Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082385 times)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3500 on: December 08, 2015, 07:06:10 AM »
I have seen this forum attack people for suggesting that blind disabled 75 year olds might have a cause to use a leaf blower instead of a rake but here we are discussing the pro's to paying someone to pump gas into your car? 

You expect consistency on a place within the Internet?

Expect? No.  Just pointing out how crazy this place is sometimes.  :-)

It's not even inconsistent though, since as stated above the full-service NJ gas is cheaper than neighboring states self-serve.  If the total cost of operating a leaf blower was lower than that of a rake, people might feel differently (come to think of it, my leaf blower was free so it probably is cheaper to run it than to buy a rake)

The fact that gas is cheaper in Jersey is because it is produced in Jersey. If they allowed self serve, gas would be even cheaper. I dislike the government making laws to "protect jobs" which cost average citizens money.

Gas is produced in NJ, the gas tax is the lowest in the country... but bribery and corruption are also a thing in NJ (the origin of the ban on self-service). Still, $1.79/gal isn't bad.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3501 on: December 08, 2015, 08:51:06 AM »
And another one!  Gotta love the holidays!  Perfect time to make extra money off of your gullible friends!:

Top 10 Reasons to JOIN my Rodan + Fields Team TODAY instead of "after the holidays:" 🎄

1. Holiday parties are the PERFECT time to start sharing your business and setting goals! You will see a ton of people with skin who want to support you! Out of town friends and relatives, co-workers' spouses, and meeting new friends!

2. Receive a paycheck in January to help pay for all the Holiday spending! {The start of RESIDUAL INCOME!} 💸

3. Give Gifts from your business kit and R+F store to your friends, family, teachers, Secret Santa exchanges, etc... And at the same time build your client base! #WinWin

4. Tax write-offs for 2015!!! Don't let this pass you up! Saved me $$$

5. Gift giving season provides a great time to give mini-facials to everyone you know with skin! You'll have access to Award-Winning skincare that they can only purchase from an R+F Consultant: YOU!

6. Capitalize on Rodan + Fields' limited time offer to earn back the ENTIRE COST of your Biz Kit before it ends! I did it before this offer existed just with my paycheck and I will teach you HOW!

7. Leverage our Global Expansion ~ join now so you're ready for our expansion into Australia in 2016! We expanded into Canada earlier this year and we sell to Puerto Rico! In Australia with a US address?! Even better!!! Let's get you going!

8. Take advantage of a HUGE SIGN ON BONUS ending December - Over and above getting your products for 50% SAVINGS in your Business Kit! Even if you're just looking for great skincare ~ this is by far THE BEST OFFER for Award-Winning skincare!

9. Give yourself the GIFT of Great Skin! Get started on these products NOW and you'll be looking RADIANT before the Ball Drops on New Years Eve AND ready to help your friends with their New Year’s resolutions to start caring for themselves with great skin or financial freedom in 2016!

10. Give yourself the GIFT of residual income! The gift that will seriously keep on giving! What would an extra $xxx, $x,xxx. or $xx,xxx. a month do for you and your family? That can be YOUR reality!

Let's talk today! 🎁 Join my team!  #rodaningandfieldsing #anyonecandoit #holidayhustle

This probably just proves how pedantic I am, but my biggest issue with this whole thing is the repeated misuse of "residual income".

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3502 on: December 08, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »
And another one!  Gotta love the holidays!  Perfect time to make extra money off of your gullible friends!:

Top 10 Reasons to JOIN my Rodan + Fields Team TODAY instead of "after the holidays:" 🎄

1. Holiday parties are the PERFECT time to start sharing your business and setting goals! You will see a ton of people with skin who want to support you! Out of town friends and relatives, co-workers' spouses, and meeting new friends!

2. Receive a paycheck in January to help pay for all the Holiday spending! {The start of RESIDUAL INCOME!} 💸

3. Give Gifts from your business kit and R+F store to your friends, family, teachers, Secret Santa exchanges, etc... And at the same time build your client base! #WinWin

5. Gift giving season provides a great time to give mini-facials to everyone you know with skin! You'll have access to Award-Winning skincare that they can only purchase from an R+F Consultant: YOU!

6. Capitalize on Rodan + Fields' limited time offer to earn back the ENTIRE COST of your Biz Kit before it ends! I did it before this offer existed just with my paycheck and I will teach you HOW!

7. Leverage our Global Expansion ~ join now so you're ready for our expansion into Australia in 2016! We expanded into Canada earlier this year and we sell to Puerto Rico! In Australia with a US address?! Even better!!! Let's get you going!

8. Take advantage of a HUGE SIGN ON BONUS ending December - Over and above getting your products for 50% SAVINGS in your Business Kit! Even if you're just looking for great skincare ~ this is by far THE BEST OFFER for Award-Winning skincare!

9. Give yourself the GIFT of Great Skin! Get started on these products NOW and you'll be looking RADIANT before the Ball Drops on New Years Eve AND ready to help your friends with their New Year’s resolutions to start caring for themselves with great skin or financial freedom in 2016!

10. Give yourself the GIFT of residual income! The gift that will seriously keep on giving! What would an extra $xxx, $x,xxx. or $xx,xxx. a month do for you and your family? That can be YOUR reality!

Let's talk today! 🎁 Join my team!  #rodaningandfieldsing #anyonecandoit #holidayhustle

This probably just proves how pedantic I am, but my biggest issue with this whole thing is the repeated misuse of "residual income".

