Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081802 times)

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3950 on: March 01, 2016, 06:52:50 AM »
Dogs are a good yardstick of "good person" for me. If a person treats their dog well then I might expect them to be good people. If they fall for every puppy and then ignore it as it gets older - warning bells. A dog is a lifetime commitment but I've been surprised at how many don't see it that way.

Yeah that's a good point. I learned that there is a HUGE difference between a dog lover and a dog owner. Some day I would like to get a dog, but if I do it likely won't be a puppy, they are adorably cute but a ton of work, instead I plan to see what's currently available in a shelter.

Totally agree with Jethrosnose, and that is so good of you, MgoSam!  I visit our local humane society a fair amount and whenever I do, I make sure to spend some time visiting the adult dogs, not just the puppies and cats.  One of my friends set a good example for me -- she took me the first time and spent probably an hour visiting to make sure that she engaged each adult dog who wasn't sleeping.
Our dogs are rescues. I've tried to get others to do the same when they say they are going to get a dog. So far, all have opted to pay a breeder a LOT of $$$$$ for a specific breed puppy. Sigh....
We love our dogs. There is a Kliban cartoon that has a building with a big sign saying "USED CURS".
My wife and I refuse to get animals from anywhere but our local humane society. We thought we were getting a terrier mutt when our dog was a puppy, but now that he's 8+ months old, we're pretty sure he's full-breed APBT . We still recommend to all of our friends that are looking at getting a dog that they get it from a shelter and get a mutt. They are healthier and just as beautiful as any one breed, and a lot of times have more character (but that's just my opinion).

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3951 on: March 01, 2016, 07:05:01 AM »
Not overheard on facebook, but is the signature line of somebody on a car forum I frequent:

"Money can’t buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery."

Made me laugh a little.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #3952 on: March 01, 2016, 08:20:19 AM »
Not overheard on facebook, but is the signature line of somebody on a car forum I frequent:

"Money can’t buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery."

Made me laugh a little.

"money can't buy you happiness, but it's hard to be sad on a jet ski!"

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #3953 on: March 01, 2016, 08:54:01 AM »

Made me laugh a little.

"money can't buy you happiness, but it's hard to be sad on a jet ski!"

"Money can't buy happiness, but poverty can sure make you miserable!"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3954 on: March 01, 2016, 09:49:34 AM »
Yeah I concur, while being wealthy might not make you happy, being broke likely will cause additional unwanted stress. I've had some unexpected bills come up over the past two months and I've paid them off. I have a mortgage on my house, and haven't found roommates, but I'm still able to pay off the mortgage plus extra while still investing in index funds (though of course, not as much until I get roommates) and still live comfortably. Imagine doing that if you are going paycheck to paycheck without much margin.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3955 on: March 01, 2016, 10:10:30 AM »
Dogs are a good yardstick of "good person" for me. If a person treats their dog well then I might expect them to be good people. If they fall for every puppy and then ignore it as it gets older - warning bells. A dog is a lifetime commitment but I've been surprised at how many don't see it that way.

Yeah that's a good point. I learned that there is a HUGE difference between a dog lover and a dog owner. Some day I would like to get a dog, but if I do it likely won't be a puppy, they are adorably cute but a ton of work, instead I plan to see what's currently available in a shelter.

Totally agree with Jethrosnose, and that is so good of you, MgoSam!  I visit our local humane society a fair amount and whenever I do, I make sure to spend some time visiting the adult dogs, not just the puppies and cats.  One of my friends set a good example for me -- she took me the first time and spent probably an hour visiting to make sure that she engaged each adult dog who wasn't sleeping.
Our dogs are rescues. I've tried to get others to do the same when they say they are going to get a dog. So far, all have opted to pay a breeder a LOT of $$$$$ for a specific breed puppy. Sigh....
We love our dogs. There is a Kliban cartoon that has a building with a big sign saying "USED CURS".
My wife and I refuse to get animals from anywhere but our local humane society. We thought we were getting a terrier mutt when our dog was a puppy, but now that he's 8+ months old, we're pretty sure he's full-breed APBT . We still recommend to all of our friends that are looking at getting a dog that they get it from a shelter and get a mutt. They are healthier and just as beautiful as any one breed, and a lot of times have more character (but that's just my opinion).

