Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249448 times)

Swish

• Stubble
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4400 on: December 11, 2020, 08:35:21 AM »
So round 2 I cleaned out the garage of a ton of junk. Hope this motivates some of you to get off your butts and free up a parking spot. We can now fit the car in the garage again!

Chainsaw - $350
Skill saw - $50
Spare wrenches - $40
LEGO phone - $25
Tonka truck - $5
Clipboard - $3
Corelle dishes - $30
Bike - $20
Bunk bed - $200
Bar table - $125
Memory stick - $4
Extension cord - $4
Dora wallet - $2
Motherboard - $10
Graphics card - $20
WeeRide copilot - $40
Helmets - $8
Shoe bench - $50
Baby chair - $3
Shop vac - $40
Toy chest - $10
Pro shop Voucher - $100
Random lights - $10
Fridge - $500
Outlet - $5
Worklamps - $20
Axe - $5
Fan - $5
Clock - $4
Art - $35
Grinder - $15
Cooler - $30
Laptop Battery - $8
Reciprocating saw - $40
Bouncer - $25
Bike - $35
Tv stand - $125
Skate bar - $5
Oscillating saw - $50
Diesel oil - $20
Chainsaw sharpener - $30
Chariot stroller - $650

Total: $2,756

Wow! High prices. Where do you live? How did you sell the stuff? Yard  sale?

@slackmax we are in Canada so if in the US adjust for currency. We sold mostly using facebook market place and kijiji. There is a PIA factor but I just piled it all in middle of garage for a few weeks and what ever didn't sell we donated/threw away. Some of the bigger items were pretty high end as well and in very great shape, chainsaw, fridge, chariot. My problem now is my parents found out and dropped a bunch of their crap off to sell so might be best to keep it a secret ;)

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4401 on: December 11, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »
After making some more sales on Marketplace recently, I scouted the kitchen again and listed 4 new items/sets.

One is a wire basket that I like and could probably use if I got rid of 1 of the other 2 similar containers I have displayed in my kitchen.  But the fact that I haven't used it ever in this house (that I remember) means that it really should go!

I still need to decide if I want to keep my small-pot drip coffee maker.  I haven't used it in a long time, but it's nice to have a backup in case my primary brewer goes.  I wouldn't go out and buy a backup, but since I have it already...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4402 on: December 11, 2020, 11:18:00 AM »
DD saw the paint in the give away pile and now it is back in the cupboard.

If I'm reading the right post, those paints were dried out, correct? Toss them. If your DD has a fit, your DD will not die.

If however I'm misunderstanding and those paints are still good, then your DD had better start using them. Soon. Because if you get through the next month or two and she hasn't touched them, then out they go and she can have all the fits she wants - she had her chance.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4403 on: December 11, 2020, 11:22:15 AM »
Excellent job, everyone!

Recently:
~Mailed off a bunch of Harley Davidson items to a friend who still rides.
~There are two pairs of eyeglasses ready to be donated to the Lions Club bin.
~Will give a stack of cookbooks to a younger neighbor who likes to cook.  (I also have 3-ring binders with plastic sleeves for my old recipes.  Now days I just look up recipes online.)
~Focusing on using up last year's gift wrap, cards and bows in order to not buy anything new.
~Three gift bags full of Christmas decor, stockings, etc. went to families who might appreciate it a few weeks ago.
~Received a gorgeous food arrangement in a reusable basket.  My neighbor mentioned last weekend if I ever wanted to part with it....  So, when I do my annual holiday baking in a few weekends, I'll put what I bake for her family into said basket.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4404 on: December 11, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »

If I'm reading the right post, those paints were dried out, correct? Toss them. If your DD has a fit, your DD will not die.

If however I'm misunderstanding and those paints are still good, then your DD had better start using them. Soon. Because if you get through the next month or two and she hasn't touched them, then out they go and she can have all the fits she wants - she had her chance.
The dried out pots were in the garbage.  The ones back in the cupboard still have some juice.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4405 on: December 11, 2020, 01:57:47 PM »

The dried out pots were in the garbage.  The ones back in the cupboard still have some juice.