OMG, I am laughing so hard.  As soon as I read this list here, I went to facebook to check out my neighbor's page.  She's also with R+ F, so I'm frequently selecting the facebook option to see fewer posts from her -- she posts for R + F every single day.  Anyhow, she's got essentially the same list posted but with some minor tweaks.  (Looks like that "residual income" part is the personal touch added CabinetGuys's friend, or else my neighbor was just smart enough to delete it.)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3503 on: December 08, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »

1. Holiday parties are the PERFECT time to start sharing your business and setting goals! You will see a ton of people with skin

"A ton of people with skin"? I feel like this is setting the bar pretty low for your holiday party.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3504 on: December 08, 2015, 10:05:53 AM »

Ha this is funny!  I  have two friends who sell R+F, but I don't think they are doing well.  They stopped posting about it. I think they really like the products.  I sometimes think I should care more about my skin - I live in a place where looking young is important, and many friends have done laser work on their faces.

But, you know, I'm 45 and fine with looking 45.  If only I didn't have wrinkles, gray hair AND pimples.  I mean seriously.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3505 on: December 08, 2015, 01:24:01 PM »

Boy, everyone I've ever met has skin! What an opportunity!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3506 on: December 08, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
I have seen this forum attack people for suggesting that blind disabled 75 year olds might have a cause to use a leaf blower instead of a rake but here we are discussing the pro's to paying someone to pump gas into your car? 

It's not even inconsistent though, since as stated above the full-service NJ gas is cheaper than neighboring states self-serve.  If the total cost of operating a leaf blower was lower than that of a rake, people might feel differently (come to think of it, my leaf blower was free so it probably is cheaper to run it than to buy a rake)

The fact that gas is cheaper in Jersey is because it is produced in Jersey. If they allowed self serve, gas would be even cheaper. I dislike the government making laws to "protect jobs" which cost average citizens money.

Sure, but that's irrelevant to our analysis since none of us personally control NJ state law

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3507 on: December 08, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
Said dependa Facebook friend from earlier in this string posted a novella this morning.  The jist of which is she cheated on her Tech Sgt husband, is pissed the husband is divorcing her and going for primary custody of the kids due to her unemployment and "anxiety", and just started a go fund me to pay for hospital bills in case the divorce goes through before she can get her heart surgery completed through Tricare (can I just insert how fucking stupid she is and how she totally doesn't realize she's looking at a six figure bill).  On the positive note, shes sooooo happy to be living with her "true love" now.

Now, she'd been having overly mopey posts the past couple of months, and has been asking for money in "OMG guys I need 200 bucks by Friday if anyone has it" so I thought something was up, but holy fucking SHIT.  Talk about things you SHOULDN'T be posting on the internet.  She also in previous posts thinks if Trump becomes president her unemployed ass will just be given a good job, you know, since she has no degree, and near no experience she TOTALLY deserves it because she's a nice person. 

This latest novella  might have earned the de friend button...I didn't think that level of crazy could exist in one person.

As of today she is now "rehoming" her two schnauzers because her new boyfriends place doesn't allow dogs and her "evil" ex keeps them crated while he is at work since they "like to play when no one is around"  The kicker comes from the statement of "There IS a rehoming fee and it is NOT cheap, I paid 1700 for the female 8 months ago alone".  This coming from the one that has been routinely begging money for over a year.

OK, so dilemma time on this one folks.  This woman yesterday has stated that she hasn't eaten in a couple of days, has been posting how she's craving hot dogs, but doesn't have any to eat or money to buy any, and she just had her heart ablation last week which means she's in recovery and not working, and was recently diagnosed with depression...her kids are also not living with her at the moment but will be visiting this week.  She's asking for food donations.  I could order up some groceries from the local shoprite and have her pick them up (I don't want to do a gift card as she'd probably blow it on convenience food from what I've seen). 

My husband says we shouldn't do it because a lot of her current situation is caused by no one other then herself.  Me, I'm seeing someone that is sick (both mentally and physically) and needs food she asked for some other things like contact lens solution, toys for her kids, and gas money that I'm not willing to hand over.  But the other part of me is saying she did this to herself.  She's never had a full time job, she walked out on the husband after forcing him into buying a house 4 months earlier, she's blown money on tattoos, makeup, clothes etc and has consistently bitched about being broke for years, despite her husband bringing in a pretty dang decent salary.

I feel like it's something that would be the right thing to do, someone is sick and in need, but I am afraid of setting a bad precedence.  I also don't know why her family, who lives 20 minutes away from her, while I live 4 states away, isn't helping her out, which makes me leery.

What would you all do?

Sooooo this just all imploded on her, and I feel terrible and I do think I should try to do something to help but I'm not sure what an appropriate response would be (especially since I live 4 states away and haven't seen this chick in upteen years).  This morning she serial posted a crap ton, the jist of which was the boyfriend she left DH for dumped her in an epic fasion, she's 3 months behind on car payments, and late on her $900 rent compiled with a "I haven't felt loved in years, he didn't even tell me why, I've said it before I'll say it again, I've hit rock bottom and it is total hell, can anyone lend me money"

After the prior food post, I had contacted her to let her know that my mom had a ton of free veggies from her garden if she wanted some (seriously my mother is offloading the stuff by the bushel). I figured it was a good compromise, she would have healthy nutritious fruit and veggies as a starting point. She turned me down even though she only lives 10 minutes from my mothers house.  I also found out the guy she was dating was a veteran, and it's possible there is some PTSD in there.  He's been unemployed for like a year.  Now, he should be getting VA disability I thought, or been able to use the GI bill to go to school and collect the BAH in the meantime, all I got was that those weren't options, which leads me to believe he may have been discharged with a Dishonorable.  I let her know about Food banks in the area after this, and told her what resources the military had available for use until the divorce is finalized, she didn't show much interest in any of it.

