am willing/able to meet people as needed.  Then demographically I am probably different too.  But a huge bin of legos for myself could be tempting... :-)
We get all the Legos we can handle for free. Our local Goodwill-type stores won't resell them because they're too much trouble to clean up for sale to others. Donations left outside during non-business hours get binned or given to those who want them. We can handle a tub of mild sanitizing solution and a quick rinse.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3716 on: January 11, 2016, 06:57:13 PM »
We get all the Legos we can handle for free. Our local Goodwill-type stores won't resell them because they're too much trouble to clean up for sale to others. Donations left outside during non-business hours get binned or given to those who want them. We can handle a tub of mild sanitizing solution and a quick rinse.
Wait, what?  This could be life changing!  Well, for DS (yeah, that's who it would be for...).  I need to make friends with the local goodwill places.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3717 on: January 11, 2016, 07:25:41 PM »
Wait, what?  This could be life changing!  Well, for DS (yeah, that's who it would be for...).  I need to make friends with the local goodwill places.

FB friend is about to leave for a 5 week European holiday and is complaining about all the awesome tv they may miss and trying to work out how much it will cost them to download the shows while they are away or if they should just try to avoid spoilers and download when home

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3718 on: January 12, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »

FB friend is about to leave for a 5 week European holiday and is complaining about all the awesome tv they may miss

Talk about first world problems.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3719 on: January 12, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »

FB friend is about to leave for a 5 week European holiday and is complaining about all the awesome tv they may miss

Bummer man.  Once it airs it's gone forever.  Not like you could DVR it, or watch it through an on demand service, or another service like netflix/hulu/amazon, or download it, or catch the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc run of it.  Who even watches real time TV? Is your friend a cave man? Talk about a first world non-problem. 

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3720 on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:31 PM »
Really?!?! OK, I need to stop by the local Goodwill and ask them about this- it would make sense, the only Legos I've ever seen there have been random unopened bags from kits. SWMBO will probably not be that thrilled with this though. :P

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3721 on: January 12, 2016, 03:36:55 PM »

Bummer man.  Once it airs it's gone forever.  Not like you could DVR it, or watch it through an on demand service, or another service like netflix/hulu/amazon, or download it, or catch the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc run of it.  Who even watches real time TV? Is your friend a cave man? Talk about a first world non-problem.

I assume they download them as soon as they air in the usa. I am not too sure to be honest.  I think the issue from reading the comments is they are worried about spoilers and also when they get back from the holiday it taking them ages to catch up and ending up further behind... I don't really understand

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3722 on: January 13, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »
Really?!?! OK, I need to stop by the local Goodwill and ask them about this- it would make sense, the only Legos I've ever seen there have been random unopened bags from kits. SWMBO will probably not be that thrilled with this though. :P

Yeah, I will also be checking my local one as well now.

I just looked on CL locally and some people are asking $200-500 for bins of assorted legos.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3723 on: January 13, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »

Yeah, I will also be checking my local one as well now.

I just looked on CL locally and some people are asking $200-500 for bins of assorted legos.

Yeah, they're pretty high-priced around here too.

I stopped by the big one near my house yesterday after work. In addition to a vintage 80's-era 'Game of Life' that I'd been looking for since SWMBO doesn't like the newer version and a dirt-cheap rooftop cargo carrier I should be able to flip I asked about Legos- they said that they usually just throw them away unless they're unopened since kids get into them and they're a hassle to clean up. They checked and said they didn't have any in the back at the moment (though sadly it sounded like if they did that they would have priced them to sell to me instead of just letting me have them). Will have to keep checking back as well as checking other ones around town.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3724 on: January 13, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »
JFC.... "don't go then" :P

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3725 on: January 13, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »
LOL -- I love it!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3726 on: January 13, 2016, 10:16:15 PM »
LOL -- I love it!

I actually said that or a variation of it. But they have instead decided to not do things at night so they can catch up on tv and hope that data costs aren't too high(they are "budgeting" about $500 for data charges)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3727 on: January 14, 2016, 12:02:23 AM »
LOL -- I love it!

I actually said that or a variation of it. But they have instead decided to not do things at night so they can catch up on tv and hope that data costs aren't too high(they are "budgeting" about $500 for data charges)

Yeah, because no one does anything at night in Europe, especially in the less popular places like Barcelona and Paris and Munich.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3728 on: January 14, 2016, 12:42:27 AM »
LOL -- I love it!