Cool! Your DD gets to do some painting soon.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4406 on: December 11, 2020, 07:40:41 PM »
Recycled last year's tax guide! Prompted by getting this year's. Now I know I don't need it after tax season is over, and will recycle the new one sooner.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4407 on: December 11, 2020, 08:01:33 PM »
I used up a bottle of shampoo! [I am working through the backlog of half-bottles]

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4408 on: December 11, 2020, 08:35:19 PM »
Sold a bunch of baby stuff in fb, tossed a pile of clothes the kids wore through.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4409 on: December 12, 2020, 03:36:27 PM »
Dropped off a bike with a friend. It's now out of our garage & back to its rightful owner. More space, & less mental energy worrying about getting it back

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4410 on: December 13, 2020, 06:17:16 AM »
I have to laugh, once in a while we turn on QVC and watch some of the products being demonstrated. Everything the hosts talk about is a must have. One of the hosts always says he has a set in a particular color. Seems he has one of everything that QVC has ever sold. Does he live in a warehouse? LOL! Every time I buy something I cringe because I have no more room for anything! I took a rosemary potted plant from outside and brought it in for the winter and it is almost impossible to find a surface to put it on.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4411 on: December 13, 2020, 09:36:59 AM »
Going to declutter my Xmas decorations because this is the time of year to donate. Also have another small closet to go through.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4412 on: December 13, 2020, 09:56:01 AM »
I consolidated bins and found some empty ones.  Don't need to store empty bins in the house.  When they are in the garage they naturally lessen in numbers.  They get loaded with stuff to give away or loaned out and never reappear.  They don't do that in the basement.  Four bins and two cardboard boxes left the house empty.  And two bins and one box need to be sorted through by DD.  If she doesn't undertake it be mid week I am going to help her out. 

@Cassie  - I have put up all the Xmas decor I want and there is one and a half bins still full of stuff.  I think it is time for a major purge for us too.  Three bins left the house last year! 

Do you all feel a weight being lifted whenever you get a major load out of the house?  I shake my head at myself - so much money spent, so much plastic generated forever.  I have got to do better.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4413 on: December 13, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
Do you all feel a weight being lifted whenever you get a major load out of the house?  I shake my head at myself - so much money spent, so much plastic generated forever.  I have got to do better.

Yes! Every time something leaves, I imagine the weight of the house lessening.

Since it's been just me, I've been pretty good at not bringing a lot of stuff in.  I'm starting to get better at getting rid of gifts I won't use, instead of letting them sit for years and years.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4414 on: December 13, 2020, 05:58:57 PM »
Accidental decluttering: cracked a champagne flute, tossed it out.

I did exactly the same thing this week. I couldn't decide if I needed all of the champagne flutes I had, then I broke one. So the universe worked it out for me :)

Went through all of the Xmas decor and got rid of half of it. A coworker that wanted a certain type of ornament got most of it. The rest went on the curb and were gone within a day. I'm working on using all of my Xmas cards before buying more, no matter how cheap they are on clearance.

Went through the coat and clothes closets. Have a box and two bags to drop off at Goodwill. I came home from work on Friday irritated with the pants and top I was wearing. I washed them and put them both straight in the donation pile. I'm trying to get rid of everything that doesn't make me feel good when I'm wearing it.  I'm slowly replacing with good quality items that work for me right now, not when I lose weight or change jobs or get a new hobby. I want my whole closet to work for me now.

I've stripped the bedroom of all the extraneous stuff including a duvet cover, shams, little rugs, and all the junk that accumulates on the nightstands.  Some items are going into a tub in the closet to decide if I still want them in 6 months. If not, I'll donate them. Right now it's warm and calming and simple.

