Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249096 times)

YellowCat

• Bristles
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #5000 on: April 10, 2021, 05:56:27 PM »
Target finally ran a car seat recycling event so we were able to get an old car seat out of our garage & a coupon for baby gear in return. I’m good with that. This thing was lightly pre-loved, gifted by a neighbor, and not a good fit for our kid, and it was huge! I also gave a huge pile of bubble wrap to my sister, who’s moving.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5001 on: April 10, 2021, 05:56:54 PM »
Originally my ex was buying the house and qualified for a loan. I packed and all my stuff filled 33 plastic bins plus some furniture. All the rest of this junk is my ex’s. It’s my problem because the buyers won’t close unless it’s gone. His loan fell through and I put it on the market. We have been working nonstop for the past 30 days. Ugh!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5002 on: April 10, 2021, 06:30:50 PM »
Is there a charity that wants socks?   Like, socks that are annoying to wear?
I use them for
- Dusting
- Applying shoe polish
- Tie some together and play tug-of-war with the dog

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5003 on: April 11, 2021, 02:08:56 PM »
Is there a charity that wants socks?   Like, socks that are annoying to wear?
I use them for
- Dusting
- Applying shoe polish
- Tie some together and play tug-of-war with the dog

Make Tawashi sponges from old socks:
https://www.permacrafters.com/how-to-make-your-own-eco-friendly-dish-sponge-the-tawashi-scrubber/

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #5004 on: April 11, 2021, 07:42:39 PM »
Dropped 2 bags of clothing (secondhand maternity clothes I didn’t like + a few items I wasn’t getting good use out of) and a box of kitchen supplies at the goodwill today. I’m continuing my efforts to only own clothing that I like & that fits me properly. I’m very tempted to donate a lot of my formal work clothes but I guess it’s possible I’ll have to return to the office someday... :)

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #5005 on: April 11, 2021, 09:32:51 PM »
This may be TMI, but I have a pile of reusable menstrual pads I no longer use. Did not want to throw them away, and I assume most people would be freaked out if I tried to post them on FB even as a donation. Was chatting to a friend who has just had a baby and she said there is a big market for used cloth nappies, and maybe I could try posting them on the local FB nappy swap/sell page, as obviously some of the mothers who use reusable nappies would also be interested in reusable pads.
Otherwise, I suppose I could use them as dusting cloths, or at worst, compost them.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5006 on: April 12, 2021, 07:46:20 AM »
Lucky break in my decluttering saga. I saw a microwave for sale at a flea market. Thought about offering $5 for it. I have been meaning to buy one cheap, for a long time, simply to use it to reheat cold coffee, since I thought it must use less electricity than the electric stovetop I currently use. I somehow decided not to even offer anything for the microwave, since I just didn't want another thing in my kitchen, and just live with the extra electricity cost, and wear and tear on the burner and dial switch of the stovetop.  Lo and behold, I googled it, and it turns out that the average microwave uses 25% more electricity to heat up a cup of water than a stovetop burner. For the win! Of course I still have the wear and tear on the dial, turning it on and off every day forever, but it seems to be lasting forever anyway, lol.       

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5007 on: April 12, 2021, 08:16:26 AM »
That is a tough one Slackmax. I lived for years without a microwave, but now that we have a built in one in this house we use it heavily, but I wouldn’t give up counter space for it.

In that vein.  I’m thinking about getting rid of our toaster oven.  I can’t believe I said that!  We use it a lot, but now that we have a good stove and oven in this house we use the toaster oven a lot less than we did in our past rentals.  It would be so nice to have that counter space empty.  Maybe we could get by with just a slice toaster? We do eat toast for breakfast often.  We use the toaster oven for reheating many leftovers, or baking brownies, or frozen pizza.  But... it would be so nice to have that space back.  If I see a nice slice toaster at thrift...

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5008 on: April 12, 2021, 09:03:21 AM »
I had a toaster oven taking up space on my kitchen counter, too, PMG.  I think I must have donated it, since I never used it. I should have tried to sell it at the flea market, but I probably thought I couldn't sell it, it was so old and beat up.