The part that pisses me off in all of this is the comments to the "he left me" posting.  It was a bunch of hens all saying that she deserved a "man that could provide for her" "a man that can pay her bills, and feed her and the zillion pets" "a man that will love her kids" etc etc, and her agreeing with all of that (which as someone who is fiercely independent and work oriented makes me die a little inside but I can get that living off of someone else is some women's goal, my cousin being at the top of my list).  That's EXACTLY what she had with DH, and apparently that didn't make her happy either?

I'll be up there this weekend to visit my mom, so part of me is wondering if I should do anything.  This is all a catastrophe of her own making but my fear is that she will go suicidal, and as much as I may dislike her personal choices I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.  She still hasn't said why it's not an option to go back to her parents house, and they are on FB, so they can see her posts, and none of her family have done/said anything to support her which makes me leary.  And again, I've offered help in a minimal fashion, and she's turned it down since I don't think it was the "help" she's looking for so at this stage would you folks attempt to help, or just wash your hands of it all?

So I thought I would update ya'll on the latest, and probably most disgusting event (s) that have occurred with this situation over the past week.  I've hit my max with her and at least unfollowed...I can't take it anymore.

So, a little background, she's back with the BF (though he doesn't seem to be treating her well), her car is now broken, needs 1k in repairs, and is about to be repossessed.  Last week she had all sorts of memes posted about being broke and it being the holidays and one about how it's Christmas and it's time for all the parents to gloat with pictures of presents under the tree, and to remember that all kids aren't that lucky (PS...that was her every.single.year. before this one...I mean MOUNTAINS of toys that you could barely see the tree).

To start the jackassery off on Saturday she posted how happy she was that one of her coworkers was able to get her kids on the Toys for Tots list since she had tried and they said they were full.  Said coworker volunteers there and got her on the list.  Fine, whatever, her kids get some toys, no problem there. 

Until yesterday when queen dependa sets up a go fund me, begging for money, saying she is having trouble getting to work since her car is dead, and how she's getting divorced and her evil ex will only bring the kids to her one day a week (dude is Active Duty military, he CAN'T drop them off and pick them up more than that she lives 45 minutes away now) but then goes on to say that more than anything she wants to give her kids a "good" Christmas, and that she's in this position even though she's "never been in a financially bad place before" which is a GIANT lie... so please send her money (READ: car is broken but I want money for MORE toys, even though Toys for Tots, the kids dad, and his whole family is also delivering Christmas).

The straw that broke the camels back for me was today, when she put out a call to "everyone who has been asking what the kids would like for Christmas" here's a list on Amazon.  Out of curiosity I click the link...it's SEVEN PAGES LONG!!!.  Not only that, the first TWO pages were for shit for her and her BOYFRIEND.  And I'm not talking cheap shit either.  She had on a 300 dollar Kitchenaid mixer, not one but TWO North Face jackets for her (200 a piece), another North Face fleece for her boy toy (120), new boots for boy toy to the tune of 150, a kitchen island for 150, a sound machine....70 DOLLAR HAIR KERATIN conditioner (listed as high priority), a waterpick toothbrush, all sorts of expensive yoga wear (and she shouldn't be wearing anything tight if you know what I mean), designer knee high socks for 20 bucks a pair, Ugg shorties, high end 15 buck a pop razors (not disposables of course) and it went on and on.  Then you get to the kids stuff and it's just as bad.  Multiple 100 dollar lego toys, 50 dollar animal family sets, name brand clothes and shoes etc.  I total led up the 7 pages and it was over 4k of CRAP.

So to sum it up, she's broke as shit, behind on rent, broken car that might get repo'd so she's behind on payments there and instead of begging for charity to get her BILLS paid, and the car fixed so she can go to work, she wants 4k of designer shit for her, her boyfriend and her already overly spoiled children....Faith in humanity lost right there...I'm DONE.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3508 on: December 08, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
Said dependa Facebook friend from earlier in this string posted a novella this morning.  The jist of which is she cheated on her Tech Sgt husband, is pissed the husband is divorcing her and going for primary custody of the kids due to her unemployment and "anxiety", and just started a go fund me to pay for hospital bills in case the divorce goes through before she can get her heart surgery completed through Tricare (can I just insert how fucking stupid she is and how she totally doesn't realize she's looking at a six figure bill).  On the positive note, shes sooooo happy to be living with her "true love" now.

Now, she'd been having overly mopey posts the past couple of months, and has been asking for money in "OMG guys I need 200 bucks by Friday if anyone has it" so I thought something was up, but holy fucking SHIT.  Talk about things you SHOULDN'T be posting on the internet.  She also in previous posts thinks if Trump becomes president her unemployed ass will just be given a good job, you know, since she has no degree, and near no experience she TOTALLY deserves it because she's a nice person. 

This latest novella  might have earned the de friend button...I didn't think that level of crazy could exist in one person.

As of today she is now "rehoming" her two schnauzers because her new boyfriends place doesn't allow dogs and her "evil" ex keeps them crated while he is at work since they "like to play when no one is around"  The kicker comes from the statement of "There IS a rehoming fee and it is NOT cheap, I paid 1700 for the female 8 months ago alone".  This coming from the one that has been routinely begging money for over a year.