The items that haven't sold on Marketplace are in the donation pile, too.

Small project this week has been starting a new habit of taking care of the mail as soon as I get it. The 'only touch it once' philosophy at work. Straight to recycling or pay the bill or read the letter/card. If I don't have time to do that, I don't go to the mailbox until I do. It's taking way less time than putting it aside, knocking over the pile, moving it from the table to eat dinner, moving it to the desk, adding to it, etc. Not letting clutter into the house!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4415 on: December 13, 2020, 06:21:55 PM »
Since the kitchen sink drain was getting very slow, I was under the kitchen sink today for my every-six-months 'clean the sludge out of the pipes' ritual.  Saw a gallon plastic bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap in the corner, leaking out of the bottom.

Since it had only about a quarter inch of product left in it, I took it out and put it somewhere I'll see it every day. I'll try to find something to use up that last quarter inch on, then throw out the empty jug. Can't recycle it, since it's got stuff stuck to it inside. 

One more gallon of free clean dry space under the kitchen sink. Ahhhhhhh......

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4416 on: December 14, 2020, 10:26:07 AM »
Since the kitchen sink drain was getting very slow, I was under the kitchen sink today for my every-six-months 'clean the sludge out of the pipes' ritual.  Saw a gallon plastic bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap in the corner, leaking out of the bottom.

Since it had only about a quarter inch of product left in it, I took it out and put it somewhere I'll see it every day. I'll try to find something to use up that last quarter inch on, then throw out the empty jug. Can't recycle it, since it's got stuff stuck to it inside. 

So, you have a mostly empty, leaking container of cleaning products that you don't use on a regular basis. Why are you keeping this again? You freed up the space under the sink. Free up the space wherever you put it and just toss it now.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4417 on: December 14, 2020, 11:43:05 AM »

So, you have a mostly empty, leaking container of cleaning products that you don't use on a regular basis. Why are you keeping this again? You freed up the space under the sink. Free up the space wherever you put it and just toss it now.

Reread my post, Sib.  I'm going to use it up, then toss it. Don't worry, if I can't find something to use it on, I'll just toss it with the quarter inch inside it too.   

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4418 on: December 14, 2020, 02:20:19 PM »

Reread my post, Sib.  I'm going to use it up, then toss it. Don't worry, if I can't find something to use it on, I'll just toss it with the quarter inch inside it too.   

What I would do is put the remaining liquid in a small container and throw out the original one.  Sometimes downsizing is just as satisfying as decluttering.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4419 on: December 15, 2020, 07:12:50 PM »
I'm with Sibley. If the Murphy's oil has been under under the sink since the last cabinet clean out six months ago and you don't need it, just toss it. It's a quarter inch of sludge in a cracked bottle, AKA trash.

Checked the mail and threw the crap in recycling. Wrote checks immediately for bills, stamped them, and put them in my bag to mail from work tomorrow.

Sold another item on Marketplace for $20, right before I was going to take the donations to Goodwill. Might wait another day to see if anything else sells, but not much longer. The box in the dining room is getting on my nerves. I could always put it in the trunk and drive it around for a while :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4420 on: December 16, 2020, 07:57:29 AM »
Figured out a Christmas card design using up a bunch of craft supplies and envelopes that I had from my brothers wedding invitations more than 10 years ago. 

DD went through her two boxes of stuff.  One is totally ready for donation. The other box got stored away in her father's closet space - fine with me.  It can live there for as long as he doesn't need the space. 

I need to get the accumulating pile in the garage dropped off this week.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4421 on: December 16, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »
I was looking for family photos that one of my kids could use for a school project.
I found a cache of 2019 Christmas photo cards sent by friends and extended family. I was delighted to give him some cards to cut up, and to toss the rest. 

