Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249451 times)

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3800 on: July 11, 2020, 11:18:07 AM »

Now to figure out where to donate my old eyeglasses. The charity I usually mail them to isn't accepting donations right now, and the public libraries where there are Lions Club donation boxes are closed. Any ideas?

Here some stores that sells eyeglasses also accept donations.

Yes, same here.  Any optical store should take them.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3801 on: July 11, 2020, 03:14:34 PM »
4 DVDs out to the street library and while walking last night I found several more that had spaces for books in them. I have been making a pile of manga that I am ready to let go of and I accept that I am very unlikely to try sell them so maybe I just put them all out for donation?

Also, collecting up random things from cupboards for discarding - a metal jug, two fancy glass oil/vinegar bottles, a preserving jar with a latch I hate. So close to getting rid of all the wine glasses buuuuut once a year I host book club. We are getting into the various book shelves and drawers at this point, since most of the obvious surface stuff is done. Less visually satisfying until you open a drawer and it's not a mess and you can put things away in it.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3802 on: July 11, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »
Next step, I am gathering up all the scissors in the house and putting them on the kitchen table to choose which ones to keep. Everywhere I look - more! scissors!

UPDATE: SIX PAIRS OF BAD NO GOOD SCISSORS, BEGONE!

I had to laugh at this. We have the opposite problem.  I can never find scissors when I need them even though I feel like a buy a few new ones every year.  Our home is not very cluttered either. They just seem to sprout legs and walk away on their own.  Totally agree though to not keep bad ones around. That's frustrating unless you have the ability to sharpen them.
So how do you sharpen scissors? Our kitchen scissors are pathetic and can barely cut a plastic bag now.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3803 on: July 11, 2020, 04:30:06 PM »
I have also unsubscribed from most of the newletters or offers. For those that I chose to keep I made a special folder and made a rule that sends the email directly into the folder. So when I am going to book airline tickets I look into the folder and see if there is an offer that I can use. Actually, I have folders and rules to all my common emails or order confirmations so they end up in the right place immediately.

Excellent idea, I might do this.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3804 on: July 11, 2020, 08:28:48 PM »
Next step, I am gathering up all the scissors in the house and putting them on the kitchen table to choose which ones to keep. Everywhere I look - more! scissors!

UPDATE: SIX PAIRS OF BAD NO GOOD SCISSORS, BEGONE!

I had to laugh at this. We have the opposite problem.  I can never find scissors when I need them even though I feel like a buy a few new ones every year.  Our home is not very cluttered either. They just seem to sprout legs and walk away on their own.  Totally agree though to not keep bad ones around. That's frustrating unless you have the ability to sharpen them.
So how do you sharpen scissors? Our kitchen scissors are pathetic and can barely cut a plastic bag now.

If they're good quality scissors that you want a proper job done on, take them to a knife sharpener.  Otherwise, anything like a sharpening stone or a Wilkinson knife sheath can be used at home.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3805 on: July 11, 2020, 08:48:53 PM »
If they are outgrown children's safety scissors with poorly designed flimsy handles, you just throw them out...
I'll save sharpening for my sewing scissors.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #3806 on: July 12, 2020, 05:55:29 AM »
We sold a hitch mounted bike rack that we replaced about 3/4 years ago but hadn't found a buyer yet. Admittedly, we only tried a few times to sell it, but this time it worked. The guy who bought it was so thrilled about the quality of it (really heavy metal base).  He got a great deal at $75. It was a great rack, but the one we bought to replace it is easier to use to get bikes in and out of.  It was such a huge thing in our garage. I'm particularly excited to get rid of the old one and place it in a good new home.

In other recent wins:
- Reduced about 10 folders we had for various accounts into one and shredded all the unnecessary paperwork in those files
- Sorted through our 'important papers'/fire retardant pouch and got rid of about 1/3 of the papers. Not sure whey some of it was saved or deemed 'important'
- Used scrap wood in our garage to make a bird house for the garden (reducing said 'scrap' pile a little)
- Earlier this summer we used other scraps to make a new raised garden bed instead of buying new boards

I'm challenging myself to use up all the little travel size/samples that I have in my toiletry stash.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3807 on: July 12, 2020, 07:48:05 AM »

Now to figure out where to donate my old eyeglasses. The charity I usually mail them to isn't accepting donations right now, and the public libraries where there are Lions Club donation boxes are closed. Any ideas?