Any tips for this?  I worry that if I just pick a random dog it will not have appropriate temperament or size for my household (eg a dog that needs to run miles everyday).  Does the shelter usually help with that?

Also do any shelters do house training? I heard they are starting to do that now as it ultimately reduces the total work needed by eliminating a lot of cleanup.

I've wanted a dog for a long time but could never justify it given the amount of time I'm away from home.  Now I'm part time so I'd expect to be able to dedicate the time required.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:12:32 AM by dragoncar »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3956 on: March 01, 2016, 10:22:49 AM »
Any tips for this?  I worry that if I just pick a random dog it will not have appropriate temperament or size for my household (eg a dog that needs to run miles everyday).  Does the shelter usually help with that?
Any decent place ( xSPCA ) will talk about what kind of dog you need and where you live.
A big problem can be convincing them you can take a large dog because although you don't have acres you do walk miles everyday.

Also do any shelters do house training? I heard they are starting to do that now as it ultimately reduces the total work needed by eliminating a lot of cleanup.
Most animals in shelters are from homes, especially over the last few years people have had to move house/job and can't keep their pets so they are trained.  You probably don't want a puppy anyway - however cute they look.

I've wanted a dog for a long time but could never justify it given the amount of time I'm away from home.  Now I'm part time so I'd expect to be able to dedicate the time required.
Get an older dog. They are trained, dogs adapt well to a new environment and they are likely to need less constant attention / exercise / entertaining than a very young dog.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3957 on: March 01, 2016, 10:29:34 AM »
"I just don't trust myself with that much money..."

W.T.F.

This was my favorite part:  "This isn't for people to try to talk me out of it btw, please just comment if you have any helpful advice!"  Self-contradictory.

"I need attention! Validate my opinions and lack of decision-making skills please!"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3958 on: March 01, 2016, 10:34:52 AM »
Any decent place ( xSPCA ) will talk about what kind of dog you need and where you live.
A big problem can be convincing them you can take a large dog because although you don't have acres you do walk miles everyday.

I concur, I would also recommend researching dog breeds so that you have an understanding about what type of dog fits your needs. I highly encourage you to look into retired greyhounds, many elder greyhounds that are used as race dogs are put up for adoption after their racing days. Advantages of them is that they are fairly lazy dogs (nickname for them is 20 mph couch potatoes, only really need a quick walk I'm told, never owned them) and they are crate trained, which makes it easier for them when you're gone. Crates are generally very good for dogs.

Most animals in shelters are from homes, especially over the last few years people have had to move house/job and can't keep their pets so they are trained.  You probably don't want a puppy anyway - however cute they look.

Get an older dog. They are trained, dogs adapt well to a new environment and they are likely to need less constant attention / exercise / entertaining than a very young dog.
[/quote]

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3959 on: March 01, 2016, 10:41:35 AM »
Yeah I concur, while being wealthy might not make you happy, being broke likely will cause additional unwanted stress. I've had some unexpected bills come up over the past two months and I've paid them off. I have a mortgage on my house, and haven't found roommates, but I'm still able to pay off the mortgage plus extra while still investing in index funds (though of course, not as much until I get roommates) and still live comfortably. Imagine doing that if you are going paycheck to paycheck without much margin.

Yeah, I had to cashflow a new refrigerator in December. I thought - holy crap! Poor people should not be homeowners!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3960 on: March 01, 2016, 10:47:52 AM »

Yeah, I had to cashflow a new refrigerator in December. I thought - holy crap! Poor people should not be homeowners!

But how else will they build equity.........! Renting is just throwing away money..........

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #3961 on: March 01, 2016, 10:54:45 AM »

I concur, I would also recommend researching dog breeds so that you have an understanding about what type of dog fits your needs. I highly encourage you to look into retired greyhounds, many elder greyhounds that are used as race dogs are put up for adoption after their racing days. Advantages of them is that they are fairly lazy dogs (nickname for them is 20 mph couch potatoes, only really need a quick walk I'm told, never owned them) and they are crate trained, which makes it easier for them when you're gone. Crates are generally very good for dogs.