OK, so dilemma time on this one folks.  This woman yesterday has stated that she hasn't eaten in a couple of days, has been posting how she's craving hot dogs, but doesn't have any to eat or money to buy any, and she just had her heart ablation last week which means she's in recovery and not working, and was recently diagnosed with depression...her kids are also not living with her at the moment but will be visiting this week.  She's asking for food donations.  I could order up some groceries from the local shoprite and have her pick them up (I don't want to do a gift card as she'd probably blow it on convenience food from what I've seen). 

My husband says we shouldn't do it because a lot of her current situation is caused by no one other then herself.  Me, I'm seeing someone that is sick (both mentally and physically) and needs food she asked for some other things like contact lens solution, toys for her kids, and gas money that I'm not willing to hand over.  But the other part of me is saying she did this to herself.  She's never had a full time job, she walked out on the husband after forcing him into buying a house 4 months earlier, she's blown money on tattoos, makeup, clothes etc and has consistently bitched about being broke for years, despite her husband bringing in a pretty dang decent salary.

I feel like it's something that would be the right thing to do, someone is sick and in need, but I am afraid of setting a bad precedence.  I also don't know why her family, who lives 20 minutes away from her, while I live 4 states away, isn't helping her out, which makes me leery.

What would you all do?

Sooooo this just all imploded on her, and I feel terrible and I do think I should try to do something to help but I'm not sure what an appropriate response would be (especially since I live 4 states away and haven't seen this chick in upteen years).  This morning she serial posted a crap ton, the jist of which was the boyfriend she left DH for dumped her in an epic fasion, she's 3 months behind on car payments, and late on her $900 rent compiled with a "I haven't felt loved in years, he didn't even tell me why, I've said it before I'll say it again, I've hit rock bottom and it is total hell, can anyone lend me money"

After the prior food post, I had contacted her to let her know that my mom had a ton of free veggies from her garden if she wanted some (seriously my mother is offloading the stuff by the bushel). I figured it was a good compromise, she would have healthy nutritious fruit and veggies as a starting point. She turned me down even though she only lives 10 minutes from my mothers house.  I also found out the guy she was dating was a veteran, and it's possible there is some PTSD in there.  He's been unemployed for like a year.  Now, he should be getting VA disability I thought, or been able to use the GI bill to go to school and collect the BAH in the meantime, all I got was that those weren't options, which leads me to believe he may have been discharged with a Dishonorable.  I let her know about Food banks in the area after this, and told her what resources the military had available for use until the divorce is finalized, she didn't show much interest in any of it.

The part that pisses me off in all of this is the comments to the "he left me" posting.  It was a bunch of hens all saying that she deserved a "man that could provide for her" "a man that can pay her bills, and feed her and the zillion pets" "a man that will love her kids" etc etc, and her agreeing with all of that (which as someone who is fiercely independent and work oriented makes me die a little inside but I can get that living off of someone else is some women's goal, my cousin being at the top of my list).  That's EXACTLY what she had with DH, and apparently that didn't make her happy either?

I'll be up there this weekend to visit my mom, so part of me is wondering if I should do anything.  This is all a catastrophe of her own making but my fear is that she will go suicidal, and as much as I may dislike her personal choices I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.  She still hasn't said why it's not an option to go back to her parents house, and they are on FB, so they can see her posts, and none of her family have done/said anything to support her which makes me leary.  And again, I've offered help in a minimal fashion, and she's turned it down since I don't think it was the "help" she's looking for so at this stage would you folks attempt to help, or just wash your hands of it all?

So I thought I would update ya'll on the latest, and probably most disgusting event (s) that have occurred with this situation over the past week.  I've hit my max with her and at least unfollowed...I can't take it anymore.

So, a little background, she's back with the BF (though he doesn't seem to be treating her well), her car is now broken, needs 1k in repairs, and is about to be repossessed.  Last week she had all sorts of memes posted about being broke and it being the holidays and one about how it's Christmas and it's time for all the parents to gloat with pictures of presents under the tree, and to remember that all kids aren't that lucky (PS...that was her every.single.year. before this one...I mean MOUNTAINS of toys that you could barely see the tree).

To start the jackassery off on Saturday she posted how happy she was that one of her coworkers was able to get her kids on the Toys for Tots list since she had tried and they said they were full.  Said coworker volunteers there and got her on the list.  Fine, whatever, her kids get some toys, no problem there. 

Until yesterday when queen dependa sets up a go fund me, begging for money, saying she is having trouble getting to work since her car is dead, and how she's getting divorced and her evil ex will only bring the kids to her one day a week (dude is Active Duty military, he CAN'T drop them off and pick them up more than that she lives 45 minutes away now) but then goes on to say that more than anything she wants to give her kids a "good" Christmas, and that she's in this position even though she's "never been in a financially bad place before" which is a GIANT lie... so please send her money (READ: car is broken but I want money for MORE toys, even though Toys for Tots, the kids dad, and his whole family is also delivering Christmas).

The straw that broke the camels back for me was today, when she put out a call to "everyone who has been asking what the kids would like for Christmas" here's a list on Amazon.  Out of curiosity I click the link...it's SEVEN PAGES LONG!!!.  Not only that, the first TWO pages were for shit for her and her BOYFRIEND.  And I'm not talking cheap shit either.  She had on a 300 dollar Kitchenaid mixer, not one but TWO North Face jackets for her (200 a piece), another North Face fleece for her boy toy (120), new boots for boy toy to the tune of 150, a kitchen island for 150, a sound machine....70 DOLLAR HAIR KERATIN conditioner (listed as high priority), a waterpick toothbrush, all sorts of expensive yoga wear (and she shouldn't be wearing anything tight if you know what I mean), designer knee high socks for 20 bucks a pair, Ugg shorties, high end 15 buck a pop razors (not disposables of course) and it went on and on.  Then you get to the kids stuff and it's just as bad.  Multiple 100 dollar lego toys, 50 dollar animal family sets, name brand clothes and shoes etc.  I total led up the 7 pages and it was over 4k of CRAP.

