Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249286 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #2100 on: February 08, 2019, 08:33:16 PM »
Moved two books from the bedroom floor to the car, where there are already a few bags of books. They all get donated to the library sale tomorrow!  Also my daughter has a friend who lives near a Little Free Library, so we'll drop some books off there too.

It's still hard to get rid of books. I've got so much aspirational type stuff.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2101 on: February 08, 2019, 08:55:38 PM »
Aspirational stuff as in heavy going topics / hard reads, or interests you haven't got round to, or something else? I have a few of both but I'm making this the year to plough through them.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2102 on: February 09, 2019, 05:01:25 AM »
Heavy topics/hard reads/new reads.  Science, history, and classics. I used to read a book a day when I was younger, but then lost my mojo, as professional reading and responsibilities piled up. Now I can barely finish a magazine article.

For a long time I still kept the habit of picking up used books, though. I don't know if this is the year I go through the shelves, but it would be good for me to start reading again.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:03:20 AM by Poundwise »

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #2103 on: February 09, 2019, 11:27:14 AM »
Further to my previous post: I took four bags of clothes to the charity shop yesterday, and also threw some clothes into the bin. Then I sorted the clothes I was keeping back into my chest of drawers, and was astounded by the amount of space. I can fit my socks in the drawer now, instead of having to keep them in a storage bag on the floor! :O

First picture is of the bags I took to the charity shop.

Today I got all my shoes, bags, and accessories ready to be KonMari-ed. :) The second pic is all the shoes, bags, and accessories that it turns out I own.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2104 on: February 10, 2019, 07:55:41 AM »
I started on the stereo cabinet that spread to the bookshelf next to it.
A bunch of looe piano lesson CD's made their way back into the music books that they belong to. Now the music books need to go to a beginner student.  Perferably a family member because they are well marked up with personal stuff by my daughter.
The music books are a stack 3" high and the paper for recycling is almost 4" high. 
My brother took some books to his house a couple of weeks ago so one shelf is half empty and another one is completely empty. 

I made more room in the basement on a shelf for stuff that needs to be given away - so that I can sort by categories.  That way I can have a place for the thing to live as soon as I make the decision that it needs to leave.  This has been really helpful for me.  And I get exercise walking it down the stairs immediately once I decide that it is not bringing me joy anymore.

@BookLoverL  - that is a great achievement.  Is it feeling good?

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #2105 on: February 10, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »
I started on the stereo cabinet that spread to the bookshelf next to it.
A bunch of looe piano lesson CD's made their way back into the music books that they belong to. Now the music books need to go to a beginner student.  Perferably a family member because they are well marked up with personal stuff by my daughter.
The music books are a stack 3" high and the paper for recycling is almost 4" high. 
My brother took some books to his house a couple of weeks ago so one shelf is half empty and another one is completely empty. 

I made more room in the basement on a shelf for stuff that needs to be given away - so that I can sort by categories.  That way I can have a place for the thing to live as soon as I make the decision that it needs to leave.  This has been really helpful for me.  And I get exercise walking it down the stairs immediately once I decide that it is not bringing me joy anymore.

@BookLoverL  - that is a great achievement.  Is it feeling good?

Thanks! It's feeling great so far. I'd say it's no understatement to say that this is the best tidying method I have ever discovered. Congrats on your own tidying!

The first pic is my remaining shoes, bags, and accessories now that I've KonMari-ed them.

Next I'm going to KonMari my books. As you might guess by my username, I have quite a lot. The second pic is them all spread out on my bedroom floor. Spoiler alert: probably going to end up keeping most of these.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2106 on: February 10, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
@BookLoverL  You have my permission to keep most of the books. I have 2 full bookcases of books, and that's after a dramatic reduction due to a long distance move. I got rid of 2/3 of my books then. I have no plans to get rid of what's left. People who don't get it aren't readers, and that's their loss.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #2107 on: February 10, 2019, 12:49:16 PM »
@BookLoverL  You have my permission to keep most of the books. I have 2 full bookcases of books, and that's after a dramatic reduction due to a long distance move. I got rid of 2/3 of my books then. I have no plans to get rid of what's left. People who don't get it aren't readers, and that's their loss.

