Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 809179 times)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4700 on: February 03, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache has inspired me and I listed three things on eBay last night for the first time. Fingers crossed. It makes me ridiculously nervous! What if I mess up and an internet stranger gets mad at me?!?  But naw. Hope they sell but I need still need to build in some personal deadlines and donate if they don’t.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4701 on: February 03, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »
@PMG - yay! Just remember, it takes practice, and while most transaction do go well, you will probably learn a bit along the way. Once you get the hang of it, I find it super easy & fun.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4702 on: February 03, 2021, 02:01:44 PM »
I gave a big snuffle mat to an acquaintance from the dog park who mentioned that her dog loves them. Mine doesn't and the darned thing took up valuable real estate in my little kitchen.

I'm working my way through the assorted fabrics in my linen closet and have a question for you clever folks. Can you think of any uses for formal table cloths in a home that only sees dinner parties once a decade? I've inherited several and they feel superfluous.

Plina

• Bristles
« Reply #4703 on: February 03, 2021, 03:02:24 PM »
I gave a big snuffle mat to an acquaintance from the dog park who mentioned that her dog loves them. Mine doesn't and the darned thing took up valuable real estate in my little kitchen.

I'm working my way through the assorted fabrics in my linen closet and have a question for you clever folks. Can you think of any uses for formal table cloths in a home that only sees dinner parties once a decade? I've inherited several and they feel superfluous.

My parents use their during christmas and other family gatherings like bigger birthdays, christenings etc. I recently used mine when I got an colleague over for a covid christmas dinner with takeout instead of a companywide outing at a restaurant. I have decided to use my ”good” everything. I have seen so many people use specific china only for christmas or special occassions. I gave away the cheap glasses and use the expensive ones etc. When I have guests over I use the linen napkins instead of paper. So my suggestion is to use them to spruce things up occasionnally.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:41:32 PM by Plina »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4704 on: February 03, 2021, 03:45:09 PM »

I'd give them away to a local Buy Nothing or similar group. I think these would be popular items, and if you are never using them, I'd want them out of my house

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4705 on: February 03, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »
Would they make good daily use napkins? Or dish towels if they are linen.

okisok

• Bristles
« Reply #4706 on: February 03, 2021, 06:47:52 PM »
Quote from: okcisok link=topic=87194.msg2776899#msg2776899 date=1611108677

Next stop--actually drop donations off instead of driving them around town for another week!
[/quote

OK, so that was 1/19, and I just dropped off the donations on 1/31. A little over a week, but they're gone!

Helped SO clean out two trash bags of donate-able items from a cabinet. Now you can get items from it without causing a mini avalanche. His place still needs work but that's up to him with small help from me.

Found another small bag awaiting me in the kitchen when I got back from the donation drop-off. Darn. But there's still room to put more stuff in it, so I am trying to fill it up.

Still taking care of mail when it comes in. Either acted on or straight into recycling.

oneday

• Magnum Stache
  • Knit, bike, breathe. Repeat. - 94
« Reply #4707 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:36 PM »
Well, this is very interesting! Seems the objective is to reuse your cardboard boxes by filling them with clothes or other useful household items. You can print a FREE label and either take the box to the shipping company or have them pick it up at your house! The boxes are sent to various charities. If you wish to send to a specific charity, you pay the shipping. Otherwise, shipping is free. Check it out!

https://www.givebackbox.com/faq#

This may come in handy soon, as I'm moving and will eventually have extra boxes, thanks!

crocheted_stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4708 on: February 03, 2021, 10:32:26 PM »
Discovered I had two copies of the identical 1980-ish Sunset book about patio and deck designs. Oops.

Also discovered one area charity that's open for donations, even if it's not my favorite. Time to go unload a year's worth of stuff that's been piling up in bags.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4709 on: February 04, 2021, 05:58:47 AM »
Thanks for the ideas PMG, MaybeBabyMustache, Plina! I'll go through them and pick one or two to use, see if I can make any into napkins, and give the remainder away!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4710 on: February 04, 2021, 08:31:16 AM »
-Got rid of roll of 25-30 feet of brown wrapping paper on Buy Nothing. (Someone is moving)
-Have takers for our old Rainbow Loom stuff. There's so much of it. Thrilled to get it out of the garage
-Discovered three things in the kids room that can be returned to Costco. (Ski stuff, unused with tags. We won't ski this year, and they will outgrow before next season).
-Went through our medicine cabinet. Tossed some expired stuff
-My husband briefly gave me the green light to go through his closet. He's now almost revoked that, because I've discovered he has 18 of the same type of shirts. This is no joke. I did manage to gather a bunch of stuff to donate or sell, while i had my chance. I need to go slowly, so he agrees to have me continue.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4711 on: February 04, 2021, 07:51:45 PM »

Make a snuffle mat?  LOL

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4712 on: February 05, 2021, 09:34:07 AM »
One paperback out of the house to a Paperback Swap recipient.

