Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249356 times)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #1350 on: October 14, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
On just one counter, my teen likes to rest bits of food-related items. That space is literally inches from multiple appropriate receptacles. I put a sign on the counter: "Do not store things here. A thing goes in recycling, compost, wash bin, or garbage. Nothing goes here." Likely it will need to stay put just a few days before Teen has established a new habit. Looking forward to that :)

It worked :)

Also, after years and years of owning this size and style of shredder, I only JUST realized a grocery bag can fit inside it, like with a garbage can. Makes it a teeny bit simpler to get 'er done. Three grocery bags of shreds out today.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1351 on: October 14, 2018, 04:16:41 PM »
I got rid of a big and bulky set of shelves that we had no room for anymore! They were just IKEA chipboard, didn't think anyone would want them, but there you go! Also got rid of an unused appliance to a friend. Our dining room is now bright and airy again. Just ignore the half finished projects on the dining table and the books in piles in the living room...

Question: we were given a lovely wedding gift (that was years ago now) that I've never displayed. It's two matching artworks that show where we met and where we married. However, the dates and locations are a little bit wrong and there's some wording that bugs me. It's unlikely the gifters will ever visit and ask about them but I'm finding it very hard to put them in the bin... I did think about having them remade with the correct details because otherwise they are nice to look at and I have a suitable wall spot. WWYD??

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1352 on: October 14, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
^ I would ditch them. Once something's niggling at me to go, and my primary reason not to release them is that the gifter might notice, that tells me it's bye-bye time. If it's possible, I would take them apart and remove the identifying elements, donating the parts. A thrift shopper will do something crafty with the parts or wholes, making something they love. If they can't be taken apart, and you remain concerned about the gifter, I would take them on my next road trip and put them in a different town's thrift shop or landfill them.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1353 on: October 14, 2018, 04:30:35 PM »
Is there a way to modify and or correct it?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1354 on: October 14, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »
Is there a way to modify and or correct it?

It's a printed map with text. It's possibly only the text which is a problem so in theory I could get someone with good calligraphy to write on a bit of card and put that over the top. Hmmmm, that might work.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1355 on: October 14, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »
^ I would ditch them. Once something's niggling at me to go, and my primary reason not to release them is that the gifter might notice, that tells me it's bye-bye time. If it's possible, I would take them apart and remove the identifying elements, donating the parts. A thrift shopper will do something crafty with the parts or wholes, making something they love. If they can't be taken apart, and you remain concerned about the gifter, I would take them on my next road trip and put them in a different town's thrift shop or landfill them.

They are unframed prints so it's a simple recycle if necessary. I'll make the call before the week is out! I'm rearranging pictures this week to get all the good ones up in a more stylish way and disposing of a few. You would not know I Kondo-ed my house 18 months ago, there are so many little things that have hung on... ;)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1356 on: October 14, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
This weekend's wins:

- Approximately 8 pairs of trousers that Ofpym has accepted he will never wear again - they are nice! but not his style- all went to the Vinnies that is chronically underserved for men's clothing, along with the Mulberry handbag. It seems appropriate since that is where I got the bag in the first place.

- My old futon base, which we replaced because we were perpetually cracking our ankle bones on the supports in the middle of the night, now forms two dog barriers - one between our house and the neighbours so she doesn't jump on the dividing wall to taunt the doberman next door, and the other can be placed in the basement door so we can work out with no risk of her getting loose and onto the street.

- 10 aged teatowels that were a bit oil stained and non absorbant have transitioned into the bike rag pile, freeing up space in the teatowel drawer for towels that actually dry and 3 washclothes are now repurposed for cleaning.

Wins all over the show.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1357 on: October 14, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »
Whoah, 8 pairs of trousers is huge. So much space.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1358 on: October 14, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

He is a bit more of a hoarder than I am. What if he neeeeeeeds to build his own electric bass? Or identify the plants and gardening needs of coastal Savannah, despite living in Sydney for 8 years?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1359 on: October 14, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »

He is a bit more of a hoarder than I am. What if he neeeeeeeds to build his own electric bass? Or identify the plants and gardening needs of coastal Savannah, despite living in Sydney for 8 years?