So to sum it up, she's broke as shit, behind on rent, broken car that might get repo'd so she's behind on payments there and instead of begging for charity to get her BILLS paid, and the car fixed so she can go to work, she wants 4k of designer shit for her, her boyfriend and her already overly spoiled children....Faith in humanity lost right there...I'm DONE.

I think you've just won the thread. Wow.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3509 on: December 08, 2015, 04:15:26 PM »
aaaaand I was just showing this to my husband to show him he was right that we shouldn't have helped her in the beginning and noticed she added an 8th page...full of toys...for her cats...I shit you not.  How the FUCK do people like this exist?

crispy

« Reply #3510 on: December 08, 2015, 04:25:59 PM »
A couple we know went through bankruptcy and foreclosure about three years ago. I was hoping it would be a wake-up call for them to get their finances back in order, but it hasn't been.  The fancy vacations and eating out constantly is still going on.  They have also started hanging out with a group that makes serious money and spends it accordingly so I think they are feeling some pressure to keep up.

Anyway, today they posted a picture on Facebook of the house they put a contract on which is twice the size and price of the one they lost just three years ago.  My mind is officially boggled.

im super confused. that amount of student loans, means super high payments, so im surprised they even got approved for the loan. but what ever HTF do you get a mortgage with 200k in defaulted student loans. how do you get anything with student loans in default. i might as well let mine go into default if i  can still get a house and everything else.

something here doesnt add up.

will a bank  approve you with both a bankruptcy and a foreclosure only three years ago?
 don't you also lose out on a lot of first home buyer things that make it easier to secure a loan?

im assuming that to prove they arent useless,  banks are going to demand at least 20% down this time( or maybe that's called hoping).

also on a more cynical note, I assume that getting a "fresh start",  three years ago, gives  enough  time to make on time payments and keep cc balances low enough that you look good on paper

maybe the bank just assumes they will get some interest payments and house in a few years?

I have no idea.  I just know they said they put an offer on it.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This is the same couple whom I have posted about that owe 200K+ in student loans that have been in default for years.  They did a spousal consolidation years ago when that was still allowed.  All their stuff is in his name because her credit is completely shot from the defaulted loans.  We used to be good friends, but I had to back away once I realized all of this. It's fascinating and sickening at the same time.

I asked her this when she told me they were going to start house hunting a few months ago which is when I learned that all the student loans were in her name only.  That's when I started backing away from the friendship.  My understanding is that they are planning to finance the house in his name with his credit (which also has the bankruptcy and foreclosure on it so I don't know how that works).  All the student loans are in her name only and she won't appear on the loan and mortgage so the lender is unaware of that they have 200K in student loans in default.  She doesn't work (because she doesn't want to ay the loans back and knows her wages would be garnished) so I guess there is no reason for her to be on the mortgage since she isn't contributing income.

I haven't talked to her much in the last few months, but the house posting caught me eye today.  I seriously don't get it.

Quoting this to give an update.  They ended up closing on the home earlier this year.  I got a call from her yesterday (we haven't spoken in months) because she wanted to "catch-up."  About 5 minutes into the conversation she mentioned that her husband lost his job and they weren't sure what they are going to do.  I said I was sorry and quickly got off the phone.   I do feel bad for him because they are going to be in a world of hurt if he doesn't find a job quickly, but I just can't deal with the drama because most of it stems from their own choices.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3511 on: December 08, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »

What would you all do?

I think you've just won the thread. Wow.

aaaaand I was just showing this to my husband to show him he was right that we shouldn't have helped her in the beginning and noticed she added an 8th page...full of toys...for her cats...I shit you not.  How the FUCK do people like this exist?

Seriously.  What.  The.  F**k?!?!?!?!?!  MishMash, you should send us the gofundme site so that we can share our thoughts with her directly ;-)

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3512 on: December 09, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
Oh trust me I would like too...she would totally know it's me though since I"m the only one on her friends list that is financially secure and has said stuff to her about not buying shit in the past.   She's also suffering from depression so that may send her over the edge and I don't want that on me.  On the plus side, it looks like someone else must have said something to her about the amazon wish list.   It's gone as of this morning.  GoFund me is still up but the 4k shit list is no longer linked.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3513 on: December 09, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »
Holy fucking shit guys. These people reproduce AND vote! :(

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3514 on: December 09, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »
Oh trust me I would like too...she would totally know it's me though since I"m the only one on her friends list that is financially secure and has said stuff to her about not buying shit in the past.   She's also suffering from depression so that may send her over the edge and I don't want that on me.  On the plus side, it looks like someone else must have said something to her about the amazon wish list.   It's gone as of this morning.  GoFund me is still up but the 4k shit list is no longer linked.

That's fucking crazy.

Let us know how much she ends up getting in the end, please.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3515 on: December 09, 2015, 11:21:29 AM »

That means mustachians should have more kids so that mustachianism wins the race for survival.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3516 on: December 09, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
  Once he did and the attendant cursed him out in Pakistani.

Oh really?

I'm trying to picture this.

A white American couple pulls up to the gas pump.

Your husband gets out of the car and then some gas station attendant runs over and yells at him "PAKISTANI!" 

