Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1283603 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #6500 on: March 31, 2023, 12:25:11 PM »
Found some very worn but clean clothes in a bag. COuld not find any place that accepts 'clean rags' near me except for a big industrial place about 10 miles away. Too far. So I  put them some in my rag bag for future use, and one I am going to keep to wear as a work shirt.

Also found some good clean sweaters. One of them fit me, but I didn't like the look.  I know no one will buy them at my flea market, not even for $1, so I donated them to Goodwill.   

Looked inside a drawer and found clean dish towels! Took them out and put them in the kitchen. That made my girl friend happy.  Also found some stuff to recycle, in same drawer. Cleaned out the entire drawer, told girl friend  she could use it for her stuff.   

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6501 on: April 01, 2023, 06:53:50 AM »
- Moved some furniture around, which resulted in some changes in clothing storage. Found some additional pieces that were hidden/old and took a big bag of textile recycling to the bin.

- Took our "out of sight" box (specifically the books) to our youngest's daycare, as they requested book donations to refresh the libraries. Win/win!

- Bulk trash pickup is this month; we've already earmarked an old, broken chair and (if I can't give it away) a low-profile twin box spring that we no longer use since the kids are in bunk beds now.

- Eyeing the weather for a nice weekend day so we can start spring cleaning on the garage... hopefully this month!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6502 on: April 01, 2023, 02:13:15 PM »
We just finished a week at our house in NZ which resulted in a carport full of things that needed to be taken to the tip - nothing good! Just junk thrown behind the garage by the previous owners and all the shelves and rusty nails Ofpym pulled out of the garage walls. Found a guy who would take it to the tip for us and it was all cleared up before we left. Feels good not looking like a junkyard house.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #6503 on: April 01, 2023, 10:43:25 PM »
Gave away a shed!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6504 on: April 02, 2023, 03:21:46 AM »
DS is purging some clothes

washed a cover for a weighted blanket in anticipation of gifting it on BNG

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #6505 on: April 02, 2023, 03:38:15 AM »
They aren't out of the house but DH has sent three pairs of jeans to recycling. They were choking up a drawer so I'm very pleased.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #6506 on: April 02, 2023, 10:56:27 AM »
Listed 6 items on eBay friday night to keep my 3 month streak of using all free listings alive.

Sold a t-shirt and a set of basketball cards this morning.  ~$26 in my pocket after shipping/fees and 2 less items around the house.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6507 on: April 03, 2023, 04:20:15 PM »
Must have had 40 pounds of paper decluttering in the blue box this morning when the recycling truck came and took it away to its new purpose. 

It was full of old college papers, and 3 big manuals from w*rk days, plus some old unneeded financial reports. 

Also took some old w*rk documentation that I want to keep for practical reasons,  and put it all in a big bag and took it down to the basement.

I am moving a lot of stuff around my house lately, and most of it is ending up in the 'computer' room, so a lot of the stuff there that used to have sentimental value for me has less so, and out it goes ! Woohoo !   

I have discovered a new decluttering principle (at least for me, ha ha) which is  : The more cluttered a room is, the easier it is to find something you are happy to get rid of in it.     

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6508 on: April 04, 2023, 09:17:09 PM »
I'd accumulated two paper grocery-size bags full of bubble wrap and gave them away to someone in my Buy Nothing group who needed packing supplies.

And ha ha @slackmax for redacting "w*rk" like an expletive.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6509 on: April 08, 2023, 07:20:06 AM »
Did a 'rearrange / recycle' event on a lot of paper bills in the 'computer room'. While doing that, I unearthed some more old technical manuals (3 ring binders)  from w*rk days. I find I no longer have sentimental feelings for them, so I recycled the paper, and donated the binders.

Also found some more generally useful technical books that I plan on donating to the library.   

Not waiting for the curbside pickup. Will take the paper to recyc center today, for the satisfaction of 'getting it out of my house' which is big with me.

The computer room still looks like a disaster area, but I know it has x amount less clutter, lol.   

Slow and steady wins the race.

Oh, by the way, found a big glass bottle I was using for beer making in the basement, as I was working on my air handler. Recycled it.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6510 on: April 08, 2023, 08:23:00 AM »
We have curbside bulk trash pickup next week.  I've asked around for anyone who would like a double-size wooden bedframe but no takers as of yet.
Plan is to put it outside for pickup where I expect one of the scavengers will grab it before the City truck gets here.