Fulfilled several in search of posts on Buy Nothing.  Sometimes it takes knowing a neighbor would use the item to give me the nudge to rehome it.  I gave away a pile of adult clothes, toddler snow pants, and a muffin tin (I had 3!).  I find meeting a specific need more fulfilling as the gifter because sometimes when you post a giveaway it's just a pile of "Interested" and no real context.

I also did a bunch of organizing in the kids' room.  DD has a very hard time parting with things, but I need everything corralled for my sanity.  Interestingly, once everything was off the floor and in containers, only a select few toys are actually being played with.  I figure I can rotate which bins are most accessible so things get played with.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4713 on: February 05, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »

Depending on the fabric and the size, many tablecloths actually make great babywearing wraps.  One of my most versatile wraps is half a 60"x120" tablecloth.

http://wiki.babywearingdiy.com/do/view/Main/TableclothBabywearing#:~:text=Tablecloth%20Babywearing,of%20buying%20Colima%C3%A7on%20et%20Cie.)

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4714 on: February 05, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »
Side note to decluttering: Recently I have been finding things I either have forgotten about, or never knew I had. Example: 
I was thinking of buying a VHS tape rewinder to save my VCR motor. Well, I was looking for some cable wire under my TV table, and voila!
I found a tape rewinder.   

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4715 on: February 05, 2021, 04:44:09 PM »
Used up an aerosol can of saline wound wash yesterday that was purchased in 2008.  I now have 2 bags of random clothes and housewares to go to my fave thrift store when they’re open. I have a grocery delivery coming Sun AM so trying to eat down the stock. My mom is here to take care of me post surgery so I feel like my place is busting at the seams with all our clothing and toiletries! 

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4716 on: February 05, 2021, 05:05:42 PM »
Listed and almost immediately sold a paper shredder.  It’s still a mystery to me what non-furniture things will actually sell on Marketplace.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #4717 on: February 05, 2021, 06:24:01 PM »
I want to get rid of my yearbooks and looked to see if the pdfs would be available on line.  No dice unfortunately.  I bet that's the way of the future though. 

oneday

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4718 on: February 05, 2021, 07:08:21 PM »
@Blissful Biker if you hear of a service that converts them, I'd be interested!

Today found the source of the larvae that have been appearing on the kitchen ceiling on and off: an open bag of cornmeal and an open bag of oatmeal. Also tossed an open box of breadcrumbs without checking because it was old. Ick. But the kitchen is more sanitary now.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #4719 on: February 05, 2021, 08:31:04 PM »
I do a whole home declutter just about once a quarter because I live in a small space and it fills up quickly. Also I am planning a move next year and looking at things I haven't used since the pandemic began and evaluating their utility in the next year. Today I got rid of some makeup, pajamas, and a set of 4 bowls. I'm considering getting rid of some of the outdoor furniture on my balcony.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4720 on: February 06, 2021, 07:43:22 AM »
My library is now accepting donations again, and I dropped off a nice heavy bag of 5 books yesterday.  More space in the house now. I had been undecided about keeping or donating these books for a while. I do not miss them. Glad they're gone.

draco44

• Stubble
« Reply #4721 on: February 06, 2021, 08:49:53 AM »
I want to get rid of my yearbooks and looked to see if the pdfs would be available on line.  No dice unfortunately.  I bet that's the way of the future though.

If you reach a point where you're willing to give them away without having an electronic backup, I once donated mine to a local history museum's collection. It only works if you are the first one to offer donating a particular year's book, however.

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4722 on: February 06, 2021, 10:35:35 AM »
If anyone needs more motivation to keep decluttering, here's some:  a local man just died in his house when he couldn't get out when it caught fire, because of his hoard.  Lots of papers and cardboard apparently.  He came to the window on the second floor where neighbours were urging him to jump, then left the window and wasn't seen again.  So bloody unnecessary.  So keep at it, everyone!

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4723 on: February 06, 2021, 11:52:54 AM »
I was looking for my silicone muffin tin yesterday, and ended up pulling everything out of that cabinet and tidying it up. Put two mini-muffin tins and one regular size in the give away box. Other than that not much de-cluttering happening lately as work is starting to get busy again.