Well, I already gave myself permission, but thanks anyway. ;) The thing is that all the books I'm keeping genuinely bring me joy. I want to read about everything! Or pour the knowledge into my brain through my ear or something.

So far I've gone through about half of the books in the picture, and only put about 20 books aside to go to the charity shop.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2108 on: February 10, 2019, 01:34:24 PM »

Well, I already gave myself permission, but thanks anyway. ;) The thing is that all the books I'm keeping genuinely bring me joy. I want to read about everything! Or pour the knowledge into my brain through my ear or something.

So far I've gone through about half of the books in the picture, and only put about 20 books aside to go to the charity shop.

Lat year I donated a lot of books.  Anything fiction that the library has, I donated.  I am sure I can find a few more to go in the next round, but most are keepers.

What is really helping is putting hard limits on what I buy - only non-fiction (mostly reference) and only if I have taken it out of the library multiple times.  For these I do want paper, not e-book, so I can look things up easily. So far that has been 2 books, and there are 2 more on the buy list.  Given my previous book purchase history, that is nothing.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2109 on: February 10, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »
I took three bags to the car, so that's a step closer to dropping them off at Vinnies.

(I only need to drive once or twice a week so it doesn't bother me if they sit in the boot for a while.)

Found some interesting things in my adventures through cupboards and drawers this weekend.

- hot pink t-shirt bra, barely worn, forgot I owned it. Will keep, and toss out an older one.
- selfie stick, misguided secret Santa gift from work. Will take it back to the office and find it a new home.
- stuffed toy dog, gift from a friend during a hospital stay. Will give to my puppy to play with.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2110 on: February 10, 2019, 05:36:57 PM »
Made great progress with clearing out the big laundry cupboard this weekend. Shifted gardening gear to more appropriate spots, gave away a lot of things we just don't use (garden arch, plug-in fairy lights), threw away and recycled a LOT of packaging we'd held on to for no reason, and made space for our drying racks when they're not in use. Excellent!

Next steps: Mr Happier to sort through the paint tins and painting supplies still in the big laundry cupboard. Then we'll organise and pare down the tools and DIY supplies we keep under the bed, and store them in more appropriate storage containers in the big laundry cupboard.This will get us closer to my goal of not having anything stored under the bed.

Does clearing out clutter in the form of plants count? I dug up some succulents and a butterfly bush that weren't right for the spaces they were occupying, and gave them away. Planted out some geraniums in their place.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #2111 on: February 10, 2019, 08:55:22 PM »
* Chucked four expired OTC medications.

* Used up the 3M no-skid safety tape on the exterior steps rather than storing it forever
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:33:35 PM by jengod »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2112 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »
This weekend I made a start on a project to use up awkward shaped scrap wood that is hanging around down the side of our house. We risk attracting termites so it's really good to get it built into crates, garden beds etc and moved on! I'm hoping I get into a groove and get the lot away soon.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #2113 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:23 PM »
Does clearing out clutter in the form of plants count? I dug up some succulents and a butterfly bush that weren't right for the spaces they were occupying, and gave them away. Planted out some geraniums in their place.

I say yes!

Today's declutter was epic in the amount going out, the particular items and the donation process.
Amount: 1 box, 2 chairs and a bookcase - bulky!
Items: the bookcase was something I kept through many prior rounds of decluttering.  I really like it!  I just don't have a need for it.  Finally ready to release it this week.
Process: 1st stop was not accepting donations today; second stop took the furniture and only clothing from the box.  Finally the third stop took the remaining household items.  Good thing I was already driving all over town for a bunch of errands - didn't have to go far out of my way to accomplish this.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2114 on: February 11, 2019, 06:58:38 AM »
Yesterday I went into the furnace room to see if I could make some progress and found 2 spare cupboard knobs and a nozzle thing for the kitchen sink. Which was great because two knobs in the kitchen wouldn't tighten any more, and the kitchen sink nozzle had stopped switching between spray and flow. So I replaced them and threw the old broken ones away.

