Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249179 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4550 on: January 13, 2021, 04:10:38 AM »
Ok I'm in for this.  Family of 4 -- two adults and two teenagers.  We don't have tons of extra stuff, but we could do better.  And I love getting rid of unused things.  My goal is to get rid of 500 objects this year.  So far this month I've already donated a box of outgrown kids' clothes, shoes, and toys (22 items).  I also created an Ebay account yesterday so I could try to sell a few things that might be worth a little money.

A fun one today -- I'm giving away an unused frog dissection kit that my kids never got around to.  It includes all the tools and the preserved frog too.  My neighbor was happy to get it for her two kids.  Should be a cool indoor Covid winter project for them.

Your, and your neighbor's, idea of cool indoor projects differ greatly from mine. Dissection days were not good days for me!

:) 

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4551 on: January 13, 2021, 11:10:21 AM »
We're preparing for a move later this spring, so yesterday DH and I did a deep dive in our office. Recycled LOTS of outdated or expired paperwork, with a small shred pile to be disposed of (you know, the stuff you can't just throw away). Plan on hitting up local shredding service later this week, as most community free shedding days are in the summer (post-move).

Also found as part of that purge: a small pile of old electronics to take to a local e-recyclyer - three(!) old phones, a tablet, and a DVD player, all of which finally bit the proverbial dust.

Finally, a pile of ripped/worn clothing that can't be sold or donated is heading for a textile recycling bin!

(Is moving the ultimate de-cluttering motivator? It sure feels like it.)

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #4552 on: January 13, 2021, 03:18:45 PM »

I went through the 4 totes + 2 that had camping / outdoor gear in them and ended up with 3 well curated ones. Only kept items that I have used in the past year. I have a box of oil / grease / adhesives / etc to take to our hazardous waste depot next weekend, left a box of odds and ends in our waste room for people in the building to pick through (including  ~15 lbs of random screws and bolts) Gave a couple of empty totes to a friend. Have 7 or 8 items listed for sale.

Two items sold in past two days. I've had a run of about 8 successful drama free online selling transactions over past few months ... I keep joking with my wife that I am overdue for a whack job.

One of our building neighbours has taken the box of random screws and bolts.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4553 on: January 13, 2021, 03:28:27 PM »
Beyond excited that my 20 yo daughter is going to let me help her declutter her overstuffed bookshelf. I have run out of things to get rid of in the rest of the house and begged her to let me have at it.  She has given me 2 books for the donation pile so far and I am so happy. (I know you will all understand!)

Please note that a lot of the books are YA series she has outgrown. I would *never* force anyone to get rid of books they want to keep. I have over 1000 of my own.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4554 on: January 14, 2021, 02:32:49 PM »
Today was a good day!  Filled the backseat of my car with all of my cat items, and delivered them to the local humane society.  Filled my trunk with household hazardous waste since I learned they collect M-F (used to be once a month) and are right near the humane society.  And then went hiking!  Happy to combine my errands to that side of town into one trip.

I left an old grill at the curb last night for pickup today, but it was gone first thing in the morning.

I did fail at getting rid of my old TV.  I tried to fit it in my car, but it won't.  So I'll either find a car it fits in, or try to leave it at the curb for large item pickup next week.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4555 on: January 14, 2021, 10:53:03 PM »
Not a bad day. Reviewed what was under the bathroom sink. Only some cotton pads went into the donate bin, but nail polish remover went to Room Mate who almost bought some, and expired medications are waiting for a good time to dispose of at the pharmacy.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #4556 on: January 15, 2021, 12:20:24 AM »
I recovered and wiped off fully a third of the surface of my desk, after several days of chipping away at piles.

Now I'm down to odds and ends that are there because I have no idea what to do with them. Perhaps the clean third will inspire me to keep plugging away at the rest.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4557 on: January 15, 2021, 01:36:16 AM »
My daughter relinquished another book for the donation pile. Actually, it was 2 books, but I might read one of them (Heart of Darkness, school text) so have put it on my bookshelf. If I don't read it this year it will go.