I have explained to hubby that should he decide to career change instead of retiring, some more up to date books to help him will be available in the library, but no go. These are 10 yrs old and were dated then.

Lincolnshire Girl

• Stubble
« Reply #1360 on: October 15, 2018, 04:46:16 AM »
Currently decluttering ready for a house downsize next summer, from a 4 bed 2 bath to a 2 bed 1 bath as our youngest gets ready for uni.
Following for inspiration as we have approx 17 years of paperwork (house and business) to tackle. Rest of the house is pretty good as we're quite minimalist by nature.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1361 on: October 15, 2018, 07:59:44 AM »
I so need this.  We have soooo much stuff.  DH is a collector of things.  Like he'll pick up stuff on the side of the road.  Sometimes he'll get winners, like the awesome globe bar carts (he managed to find two exactly the same in two different towns and between the two had everything to create one whole one) or the wooden easel for my son or the stained glass chandelier hanging in my dining room.  And sometimes....well....let's just say that he brought home 16 bowling balls one time (WTF?).  And I'm pretty sure he kept every toy he ever had so now my kid's playroom looks like Toys 'R' Us circa 1987 exploded.  I swear it's genetic.  His dad has four (?) storage units plus a full basement of stuff and my son is starting to show signs of it too.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a thrift store junkie myself, but I'm trying to restrict myself to things like clothes for my kid who won't stop growing. 

I did manage to sell an office chair that we don't have room for anymore.  Someone got a great deal on a pretty nice chair, I got it out of my house and got $20 to spend at the fall fest.  Win-win.  Now if I can sell the desk that went with the chair.  I think I paid $30 or $40 for it awhile back.  I wonder if I can get $20. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1362 on: October 15, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »

I so need this.  We have soooo much stuff.  DH is a collector of things.  Like he'll pick up stuff on the side of the road.  Sometimes he'll get winners, like the awesome globe bar carts (he managed to find two exactly the same in two different towns and between the two had everything to create one whole one) or the wooden easel for my son or the stained glass chandelier hanging in my dining room.  And sometimes....well....let's just say that he brought home 16 bowling balls one time (WTF?).  And I'm pretty sure he kept every toy he ever had so now my kid's playroom looks like Toys 'R' Us circa 1987 exploded.  I swear it's genetic.  His dad has four (?) storage units plus a full basement of stuff and my son is starting to show signs of it too.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a thrift store junkie myself, but I'm trying to restrict myself to things like clothes for my kid who won't stop growing. 

I did manage to sell an office chair that we don't have room for anymore.  Someone got a great deal on a pretty nice chair, I got it out of my house and got $20 to spend at the fall fest.  Win-win.  Now if I can sell the desk that went with the chair.  I think I paid $30 or $40 for it awhile back.  I wonder if I can get $20. 

I had an aunt and uncle that were antique nuts. They stuffed this old house of theirs (2 floors) to the ceiling and had to move out. The stuff was probably worth tons of money but they hoarded it and never sold the stuff. I am sure the house temp was hot and humid in the summer and freezing in the winter. Eventually, the roof leaked and they didn't fix it. So you can imagine what a mess that is. If I had to guess the rotten old house is still filled with broken, worthless antiques now. Maybe you need to reign in your husband and discuss selling some of his treasures for profit. Encourage him to open a joint bank account that would be for the sale of these treasures. A future retirement fund. He has a good eye for finding these things, you could be the one to sell them. Or have a tag sale once a month, ebay, craigslist.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1363 on: October 15, 2018, 08:33:10 AM »

I had an aunt and uncle that were antique nuts. They stuffed this old house of theirs (2 floors) to the ceiling and had to move out. The stuff was probably worth tons of money but they hoarded it and never sold the stuff. I am sure the house temp was hot and humid in the summer and freezing in the winter. Eventually, the roof leaked and they didn't fix it. So you can imagine what a mess that is. If I had to guess the rotten old house is still filled with broken, worthless antiques now. Maybe you need to reign in your husband and discuss selling some of his treasures for profit. Encourage him to open a joint bank account that would be for the sale of these treasures. A future retirement fund. He has a good eye for finding these things, you could be the one to sell them. Or have a tag sale once a month, ebay, craigslist.

