Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249084 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #1950 on: January 11, 2019, 10:35:54 AM »
Love reading these updates :)

Today I am donating
- two beautiful (but overly fancy for us) glass candleholders
- long black skirt, never worn but doesn't suit me
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:38:35 AM by Serendip »

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1951 on: January 11, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
My paint stash is getting positively small! Used up and took another 3 gallons of primer and paint to the garage to dry before tossing them. I plan to paint the walls in the bedroom, which will use another gallon.

Well done!

I'm a little jealous...we have at least a dozen partial gallons of paint in the basement, most from the original owners of our house who used it probably 15+ years ago.  We've kept it because of laziness/intertia, but also because we thought it might be useful to do touch-ups (that hasn't happened) or to color-match if we ever decide to repaint some rooms (not gonna happen anytime soon).  The paint is probably no good after all this time, so I'd really like to start getting rid of it.

Oh, you had to remind me.  My wife couldn't decide from the color samples and just had to buy those little samples of blue paint to do a spot on a wall when we re-did our bedroom and expanded it.  We have probably 10 different shades.  When I redo our bathroom, which really needs it, my plan is to pour them all into a 5 gallon pail and paint the whole thing whatever color blue I get.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1952 on: January 11, 2019, 05:51:08 PM »
That paint is most likely garbage.  Depending on the pigments - it may only work for touch ups for three or four years (anything with reds is quickly faded in a bright room)  And you probably want the lower VOC paints on your walls now anyway.

If it's frozen at all, it definitely is garbage. A lot of hazardous waste drop offs will take old paint. I dumped something like 50 gallons on one in 2017. They were pretty shocked. So was I actually when I started gathering it all together and it just kept turning up.

I know the local recycling center has a 'hazardous waste disposal day' once or twice a year where they accept stuff like this.  I'll find out when that is and start counting down the days until I can reclaim that corner of my basement.  :)

I had a bunch of paint in my basement, some of it not that old, but when I opened the cans, the inside of the lids were rusty and of course all the "crumbs" fell into the paint.  So out it went.  I just took it to my local hardware store, and they happily accepted it for recycling.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1953 on: January 11, 2019, 08:41:36 PM »
My "#hugyourhome" this week resulted in a huge box of mugs and bottles beind fonsted, getting rid of the magic bullet.

Then my husband added 3 pairs of shoes and 2 pairs of jeans.

Plus a bunch of other random stuff.

Feel good about tonight. If there is no snow, it all goes to Goodwill tomorrow. Magic Bullet was already gifted on BNP.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #1954 on: January 12, 2019, 07:05:55 AM »
We are over 100 items since January 1. Yay! Not bad for 12 days.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1955 on: January 12, 2019, 02:30:55 PM »
Donated 2 big boxes of stuff, and my "old lady grocery cart" to the thrift store today.

In moving book cases up to our office, I found my two HS yearbooks.  I flipped through for about 2 minutes, thought "never want to look at these again" and into the trash they went.

Getting rid of a big cheapo corner desk that has been holding the printer in our office (way oversized for the job).  The room is so much nicer and more functional now.

The lady who does bodywork on my horses gave me some wild orange oil, which I'm running through the diffuser.  She says it promotes desires to cleanse/declutter, and her H suddenly cleaned out the garage so she can park inside when she started diffusing in her house.  Hoping it works on my husband, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  I might volunteer to clean up "his" room next week, maybe get rid of the ginormous non-working amp we've been dragging around for 13 years...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1956 on: January 12, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
Today I:
-Went through 12 year old's sock drawer, & found a bunch of solo socks. Matched up with three socks in our "where the heck do all of the socks go" drawer. Re-organized sock drawer so that he can now find soccer socks & shin guards easily.
-Donated an unopened puzzle & a game
-Found another item I can sell, so put that aside for when I'm back from all of my work travel

Now that I'm on a roll, I'm kind of tempted to go through my travel/sample toiletries, but should really work out instead. We'll see where I net out.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1957 on: January 12, 2019, 04:32:10 PM »
Not a personal win, but today I found out my sister has started watching Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, and has been inspired to start decluttering!  Not that she was particularly bad about clutter, but I'm sure she could stand to go through her things.

I have a batch ready to go to the thrift store the next time I head that way, and also a few books to be donated to the library.  Recently added a fruitbowl I was given as a housewarming gift, that I didn't like, and a computer bad of DH's that hurt his back when he used it for work.