Found a pair of work boots my son wore for his previous part-time job. They are cheap, non-leather boots, were never comfortable, and have a hole in them, so will see if the local recycling organisation will take them.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4558 on: January 15, 2021, 02:28:37 AM »
I did my annual clear out on the run up to Xmas and New Year. I threw out four old holey tees and two others - they are now dog tug toys or in a pile to make fabric woven baskets (I found a how-to online but need to buy a big needle first).

I thought I'd do Project 333 (after finally reading the book) where you only wear 33 items for 3 months, but when I counted up what I'd usually wear it came to about 35 so ha ha, no need!

Also I read the book "How to Manage Your House Without Losing Your Mind" and really liked it. I recommended it to the library months and months ago and they just got it.

Also totally tidied the study since husband is no longer WFH. It's now a sort of craft room! Got rid of a bunch of things that had been listed for free but not been taken. I put them on another site and they went quickly.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4559 on: January 15, 2021, 06:47:29 AM »
After the initial purge last month we started tracking the items coming in and out of the house with a goal of having NET -365 items by years end.

We also have our first baby due in a couple months and the things are piling up! So far we acquired 24 items and have gotten rid of only 5. Luckily I think that is most of the baby stuff for now... maybe <10 items left on the registry.

Getting down to -365 is going to be tough!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4560 on: January 15, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
I had five minutes to find a use for the other day and decided to examine our bathroom cart for things that could go. Three expired OTC medicines gone and one box of mint waxed floss left by a long-ago house guest (neither of us will use waxed floss), gone and out the door.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4561 on: January 15, 2021, 02:05:09 PM »
I grew weary of all the supplies for unfinished projects around the house, so I selected one to complete (painting dining room ceiling).  The project has been dragging on aggravatingly, but at least I finished a quart of primer completely and am half done with another quart.  We also attached some trim that I bought 5 years ago. Soon the patches, sanding, and touch ups will be  done and then I can look forward to consuming 2 gallons of paint, which means more room in the garage!

I also got rid of a shelf, lamp, and random china through Buy Nothing... another 8 cubic feet freed!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4562 on: January 15, 2021, 02:09:54 PM »
Between funerals and other bad news this week I had a burst of cleaning adrenaline. (Distraction and activity is my best coping mechanism.)

@halftimer, I'm sorry for your losses. Good work on taking a bit of control back by making your physical space a little nicer, and I am sure that the recipients of the items you passed on appreciated them!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4563 on: January 15, 2021, 02:34:11 PM »
Today I threw out a whole shelf of magazines that I was keeping for no other reason than I didn't need the shelf for anything else.

Finally got rid of 3 old pairs of sneakers (I replace my running shoes annually, but the used pile builds up because it's hard to get rid of shoes that still look good, but have run out their useful life).

Cleaned up and listed for sale a laptop bag that my former company didn't want back.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4564 on: January 15, 2021, 07:40:22 PM »
Culled more books. I posted some of them on PaperBackSwap. Five of them were taken and I immediately wrapped them in upcycled packaging and taken straight to the post office. The ones that weren't claimed went right to a neighborhood little library. Five books and five bubble mailers/envelopes out. All books fit on one small shelf and in one cubby.

Donated a box of cake mix that had been an Instacart substitution, a coloring book and set of new markers.

Tossed a dress in the donation bag after a full day of wearing it and being very annoyed with it. Well, after washing and drying it.

Paper clutter is at zero! I've spent the last month taking care of paper as soon as it comes in. I even tossed a folder full of art (scrap) paper that I hadn't used in projects.