I'm working on him.  The antiques in my house are the ones that we hand-picked to go in our house.  The storage units have the rest of them.  But that falls into FIL's realm and since he doesn't need the money he's more interested in keeping the stuff.  We know that we are going to have to deal with this stuff sooner or later, but that's not today's battle to fight. 

I think my next goal is going to be getting my kid's clothes/diapers/baby toys into the next round of consignment sales.  We debated awhile as to whether or not we're going to have another one and the answer seems to be no so it's time for all that stuff to go (I think MIL expects that we'll send a lot of stuff to BIL/SIL, but that's just not going to happen).  A lot of that stuff we bought used and should be able to get 75-80% of our money back on.  Especially on some of the diaper stuff. 

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1364 on: October 15, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »
Working on my "June" box. Currently 13+ weeks pregnant so Mr. Pug and I really need to get the house decluttered before Puglet shows up next April!

We sold 2 floor lamps for $20 this weekend so it was nice to get some money in exchange for our "junk" I'll be putting my skis up soon and a bookshelf. Most other things will just be given away.

151 items donated
3 items sold

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1365 on: October 15, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
I took two shirts with me to my weekend visit with my friends. Each wanted one, so those are both out of the house. I also cleaned out some workout clothes that had shrunk & were too small at our vacation house. Another 4 items gone. I bought ski pants for our younger son, but then realized that we already had a pair that would work, so those are going back as well.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1366 on: October 15, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »
I'm a minimalist at heart and excited to join this thread.
I've moved more times than I can count, so I've always kept my possessions down to two carloads at most, BUT I'm planning to buy a house in late 2019/early 2020 so I want to pare it down as much as I can, and get rid of things with bad energy (yep, that sounds woo woo when I type it out) or poor function.
I've already started this process prior to digging into this thread, so I'll start with planning.

To Do:
Update Capsule Wardrobe excel spreadsheet
Make Household item list spreadsheet (yes, I seriously want to do this)

Sell:
Leaf Blower (must clean up first)
Espresso machine
Bean Grinder (maybe just give away)

Clean out/Give Away:
Crafting/soap making items
Sort bins under bed
Make donation trip to local nonprofit thrift shop when I get two more bags or boxes (NOT Goodwill)

Yay!  Glad to join in!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1367 on: October 15, 2018, 12:23:19 PM »
so now my kid's playroom looks like Toys 'R' Us circa 1987 exploded. 

I had saved a bunch of DS's toys - 1980s and 90s.  I wanted to give him the chance to decide what to keep (if anything) and what to get rid of.  My parents turfed all my stuff without asking during a move when I was 13, and I didn't want to do the same to him.  He used to call it the 'junk in the garage', until he decided to sell it.  He has made over $4000 selling this stuff - most of it went for way more than we ever paid for it originally.  His buyers seemed to either be grandparents, or millennials whose parents had turfed their toys, and they wanted them back.  Now DS calls the stuff I saved the 'goldmine in the garage'.   : )  There are still a few things out there, but we have kept them for our 'grandparents box'.  Grandson needs something to play with when he comes, and it's all new to him.   We went from about 10 big boxes to just one smaller one over the last two years.

Mr. SP got rid of his stamp collection finally.  This is huge!  He hadn't really paid any attention to it in years, but could not bear to part with it.  Then he saw DS getting rid of things and making money, and decided it was time.  3 huge tubs and 2 boxes of stamps gone to someone who was thrilled to buy them.  Buyer got a good deal, and we got half a closet back.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1368 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
My mom kept a lot of my stuff up until the time they tried to put the house on the market (2008...not the best time to try that) and then they threw out everything.  What was left fell victim to a mouse infestation a few years later.  I'm glad I got my Nintendos and stuff out when I moved into my first college apartment. 

