Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082609 times)

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6850 on: November 13, 2017, 07:19:36 AM »
....Reminds me of my coworker getting the expensive extended warranty on his weight plates.  I wish I was making that up.  They're metal plates; there really isn't anything to go wrong.

Heavy man, heavy.

Well, that stinker landed with a thud.
Believe it or not, weight plates are pretty brittle. That's why a lot of gyms have a no-dropping policy. It can damage floors and chip weight plates. If this person plans on acting like an uncivilized fool with his weightlifting set, I can totally see how he would want an extended warranty.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6851 on: November 13, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »
....Reminds me of my coworker getting the expensive extended warranty on his weight plates.  I wish I was making that up.  They're metal plates; there really isn't anything to go wrong.

Heavy man, heavy.

Believe it or not, weight plates are pretty brittle. That's why a lot of gyms have a no-dropping policy. It can damage floors and chip weight plates. If this person plans on acting like an uncivilized fool with his weightlifting set, I can totally see how he would want an extended warranty.

Wait, you're telling me there aren't high end forged* weight sets yet? I smell a marketing opportunity. Surely those crossfit people would buy in. Hmm.

*Forged Artisanal Free Trade Non-conflict weight plates?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:09:32 AM by BDWW »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6852 on: November 13, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »

Heavy man, heavy.

I've had my weight plates for about four years, and they still look basically brand new (and yes, my girlfriend and I actually use them individually multiple times a week).  I don't exactly use them strictly with white gloves and pillows.  My standards for sane use must be higher than I realize.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6853 on: November 13, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »

Heavy man, heavy.

Wait, you're telling me there aren't high end forged* weight sets yet? I smell a marketing opportunity. Surely those crossfit people would buy in. Hmm.

*Forged Artisanal Free Trade Non-conflict weight plates?

You know how StarBucks has a "secret" menu?  Well Rogue Fitness has a similar thing, if you make an insta-tweet-post showing a Fran time under 5 minutes they send you a special link to the gluten free iron.

living_la_vida_mi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6854 on: November 17, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
Friend bragging that she has 2 sets of washer / dryer (a total of 4 machines). She has 3 kids and is a SAHM. I don't even know where to begin. Is this a thing???

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6855 on: November 17, 2017, 09:18:52 AM »
Friend bragging that she has 2 sets of washer / dryer (a total of 4 machines). She has 3 kids and is a SAHM. I don't even know where to begin. Is this a thing???

Oh wow, never heard of this. Is she starting a laundromat in her house??

living_la_vida_mi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6856 on: November 17, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »
Right? And one person commented " that is my dream." Sometimes I feel like I live in another planet.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6857 on: November 17, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
I use this: https://smile.amazon.com/Haier-HLP21N-Pulsator-1-Cubic-Foot-Portable/dp/B002UYSHMM/ref=sr_1_1?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1510936324&sr=1-1&keywords=Haier+HLP21N+Pulsator+1-Cubic-Foot+Portable+Washer

It hooks to my kitchen sink. I'm single and just out of college, so this works well for me. And then air dry clothes. My friends all think it's crazy at first then they are like "oh wow this is actually a huge savings" haha.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #6858 on: November 17, 2017, 09:34:27 AM »

I for one have the biggest issue to remember to switch loads of laundry...I can't imagine having another set on the go would be helpful.

I'm so confused. Facebook is a confusing place.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6859 on: November 17, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »

Well, I know someone with two washing machines (no dryers) but then she has 10 kids so I kind of understand wanting to run two loads of laundry at the same time. I'm pretty sure the machines were second hand too. But for normal people, that's completely crazy. Especially as a SAHM, if you're home most of the day, what's the problem of taking stuff in and out of the machine a few times in a row?

I don't really get how some people have such massive loads of laundry. We are a couple without kids and we run 2 loads a week and my fiance has a job where he gets dirty all the time. I can see how some people would get to 3 if they don't dry their towels after use, but I heard someone say they did 6 loads a week... a couple with office jobs, no kids.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #6860 on: November 17, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
Someone shared this article on fb saying how they are so mad that dealerships can "get away" with stuff like this. People really need to learn how to math.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-long-term-loans-cars-1.4402394

The article itself has some good advice, but it is interesting how people think businesses should be responsible for their personal financial best interests.

(Complete confession, back in 2011 as a new grad I totally "fell victim" to some of these ploys with an under valued trade in, and focus on monthly payments. I leaned my lesson now I buy my cars 2nd hand and in cash monies!)