Eyeing a few of the pillows on the couch. I put two away to see if the remaining number is the perfect number.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4565 on: January 15, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »
Very successful week. We took advantage of the local buy nothing group and were able to give away a foam mattress topper we didn't need anymore but that was in good shape, along with a large mirror that was holding a space on the wall until something better came along.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4566 on: January 16, 2021, 02:25:38 PM »
Packed up two more boxes of random cups, glasses, jars, books etc that weren't being used. I think I almost have enough to make a trip to the thrift store worthwhile, so that is happening this week.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4567 on: January 16, 2021, 02:53:09 PM »
I moved some furniture a few inches here and there to vacuum and found some yarn my cats had decluttered for me.  Working it into an afghan now. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4568 on: January 16, 2021, 03:47:05 PM »
I just dumped four drawers and sorted them. A basket of magazines is also sorted. Now the buffet is full on functional and for the first time ever, I have my good cutlery in a place that is easy to access. The two drawers in the kitchen are a work of art.  When I need a marker to identify something I am freezing or scissors...there they are. 
Over the last week i have been going through my seed box.  Anything that is well and truly past viability...compost.  anything that is a complete mystery....compost.  anything that was yucky...ugly squash that shred like spaghetti but have no flavour.....compost. 
I was dreading the drawer in the kitchen but now it's done. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4569 on: January 16, 2021, 04:12:35 PM »
5 more books onto PaperBackSwap and 3 in the mailbox. Used up shopping bags and an old poster to wrap them. Even managed to release some books I've had since childhood, and they were on wish lists. Knowing items are going straight to someone who wants them feels really good.

The car trunk is completely full of times to go to the thrift store, including a reading pillow that takes up a ton of space. I washed and fluffed the two pillows I took off the couch and decided to donate them. Added a duvet cover, two shams, two pillowcases, two towels, and two washcloths.  Now there's space to walk into my small bedroom closet. I bought some battery-operated lights to brighten up the space and really see what I'm working with. Next, the dreaded coat/storage closet.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4570 on: January 16, 2021, 05:23:57 PM »
I've had an oven element in my closet since summer (remodeled our kitchen, and this was in the second of a stacked oven that never turned on?). Sold it for $5 on eBay, and is now packaged & ready to get picked up on Tuesday. I would have donated it, but our local donation site wouldn't accept it & no traction on Buy Nothing. Very happy it's not going to a landfill!

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4571 on: January 17, 2021, 07:15:31 AM »
Three more items on buy nothing and two more just waiting for a new home.  Sold three more items also - one on Ebay.  Since I'm new to Ebay I'm limited to one sale a month, I might try some things on Offer Up, does anyone have experience with them?  Pulled out all our photos and am going to take the next two weeks to organize into two albums to keep and digitize the rest.  DD came home for a couple hours yesterday and cleaned out one of her closets and the her sink cabinet, result - two bags of trash and a bunch more to donate or sell. 

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4572 on: January 17, 2021, 09:57:36 AM »
I took a bunch of pictures yesterday of wall decor items that I still really like, but don't have wall space for. I have gotten rid of most of the low hanging fruit, but since my intention is still to downsize within the next two years, I have to start de-cluttering the harder choices. *sniff* Will try to get them listed for sale today. Posting here for accountability.

I should also try to sell or give away my old camera that I don't use.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4573 on: January 17, 2021, 10:08:03 AM »
Three more items on buy nothing and two more just waiting for a new home.  Sold three more items also - one on Ebay.  Since I'm new to Ebay I'm limited to one sale a month, I might try some things on Offer Up, does anyone have experience with them?  Pulled out all our photos and am going to take the next two weeks to organize into two albums to keep and digitize the rest.  DD came home for a couple hours yesterday and cleaned out one of her closets and the her sink cabinet, result - two bags of trash and a bunch more to donate or sell.

I used to sell on ebay all the time before the state sales tax was imposed. Do you know how it works? Let's say you live in Florida, what state's taxes are collected? Do FL taxes get collected or the buyer's state? I am assuming that ebay takes care of the tax money and there is no need to claim or do anything. I would like to hear from those who understand this better than me! I want to start selling again but this tax thing has scared me off!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4574 on: January 17, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
Got rid of a box of baby girl clothes on Freecycle, and I'm stopping by the thrift store later today to drop off grown up clothes :)  I've been hoarding clothes in my closet because I didn't want to go anywhere to drop them off, so I've got a lot.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4575 on: January 17, 2021, 10:45:13 AM »
Last weekend I decluttered the workbench in the garage. It's kind of the dumping ground for stuff going in and out of my car, and I use the area to store extra horse things and mix up horse supplements. Need to get out there and finish cleaning it up.

