Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082359 times)

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6600 on: September 12, 2017, 02:10:50 PM »
I don't think a dog will make it 125km post-McDonald's without some serious digestive issues.  There are many problems here.

I agree.  next I will hear about the expensive vet bill to fix the dog.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6601 on: September 12, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »
I don't think a dog will make it 125km post-McDonald's without some serious digestive issues.  There are many problems here.

I agree.  next I will hear about the expensive vet bill to fix the dog.

Or get the car detailed.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6602 on: September 12, 2017, 02:18:47 PM »

Well that may be true of designer/defective dogs, most dogs can handle varied diets just fine. The problem arises when the dog that never gets table scraps gets scraps/human food all at once. Their digestive system just isn't used to it.

Of course that in no way condones driving to purchase human food for a dog. Our dogs get scraps only when the humans are done with them or they're close to turning.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6603 on: September 12, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »

Well that may be true of designer/defective dogs, most dogs can handle varied diets just fine. The problem arises when the dog that never gets table scraps gets scraps/human food all at once. Their digestive system just isn't used to it.

Of course that in no way condones driving to purchase human food for a dog. Our dogs get scraps only when the humans are done with them or they're close to turning.
While I agree with this mindset (and our dogs do get some table scraps), McDonald's hardly even counts as human food.  I feel like shit if I eat that; I can't imagine what a dog used to kibble would feel.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #6604 on: September 12, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
There was some talk about home prices in our area, and how home values have sky rocketed in the past 6 years. One person mentioned refinancing for the second time in 2 years.

I commented: Does anyone else feel like refinancing to pay for remodels sounds like financing your purchases for the remainder of your mortgage?

The reply:  Mortgage debt is better than any kind of debt you can have. I've rolled my car loan and credit card debt into my mortgage on my last refi. I've gained so much equity in my home that I'm essentially just utilizing money I've already garnered from the home to improve its value more.

This comment was met with much acclaim and enthusiasm.

I didn't bother to comment "You're still financing your remodel for 30 years vs simply paying for it..."

Or, "You realize that with the closing costs, your APR on that expense is like 7-8%..."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:09:37 PM by bigalsmith101 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6605 on: September 12, 2017, 05:13:35 PM »

While I agree with this mindset (and our dogs do get some table scraps), McDonald's hardly even counts as human food.  I feel like shit if I eat that; I can't imagine what a dog used to kibble would feel.

In a pinch, I'd give my dog the meat from a plain hamburger.  It's a little fatty and salty for him (better if you can ask for no salt), but it's just beef.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6606 on: September 12, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »
The Venomous Spaz Beast loves a Chicken McNugget-- she considers it "play" food and attacks it. But it's pretty salty so I don't give her one very often.

The exception is near the end of a long road trip. I find it un-constipates her nicely and forces her to rehydrate.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6607 on: September 12, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »
One of my cats apparently has his grandmother wrapped around his paw.  She gets KFC specifically so she can share it with him.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6608 on: September 12, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
One of my cats apparently has his grandmother wrapped around his paw.  She gets KFC specifically so she can share it with him.

I'd love to know how Grandma decided kitty likes KFC. I'm enjoying picturing the two of them conspiring behind your back.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6609 on: September 12, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
In a pinch, I'd give my dog the meat from a plain hamburger.  It's a little fatty and salty for him (better if you can ask for no salt), but it's just beef (needs citation per wikipedia rules).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6610 on: September 12, 2017, 09:11:55 PM »
In a pinch, I'd give my dog the meat from a plain hamburger.  It's a little fatty and salty for him (better if you can ask for no salt), but it's just beef (needs citation per wikipedia rules).

Are you one of those?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6611 on: September 13, 2017, 12:53:47 AM »

Are you one of those?

Nope, I'm not one of THEM, even though a Seattle street person once claimed I was 30 years ago..
I'm just remarking on how difficult it is to PROVE that the generic hamburger ISN'T Soylent Green.