Yeah, because no one does anything at night in Europe, especially in the less popular places like Barcelona and Paris and Munich.

haha yeah why would you explore a city when you need to watch game of thrones

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3729 on: January 14, 2016, 08:22:25 AM »
I'm having a fucking conniption at my desk, thanks. I don't have enough profanity for how stupid it is to spend thousands on trans-Atlantic travel and then miss out on lifetime opportunities because FUCKING TELEVISION. #$%^&*()_

I haven't been able to spend much time in Europe yet in my life, and most of it was accidental, so I treated every moment like the priceless chance that it was. I realize that when you have five weeks anywhere, time is less precious, but still. Better to spend two or three and really suck the marrow than stay for five and spend half of it paying extra to pretend you're back home. Fucking television.

Jesus Christ.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3730 on: January 14, 2016, 08:27:47 AM »
I'm having a fucking conniption at my desk, thanks. I don't have enough profanity for how stupid it is to spend thousands on trans-Atlantic travel and then miss out on lifetime opportunities because FUCKING TELEVISION. #$%^&*()_

I haven't been able to spend much time in Europe yet in my life, and most of it was accidental, so I treated every moment like the priceless chance that it was. I realize that when you have five weeks anywhere, time is less precious, but still. Better to spend two or three and really suck the marrow than stay for five and spend half of it paying extra to pretend you're back home. Fucking television.

Jesus Christ.

I thought the people in question were from Australia?  So yeah trans Indian Ocean/Middle east.

And hotels have wifi, hell cafes have wifi why are they expecting data charges for video?  Using the cell phones ok sort of I get but at 500$ might be better off buying a burner within EU (or a local SIM card in one of the phones), or just Skyping over the free and very available wifi...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:44:55 AM by AlanStache »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3731 on: January 14, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »
Wow. This makes me glad that I don't really value TV. Sure I love football, but if I had plans, I would do them instead.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3732 on: January 14, 2016, 08:48:11 AM »

Jesus Christ.

+1

This person is so far from my life philosophy/goals/hopes...I literally cannot wrap my head around this attitude. If I had $500 to blow in a foreign country I would have so much fun with it. I think the only TV I have ever used during my international travels is maybe some music television (which can be kind of fun/funny in other countries) to have on in the background during meals that we have cooked in.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3733 on: January 14, 2016, 08:59:15 AM »
I know a Canadian man who spent a beautiful Monday afternoon in Queenstown NZ watching the Super Bowl (i.e. not  even the Canadian football playoff (= Grey Cup)).  Priorities?

Wow. This makes me glad that I don't really value TV. Sure I love football, but if I had plans, I would do them instead.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3734 on: January 14, 2016, 09:17:39 AM »
I know a Canadian man who spent a beautiful Monday afternoon in Queenstown NZ watching the Super Bowl (i.e. not  even the Canadian football playoff (= Grey Cup)).  Priorities?

You know, a one-time thing (especially something that only happens once a year) wouldn't outrage me as much. Consistently missing out on authentic local experiences just to get the latest shit from home is what bothers me the most.
I'd be out every damn night I could, meeting people, trying new food and drink, looking for a new cultural experience.
I'm starting to calm down, FTR ;)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3735 on: January 14, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »

Jesus Christ.

+1

I'm in stunned disbelief!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3736 on: January 14, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »

Jesus Christ.

This reply made me giggle. Perfectly placed profanity!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3737 on: January 14, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »

Jesus Christ.
They are going to be in Europe for 5 weeks and are PLANNING not doing stuff in the evening, because it conflicts with tv watching? My mind is blown.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3738 on: January 14, 2016, 03:22:42 PM »
You should have offered to go on the vacation in their stead so they could keep up with live TV! 

I'm with @Zephyr911 on this one, I think if someone said this to me in person my first impulse would be to call them F***ing retards and walk away.  Either that or there would be a cartoon like mushroom cloud coming out of my head...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3739 on: January 14, 2016, 04:12:45 PM »

Jesus Christ.

I thought the people in question were from Australia?  So yeah trans Indian Ocean/Middle east.

And hotels have wifi, hell cafes have wifi why are they expecting data charges for video?  Using the cell phones ok sort of I get but at 500$ might be better off buying a burner within EU (or a local SIM card in one of the phones), or just Skyping over the free and very available wifi...

Yes Australia. So a long flight. I am not sure why they are expecting extra data charges, maybe if hotel wifi is slow? I didn't really want to question them incase I got drawn into an argument about how stupid it was.