Next up, one of these days, we really need to go through the storage space.  I'm sure I've forgotten most of what's down there, but it's a daunting task so I've been putting it off.  Plus I have to have DH with me, because a lot of the stuff may be his.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1958 on: January 13, 2019, 04:49:52 AM »
Not a personal win, but today I found out my sister has started watching Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, and has been inspired to start decluttering!  Not that she was particularly bad about clutter, but I'm sure she could stand to go through her things.

That's awesome!!

Good luck with the storage space.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1959 on: January 13, 2019, 04:53:18 AM »
Made so much progress today. I'm proud of me. Cleared out a whole cupboard in the laundry (still lots to do in there!), another kitchen cupboard and one of the hall cupboards. Giving away boxes of stuff on Buy Nothing.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1960 on: January 13, 2019, 05:25:26 AM »
Just tried out a whole lot of paints from tester pots I've been saving, and it's quite clear that all but one of them will never darken my walls. 

Gone.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1961 on: January 13, 2019, 06:45:55 AM »
RaymondR,
re:  coffee tables.  I was a little surprised to find out you can function without one.  I had a relative with a toddler who removed it for safety reasons, because as we all know toddlers will inevitably stumble and hit their heads on those darn things.  Removing it really opened up the living room space, so she kept it that way even after he was school age.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1962 on: January 13, 2019, 08:01:22 AM »
I'm a little jealous...we have at least a dozen partial gallons of paint in the basement, most from the original owners of our house who used it probably 15+ years ago.  We've kept it because of laziness/intertia, but also because we thought it might be useful to do touch-ups (that hasn't happened) or to color-match if we ever decide to repaint some rooms (not gonna happen anytime soon).  The paint is probably no good after all this time, so I'd really like to start getting rid of it.

That paint is most likely garbage.  Depending on the pigments - it may only work for touch ups for three or four years (anything with reds is quickly faded in a bright room)  And you probably want the lower VOC paints on your walls now anyway.

Most of the colors are neutral -- grays, beiges, light blues.  But you're still right that it's all most likely no good anymore.  I'm going to put this on my list of things that are somewhat annoying to get rid of.  Along with CFL bulbs, rechargeable batteries, old Christmas tree lights, and wood scraps.

Well sealed latex (water based) paints stored in reasonable condition are often still good for well over a decade. Color in the can probably hasn't shifted, though the color on the wall may have faded.

Not as good for touchups (unless you use techniques like drybrushing to blend instead of to highlight) - often still perfectly fine when painting a whole wall or room.

Any "skins" on the surface should be cut off and disposed of, but liquid paint and settled pigment is likely still good.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #1963 on: January 13, 2019, 08:13:39 AM »
It's a snow day here on the East Coast (U.S.).  Hubby will be working on about ten Ebay postings today. I'm proud of him for reselling a few of his power tools and related accessories that he knows he will not be using for many years until we sell this house and settle down somewhere else. Hoping he can get decent money for them instead of collecting dust. He's keeping anything we may need for general maintenance though or possibly to get this place ready to sell.

Since yesterday, I've found two more things to try to sell on Ebay and tossed or put on the donation pile about twenty more items we no longer need. Some never used. It's sad to see how many things enter our life and are never used, not even one time.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1964 on: January 13, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »
It's a snow day here on the East Coast (U.S.).  Hubby will be working on about ten Ebay postings today. I'm proud of him for reselling a few of his power tools and related accessories that he knows he will not be using for many years until we sell this house and settle down somewhere else. Hoping he can get decent money for them instead of collecting dust. He's keeping anything we may need for general maintenance though or possibly to get this place ready to sell.

Since yesterday, I've found two more things to try to sell on Ebay and tossed or put on the donation pile about twenty more items we no longer need. Some never used. It's sad to see how many things enter our life and are never used, not even one time.

You are not alone. I have many clothes that have never been worn and still have original tags on them. So many things used once or twice and never used again...

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1965 on: January 13, 2019, 09:03:10 PM »
Oneday - you are seriously rocking the email.

Thank you!

My sister is taking the Royal Albert tiered cake stand that was a gift from my BFF. My BFF is taking the Royal Doulton cut glass decanter that was a gift from my sister. I find this HILARIOUS.

This is amazing.  Truth is really stranger than fiction.

Decluttered a pair of pants that no longer fit: gave them to Sis.  Had to put her on a plane to go halfway across the country today, too :(  At least she won't be pants-less when she gets there.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1966 on: January 13, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
RaymondR,
re:  coffee tables.  I was a little surprised to find out you can function without one.  I had a relative with a toddler who removed it for safety reasons, because as we all know toddlers will inevitably stumble and hit their heads on those darn things.  Removing it really opened up the living room space, so she kept it that way even after he was school age.