I think it was Consumer Reports that mentioned that fish DNA test did not always corespond to the label at the point of sale.

edit: Yup....    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/05/dna-tests-find-disturbingly-widespread-seafood-fraud/index.htm
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:57:00 AM by markbike528CBX »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #6612 on: September 13, 2017, 01:39:13 AM »
Quote from: markbike528CBX link=topic=6907.msg1693651#msg1693651
Nope, I'm not one of THEM, even though a Seattle street person once claimed I was 30 years ago..
I'm just remarking on how difficult it is to PROVE that the generic hamburger ISN'T Soylent Green.

Or horse meat.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6613 on: September 13, 2017, 05:43:08 AM »

Or horse meat.

In the US, horsemeat consumption by humans is allegedly unusual.   No infrastructure.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6614 on: September 13, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
Friend: Which of my friends sells Lularoe? I need leggings stat!

Me: Pretty sure if any of your friends sold it, YOU'D FUCKIN' KNOW. Ahahaha
This reminds me of the joke: How do you know if somebody is vegan? don't worry, they'll tell you.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6615 on: September 13, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »
Friend: Which of my friends sells Lularoe? I need leggings stat!

Me: Pretty sure if any of your friends sold it, YOU'D FUCKIN' KNOW. Ahahaha
This reminds me of the joke: How do you know if somebody is vegan? don't worry, they'll tell you.

See also: Crossfit, vaping, etc....

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6616 on: September 13, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »

Are you one of those?

I think it was Consumer Reports that mentioned that fish DNA test did not always corespond to the label at the point of sale.

edit: Yup....    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/05/dna-tests-find-disturbingly-widespread-seafood-fraud/index.htm

I think it's more likely that the dog food I buy is adulterated than that the human food is.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6617 on: September 13, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »

Or horse meat.

In the US, horsemeat consumption by humans is allegedly unusual.   No infrastructure.

In my country there is an infrastructure for horsemeat and a few years back there was a massive scandal because some horsemeat got mixed up with beef.

I can't say I was that bothered. Of course, food contamination shouldn't happen, but horses aren't kept for their meat. Horses that get butchered are all former pets. They have had a much better life than the average cow or pig. In the same way I really can't understand why people have such problems with eating game meat (if you believe in eating meat of course, and I'm not talking about endangered species).

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #6618 on: September 13, 2017, 03:55:33 PM »

Or horse meat.

In my country there is an infrastructure for horsemeat and a few years back there was a massive scandal because some horsemeat got mixed up with beef.

I can't say I was that bothered. Of course, food contamination shouldn't happen, but horses aren't kept for their meat. Horses that get butchered are all former pets. They have had a much better life than the average cow or pig. In the same way I really can't understand why people have such problems with eating game meat (if you believe in eating meat of course, and I'm not talking about endangered species).

Wasn't there something about it being racehorses?  From Wikipedia "Sports horses, for example, could have entered the food supply chain, and with them the veterinary drug phenylbutazone which is banned in food animals."

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #6619 on: September 13, 2017, 04:26:47 PM »
I live in a HCOL suburb with a *fantastic* school system (and magnet schools in the area for high school if your child is particularly gifted/smart).  Saw on FB that a friend of a friend is looking for a private school for their child to start Kindergarten next year.  They are willing to pay $20k + per year for an "Ivy-league" quality education for the munchkin. 

Those who suggested the excellent public schools were told "that's not an option" with no reason given.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6620 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »

Or horse meat.

Wasn't there something about it being racehorses?  From Wikipedia "Sports horses, for example, could have entered the food supply chain, and with them the veterinary drug phenylbutazone which is banned in food animals."

Yeah, we give our horses all kinds of stuff labeled as not to be used on animals intended for food, or there is a certain waiting period specified after administering the drug.  They get dewormers, bute,  previcox, various dietary supplements, feed-through fly control, and who knows what else (not necessarily my horses, but in general).

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #6621 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
Those who suggested the excellent public schools were told "that's not an option" with no reason given.