The main problem that we're having with the toys is that they aren't really in great condition.   The Star Wars figures were held together by rubber bands that have dry-rotted.  I can see my husband die a little inside every time Luke Skywalker's torso becomes separated from his legs.

Nancy

« Reply #1369 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
Welcome @JanetJackson! I wish I could have my stuff down to two carloads.

Today's the day that I'm finally going to drive my bag o' stuff down to the Goodwill. I've been thinking about decluttering a lot lately, but I feel like I can't figure out a way to hunker down and get started. I'm procrastinating.

Things to do:
Pull all plants in my garden
sell my extra bikes!
clear out under the bathroom sink
clear out hall closet

Three of those things are super easy and doable. I have to be realistic with myself and say the bike thing probably isn't going to happen until it absolutely must.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1370 on: October 16, 2018, 08:06:04 AM »
This weekend I got two more things out of my house. We gave a game to a friend and gave him back a game that he left at our place months ago.

Today is my last day of unemployment and while I didn't get as much decluttering done as I had hoped, I'm happy with how things are going. The office bothers me much less than it used to and I think once we change out the futon for a more appropriate loveseat I'll actually want to spend some time in there :) The closet needs more reorganizing, but I realized that will be a slower process than I assumed. I'm not really trying to get rid of anything, just organize it better and for me organizing things "correctly" is a matter of finding what "feels right" (which is kinda woo woo but if it "feels right" then things naturally get put back in their "correct" place and the house stays cleaner) and that takes longer than just finding a place that "should be right"

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1371 on: October 16, 2018, 09:03:07 AM »
Took non-functioning lcd tv, printer, and ancient fax machine to the recycling depot.  Trying to get rid of something every week until we are down to only things I would want to pay to move.  (Moving may be next year, maybe 2 years, but it will happen at some point, so we may as well prepare now.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1372 on: October 16, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
I need to get back on track & continue decluttering. Here's my goal for the next week or so:
-Find 5 items to donate
-Find/list 3 items for sale
-Go through the kids rooms & toss 10 items. (This should be the easiest).
-Clean my closet floor. . . things seem to accumulate there

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1373 on: October 16, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »
I have about 10 full 33 gallon garbage bags to give to Vietnam Vets. Gotta make a phone call to arrange pick up.

I have a gigantic suitcase full of good men's clothes I had planned to sell on ebay a few years ago. I have not opened it up to see what is inside. Do you think I should just donate it since it is all packed up or try to sell the items? Maybe the moths have eaten them!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1374 on: October 16, 2018, 11:40:52 AM »
Took everything out of my clothes cupboard and put in in a pile--
picked out everything that I am ambivalent about and into the give-away box it went!

Many t-shirts, button-ups & leggings did not make the cut
Now books are next.

Liberating

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1375 on: October 16, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »
I have about 10 full 33 gallon garbage bags to give to Vietnam Vets. Gotta make a phone call to arrange pick up.

I have a gigantic suitcase full of good men's clothes I had planned to sell on ebay a few years ago. I have not opened it up to see what is inside. Do you think I should just donate it since it is all packed up or try to sell the items? Maybe the moths have eaten them!

How much do you realistically think you could get for the full lot, minus selling expenses, shipping costs, etc? If it's less than $50, I'd definitely not consider it. I'd also be super tempted to just donate, given it's all packaged & ready to go! :-)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1376 on: October 16, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
Do you think I should just donate it since it is all packed up or try to sell the items?

Donate! What a nice gift for the charity (which will raise funds for a good cause), the staff/volunteers of the charity, and the recipients...and for you!

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #1377 on: October 16, 2018, 03:53:26 PM »
Papers are not totally done yet, but almost. A lot to trash and recycling, yay! DH really surprised me in a positive way.

Now DH is going away for a couple of days. I hope to be able to continue with some minor tasks while he is away, but lots of work + kids will make it tough. But I will see any progress as good, even if it is small.

