Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081965 times)

vivophoenix

• Bristles
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1600 on: February 13, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
An ex-coworker of mine just posted a GoFundMe for... wait for it... $1,000 worth of All-Clad cookware.

"My beautiful stove needs companions that are fitting for it, so I need a little help to make this love story happen."

She makes over $100k/year. Single, no kids, had a full-ride scholarship AFAIK.

5 previous FB posts: picture of expensive food in a city 3,000 mi away (x3), picture of city's skyline, picture of a new condo in a high-rise in a major metropolitan area.

More than likely she is like many (but by no means all or even the majority) women who learn, through conditioning from the dating world, that if you ask people of things they will buy them for you.

you're reaching.

dating teaches  you that you don't get something,  for nothing. ( no man gives you things for free)

why do these threads always go sexist,  when discussing how women spend money?

people can be terrible and greedy universally, dating didn't teach her that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:02:38 PM by vivophoenix »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1601 on: February 13, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »
CW: "I got side job. It's 10 hours a week, and pays [roughly 2/3 current pay]"

me: "Why not take 10 hours of overtime here a week and get paid time and a half of your current rate?"

CW: "Because then the government would get all the extra in taxes."

That one got a BIG LAUGH out of me!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1602 on: February 13, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »

me: "Why not take 10 hours of overtime here a week and get paid time and a half of your current rate?"

That one got a BIG LAUGH out of me!
The stupidity in this one drives me nuts.
If overtime pay truly was taxes at a rate higher than the standard rate, then there would have to be a special box on your W2. Is there such a box? No there is not!

zoltani

« Reply #1603 on: February 13, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
An ex-coworker of mine just posted a GoFundMe for... wait for it... $1,000 worth of All-Clad cookware.

"My beautiful stove needs companions that are fitting for it, so I need a little help to make this love story happen."

5 previous FB posts: picture of expensive food in a city 3,000 mi away (x3), picture of city's skyline, picture of a new condo in a high-rise in a major metropolitan area.

More than likely she is like many (but by no means all or even the majority) women who learn, through conditioning from the dating world, that if you ask people of things they will buy them for you.

Someone sounds jaded...

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1604 on: February 14, 2015, 05:07:19 AM »

When I was just starting out in the working world, the place I worked had lots of overtime available. I dove in with both feet - 10 hour days plus 8 on Saturday. After a couple weeks, one of the old-timers called me aside and said I should rethink whether I should be working all those hours. He explained that the taxes go up and up and you get to the point where you're actually losing money with every extra hour.  He actually said "losing money."

This seemed ludicrous on the surface but I didn't know very much about taxes. A little research at the library (no internet in those days) showed me that the most I could possibly be paying was about 30-odd percent. Hmmm.  Being a polite lad, I didn't confront the old-timer and continued to work all the hours I could get, but I still wondered why he thought taxes could exceed 100%.

After a while I figured it out. He discouraged the new people from working all that overtime so the work backlog would stay high, and the old-timers could work the overtime longer.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #1605 on: February 14, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »
i'm sure it had more to do with being pushed into the next tax bracket. if you work enough OT to do that, you can actually lose money by going over.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1606 on: February 14, 2015, 07:54:27 AM »
i'm sure it had more to do with being pushed into the next tax bracket. if you work enough OT to do that, you can actually lose money by going over.

Being pushed into 'the next tax bracket' only affects the dollars you earn in that bracket.  It doesn't mean your entire income is now taxed at the new marginal rate. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1607 on: February 14, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »

Being pushed into 'the next tax bracket' only affects the dollars you earn in that bracket.  It doesn't mean your entire income is now taxed at the new marginal rate.
+1

This misconception drives me crazy.

When I was just starting out in the working world, the place I worked had lots of overtime available. I dove in with both feet - 10 hour days plus 8 on Saturday. After a couple weeks, one of the old-timers called me aside and said I should rethink whether I should be working all those hours. He explained that the taxes go up and up and you get to the point where you're actually losing money with every extra hour.  He actually said "losing money."

This seemed ludicrous on the surface but I didn't know very much about taxes. A little research at the library (no internet in those days) showed me that the most I could possibly be paying was about 30-odd percent. Hmmm.  Being a polite lad, I didn't confront the old-timer and continued to work all the hours I could get, but I still wondered why he thought taxes could exceed 100%.