I'll check with my optometrist when i have an appointment next week!

As to scissor sharpeners, I have a handheld version of this guy that I bought at a craft store. I've had it for over a decade.
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Universal-Scissors-Sharpener-198620/dp/B00UY11D0Q/ref=sr_1_7?crid=7DVC0QNCVA6N&dchild=1&keywords=scissor+sharpener&qid=1594561605&sprefix=scissor+sharp%2Caps%2C241&sr=8-7

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3808 on: July 12, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »

I'll check with my optometrist when i have an appointment next week!

As to scissor sharpeners, I have a handheld version of this guy that I bought at a craft store. I've had it for over a decade.
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Universal-Scissors-Sharpener-198620/dp/B00UY11D0Q/ref=sr_1_7?crid=7DVC0QNCVA6N&dchild=1&keywords=scissor+sharpener&qid=1594561605&sprefix=scissor+sharp%2Caps%2C241&sr=8-7
Thanks for the recommendation

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3809 on: July 12, 2020, 11:49:04 AM »
We had to pack our kitchen (remodel), & it reminded me that we have a bunch of stuff that we don't regularly use. I'd decluttered most of the house during the quarantine, but some items were pushed to the back of the cupboards. Rather than toss them in boxes, I made piles: garbage, donate, sell. I've listed most of the sell items.

Today I need to go through a few items that were in our sheds (also being torn down/rebuilt) & see if they can be salvaged. One item was destroyed when I tried to clean it, so that was a major fail.

We're living in part of our house with a bunch of remodeling work happening around us. We're all masked up, and the room being re-done is completely closed to all of us. The rest of the work is happening outside. Lots of time for us to figure out what we should be decluttering! It's not a move, but it's enough of packing & shuffling to raise the same questions.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3810 on: July 12, 2020, 12:11:51 PM »
I have about 10 things listed for free on Nextdoor and my local Buy Nothing Group.  This morning someone came to pick up a magazine.  I'm off this week and decluttering/reorganizing/re-decorating is at the top of my agenda.  I'm starting with things I inherited or was gifted.  I think at this moment if I were to Kondo the joint, it'd just be me and my cats in my recliner in an empty condo. 

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3811 on: July 12, 2020, 03:02:23 PM »
The kids cleaned out their art-drawers today..... lots of junk came out of that and I’m proud that they could do this quite easily.
Found a play tent and put it up on FB marketplace and put some art-stuff from the kids on the Buy Nothing group.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3812 on: July 12, 2020, 03:52:18 PM »
I have about 10 things listed for free on Nextdoor and my local Buy Nothing Group.  This morning someone came to pick up a magazine.  I'm off this week and decluttering/reorganizing/re-decorating is at the top of my agenda.  I'm starting with things I inherited or was gifted.  I think at this moment if I were to Kondo the joint, it'd just be me and my cats in my recliner in an empty condo.
I like how you used Kondo and condo in the same sentence :)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3813 on: July 12, 2020, 03:53:14 PM »
We had to pack our kitchen (remodel), & it reminded me that we have a bunch of stuff that we don't regularly use. I'd decluttered most of the house during the quarantine, but some items were pushed to the back of the cupboards. Rather than toss them in boxes, I made piles: garbage, donate, sell. I've listed most of the sell items.

Today I need to go through a few items that were in our sheds (also being torn down/rebuilt) & see if they can be salvaged. One item was destroyed when I tried to clean it, so that was a major fail.

We're living in part of our house with a bunch of remodeling work happening around us. We're all masked up, and the room being re-done is completely closed to all of us. The rest of the work is happening outside. Lots of time for us to figure out what we should be decluttering! It's not a move, but it's enough of packing & shuffling to raise the same questions.
Good luck with the remodel! That is a big deal. I still have vivid memories of my parents remodeling the kitchen when I was in HS. What will you do for meals in the interim?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3814 on: July 12, 2020, 07:56:44 PM »
Small thing, but I remembered that my Talavera flying pig is really a piggy bank, so I put all the change from our change jar in it, and did away with the jar.  We haven't been collecting or using much change the last few years, and it's really ground to a halt since Covid.  I should probably just cash in the change, but that would require going somewhere.  I also repurposed a garlic keeper for holding rubber bands since I wasn't using it for garlic and just kept stashing it in different places around the kitchen.