Something strange: This weekend, we went to some friends for dinner. We see them quite often and like spending time with them. They have kids and work a lot like us, but their home is so different from ours. There is no stuff laying around... I mean, I assume they pick up before every time we visit them, and I know they have a cleaning service, but still... So yes, it looks nice - good for them, but I am surprised at the way I react - I get absurdly annoyed. Normally, I don't have a problem being happy for other persons but in this case, I get more or less furious. So strange... is it because I feel so inferior? I think so. I think it makes me feel like I cannot keep my house in order. And also I am annoyed because (I think) she has so much more time than me to spend on whatever she likes (kids, exercise, etc) since she doesn't have to declutter all the time and cleaning/having things in order is so much quicker with so much less stuff.
I think I need to think about these feelings a bit more and try to analyze myself further :-)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1378 on: October 17, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »

So yes, it looks nice - good for them, but I am surprised at the way I react - I get absurdly annoyed. Normally, I don't have a problem being happy for other persons but in this case, I get more or less furious. So strange... is it because I feel so inferior? I think so. I think it makes me feel like I cannot keep my house in order. And also I am annoyed because (I think) she has so much more time than me to spend on whatever she likes (kids, exercise, etc) since she doesn't have to declutter all the time and cleaning/having things in order is so much quicker with so much less stuff.
I think I need to think about these feelings a bit more and try to analyze myself further :-)

Good self-awareness @LinneaH  Hope you find the insight you are looking for  :)

I also feel like I spend too much time occupied with caring for/decluttering/organizing my things--coming from a family where we were overwhelmed by one persons hoarded goods..it can be a real mental drain (which is why I like to keep my own in check).
Have a minimalist/meditator friend who amazes me with her simple lifestyle but generally it leads to feeling inspired rather than irritated..she is a very conscious consumer and surrounds herself with beautiful things but her space is beacon of hope to me.

This morning I have continued to add to the give-away box
--fabric from someone I had a falling out with, always reminds me of it
--a backpack I was given that I don't need
--lampshade that was sitting in the closet for some reason

And consignment store pile
--a dress that's a bit too tight these days
--shoes ..ditto
--leather jacket from a lifestyle I no longer live
--vintage fur that I never, ever have worn
--fancy sweater of a style I wore in my 20's

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1379 on: October 17, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »
I know my updates are small/boring, but I find that i need the baby steps/consistent check ins to keep things moving. So, yesterday I found three shirts that I don't want/need. Two are work shirts that I'll never wear again, and one is a tank top that doesn't fit properly. All in the donation pile.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1380 on: October 17, 2018, 12:21:35 PM »
Just posted on FB to get rid of three books from grad school that I'll never use again -- got one taker already. :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1381 on: October 17, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
I know my updates are small/boring...

I love them :)   Every post here is a shot of joy in my life. I love having little, love releasing stuff, and love reading others' steps - big or tiny.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1382 on: October 17, 2018, 01:24:02 PM »
Going through toiletries--eegads :)

Removing
--seven pairs of tweezers (!!)
--piles of soap/sewing kits that my SO brings from his travels
--threw out all expired allergy meds/doubles of first aid items

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1383 on: October 17, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »

Removing

I have a friend who belongs to a church that does breakfast programs for struggling families and the homeless.  They are always very happy to get any hotel toiletries, travel size toothpaste and toothbrushes from the dentist, etc.  They make up little gift bags with them, and pass them out at Christmas or when needed.

Do you have something like that available?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1384 on: October 17, 2018, 03:41:54 PM »
I have listed some collectable crockery (not mine, someone else was throwing out and I thought I could make money :/). This is the third time I've tried to sell it. I'm going to try one more approach (the US market via eBay international shipping) then I'm giving it away.

Yesterday I got rid of a couple of old magazines that were hiding with some decorating inspo. Today I'm going to go through the decorating inspo and make some sort of mood board. I had kept flyers from furniture shops and stuff - some are so old that when I google them I found they are out of business!

Finally - yesterday we had plantation shutters installed. The venetian blinds that were removed - I found a home for two sets that still work. I think the others are destined for landfill. We are still deciding whether to keep the curtains - the rooms are so echoey with just shutters! But I think they would be easy to give away. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1385 on: October 17, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »
Okay! Flooring is done and we're "moving back in" and staging the house. Added to the goodwill pile already: framed print of the human body that has the leg proportions all wrong and always bothered me, even though it was useful during A&P. Three pairs of boots and a pair of rain boots. I'll be posting a bunch of painting supplies and some planters to buy nothing- hope someone can use them.