[/quote]

My wife and I did this, though we did it because we believe that we will move in a few years and may not be able to take an animal with us. For us, getting an older dog was all about offering a loving home to an older dog who might be nearing its end. We get the benefit of having the pup for a while, and the pup gets the benefits of love, lots of walks, and a pretty comfy couch.

The shelter told us that the dog wasn't house trained. After leaving her at home while we were at work, we found out that she was indeed. She had just been very nervous at the shelter and urinated at times. The bonus is that, as an elderly dog, she pretty much wants to sleep all day anyway, so leaving her at home is not an issue. During the mornings, evenings and weekends, we make it a point to involve her in most activities and cuddle her like crazy.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3962 on: March 01, 2016, 11:04:55 AM »
I'm down with an older dog, but worried about accelerated health problems.  I guess that's no big deal if you are willing to put him down, but that might be hard emotionally.  On the other hand I definitely don't want to be paying for dog chemo or crazy surgeries

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3963 on: March 01, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »

Maybe foster dog?  My neighbors two elderly dogs passed.  They started fostering. There's a full-kill shelter in Los Angeles, and a local woman who goes down there from here to pick up dogs.  She finds homes here (2 hrs north) to foster them until they find a home.

My neighbors adopted one foster and have fostered a few others.  This current foster is adorable and a great temperament and would be perfect...except I don't want a dog.  She swears she is going to win me over.  I'm not terribly a dog person (although my husband's parents had a mellow poodle once that I liked).  I have a small house, 2 kids that don't clean up after themselves, and we are away from home for 9.5 hours a day. Sorry.  Dog just isn't happening.  (Neighbor works from home, and many other neighbors just let their dogs stay outside all day.)

Anyway you could see if there is a foster organization.

greytbigdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3964 on: March 01, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »
+1 for adopting a greyhound, but I'm completely biased.  They make great apartment/small yard dogs since they don't need a lot of exercise, and are great about being on a schedule.  To find out about different breeds some of the breed selector tools online are useful.  I searched for large, low-shedding and lazy.   My guy was a poor racer so was available for adoption after one race season when he was 2.

Downside of a greyhound: poor recall, and I've yet to meet one that would fetch.

And this:
http://www.puppiesaredicks.com/

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #3965 on: March 01, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
Downside of a greyhound: poor recall, and I've yet to meet one that would fetch.
My in-laws say a visit to the dog park went like this:

Human throws ball.

Greyhound stares like "now look what you did. It's all the way over there."

Other dogs chase ball.

Greyhound goes "oh oh the running game! I'm good at the running game!"

Other dogs stop when they reach the ball.

Greyhound blows by then realizes the other dogs have stopped. "Guys, we were playing the running game. Why are you distracted by the stupid ball?"

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3966 on: March 01, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »

I have a friend whose golden retriever was just put down for cancer, and she has been devastated.  She told me yesterday she is looking at spending £800 on a new golden retriever puppy.  I haven't had the heart to tell her that 60% of goldies die of cancer.

My dog was an adult rescue and is officially The Best Dog in All the World.  Any future dogs would also be adult rescues.

I've had four rescues over the years. I'll never get another dog any other way. Two mixed breeds, two Setters. So many animals in need of a home. Spay and neuter please!

greytbigdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3967 on: March 01, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »
My in-laws say a visit to the dog park went like this:

Human throws ball.

Greyhound stares like "now look what you did. It's all the way over there."

Other dogs chase ball.

Greyhound goes "oh oh the running game! I'm good at the running game!"

Other dogs stop when they reach the ball.

Greyhound blows by then realizes the other dogs have stopped. "Guys, we were playing the running game. Why are you distracted by the stupid ball?"

YES! 

Or the greyhound (mine) is an ass and catches the dogs by bumping them.  They freak and stop running.

Best exercise was when one guy at the dog park would stay outside the fenced areas with his dog.  The dogs would bark at each other from either side of the fence and then race.  Greyhound would stop and wait halfway for the other dog to catch up, then continue the race.  Stop at the other end of the fenced park, bark at each other and repeat.