I currently have 3 working crock pots. Two in the basement, one on the kitchen floor for quick access. Not getting rid of any of them. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5009 on: April 12, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »
Lucky break in my decluttering saga. I saw a microwave for sale at a flea market. Thought about offering $5 for it. I have been meaning to buy one cheap, for a long time, simply to use it to reheat cold coffee, since I thought it must use less electricity than the electric stovetop I currently use. I somehow decided not to even offer anything for the microwave, since I just didn't want another thing in my kitchen, and just live with the extra electricity cost, and wear and tear on the burner and dial switch of the stovetop.  Lo and behold, I googled it, and it turns out that the average microwave uses 25% more electricity to heat up a cup of water than a stovetop burner. For the win! Of course I still have the wear and tear on the dial, turning it on and off every day forever, but it seems to be lasting forever anyway, lol.       

Maybe look for one of those Contigo non-spill mugs.  They keep hot liquids hot forever.  No need to reheat at all.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5010 on: April 12, 2021, 05:35:49 PM »
I had a toaster oven taking up space on my kitchen counter, too, PMG.  I think I must have donated it, since I never used it. I should have tried to sell it at the flea market, but I probably thought I couldn't sell it, it was so old and beat up.

I currently have 3 working crock pots. Two in the basement, one on the kitchen floor for quick access. Not getting rid of any of them.

Why are you hanging on to 2 extra crockpots? I see them semi-regularly at thrift stores, so I don't think they're all that rare.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5011 on: April 12, 2021, 06:38:18 PM »
^^ Agreed, I have two crockpots but I use them both regularly as they are different sizes - a small one that I use for beans, and a large one that fits a whole chicken.  If they are in the basement, not being regularly used, why keep them?  Replacements are easy to come by at thrift stores if your main one breaks.

Today I realized we'll want to stop adding new material to our compost tumbler, so that it can be emptied and cleaned before we move.  I'll be giving/lending the tumbler to my mom, so I want it to be clean enough to put in her car.  That means we won't need the stock of cardboard and 'clean' paper that I use to balance the compost.  The cardboard stash is moved to recycling.  I also realized we had far too many plastic grocery bags saved, so I took half and put them by the door to go to recycling next time we are going somewhere that takes them.

Over the weekend I pulled everything out of my closet and tried it all on.  Quite a few dresses and tops into the donate box, as well as my interview suit that doesn't quite fit right anymore.

The more I can clear out now, the less I'll have to pack!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5012 on: April 12, 2021, 08:41:17 PM »
Last night I gave my friend the food processor we don't use and which she will.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #5013 on: April 12, 2021, 10:27:17 PM »

It's your choice. I have a feeling you'll find something else that you can move out instead.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5014 on: April 13, 2021, 07:24:29 AM »
In that vein.  I’m thinking about getting rid of our toaster oven.  I can’t believe I said that! 

I loooove my toaster oven!  I'm so happy there's enough counter space at the apartment that I didn't have to think twice about bringing it.  I often use it to roast vegetables.

I took 3 more boxes to Goodwill yesterday.  Lots of kitchen items that got pared down, as well as some clothing.  Finally have a workable closet solution, I think.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5015 on: April 14, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
Lately, out went the following, which cleared up 2+ sq ft of living space, ha-ha:
~The tabletop popcorn maker I'd bought used a few years ago.
~An old, OLD comforter that must have gotten wet at some point, because it smelled NASTY, even after a toss in the dryer.  When DH asked me where it came from, I concluded my mom gave it to me over 35 years ago.

I downloaded the Decluttr ap and have begun the process of pulling old CDs to sell.  Will try other medias as well.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5016 on: April 14, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »
Sold a few outgrown things (kids shirt, dress, & running jacket). Also sold an insulated wine bag.

I also listed some travel gift cards that were bought for a cancelled international trip, and are unlikely to be used for a long while in the post-COVID world. I'll lose a bit of money in the short term, but won't have to hold on to the gift cards in the long term, freeing up that travel budget for more imminent travel.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5017 on: April 14, 2021, 04:22:16 PM »
I walked BY a Goodwill store while getting my lunch while I'm in a class this week for work.  I did NOT go IN and buy more stuff, but I can easily swing by and unload a bag or 2 of Stuff. 