My cookbook shelf is full, and didn't have space for my new magazines, so I have tagged a book to go to the free library that one of the local farmers market will run once it is warm.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2115 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:29 AM »
Finally cleared out the bottom part of a closet that has been a catch-all since we moved in 5 years ago, and stuffed a bunch of toddler toys in there!  Came across things like a 2013 Christmas letter from a friend, a viola rest for when I played 20+ years ago.  Passed on a small shelf to a new home and am returning a light fixture to my folks.  Still have to do the top, but I'm resting on my laurels for a bit first.  I'm really excited about having less visual clutter out, and hopefully toddler will have a longer attention span with the toys when they are rotated out.  While we have very little storage space in this 1930s home, we still store more things than we need, and if we got rid of the unused we'd feel more comfortable with the storage space options.

Also filed away a huge stack of bill type paperwork (throwing away some inches in the process).  Unfortunately, it doesn't even look like I've made a dent in the paperwork on the table. :( Nor did a I find something FIL claims he sent us.  Next up on the paperwork is culling the toddler's artwork, but I want to take photos of them before I do that so it'll be a lengthier process.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #2116 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:12 AM »
Well done, everyone! :)

Pleased to announce that after sorting through my pile of books, the amount of books I've decided to sell or donate is non-zero. It's not that much compared to the overall pile - all the rest genuinely bring me joy - but it's enough to make a bit of a difference to storage. :)
Pics are of the things I'm getting rid of.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2117 on: February 11, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »
Posting here for a little accountability. I'm unclear what my goals are, but... I need some!

A previous poster mentions living in a 1930s house with little storage.  That's us.  About 400 square feet, built in 1912. No closet, just an open hanging bar with a shelf above it, so even when things are put away we never have relief from the visual clutter. 

I have a shit ton of art.  I don't want to look at my art every day.  But I'm not ready to trash it.  The amount varies as things go out and come back from shows, but it is not insignificant.  Right now I have it all leaned up against the wall in the living room and covered with a sheet.  That really helped my spouse feel ok about it.  But the living room just... isn't set up right.  And I'm not sure what it will take to fix it.

hah!  Part of the reason the living room is such a challenge to set up is because you have to be right next to a window to have cell service.  We don't have wifi. Frugal person problem? 

In the past week I made boxes to fit a cube shelf that my spouse is using for a dresser.  This should help contain things.  I also finished up a bunch of sewing projects, most of them will go to my seller.  This frees storage space in the one cupboard we have (which is in a corner, over a door and ridiculously difficult to use). Finishing projects is part of feeling good at home, I think I got a lot done even though the visual impact is small.

I have the recycling loaded in the car, hoping I get to town during their small window of hours when they accept recycling, but I don't want to make a special trip. I almost put it out with the trash this morning just to have it gone... but no!  urg!  Want to recycle it. 

The house is big enough.  And while we have a few things to get rid of I really think most of the issue is how we use the space...

So, my first steps are:
  • sort out the things that belong under the kitchen sink and are just sitting under the table until the cupboard is fixed.  They need new/better homes.
  • Find a place for grocery bags for the trash can, must be easy to reach for spouse
  • what would make it easy for spouse to hang up their coat?
  • finish another small sewing project
  • look at winter work clothes and sweaters all at the same time. Maybe let some go.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2118 on: February 11, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »
I've been traveling & haven't done much decluttering. However, I came home to a crazy messy house, & at least got the following done:

-Beat down the paperwork that's accumulated in our three tiered tray while I was gone
-Put a shirt in the donation pile

It's not a lot, but trying to get some positive momentum building

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2119 on: February 11, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »
A previous poster mentions living in a 1930s house with little storage.  That's us.  About 400 square feet, built in 1912. No closet, just an open hanging bar with a shelf above it, so even when things are put away we never have relief from the visual clutter. 