They were in KL or HK a few years ago and had complained about there only being three English tv channels in their hotel and having to rewatched twilight three times as it kept getting repeated so I think they have "learnt from their mistakes " and will take a laptop so they can download/stream stuff

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3740 on: January 14, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »

You know, a one-time thing (especially something that only happens once a year) wouldn't outrage me as much. Consistently missing out on authentic local experiences just to get the latest shit from home is what bothers me the most.
I'd be out every damn night I could, meeting people, trying new food and drink, looking for a new cultural experience.
I'm starting to calm down, FTR ;)

I was stationed Italy way back when b/c the military sent me there. Was assigned to be there for two years, asked for a third and they gave it to me. Asked for a fourth and they said no... ;)

I enjoyed myself so much that were I an orphan I would have stayed longer.

One night on third shift I was chatting with a buddy. I chose to rent a house (military paid for most of that) and he chose to live in the barracks on base.

We were comparing notes about where we had been in our time there (similar periods of time). He spoke enthusiastically about a walking tour of downtown that involved a couple of stores and a pizza. He'd done this a few times in several years.

He asked me where I had been and I explained that I spent nearly every dollar I had to wander the country and see what I could. With fuel prices what they were (maybe triple US prices after we used our allotment of low-tax fuel) and my mediocre enlisted pay - I still covered alot of miles. All the major cities, the mtn towns, seaside roads, etc.

The next weekend I invited him along for a day trip. He was car sick several times that day but otherwise had a good time I think. Recently came across VHS tapes of the day.

Anyone have a Tardis I could borrow for a weekend? Would like to take the family to visit those places and that time. Maybe give my earlier self a few pointers. I'm happy with the outcome of my choices but I could have been more "smooth" and "suave" along the way... ;)

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3741 on: January 15, 2016, 08:44:54 AM »

Jesus Christ.

+1

I'm in stunned disbelief!

+2

wow.... just... wow...

I'm not saying I don't like TV (love BBT!), but I can't imagine wasting a minute in another country worrying about a TV show! I've spent some time in India for work, and the only TV I watched was a couple of Bollywood movies. We were at Mahabalipuram, a World Heritage site, and spent the evening watching a dance festival. All I could think of was how culturally rich they were and how culturally deficient our country is. I can't wait to take my kids there someday to show them there is so much more to life than TV shows and YouTube...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3742 on: January 15, 2016, 08:55:02 AM »
I was stationed Italy way back when b/c the military sent me there. Was assigned to be there for two years, asked for a third and they gave it to me. Asked for a fourth and they said no... ;)

One night on third shift I was chatting with a buddy. I chose to rent a house (military paid for most of that) and he chose to live in the barracks on base.

We were comparing notes about where we had been in our time there (similar periods of time). He spoke enthusiastically about a walking tour of downtown that involved a couple of stores and a pizza. He'd done this a few times in several years.

He asked me where I had been and I explained that I spent nearly every dollar I had to wander the country and see what I could. With fuel prices what they were (maybe triple US prices after we used our allotment of low-tax fuel) and my mediocre enlisted pay - I still covered alot of miles. All the major cities, the mtn towns, seaside roads, etc.

The next weekend I invited him along for a day trip. He was car sick several times that day but otherwise had a good time I think. Recently came across VHS tapes of the day.

Anyone have a Tardis I could borrow for a weekend? Would like to take the family to visit those places and that time. Maybe give my earlier self a few pointers. I'm happy with the outcome of my choices but I could have been more "smooth" and "suave" along the way... ;)
I was TDY to Aviano AB for about 10 days once, so all we had were evenings in Sacile and one free weekend. My entire team hit a different restaurant (or even two - beer/gelato after dinner, etc) every night, took the train to Venice the first day off, and saw some of Pordenone too. Some people get it.

And then, some don't. I grew up in Hawaii surrounded by Marines, who told me some guys spend their entire tour playing video games and drinking beer in their time off, and never set foot outside the gate. There's no explaining it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3743 on: January 15, 2016, 09:37:50 AM »

I was TDY to Aviano AB for about 10 days once, so all we had were evenings in Sacile and one free weekend. My entire team hit a different restaurant (or even two - beer/gelato after dinner, etc) every night, took the train to Venice the first day off, and saw some of Pordenone too. Some people get it.

And then, some don't. I grew up in Hawaii surrounded by Marines, who told me some guys spend their entire tour playing video games and drinking beer in their time off, and never set foot outside the gate. There's no explaining it.