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #5018 on: April 15, 2021, 05:28:50 AM »
I donated a small bag of books (~10) that I am unlikely to read again. I hate letting go of my books but am getting better at it. I've decided to only keep books that I know I will read again. I have a friend who works at a bookstore (her retirement gig) - she brings home a couple books a week from the damaged pile - this has turned into my exclusive library. Most of the books I have at home now ones I borrowed and are in my to read stack(s)

Sold a bookcase, but replaced it with a small sideboard that is now my bookcase / music / stereo stand.

We almost have another full bag of clothes to donate.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #5019 on: April 15, 2021, 07:47:21 PM »
Why is it the little things that trip me up? I have 2 DVDs sitting here, of which one was a favourite of mine and my kids when they were younger (Calamity Jane), and the other I bought 2nd hand after seeing the movie at the cinema (Bright Starr). Neither of which I have watched in years. Just checked online, and my local library has both, so will donate them.

I have been trying to unpick why it has been so hard to get rid of them. I think  I don't want to let go of the great feelings and memories  Calamity Jane gave me (fun times with the kids singing along to Doris Day, remembering how much they needed me). However, Bright Star reminded me of the awful time when my Dad was ailing and my sister and I were planning on getting him into a nursing home. We got the phone call about that while sitting in the cinema! So why do I want to keep that reminder?

wow, that was an emotional roller-coaster. Feel so much better now!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5020 on: April 16, 2021, 11:12:22 PM »
Wow, @Sun Hat what a great clear-out. Way to go!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5021 on: April 17, 2021, 07:26:49 AM »
My husband & I use an espresso machine for coffee, but my parents prefer plain brewed coffee. So, we've had a second coffee maker (Keurig) for their visits. The Keurig itself was a gift, which was how we started with it, but the environmental impact & cost has driven me crazy. We are selling our vacation house, so I'll plan to bring our standard coffee maker from there to here.

My parents left yesterday, and before I put the Keurig away, listed it + the leftover six pods on my Buy Nothing group & had a ton of interest. Hoping to have it out of the house today.

Also, we went to Sonoma last weekend, and bought a few bottles of wine here & there. I wasn't sure what to do with the two wine bags we received (they are marked with the wineries). I didn't want them to go to the garbage, so on a whim, posted them on eBay. One already has a watcher! Fingers crossed.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5022 on: April 17, 2021, 07:46:17 AM »
MountainGal, way to go with the CD's!  Does Declutter take vinyl records or cassette tapes also? Just curious. 

In other news, I finally used up the last of the money on my Panera gift card, on a toasted everything bagel with butter. Threw out the card. One less card fattening up my already card-stuffed wallet, lol.   

edit to add:  I just googled it and I see that decluttr does not accept vinyl, VHS, or cassette tapes.   :( 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:49:28 AM by slackmax »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5023 on: April 17, 2021, 07:50:15 AM »
MountainGal, way to go with the CD's!  Does Declutter take vinyl records or cassette tapes also? Just curious. 

In other news, I finally used up the last of the money on my Panera gift card, on a toasted everything bagel with butter. Threw out the card. One less card fattening up my already card-stuffed wallet, lol.   

edit to add:  I just googled it and I see that decluttr does not accept vinyl, VHS, or cassette tapes.   Rats! 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5024 on: April 17, 2021, 09:01:58 PM »
Figured I'd do a mass report on my parents' decluttering efforts, since they're close to done/we know what is happening with the rest. Be impressed. This is in rough chronological order, it all started the week of 3/22.

The couch was thrown out.
Queen size mattress was thrown out.
Everything they put on the truck took up 13ft. This was less than half of the total amount of stuff in the house, maybe as little as 25%
I took a carload of stuff to my house that they're keeping but can't go on the truck for some reason.
3 boxes plus 4 bags of stuff came to my house for hazardous waste (my dropoff is next weekend, thank goodness)

Next up, parents did a massive garage sale, with the intent of clearing everything out. They sold about 60% of that stuff. What didn't sell was boxed up and put in the garage, along with a few pieces of furniture. The garage is a standard 2 car garage, and is about 1/3 full with this stuff. (Extrapolate to figure out how much was sold)

Multiple items of furniture that didn't sell in the garage sale were posted to FB marketplace - a bedroom set, very large wood desk, several tables, chairs, mirror, 2 full tall filing cabinets, fireplace screen, and 3 or 4 other things I forget. All but 2 things have sold at this point.
Metal table, old metal kitchen cabinet (2x), misc lumber, and cinderblocks put out for scrappers/trashpicking/trash pickup.
More stuff from the house/basement is being moved to the garage, including 3 area rugs.