UPDATE:  I posted the bed frame for free on our Neighborhood Nextdoor forum and I have someone scheduled to pick it up ...  Bed has been picked up.  I got a text later from the woman thanking me because her granddaughter had been sleeping on a mattress on the floor.  I was so glad to have someone get a free bed who really needed it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 07:16:39 AM by LaineyAZ »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6511 on: April 08, 2023, 04:32:32 PM »
Slackmax - for the old textiles, you can cut them up and use them for stuffing in pet beds. Or you can use them to help stuff draft stoppers for doors. Just in case you know anyone who sews and does stuff like that.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6512 on: April 09, 2023, 04:56:19 AM »
Did a 'rearrange / recycle' event on a lot of paper bills in the 'computer room'. While doing that, I unearthed some more old technical manuals (3 ring binders)  from w*rk days. I find I no longer have sentimental feelings for them, so I recycled the paper, and donated the binders.

Also found some more generally useful technical books that I plan on donating to the library.   

Not waiting for the curbside pickup. Will take the paper to recyc center today, for the satisfaction of 'getting it out of my house' which is big with me.

The computer room still looks like a disaster area, but I know it has x amount less clutter, lol.   

Oh, by the way, found a big glass bottle I was using for beer making in the basement, as I was working on my air handler. Recycled it.

Loved all of this but my favorite part is the part I bolded above.  Now THAT'S some real progress!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #6513 on: April 09, 2023, 10:44:32 AM »
Yeah Ladychips, I 100% agree!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6514 on: April 10, 2023, 05:00:01 PM »
As soon as I got home I put my threadbare jeans and socks in the get-outta-here bag. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6515 on: April 11, 2023, 07:11:28 AM »
Slackmax - for the old textiles, you can cut them up and use them for stuffing in pet beds. Or you can use them to help stuff draft stoppers for doors. Just in case you know anyone who sews and does stuff like that.

Thanks, Sibley. That reminds me, pet rescue centers around here accept certain cloth items for use as bedding for dogs and cats.   

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6516 on: April 11, 2023, 07:28:49 AM »

Loved all of this but my favorite part is the part I bolded above.  Now THAT'S some real progress!!

Thanks!  Yesterday I finally got around to at least 'looking at' all the former girl friend's clothes in the closet. I was ignoring them for a long time, thinking I have plenty of clutter that is in plain sight to get rid off before I do the closet.

But I just felt like getting rid of it. Can't get anything for it by selling it. So I packed up about 20 blouses and jackets into 2 big bags and will donate them today. 

Now have an additional 2 horizontal feet of closet rack space available.

Also have a million wearable but somewhat worn shirts of my own in the same closet. Ought to go through them too, and recycle or donate some. Probably never will wear half of them, lol.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6517 on: April 11, 2023, 05:11:04 PM »
@slackmax that's brilliant, mate. WRT your shirts - what if you tried the opposite approach? Set a limit, i.e 20-25, and then just keep your top favourites and donate the rest?

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6518 on: April 12, 2023, 04:58:18 AM »
@slackmax that's brilliant, mate. WRT your shirts - what if you tried the opposite approach? Set a limit, i.e 20-25, and then just keep your top favourites and donate the rest?

Brilliant idea!!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6519 on: April 12, 2023, 07:21:07 AM »

Good idea, mspym. I'll consider it. I'm still basking in the glow of getting rid of the two big bags of clothes, lol.   

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6520 on: April 12, 2023, 01:17:36 PM »
I used to work in a factory years ago and the machines were oily and needed wiping down daily. The company bought barrels of rags for that purpose. Not sure where they got them but maybe GoodWill? No idea. Maybe that could be an idea to make money on old clothes. Cut them up and sell them in bundles on Ebay, Craigslist or elsewhere as rags.

Some people even make braided rugs with strips of material taken from clothes. Youtube woud probably have video's on how to make them.

As a side note, one time in the rag barrel we found a pair of mens fruit of the loom underpants! That provided us a day of laughter!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6521 on: April 15, 2023, 12:25:07 PM »
I donated 3 grocery bags of clothes and pillowcases this morning. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6522 on: April 15, 2023, 07:54:49 PM »
Sold a mountain bike and a set of tires today, didn’t need either and glad to have two bulky items gone

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6523 on: April 15, 2023, 08:54:26 PM »
Yay for my Buy Nothing group - I listed a box of clothes, tea set, kids activity kit,  clock, and Christmas decoration and everything was claimed within hours! It's more work than just donating to Goodwill (which I do as well), but I feel better about it.