I also put the broiler pan that came with my toaster oven into the donate box.  Haven't used it in over a year, doubt I ever will.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3815 on: July 12, 2020, 09:14:34 PM »

Good luck with the remodel! That is a big deal. I still have vivid memories of my parents remodeling the kitchen when I was in HS. What will you do for meals in the interim?

It's quite an adventure. So far, we've made do with the microwave, pannini maker, & a toaster oven. We bought the toaster oven, but had the other items. My husband convinced the contractor to help set up the stove top in another area of the house, while everything is torn apart. There have been dishes washed in the tub, and a lot of creativity. It was fine over the weekend. I have a crazy work week next week, and a full remodel, plus the kids at home with no camp. Should be the true test of our limits.

In decluttering news, sold our old cooler that was taking up space. Happy to give it a new home. Also have a pile of clothes ready to go to our neighbor, who donates at the homeless shelter. She gave us some outgrown swimsuits, one of which has already been called into service when our 14 year old discovered his swim trunks were too small. Love it when things come together.

I also have someone (supposedly) coming by to pick up file folders I've had listed for a month on Nextdoor. Fingers crossed, because I'd love to get them out of my closet.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3816 on: July 12, 2020, 09:24:01 PM »
Small thing, but I remembered that my Talavera flying pig is really a piggy bank, so I put all the change from our change jar in it, and did away with the jar.  We haven't been collecting or using much change the last few years, and it's really ground to a halt since Covid.  I should probably just cash in the change, but that would require going somewhere.  I also repurposed a garlic keeper for holding rubber bands since I wasn't using it for garlic and just kept stashing it in different places around the kitchen.

I also put the broiler pan that came with my toaster oven into the donate box.  Haven't used it in over a year, doubt I ever will.

You might want to keep the broiler pan.  If you ever decide to give away or sell the oven, most people would want it.  It’s not something one can buy on its own.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3817 on: July 12, 2020, 10:07:10 PM »

You might want to keep the broiler pan.  If you ever decide to give away or sell the oven, most people would want it.  It’s not something one can buy on its own.

Nah, they can look at a thirft shop to find one that fits OK! 😃

If it had a high resale value, I'd agree with you.

Posting for accountability: Room Mate and I share a hobby.  Today we jointly decluttered our hobby accessories. Not a lot volume wise, but nice to clear out unused bits. I also got to reorganize my hobby cupboard; it is pleasing and more functional.

I have volunteered to advertise the items to the hobby group and handle the distribution.  Tomorrow!

Also tomorrow: finish seasoning the cast iron so it can be put away rather than cluttering up the countertop.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3818 on: July 12, 2020, 10:10:22 PM »
On a whim i posted on our neighborhood FB group about my growing collection of single-use grocery bags. I suppose I used to just toss them? I can’t even remember; it feels like I have been doing being-your-own-bags now for so long.

In any case it spurred a conversation and a few people are collecting them to give to food banks that are now using a bunch for home deliveries. That feels good.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3819 on: July 13, 2020, 05:34:29 AM »
Oh man, I collect plastic bags too.  I've seen people make plarn (plastic yarn) and then knit or crochet with them. Goodness knows I can't take on a project right now though.

My clean surfaces started falling apart over the weekend. I still have shorts to return and I still need to finish the taxes.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3820 on: July 13, 2020, 07:51:14 AM »
I use plastic grocery bags to clean the litterboxes.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3821 on: July 13, 2020, 08:36:00 AM »
On a whim i posted on our neighborhood FB group about my growing collection of single-use grocery bags. I suppose I used to just toss them? I can’t even remember; it feels like I have been doing being-your-own-bags now for so long.

In any case it spurred a conversation and a few people are collecting them to give to food banks that are now using a bunch for home deliveries. That feels good.

Here we got a tax on single use plastic grocery bags so that you now have to pay about 60 cents per bag, prEvioulsy it was about half of that. I read that the sales of plastic bags had dropped with 50 % in two months.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3822 on: July 13, 2020, 08:54:06 AM »

Here we got a tax on single use plastic grocery bags so that you now have to pay about 60 cents per bag, prEvioulsy it was about half of that. I read that the sales of plastic bags had dropped with 50 % in two months.