The stuff in the garage is being picked up next week by a company that does liquidation. Combo sale/recycling/trash as I understand it.

Whew. There will be some more stuff to be disposed of once they can close, the liquidators company might be back for all that, but right now they're actually using it.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5025 on: April 18, 2021, 01:48:40 PM »
Congratulations Sibley!  That must be a huge relief.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5026 on: April 18, 2021, 05:08:19 PM »
Great job, Sibley! Clean-outs/moves of household-level size are always stressful.  Good on you for doing what you could to both maximize financial return and minimizing what's going to landfill from the category of items not being kept.

Much more modestly, yesterday I gave some candy I'd received as a gift but didn't like to a neighbor who did. Yay!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5027 on: April 18, 2021, 06:01:57 PM »
Oh, it's not all me! My parents did most of the setup for the garage sale, with my sister helping out some. My sister is handling the FB sales. But yeah, whew. It's a lot. Just waiting to see when closing happens, that will be a combo between me and my sister. Overall, my sister has taken the brunt of the planning and research for the whole process, while I've taken the physical piece of stuff to Indiana, and she went to MI to help with clearing the rest. The thought process being that once parents are in Indiana, I'm going to be taking the brunt of everything going forward, as my sister will be limited what she can do from the east coast.

But OMG. Please, get rid of your crap. Or don't accumulate it to start with. And no, your kids don't want it.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5028 on: April 18, 2021, 10:15:05 PM »

But OMG. Please, get rid of your crap. Or don't accumulate it to start with. And no, your kids don't want it.

It drives me crazy when my parents buy something  and don’t get rid of the duplicate. Mostly it is not good to have or you would not have bought a new one.

In some ways this thread is pretty depressing view of the society, where people have accumulated so much crap for a lot of money, that they now spend a lot time to get rid of. From an environmental point it is even more depressing when people have x that they never use or several icecreammakers, crockpots or coffee makers with no use.

On the other hand, it is encouraging to read about the ones that manage to make a change, stop the flow of crap, get rid of the good to haves and enjoy their homes with less of clutter.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #5029 on: April 18, 2021, 11:39:05 PM »
@Sibley, fabulous job. Having been there with clearing out my parents' house I understand the sheer magnitude of the task.

I have just sorted a big decluttering dilemma and feel very pleased with myself. Around 10 years ago my sister bought me a beautiful designer wool coat. I mean, stunning. Very fitted, ankle length grey wool with red trim, vaguely Russian-looking. Grown women have literally followed me down the street to ask where I bought it/told me how beautiful it is. I am so not someone who enjoys that sort of attention so stopped wearing it. I didn't want to just donate it, as I live in a small town and didn't fancy seeing someone local walking around in it, and I lack the patience/energy to sell it online, so after much dithering I offered it back to my sister and she was delighted to take it. It will look fabulous on her, and suit her lifestyle (city girl, working in a very professional office) and we are the same size.

So that is the last of the decluttering for now. I will cheer you all from the sidelines!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5030 on: April 19, 2021, 02:11:38 AM »
@lazycow that coat sounds delicious and yet I also know how these things work because I have owned and then given away clothes that are splendid but also Not My Style. I'd rather let someone who will wear and truly enjoy them have a chance instead of hoarding them to myself.

This weekend has been council clean-up. Not very much for us to put out and the pickers have already come by and taken what we *did* put out. As always, while walking around looking at things there is the sense of sadness that so many of the things put out are so soddily made and fall apart in a day of rain so they can't even be reused by others. It seems so disrespectful to the resources used to make these that they are such poor material objects.

keepingfocus

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5031 on: April 19, 2021, 07:49:10 AM »
This thread is right up my street :) Hi everyone!

We are on a seemingly constant quest to downsize possessions and reduce clutter. It's a long slow process (packrat husband who gets very stressed out by environmental changes) but there have been some relatively large wins so far this year. Recently we dismantled some pretty full floor to ceiling cupboards in our spare room and managed to dispose of the materials and around 80% of the contents.

I have been using a combination of ebay, Facebook marketplace and local freegle/recycling groups in an attempt to keep as much out of landfill as possible.