I'm preparing to send a small box of Christmas decorations to my elderly mother.  I am slowly getting over my resentment of her using our home as overflow storage, as I gradually clear the house of the immense crudstorm that engulfed us when I emptied her house.  We just gave away a giant framed print that she made us take last time we visited her... the stupid thing dominated our living room for months because the garage was too damp, it wouldn't fit up the attic hatchway, and the other rooms were too full. 

In a record fast turnaround, we turned some lumber I bought last month into garden trellises. Usually one could expect this stuff to age a few years in our garage, but Mr. Poundwise took charge and got the job done.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4422 on: December 17, 2020, 03:32:53 PM »
I was the recipient of evidence of someone else's decluttering yesterday. My great aunt, who is probably in her 90s, sent me a Christmas card in a very nonstandard envelope. Included was a stack of pictures of me, from babyhood til adulthood, and a note that she found them while cleaning out a closet and thought I might like them.

I don't know that I needed the evidence of my terrible taste in haircuts over the years, but I guess I have it now and will add to the box of pictures in the desk. Box can stay.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4423 on: December 17, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »
Managed to sell 2 DVDs today and made about $7, which is more than I expected to get for DVDs.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4424 on: December 19, 2020, 10:53:19 AM »
Filled a pretty zippered bag with travel toiletries and put it in the little food pantry in my neighborhood.
Sold an item on Marketplace.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4425 on: December 19, 2020, 09:01:44 PM »
Decluttered a sweater that brought bad memories of an old relationship, and a hand mixer which suddenly died.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4426 on: December 19, 2020, 09:03:12 PM »
Two bags and  two shirts donated, 2 books and a magazine in the street library

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4427 on: December 20, 2020, 07:16:31 AM »
Cleaned out a junk drawer and found $5.50 worth of first-class stamps.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4428 on: December 20, 2020, 08:58:52 AM »
Finally recycled an old, empty Kikkoman soy sauce container I had been keeping in the cupboard for its interesting shape.

If I suddenly need an empty  Kikkoman container, that's OK, ha ha.         

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4429 on: December 20, 2020, 08:44:16 PM »
@slackmax, great job on letting go of the container!

Used up some fabric and notions when a friend needed some clothes for a gift. Sent her home with more items so she could make more. Craft stash is a very reasonable size now.

More Xmas supplies used for wrapping. I've inventoried current supplies and don't need any gift wrapping stuff on post-holiday clearance, no cards, no tags, no ribbons, no boxes, no matter how deep the discount. It all fits nicely in one container.

I've cleaned out the closets so much that I have a bag of cheap plastic hangers to donate. I'm only keeping the nice velvety hangers. My clothes will be kept in better shape and it will limit the clothes I bring in. No hangers, no room.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #4430 on: December 21, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »
Finally located a clothing donation box which was not overflowing so I was able to donate a big bag of clothes yesterday! I’ve decided during this pandemic that I won’t hang on to anything I don’t feel good wearing / routinely avoid in my daily clothing rotations. (Work clothes excepted, of course...I may need to go into the office sometime in the future...) So anyway that’s out of the house now!

I also dropped a big bag of books in the little free library box around the block from us. Eventually I’d like to also purge more of our old textbooks but for now all of our books fit into our bookshelves so it’s a step in the right direction.

I’ve been trying to declutter my yarn stash by using up the little bits in baby gifts. It’s fun and creative and I don’t have to buy anything, so wins all around. Admittedly my yarn stash is fairly large, so I’ll be knitting for a while :)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4431 on: December 21, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
Took the donations to Goodwill the day after I loaded them in the car! My closet is roomy enough to see everything but I still feel like I have plenty to wear. The kitchen is in a good place with all drawers and cabinets spacious and easy to access. No more items stacked in precarious piles or having to unload the entire drawer to get to the bottom items.

Cleaned off the desk and recycled some bits and found homes for all the stuff on top. Wrote a thank you for a gift that came in and got a birthday card in the mail. The stationery box is still full but not overflowing.