I've tried teaching the greyhound to fetch.  It usually ends up with the stuffy bouncing off his face and then him looking all sad and disappointed.

But mine's 11 now.  Exercise consists of rolling onto his other side so I can vacuum both side - of both the dog and the dog bed.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3968 on: March 01, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »
Good lump of info everybody.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3969 on: March 02, 2016, 11:25:32 AM »
My neighbor friend who seems to constantly be trying new/expensive trends and has had an MLM business for which she posts daily on facebook had a post this morning that I ignored but then my mom told me to read the comments.  Sharing the quotes here because I know some of you are brave enough to be like the commenter, but I'm not, and so mom and I were totally cheering him on (to ourselves, but I also "liked" the guy's comments -- I'm getting braver!):

Friend:  "I've been struggling with whether I want to continue selling R+F but I LOVE my results too much to give up yet! These products really do work.
I promise, try it--you won't regret it. We have a regimen for just about any skin concern. Doesn't matter if you are male, female,young or old. We can get you looking your best. . . . Message me to get started!"

Irrelevant Commenters:  [Cheering on my MLM friend because they are also consultants in this MLM]

Smart Commenter:  "It would be nice to have some of my friends back.... Tired of only seeing their business posts..."

Friend:  "I know, I get overwhelmed with them too. One of the reasons I struggle with this. I don't want to spam my friends but seriously, it's the best products I've used! You know, we girls like to look out best and my R+F skincare has given me just a little more confidence as I age!"

Smart Commenter:  "I totally understand.. But there needs to be balance.. The bombardment just seems desperate.. Not to mention usually these posts are strictly filled with other comments by other consultants.. Not just average joes who use the products... A smart kid sees it all as sales plots not real story's."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3970 on: March 02, 2016, 11:35:43 AM »
So I have been chatting with someone on FB. A few weeks ago they mentioned that they were going to be become a Jamberry "consultant," and asked if I knew anyone that would be willing to host a party. I demurred, and haven't really heard from her since.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #3971 on: March 02, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »
Just saw this one and came straight here to post. I can't even comprehend this...

Now I do believe this girl does a pretty good job of managing her money. I know she has some rental properties, as evidenced by this post, and I think by and large she's been smart with her finances.

HOWEVER, she just posted that while trying to refinance one of her homes for a lower interest rate, she needed her bank statements. She posts "I probably shouldn't be advertising this, but the last time I looked at my bank statement was when I closed on our house 3 years ago." WTF. She then goes on to say when she looked at her statement today she discovered a charge for $147 billed today, and does not have Time Warner. Turns out she's been getting charged between $135 to $147 for Time Warner each month since DECEMBER 2014 and never noticed!! I don't even understand how this happens! I mean, on the one hand good job not living paycheck to paycheck, but on the other hand, WHO DOESN'T CHECK THEIR BANK ACCOUNT?! I mean, at least give it a once over every now and then to make sure there's nothing fraudulent/everything automated is coming out as it should be.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3972 on: March 02, 2016, 11:58:37 AM »

In my experience, the quality of advice or breed identification varies by shelter or organization. Our local group is absolute SHIT at identifying likely breed. I will admit that this would be difficult in a mix, but has seen something like 'terrier mix' associate with a dog that is obviously (going to be) larger - likely a lab mix.
Check out PetFinder to find breed specific rescue groups in your area (if you are interested in a specific breed). That said, breed rescue groups tend to rescue dogs that look close enough to the breed, so these are not all pure reeds, or even the correct breed.
No guarantees - but for dogs generally
body size is inversely correlated with lifespan
body size is directly correlated with hip dysphasia or similar issues
Bigger dogs often more calm, especially as they get older
Bigger dogs are often quieter / less vocal (barking)
Smaller dogs stay more active in older years (but generally may need less activity and therefore get sufficient activity when younger vs. young large dogs which may need to run a marathon a day when young!)
I would assume general vet bills are the same regardless of size - shots, checkups, etc., but obviously bigger dogs need more food, and therefore generate more/larger waste.