That is so weird.

I believe she meant that the attendant was cursing at her husband in an unspecified language spoken by Pakistani people.  But that's just a wild guess.

Doesn't matter, I still laughed.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3517 on: December 09, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »

That means mustachians should have more kids so that mustachianism wins the race for survival.

But then the marginal cost of raising more kids would send retirement and comfortable living years in the future.  How about we just put everyone on birth control for no money down now.  Make it part of the high school vaccination checklist.  Charge the installation fee during removal years later when everyone who has retired can afford to be a stay at home parent.  Gosh darn if I was a billionaire I would make it part of my presidential campaign.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3518 on: December 09, 2015, 11:36:33 AM »
word

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3519 on: December 09, 2015, 11:52:22 AM »
But then the marginal cost of raising more kids would send retirement and comfortable living years in the future.  How about we just put everyone on birth control for no money down now.  Make it part of the high school vaccination checklist.  Charge the installation fee during removal years later when everyone who has retired can afford to be a stay at home parent.  Gosh darn if I was a billionaire I would make it part of my presidential campaign.
Nah, because Mustachians are like gay people. They can be born to anti-Mustachians. I've been saying for years that I prefer to reproduce memetically, that is, to live on through my ideas. Then this became one of the ones that mattered most. So I'll see about sharing it with other people's kids as they grow into young adults, infecting them with the MMM hivemind ;) :D

hypocrispy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3520 on: December 09, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »

I would vote for you.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3521 on: December 09, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »
Nah, because Mustachians are like gay people. They can be born to anti-Mustachians. I've been saying for years that I prefer to reproduce memetically, that is, to live on through my ideas. Then this became one of the ones that mattered most. So I'll see about sharing it with other people's kids as they grow into young adults, infecting them with the MMM hivemind ;) :D
But unlike homosexuality, mustachianism is a choice.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3522 on: December 09, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
I feel like this thread is about to go off on an ugly tangent ...

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3523 on: December 09, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »

Or, we could bring it back around on topic. Perhaps with something like this that just appeared on my Facebook feed somehow:

http://www.brit.co/angela-yeung-wedding/

I get that they wanted to make their special day one to remember, but jeez...Everyone on this forum would probably retire on that sum of cash instead!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3524 on: December 09, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
I knew somebody would manage to drag nature-vs-nurture into it, all hopes notwithstanding. Point is, identical offspring are by no means a foregone conclusion.

Or, we could bring it back around on topic. Perhaps with something like this that just appeared on my Facebook feed somehow:

I get that they wanted to make their special day one to remember, but jeez...Everyone on this forum would probably retire on that sum of cash instead!
Are you sure you're not Pooperman, cause you totally just dropped an upper-decker on my tangent party.

China really doesn't seem communist at all these days....

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3525 on: December 09, 2015, 01:37:42 PM »
I knew somebody would manage to drag nature-vs-nurture into it, all hopes notwithstanding. Point is, identical offspring are by no means a foregone conclusion.

Are you sure you're not Pooperman, cause you totally just dropped an upper-decker on my tangent party.

I knew what you meant when you said it, just not the best choice of wording given the reality of the subject. Either way, re-education camps are stupid, regardless of what the re-education is towards (straightness, consumerism, Catholicism... hey, no one ever expects the Spanish inquisition).

China's kindof an oligarchy.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #3526 on: December 09, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
A former student of mine recently made lifestyle changes, lost a ton of weight, and took up running. Good for her! Recently she posted status about raising money for a 5K, so I clicked thinking she was fundraising through running a 5K. Turns out she decided she wanted to run a 5K every month of 2016 and started a GoFund Me campaign for people to cover her entry fees. Really? I'm a runner myself and I have budget for the occasional donation to a good cause. But not just to fund some's hobby. Especially since in our area you could run an organized FREE 5K every week with timing and after run snacks sponsored by the local running club.

I don't know that this is anti-mustachian, but I'm still a little surprised that someone would ask other people to pay for things like that.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3527 on: December 09, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »

Definitely the first time I've ever been accused of that, an upper-decker!

I was kinda worried about what direction that tangent might go, given the context in which it started. But then I realized that this is the MMM forum and people are usually pretty civil around here. It seems my concern was unfounded. Carry on :-)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3528 on: December 09, 2015, 02:43:55 PM »
A former student of mine recently made lifestyle changes, lost a ton of weight, and took up running. Good for her! Recently she posted status about raising money for a 5K, so I clicked thinking she was fundraising through running a 5K. Turns out she decided she wanted to run a 5K every month of 2016 and started a GoFund Me campaign for people to cover her entry fees. Really? I'm a runner myself and I have budget for the occasional donation to a good cause. But not just to fund some's hobby. Especially since in our area you could run an organized FREE 5K every week with timing and after run snacks sponsored by the local running club.

I don't know that this is anti-mustachian, but I'm still a little surprised that someone would ask other people to pay for things like that.

A high school friend of mine decided he wanted to lose lots of weight, now says he might start a GoFundme campaign to have plastic surgery to reduce excess skin.  Um, think I'll click ignore.  He's also constantly putting stuff out on Facebook to ask for money and favors when cash gets tight each month.

I'm a runner too and would never think of asking money for entry fees, unless I were specifically part of a fundraising team for a distance race.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3529 on: December 09, 2015, 03:19:03 PM »
...snip...

It turns out that most of that event was sponsored.  Apparently the blessed couple wound up net positive on the wedding.  Very mustachian?

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3530 on: December 09, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »
...snip...