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #6861 on: November 17, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »
kaypink I agree that individuals need to step up to the plate, but here in Canada we are blessed with a wide array of laws that are designed to prevent this type of usury.

Home buyers are often told by their bank to prepare for heating costs, property taxes, and real estate fees. There are laws against lending to someone who has fixed costs over 60% of their income. It's a bit nanny-state, but given how gullible people can be regarding money, I think it's necessary. People will happily believe what the salesman says if it's what they wanted to hear anyway. (In Canada, a "Financial Adviser" is legally required to act in the best interests of the client. Banks label salespeople as "Financial Advisors", who happily fleece unsuspecting people who can't be bothered to do the math. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank-s-deceptive-titles-put-investments-at-risk-1.4044702)

I'm mostly shocked at the ingenuity of the dealers. Saying "we pay your old loan" when they're just rolling it into the new loan? Ingenious. Labeling it "additional retail value" so the lending institution doesn't catch on? Brilliant.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #6862 on: November 17, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »
Thats true, if they are being unlawful then fair enough, more should be done by the car dealers. I guess for me I read this and went "of course they fudge the math to make it in their best interests" where the reaction on FB was more so shock.

Kind of off topic, but this goes back to a general math literacy issue. TD has a great commercial out now to encourage parents to talk to their kids about money before it is too late. One of the clips shows a young girl looking at her mom's mobile banking and her mom hiding it away from her, and the little girl says something along the lines of "guess I'll learn to budget the hard way" or something like that. 
Edit: Found the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biiqupvCUVo

I also have strong opinions about the fact that (at least in Ontario and NS) the last unit of the last year of mandatory math (grade 11) is the one about interest and compounding. It is tacked on almost like an after thought after years and years of trig and algebra, and by that point it is May-June and even the most math inclined kids could care less about compound interest. I spent a few years tutoring grade 11 math (mostly young spendy teenage girls) and explaining to them how a credit card can get you in debt but also how interest rates can act in your favor was mind blowing to them. I would get very passionate about it...hopefully it made an impact!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:24:19 AM by kaypinkHH »

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #6863 on: November 17, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »
kaypink I agree that individuals need to step up to the plate, but here in Canada we are blessed with a wide array of laws that are designed to prevent this type of usury.

Home buyers are often told by their bank to prepare for heating costs, property taxes, and real estate fees. There are laws against lending to someone who has fixed costs over 60% of their income. It's a bit nanny-state, but given how gullible people can be regarding money, I think it's necessary. People will happily believe what the salesman says if it's what they wanted to hear anyway. (In Canada, a "Financial Adviser" is legally required to act in the best interests of the client. Banks label salespeople as "Financial Advisors", who happily fleece unsuspecting people who can't be bothered to do the math. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank-s-deceptive-titles-put-investments-at-risk-1.4044702)

I'm mostly shocked at the ingenuity of the dealers. Saying "we pay your old loan" when they're just rolling it into the new loan? Ingenious. Labeling it "additional retail value" so the lending institution doesn't catch on? Brilliant.

Pretty scummy to trick people like that.  Also, does Canada not have lemon laws for cars?
Four years ago, she bought a new Hyundai Elantra on an eight-year loan, but the car had multiple mechanical problems in the first few months.

Matthews says she didn't trust the car and tried to return it to the dealership but was denied. Instead, she says, the dealership told her to trade it in for a new car.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6864 on: November 17, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »
It's a bit nanny-state, but given how gullible people can be regarding money, I think it's necessary. People will happily believe what the salesman says if it's what they wanted to hear anyway.

Yeah I keep going back and forth in my head about this concept. I do believe that there should be laws protecting from many of the abuses that go on but at the same time I'm shocked at just how naive or stupid ordinary people can be. The bank where I deposit my company's money is half a block from a paycheck cashing place, and on Fridays I can see more than a few going in there when they (likely) could most likely get a bank account and not have to pay such outrageous fees.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6865 on: November 17, 2017, 12:07:38 PM »
It's a bit nanny-state, but given how gullible people can be regarding money, I think it's necessary. People will happily believe what the salesman says if it's what they wanted to hear anyway.