Most places will no longer allow you to use reusable bags due to covid-19 concerns.
I think use had dropped off quite a bit.

What's also interesting, is due to the decrease in oil cost, and some pull back of regulations requiring bags be made of post consumer waste, currently, most bags in the US are being made of completely new plastics.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3823 on: July 13, 2020, 09:02:30 AM »

In normal times plastic bags are banned and reusable bags can be purchased if you forgot to bring your own. Early in the covid crisis though most grocery stores banned you from bringing in your own bags, so the stores I shop at (mostly TJ’s) give you paper bags for free. I did one non-TJ’s run and got a bunch of plastic bags. It felt very retro.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3824 on: July 13, 2020, 09:13:59 AM »

Most places will no longer allow you to use reusable bags due to covid-19 concerns.
I think use had dropped off quite a bit.

What's also interesting, is due to the decrease in oil cost, and some pull back of regulations requiring bags be made of post consumer waste, currently, most bags in the US are being made of completely new plastics.

We implementerar the tax during the pandemic. Here one of the arguments towards the tax was that the bags were made of recycled plastic or biobased materials and that they don’t end up in the ocean but rather as garbagebags. They sell more paper bags but I have also seen more reusable bags.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3825 on: July 13, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »
I donated 3 bags of varying sizes and a box of household stuffs to my favorite charity thrift shop at 1201.  They closed at noon but kindly let me pass.  Their donation area was literally overflowing.  I hope they treat my antique items carefully and they wind up in good hands. 

Tonight I stand to make $ when I sell some extremely unmustachian exercise equipment I purchased in 2019.  Here’s hoping the other party shows up. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3826 on: July 13, 2020, 10:08:28 PM »
Posting for accountability: Room Mate and I share a hobby.  Today we jointly decluttered our hobby accessories. Not a lot volume wise, but nice to clear out unused bits. I also got to reorganize my hobby cupboard; it is pleasing and more functional.

I have volunteered to advertise the items to the hobby group and handle the distribution.  Tomorrow!

Also tomorrow: finish seasoning the cast iron so it can be put away rather than cluttering up the countertop.

Done! The items are listed and the pan is more or less seasoned.  Woo! 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3827 on: July 14, 2020, 05:48:48 AM »
The whole family is finding stuff they no longer want and sorting it into donate, recycle or trash. The completely full garbage bin was just collected by the City.    The number of items that is picked up curbside is great.  I am being ruthless about not collecting pots. People have been dropping them off because I used to need them but now I have such a huge collection I will never need another.  I got rid a any that were even a little damaged.

I am also using up watercolour paper that I had previously used one side of.  I am taking online courses and doing a lot of exercises.  No need to do the entire exercise on a single sheet if I have a bunch of small pieces.  And then I take a photo of the work, do a reflection/review in my notebook and then into the recycling.  I was wondering about composting them but I am not sure about the chemicals in the pigments.  I don't think there is cadmium in paint still but I don't want to take the chance.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3828 on: July 14, 2020, 09:08:38 AM »
Speaking of paper (paper shopping bags, and using the other side of watercolor paper) I still have tons of this paper called 'card stock', which is usual sized 8.5  x  11 inch paper, but is thicker than usual. It can be used to make greeting cards, by folding it in half. It comes in multiple colors.

I was actually able to sell about 10 pounds of this stuff, for 1 cent per sheet, on Craigslist 2 years ago, but no one wants it these days. 

I  made myself donate some of it to my church, and the lady reluctantly accepted it.

I'm greedily hanging onto about 30 pounds of it, waiting for the resurgence of Craigslist demand!       

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3829 on: July 14, 2020, 09:27:56 AM »
Speaking of paper (paper shopping bags, and using the other side of watercolor paper) I still have tons of this paper called 'card stock', which is usual sized 8.5  x  11 inch paper, but is thicker than usual. It can be used to make greeting cards, by folding it in half. It comes in multiple colors.

I was actually able to sell about 10 pounds of this stuff, for 1 cent per sheet, on Craigslist 2 years ago, but no one wants it these days. 

I  made myself donate some of it to my church, and the lady reluctantly accepted it.

I'm greedily hanging onto about 30 pounds of it, waiting for the resurgence of Craigslist demand!       