Brought home a box from work to wrap a bulky gift. It didn't fit, so the box is back in the car to return to work. I'm not going to hold onto it in case I need it for something else. Worst case scenario I'll just stick a bow on the bulky gift and hand it over that way.

Going to start a small sewing project to use up some more fabric scraps. Doll clothes are such a satisfying way to use up small fabric pieces and spools of random thread.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4432 on: December 21, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
I bought many boxes of yogurt tubes my children USED to like on clearance for 1$ each. I froze them all as they were near expiration.

All gone, someone on Buy Nothing has less picky children!

H came home with a big bag of Christmas bows, ugh. I was feeling quite pleased that we used down everything until we had less than a shoebox full of wrapping supplies.

So overall we are neutral!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4433 on: December 22, 2020, 04:09:13 AM »
I’m at my mother’s new condo and her fridge is on its last leg so we are trying to postpone grocery shopping as long as possible.  The appliances here are all probably 20 years old and when I used the oven last night it had dust in it.  Her baking powder expired in 2007, 13 years ago so that will also be disappearing. 

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4434 on: December 22, 2020, 04:35:22 AM »
Today while I isolate for my Covid test results I did a konmarie clothing clearout. Big bag of clothes in the boot of the car ready for end of lockdown. So crazy when I've already done this 3 times in the last 2 years.

Tomorrow is books or paper, or both. And hopefully a test result so I can go walk the dog!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4435 on: December 22, 2020, 05:49:23 AM »
I was doing the Christmas baking and using up as many of the ingredients I had around the house already.  With two celiacs in the house, we have a lot of different types of flours.  I found two empty jars in the baking cupboard.  I adapted some recipes to use up small bags of different nuts I "found" in the freezer.  I discovered three different bags of hazelnuts. 

There are a lot of random packages in the pantry - I pointed some of them out to the kids.  Hopefully they get consumed or if they aren't tasty, composted.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4436 on: December 22, 2020, 05:38:14 PM »
Tired of the freezer door banging into a box next to it, so I allowed myself to 'just move stuff around' in the kitchen. I would much rather actually get rid of stuff than just move it around, but it made sense here. I put a few things under other things, inserted stuff into empty containers, and now  they take up less space.

And I can open the freezer door easily now.

Went though a drawer full of expired medicine and nutritional supplements and tossed some  of it. For some reason, that is difficult for me to do.   

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4437 on: December 22, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »
Some pants I ordered didn't fit as well as I hoped, so I packed them up to send back for exchange and got the package out of the house the next day.  Normally a task like that would sit on my dining table for a week or two before I got around to it.  Fortunately DH had an errand at the UPS store, so I made sure to have my stuff packed up in time to go with him.

Also moved a shirt I've been iffy on to the donate box.  Two sweaters soon to join it, as soon as they're clean.

ETA: Almost forgot!  I also wrote several holiday cards with old stationary, that will be mailed out tomorrow.  I think some of these cards have come with me through three moves!  I don't usually send Christmas cards, but this year decided our extended family could use the extra contact.  Also used some (unasked for) return address stickers that were sent to us by a charity.  I prefer to use them rather than just throw away.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 06:25:46 PM by Raenia »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4438 on: December 22, 2020, 07:16:12 PM »
@slackmax that is all good news - a more usable space AND you got rid of expired things. You keep making slow and steady progress, thank you for sharing it with us. It is very inspiring.

Today I got rid of a pile of boxes that were cluttering the living room. I also decided to donate a pair of trousers I made a couple of years ago. (I am waiting till Autumn to donate various jerseys)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4439 on: December 22, 2020, 10:23:45 PM »
ETA: Almost forgot!  I also wrote several holiday cards with old stationary, that will be mailed out tomorrow.  I think some of these cards have come with me through three moves!  I don't usually send Christmas cards, but this year decided our extended family could use the extra contact.  Also used some (unasked for) return address stickers that were sent to us by a charity.  I prefer to use them rather than just throw away.