Each individual dog will have its own personality, which is often greatly shaped by their interactions with you. The more you pay attention to them, they more they pay attention to you!

Not sure where you live, but you may also want to take your climate / weather into account when picking a dog.

Happy to talk more about this via PM if you are interested.

All y'all had me at "dog." ; )
Good stuff here. The advantage of a rescue dog at about 1-2 years old is you'll be able to see the basic full size/breed mix/energy level fairly clearly. I've got two rescue mutts, getting them at 1 or 2 meant no guessing on size and already housetrained.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3973 on: March 02, 2016, 12:01:16 PM »
Good stuff here. The advantage of a rescue dog at about 1-2 years old is you'll be able to see the basic full size/breed mix/energy level fairly clearly. I've got two rescue mutts, getting them at 1 or 2 meant no guessing on size and already housetrained.

Very true!  Mine was going on 9 months when I got him, but housetrained (from living outside), and I could see that he was goofy, child-friendly, and exceedingly tolerant.  Puppies all sort of have the same personality, but adolescent dogs you can see a bit more of their individuality, I think.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3974 on: March 02, 2016, 03:05:59 PM »
Just saw this one and came straight here to post. I can't even comprehend this...

Now I do believe this girl does a pretty good job of managing her money. I know she has some rental properties, as evidenced by this post, and I think by and large she's been smart with her finances.

HOWEVER, she just posted that while trying to refinance one of her homes for a lower interest rate, she needed her bank statements. She posts "I probably shouldn't be advertising this, but the last time I looked at my bank statement was when I closed on our house 3 years ago." WTF. She then goes on to say when she looked at her statement today she discovered a charge for $147 billed today, and does not have Time Warner. Turns out she's been getting charged between $135 to $147 for Time Warner each month since DECEMBER 2014 and never noticed!! I don't even understand how this happens! I mean, on the one hand good job not living paycheck to paycheck, but on the other hand, WHO DOESN'T CHECK THEIR BANK ACCOUNT?! I mean, at least give it a once over every now and then to make sure there's nothing fraudulent/everything automated is coming out as it should be.

I know plenty of people who dont, which just seems crazy to me

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3975 on: March 02, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »

We reconcile our spending every month and are within $5 each month of our "expected" amount in bank accounts.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #3976 on: March 02, 2016, 09:36:11 PM »
My Cousin posted on facebook today:

I know her circumstances -- she readily shares/complains about them.  She has a certification that allows her to work in childcare.  She works 70 hours a week, part time in child care and part time at a dollar store.

She makes barely more than minimum wage at either job.  She has several cats (continues to adopt more -- I'm an animal person, but I know they are expensive at times.) 

She refuses to have a roommate.  Her best friend (and previous roommate) lives literally next door, but will not share rent/apartment with her.  Knowing my cousin and having met the friend, its my cousin that's difficult not the best friend.  Rent is easily 500 dollars or more -- plus utilities. 

She had an older ford SUV (I forget the model).  It was the first car that i never saw her complain about always breaking down or having issues.  It was stinkin reliable and great for the snow.  It had lots of room and in the early 2000s range.  I believe it was paid for.

My cousin just posted an excited post about her 2013 Elantra...financed.  Friends and family are posting about how she works so hard and "deserves it".  She is always broke, makes just above minimum wage, and has to work 70 hours a week to barely cover expenses (if emergencies come up -- she borrows money from her grandmother).  Its used, which is great.  But it stinks so much that she would finance a vehicle worth between 10-15,000, working 70 hours a week on minimum wage.  I really hope she doesn't run into any issues.  I also really hope she had a tax return or something to put towards it :(  She always complains that she has to work so much....these payments are not going to help.  And her income earning potential is severely limited without any type of degree.

And insurance is going to go up so much!  I hope she has factored that in! 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3977 on: March 02, 2016, 09:48:05 PM »
My Cousin posted on facebook today:

I know her circumstances -- she readily shares/complains about them.  She has a certification that allows her to work in childcare.  She works 70 hours a week, part time in child care and part time at a dollar store. . . . But it stinks so much that she would finance a vehicle worth between 10-15,000, working 70 hours a week on minimum wage.  I really hope she doesn't run into any issues.  I also really hope she had a tax return or something to put towards it :(  She always complains that she has to work so much....these payments are not going to help.  And her income earning potential is severely limited without any type of degree. . . .