As for reducing visual clutter: our gatorade powder came in this horrific giant orange canister. Only about 1/4 is left, so I moved it into a glass container we had that was perfect size. Same for a costco size tub of coconut oil- pretty ugly plastic container, hard to store, only like 20% of the (huge) container left. I melted it by putting it in a sink full of hot water then decanted it into a mason jar. Much cleaner looking, and will look all pretty when people snoop in the pantry.

Currently leaving all the 'extra' stuff in the garage, it isn't getting moved back in yet, and we'll go through it as we go.

Things I'm struggling with:
-Poster from my first undergrad of a paper I presented.
-Violin. I used to play when I was younger, then played again for a while in college. I don't know how to anymore, but hope to re-learn some day. It's crazy though because I've toted a violin place to place (9 or 10 times?) and haven't played in like 8 years >.<

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1386 on: October 17, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »
-Violin. I used to play when I was younger, then played again for a while in college. I don't know how to anymore, but hope to re-learn some day. It's crazy though because I've toted a violin place to place (9 or 10 times?) and haven't played in like 8 years >.<

Jumping in to motivate myself, and also to comment on these!  I am in exactly the same situation, I can't bear to get rid of my first ever academic poster, so it stays rolled up in my closet.  And I used to play oboe, and want to again, but I haven't played since college because of living in apartments with thin walls.  Once I have the space/privacy, I don't know if I'll be able to play anymore, but I also know if I get rid of my instrument, it'll be hard to find another I like as much...  I've got lower hanging fruit to declutter for now, though.

Things I need to declutter:
 - Sewing box + fabric box - get rid of duplicates, make sure I know what I have in there
 - kitchen cabinets - organize and clean shelves
 - winter clothes - try on and donate anything that doesn't fit or no longer my style
 - liquor cabinet - move things to front to be consumed first to clear out

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1387 on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:03 PM »

Jumping in to motivate myself, and also to comment on these!  I am in exactly the same situation, I can't bear to get rid of my first ever academic poster, so it stays rolled up in my closet.  And I used to play oboe, and want to again, but I haven't played since college because of living in apartments with thin walls.  Once I have the space/privacy, I don't know if I'll be able to play anymore, but I also know if I get rid of my instrument, it'll be hard to find another I like as much...  I've got lower hanging fruit to declutter for now, though.

- Sewing box + fabric box - get rid of duplicates, make sure I know what I have in there
 - winter clothes - try on and donate anything that doesn't fit or no longer my style

The academic poster one is so weird, right? I ended up in a different field than my first undergrad (nursing vs a science degree), and so it feels like that poster is so symbolic of a different time and path in my life, and it's nice to remember I DID that. But it's like... I can't really hang up a poster like that, haha. It's bright orange for one!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1388 on: October 17, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »

The academic poster one is so weird, right? I ended up in a different field than my first undergrad (nursing vs a science degree), and so it feels like that poster is so symbolic of a different time and path in my life, and it's nice to remember I DID that. But it's like... I can't really hang up a poster like that, haha. It's bright orange for one!

I can verify that just looking at the PDFs of my first posters provides a good nostalgia hit, so maybe you can rely on an electronic copy or a picture?

All my printed copies were left at my various labs, I think.  Maybe some are still on the wall there? (Probably not, haha.)

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #1389 on: October 17, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
I also still have my undergraduate posters and my old instruments....To be fair, I have played my clarinet in the last year or two and am still singing so it's not totally crazy I'd pick up the clarinet for something again.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I may take the posters to work. Does that count as decluttering?

Anyway, the real reason I came to post in this thread is that I got the fudge and smoked paprika out of my house. I recently listened to a podcast about a food sharing app called Olio and decided to give it a try. It's meant to reduce food waste by connecting people who have food they don't want with others who would enjoy it. It's based in the UK, where I think it's more active. There aren't very many listings in my city. But someone saw my post and wanted the items! She picked them up tonight.