Funny, the wife and I both went to public schools. We've got 5 college degrees between the 2 of us and are pretty successful, on track to retire by 40. I wonder what the extra value is of sending them to private school? I think a lot of a child's success depends on their level of "give a shit" (and their parents').

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6622 on: September 14, 2017, 09:44:26 AM »

Funny, the wife and I both went to public schools. We've got 5 college degrees between the 2 of us and are pretty successful, on track to retire by 40. I wonder what the extra value is of sending them to private school? I think a lot of a child's success depends on their level of "give a shit" (and their parents').
I don't have a source at hand, but I've heard that parental involvement is the #1 factor in a student's academic success, far above the quality of the school itself.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6623 on: September 14, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »

I don't have a source at hand, but I've heard that parental involvement is the #1 factor in a student's academic success, far above the quality of the school itself.
That's academic success, what about life success?  Financial?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6624 on: September 14, 2017, 10:55:31 AM »

THANK YOU! I've had academic success but there is just something missing and I just realized what it is. It was the fact that lacrosse wasn't offering at my public high school!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6625 on: September 14, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »

THANK YOU! I've had academic success but there is just something missing and I just realized what it is. It was the fact that lacrosse wasn't offering at my public high school!

I didn't have a religion class every semester at my public high school, so my life sucks now. Thankfully I was able to take classes at the community college though, so that almost makes up for it.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6626 on: September 14, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »

Oh honey, cry me a river. We had lacrosse but not hockey. Do you know how much social stress that has put me under? Even the state schools did hockey! How am I supposed to talk to people if I can't make hockey jokes?!

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #6627 on: September 14, 2017, 01:30:27 PM »

I wanted to ask, but, I didn't want to ask, IYKWIM, because the folks who mentioned it were shot down so quickly.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6628 on: September 14, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »

I wanted to ask, but, I didn't want to ask, IYKWIM, because the folks who mentioned it were shot down so quickly.

I went to a private school, despite being in a top public school district.  Being a special snowflake dragonkin, I just wasn't happy at the public school.  Didn't get along with the peer group, teacher bored me, etc.  Sure, I could have done fine in public -- gotten good grades, had the same university prospects.  In other words, I would have had academic success regardless.

But I was happier at the private school because it was small (I knew literally every kid there), small classes, highly involved teachers, and an education philosophy that taught me more about life.  In public, I would have just been wasting a significant portion of the day.  In private I was more engaged.

That's certainly not to say that it was necessary, financially smart, or universal to every school and kid.  But I can say for certain that I, personally, am a better person for it.  I'm happy to send my kid to public school if that works for them.  If it's not working, though, I'd consider the expense of private.

edit: more to the point of my original comment, which was shockingly mocked (shocking!), if I lived in a bad school district, I'm still sure my kid could have academic success.  Maybe even more so, if the peer group was disadvantaged.  But some bad schools are bad because they are in an economically challenged warzone.  Living in constant fear of personal safety, despite having good grades, with no access to good enrichment activities within the school system, I'm not sure that's a definition of success I want to adopt. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:17:35 PM by dragoncar »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6629 on: September 15, 2017, 12:24:12 AM »

My bad, I couldn't resist* responding sarcastically. I'm glad dragoncar was able to give you a well-thought answer.

*Well technically I could resist, but actively chose not to.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6630 on: September 15, 2017, 12:27:42 AM »

I went to a private school, despite being in a top public school district.  Being a special snowflake dragonkin, I just wasn't happy at the public school.  Didn't get along with the peer group, teacher bored me, etc.  Sure, I could have done fine in public -- gotten good grades, had the same university prospects.  In other words, I would have had academic success regardless.

But I was happier at the private school because it was small (I knew literally every kid there), small classes, highly involved teachers, and an education philosophy that taught me more about life.  In public, I would have just been wasting a significant portion of the day.  In private I was more engaged.