I also sold our extra blender, and listed another appliance for sale. I've been slacking on decluttering the last couple months, so I'm happy to be making some progress!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6524 on: April 16, 2023, 01:55:57 AM »
I turned my spare bedroom into a sewing room during the pandemic.  No-one has stayed in it since and there is another room with a sofa bed if anyone does want to stay (unlikely, my relatives all now live in the area and friends seem flush with money for AirBbB.  So the mattress has gone to a friend whose daughter needed a better one.  The (disassembled) frame is a good Victorian brass and wrought iron one so needs to go to auction but just having the mattress gone is a significant improvement. I've a few other things that can go to auction too, I've given myself the end of next month for it all to be gone.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6525 on: April 16, 2023, 10:09:02 AM »
Also gave away a spare microwave I had to someone who is going to donate it to some people whose home burned down

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6526 on: April 16, 2023, 10:56:54 AM »
As I pull out gardening supplies for this season, I am pitching all the broken stuff and any trays/pot/gear that I don't need this year or didn't use last year.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6527 on: April 16, 2023, 06:21:37 PM »

Thanks!  Yesterday I finally got around to at least 'looking at' all the former girl friend's clothes in the closet. I was ignoring them for a long time, thinking I have plenty of clutter that is in plain sight to get rid off before I do the closet.

But I just felt like getting rid of it. Can't get anything for it by selling it. So I packed up about 20 blouses and jackets into 2 big bags and will donate them today. 

Now have an additional 2 horizontal feet of closet rack space available.

Also have a million wearable but somewhat worn shirts of my own in the same closet. Ought to go through them too, and recycle or donate some. Probably never will wear half of them, lol.

An easy(ish) way of choosing amongst a lot of items is to pick two at a time and ask yourself "This one or this one?"  Going through all similar items one time will reduce the quantity by half.  Then go through the ones you were planning to keep another time before putting them back, and you've gotten rid of another half!  Choosing one item from two is much easier than choosing 20 from 100.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6528 on: April 22, 2023, 02:04:49 PM »
I used up an old bottle of witch hazel this morning in the shower when I used it in my hair washing regimen. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6529 on: April 23, 2023, 11:33:32 AM »
Got rid of the 5 metal folding chairs that have cluttered a corner of my downstairs foyer for a long time.  I probably didn't ask enough for them, but at least they are gone ! 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6530 on: April 23, 2023, 12:24:20 PM »
I took down my recycling to the building’s trash room  and a left knickknack on a community shelf that made me sad for another resident to take. 

keepingfocus

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #6531 on: April 23, 2023, 01:13:52 PM »
It’s been a decent week for decluttering.
-One bag of fabric scraps and an unwanted makeup storage box given away via the local freebies group
-Half a box of 20-year-old paperwork shredded (a hard-fought battle with Chief Clutterbug DH who insists on keeping things like instructions for a boiler we no longer have ‘so I can make a record of it’).
-An overheight double headboard scrapped (fabric salvaged for reuse elsewhere)
-Scrap wood from the shed repurposed into a cold frame and some shelving battens for the airing cupboard)
-Two soup mugs binned (casualties of clumsiness)
-A box of books and bag of clothes taken to the charity shop
-Old batteries recycled
-Broken piece of coving replaced (using up a spare bit stored in the garage)
-Old corroded radiator put out for scrap (and nicked from the driveway before I even had a chance to phone someone to take it away)
-Obsolete external wiring ripped out
-Digital decluttering of old work-related documents and emails
-More paint and wallpaper used up

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6532 on: April 23, 2023, 01:18:23 PM »
Got our donation box out of the house today, it was starting to overflow so we loaded up and took it to a drop point. Need to find a new box before we start getting ready to move, I'm sure we'll be finding all sorts of stuff as we pack.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6533 on: May 03, 2023, 03:42:01 PM »
I got into a groove while digging through a huge cardboard box full of stuff, in the computer room. Four feet by 3 feet by 3 feet tall.

The same stuff has been in it for years. Moved one third of it into the closet, which now has space since I donated acres of clothes that were there a few days ago.

Got about 50  books out, and assorted sundries, and donated them all today. Bags and bags-o-stuff gone.

Now have a nice clean empty box. Might use it to store stuff, might recycle it. Good, either way !     