It turns out that most of that event was sponsored.  Apparently the blessed couple wound up net positive on the wedding.  Very mustachian?

I suppose one could make that argument. Still, $31MM on a wedding?! Seems like overkill. All the better that they didn't pay the actual sticker price, but I'm not sure I'd want my wedding sponsored by someone else as a matter of principle, and possibly privacy. All the more so if the arrangement came with any strings attached.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3531 on: December 09, 2015, 04:09:45 PM »
...snip...

I suppose one could make that argument. Still, $31MM on a wedding?! Seems like overkill. All the better that they didn't pay the actual sticker price, but I'm not sure I'd want my wedding sponsored by someone else as a matter of principle, and possibly privacy. All the more so if the arrangement came with any strings attached.
They're celebrities.  Probably have a different view on privacy (and principle) than most.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3532 on: December 10, 2015, 06:05:44 AM »

A high school friend of mine decided he wanted to lose lots of weight, now says he might start a GoFundme campaign to have plastic surgery to reduce excess skin.  Um, think I'll click ignore.  He's also constantly putting stuff out on Facebook to ask for money and favors when cash gets tight each month.

I'm a runner too and would never think of asking money for entry fees, unless I were specifically part of a fundraising team for a distance race.
Pre-mustachian me would understand starting a gofundme for maybe, say, one marathon a year since it is a substantial goal and entry fees are huge (and I would probably give money to see somebody in that situation push themselves so hard as to be able to run a full marathon), but a 5k? That's only a little over two miles. A month of training and damn near anybody can run for two miles .... Why would anybody give money to see somebody run a 5k?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3533 on: December 10, 2015, 06:34:09 AM »
Race entry fees are too high, especially the popular ones, sure, but raising money to enter a race, WTF.

Anyone can go to the local track, run 12 and a half laps for 25-30 minutes, and voila, you're a 5K runner. I am all for bringing more people to active living, but seriously. Raise the bar a little before asking for money.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #3534 on: December 10, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »

Sure, but that's irrelevant to our analysis since none of us personally control NJ state law

Other posters had commented that they like the laws banning Self Serve in NJ. My post was to show why I dislike those laws. Of course I have no power to actually change them.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3535 on: December 10, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »

Pre-mustachian me would understand starting a gofundme for maybe, say, one marathon a year since it is a substantial goal and entry fees are huge (and I would probably give money to see somebody in that situation push themselves so hard as to be able to run a full marathon), but a 5k? That's only a little over two miles. A month of training and damn near anybody can run for two miles .... Why would anybody give money to see somebody run a 5k?

I agree, and this changes nothing, but a 5K is a little over 3 miles.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3536 on: December 10, 2015, 09:05:19 AM »

I agree, and this changes nothing, but a 5K is a little over 3 miles.
That's still not much more than a brisk morning jog for a lot of people that are into fitness. 30-45 minutes tops unless you're walking it (plus time to shower and change after)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #3537 on: December 10, 2015, 03:06:29 PM »

Just an update, I happened to see this woman (I work at a community college, this isn't a recent HS grad) at the grocery store last night and she asked about the race I had run last weekend (and posted on Facebook about) so I casually invited her to join me one evening at the free 5K sponsored by the running club thinking that maybe she just wasn't aware of it.

Nope. She knew. But since it didn't include a medal or a t-shirt, it "wasn't a real 5K" Sigh. I admit it doesn't have the same start line excitement I feel when at a bigger race, but if my goal was just to run a 5K with with other people for fun (Her stated goal), the free run is great for that. Great atmosphere, great people, and free snacks. And did I mention, FREE? (even for non-members)

Oh well, at least it isn't as self-destructive or ridiculous as some of the other things posted on this thread!

Edited to Add: I guess that also means the 5K she asked about that I ran last weekend wasn't real. Because I didn't get a t-shirt or a medal. But I did get a shiny new PB!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:09:46 PM by hudsoncat »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3538 on: December 10, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »

Just an update, I happened to see this woman (I work at a community college, this isn't a recent HS grad) at the grocery store last night and she asked about the race I had run last weekend (and posted on Facebook about) so I casually invited her to join me one evening at the free 5K sponsored by the running club thinking that maybe she just wasn't aware of it.

Nope. She knew. But since it didn't include a medal or a t-shirt, it "wasn't a real 5K" Sigh. I admit it doesn't have the same start line excitement I feel when at a bigger race, but if my goal was just to run a 5K with with other people for fun (Her stated goal), the free run is great for that. Great atmosphere, great people, and free snacks. And did I mention, FREE? (even for non-members)

Oh well, at least it isn't as self-destructive or ridiculous as some of the other things posted on this thread!

Edited to Add: I guess that also means the 5K she asked about that I ran last weekend wasn't real. Because I didn't get a t-shirt or a medal. But I did get a shiny new PB!
'

Good for you. Yeah I used to be a runner, but hated paying for any distances other than a half or full marathon. I haven't done any tris but would understand their high cost due to a logistical nightmare to run. I really do not understand someone wanting to do a 5k each month, much less asking for contributions for it. I mean, if you think about it, if you are a semi-serious runner, there's a good chance you are running a 5k each time you run.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3539 on: December 11, 2015, 07:40:55 AM »

'

Good for you. Yeah I used to be a runner, but hated paying for any distances other than a half or full marathon. I haven't done any tris but would understand their high cost due to a logistical nightmare to run. I really do not understand someone wanting to do a 5k each month, much less asking for contributions for it. I mean, if you think about it, if you are a semi-serious runner, there's a good chance you are running a 5k each time you run.