You make some great points. I should add that the high school I went to was exceptional. I am certain that my parents would have been willing to put me in private school had I been unhappy or unchallenged. I was tracked into more challenging courses such as taking Calculus as a sophomore, which introduced me to a lot of really smart people in my grade that I became great friends with. Of course with every school, private ones included, YMMV.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6631 on: September 15, 2017, 05:34:27 AM »

You make some great points. I should add that the high school I went to was exceptional. I am certain that my parents would have been willing to put me in private school had I been unhappy or unchallenged. I was tracked into more challenging courses such as taking Calculus as a sophomore, which introduced me to a lot of really smart people in my grade that I became great friends with. Of course with every school, private ones included, YMMV.

Just chiming in to say I had a somewhat different experience of private school than dragoncar (though of course I'm very glad you were happy there.)  For me, knowing all the other kids turned out to be a bad thing, because the private school was way 'cliquier' than the public school I switched to later.  The kids were all from similar, wealthy backgrounds, and you could pick out the kids with tuition breaks from a mile away.  For me, the difference was the teachers were happier* and on average better at their job than in public schools, possibly in part due to private school teachers not being unionized (at least where I was) so it was much easier to get rid of bad teachers, plus the 'better' students and more engaged parents made it a less stressful environment for them.  So as a tuition-break student, I definitely benefited from the more engaged teachers, but suffered socially from the tight-knit student body and perceived difference in social class.

TLDR: Private schools vary just as much as public schools, so do your research and don't assume private is better in every way, for every kid.  Though they often are :)

*Citations: 6 years in private school as a faculty kid, several years before and after in public school, and a parent who was a teacher at both public and private schools.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #6632 on: September 15, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
Just chiming in to say I had a somewhat different experience of private school than dragoncar (though of course I'm very glad you were happy there.)  For me, knowing all the other kids turned out to be a bad thing, because the private school was way 'cliquier' than the public school I switched to later.  The kids were all from similar, wealthy backgrounds, and you could pick out the kids with tuition breaks from a mile away.  For me, the difference was the teachers were happier* and on average better at their job than in public schools, possibly in part due to private school teachers not being unionized (at least where I was) so it was much easier to get rid of bad teachers, plus the 'better' students and more engaged parents made it a less stressful environment for them.  So as a tuition-break student, I definitely benefited from the more engaged teachers, but suffered socially from the tight-knit student body and perceived difference in social class.

Amen.  I went to a private religious school and definitely cliquey.  Knowing everyone = small pool of dating prospects (I dated a guy at the public school).  Small school = fewer AP classes; I was jealous of the classes  my friends were taking at the public school.  My husband graduated from a great public school in a very wealthy neighborhood with great Advanced Placement classes, went on to graduate from college in 3.5 years and got a job that usually requires a Master's degree.  I am not as religious as my parents, I want my kid to have access to classes that appropriately challenge her, she is going to public schools unless some compelling other reasons come up.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6633 on: September 15, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »
On the FB local moms sale page:

Date night, Hamilton tickets!  $1600 (what I paid), center orchestra, tonight at 8.

OMG do people actually pay that much?  Google took me to the page for the LA showing, and yes, they actually do go for that.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #6634 on: September 15, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »
On the FB local moms sale page:

Date night, Hamilton tickets!  $1600 (what I paid), center orchestra, tonight at 8.

OMG do people actually pay that much?  Google took me to the page for the LA showing, and yes, they actually do go for that.