In previous homes with a similar issue, I hung a "balcony curtain" on a curtain rod (tension or bar on command hooks) across the open side of the closet-like indent. Highly recommend.

I don't think I want to do that. But I do appreciate the suggestion.  I am glad for creative ways to think about things! 

The upside for me is that I wear the hanging clothing much more often since I see it all the time.  You can't just push things to the back and forget them. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2120 on: February 11, 2019, 09:09:06 PM »

Some kind of wall-mounted or over-the-door hook?

In previous homes with a similar issue, I hung a "balcony curtain" on a curtain rod (tension or bar on command hooks) across the open side of the closet-like indent. Highly recommend.

I don't think I want to do that. But I do appreciate the suggestion.  I am glad for creative ways to think about things! 

The upside for me is that I wear the hanging clothing much more often since I see it all the time.  You can't just push things to the back and forget them. 

I actually started coveting a system like that over the weekend.

I caught up on my ironing and was hanging shirts and dresses on the hooks on my bedroom door till I put them away, and I thought how easy it would be to have everything so accessible like that.

This is only two feet from my built-in wardrobe, and opening a sliding door really isn't taxing, but it showed me a I have some more work to do in culling clothes.

My wins for the day:
    - offloaded the selfie stick at work
    - deleted more than 500 work emails
    - sent 11 books to a friend for her CWA stall

Husband started new job yesterday, so most of the stuff he brought home from his old office (drink bottle, KeepCup, pen cup, notebooks, etc) has gone to new office.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #2121 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
    I Marie Kondo'ed my makeup stash last night. I feel kind of sick at the amount of money I spent on stuff that didn't look good on me (before I found MMM. Some of those eyeshadows were, geez, 7 or 8 years old? Which, probably isn't sanitary?). Oddly, though, I had the hardest time tossing out a big eyeshadow palette I didn't even like, that I was given by a friend who was destashing. Why? That's dumb. The giver would not care if I tossed it; she's not that kind of person.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #2122 on: February 12, 2019, 08:58:11 AM »
    Oddly, though, I had the hardest time tossing out a big eyeshadow palette I didn't even like, that I was given by a friend who was destashing. Why? That's dumb. The giver would not care if I tossed it; she's not that kind of person.

One thing that minimalism books seem to stress about hand-me downs is: that person didn't even want to keep it. Why should you feel obligated to?

I gave a weird little Amish doll away today. My friend gave it to me like 10 years ago, and I used to collect dolls. It was a sweet gift. My toddler is freaked out by it because it doesn't have eyes. Like she goes around carrying it screaming "eyes!". I told my friend this and she said "I gave that to you? When, that thing is creepy." 

So I guess if she didn't have attachment to it as a gift, I didn't need to hold onto it.

(It's cute- I liked it- but my doll collection is dwindling. I'm not so into collecting things anymore.)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #2123 on: February 12, 2019, 04:28:18 PM »
    It's great when friends give you permission to offload something. I was somewhat relieved when a friend of mine separated from her new husband after three months of marriage and she instructed me to dispose of my bridesmaid dress.

My wins:
    - deleted or filed another 500 work emails
    - put a heap of recyclable plastic containers out for recycling

Pulled on a knit top for work this morning and realised I spend the whole day tugging the waistband back down when I wear it. I love the rest of it, but it's just too short for me. Time to let it go.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
    • That old chestnut.
    « Reply #2124 on: February 12, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
    Tonight I pulled everything out of a storage coffee table in the basement, so I can put it on Craigslist.  Lots of booklets for electronics we no longer own, and the inflater for a yoga ball that died.  In short, it was mostly storing garbage.  The papers will go in the fire, and the inflater will go out with out with the trash tomorrow.  Also identified two partially used quarts of paint that had dried out.  Need to go through and check the rest of the cans.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #2125 on: February 13, 2019, 01:38:38 AM »
    Tonight I pulled everything out of a storage coffee table in the basement, so I can put it on Craigslist.  Lots of booklets for electronics we no longer own, and the inflater for a yoga ball that died.  In short, it was mostly storing garbage.  The papers will go in the fire, and the inflater will go out with out with the trash tomorrow.  Also identified two partially used quarts of paint that had dried out.  Need to go through and check the rest of the cans.