After a while I figured it out. He discouraged the new people from working all that overtime so the work backlog would stay high, and the old-timers could work the overtime longer.
You mean marginal tax rate. If he meant overall tax rate could exceed 100%, then you would literally have a negative incentive to work at all, and you should stop working immediately.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1608 on: February 14, 2015, 08:25:10 AM »

Your earnings will get withheld at a higher rate (as if you earned like that the whole year). This can appear as if you're getting taxed more, thus the confusion!

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1609 on: February 14, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »

Your earnings will get withheld at a higher rate (as if you earned like that the whole year). This can appear as if you're getting taxed more, thus the confusion!
Yep.  Had this happen to me once years ago when I was a teen.  I took a short extra shift, which pushed my withholding just into the next tier.  My check was actually smaller than normal - aargh! - why did I blow my Saturday for that?  Of course it evened out at filing time.
I am grateful to the office manager who took time to explain it to me and even gave me a copy of the IRS table.
Had she not helped me understand I would have believed that working overtime resulted in a permanent loss of time and money.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1610 on: February 14, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »

Yep.  Had this happen to me once years ago when I was a teen.  I took a short extra shift, which pushed my withholding just into the next tier.  My check was actually smaller than normal - aargh! - why did I blow my Saturday for that?  Of course it evened out at filing time.
I am grateful to the office manager who took time to explain it to me and even gave me a copy of the IRS table.
Had she not helped me understand I would have believed that working overtime resulted in a permanent loss of time and money.
That's a nice manager! And I'm actually a tad surprised your manager actually understood how withholding worked too!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1611 on: February 14, 2015, 11:19:57 PM »

Let me guess- you have never done your own tax return, have you.....

My ( unasked for) advice...

"Proceed to the nearest tax calculator, and input your annual base salary, repeat with the largest overtime salary included.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200"

Here, let me help, this is the very first link I could find...
http://www.irscalculators.com/tax-brackets-calculator.php

This one has a neat slider

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/tax-planning/quick-tax-rate-calculator.aspx

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1612 on: February 15, 2015, 12:01:59 AM »
I got a pay rise last year that resulted in my take-home pay reducing. It wasn't to do with taxes so much as with the way student loans to the government are payed back in Australia.

Before the pay increase I was below the threshold for making payments (just). After the pay rise I had an extra 4% of my income taken out with my tax.

Sure I'm reducing my student debt but with the way our student loans are set up, I'd rather the extra money now.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1613 on: February 15, 2015, 04:20:52 AM »

Let me guess- you have never done your own tax return, have you.....

My ( unasked for) advice...

"Proceed to the nearest tax calculator, and input your annual base salary, repeat with the largest overtime salary included.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200"

Here, let me help, this is the very first link I could find...

Nice calculators! Thanks for sharing.
http://www.irscalculators.com/tax-brackets-calculator.php

This one has a neat slider

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/tax-planning/quick-tax-rate-calculator.aspx

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1614 on: February 15, 2015, 05:41:45 AM »
I got a pay rise last year that resulted in my take-home pay reducing. It wasn't to do with taxes so much as with the way student loans to the government are payed back in Australia.

Before the pay increase I was below the threshold for making payments (just). After the pay rise I had an extra 4% of my income taken out with my tax.

Sure I'm reducing my student debt but with the way our student loans are set up, I'd rather the extra money now.

Me too. Small pay rise into the next higher marginal tax range and the next highest HECS payment threshold = ever so slightly lower take home pay. Like you said, my debt is getting paid off quicker, but it still resulted in less money being paid into my bank account each fortnight.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1615 on: February 15, 2015, 06:46:58 AM »

A lot of people believe that paycheck withholding is what your taxes are, and your tax refund is some magical gift of money where the amount is determined by what tax prep service you use.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:53:25 PM by merula »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1616 on: February 15, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »
......  I make a habit of changing the genders on the stories I tell, in the hopes that on the off chance the subject ever reads it, they don't recognize themselves. So, ummm, way to go with your assumptions...

Balance of probability...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1617 on: February 16, 2015, 07:19:57 AM »

Most appropriate comment: Go Fund Yourself!