This weekend my challenge is to go through my horse stuff and try to sell a few extra things. I did that this summer and sold some things locally, but my horse has muscled up and needs a new saddle, so it would be good to raise some money to offset that cost and reduce clutter as well.

I have three tubs of office clothes ready to go to the thrift store. After teleworking for 10 months, I just couldn't see myself wearing certain clothing or shoes ever again, so out they go. Also getting rid of a bunch of spice jars that I don't like and have slowly replaced with different jars. Need to haul it all to the donation center this week.

Found a set of chopsticks in a wooden box that MIL brought to us from Japan. Added them to our everyday chopsticks; was hoping to repurpose the box, but haven't though of a practical use for it yet.

There is also some stuff on the driveway side of our house that needs to be tossed or otherwise dealt with (a cardboard box, some scrap wood, old plant pots).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4576 on: January 17, 2021, 01:06:17 PM »
As I sort my craft room I am checking each container and optimizing what goes where.  I found a bunch of old disks that were for old hardware, gone. Plus a DVD that came in a magazine that I thought had something interesting on it, but turned out to be promotional material.  Gone.  I can put what is left in a much smaller container and use this bin for things that need that size.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4577 on: January 17, 2021, 02:16:46 PM »
We watched half an episode of Hoarders yesterday and immediately got up and started decluttering again. Our kitchen is now slightly rearranged in a way that vastly improves the functionality. Ofpym also went through his brewing gear and realised he didn't need a whole lot of plastic bottles and he can also get rid of two carboys.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4578 on: January 17, 2021, 03:34:08 PM »

I used to sell on ebay all the time before the state sales tax was imposed. Do you know how it works? Let's say you live in Florida, what state's taxes are collected? Do FL taxes get collected or the buyer's state? I am assuming that ebay takes care of the tax money and there is no need to claim or do anything. I would like to hear from those who understand this better than me! I want to start selling again but this tax thing has scared me off!

State sales taxes are collected according to the buyer's state.  eBay takes care of all the tax money - you never see it and are not responsible for it.  The Paypal/eBay fee is charged on the sale price + shipping + taxes, so if you try to calculate your profit ahead of time, you'll usually be off by a few cents because you won't know how much the tax is until the purchase is made.

I said Paypal/eBay fee because they are switching people over to using eBay payment processing instead of Paypal.  Previously the sales tax would be accounted for on the Paypal side, but since I switched it's all on the eBay side.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4579 on: January 17, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »
We watched half an episode of Hoarders yesterday and immediately got up and started decluttering again. Our kitchen is now slightly rearranged in a way that vastly improves the functionality. Ofpym also went through his brewing gear and realised he didn't need a whole lot of plastic bottles and he can also get rid of two carboys.

That show has the same effect on me!

There’s also a British one called How Clean is Your House that can be pretty motivational too.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4580 on: January 18, 2021, 08:26:49 PM »
I have identified a box worth of textiles that have no practical use to anyone else at this point, so I will be taking them to the textile recycling place this week. We replaced some blinds in our house, and the old ones will be taken to ReStore for Habitat as well.  And we are out of the baby monitor phase, so I found someone who needs a baby monitor through Buy Nothing and it is off to renewed life elsewhere.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4581 on: January 18, 2021, 09:42:02 PM »
Silicone muffin cases which I used to shape the body lotion bars I used to make. Considering I still have the bars I made 6 months ago, I can't see myself making any more anytime soon. Plus, I would need to buy more ingredients and frankly, I can't be bothered sourcing them again.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4582 on: January 18, 2021, 10:05:47 PM »
I spent about three hours cleaning the kitchen today, including a bit of reorganizing and decluttering. Nixed a grill pan, an inferior rubber spatula and some plastic forks with broken tines. Also decluttered/consolidated some food items so the fridge and freezer are more organized.