Great work @Raenia!! You inspire me to do the same. I stopped sending cards a while ago and my stationery box is too full to close. I'll write a few cards for New Year's especially to the older folks.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4440 on: December 23, 2020, 02:37:25 AM »
@slackmax that is all good news - a more usable space AND you got rid of expired things. You keep making slow and steady progress, thank you for sharing it with us. It is very inspiring.

I agree with this: well done.  Every time you post something like this it tells me that you have been able to take a clear-eyed look at a part of your house which is a problem and put a solution in place, which is a great indicator that you will end up with everything as you want it to be.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4441 on: December 23, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »
With a kid on the way I have decided to make some room. Need to clear some space in our 1br apt for the boy and the in-laws. Only way this is going to work is if we can empty some shelves and storage bins.

Today, heading to the Salvation Army to donate some computer speakers, a web cam, pair of shoes, a pile of clothes, my Yankees hat, some dishes, a coke bottle of colorful sand from childhood, some hot wheels cars, base ball cards, a mirror, a vacuum, a hydro floss machine, empty picture frames, foot bath massager, and a stack of books.

Some things I couldn’t part with yet but considered: magic cards, Xbox 360 games, book of Norman Rockwell paintings, a book of fish species that reminds me of grandma, some clothes from my in-laws, bag of old headphones, my old iPod, old GoPro.

Still have more to go through, but was a good first trip. Hoping to make it through the whole house and storage unit in the basement before the new year. Less is more. Going to really struggle with my box sentimental value stuff. Really don’t need any of it, just like to look at it once every couple years when I move. Tough to let go.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4442 on: December 23, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »
There was a recent minimal mom video where she talked about the choices being Having Options vs Freedom (from inventory management/cleaning/repairs) and that you can seldom have both. You can trade off where you decide having options is worth it but the price is all the associated loss of freedom.

It seemed like a good model to keep in mind as I relook at my house these holidays.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4443 on: December 23, 2020, 03:50:52 PM »
Tired of the freezer door banging into a box next to it, so I allowed myself to 'just move stuff around' in the kitchen. I would much rather actually get rid of stuff than just move it around, but it made sense here. I put a few things under other things, inserted stuff into empty containers, and now  they take up less space.

And I can open the freezer door easily now.

Went though a drawer full of expired medicine and nutritional supplements and tossed some  of it. For some reason, that is difficult for me to do.   

I wonder if your difficulty getting rid of old food and food-like items is because they don’t go through the “try to sell it first” process?  You seem able to get rid of things that have passed through the flea market and not sold, maybe because other peoples’ lack of interest confirms in your mind that the items are not valuable?  If so, then remembering that no item is valuable if you’re not getting use out of it or if it’s detracting from enjoying your environment may be helpful.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4444 on: December 24, 2020, 03:29:50 PM »
Went through 2 kids bedrooms in the last 2 days. Resulted in an overflowing paper container and stuff to be sold on Marketplace. First items were already sold and left the house. But the most important thing is that the kids now really enjoy their clean and decluttered room. They really appreciate the benefit of this exercise, although during the process there were a lot of complaints....

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4445 on: December 24, 2020, 08:35:40 PM »
Out of the first haul we were able to get rid of most of the items locally before going to Salvation Army.

Because we are not allowed to set items out in front of our building, DW and I drove to the park and set everything out. Was really cool seeing people get excited about finding certain items in the free box as we observed from the car without them knowing.

On two occasions kids got really excited about their finds, one for baseball cards and one for a video game. Their reaction alone was worth the extra effort.

In the end we brought the remaining items to Salvation Army and were happy to see them go. Still have some work to do, but it is nice to let go of some things and watch the clutter disappear a little.

Also called my mom and asked for a gift receipt for my Christmas present - she had gifted me an item that while thoughtful did not have much utility other than decoration. Was an awkward conversation, but hopefully in the future we can avoid receiving “stuff” - in my defense I have on many occasions stated that I don’t want anymore stuff due to our small apartment.