(credit where due: is title of recent South Park episode, not my creation)

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1618 on: February 16, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »

A lot of people believe that paycheck withholding is what your taxes are, and your tax refund is some magical gift of money where the amount is determined by what tax prep service you use.

hahahaha... hilarious but sadly true.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1619 on: February 17, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »
This wasn't on facebook, but it goes with the current "taxed more, it isn't even worth it" conversation.

My husband received a $100 bonus from his company.  But he never got it.

Turns out, they put it in a separate $100 paycheck instead of adding it to an existing paycheck.

Due to some tax issues in past years (edit to clarify: we don't owe back taxes, merely we both take on weird freelance assignments/change jobs with frequency that we've had trouble figuring out how to get our taxes to 0 with standard withholdings, so he just calculated what to have withheld numerically), he has an extra $150 withheld from each of his paychecks.  So his entire bonus was withheld, since it was treated as a  very small paycheck.

Of course, we know that he'll either get it back at tax time, or it will just go to the tax liability we already have- but it's pretty darn funny that his entire paycheck was taken up by taxes. 

Stupid bonus- just caused us to pay more.... ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:24:32 AM by iowajes »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1620 on: February 17, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »
This wasn't on facebook, but it goes with the current "taxed more, it isn't even worth it" conversation.

My husband received a $100 bonus from his company.  But he never got it.

Turns out, they put it in a separate $100 paycheck instead of adding it to an existing paycheck.

Due to some tax issues in past years, he has an extra $150 withheld from each of his paychecks.  So his entire bonus was withheld, since it was treated as a  very small paycheck.

Of course, we know that he'll either get it back at tax time, or it will just go to the tax liability we already have- but it's pretty darn funny that his entire paycheck was taken up by taxes. 

Stupid bonus- just caused us to pay more.... ;)

Ha,  I heard the same.   Here, some parents were complaining that they were not going to get their goverment "teacher strike" cheques (per diem money to parents for evey day that the teachers were locked out by the government, for kids under 13).

Why?  Because the government was going to claw back 100% if they owed past taxes -- So they weren't going to even apply! Protest! 
Huh -- not much of a protest, and they missed on the tax liability reduction, too.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1621 on: February 18, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
I have a Facebook friend who has two kids, is in school, divorced, and has very little money living off student loans. She is regularly doing things like dyeing her hair and getting new shoes, but I give her the benefit of doubt and assume it's all from thrift stores, etc.

Today she posted "burning man tickets go on sale today! Should I buy one even though I don't know how I'd get there and who would watch the kids for a month?"

I tried to restrain myself but ended up responding "I wouldn't. Getting out there and all the gear will be expensive, and you know me, I'm boring, I'd make sure I had retirement and emergency savings before I spent money on a trip".

No response yet.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #1622 on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »

Most appropriate comment: Go Fund Yourself!

(credit where due: is title of recent South Park episode, not my creation)

I went thru the process just for fun.
gofundme.com/mp0wd0

It's strange how they don't ask you why you can't do it yourself...

jennifers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1623 on: February 18, 2015, 12:07:12 PM »
Response to someone asking if they should buy a new car even though their current car works fine:

"Money comes and money goes ... The memories and feelings of your in new car will stay forever."

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1624 on: February 18, 2015, 01:04:03 PM »
Response to someone asking if they should buy a new car even though their current car works fine:

"Money comes and money goes ... The memories and feelings of your in new car will stay forever."
Technically that is correct as long as one does not develop Alzheimer's.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1625 on: February 18, 2015, 02:08:35 PM »

Technically that is correct as long as one does not develop Alzheimer's.
LOL!  Of course, the statement sets up a false dichotomy by implying that if you don't spend it on the car, you'll spend it on something else of equal or lesser value at the same time.  I mean, who in their right mind keeps the old car and invests their money for retirement, right?

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #1626 on: February 18, 2015, 04:56:29 PM »

+1

It can also trigger other obligations, such as higher repayment rates on government loans (such as higher education loans in Australia). A few people I know got into difficulties when they got a raise, which pushed them into a higher tax bracket, which increased the percentage repayments their employer had to make on their behalf. This did mean their overall takehome pay was reduced. But then, so was their debt.