It sounds as though it might be useful for home schooling, for which there is probably going to be considerable demand. You may have other things that could be advertised as "home school supplies" too!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3830 on: July 14, 2020, 09:42:08 AM »
Re: grocery bags.  The stores are instructing staff not to handle bags.  If I have a small order, I just chuck it back in the cart and then put it in my bags after checkout.  For a larger order, if you have some totes that you can put in the bottom of your cart, you can just chuck your groceries straight into the totes as they ring things up.  Or shop at a bag your own type place. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3831 on: July 14, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »
@horsepoor, those are excellent ideas.  Thank you.

Finally made the Goodwill drop off time frame, so a small box and a bag of clothing were donated.

Rounding up another stack of egg cartons to mail off to an out-of-state chicken and duck egg laying friend.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3832 on: July 14, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »
Re: bags, we typically don't take one & load items in the cart. Wheel the cart out to our car, and unload from there. This wouldn't work if you were hauling groceries from your car over a distance, or had a large purchase. We shop at Costco (no bags) & then fill in with smaller orders at the local store.

For us, I've listed an item on eBay I'm hoping to save from the landfill. My husband's motorcycle jacket was damaged in our shed, but the armor inside the jacket is in great shape. I don't think it's recyclable, so hoping it serves a need to someone else. If not, I'll have to get more creative about disposing of it.

I also sold another eBay item (son's shirt he grew out of & wore 1x), & packaged it in a repurposed Amazon pkg.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3833 on: July 14, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »
Yesterday I did a big grocery trip, did not take bags in due to covid concern, but I ended up doing self check out so I probably could have. Doing self check out did allow me to skip plastic bags when a clerk might use them.  I used a couple for small items but just stacked the rest in the cart.  The key is that I had put the laundry basket in the car, so I just loaded up all the cold things in the laundry basket and we were able to haul them all inside quickly and come bag for the other loose items once the fragile stuff was put away.

As for getting rid of stuff.  We’ve got another bag of odds and ends started and I am still working my way through sewing supplies. We moved in to this house in February and we’re finally settled enough that things are starting to fit in place and we’re more able to identify what we will use and what we won’t. I got hangers that fit our closet and promptly took the old ones to goodwill, and now the closet doors shut!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3834 on: July 14, 2020, 04:12:16 PM »
Have some baby stuff to my sister.

Because my sister is having a baby!!!! :):)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3835 on: July 14, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »
Have some baby stuff to my sister.

Because my sister is having a baby!!!! :):)
WOO HOO! BEST REASON!

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3836 on: July 14, 2020, 07:12:48 PM »
Rather than taking items to Goodwill, I contacted a friend of mine who volunteers at the local homeless shelter. Not only do they feed their guests (so need plates and silverware and such), but when people are ready to be in a house/apartment, they put together "welcome kits" that include the things many of us have in abundance - dishes, glasses, mugs, even table linens. A car load went with her to go to the shelter. Goodwill is a fabulous place to rehome items; this felt even better.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3837 on: July 14, 2020, 07:22:19 PM »
Put a plastic patio table, some pieces of shelving, a small wooden shelving unit, and an old WorkMate workshop table at the end of the drive today.  All gone within an hour.   We're moving (finally!!!), and there won't be room or need for these where we're going.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3838 on: July 15, 2020, 12:05:16 AM »
I got so much stuff taken care of yesterday, because I really wanted to write this post:

-Two old pairs of glasses, two opened boxes of contacts, and a bag of empty contact lens blister packs (for recycling) to a local optometrist

-Dead batteries, old A/V cords, and empty computer ink cartridges to a battery store for recycling

-Took a pile of items to be mailed to the post office

-Dropped off a bag of packaging at Target for recycling

-Emptied three containers from the bathroom cabinet and put them in the recycling bin

-Two old credit cards shredded

So much stuff gone! All those niggling little items rolling around in the trunk and in my mental to do list are outta there :)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3839 on: July 15, 2020, 07:04:54 AM »
I have been getting so many plastic bags since covid. I get curbside grocery delivery, and honestly, sometimes they will put one small item in a bag. I use them for garbage, and I also supply them to my Dad for the same, but I probably have enough for the next year. And just when I was getting into a good routine with re-useable bags.