Sold a riding jacket for about what I paid for it. It was green and most of my stuff is blue or gray, so I won't be introducing clutter in the shape of other green things meant to match the jacket.

Need to get donations over to the thrift store this week for it all to really count.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #4583 on: January 18, 2021, 11:28:25 PM »

Finally got rid of 3 old pairs of sneakers (I replace my running shoes annually, but the used pile builds up because it's hard to get rid of shoes that still look good, but have run out their useful life).

I need to do this. I try to keep one older, worn-down pair of shoes for gardening, painting, and other tasks I don't want to subject my presentable shoes to, but there's a whole pile stacked up in that corner of the garage, and the spiders use them more than I do. There are also a few that were abandoned by people who don't live here anymore.

A sporting goods store nearby has a bin for recycling old shoes. I should bundle up the whole pile.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4584 on: January 19, 2021, 12:49:53 AM »
Gave away some blinds at the BuyNothing group and sold a few Lego-storage boxes which were unused (too small for the amounts of Lego of my son....) and sold 3 children CD's (yes.... sold! was surprised that somebody would actually pay for them). Boxed up clothes that either do not fit or we do not wear anymore to donate as soon as I get to my parents house (they collect this to send to a poor village in Romania every 6 months). My SO started the decluttering of the shed..... 2 bags of garbage already left the house (and I'm cheering on him, since he put this off way too long).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 02:51:48 AM by Dutch Comfort »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4585 on: January 19, 2021, 09:02:00 AM »
Report on the status of my parent's decluttering for moving.... the boiler room is reportedly STACKED with boxes for the estate sale. Yay! And none of the mattresses are moving, at least 2 are going to the trash.

Mom is, so far at least, planning on moving 12 chairs that are not currently used, have spent the past 20 years in the attic, no one wants them.... One of them is child sized (no grandkids yet, and no idea if its even in decent shape to be used in future), at least 2 are broken and CAN'T be sat in. And my great grandmother's hat box, which serves no purpose other than it belonged to her grandmother, is apparently on the move list.

----
I put 2 pairs of slippers, brand new, in the donation box. It would be nice if they could size them better.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4586 on: January 19, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »
I was restlessly wandering around the house after midnight and suddenly felt like decluttering some bookshelves, so I now have 8 more books for the donation pile. Winning this month as I haven't bought any from the op shops (still staying well away, which I think is some sort of record for me!).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4587 on: January 19, 2021, 04:30:47 PM »
I'm continuing to work through a pile of things I brought back from our vacation house. There's no Buy Nothing, Nextdoor or FB marketplace, and no good donation options, so I brought it all with us last time we drove back.

Today I cleaned up & posted a folding picnic table. I've had 15 people contact me & one is supposed to pick it up tonight. $30 in, although guessing I could have priced it quite a bit higher, given the interest. COVID has made a portable picnic table a draw, I'm guessing. One more large item out of the house!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4588 on: January 19, 2021, 07:11:17 PM »
Combined three half-burnt candles into one candle tin and tossed the other containers.

Steam mop quit working, so I ordered a new one. They don't make the brand I had anymore, so I promptly tossed the old mop and the accessories. There's no way they'll fit on the new one and no need to keep them.

Found a plastic shoebox in the pantry with a key ring and some desiccated vet wrap. Why did I keep those two silly items in a box in the pantry?? Emptied the box into the trash and put the storage bin in the donate pile. Reorganized the pantry and found nothing else  useless.

Big deal here: I put a pair of nice, still good leather boots in the donate pile. I have wiped the dust off of them twice to wear them but can't bring myself to. The heel is too high. They are so gorgeous but give me a head and neck ache every time I wear them. They are a fancy brand and did I mention still nice?? But they don't work for me and I'm burnt out on selling things after my big pre-holiday push. I've had the boots for 6 years and have gotten my money's worth, but just can't do high heels any more. Finally motivated myself to donate them after thinking of how thrilled someone might be the find fancy brand, still nice boots at a thrift store.