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #1627 on: February 18, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »
My wife had a cooking class recently with a group of women.  When they were done, one lady was "helping" clean up and threw the leftover food away - in the trash!  She wrapped it up in napkins and tossed it.  My wife dug it out when they left...  when I say leftovers, I dont mean what was on peoples plates - this was fresh stuff no one put on a plate yet.

Now to the FB part.  I thought maybe it was a fluke, but nope, this same person posted the following:

"Last night I made lasagna for dinner, but after assembling it all, I had some ingredients left over.  So, I decided to make lasagna rolls.  I had never made them before.  They turned out delicious and the kids LOVED them!  Plus, since I ended up using all of the extra ingredients, I ended up with enough leftovers for us to have another dinner this week since the hubby is out of town.  Success!  I am going to start using all of my extra ingredients from now on rather than tossing them out."

She normally throws away enough food for two more meals! ?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1628 on: February 18, 2015, 05:58:13 PM »

+1

It can also trigger other obligations, such as higher repayment rates on government loans (such as higher education loans in Australia). A few people I know got into difficulties when they got a raise, which pushed them into a higher tax bracket, which increased the percentage repayments their employer had to make on their behalf. This did mean their overall takehome pay was reduced. But then, so was their debt.
There are income based repayment plans here in the US as well, so that can certainly happen. Another example is financial aid for college tuition.
But strictly speaking, these are not taxes, and not the common misconception we were addressing

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1629 on: February 19, 2015, 07:38:52 AM »
My wife had a cooking class recently with a group of women.  When they were done, one lady was "helping" clean up and threw the leftover food away - in the trash!  She wrapped it up in napkins and tossed it.  My wife dug it out when they left...  when I say leftovers, I dont mean what was on peoples plates - this was fresh stuff no one put on a plate yet.

OMG this hurts my soul. I looooove good leftovers.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1630 on: February 19, 2015, 09:58:11 AM »

Now to the FB part.  I thought maybe it was a fluke, but nope, this same person posted the following:

"Last night I made lasagna for dinner, but after assembling it all, I had some ingredients left over.  So, I decided to make lasagna rolls.  I had never made them before.  They turned out delicious and the kids LOVED them!  Plus, since I ended up using all of the extra ingredients, I ended up with enough leftovers for us to have another dinner this week since the hubby is out of town.  Success! I am going to start using all of my extra ingredients from now on rather than tossing them out."

WTF?!  Like, use half a block of cheese and half a pound of pasta and throw the rest away?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1631 on: February 19, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »

"Last night I made lasagna for dinner, but after assembling it all, I had some ingredients left over.  So, I decided to make lasagna rolls.  I had never made them before.  They turned out delicious and the kids LOVED them!  Plus, since I ended up using all of the extra ingredients, I ended up with enough leftovers for us to have another dinner this week since the hubby is out of town.  Success!  I am going to start using all of my extra ingredients from now on rather than tossing them out."

At least she's learning.

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1632 on: February 19, 2015, 10:28:58 AM »
Collected from a number of posts on a group I'm part of:

She's recently divorced and their "sweat equity" house was foreclosed on (how do you lose a house that was almost given to you?)
Just had a baby with her new boyfriend, bringing the total to six.
Boyfriend makes minimum wage.  Ex-husband makes a bit more than minimum.
She, boyfriend, ex and four of the kids are living in a one-bedroom house.  Two of the kids are living with friends.

With three adults in the house, I asked why she couldn't get a job while the men were at home to take care of the kids.  Her answer - "Because my kids need a mom!!!".

So three adults, two adult children and only two jobs among all of them.   

Personally I'd rather dig ditches with the baby strapped to my back to avoid living in that situation.

Her latest post:
Can't wait to go to ****  with my sweetheart, stay in nice hotels and surprise him with all the amazing things I have planned!  Leaving just after my iPhone arrives in the post!

marketnonsenses

« Reply #1633 on: February 19, 2015, 10:45:01 AM »

I know someone who has access to unlimited overtime at a pretty good rate. His wife works 1.5 hours away for 4 hours a day at min wage. I ask him why doesnt he just work a few hours overtime and she can stay home and take care of the kid, cook, and stuff. He works zero overtime

The reasons 1. They need the money (broke me on that one) 2. Taxes will be too much and he wont see any overtime 3. Why should she get to stay home all day and him do all the work.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1634 on: February 19, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »

I know someone who has access to unlimited overtime at a pretty good rate. His wife works 1.5 hours away for 4 hours a day at min wage. I ask him why doesnt he just work a few hours overtime and she can stay home and take care of the kid, cook, and stuff. He works zero overtime

The reasons 1. They need the money (broke me on that one) 2. Taxes will be too much and he wont see any overtime 3. Why should she get to stay home all day and him do all the work.