Started a new donation box and it is half full already.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3840 on: July 15, 2020, 07:53:14 AM »
I love FB neighborhood groups. In the last two weeks we've given away or recycled:
- a floor lamp we never use
- a children's wagon we haven't used in 3+ years (given to us, so we passed along for free)
- a variety of clothing I don't wear now and won't when I'm back in-office
- two knit blankets (cheapie Target purchases) from college that have giant holes in them

My sister is expecting her first, who will be about a year younger than our littlest one, so the timing is perfect for moving out a fairly steady stream of baby supplies. (Though I might have cried a little when I gave her our K'tan - no more babies to kangaroo carry!)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3841 on: July 15, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »
Re: bags, we typically don't take one & load items in the cart. Wheel the cart out to our car, and unload from there. This wouldn't work if you were hauling groceries from your car over a distance, or had a large purchase. We shop at Costco (no bags) & then fill in with smaller orders at the local store.

For us, I've listed an item on eBay I'm hoping to save from the landfill. My husband's motorcycle jacket was damaged in our shed, but the armor inside the jacket is in great shape. I don't think it's recyclable, so hoping it serves a need to someone else. If not, I'll have to get more creative about disposing of it.

I also sold another eBay item (son's shirt he grew out of & wore 1x), & packaged it in a repurposed Amazon pkg.

So happy to say that the motorcycle armor sold in a day! It's packaged & ready to go for tomorrow's post office pickup. Saved from the garbage, and in the hands of someone who will be able to use it!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3842 on: July 15, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »
Just saw a new HGTV show last night called Hot Mess House.  The host, Cas Aarssen, puts people into 1 of 4 "clutterbug" categories, then designs a system that works best with whatever category they fall into.  All done virtually, of course.  There's some amazing changes made.  It just might inspire me to do another round myself.  Off to take the quiz ........

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3843 on: July 15, 2020, 02:08:42 PM »
Using up stash yarn on gifts for others. It feels so nice to get the extra space back!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3844 on: July 16, 2020, 03:58:32 AM »
Not exactly decluttering, but I finished the taxes yesterday. Woo.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3845 on: July 16, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »
-Have someone coming this afternoon to look at an old motorcycle jacket found when we were cleaning our sheds. Fingers crossed it gets out of the house
-Sold a book on eBay, and already mailed it
-My sister is less familiar with eBay, so I took a few items from her, and sold one yesterday. Frugal win for her, and now fewer things for me to store

Our house is an absolute wreck right now, thanks to the remodel & kitchen items being spread everywhere. It's not in a great state for decluttering. That said, when we're putting things back, I'll take yet another pass through all of our kitchen items. Once they are put away, I'll continue to work my way through the rest of the house

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3846 on: July 16, 2020, 05:55:08 PM »
I found an old 8 by 3 foot mattress, only 2 inches thick, moved it out of the closet I was decluttering, into the living room so I would keep seeing it every day, as I was sure I'd think of a use for it now or in future. Well, after 2 weeks of not coming up with anything, I finally felt OK with taking it to Salvation Army. Gone. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3847 on: July 17, 2020, 08:29:39 AM »
I'm helping my mother empty her house. She spent 50 years shopping.  Right now my puzzle is what to do with her furs.  She has four coats (mink, silver fox, etc.) that were hardly worn, but I hear that they dry out over time if not stored in a special way.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3848 on: July 17, 2020, 09:00:13 AM »
I'm helping my mother empty her house. She spent 50 years shopping.  Right now my puzzle is what to do with her furs.  She has four coats (mink, silver fox, etc.) that were hardly worn, but I hear that they dry out over time if not stored in a special way.
Hmmm I wonder if there would be a market for that on eBay or vintage clothing stores? I know I bought this cool fur-lined wool coat at a vintage store when I was a teenager that I had for a long time.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3849 on: July 17, 2020, 09:22:41 AM »
I found an old 8 by 3 foot mattress, only 2 inches thick, moved it out of the closet I was decluttering, into the living room so I would keep seeing it every day, as I was sure I'd think of a use for it now or in future. Well, after 2 weeks of not coming up with anything, I finally felt OK with taking it to Salvation Army. Gone.

Slackmax, I encourage you to talk to someone about this. Because that sounds awfully like how a hoarder thinks. I know your girlfriend was a hoarder, but I've been reading your posts for some time and I'm worried that you're struggling with the same problems.