We haven't had one in a decade. Just another thing to clean...

I made the Goodwill run today, do that's a win

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1967 on: January 14, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »
An article which fits nicely into this thread and forum: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/10/marie-kondo-you-know-what-would-spark-joy-buying-less-crap

Instead of buying more party supplies for my daughter's party, I posted a request on Buy Nothing.

I wasn't able to bring myself to go through all the kid art/sentimental stuff (just chucked it upstairs into the attic) but I did identify three handsewn Halloween costumes that I'm ready to part with.  Husband put them in the garage before I could take photos and post them, but hopefully I'll get the energy to do so soon.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1968 on: January 14, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »
I'm having a bit of a laugh at myself.  This weekend I moved our two free-standing book shelves up to the office along with the books.  In their place, I put four wall-mounted shelves - two on each side of the fireplace.  Aside from two small groups of books and two pairs of bookends, I have almost nothing to put on these shelves.  I'll have to comb through the house and try to find a few tchotchkes to keep them from looking completely empty.  I was considering adding a third tier of shelving, but clearly we don't need it!

adamsputnik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1969 on: January 14, 2019, 01:48:48 PM »
Continuing to make progress here. Over the weekend we tidied up the kitchen hutch, which involved getting rid of random crap that had built up in the drawers, tossing dozens of old candles and such, and getting a bunch of unused crockery ready for donation. Even that took a couple of hours.

Also took the remaining carload of trash from the basement to the dump today, so that's a lot less clutter sitting around down there.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1970 on: January 14, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »
An article which fits nicely into this thread and forum: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/10/marie-kondo-you-know-what-would-spark-joy-buying-less-crap

Instead of buying more party supplies for my daughter's party, I posted a request on Buy Nothing.

I wasn't able to bring myself to go through all the kid art/sentimental stuff (just chucked it upstairs into the attic) but I did identify three handsewn Halloween costumes that I'm ready to part with.  Husband put them in the garage before I could take photos and post them, but hopefully I'll get the energy to do so soon.

Yep- I hope Marie Kondo goes over with her clients that the next step is to not buy more things to fill the space.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1971 on: January 14, 2019, 05:09:34 PM »

Yep- I hope Marie Kondo goes over with her clients that the next step is to not buy more things to fill the space.
Good article--more space can and should start by having less all along!

I did toss a bag of ripped flannel sheets that I'd been holding onto in hopes of doing an art project...I then tried to donate them to the local animal shelter as liners but they didn't need them. I felt guilty throwing them out but really couldn't find a better way to dispose of them, no textile recycling around here. Used some to make cleaning rags and sewed some into washable wipes for my sister with a baby..but the mountain of sheets was a bit overwhelming.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:11:11 PM by Serendip »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1972 on: January 14, 2019, 06:31:09 PM »
It's the feeling I get in IKEA - you generally don't need a Cunning Storage Solution! What you need is Less Stuff!

Two more books into the street library. I am getting holes in the shelves now, instead of everything being double-stacked.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1973 on: January 14, 2019, 08:09:05 PM »
4 vases left the house yesterday.
today nothing much happened but I did find the receipt to some stuff I bought just in case and didn't so I will take it back tomorrow.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1974 on: January 14, 2019, 08:38:41 PM »

Good article--more space can and should start by having less all along!

I did toss a bag of ripped flannel sheets that I'd been holding onto in hopes of doing an art project...I then tried to donate them to the local animal shelter as liners but they didn't need them. I felt guilty throwing them out but really couldn't find a better way to dispose of them, no textile recycling around here. Used some to make cleaning rags and sewed some into washable wipes for my sister with a baby..but the mountain of sheets was a bit overwhelming.

Do you have a buy nothing project?
Next time, offer there. Someone else might be doing the craft project. (Though I occasionally worry about enabling hoarders, so there are some people I won't give to.)

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #1975 on: January 15, 2019, 01:29:57 AM »

I did get the impression that she was in a cycle of consuming then discarding. If you have a problem with excess stuff then the first thing to do is stop bringing it into the house.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1976 on: January 15, 2019, 04:49:02 AM »
Sold the high chair (for $10 more than I paid for it 5 years ago!) and got signed up for the spring consignment sale.  Will just go ahead and donate most of what's left after the sale.  I'd say that it's helping, but I think I'm losing the battle of the stuff (married to someone with hoarding tendencies). 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1977 on: January 15, 2019, 06:42:52 AM »

I did get the impression that she was in a cycle of consuming then discarding. If you have a problem with excess stuff then the first thing to do is stop bringing it into the house.