That actually sounds awesome to me. No decisions!

halftimer

• Stubble
    « Reply #2126 on: February 13, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
    I'm in awe of @mustachepungoeshere going through so many emails. You are inspiring to me

Just catching up, and saw a page ago all the comments about old t shirts that were not even good enough to use as rags, and getting rid of old textiles, and this made me need to chime in.  I sent some things recently to textile recycling, and decided that other pieces could be the stuffing of a big floor cushion.  Then last week the landlord was in my suite with the plumber and called 'do you have any old towels or sheets?' and I came home to a wicked mess! Good thing I had some big pieces I could use for the sewage mess and then immediately bag up and throw away. Landlord said they just donated all of their old stuff. 

I live in a basement suite - you just have to plan for mini floods sometimes and have extra towels on hand. Of course no one can plan for an inept plumber (he made the mess - we have had others in to fix the tree root issue before and they are very professional - they use booties, use the access port, put a stopper in open pipes if they have to leave, do not find and use my put away bath mat to put under the messy disassembled toilet, and have a wax seal on hand before deciding to disassemble/take off toilet, and most importantly do not require us to call the police to get them to stop swearing and screaming and finally go) :end rant:

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #2127 on: February 13, 2019, 09:21:55 AM »
    When I lived in a house with no closet I had a wardrobe so I didn’t have to look at a messy coat rack. I used to hold onto books but now limit myself to 20.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #2128 on: February 13, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »
    I'm in awe of @mustachepungoeshere going through so many emails. You are inspiring to me

Nooooo, I shouldn't have let it get this bad!

My goal is to delete or file 500 a day until my inbox is under 500.

@marty998 is the king of email folders. His folder system is a work of art.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #2129 on: February 13, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »

Some kind of wall-mounted or over-the-door hook?

Well, this is really something that spouse has to decide.  I put the question to him and he wasn't sure, though he suggested chocolate would be a strong motivator.

As for the no closet situation, we would be well served by a big wardrobe.  I'd love the kind with hanging space, and a couple drawers up the side.  Alas. We are renting, don't know how long we'll live here, and have decided it's better to make do. bleh. 

I've made small progress on my list:
      • sort out the things that belong under the kitchen sink and are just sitting under the table until the cupboard is fixed.  They need new/better homes.
      • Find a place for grocery bags for the trash can, must be easy to reach for spouse
      • what would make it easy for spouse to hang up their coat? -- the ball is in his court now but I'll follow up in a week or two
      • finish another small sewing project -- two done!
      • look at winter work clothes and sweaters all at the same time. Maybe let some go.

I messed up that quote somehow. sry.

I swear there aren't that many end lists, they are just show up.[/list][/list]
      « Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 12:45:32 PM by PMG »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
      « Reply #2130 on: February 13, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »

Noooooooo @mustachepungoeshere, you've seen it.... there's literally hundreds of folders arranged in various hierarchies.

Which means I can never find anything I need anymore!

I do try and keep the Inbox under 200 now. But it's a daily battle.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
      « Reply #2131 on: February 13, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
      I gave a weird little Amish doll away today. My friend gave it to me like 10 years ago, and I used to collect dolls. It was a sweet gift. My toddler is freaked out by it because it doesn't have eyes. Like she goes around carrying it screaming "eyes!". I told my friend this and she said "I gave that to you? When, that thing is creepy." 

Your story made me laugh!!

I got rid of some used-but-still-good party decorations through Buy Nothing. Put another box of clothes/books/toys to donate in the car.  Offered to teach a friend to knit; will let her pick through my yarn stash if she would like to make something for herself.  Still feeling stressed out by the amount of stuff we have in our home... we crossed a threshold last year where it became uncomfortable to live and hard to find things because we have too many possessions.  Mostly raw materials for projects that we didn't have time to do.  But baby steps.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
      « Reply #2132 on: February 13, 2019, 05:42:51 PM »
      I did it! I rehomed the stranded kitchen cupboard items!