Ive started asking my wife why she doesn't work some overtime so I can stay home all day.  She's not amused.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1635 on: February 19, 2015, 12:18:42 PM »

So much wrong with this! I wish I could sit that guy down and explain some things to him!

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #1636 on: February 19, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »
While I generally try not to take notice of other people's sad FB posts, this one struck me so significantly, I couldn't turn away and had to share:

Acquaintance on FB is unemployed but receives some governmental assistance for a mental health disability (no problem there).  She - I'll call her "Sally" - is married and has two children.  For the last 12 months, Sally and partner have claimed to be "getting serious" about Dave Ramsey's plan - interspersed with impulsive posts about going out to eat/ vacations/ etc. (Fine, no problem, ignore/hide Sally's posts from my feed to avoid becoming a financial voyeur). 

Then, a mutual friend 'liked' Sally's recent posts, which led me to re-look at her page where she:
~ is excited to receive their impending tax return so they can finally be at Dave Ramsey Step 1 (save $1000).... after what I assume has been 12 months of trying to save $1000
~ has just purchased a 47" flat screen TV from Amazon with multiple year warranty (the cliches run deep)
~ is excited to receive impending tax return so they can get caught up on backdated $1200 bill they owe the electric company
~ posts updates about her extensive tattoo artwork being done (for I assume, hundreds of dollars)
~ would like to grow their family by another child asap, but implies this will require financial and reproductive assistance.  I get the sense this post was directed at an in-law.

and finally, the icing on the cake:
~ Sally and her partner have posted a link to a crowdfunding site (IE, indiegogo, gofundme) where they have asked others to contribute to a ~$15,000 goal for a down payment on a home

Via her link on FB, Sally claims people should contribute to their down payment (of $0) because of their recent financial turn around (?) and because they are a 1 income family trying to make ends meet.

I feel sad looking in on her life, but also astonished that she (and her partner) share these bits and pieces so publicly.  Amount raised so far from family/friends: $0 

Edited to clarify Sally created her own crowdfunding page
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:16:13 PM by NonprofitER »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1637 on: February 19, 2015, 01:48:10 PM »

I feel sad looking in on her life, but also astonished that she (and her partner) share these bits and pieces so publicly.  Amount raised so far from family/friends: $0

I hope that is stays that way, especially as this appears to be enabling her. Also, if her family sets up a page, why wouldn't they put some money themselves?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1638 on: February 19, 2015, 02:12:16 PM »
Collected from a number of posts on a group I'm part of:

She's recently divorced and their "sweat equity" house was foreclosed on (how do you lose a house that was almost given to you?)
Just had a baby with her new boyfriend, bringing the total to six.
Boyfriend makes minimum wage.  Ex-husband makes a bit more than minimum.
She, boyfriend, ex and four of the kids are living in a one-bedroom house.  Two of the kids are living with friends.

With three adults in the house, I asked why she couldn't get a job while the men were at home to take care of the kids.  Her answer - "Because my kids need a mom!!!".

So three adults, two adult children and only two jobs among all of them.   

Personally I'd rather dig ditches with the baby strapped to my back to avoid living in that situation.

Her latest post:
Can't wait to go to ****  with my sweetheart, stay in nice hotels and surprise him with all the amazing things I have planned!  Leaving just after my iPhone arrives in the post!

Shoot me now, the world is doomed. The ferals are outbreeding us LOL

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #1639 on: February 19, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »

I hope that is stays that way, especially as this appears to be enabling her. Also, if her family sets up a page, why wouldn't they put some money themselves?