There are some families and social cliques where it's acceptable to be a boring person: never read a book, visit a museum, learn the local language or culture, or even travel in an economical way. Lately I've been running into people with no hobbies whatsoever. I don't mean that their hobbies are different than mine (gaming vs. gardening, for example), I mean that they take a lot of pride in doing nothing and knowing nothing.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3744 on: January 15, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »

Yeah there was that same group of guys/gals there in Naples. Spent most (if not all) of their time on base and among Americans lamenting all the ways that Italy wasn't like suburban USA.

I was an spendy pants idiot every year I was there with my $14K per year but in the long run I think it was totally worthwhile. I did save some $ for college as I intended and I traveled alot on the cheap. My older self could tell my younger self about alot of missed opportunities to experience even more of the country I think. For example more exploration on foot inside the cities, less fear of foreigners. I was a good little American and believed that everyone was out to kidnap and murder me per 20/20 and other news shows (Camorra, Mafia, Communists, etc.)

Maybe a cheap scooter for local trips (exploration) vs my Beetle.

This was all pre-Internet and I was a travel virgin. Just didn't have alot of reliable information about ways to travel cheap.

No local friend doing much traveling b/c we were all too poor to get far. Nobody in my pre-military social circle had traveled to Europe so information and best methods coaching was scarce. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:59:52 AM by Joe Average »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3745 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »

There are some families and social cliques where it's acceptable to be a boring person: never read a book, visit a museum, learn the local language or culture, or even travel in an economical way. Lately I've been running into people with no hobbies whatsoever. I don't mean that their hobbies are different than mine (gaming vs. gardening, for example), I mean that they take a lot of pride in doing nothing and knowing nothing.

+1

I can't imagine what these people do with their time.

DW was working with a coworker this week who aspires to move up the ranks and can't seem to learn anything.

Calls wanting her to explain how to do even simple tasks using a computer. Its as if they have never heard of Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo/Yahoo/etc. Little or no ability to search for answers on their own.

This is a college educated professional?!?!?! We're curious how they have been able to accomplish the tasks they are already assigned without some of the skills they want help with.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3746 on: January 15, 2016, 11:31:25 AM »
Just read this on a post in one of the groups I am in on Facebook....the OP was asking what percentage of their income people put away into savings.  And I quote...

"I contribute a total of 15% (this includes a mandatory employee 8%, a mandatory employer 6% and a voluntary employee 1%). I have a good friend who is a financial advisor who says this is very ambitious for someone my age (29), and that normally he wouldn't recommend someone putting that much away unless they were closer to retirement and needing to catch up."

Uhh, really?  If your friend is truly a financial adviser, then they are a pretty crappy one if they wouldn't recommend putting 15% into your 401K...especially since it's really only 9% of your actual income and what sounds like a 6% match from your employer.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3747 on: January 15, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »
This was all pre-Internet and I was a travel virgin. Just didn't have alot of reliable information about ways to travel cheap.

The internet has made foreign travel on a budget sooooo much easier! When I was traveling around Europe in the 90s we would get to a city by train and ask at the train station about hostels nearby. Sometimes there would be people at the train station trying to advertise their hostel/guest house by accosting people as they got off the train. We ended up in some super-sketchy places with no ability to read reviews or recommendations/warnings. There was one place that had communal showers (I don't even want to know...), there was one place where we peeled back the blankets to find pubic hairs on the sheets... or the time we stayed in some elderly woman's guest room for $10 a night (including breakfast!) and she didn't speak any English. We had some fun adventures, but I'm really glad I don't have to do that any more.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3748 on: January 15, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
Just read this on a post in one of the groups I am in on Facebook....the OP was asking what percentage of their income people put away into savings.  And I quote...

"I contribute a total of 15% (this includes a mandatory employee 8%, a mandatory employer 6% and a voluntary employee 1%). I have a good friend who is a financial advisor who says this is very ambitious for someone my age (29), and that normally he wouldn't recommend someone putting that much away unless they were closer to retirement and needing to catch up."

Uhh, really?  If your friend is truly a financial adviser, then they are a pretty crappy one if they wouldn't recommend putting 15% into your 401K...especially since it's really only 9% of your actual income and what sounds like a 6% match from your employer.

Also, with tax relief it's even less.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3749 on: January 15, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »

You know, it's one thing to ask very little of young savers, but to actively dissuade an overachiever is downright shameful. As if there is a downside to not spending enough??? I hope you spoke up!