I'm not sure it matters which order your stop buying stuff. You just have to stop buying it.  People who do these TV shows aren't taking years to clean out stuff; so it's a difference of like a month if they declutter first or second.

In other news, got rid of a printer that's been sitting on the floor of my office waiting to be taken to the dump.  Finally had room in my trashcan (we have a 35 gallon can with biweekly pickup; so we rarely have spare space in it.)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1978 on: January 15, 2019, 06:51:19 AM »

My husband does this.  He's not necessarily buying things as much as he is finding treasures.  Sometimes it works out and he finds cool stuff that we can actually use.  Sometimes he brings home 16 bowling balls.  He's got decent taste, so if I could train him to actually let stuff go I think we could set up a solid side-gig flipping stuff like furniture that's left behind when the college kids move out at the end of the semester. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1979 on: January 15, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
I Did toss a bag of ripped flannel sheets that I'd been holding onto in hopes of doing an art project...I then tried to donate them to the local animal shelter as liners but they didn't need them. I felt guilty throwing them out but really couldn't find a better way to dispose of them, no textile recycling around here. Used some to make cleaning rags and sewed some into washable wipes for my sister with a baby..but the mountain of sheets was a bit overwhelming.

Most Thrift stores do fabric recycling simply because they receive so much unusable clothing.  The Salvation Army where I live actually has a facility specifically for recycling things that aren't sold in their stores.  That being said, I have also heard that only 1% of clothing in general ever gets truly recycled and tons of it ends up in Africa, where the unsold stuff there then gets burned.  Regarding sheets in particular, I use old ones for my outdoor plants when frost threatens.  Fast and effective.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1980 on: January 15, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »
I Did toss a bag of ripped flannel sheets that I'd been holding onto in hopes of doing an art project...I then tried to donate them to the local animal shelter as liners but they didn't need them. I felt guilty throwing them out but really couldn't find a better way to dispose of them, no textile recycling around here. Used some to make cleaning rags and sewed some into washable wipes for my sister with a baby..but the mountain of sheets was a bit overwhelming.

Most Thrift stores do fabric recycling simply because they receive so much unusable clothing.  The Salvation Army where I live actually has a facility specifically for recycling things that aren't sold in their stores.  That being said, I have also heard that only 1% of clothing in general ever gets truly recycled and tons of it ends up in Africa, where the unsold stuff there then gets burned.  Regarding sheets in particular, I use old ones for my outdoor plants when frost threatens.  Fast and effective.

That's great that they can recycle fabric--our community is small so not much in textile recycling resources but turnover at the thrift store is high (due to a transient population of seasonal workers)..so it's always better if  things can be donated because they move through all types of objects at a rapid rate.

Cleaning up my studio space today
--donating some fabric, film, bags and odds & ends art supplies

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1981 on: January 16, 2019, 05:08:54 AM »
Somehow I have managed to purge so much that I have four large bins that used to be full now empty.  They are quite handy to have to put stuff in for trips and activities ie: Kids, we are going skating - get your gear in this bin for the car" and then all the helmets and skates and water bottles get in there and it is one trip to the car. 
But it also means there is way less stuff in our house because they used to be full of I don't know what.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1982 on: January 16, 2019, 06:47:33 AM »

That's great that they can recycle fabric--our community is small so not much in textile recycling resources but turnover at the thrift store is high (due to a transient population of seasonal workers)..so it's always better if  things can be donated because they move through all types of objects at a rapid rate.

The way fabric recycling is done in my community is that it is bundled up and sold to someone out of state. There is no facility to recycle it here.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1983 on: January 20, 2019, 02:30:20 AM »

One thing I still want to do is replace some (or all) of the free-standing shelves with wall-mounted shelves.  We have six free-standing units and I really dislike the way they look.  Plus it really bothers me that I can't run the vacuum under the free-standing units!

You can mount free standing units to the wall.  You may need to add wood cleats to the wall across the studs, including one for below the unit to support it, then screw the units to the wall cleats... you can also use L brackets at the top of the unit..  depends on the construction of your units, of course, but we have had success with this..