Yeah I keep going back and forth in my head about this concept. I do believe that there should be laws protecting from many of the abuses that go on but at the same time I'm shocked at just how naive or stupid ordinary people can be. The bank where I deposit my company's money is half a block from a paycheck cashing place, and on Fridays I can see more than a few going in there when they (likely) could most likely get a bank account and not have to pay such outrageous fees.

They might not be able to get a bank account because of continuous overdrafts and such in the past. Apparently it's not that uncommon. I see people talking about overdrafts on Facebook all the time. Then there's all the people who are NOT talking about it in the open...
Or, they might have an existing overdraft on their account and don't want their check to be used for the fees.

Or they could be evading taxes or something. I can't imagine that the majority of people don't know they can get a bank account.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6866 on: November 17, 2017, 12:08:49 PM »

Bank accounts often have outrageous fees, as well. When I lived in Texas, even the credit unions had large fees unless you maintained a large balance.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6867 on: November 17, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »

They might not be able to get a bank account because of continuous overdrafts and such in the past. Apparently it's not that uncommon. I see people talking about overdrafts on Facebook all the time. Then there's all the people who are NOT talking about it in the open...
Or, they might have an existing overdraft on their account and don't want their check to be used for the fees.

Or they could be evading taxes or something. I can't imagine that the majority of people don't know they can get a bank account.

Or they might not be here legally.  That makes it hard to open a bank account.

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #6868 on: November 17, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »

Pretty scummy to trick people like that.  Also, does Canada not have lemon laws for cars?

I'm not overly familiar with any type of lemon law.

A friend of mine had a Subaru which died while under warranty. The dealer tried to say he had put "aftermarket" parts in for the starter, which my friend hadn't. Part of the issue? The car died while on a road trip to northern Newfoundland, and had to be brought back to Ontario by train across northern Quebec. Very expensive. The dealership was hoping to stick him with the bill.

He ended up walking away from Subaru and got a Ford. I don't remember what year/model it was, but it was the first year Ford had that model on the road, and the transmission was crap. He complained to the dealer for months, before walking away and buying a different car (I think he got a cheap Dodge or something?). The transmission was recalled on that particular model 2 months after he'd traded it in.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6869 on: November 17, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »

I for one have the biggest issue to remember to switch loads of laundry...I can't imagine having another set on the go would be helpful.

I'm so confused. Facebook is a confusing place.

Yeah, I can see how it would be marginally useful -- do whites and colors at the same time.  Even better would be two combination washer-dryers.  But that doesn't make it non-ridiculous.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6870 on: November 17, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
I use this: https://smile.amazon.com/Haier-HLP21N-Pulsator-1-Cubic-Foot-Portable/dp/B002UYSHMM/ref=sr_1_1?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1510936324&sr=1-1&keywords=Haier+HLP21N+Pulsator+1-Cubic-Foot+Portable+Washer

It hooks to my kitchen sink. I'm single and just out of college, so this works well for me. And then air dry clothes. My friends all think it's crazy at first then they are like "oh wow this is actually a huge savings" haha.

Darn it where what this when I lived in NYC.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6871 on: November 17, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »

Darn it where what this when I lived in NYC.

Haven't they always had these? I remember my boyfriend's mother had one when I was a teen and that would have been in the late 70s.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6872 on: November 18, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »
Work colleague's husband tagged her in a pic of them with their brand new $75k SUV being driven out of the dealership.

53 thumbs up and counting. I gave one too, because I don't wish to be the guy who always says "holy shit, why the fuck would you do such a thing?"

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6873 on: November 18, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
Work colleague's husband tagged her in a pic of them with their brand new $75k SUV being driven out of the dealership.

53 thumbs up and counting. I gave one too, because I don't wish to be the guy who always says "holy shit, why the fuck would you do such a thing?"

Aaaaand it's not even a good car. >.<

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6874 on: November 18, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »

Also, don't endorse this rubbish!

If you don't have something nice to say...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6875 on: November 18, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »

I would use the "shocked" response, the one with the big eyes and round mouth. It can be interpreted as a compliment.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6876 on: November 19, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »

Way back when we had a dishwasher like that. Worked well. Bought it used so I don't know what it cost new.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6877 on: November 19, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »

A friend of mine had a Subaru which died while under warranty. The dealer tried to say he had put "aftermarket" parts in for the starter, which my friend hadn't. Part of the issue? The car died while on a road trip to northern Newfoundland, and had to be brought back to Ontario by train across northern Quebec. Very expensive. The dealership was hoping to stick him with the bill.