...and meanwhile, 2/3 of Americans wouldn't be able to cover a $1000 emergency without going into debt. I wonder if spending has anything to do with it.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6635 on: September 15, 2017, 04:55:49 PM »
Just one little anecdote to add to private vs. public school.  I went to public through 8th grade, but then attended an exceptional private high school.  I could write pages and pages about how much I benefited from being there, but that's not what I want to go into here.  The cool thing for me, at the moment, is that I have been taking a mini-retirement for a little over a year now -- I'm 36 -- and on a whim, I extended it longer because a friend FROM HIGH SCHOOL posted on Facebook that he was looking for someone to take care of his dog for him while he had to travel for nearly 6 weeks.  So, guess who's living for free in a freaking awesome part of Lisbon, Portugal, taking a holiday with a super sweet pup, all because she met this guy in private high school whom she otherwise never would have met?  Yup, me :-)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:26:13 PM by LeRainDrop »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6636 on: September 15, 2017, 09:18:59 PM »
Just one little anecdote to add to private vs. public school.  I went to public through 8th grade, but then attended an exceptional private high school.  I could write pages and pages about how much I benefited from being there, but that's not what I want to go into here.  The cool thing for me, at the moment, is that I have been taking a mini-retirement for a little over a year now -- I'm 36 -- and on a whim, I extended it longer because a friend FROM HIGH SCHOOL posted on Facebook that he was looking for someone to take care of his dog for him while he had to travel for nearly 6 weeks.  So, guess who's living for free in a freaking awesome part of Lisbon, Portugal, taking a holiday with a super sweet pup, all because she met this guy in private high school whom she otherwise never would have met?  Yup, me :-)

How sweet is the pup? Details please; I'm always interested in how other people's canines stack up against my Venomous Spaz Beast, satisfaction-wise.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6637 on: September 16, 2017, 11:01:13 AM »

How sweet is the pup? Details please; I'm always interested in how other people's canines stack up against my Venomous Spaz Beast, satisfaction-wise.

Well, he loves to cuddle, do cute wiggles on his back for belly rubs, and nuzzle into me for hugs. He's very vocal, not like barking, but groaning and humming in different tones so that you can talk back to him the same way. And he is amazing at howling, if you howl first and prompt him to get going on it. He also likes running and then looking back at me for approval, and playing racing games with me. As an added benefit, there is a waiter at a cafe near where I live who kinda gives me the creeps and when that guy comes over to bug me, the dog barks at him, haha! On the outside, I'm like, "no, don't bark at people," but when I get in the flat, I'm like, "Good boy!!!"

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6638 on: September 16, 2017, 01:23:12 PM »
GrimSqueaker - I always assumed that the Venomous Spaz Beast was a human child! Oops!

Oof. I did adopt a daughter as well, but the Venomous Spaz Beast is a pointy eared space alien some know as a "Chihuahua". Overall I'd have to say the dog likes me better.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #6639 on: September 18, 2017, 09:49:49 AM »
Saw this gem on The Facebook today -

Happy Anniversary to the best wife in the world. As I told you earlier today, throughout this first year of marriage I have learned many things. One is how much you like to spend money as I am beyond nervous every time I check the bank statement. However, I've also learned that you can't buy what we have -- Love is something that you can't put a price on. I am the luckiest man in the world to have fallen in love with you.

Wow. Just wow.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #6640 on: September 18, 2017, 09:58:53 AM »

Happy Anniversary to the best wife in the world. As I told you earlier today, throughout this first year of marriage I have learned many things. One is how much you like to spend money as I am beyond nervous every time I check the bank statement. However, I've also learned that you can't buy what we have -- Love is something that you can't put a price on. I am the luckiest man in the world to have fallen in love with you.

Wow. Just wow.

Eeesh.  Between the scary financial differences and then publicly talking about the new spouse's flaws in the guise of a "happy anniversary" post, this relationship looks like it is in trouble.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #6641 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »

Wow. Just wow.

Eeesh.  Between the scary financial differences and then publicly talking about the new spouse's flaws in the guise of a "happy anniversary" post, this relationship looks like it is in trouble.

Well, I do know she wrecked her car a few months ago and ended up getting a brand new Lexus out of the deal.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:34:26 AM by cheapass »

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6642 on: September 18, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »

Wow. Just wow.

I have a long-held and oft-proven hypothesis that everyone who posts open love-letter type FB statuses to their SO is having relationship problems.

This one has the advantage of not only re-proving that hypothesis, but making the relationship problem crystal clear.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6643 on: September 18, 2017, 03:25:01 PM »

Wow. Just wow.

I have a long-held and oft-proven hypothesis that everyone who posts open love-letter type FB statuses to their SO is having relationship problems.