Last month we dismantled an old leather sofa and have repurpose the cushions, the leather and quite a bit of the wood for other projects, and we're working on paring down the electronics that we use (I just decommissioned my 2008 Mac and it's not being replaced).

Current focus is on the attic, which has in the past been a graveyard of forgotten things and boxes for seemingly everything we've ever owned. The box supply has been dramatically reduced, and every weekend we are bringing down more items to sell or give away (an old upright vacuum cleaner that just about still worked found a new owner today). It's very motivating to read about other people's progress!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5032 on: April 19, 2021, 07:57:50 AM »

It drives me crazy when my parents buy something  and don’t get rid of the duplicate. Mostly it is not good to have or you would not have bought a new one.

In some ways this thread is pretty depressing view of the society, where people have accumulated so much crap for a lot of money, that they now spend a lot time to get rid of. From an environmental point it is even more depressing when people have x that they never use or several icecreammakers, crockpots or coffee makers with no use.

On the other hand, it is encouraging to read about the ones that manage to make a change, stop the flow of crap, get rid of the good to haves and enjoy their homes with less of clutter.

@Plina - I think the thread can be viewed in a few different ways. For me, we have kids who are growing & outgrowing things, and things we don't need at various phases of life. This thread is such a helpful way to figure out how to pass things on to other people (or, find the most environmentally friendly way to handle something), vs stuffing it in a landfill. My local Buy Nothing group is awesome & gives me a lot of inspiration. What I don't need, someone else might be looking for & can avoid purchasing, and vice versa. I suppose a complete purist would have little to nothing in their house to get rid of, but I think of it like the Non Consumer Advocate (one of my favorite bloggers), who instead views donation or online selling as a way to match up a buyer with a seller (or, a donation to someone who is looking for exactly that item) & thus reducing waste. That perspective always motivates me.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5033 on: April 19, 2021, 08:06:31 AM »

Last month we dismantled an old leather sofa and have repurpose the cushions, the leather and quite a bit of the wood for other projects, and we're working on paring down the electronics that we use (I just decommissioned my 2008 Mac and it's not being replaced).

I've never heard of anyone taking their sofa apart and re-using the parts - that's impressive!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5034 on: April 19, 2021, 09:23:45 AM »
Yes, I have canabalized a Keurig coffee maker, grates, broiler pan, knobs off of a stove, electronic panel on a dryer and sold them as parts on ebay. People are looking for replacement parts for everything and original parts are expensive to replace if you buy them new.

keepingfocus

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5035 on: April 19, 2021, 10:47:28 AM »
I've never heard of anyone taking their sofa apart and re-using the parts - that's impressive!
There was enough good quality leather to cover a headboard for a double bed and make a slip cover for an IKEA chair and two tote bags. I couldn't let all that go to waste! The usable cushions will be covered in waterproof canvas to make bench seats and small seating pads for outdoor dining chairs.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5036 on: April 24, 2021, 01:29:25 PM »
I made big progress from a numbers perspective this week:

-Sold/packaged 140 DVDs & CDs (mostly CDs) via Decluttr. Mailed & on their way. I've been paid out once, so I feel reasonably confident in the service. Also, I'm thrilled to get them out of my house, regardless. The money is just gravy.
-Found someone on my local Buy Nothing who will take the remaining CDs that Decluttr wouldn't take. Maybe 40-50 more.
-Started a new Decluttr list (apparently it caps out at 140?). I have a few DVDs & books added, but my order value isn't enough right now.
-Gave away two bottles of jewelry cleaner, an adult coloring book, a pair of new fuzzy socks & five shirts on Buy Nothing. I was able to fulfill an ask of someone who needed base layer shirts. I had them listed on eBay for practically nothing, so was happy to give them away to someone in my neighborhood who needs them instead.

Found 3 new VHS writable tapes (?). In sealed packages. Apparently, they sell on eBay. Listed, and hope to get them sold & out of the house soon.

Garage progress, for the win!

I've also had some eBay sales lately:
-A few Birchbox (gifted to me) product samples
-A pair of new jeans
-A tourist shirt (gift)
-A candle making kit
-Another set of 15 Birchbox samples
-A reusable ziplock item

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5037 on: April 24, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »
The parent's garage is empty!!!