Anyhow - has been a nice change in thought pattern in the last few days. Think I’m finally going to be able to let go of some of this stuff. Going from, “I could sell this some day” or “I can use these someday, won’t have to buy in the future” to “I don’t need this”

Truth is I don’t need 9 flashlights, 50 lighters, two sets of uno cards, 3 slinky’s, 20 umbrellas, or 20 pairs of hotel sandals. I can and should have less things, even if that means rebuying them some day.

Now I am thinking, “how many items do I actually use and need?” Or “how many items do I need to be happy?”

There is so much waste in my life - the idea of trying to have as few items in your possession as possible is like a lightbulb turning on. I think it’s why I like ultralight backpacking so much, forces you to get by with nothing. Learning about minimalism for the first time is like learning about FI/RE for the first time. Like, “Oh, of course! It all makes sense!!”

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 08:38:25 PM by Steeze »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4446 on: December 26, 2020, 01:59:26 AM »
So for once I think I ended up with less stuff after Xmas than before. We had a $20 and limited gift giving code of practice. I found some things I thought my extended family members might want, and they did! Cleared out a whole shelf of the side-board where these items were stored and also a wrought iron garden seat that they decided they wanted to restore. I also sent home various family members with some of the excess food and grog...happy days.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4447 on: December 26, 2020, 08:22:14 AM »
We finished Christmas with a fair bit more than we started with, but luckily most is either useful (Dad got me car ramps for DIY oil changes), consumable, or replaces something we already have.  Mom got us a nice set of matching cloth napkins to replace our mismatched IKEA napkins, and our big gift to ourselves was a (full!) set of (matching!) silverware to replace our thrift store mismatch set.  We were tired of running out of spoons.  Old silverware is packed up and in the donate box.  I'm running laundry today, then the old napkins can join them.

Last night at dinner I decided to light a few novelty candles we were given last year.  They're silly looking, but we might as well use them.  I'll keep them on the table and aim to have a few candlelit dinners until they're used up.

Brought a spare bookshelf up from the basement to the library to help neaten some clutter.  While tidying up, I culled a few books.  I plan to spend some more time there today and hopefully get the room back in some semblance of usability (it's currently the dumping ground for things that belong in parts of the house that are under construction).  Hoping to find more things to declutter as I work there.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4448 on: December 26, 2020, 12:34:09 PM »
Continued the effort today!

DW and I made it through the remaining clothes and are giving away all the things that we don’t use. For her it was a lot of clothes her mom bought her over the years that she didn’t like, for me it was a stack of old t-shirts that I’ve kept around due to sentimental value.

Also went through the kitchen and packed away all the extra stuff we don’t need to use. We are down to just two sets of dishes and silverware, along with about half the pots and pans. Everything else will go to storage. Also getting rid of some lids and knives we don’t need.

Things I’m having trouble parting with: Suits & ties my mom bought me when neither of us could afford it. I never ended up needing them, only used them for a couple interviews, and at this point wouldn’t wear them even to an interview. Not sure why I can’t part with them, just feel like I’m wasting my mom’s money? Also, I have at least 6 winter coats. I like them all. Made more sense when I lived in the mountains.

Things DW is struggling with: old cellphones and lap tops, and (20) umbrellas and dozens of hotel slippers from her Dad. (Why 20?!!?)

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #4449 on: December 26, 2020, 12:38:32 PM »
...our big gift to ourselves was a (full!) set of (matching!) silverware to replace our thrift store mismatch set.  We were tired of running out of spoons.  Old silverware is packed up and in the donate box.  I'm running laundry today, then the old napkins can join them...

Nice progress! If you haven't donated the old silverware yet, think about if you ever need to pack lunches and keep 1-2 spoons and/or forks from the mismatched set for this purpose. That way your nice new complete set is always for only at home and your mismatches are for travel/lunches away and potentially picnics

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!