I do need to list two kitchen stools, but it is snowing and too cold out for porch pick up, so I might just stick them in the garage for now until it is nicer out. I do want them out of my entry way asap.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4724 on: February 06, 2021, 05:07:01 PM »
-Sold another item on eBay
-Went through a variety of closets & found 5 more items to sell or donate

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4725 on: February 06, 2021, 07:28:46 PM »
Went through the kitchen cabinets yet again, and finally took out some pots, pans, and bakeware I'm never going to use, so will sell/donate.  Also threw out some bakeware that's seen better days.  Threw out some old loose teas.  Took everything off the fridge - put magnets in a baggie to be moved, and photos in an album.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4726 on: February 07, 2021, 05:58:44 AM »
I'm doing a refresh of bedroom decor. It is currently also my office and I am sick of looking at it. So a few things went out:
-two cheap Ikea prints in frames (Buy nothing)
-two end tables that are going to leave the bedroom for awhile while I think about if I am temporarily tired of them or permanently tired of them haha. A couple flimsy/small tray tables will temporarily replace them in the bedroom while I ponder.

I will also be painting a wall a new color and I might swap the living room and bedroom lamps for some wild excitement in my life.

Other things going out:
-a hanging calendar the kids no longer use
-a too small winter coat (swapping for homemade crackers with a neighbor, I am the clear winner in this trade!)
-2 not nonstick frying pans, swapping for one that is actually nonstick!

I bought DS two small bins to store projects in. He has been working on electrical projects that he has lots of bits and pieces for, which get spread everywhere. I told him he could have each container of he gets rid of three things. So far he has claimed the first one, releasing 2 birthday decorations and a chapstick holder thing. This appears to be a good method for him. He likes to keep things "just in case" but then doesn't keep things organized and can't find it when he needs it. But when properly motivated he will make a trade.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #4727 on: February 07, 2021, 09:17:52 AM »
If anyone needs more motivation to keep decluttering, here's some:  a local man just died in his house when he couldn't get out when it caught fire, because of his hoard.  Lots of papers and cardboard apparently.  He came to the window on the second floor where neighbours were urging him to jump, then left the window and wasn't seen again.  So bloody unnecessary.  So keep at it, everyone!

If anyone needs a new Youtube series to follow: Curiosity Inc just took on their second hoarder home. There's a whole series on Youtube under the name Musician's House. The old lady used to be a piano teacher but turns out... a millionaire. She inherited a ton of stuff from her parents (her father was a famous tailor). She apparently loved jewelry and fashion, because the house was full of it. The house has been cleared now, the first auction (jewelry) brought a whopping 285,000 CAD and the second (household stuff) 90,000 CAD. Third auction (misc items and some jewelry) is next Saturday.

This is the first video of that series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQnKYVUArIo

Alex Archbold, the guy behind Curiosity Inc, is a genuinely good egg. He's very respectful to the people who hoarded and always makes sure to do a little background on them as people, not as hoarders. Highly, highly recommend the first house he did too: the Potter's House.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4728 on: February 07, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »
Another kitchen cabinet person here!  For some reason I noticed all the mystery stuff in the back 3 feet of one of the cabinets under the kitchen counter. Sigh. A whole bunch of decisions to make. What a pain. Oh well, just do it. It's not that big a deal, right? 

And look! There's a bunch of plastic lids. And some empty glass jars. Easy stuff. Recycle them, and put a few of the nicer glass jars into the jar box! 

I made myself take one side out first, and just look at it all. Feeling like I was doing something wrong, but hey, you're just crazy, accept it, this will always feel wrong, even though it's right. Just do it. It's right. Keep going.

End result was I filled up a big recycling container with glass and plastic stuff, and moved a bunch of sellable stuff to the flea market pile. And even threw out some stuff that was just way too far gone. Like three jars of French powdered mustard
whose metal lids had actually rusted through. Wow. Don't want to be eating flaked lid metal, so those were easy to throw out.

The cabinet is almost empty now. Yay. And I found some neat stuff I didn't even know I had, like an electric  mixer, and some other neat cooking tools, that I can make use of.         

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4729 on: February 07, 2021, 06:32:29 PM »
Good going, Slackmax!  You’re not crazy, you just need to think about things differently than you have been.  Feel the pain and do it anyway!  Feelings come and go, but you don’t need to make your decisions based on them.  Chances are that you’ve never missed anything you’ve let go so far, and look what you’ve gained - space!  Satisfying, no?