Left to get rid of:
-2 living room chairs
-2 area rugs
-2 twin mattresses + springs
-possibly a headboard
-possibly a box spring (the last 2 left from former tenant)

And hopefully, the same people who came and picked up today can come next week and get more, leaving only the mattresses to go to the trash.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5038 on: April 24, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »
That's a big milestone @Sibley ! Well done.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #5039 on: April 25, 2021, 09:02:44 AM »
I had a positive and negative time yesterday.

Positive- found out that the relatively local Army surplus will take old fatigues as donations. I didn't want to just throw them in my salvation army/goodwill bag. I was going to be in their neighborhood,  so I packed it in the car. Quick, pleasant,  easy drop off.

Negative- Went to the Salvation Army location near the surplus store, and there was a car line around the building with people waiting to drop off items. The attendant weren't accepting any walkups, and it was just too long of an ordeal for our day. So, 2 bags of donations remain in the car.

I will just end up taking them to the regular drop off location instead. At least they are out of the garage now!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5040 on: April 25, 2021, 09:51:31 AM »
Tiny victory: from moving recently, BF had packed up some posters in a paper sack along with some heavy things. As the sack was moved around, the posters were being damaged, so we found a new home for some smaller posters and the heavy things, and the larger posters went into a temporary place with some other temporary things.

The sack was recycled!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5041 on: April 25, 2021, 06:06:43 PM »
I have cleared some stuff out of my house!

--car load of stuff (mostly from parent's house originally but been in my garage for 2 months) to hazardous waste drop off.
--space heater (borrowed to melt frozen pipes) returned to my friend, plus the beer I got him that he likes but can't get here and I'm a nice person.
--2 cat beds that were rejected and I'm tired of storing them to the animal shelter
--flat sheet to the animal shelter
--returned a lock that I borrowed (related to parent's move) to another friend
--package of carrots that I just am not going to eat right now given to a neighbor
--Ate up a few partial packages of things from the pantry. A few things from the freezer also used up.
--old phone box mailed back to the company since they apparently want the 5 year old box back.

Didn't leave house but got organized better:
--my paint stash. I should probably make sure I have the paint chips and then get rid of the partial cans I don't need.
--a bunch of stuff from the downstairs bedroom closet redistributed in the house, as that will be mom's room soon.
--cleaned up and organized the upstairs bedroom closet, as that will be dad's room soon.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5042 on: April 29, 2021, 03:19:53 PM »
Since I was already going over to the Salvation Army to partake of a lecture on story writing,  I took over a bag of 3 sweaters and an unidentified denim pullover contraption, and donated them.   

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5043 on: April 29, 2021, 06:19:19 PM »
A friend mailed a box of books. I want to read them all, so I promptly filled the same box with books I was done with and sent it to her the next day.
Nice! That sounds like a delightful parcel to get.
It's so nice to come home to an unexpected box full of lovely books! I've got another box to send off later this week.

Two books & two magazines to the little library and public library book returned.

Half a box of Imperfect Food veggies & a t-shirt to a friend who wanted them. Cancelled Imperfect Foods because I just don't have the bandwidth to come up with new recipes and cook a lot before it goes bad.

A box full of clothes to ThredUp. I haven't had much luck with them before, but some store credit wouldn't go amiss and a box of rejects are out of my closet.

Tossed a mask frame that was scratchy and awkward to wear.

I keep writing letters and getting stationery out. The shoe box o'cards is only 2/3 full now.

I've been pantry cooking and clearing out the freezer ruthlessly. There's a cheeseburger pie on the menu tonight that will use up quiet a few bit and bobs from the fridge. I'm seeing how long I can go without buying groceries.

Finished income taxes. The paperwork is filed and off my desk! Inspired me to clean up the rest of the papers on the desk.

Broke down cardboard boxes from an online order and got them all in the recycling bin before pickup day. I haven't needed to put the trash bin out in weeks but the recycling bin goes out every time.