If that hadn't worked, I was going to try my neighborhood's Nextdoor. I've never used Buy Nothing or Freecycle here but I will also keep those in mind for the future. I also would have considered donating to a food pantry, but the pantries in my area had specific requests that were not fudge.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1390 on: October 17, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »
Awesome on the food redistribution, zygote!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1391 on: October 18, 2018, 07:06:01 AM »
@zygote That's great!  I downloaded that app a while ago, but after three months of no postings in my area, I deleted it.
Hoping to try again maybe next year as it's fanbase grows!

----------------------------------------------------

I successfully moved this little desk that's been in my house forever into my car.  It'll go to the thrift shop this week!  Yay!
I also spent an hour or so doing mending projects last night, rather than going out and buying new things to add to my junk.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1392 on: October 18, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
When I did my annual files cull, I came across 15 sheets of paper all related to one purchase -four copies of the receipt (?!), copy of the full reimbursement package submitted at the time, three copies of the warranty, etc. I was pretty sure the warranty had long expired, but called today to confirm. Yep! The product is working perfectly still, the warranty expired two YEARS ago, and now I get to shred this many more pages :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1393 on: October 18, 2018, 12:46:24 PM »
More more more! Added an old test prep book and a set of speakers to the goodwill box. Went through a couple drawers and tidied, plus a few glass jars are going to recycling. On the "pretty for staging" front, consolidated a couple bags of coffee into pretty jars, so the cupboard is nice and clean now.

A tiny bit down, SO Much more to go! On the bright side, everyone who comes to work on the house or give bids tells us they think we'll sell super fast. Maybe just good marketing, but it feels nice to hear the votes of confidence!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1394 on: October 18, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »

--threw out all expired allergy meds

It's best to take old meds to the pharmacy for proper disposal, otherwise it can leech into groundwater or end up in bodies of water.  Not good for people or animals.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1395 on: October 18, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
Took the last of the handbags I wanted to give away* to book club last night, got 1 sneer from the woman who is insanely & pointlessly competitive and 1 offer** to take it for the dress-up box. I know I know but it's a $400 handbag! So reaching out to Dress for Success to see if they will want it. Otherwise it will go to the work colleague who wants it.

Also my trip to NZ is planned so that will be a suitcase of manga out of the house!

*this round
**from a really nice woman who I like

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1396 on: October 18, 2018, 06:49:34 PM »
Put three more necklaces in the donation pile. Two have never been worn, and were gifts. I like the idea of small, steady steps each day!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1397 on: October 18, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »

--threw out all expired allergy meds

It's best to take old meds to the pharmacy for proper disposal, otherwise it can leech into groundwater or end up in bodies of water.  Not good for people or animals.

Thanks, good to know @SunnyDays
 I've taken pain med's/opiates back to the pharmacy but never considered it with the over-the-counter anti-histamines. I'll look into it next time!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1398 on: October 18, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »

Removing

I have a friend who belongs to a church that does breakfast programs for struggling families and the homeless.  They are always very happy to get any hotel toiletries, travel size toothpaste and toothbrushes from the dentist, etc.  They make up little gift bags with them, and pass them out at Christmas or when needed.

Do you have something like that available?

Yes--thank you. The local thrift store is connected with/run by the social services group in the area so they receive and put these items to use :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:31:35 PM by Serendip »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1399 on: October 18, 2018, 10:14:21 PM »
I my mind, this counts.

Last weekend I hung up my cork board, which has been in my closet for 6 months.  The only thing on it all week was the slip from the library showing due dates.  Kind of pathetic-looking.  Today inspiration struck, and I hung up the envelopes I use to hold receipts between the time I enter them in my spreadsheet and when I balance the checkbooks (6 envelopes).  They fill up a nice bit of the board and it no longer looks pathetic!

Ooh, another inspiration.  Some of the things in my last 2 unpacked boxes from the move were originally on the cork board...I should see if I want them back, or donate them.  Onward!