He ended up walking away from Subaru and got a Ford. I don't remember what year/model it was, but it was the first year Ford had that model on the road, and the transmission was crap. He complained to the dealer for months, before walking away and buying a different car (I think he got a cheap Dodge or something?). The transmission was recalled on that particular model 2 months after he'd traded it in.

I think i'd either learn to work on cars or take up bicycling 100% of the time.

Back when I was poor I learned to work on cars. It was the only way to afford one.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #6878 on: November 20, 2017, 11:04:45 AM »
Friend on Facebook just bought a house and is now complaining that they "have to" buy a second washer dryer set because the house has two sets of hookups. She seems really ticked off about it too.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6879 on: November 20, 2017, 11:09:23 AM »
Friend on Facebook just bought a house and is now complaining that they "have to" buy a second washer dryer set because the house has two sets of hookups. She seems really ticked off about it too.

Did you point out that it isn't required? She can chose which hook up is more convenient for her family?

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #6880 on: November 20, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »

Did you point out that it isn't required? She can chose which hook up is more convenient for her family?

Plenty of people already mentioned that. But apparently it would "look funny"

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6881 on: November 20, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »

I didn't even know that two sets of hookups were a things.  I'm just happy that I don't have to go out to the garage to do laundry like my last house.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6882 on: November 20, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
People talking about registry duplicates on the last page are why I'm glad we didn't end up with a registry. I was even just thinking of this yesterday. Originally we were planning the big wedding and all (but trying to stay in budget) and I had made a list of suggested items for your registry. We ended up having a 20 person destination wedding instead due to some family drama, and didn't tell announce it until after the wedding (which was 2 months ago). Yesterday I was comparing the registry list to the list I keep of what items we already have - currently live with the in-laws, so stuff is stored. Besides the fact that there's ridiculous stuff on the suggestions for registries, I was feeling good about not having to do one. No duplicate gifts, and no feeling bad that someone will go spend a lot for something that I could have gotten a deal on. No random cheap things or things that we already have, because I'm more into buy it for life now. And I found the perfect platters myself - some Gordon Ramsay/Royal Doulton serving sets - a large platter and large bowl set, in blue (that's my color!), marked down to $9.99 because it was an online return, and I had a 25% off coupon. There were two sets on the shelf and it seemed like fate. No one else could find me such perfect serving dishes!

When we sold our family house a few years back (my mom passed away and my dad remarried), I kept asking my sister to come go through things with me. My mom had purchased a lot of nicer pans/utensils and pampered chef stuff over the years. My sister was in college and couldn't be bothered, so I ended up packing her a box of the slightly less nice stuff and packed most of the nice things for myself, to replace my own college kitchen stuff. So I have a lot of nice kitchen stuff in storage right now, plus my college stuff, husband's college stuff, and in-laws redid their kitchen last year and had to get new pots/pans (induction) so we got their nice ones they couldn't use anymore. It's all stored in different places though so when we move out I plan on just getting everything out at the same time and keeping the best. Also the majority is stored in the second bedroom of grandma's townhome because she won't use it (it was grandpa's room before he passed)... in-laws have put a full bathroom on the main floor and are now doing a bedroom 'for when they get older' but grandma is reaching a point where she won't be able to live by herself anymore and they don't want her in a nursing home... and it's been discussed that if she is moved into the in-laws house, husband and I could move into the townhouse. So it'd be easier to move in with all that stuff there already... I feel a little bad, but we would take over all maintenance/care of the townhouse, and pay in-laws rent for it but under market value. Seems like a win-win, since they don't want to take rent from us at all.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6883 on: November 20, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »
I'm in a wedding group on Facebook still. A lot of girls in the group make crafts and other wedding things, and are allowed to sell in it. Most of them are neat or cute things, but I could never buy them because I was too cheap/thinking I could make that... I'm crafty (for real, that's my hobby). But the last 6 months or so the group admin has been letting MLM people sell, which is just annoying.

Anyways, the other day they post this bottle of wine... covered in glitter. Admin is asking would anyone be interested in this, so and so just became a rep... It's $59 a bottle, and it's hand glittered. To be clear, this is not sparkly wine, this is regular wine in a bottle covered in glitter. Immediately there are comments like I need sparkly wine, I will be first, Great for birthdays/anniversaries, What do you mean I need sparkly wine every night! And I'm just like... ughh... I would not pay that for a bottle of wine, though I don't have some sophisticated wine palette. I know I've seen some of these girls complain about money, whether it's wedding related, cars, rent, etc etc which is really just their own choices putting them in a bad spot.