Up to twelve books out on PaperBackSwap. There were a few that had no takers, so I'll put them in the donate pile. Used up all of the kraft paper for mailing.

Next stop--actually drop donations off instead of driving them around town for another week!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4589 on: January 19, 2021, 11:55:13 PM »
We've been continuing the sporadic declutter. This morning while making breakfast, we completely rearranged one of the counters and created a lot of usable and visual space.

@okcisok high fives for donating the boots! I donate nice things because I have found so many nice things in the thriftshops, it feels karmically right to feed into the system that has helped me. Also life is too short for uncomfortable feet.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4590 on: January 20, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »

Five more items sold, luckily four locally which is easier.  Gave away a parka, an ice chest and a few gun related items we had from an old tenant to one of DH's old colleagues.  Couple more things went yesterday from the Buy Nothing Group.  I'll work on listing more for sale and putting together another bunch of items to go this week.  Amazing what you find when you actually look at your belongings, I just can't believe I kept so much even through four cross country moves. 

About halfway through with the photos and decided I'll keep three albums - wedding album, album from DD's first year and one from DD year 2-present.  Consolidates by about half of where we were, but they fit nicely in a plastic tote so I'm good with it. 

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4591 on: January 20, 2021, 12:15:17 PM »
Clothing was recycled, shredding was moved to this weekend, e-waste was moved to the free day for our city (first Wed of every month) to avoid any private company charges.

Sold an old (working) coffeemaker on a social media group. Finding other items to sell pre-move (baby carrier, old crib mattress, some unused cookware/appliances, etc.)

Intentionally working through our cupboards to eat up and use items I don't want to move. Hello, half a bag of quinoa. What to cook you in next week... ?

We're preparing for a move later this spring, so yesterday DH and I did a deep dive in our office. Recycled LOTS of outdated or expired paperwork, with a small shred pile to be disposed of (you know, the stuff you can't just throw away). Plan on hitting up local shredding service later this week, as most community free shedding days are in the summer (post-move).

Also found as part of that purge: a small pile of old electronics to take to a local e-recyclyer - three(!) old phones, a tablet, and a DVD player, all of which finally bit the proverbial dust.

Finally, a pile of ripped/worn clothing that can't be sold or donated is heading for a textile recycling bin!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4592 on: January 20, 2021, 12:55:17 PM »
-Fold up picnic table sold & is now gone, $30 into the budget
-Listed my old fitbit charger on both Buy Nothing, & then eBay after I couldn't find a match on Buy Nothing.
-Found my old fitbit box & instructions, & got those recycled

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4593 on: January 20, 2021, 12:58:15 PM »
Now that my big summertime decluttering is done...  I have a long, skinny livingroom with the TV mounted on one wall.  I have 3 reclining chairs, a daybed vice a sofa, a cat tree by the window (of course)!   2 end tables.  2 lamp stands.  I want a friend to come over and just rearrange it all for me because now that I don't really have stuff in the livingroom I'm never happy with the furniture layout. 

I finally moved a tote of Christmas and household miscellanea down to the storage area of my condo building.  I am emptying boxes of yarn slowly but surely for charity afghans.  Also working on using up some toiletries I've acquired through gifts or my own purchases.  I also disposed of some random food from the fridge that I do not remember buying and do not want to eat.  Aspirational grocery purchases I guess. 

There is a tiny, remote possible I could have a new job in 2021 and if that is the case, I will sell my condo and move into an apartment closer to work with a shorter commute and less responsibilities.  Trying to be mindful of this remote possibility and not add more belongings to my place! 

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4594 on: January 20, 2021, 02:27:26 PM »
Clothing was recycled, shredding was moved to this weekend, e-waste was moved to the free day for our city (first Wed of every month) to avoid any private company charges.