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1984 on: January 20, 2019, 05:46:41 AM »
I helped husband clean out his closet and drawers. 32 items going to Goodwill. And now I can out his laundry away because they aren't stuffed so tight (but always nicely folded) that I can't squeeze more in.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1985 on: January 20, 2019, 06:31:57 AM »
We are moving in March so have made a major effort to get rid of things! Mostly selling on Craigslist and forums. This is what we’ve sold so far.

Motorcycle gloves $50
Skateboard $55
Motorcycle tire $80
Guitar amp $95
Books $65

Today we should be selling my guitar for $295 and this extra extension cord for our 5th wheel we sold for $75.

Hoping to sell my motorcycle soon as well, but we’ll see.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1986 on: January 20, 2019, 06:57:07 AM »
A few more things found their way into the give-away box.
Yesterday I defrosted the deep freezer and sorted through the contents before putting it all back in. (it was really really cold last night so I stick all the food out in the enclosed porch and it is just like being in the freezer!)
Tonight's meal is going to be mostly from said freezer.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1987 on: January 20, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »
Selling a loom, should be picked up tomorrow.
I feel happy to move it along as I didn't have the best relationship with this particular item, and maybe will own another in the future but for now--so MUCH space cleared up!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #1988 on: January 20, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »
I’ve been clearing out 5 items a day since Jan 1st...today’s the 20th... so I’m at 100 items given away, thrown away or listed/sold on Craigslist etc. since the start of 2019. Not a dent in the visual clutter or in my feeling of being overwhelmed/owned by my items. I will continue for the rest of January at least.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1989 on: January 20, 2019, 10:32:05 PM »
I’ve been clearing out 5 items a day since Jan 1st...today’s the 20th... so I’m at 100 items given away, thrown away or listed/sold on Craigslist etc. since the start of 2019. Not a dent in the visual clutter or in my feeling of being overwhelmed/owned by my items. I will continue for the rest of January at least.

That's a shame! Have you got time (maybe in Feb) to spend half a day tackling one group of things eg DVDs and CDs or clothes or shoes? Whatever might be taking up a lot of visual space and give you a boost.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1990 on: January 21, 2019, 05:11:36 AM »

I would suggest you get some giant garbage bags (33 gallon size), the black ones. Go to an area that needs hoeing out. Wing the stuff in the bag that you want to get rid of but not sell. Fill a bunch of bags up and throw them in your car. Drive them to the nearest Goodwill store and donate them. This will be a no brainer. No selling, no advertising, just winging junk in bags that someone else can use. If you don't want to take them to Goodwill, call the Vietnam Veterans and they will arrange a date and will pick them up outside your house. You just have to bag and tag them VVA. Magically, the bags will be gone! I would say go to the area that needs attention, take you bags and a timer. Allow yourself 30 minutes to one hour each session. Don't dilly dally. Do this knowing time is precious and you are on a mission. Don't overthink what you are getting rid of. Bad zones in your house are just junk holes that need to be hoed out. If certain things you pull out are questionable, put them to the side. Don't dwell on them right now. Your mission is to hoe and wing into bags. Do this once a week or more. Make it a game to see how many bags you can fill up in one hour. Hoeing out 5 items a day is fine once you get the bulk of the crap out of your house. Bag it, tag it and get rid of it! Now I need to do some hoeing and winging! Anyone want to have a black bag challenge? There are 10 days till the end of the month. We could all report in on how many bags we filled on January 31, 2019.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1991 on: January 21, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »
This weekend I had a couple small-but-meaningful wins in the Great Basement Decluttering.

First, after several cluttering/decluttering cycles in the basement over the past 5+ years, I've gradually ended up with three cardboard boxes containing small miscellaneous items that don't have an obvious home.  It seems kind of silly, but these small boxes (~4 cubic feet) have been a disproportionately large mental burden to me.  I see them frequently, and they are a constant reminder of tedious, unfinished business.

So I decided to tackle these boxes this weekend.  I did manage to throw a bit of it away, but mostly it was an exercise in sorting, combining like items, and finding/creating homes for things.  There is a beautiful empty place on the floor where the boxes once sat.  I still need to vacuum that spot for full closure.  But just knowing that I no longer have these dozens of orphaned items with no where to go -- it's a great feeling!

--

Second, I had planned to add some wall-mounted shelving to help organize my basement tool/work area.  I was at the hardware store and had $60+ worth of heavy-duty double-track shelf standards and brackets in my cart.  I started looking at the melamine shelf boards, and I realized that I was going to be spending $100+ just to make four smallish shelves.