After some googling I think it's from One Hope Wine, it sure looks like the picture though I could be wrong. Ok, just googled again and found the MLM page for it. Definitely them. Site says that a portion of every bottle purchased goes to various charities. How about I just buy a $10 bottle of wine, then stop by the animal shelter on the way home and give them $50? Perhaps I will start hand-glittering the $5-$10 bottles of wine and selling them for $25 as a side business?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6884 on: November 20, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
In the great tradition of relabeling "salesperson / salesperson-recruiter", apparently each and every One Hope Wine representative is a "CEO".

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6885 on: November 20, 2017, 01:11:18 PM »
How about glitter in your wine b/c that's what the buyer will have.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #6886 on: November 20, 2017, 01:20:01 PM »
I'll just drop this little gold nugget in the Antimustachian section.  It just seems wrong in so many ways. 
I saw the following advertisement on our local Buy and Sell Facebook page:
One of a kind life-like baby doll. She is 7lbs and 21” long with soft limbs and soft weighted body. Hand rooted hair gorgeous baby doll...$325 All ready to make someone’s Christmas unforgettable.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6887 on: November 20, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
In the great tradition of relabeling "salesperson / salesperson-recruiter", apparently each and every One Hope Wine representative is a "CEO".
Yes,   I love that it's phrased Become a CEO haha

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6888 on: November 20, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »
Those baby dolls and lifelike shelf pets (what else do call them?) are just spooky.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6889 on: November 20, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »
Those baby dolls and lifelike shelf pets (what else do call them?) are just spooky.

Agreed. They're right in the uncanny valley.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6890 on: November 20, 2017, 07:00:03 PM »
I'll just drop this little gold nugget in the Antimustachian section.  It just seems wrong in so many ways. 
I saw the following advertisement on our local Buy and Sell Facebook page:
One of a kind life-like baby doll. She is 7lbs and 21” long with soft limbs and soft weighted body. Hand rooted hair gorgeous baby doll...$325 All ready to make someone’s Christmas unforgettable.

By leaving it in a basket on someone's doorstep and filming the results.

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #6891 on: November 21, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »

Back when I was poor I learned to work on cars. It was the only way to afford one.

My friend is fairly handy (he's from Newf, handiness is a prerequisite out there). His latest vehicle was a boring Dodge, much easier to maintain.

Biking is great here during the 8 months of the year we don't have snow. Winter months, even city buses get stuck in the snow, bikes don't stand a chance. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6892 on: November 21, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »

Also, don't endorse this rubbish!

If you don't have something nice to say...

There are often more than two possible options in any given situation.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #6893 on: November 21, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »

I'm going to call myself out a little bit since this reminds me of my own craziness and rationalization.

In our basement, I have a rectangular 17x24 area I'm boxing in and putting in bamboo flooring. For current use (next 4 years before kids get born and past crawling stage), I plan to have a kick ass workout room. I got a free treadmill and bike, probably will get a low end rower and find some weights and add a pull up bar. I've convinced my self that the room needs 2 50" TVs I'm buying on Thursday as a door buster (1 for when you are facing North on the machines and one west when you are using the free weights) and really proud of how the workout will look in my end.

I have a ton of really good reasons- the bamboo flooring and open layout will allow it to be a kids rec room or overflow room if hosting a big party (its only a five steps down from a bar/rec area). The room is adding 300 sq ft to the house. The two TVs are a one-time cost and I'll stream free entertainment, more likely to work out, friends likely to come over to workout with me, etc My wife is there giving me multiple face punches every time I bring it up.

It's really my only house splurge since moving in 6 months ago. Everything else was hand me downs or true necessities like rakes/weed wackers and other stuff I didn't own previously.... See the rationalizations wont end.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #6894 on: November 21, 2017, 12:18:26 PM »
I've convinced my self that the room needs 2 50" TVs I'm buying on Thursday as a door buster (1 for when you are facing North on the machines and one west when you are using the free weights) and really proud of how the workout will look in my end.

You're trolling, right?!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6895 on: November 21, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »
Got a cost savings idea for you: a mirror!

stashing_it

• Stubble
« Reply #6896 on: November 21, 2017, 11:40:06 PM »
The closest thing I have to a platter is a waiter's tray that I use to feed our dogs their meals.  Yes, I'm their waiter.  And yes, I feel ridiculous using it, but it's so convenient.