The trash can bags have a new home.

I dropped dropped the recycling off and then dropped a large item at thrift and I took two boxes of my art/handmade stuff off at a new seller who was delighted with my aesthetic and thinks these things will move quickly. Hallelujah!

And now I’m in the middle of another medium sized sewing project using up supplies I’ve had on hand.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
      • Walrus Stache
      • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
      « Reply #2133 on: February 13, 2019, 05:45:05 PM »
      Well done PMG!

Today I gave my belt to Mom, whose belt was getting shredded.  Hers went in the trash.  Win-win!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
      • Learning.
      « Reply #2134 on: February 13, 2019, 06:03:54 PM »

Noooooooo @mustachepungoeshere, you've seen it.... there's literally hundreds of folders arranged in various hierarchies.

I'm feeling pretty smug right now.

This year I set out to clean up my inboxes.

Work email - currently 2 emails in the inbox awaiting action.  Everything else is deleted or filed under 9 folders.

Personal email - currently 1 email in the inbox awaiting payment (a bill).  Everything else is filed under 12 folders.

It makes it so much easier to find things this way, and I see what still needs to be responded to or done.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
      « Reply #2135 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »

Work email - currently 2 emails in the inbox awaiting action.  Everything else is deleted or filed under 9 folders.

Personal email - currently 1 email in the inbox awaiting payment (a bill).  Everything else is filed under 12 folders.

It makes it so much easier to find things this way, and I see what still needs to be responded to or done.

... people use folders in their personal email?

Oh christ, I give up.

I just did my 500 for the day for work. My Gmail, I'm happy if it stays below 5000.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
      « Reply #2136 on: February 13, 2019, 07:53:35 PM »
      I think it counts as decluttering? In my personal email inbox, I get everything from 4 different email addresses delivered. Obviously, tons of junk mail. Been in process for a while.

Went through and hit unsubscribe on lots of things to stop them coming in. Cut it by 60%.
      Did some "training" of the junk filters on the worst of it
      Setup a folder and diverted the rest of the junk into it. while I don't want to see all the ads in my face, when I am going to buy something, I will look for coupon codes, etc. This way, that stuff is accessible if I want it but out of my way. And I set it up to auto delete, so it doesn't get too out of control.

90% fewer emails in my inbox to actually look at. :)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
        • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
      « Reply #2137 on: February 14, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »

... people use folders in their personal email?

Oh christ, I give up.

I just did my 500 for the day for work. My Gmail, I'm happy if it stays below 5000.

Fun story- when I got divorced about ten years ago, instead of changing my Gmail I decided to just abandon it.  It had over 20k unread... it was too much.  My new and current Gmail has 6k.  I've done a much better job.  I always joke that the rest of my life is so organized and clean so that I can have a dirty car and a disorganized email to balance it out.

letsdoit

• Bristles
      « Reply #2138 on: February 15, 2019, 09:59:39 AM »
      i count email curating as useless busy work

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
      « Reply #2139 on: February 15, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »
      Took the bus to V-Day dinner; saved on exorbitant parking too.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
        • My Wild Ride to FI
      « Reply #2140 on: February 15, 2019, 05:20:51 PM »
      Put a shirt in the donation pile today & recycled a bunch of mail & other stuff lingering around the house.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #2141 on: February 15, 2019, 05:22:05 PM »
      I got rid of a bunch of old towels and sheets yesterday to someone who's fostering a bunch of new puppies -- yay!