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6534 on: May 03, 2023, 04:07:47 PM »
Progress:
- we put a couple of boxes of random things out on the curb for a few days and then anything that wasn't taken either got taken to recycling or thrown out
- Took the broken tv, non-working electronics, misc cords/cables, and the gas heater we haven't used in 6 years to the recycling station this weekend.
- Eight more books out of the house
- I've been collecting a bag for donation and will probably drop that off later today.

@slackmax recycle that box! you can do it!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #6535 on: May 03, 2023, 05:44:57 PM »
@slackmax recycle the box and enjoy that extra 4*3 foot space on the floor!

This week I dropped off a bag of fabric recycling, have found someone who wants my old towels, threw out two bras and have four more ready to donate. I'm planning a wardrobe declutter soon so will have more fabric recycling (I usually wear things til they are dead) but the bin was full so I'll have to find another one. There's just so much waste. I've also made a meal plan that uses forgotten things in the freezer.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #6536 on: May 04, 2023, 01:59:00 AM »
Left 2 hardcovers in the "leave a book, take a book" bookshelf at the local train station. It's weirdly gratifying to see they've vanished the next day/week. Also coralled a big bag full of assorted broken/unused/ancient cables and electronics (including an iPad 2 that still charges) ready for recycling.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6537 on: May 04, 2023, 04:25:29 AM »
Things I've gotten rid of recently

Collapsable music stand I forgot about 2 collapsable music stands we had in a closet. I sold one already but I'm still waiting to get a nibble on the second one.

Portable air conditioner My parents bought it for us as a wedding gift since we were planning to rent a house that didn't have air conditioning. We used it for a month at the rental house and a couple of times in the house we bought when the central air conditioning was broken. It's been sitting in the basement untouched since at least 2015.

Work stuff Back in November of 2020, they had everyone clean out their desks since it looked like we would be working from home indefinitely. I filled up a box, took it home, put it in the closet for when we returned to the office (that never happened), and forgot about it. It was mostly junk like company branded trinkets and outdated training materials. I salvaged whatever paper I could to use as scratch paper and added any metal I could identify to my metal scrap for recycling.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6538 on: May 04, 2023, 06:41:10 AM »
Bulk trash day came and went - after extended discussion about some bigger items we'd been thinking about we had nothing to put out! I do have three items to list on our local Buy Nothing group, but these are in very good condition and things I THINK people would want - not trash; those are a project for this weekend. (It felt like a real accomplishment that we've gotten our home to a place where everything has a spot and is a meaningful addition to our home.)

Still working on smaller items - the kiddos' clothes are a constant battle, though my mom is coming in next week and we'll do a big once over and assessment of what they need for the summer. (Her love language is shopping so I try to channel that into items they NEED instead of more plastic crap my kids don't need or want.)

We did donate three REALLY nice hardback books to our eldest's school library. (Upon getting approval from the librarian - always ask about donating books to libraries beforehand, since most libraries want new-ish copies that will stand up to lots of movement!)

Hubs went to visit family (including a new baby) and took another bag of hand-me-down stuff out of our "give away or recycle" closet.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6539 on: May 04, 2023, 01:42:27 PM »
Left 2 hardcovers in the "leave a book, take a book" bookshelf at the local train station. It's weirdly gratifying to see they've vanished the next day/week. Also coralled a big bag full of assorted broken/unused/ancient cables and electronics (including an iPad 2 that still charges) ready for recycling.
Hey Vashy,

About the electronics. I was able to actually sell a couple 30 year old PC's (personal computers) by advertising them on Facebook. I got $10 each. Collectors / computer geeks / tinkerers bought them. I took the hard drives out first.

Good to know they aren't yet piled up in plastic wrap on a pallet in the Phillipines, lol.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6540 on: May 04, 2023, 01:50:02 PM »
OK, guys. About the huge empty cardboard box. I might keep it. Why? Because I am now 'curating' the stuff in my house, and the huge box would be an easy place to store stuff, and record it on my spreadsheet, as in 'the phone cords are inside a plastic bag, in the huge box'.     So convenient!   

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6541 on: May 04, 2023, 02:14:00 PM »
OK, guys. About the huge empty cardboard box. I might keep it. Why? Because I am now 'curating' the stuff in my house, and the huge box would be an easy place to store stuff, and record it on my spreadsheet, as in 'the phone cords are inside a plastic bag, in the huge box'.     So convenient!   