Sending my mom a boxed set of movies for Mother's Day. I bought them second-hand month ago and sent her a picture to crow about them. She told me she would love to have them for Mother's Day, and so she shall! We got our enjoyment out of them and off they go to be enjoyed by my parents. Wrapped in reused packaging and with a handmade card from the never-ending stationary box. :) It's a great feeling knowing she's specifically requested this gift, it was inexpensive, and it was third-hand.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5044 on: April 29, 2021, 06:35:50 PM »
Mailed a few books as a donation to the Internet Archive/Open Library - these were books that I bought because I couldn't find them in any of my library systems, including Open Library, so now that I am done with them, hopefully they will be available for others.

Used some cards from my stationary stash to write Mother's Day cards for my mom and one for DH to fill out for his mom.  We also recently sent a sympathy card for a family member who is seriously ill.  I want to get in the habit of writing cards for people more often, without needing a specific reason.  Using up my stash of stationary and cards is as good an excuse as any, and hopefully we can avoid buying birthday cards by writing our own in blank cards.

Sorted and pared down my jewelry making supplies.  Consolidated the stuff I'm keeping into one plastic organizer, and moved three more organizers to the donation box.

Tried on my last few dresses and decided to donate two - into the box.  Also changed over to my summer wardrobe and donated a few pairs of shorts that I don't think I'll use anymore.  I've got my clothes down to the point where I think they will all fit in 3 drawers of my 4 drawer dresser (plus hanging things in the closet), with the bottom drawer reserved for linens or towels.  Or maybe shoes, to keep the closet tidier.

I'm encouraging DH to do some physical decluttering as well.  He's been meaning to, but always gravitates to digital declutter first.  That's great too, but less time sensitive with regard to moving house soon - digital clutter is very easy to transport!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5045 on: April 29, 2021, 06:38:20 PM »
@okisok you've had a great run!

I went through a garage shelf that didn't really need to be gone through but gave away a dog thing to a neighbour with a new puppy, plus some other stuff from the house. Also listed our old kitchen bin as we are cupboard bin people now but I don't think anyone will want it.

Today I'm on a mission to just do a few half done projects so I can clear surfaces. 

@Raenia You've reminded me that I really need to deal with digital clutter.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5046 on: May 02, 2021, 02:18:35 PM »
I gave myself the month of April off of de-cluttering as it is the busy season at work, so today I took a bunch of pictures of things I have been meaning to try to sell, and listed about half on FB Marketplace. Will get the rest up soon. I find if I have too many listings up at once I get overwhelmed and confused with all of the dealings. It feels good to get things moving out the door again.

Also put a couple of books in the donation box. One was a duplicate - oops!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5047 on: May 03, 2021, 05:58:18 AM »
Sold a lot of small items, and a few big ones at the flea market yesterday. Notable was one foot tall box of 'card stock' paper, 8 x 11.5 inches.  Only got $2 for it, but better than nothing, lol. And out of the house.  More to follow.

Also, decided I will allow myself to donate a bulky cloth wall decoration that didn't sell. 

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5048 on: May 03, 2021, 07:25:20 AM »
Started packing up the kitchen for the move.  A few mismatched glasses went into the donate box, plus a lovely Chinese style tea set that I've had and loved for many years, but never actually use now that I have a larger teapot.  Also watched a movie that was given to us, that we wanted to see but don't need to keep.

DH finally went through his clothes, and a bunch of items wound up in the box.  Huzzah!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5049 on: May 03, 2021, 07:47:04 AM »
Spent the weekend at our vacation house to get it ready for selling. We most likely will see "turn key", as it's a vacation/2nd home community. But, still plenty of decluttering to do:
-Sent 6 games & puzzles to a friend who wanted them for their younger children
-Donated 25+ games & puzzles
-Took three bags of clothing to the donation center (normally I'd give everything away on Buy Nothing, but time is of the essence & it's a very small community)
-Gave my sister a variety of things to donate or sell, which she will take back to her larger community to handle
-Also gave my sister six beach towels, which she was about to buy, as they have a new hot tub.
-I was able to give away all of our fire wood through the local Buy Nothing group, plus the wood rack & cover

I brought home & need to go through:
-All of the DVDs. This will help finish off an order I have, and will get 20+ DVDs out of my house
-Some clothing I want to keep. I'll look at those items compared to what I have here, and see if I need to donate any surplus
-A few books. Ditto the DVD comment

I could only take back what I could carry in my suit case, so I still have some things to deal with. I'll be there an additional time in May, and then we are planning to move a few larger items in July, when we are expecting the house to close.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!