Also jumped in on the email-cutting bandwagon. Down to 155 total emails in my gmail (from something like 600, plus everything in social+promptions that I got rid of).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
        • My Wild Ride to FI
      « Reply #2142 on: February 17, 2019, 08:28:51 AM »
      Not quite out of the house yet, but listed four items on eBay yesterday, so soon!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
      « Reply #2143 on: February 17, 2019, 03:12:10 PM »
      Over the past three days I:

- deleted/filed another 500 emails
      - rehomed two Biblical kids books (a well-meaning relative gave them to my nephews), a jumper I bought on eBay that never quite fit right, and a stuffed animal
      - gave my mum a bag of things I'd put aside for her
      - found an empty shoebox I'd inexplicably stashed in my wardrobe (maybe I had big plans for it?), tossed it in the recycling

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
      « Reply #2144 on: February 17, 2019, 03:18:11 PM »
      - listed for sale on ebay a beautiful ski coat I purchased last year that I realized I will never need, and my old ratty one will do just fine. It was $$$ so hoping since it is brand new I can recoup some of the price.
      - Donated about 100 books to the library
      - sold a brand new pair of cycling shoes I'd bought and then realized I hated the way they fit. Made back all of the $$ I spent on them.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
      « Reply #2145 on: February 17, 2019, 05:21:19 PM »
      Worked through my entire shredding stack!! I give myself a gold star. Now to stay on top of it going forward...

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
      « Reply #2146 on: February 17, 2019, 07:01:24 PM »
      Sorted through the 2yo’s clothes and passed along two bags of outgrown items via our Buy Nothing Group. Shoes next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
      « Reply #2147 on: February 22, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
      Lately I've been focusing on using up some consumables.

I rounded up all the travel packs of tissues and put the tissues in a tiny basket. When the box of tissues in my lounge room was empty, I put the basket there.

They're now all used up, which is great.

I'm also working on the travel toiletries, using up pinky-sized moisturisers, suncream, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.

It's an uncomfortable amount of plastic for me, and I've started reducing how much is coming in.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
        • My Wild Ride to FI
      « Reply #2148 on: February 22, 2019, 07:13:23 PM »
      My aunt (mom's sister) is mentally disabled. She is able to live on her own, and work a minimum wage job. Her partner of 30 years just passed away, so in the emergency, my mom was at her house. Sidenote: my aunt will never let anyone in her house under any circumstance. The house is. . . so beyond salvage. There are bugs, cat pee everywhere, and the ambulance crew couldn't wheel the bed in during the emergency due to the wall to wall junk, paper, garbage, etc that's stacked up. I feel so very sad for my mom, who just got done dealing with her mom & her stepfather passing away. Apparently, there are six cats living in the tiny house, and the bedbugs are so terrible that the entire house needs to be basically torn apart. Oh, and my aunt refuses to change or accept help, move into an assisted living situation, etc. It will eventually come down to my mom needing to take over legal guardianship.

I know that's only marginally related to this thread, but I've offered to come to help my mom during my sabbatical, so that I can assist with some of the "tough love" elements of talking to my aunt & assisting with the house stuff. Sweet mercy.

As for me, I listed three items on eBay today, and have three other items selling today. Progress!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #2149 on: February 23, 2019, 06:38:53 AM »
      My husbands aunt lived in New York in a horrible apartment up at least 3 gigantic flights of stairs (no elevator). She lived there her whole life and it was rent subsidized. She always kept a clean apartment but when she got older she must have turned into a hoarder. When she was finally put in a nursing home, basically waiting to die, another relative took over the responsibility of her apartment. She was horrified to find there were boxes stacked to the ceiling never opened from on line shopping. Worst of all it was full of bed bugs. I was told there was no way to salvage anything but some jewelry and a few non fabric things. A crew was hired to take everything out and throw it away. I think they had to bag it all up like toxic waste to transport it thru the building to the dump truck. The guys dressed up in protective suits so the bugs wouldn't get in their clothes. It cost something like $25,000 to clean it out and fumigate. Not sure if that is NY prices or if that is abnormal price but seems a lot to me. The trouble with those old buildings in NY is that if one apartment gets bed bugs they can get into all the apartments. So unless the whole building is fumigated at the same time, I don't see how they can ever get rid of these creatures. That is why NOW I am even afraid to buy second hand furniture. What if it came from a house with bed bugs!