Aw, man, that's a bummer.  It sounds like she really is working hard, but her choices and circumstances leave her stuck in a cycle that's not good for her :-(

NykkiC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3978 on: March 02, 2016, 11:16:45 PM »
My cousin just posted an excited post about her 2013 Elantra...financed.  Friends and family are posting about how she works so hard and "deserves it".
I always wonder if people who say someone 'deserves it' actually don't like the poster and this is their passive agressive way of saying 'you want it but can't afford it and I think you deserve the heartache and stress and possibly financial ruin this will bring'. This is what I sometimes tell myself to preserve my sanity, if not my faith in the basic goodness of people.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3979 on: March 03, 2016, 06:48:34 AM »
My cousin just posted an excited post about her 2013 Elantra...financed.  Friends and family are posting about how she works so hard and "deserves it".
I always wonder if people who say someone 'deserves it' actually don't like the poster and this is their passive agressive way of saying 'you want it but can't afford it and I think you deserve the heartache and stress and possibly financial ruin this will bring'. This is what I sometimes tell myself to preserve my sanity, if not my faith in the basic goodness of people.

Oh, god, the 'deserve it' trap. My dad falls into that regularly.

'I'm a business man, I'm exhausted, I deserve a vacation, and I deserve a 2-week trip to the south of France'. Um, no. The company is losing money this year, and the Canadian dollar is for shit. You deserve a vacation, sure. How do you feel about a week-long vacation at home, with a few good meals and bottles of wine and something fun to do that doesn't cost 5k? You can 'deserve' something all you want, but that doesn't translate to 'can afford it'. Ugh.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #3980 on: March 03, 2016, 07:00:31 AM »

So the same girl posted an update last night. I didn't think this could get worse...

Turns out back in December 2014 she was at her parents' house and saw their Time Warner bill lying on the kitchen counter and decided she'd call in and pay it for them for a Christmas present. Well, Time Warner put her credit card on file. So every month after that when her parents called in to pay the bill (hello, why not automate it?) Time Warner would ask if they wanted to use the credit card on file and they would say yes, thinking it was theirs. So now, not only has the original girl not noticed for the last 15 months that she's been charged over $2000 for cable, apparently her parents never look at their bill either to notice that they HAVEN'T been getting charged!!! I guess at least we know where she gets it from now...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3981 on: March 03, 2016, 07:47:17 AM »

Very true!  Mine was going on 9 months when I got him, but housetrained (from living outside), and I could see that he was goofy, child-friendly, and exceedingly tolerant.  Puppies all sort of have the same personality, but adolescent dogs you can see a bit more of their individuality, I think.

I swear both of our rescues gave me a canine version of thank you for years. Both really seemed grateful to have a home.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3982 on: March 03, 2016, 08:52:47 AM »

So the same girl posted an update last night. I didn't think this could get worse...

Turns out back in December 2014 she was at her parents' house and saw their Time Warner bill lying on the kitchen counter and decided she'd call in and pay it for them for a Christmas present. Well, Time Warner put her credit card on file. So every month after that when her parents called in to pay the bill (hello, why not automate it?) Time Warner would ask if they wanted to use the credit card on file and they would say yes, thinking it was theirs. So now, not only has the original girl not noticed for the last 15 months that she's been charged over $2000 for cable, apparently her parents never look at their bill either to notice that they HAVEN'T been getting charged!!! I guess at least we know where she gets it from now...
On a somewhat related note, I once logged into my microsoft account for the first time in a long time to reactivate my xbox live subscription and play some games with friends in my home town.  While I was in college, a roommate reactivated my account for a month or two (he was the only one using it at the time).  Turns out his card was still registered to the account and he wasn't careful to uncheck automatic subscription renewal.  He got charged for something like $90 and had no idea until I called him to let him know.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3983 on: March 03, 2016, 09:09:05 AM »
My neighbor friend who seems to constantly be trying new/expensive trends and has had an MLM business for which she posts daily on facebook had a post this morning that I ignored but then my mom told me to read the comments.  Sharing the quotes here because I know some of you are brave enough to be like the commenter, but I'm not, and so mom and I were totally cheering him on (to ourselves, but I also "liked" the guy's comments -- I'm getting braver!):