Sold an old (working) coffeemaker on a social media group. Finding other items to sell pre-move (baby carrier, old crib mattress, some unused cookware/appliances, etc.)

Intentionally working through our cupboards to eat up and use items I don't want to move. Hello, half a bag of quinoa. What to cook you in next week... ?

I have moved quite a lot and everytime a move have been decided I have decluttered. I always ask myself if I want to pay to get this thing moved. That have allowed me to sell of all the things I don’t want to donate and donate rest. I also ask if the item will fit into the new apartment. Once I had to sell a book case because both didn’t fit into the new apartment. It also forced me to purge books. This also makes it easier to pack your stuff because you have made about 95 % of the keep or not decisions. Often you find even more stuff to sell and donate while you pack. This had allowed me to keep a fairly clutterfree lifestyle.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4595 on: January 20, 2021, 04:36:38 PM »

I have moved quite a lot and everytime a move have been decided I have decluttered. I always ask myself if I want to pay to get this thing moved. That have allowed me to sell of all the things I don’t want to donate and donate rest. I also ask if the item will fit into the new apartment. Once I had to sell a book case because both didn’t fit into the new apartment. It also forced me to purge books. This also makes it easier to pack your stuff because you have made about 95 % of the keep or not decisions. Often you find even more stuff to sell and donate while you pack. This had allowed me to keep a fairly clutterfree lifestyle.

I have a slightly different strategy, but inspired by moves. We moved from Washington to CA (from a large home we owned to a rental we weren't sure we'd be in for long). I'd say we got rid of ~30-40% of our stuff. I wasn't into decluttering at the time, had small kids growing through things, and we just had a bunch of stuff that had accumulated.

For the second move (CA rental property to a home a few blocks away that we'd purchased), I was determined to again rid of as much as possible before we moved. Because, packing & unpacking & then finding a place for crap you don't need is...not a good use of time. I'm guessing we got rid of 10-15% of our stuff that go round.

Now, I have a daily task. Every day I find something to donate, sell or toss. Every day. Back in the pre-COVID days, I did this on Fridays, when I worked from home. I'd set a goal for 10 items every Friday. A lot of it was trash coming out for the kids room, or broken pencils & the like. Now I make it a daily task, since I'm WFH all day. I reach days where it's pretty hard to find stuff, but I'm always surprised by the depths of belongings.

Today, for example, I found a Calphalon butter warmer. In the first move (7 years ago), he promised me we'd use it a lot. It was originally his from pre-marriage. We've still never used it. I listed it on eBay. If I don't sell it, I'll give it away on my local Buy Nothing group. How have I moved something twice that's taking up valuable cupboard space & we don't use?

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4596 on: January 20, 2021, 07:03:57 PM »
Dragged another old grill to the curb to be picked up tomorrow (done with the old grills!).  Trashed an old/broken garden hose reel thingy.  Also added some yard waste from the overgrown section of the yard - goal is to do a bit each week until it is gone now that I know it's not the impossible task I thought it was.

Edit: someone has taken the old grill.  I can't imagine anyone would want to use it - it would be cool if they took it for scrap metal, though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:50:43 PM by NotJen »

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4597 on: January 20, 2021, 07:52:47 PM »
Using a ball of homespun yarn to make an ear warmer/headband. Turning clutter into something useful!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4598 on: January 20, 2021, 09:37:46 PM »
Took the last of the 8mm films to Costco for digital conversion. They announced the upcoming closing of their in-store photo centers recently, so I moved up the timeline on this. In a few weeks, those films will come back to me, but I'll have a digital copy also, so then I can trash the originals! Woo! Hope it's done before I move, that would be a bonus.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4599 on: January 22, 2021, 07:21:25 AM »
Listed a bunch on Facebook marketplace yesterday with a couple crosspostings to Craigslist.  Sold four items yesterday and two this morning.  Scanned in another batch of photos and added our honeymoon photos to the back of our wedding album. Now to get four of the purchases shipped, also need to work on more photo scanning and getting some things listed on the Buy Nothing group.