Entirely reasonable. A good box is a great place to keep all the phone cords you are definitely never gonna use again. ;)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6542 on: May 04, 2023, 03:05:00 PM »
It's also a good place to put all the single random items you are going to give away, but aren't going to make the trip for one item.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6543 on: May 04, 2023, 04:25:56 PM »
I'm between 2 spaces right now, living with extended family having started a new job... Old home has my immediate family / pets / things that I haven't moved in carry on luggage yet.

I'm headed back home tomorrow, so I cleaned through the small amount of stuff I have here. Got rid of some receipts, trash, expired papers etc. My few days at home will be spent getting the next load of stuff ready to come back here. Our move is tentatively in June or July.

I realized I don't like working out in shiny workout shirts, I'd rather just wear ratty cotton t shirts because they breathe better. So those are all going. Also gave a pair of jeans to a family member here, I lost weight and they're not the right fit any more. To be honest I can't even think of what's in the old house any more. The easy stuff was donated ages ago. Each progressive round of donations requires a bit more creativity and thought.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6544 on: May 04, 2023, 06:11:42 PM »

Entirely reasonable. A good box is a great place to keep all the phone cords you are definitely never gonna use again. ;)

Sorry, @slackmax, but Sadie makes a good point.  The more places we have to store things, the more things we store, the vast majority of which we are keeping "just in case."  Most likely to never be used and just forcing us to do it all over again in the future.  Major time-waster.  I know, because I've done this myself, lol.

I'm curious what your strategy was to get rid of acres of clothes?

I'm back on the decluttering wagon, having found some motivation finally - list of stuff to follow.  Stay tuned.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6545 on: May 04, 2023, 07:11:03 PM »
I’ve drafted patterns from two old favourite tops so I can now recycle the worn out fabric. Soon the storage cabinet will be cleared and then I can get rid of it too.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6546 on: May 04, 2023, 07:21:32 PM »

Sorry, @slackmax, but Sadie makes a good point.  The more places we have to store things, the more things we store, the vast majority of which we are keeping "just in case."  Most likely to never be used and just forcing us to do it all over again in the future.  Major time-waster.  I know, because I've done this myself, lol.

I'm curious what your strategy was to get rid of acres of clothes?

I'm back on the decluttering wagon, having found some motivation finally - list of stuff to follow.  Stay tuned.

SunnyDays, 

Yes, keep us posted!

It was easy for me to get rid of the acres of clothes because .....   a combination of being bored (which makes it easier for me to do the 'boring' task of decluttering, ironic, yes)  and the new knowledge that all these clothes are virtually worthless and unsellable, even though clean and pressed, since they are 'not in style'.  I had been ignoring them since they were all in closets and out of sight. 

Suddenly a row of dresses and blouses and jackets in one closet looked like easy prey. Hey, why not? So I just took them all out, one at a time, checked pockets for gold doubloons, cash, etc, verified that they looked unsellable, then put them into a bags.   

Another motivator was my realization that I would have new open space, even though in a closet, and it could be used to store other stuff that was currently cluttering a floor somewhere. 

Possibly another factor was that my former girl friend never wore these clothes, so no sentimental value. Maybe I was keeping them in honor of her memory, anyway.

Just acres and acres. Bags and bags. Thump, thump, onto the bottom of the donation bin, away they go, hopefully to  new wearers.   

Another motivator : the fact that my house is still too cluttered, even after what I would term 'significant' rounds of  decluttering. I was just sick of it all, and all those clothes took up a lot of open space that I could gain back.

One more thing. I had my current girl friend confirm that the clothes were unsellable. That helped.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6547 on: May 04, 2023, 08:54:27 PM »
checked pockets for gold doubloons
Did you find any?

Possibly another factor was that my former girl friend never wore these clothes, so no sentimental value. Maybe I was keeping them in honor of her memory, anyway.
This is very sweet.<3

---
I dropped off a trunk load of stuff to St. Vinny's 2 weeks ago. Already I have another 1/2 bag full. I have some categories of things I want to get rid of but need to figure out who will take them: magazines (my friends of the library will only accept magazines less than 6 mos old), old medication (my pharmacy won't accept them!!), electronics (some may be working, some not), etc.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6548 on: May 05, 2023, 08:14:34 AM »
In Phoenix you can put magazines into the recycle bins.  And the Staples and Best Buy stores accept old electronics, but of course it's best to double-check what your local stores will do. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6549 on: May 05, 2023, 10:21:30 AM »
Excellent going, @slackmax!  Sometimes things just seem to come together in our minds and we have a new perspective on it all.  I understand the feeling of being sick of it all.  That's what's gotten a lot of stuff out of my house too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!