My frugal side won out.  I put the heavy-duty stuff back and picked up $12 worth of angle brackets.  They only hold 100lbs, but that's still way more than I need for these shelves.  I also decided on the spot that I was going to use some scrap wood from a long-abandoned project instead of buying new shelf board.

When it was all said and done, it cost me $12 to organize my work area and my garage work bench (by removing 10+ sqft of scrap wood I re-purposed for the shelves).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1992 on: January 21, 2019, 10:07:54 AM »
Decided in addition to the youtube #hugyourhome (which gets rid of a signifigant number of items) I'm going to do the monthly "minimalism game"- 1 item first day, 2 second day, etc, for a month.  So that's another 496 items.

I don't have time to do that on a daily basis, so I'm going through and looking for items in sets that fit the numbers. 

I have 2 giant bags in my car for goodwill. I also decided the bag I wanted to consign I'll talk to goodwill. It's good stuff, but it's long sleeve and they are asking for summer now. I just want it gone.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1993 on: January 21, 2019, 01:58:55 PM »
Craigslisted a starter weight bench with a bar and weights for $25.

Wife decided she was going to take one container of stuff from our bedroom at a time and go through it.  First on included work benefits paperwork.........from 2003, a metal hanger and a bunch of medical receipts from the early 2000's.  So everything was properly recycled.  Container #2 is now chosen and ready to sort.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1994 on: January 21, 2019, 03:01:42 PM »
Working on clearing out an area in the basement so I have a space to set up the grow lights and heat mat for starting seedlings.  Lots of tools that don't have a space under the tool bench and cluttering up the surface.  Want to get them an away place or a new home.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1995 on: January 21, 2019, 03:32:58 PM »
Flights booked to go help my mum sort through and pack up her life as prep for moving house. Wish me luck.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #1996 on: January 21, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
I finally had the time to take pictures of and bag up the clothes I chose to get rid of a few weeks ago. I like to take pictures because it helps me be okay with letting things go. At least I'll always have that marker that it was in my life.

Anyway, it turned out to be 7 paper grocery bags worth. I can't believe I still had that much superfluous clothing after doing a giant Kondo-style purge a year ago!! It seriously has felt so good not to have the extra stuff in my closet and drawers. I finally feel like I'm at a click point (for clothing, at least).

Books and papers are still pretty good. Books all fit on one shelf and papers all fit in one accordion style folder. My next plan is to do a sweep of kitchen stuff and bathroom stuff. I can think of a few things off the top of my head that can go.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1997 on: January 21, 2019, 04:01:05 PM »
I made a goal to better use travel time last week. (International flights for work.) I deleted 565 photos, which is a good starting point. One of my goals for 2019 is to properly organize my photos, so getting rid of the junk will make it much easier to proceed.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1998 on: January 21, 2019, 04:23:31 PM »
Flights booked to go help my mum sort through and pack up her life as prep for moving house. Wish me luck.

Best of luck, mspym!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #1999 on: January 21, 2019, 04:29:22 PM »

I would suggest you get some giant garbage bags (33 gallon size), the black ones. Go to an area that needs hoeing out. Wing the stuff in the bag that you want to get rid of but not sell. Fill a bunch of bags up and throw them in your car. Drive them to the nearest Goodwill store and donate them. This will be a no brainer. No selling, no advertising, just winging junk in bags that someone else can use. If you don't want to take them to Goodwill, call the Vietnam Veterans and they will arrange a date and will pick them up outside your house. You just have to bag and tag them VVA. Magically, the bags will be gone! I would say go to the area that needs attention, take you bags and a timer. Allow yourself 30 minutes to one hour each session. Don't dilly dally. Do this knowing time is precious and you are on a mission. Don't overthink what you are getting rid of. Bad zones in your house are just junk holes that need to be hoed out. If certain things you pull out are questionable, put them to the side. Don't dwell on them right now. Your mission is to hoe and wing into bags. Do this once a week or more. Make it a game to see how many bags you can fill up in one hour. Hoeing out 5 items a day is fine once you get the bulk of the crap out of your house. Bag it, tag it and get rid of it! Now I need to do some hoeing and winging! Anyone want to have a black bag challenge? There are 10 days till the end of the month. We could all report in on how many bags we filled on January 31, 2019.

So we did the big purge before we put our home on the market, and  another when we downsized into this home. A lot of what’s left is the stuff I put off to decide about later. Clutter=deferred decisions.
And then a lot of it isn’t mine. DH’s or the kids. I’m finding the 5 a day goal helps rally the troops— it’s so concrete.