This one has the advantage of not only re-proving that hypothesis, but making the relationship problem crystal clear.

Ya... I would like to think a couple that is happy together doesn't need the world to validate it, but sometimes it's nice to share your joy I guess.

Just reading it carefully... he seems to indicate he only learned about her spending habits after marrying her?

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #6644 on: September 18, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »

Wow. Just wow.

Ya... I would like to think a couple that is happy together doesn't need the world to validate it, but sometimes it's nice to share your joy I guess.

Just reading it carefully... he seems to indicate he only learned about her spending habits after marrying her?

How could he possibly have learned something like that ahead of time? </s>

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6645 on: September 19, 2017, 06:42:45 AM »

I brought up finances with my ex-wife before we got married.  I wanted to make sure we each had a clear picture of what the other person's finances looked like and make sure we were in agreement on how money would be handled.  She had more debt than I would carry and she was a bit more spendy than I am, but I didn't see anything that was a deal breaker.  I started getting worried when, on our wedding night, both of her brothers mentioned that they were significantly helping her out.  Two weeks after we were married, she told me about her bankruptcy, large 401k loan, and the rest of her credit cards.  She moved into my house and we had hers on the market.  I found out from the title company about her second mortgage. 

I didn't post anything on the internet about it, but I can definitely see how one can not have a clear picture of their fiancee's finances before marriage.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6646 on: September 19, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »

I brought up finances with my ex-wife before we got married.  I wanted to make sure we each had a clear picture of what the other person's finances looked like and make sure we were in agreement on how money would be handled.  She had more debt than I would carry and she was a bit more spendy than I am, but I didn't see anything that was a deal breaker.  I started getting worried when, on our wedding night, both of her brothers mentioned that they were significantly helping her out.  Two weeks after we were married, she told me about her bankruptcy, large 401k loan, and the rest of her credit cards.  She moved into my house and we had hers on the market.  I found out from the title company about her second mortgage. 

I didn't post anything on the internet about it, but I can definitely see how one can not have a clear picture of their fiancee's finances before marriage.

I'm sorry but... what? You didn't probe... ask further questions... get a feeling when she brushed you off on inconsistencies?

How long were you dating before you married the now ex?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6647 on: September 19, 2017, 09:44:40 PM »
GrimSqueaker - I always assumed that the Venomous Spaz Beast was a human child! Oops!

Oof. I did adopt a daughter as well, but the Venomous Spaz Beast is a pointy eared space alien some know as a "Chihuahua". Overall I'd have to say the dog likes me better.

Aaack! I'm sorry for the faux-pas! I think that I remember reading one of your hilarious posts about VSB being 3, and given that all of the toddlers that I've know have been terrors and that my parents called my sister and I similarly endearing names, it made sense to read about you tiptoeing around in the morning to try not to wake it.

No worries, no harm done. The VSB at the time was 3 pounds. And you're right, I didn't want to wake her.

The VSB is now 4 pounds 11 ounces soaking wet and I don't think she's going to grow anymore. She turned a full year old sometime this month (we don't know exactly when) and is officially no longer a pup. I threw her a party on Labor Day and a couple dozen of her best friends came to chill and eat burgers. A few weeks ago we took a road trip up to Wyoming to see the eclipse. She was sweet, calm, interested in what was going on around her, and in a fantastic mood overall. The obedience classes helped.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6648 on: September 20, 2017, 07:16:31 AM »

Or horse meat.

The mix-up was not the biggest problem, it was mainly because the horsemeat was contaminated with Glenbuterol (excuse the spelling) which is a known carcinogenic and not suitable for consumption.

londonstache

• Stubble
« Reply #6649 on: September 22, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
My Facebook is being overrun today after TfL (Transport for London) have revoked the licence of Uber to operate in the city.

I'm thoroughly confused. How are these non-millionaires justifying the usage of a personal chauffeur service, particularly given the exceptionally robust, cost-effective 24-hour public transport system we have?