It's funny how we don't feel ridiculous for needing to pick up dog's poop. I wonder what aliens would think of us if they saw us picking up after our pets.

I absolutely feel ridiculous cleaning up dog or cat poop and I mention it to my wife all the time.  I created a thread about trying to toilet train my cat (we failed and I have to clean that fucking litter every fucking day).

You might consider getting the Litter-Robot.    I have the black one that you can see on this page

http://odditymall.com/self-cleaning-kitty-litter-robot

I got it 9-10 years ago for $300 or $400, and it still works amazing.     For two cats, I could take the litter out once per week, although maybe every 5 days was better.    It takes regular trash bags, so there aren't any expensive "razor blades" you have to buy.   And it almost never jams up.

Maybe buying a $400 thing for the pets isn't mustachian, but I do like not changing litter every single day.

Note,  this is the official site    https://www.litter-robot.com/     I put in the other link because it appears that they are on generation 2 or 3 now, whereas the link above shows the earlier generation that I have.    I have no idea if the new ones are an improvement or have finicky electronics that make it worse

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #6897 on: November 22, 2017, 06:15:49 AM »
The closest thing I have to a platter is a waiter's tray that I use to feed our dogs their meals.  Yes, I'm their waiter.  And yes, I feel ridiculous using it, but it's so convenient.

It's funny how we don't feel ridiculous for needing to pick up dog's poop. I wonder what aliens would think of us if they saw us picking up after our pets.

I absolutely feel ridiculous cleaning up dog or cat poop and I mention it to my wife all the time.  I created a thread about trying to toilet train my cat (we failed and I have to clean that fucking litter every fucking day).

You might consider getting the Litter-Robot.    I have the black one that you can see on this page

I got it 9-10 years ago for $300 or $400, and it still works amazing.     For two cats, I could take the litter out once per week, although maybe every 5 days was better.    It takes regular trash bags, so there aren't any expensive "razor blades" you have to buy.   And it almost never jams up.

Maybe buying a $400 thing for the pets isn't mustachian, but I do like not changing litter every single day.

Note,  this is the official site    https://www.litter-robot.com/     I put in the other link because it appears that they are on generation 2 or 3 now, whereas the link above shows the earlier generation that I have.    I have no idea if the new ones are an improvement or have finicky electronics that make it worse
I got a similar litter box (I think its ScoopFree) with an elevated platform, we use bagged fresh step crystals instead of the pre-packaged cardboard boxes of litter they like to sell you. Still need to empty and clean it once a week. We got it more for the cat than for us, she licks her hair off if things aren't just right.

But back on topic -
Overheard on facebook that someone complaining previously about the cost of vet bills and the cost of caring for animals just adopted another animal, which is probably more than they're able to care for, because they couldn't produce a litter with their current pets. It makes little sense to me, even as a pet owner.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6898 on: November 22, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »

My friend is fairly handy (he's from Newf, handiness is a prerequisite out there). His latest vehicle was a boring Dodge, much easier to maintain.

Biking is great here during the 8 months of the year we don't have snow. Winter months, even city buses get stuck in the snow, bikes don't stand a chance.
Ford has had transmission problems for he first 1.5-2ys after every new focus drivetrain is released for the last two or three cycles, so my guess is that it was a focus ...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6899 on: November 22, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »

I got a similar litter box (I think its ScoopFree) with an elevated platform, we use bagged fresh step crystals instead of the pre-packaged cardboard boxes of litter they like to sell you. Still need to empty and clean it once a week. We got it more for the cat than for us, she licks her hair off if things aren't just right.

But back on topic -
Overheard on facebook that someone complaining previously about the cost of vet bills and the cost of caring for animals just adopted another animal, which is probably more than they're able to care for, because they couldn't produce a litter with their current pets. It makes little sense to me, even as a pet owner.

A reason to clean the litterbox yourself: monitoring health. Cats don't show illness well. Many times, the only warning you get is something's off in the litterbox.

Plus, I'd love to see those automatic things go up against my 18yo cat with kidney disease. She produces 3x the amount of urine that my 9yo cat does, and they are NOT small clumps. Minimum, I go through 25 pounds (one box) of litter in 1.5 weeks. I buy litter 100+ pounds at a time.