Friend:  "I've been struggling with whether I want to continue selling R+F but I LOVE my results too much to give up yet! These products really do work.
I promise, try it--you won't regret it. We have a regimen for just about any skin concern. Doesn't matter if you are male, female,young or old. We can get you looking your best. . . . Message me to get started!"

Irrelevant Commenters:  [Cheering on my MLM friend because they are also consultants in this MLM]

Smart Commenter:  "It would be nice to have some of my friends back.... Tired of only seeing their business posts..."

Friend:  "I know, I get overwhelmed with them too. One of the reasons I struggle with this. I don't want to spam my friends but seriously, it's the best products I've used! You know, we girls like to look out best and my R+F skincare has given me just a little more confidence as I age!"

Smart Commenter:  "I totally understand.. But there needs to be balance.. The bombardment just seems desperate.. Not to mention usually these posts are strictly filled with other comments by other consultants.. Not just average joes who use the products... A smart kid sees it all as sales plots not real story's."
Ha ha yes, it can get overwhelming.
I have a friend who is a R+F consultant.  A few friends actually.  But they don't post about it (they do love the products).
I just started seeing posts about the leggings... don't know the name, nobody I know sells them but man ... I'm sorry they are ugly!
Then there are the warring essential oils (Young Living vs. doTerra).

I think probably some of the MLMs are great for some people.  I mean, the actual products not necessarily the company.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3984 on: March 03, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »

this is really funny

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3985 on: March 03, 2016, 09:22:20 AM »

Ha ha yes, it can get overwhelming.
I have a friend who is a R+F consultant.  A few friends actually.  But they don't post about it (they do love the products).
I just started seeing posts about the leggings... don't know the name, nobody I know sells them but man ... I'm sorry they are ugly!
Then there are the warring essential oils (Young Living vs. doTerra).

I think probably some of the MLMs are great for some people.  I mean, the actual products not necessarily the company.

I DO NOT GET the essential oil MLMs. I remember buying essential oils at some hippie grocer 15 years ago and they were a few dollars a bottle and made things smell nice. Now they are super expensive. people collect whole shelves of them, and they cost a fortune. What gives? Someone on a KonMari group posted her joy sparking EO collection and there were a couple hundred of them!

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3986 on: March 03, 2016, 10:14:59 AM »

this is really funny
At least it was somebody she knew and an accident as opposed to a complete stranger using her credit card maliciously.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3987 on: March 03, 2016, 10:15:11 AM »
I DO NOT GET the essential oil MLMs. I remember buying essential oils at some hippie grocer 15 years ago and they were a few dollars a bottle and made things smell nice. Now they are super expensive. people collect whole shelves of them, and they cost a fortune. What gives? Someone on a KonMari group posted her joy sparking EO collection and there were a couple hundred of them!

Oh, haven't you heard? Essential oils are the way to cure everything from warts to cancer.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/why-essential-oils-heal-and-drugs-dont/
http://www.cancertutor.com/are-essential-oils-the-missing-link-to-cancer-prevention/
http://www.dancingsuncabins.com/files/Essential_Oil_documents.pdf

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3988 on: March 03, 2016, 10:17:30 AM »
Confession: For three consecutive months I overpaid my condo maintenance/assessment by nearly $800 and didn't even notice.  I literally "lost" ~$2400 and didn't pick up on it.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3989 on: March 03, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »

this is really funny
At least it was somebody she knew and an accident as opposed to a complete stranger using her credit card maliciously.

I'm not sure if that's really better.  At least with a complete stranger, she may be able to get some of the charges canceled for fraud (though maybe not due to her long-term negligence).  But with them being valid charges by her parents, is she planning to ask them to repay her for all those months?  Awkward.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3990 on: March 03, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »

Oh, haven't you heard? Essential oils are the way to cure everything from warts to cancer.

http://www.cancertutor.com/are-essential-oils-the-missing-link-to-cancer-prevention/
One of my friends swears by them, and how her family doesn't get sick anymore, or get better really fast.  So shoot, I bought one kind and tried it.  Didn't work.  I've fine with trying things!