Well, by family I mean Sally and her partner created the page themselves... to raise money for themselves... #awkward

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1640 on: February 19, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »

Well, by family I mean Sally and her partner created the page themselves... to raise money for themselves... #awkward

I hate it when I see someone I know having a gofundme for themselves.  Especially when its for like tires for their car or something along those lines...

marketnonsenses

« Reply #1641 on: February 20, 2015, 05:58:07 AM »

I hate it when I see someone I know having a gofundme for themselves.  Especially when its for like tires for their car or something along those lines...

I saw on FB someone I knew had a gofundme for his family. The was wanted to go to beauty school. So she quit her job. Now they have a gofundme to pay some bills and for the school. she quit her job for a school she was not going to yet and couldnt afford. I unfriend them.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #1642 on: February 20, 2015, 07:31:26 AM »
A woman I know recently ranted on Facebook about how someone in Target swiped her Coach bag out of her cart. The bag had, among other things, $3,000 in cash. She has used her parents money to buy a smoothie franchise (since gone under) and a running store (hanging on to make it).

Her main gig? Financial planner.

straycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1643 on: February 20, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
I grew up with a family of four girls down the street and one was the same age as us so we were best friends. Her older sister was always super popular, had the neatest, newest stuff etc. Well now I see it with different eyes as an adult. She is married, has 2 kids and is apparently in debt she hides from her husband. She doesn't just buy name brands, she buys HIGH FASHION brands. Like "Coach and "Kate Spade" are for poor people, she thinks. She even started a blog about it at mydarlinglife.com if you want to yell at your screen. Her daughter got an iphone for her NINTH birthday. They go to Florida several times a year (we live in Ontario, Canada). She is grooming her kid to be like her, ordering her clothes from Nordstrom all the time. She posted a photo of the KID in Florida wearing her Ray Bans or something and the caption was "Every 9 year old girl needs her mirrored sunnies!". And I was like "NEEDS"??? hmm. Have had to hold myself back from commenting on SO many of her posts.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1644 on: February 20, 2015, 01:30:17 PM »
I grew up with a family of four girls down the street and one was the same age as us so we were best friends. Her older sister was always super popular, had the neatest, newest stuff etc. Well now I see it with different eyes as an adult. She is married, has 2 kids and is apparently in debt she hides from her husband. She doesn't just buy name brands, she buys HIGH FASHION brands. Like "Coach and "Kate Spade" are for poor people, she thinks. She even started a blog about it at mydarlinglife.com if you want to yell at your screen. Her daughter got an iphone for her NINTH birthday. They go to Florida several times a year (we live in Ontario, Canada). She is grooming her kid to be like her, ordering her clothes from Nordstrom all the time. She posted a photo of the KID in Florida wearing her Ray Bans or something and the caption was "Every 9 year old girl needs her mirrored sunnies!". And I was like "NEEDS"??? hmm. Have had to hold myself back from commenting on SO many of her posts.

it sucks that everyone knows she is hiding debt but her husband.

straycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1645 on: February 20, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »

I know - she mentioned it to my sister on a shopping trip. She crosses the border to the U.S. as often as once a week in summer to pick up packages she has shipped there (an hour drive from her home). SHE DOESN'T WORK. And she never declared anything, one day got searched and now she is 'red flagged' because they found all the stuff she was bringing back and never paying on it.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1646 on: February 20, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »

I know - she mentioned it to my sister on a shopping trip. She crosses the border to the U.S. as often as once a week in summer to pick up packages she has shipped there (an hour drive from her home). SHE DOESN'T WORK. And she never declared anything, one day got searched and now she is 'red flagged' because they found all the stuff she was bringing back and never paying on it.

i didnt know they were that serious about declaring, or did she have that much stuff one her?

i know the shopping malls in buffalo, ny  were built specifically for canadians

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1647 on: February 20, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »

i didnt know they were that serious about declaring, or did she have that much stuff one her?

We should start leaving comments on her blog about hiding her debt.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1648 on: February 20, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »

is it that hidden though, if she has a blog about fashion and shopping and no job, the husband must be burying his head in the sand, esp if she is picking up merchandise once a week.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1649 on: February 20, 2015, 01:58:10 PM »

is it that hidden though, if she has a blog about fashion and shopping and no job, the husband must be burying his head in the sand, esp if she is picking up merchandise once a week.

Depending on who pays the bills it is probably pretty easy to hide that kind of stuff.  If you're always the one checking the mail then it is easy to hide it.