The only reason I can think of that one would do a 5k every month is to post a picture at the finish line to get FaceBook's fake internet points.  I could maybe see doing a half marathon monthly but then the logistics would become a pain (travel/hotels/etc) but for many runners the regular 'racing' would get in the way of actual training unless you did not really push it in the race but then what is the point of paying 50-100$ to enter a race?  So again it comes down to FB fake internet points.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3540 on: December 11, 2015, 07:53:14 AM »

'

The only reason I can think of that one would do a 5k every month is to post a picture at the finish line to get FaceBook's fake internet points.  I could maybe see doing a half marathon monthly but then the logistics would become a pain (travel/hotels/etc) but for many runners the regular 'racing' would get in the way of actual training unless you did not really push it in the race but then what is the point of paying 50-100$ to enter a race?  So again it comes down to FB fake internet points.

So you're saying it's only like $50/race? That's really not much. Like, it's well within my personal spending limit of $100/month. Even frugal mustachians can blow money on races like that a couple times a month, how can someone not be able to afford it?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3541 on: December 11, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »

So you're saying it's only like $50/race? That's really not much. Like, it's well within my personal spending limit of $100/month. Even frugal mustachians can blow money on races like that a couple times a month, how can someone not be able to afford it?

There are LOTS of people who live so close to the line (or below it...) that $50 a month is a lot.  These are people who struggle to get food on the table. But if I were going to give someone in that situation money it would not be for a race with a "free" t-shirt. But for necessities.

My guess is this particular woman isn't in that situation at all though. It's not that she can't afford it, it's just that she thinks other people should pay because she's a special snowflake with #goals.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3542 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:29 AM »

There are LOTS of people who live so close to the line (or below it...) that $50 a month is a lot.  These are people who struggle to get food on the table. But if I were going to give someone in that situation money it would not be for a race with a "free" t-shirt. But for necessities.

My guess is this particular woman isn't in that situation at all though. It's not that she can't afford it, it's just that she thinks other people should pay because she's a special snowflake with #goals.

The people who live in poverty are generally not the ones running 5ks. They are instead trying to hustle more to get ahead. The people who run 5ks can definitely afford the entry fees ;).

She's either entitled liek you said, or she just spends so much money on other crap... or both. I'm liking the third option here.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3543 on: December 11, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »

Or that the special attention by posting and organized races is what keeps her motivated. This could be less about money than about getting a team of supporters or commitments around her. Can't stop if your friend gave you the money, etc.

Tastefully done the post would say that and the indicate a 2 for 1 donation somewhere else from her pocket. But we have motivations that we don't realize
, often.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3544 on: December 11, 2015, 09:54:36 AM »
Or that the special attention by posting and organized races is what keeps her motivated. This could be less about money than about getting a team of supporters or commitments around her. Can't stop if your friend gave you the money, etc.

Tastefully done the post would say that and the indicate a 2 for 1 donation somewhere else from her pocket. But we have motivations that we don't realize
, often.

Which is why a lot of people run for charity.
It keeps them motivated to do it, and does a good thing.  Just using your friends money to run a race for the heck of it is just weird, IMO.

We had a friend from the gym run 52 marathons last year. We gave him money; but it wasn't for the entry fees specifically. I don't know if he paid them out of what was raised, or if all the money raised went to his cause.  If he was doing a 5k a month for the same cause, we still would have given him money; though obviously the marathon thing made it even more insane. IIRC, he did one in each state as part of the challenge aspect.  He had one week where he ran 3 marathons. The guy was crazy.

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #3545 on: December 11, 2015, 10:31:38 AM »
I've lost 50 pounds through a weight loss clinic.  My cousin (who sells products for a company I won't even mention because I tried them and they are crap) sent me a message on FB and asked what I did to lose the weight.  I told her and she responded "Well, in case you still have a need for healthy protein shakes yada yada yada you still have an account with [her company]."

No. thanks.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3546 on: December 11, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
$50 for a 5K is nuts.  When I was running organized races fairly regularly, I joined the local running club (for $25) and the races were always around $20-25.  The most expensive one was $30, and that was a 5 mile race that included having police stop traffic for the runners, three water stops, chip timers, mile markers, snacks, and a T-shirt (made of the nice thermal material, too).  The only strictly running race I've seen that wasn't a charity run of some kind and cost over $50 was a full or half marathon.

Travel/hotel/food costs for out of town races always cost me more than the race itself.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #3547 on: December 11, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
Depends on where it is.  I do the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago which I paid 40$ for as an early sign up promotion.  Looks like the sign up fee is 50$ normally.  Not defending it or calling it mustachian, but they do shut down some normally busy streets in down town Chicago.  You also get a "free" runner's shirt, tons of coupons (bleh), good race organization, stuff protection, water distribution, and bananas after the race.  I always feel a little stupid for paying 40$ so I can be bombarded with advertisements, get a running shirt I don't need, and run a distance I could run on my own for free.  The good thing is that it motivates me to exercise and gives my SO and I some free activities to do together (the training).

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3548 on: December 12, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »
There's a mountain bike racing series on the trails at a local park; the races are once a week in the summertime, but they leave the course signage up for the full ten weeks. This year, I went on non-race days a few times and rode the course, but I think I'll sign up for the actual series in 2016. It's a good motivator to do it every week, and besides, I don't mind giving a few dollars to the bike shop that organizes the event. They're excellent advocates for all kinds of cycling in the area.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3549 on: December 13, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »
A friend started a new job and her commute is now the ninth circle of hell.

Two trains, and two hours door to door.