Zicam works though.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3991 on: March 03, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »

One of my friends swears by them, and how her family doesn't get sick anymore, or get better really fast.  So shoot, I bought one kind and tried it.  Didn't work.  I've fine with trying things!

Zicam works though.

There is no scientific evidence that Zicam or any other product can prevent colds or speed recovery. There is, however, some evidence that certain Zicam products can cause users to lose their sense of smell.
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/fda-zicam-warning/

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #3992 on: March 03, 2016, 01:11:37 PM »
"X X the luckiest girl the world, she's inherited our old 50" tv for her room!"

Daughter is 6.

Poster is an ex-colleague who's already been bankrupt once.

We have a 32" TV. But we're the retired ones ;)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3993 on: March 03, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »
One of my friends swears by them, and how her family doesn't get sick anymore, or get better really fast.

Gotta love anecdotal data :-)  One of my co-workers takes some vitamin/antioxidant MLM thing which costs hundreds of dollars per year per person, and swears she and her husband NEVER get sick. (Nevermind that I've known her for 15 years and I can remember a number of occasions when she was sick. And nevermind that her husband has a lot of health problems. Ahem.)  She convinced a co-worker of mine to try it and within 10 days both of them were down with some horrifying cold and cough that lasted for three weeks. She tried to convince us all for several days that she had some kind of sudden, mysterious allergy because she's coughing and sneezing and runny nosed but she can't POSSIBLY be sick because she NEVER gets sick... LOL. The bad part is because she's "not sick" she pays no attention to germs, hand-washing, etc. and gives the virus to everyone in the office.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3994 on: March 03, 2016, 01:35:30 PM »

this is really funny

I'm not sure if that's really better.  At least with a complete stranger, she may be able to get some of the charges canceled for fraud (though maybe not due to her long-term negligence).  But with them being valid charges by her parents, is she planning to ask them to repay her for all those months?  Awkward.

A few years ago after living in a new apartment for a year I discovered my neighbor and I were paying each others electric bills.  Somehow the company switched our meter numbers and none of us noticed - until I was gone for a month and received a $200 bill.  The company fixed it pretty quick and I didn't owe a dime for about 6 months. My neighbor must have been hating life having the exact opposite problem though. He was running up $100-$200 a month while receiving bills for $40-$50.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3995 on: March 03, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
I DO NOT GET the essential oil MLMs. I remember buying essential oils at some hippie grocer 15 years ago and they were a few dollars a bottle and made things smell nice. Now they are super expensive. people collect whole shelves of them, and they cost a fortune. What gives?
Have you tried suggesting to the people you are buying from that the oil price has dropped so they should now only cost 1/4 as much ?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3996 on: March 03, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »

Zicam works though.

There is no scientific evidence that Zicam or any other product can prevent colds or speed recovery. There is, however, some evidence that certain Zicam products can cause users to lose their sense of smell.
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/fda-zicam-warning/

Sorry, should have clarified "for me".

I don't use the nasal spray, just the lozenges.  So no loss of smell.

Most of the time it works, I should say.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3997 on: March 03, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »
I DO NOT GET the essential oil MLMs. I remember buying essential oils at some hippie grocer 15 years ago and they were a few dollars a bottle and made things smell nice. Now they are super expensive. people collect whole shelves of them, and they cost a fortune. What gives?
Have you tried suggesting to the people you are buying from that the oil price has dropped so they should now only cost 1/4 as much ?

This is awesome. Totally mess with their minds!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3998 on: March 03, 2016, 08:18:36 PM »

Is it possible to make them at home? I need to look into this, maybe I can market them as "artisan hand-crafted essential oil."

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #3999 on: March 03, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »

Is it possible to make them at home? I need to look into this, maybe I can market them as "artisan hand-crafted essential oil."
Of course. How do you think the village apothecary did it way back in olden times?