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #4730 on: February 07, 2021, 07:59:52 PM »

If anyone needs a new Youtube series to follow: Curiosity Inc just took on their second hoarder home.

Thanks for the reminder. I watched the first dozen videos in December when I was home sick, then never finished watching them. It was highly motivating to see so much stuff that used to be very expensive reduced to a few fantastic finds mixed in with tons of things that had to go out as garbage.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4731 on: February 07, 2021, 09:51:55 PM »
Today it was pretty nice for February in Idaho, so I did a little decluttering outdoors. Got the burn barrel going and torched some small scrap wood and branches, and part of the Christmas tree. Picked up some broken up pieces of concrete and moved them up where they can go out with the trash. Repurposed an unused squat rack as storage for additional scrap wood that had been haphazardly stowed in the back corner of our yard.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4732 on: February 08, 2021, 05:49:27 AM »
Congratulations @horsepoor , that sounds like an ambitious day and a great workout!

Dutch Comfort

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4733 on: February 08, 2021, 06:28:15 AM »
Jay!!!!! another oven-dish sold and out of our house. It was a nice one, but after 8 years still stuck in its original box. Seems like I did not need it after all....... well, let's say it was from my pre-MMM time.....
I need to clear out my kitchen again, since my kitchen cupboard is overflowing..... mostly food items, so need to make the family EAT IT ALL!!!!! We started with sausage rolls for lunch!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4734 on: February 08, 2021, 07:33:43 AM »
The decluttering effort is making small steps forward.  Sold about half of my diaper stash a few weeks ago and made a decent dent in the formal living room/dining room this weekend.  I've still got about 5 boxes of kid's clothes that I'm going to sell/donate.  And a big box of baby/toddler books that will be dropped off at the thrift store this afternoon if my coworkers with new kids/grandkids don't want them.  And I've got to find somewhere to put the boxes of xmas decorations.  But, it's getting there. 

My husband, who has always shaded towards being a packrat (as does his father and our son), has been taking a medication for the last 8-12 months that has a known side effect of compulsive behavior disorders and it's been manifesting itself as compulsive collecting of rocks.  So, I've been trying to keep that collection from invading the house.  My son did admit this weekend that we have too much stuff and he knows I'm not purging stuff in order to be mean.  That's a nice change.  He even helped clean up this weekend without too much bitching. 

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #4735 on: February 08, 2021, 01:08:36 PM »
Found out that a pandemic is an excellent time to be selling boardgames! Six of them out the door and a nice sum in my pocket (it pays to keep things in good shape!!) Also made my sister happy by giving her my stand mixer (used only once).

Also angling to get rid of my tv... but I don't know what I'd do with the empty wall?? I don't really want to buy more stuff just to fill a vacuum.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4736 on: February 08, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »
Found out that a pandemic is an excellent time to be selling boardgames! Six of them out the door and a nice sum in my pocket (it pays to keep things in good shape!!)

What's your secret?  No one has seemed interested in purchasing any of my boardgames.

Sent out a DVD today.  Profit was only $2.71, but better than nothing.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4737 on: February 08, 2021, 07:18:43 PM »
Gave away (via Buy Nothing / FB Parent Groups)
- hanging storage organizers
- bridesmaids dress that's two sizes too big
- decorative wine bottle holder
- four pint glasses

Sold (via FB Parent Group)
- infant travel system
- heated mattress pad (ppu)

Thrown Out/Recycled
- kids' art / old KiwiCo projects
- chipped/old glasswear
- broken kids' drinking glasses

I tried to take our e-waste to be recycled last week and the darned drop off site wasn't accepting donations! I can't fault them - Covid-related precautions - but that wasn't on the website. I just want someone to take my old iPhones! I was hoping to stick with free city drop offs, but now I'm hunting down other sites. I also have yet to shred my paper, as I'd like to watch it happen but everywhere I've found simply puts it in a locked box for mass shredding at a secure site. Some of my documents are old tax returns and, call me paranoid, but I don't want to deal with identity theft - so not a chance I'm taking.

T-minus five weeks until the move. I'm pleased with the progress we're making!

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #4738 on: February 08, 2021, 11:50:10 PM »
Also angling to get rid of my tv... but I don't know what I'd do with the empty wall?? I don't really want to buy more stuff just to fill a vacuum.

Maybe you can rearrange your room? If your room tends to be centred around the TV, it is no wonder that you feel something would be off if the TV was not there anymore.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4739 on: February 09, 2021, 07:37:02 AM »
-Sold another two items on eBay. Will get them packaged & out of the house today.
-Went through the other side of our medicine cabinet & found expired stuff. Tossed that, recycled the containers.
-Continuing to discreetly go through my husband's closet (I have his permission, but he is a bit more of a pack rat. I've agreed to group like items, make a pile of suggested donations, etc). I can only do a bit at a time, so it's taken me a while.

Weisass

• Stubble
« Reply #4740 on: February 09, 2021, 08:17:13 AM »
Well, I just successfully rehomed a large box of DVDs, a bunch of PS2 games, and a dozen or so outfits for 12-24 month kiddos.  Slowly making my way through the churn of unnecessary items that comes with having kiddos. But feeling like progress is being made.

next up: goal is to go through our small attic. There is not a ton of junk up there since we moved to our house in 2017, but I would really like to clear it out, because I think we may be able to finish it and make use of it for our kids. That means we can't keep stuff up there, though. So I force some work clearing out books, old craft supplies that have no realistic use, and finding a new space to put a few things (suitcases, eg) that don't get a lot of regular use. you know, the usual.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4741 on: February 10, 2021, 11:37:20 AM »
Found out that a pandemic is an excellent time to be selling boardgames! Six of them out the door and a nice sum in my pocket (it pays to keep things in good shape!!)

What's your secret?  No one has seemed interested in purchasing any of my boardgames.

If they are in good condition, I'd try Facebook Marketplace and a reasonable price ($5 each or so).  I've bought several this way.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4742 on: February 10, 2021, 12:06:47 PM »

If they are in good condition, I'd try Facebook Marketplace and a reasonable price ($5 each or so).  I've bought several this way.

I've had them listed there for $5, but no bites.  I have them all together as a group, maybe I'll try breaking them up in to individual posts.

In other news, I just listed my kayak for sale :(  :(  I suppose it doesn't make sense to keep it at this point.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4743 on: February 10, 2021, 04:33:11 PM »
The agony of the single sock.

Sigh.

So many single socks.

okisok

• Bristles
« Reply #4744 on: February 10, 2021, 06:02:45 PM »
I've watched both hoarder house series on the Curiosity Inc channel so far, and it's wonderful! They are so kind and respectful to the previous owners of the homes and their workers. They return financial documents, family photos, etc to the families.
They find really cool things, too! To echo another poster, it is really sad to see gorgeous, expensive items that might have been crushed or burnt if the Archbolds weren't willing to sort through everything.

In decluttering my own home, I've gotten rid of two undershirts that I was going to mend (again), but they were too far gone. Also out with some worn cleaning rags and a kitchen towel I'd already mended twice. I turned some bath towels into unpaper towels since I had a few too many of the former and not quite enough of the latter.

I've found it's really helpful to set a boundary on items. For instance, I like to have a dozen unpaper towels, but was down to 7. I only need three bath towels, but had 8. So I turned one bath towel into kitchen towels and am donating the rest. I don't need to hold onto the other 6 bath towels just in case. I can get new ones in less than 20 minutes for under $20 (thanks to Erica Lucas' YouTube channel on minimalism for that metric!). The extras are in good shape, so they're off to bless someone else who is transitioning from homelessness into housing.

oneday

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4745 on: February 10, 2021, 08:01:28 PM »
Many old reels of Super8 film tossed, after converted to digital. Now they only take up space on my hard drive.

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4746 on: February 10, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »

Sigh.

So many single socks.

Perform some (mis)match making duties and pair them up!  As long as they’re similar weights and colours, they don’t have to look exactly the same.  Who sees them under pants anyway?

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #4747 on: February 11, 2021, 03:03:07 AM »

Sigh.

So many single socks.

Perform some (mis)match making duties and pair them up!  As long as they’re similar weights and colours, they don’t have to look exactly the same.  Who sees them under pants anyway?

I feel the difference of odd socks.  Can't do it.

We don't have odd socks.  Always wash them in pairs.  (There are only two of us).  When we had kids, we had endless single socks.

Dutch Comfort

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4748 on: February 11, 2021, 05:00:59 AM »
Checked the ice skates (we finally have ice here!) and found a pair that is way too small for our youngest. So onto Craigslist it goes! Already found a 2nd hand pair for replacement for him on Craigslist as well. Found another pair for myself while I already have a newer pair. So the old pair will go (on BuyNothing, since they are from my childhood years...... so quite old).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4749 on: February 11, 2021, 01:49:22 PM »
Organized our spare toiletries into two areas. I can now see everything we have, which is a tremendous help when planning, budgeting & just deciding what to buy. I'm way over stocked on most toiletries, which is great. Now we can use those items & not buy more. Organization for the win!