Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249427 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #2400 on: April 22, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »
In and out! A friend gave us some clothes. We immediately tried them on and grabbed what fit, and will be re homing the ones that don't. I don't want them sitting around if they don't work at all!

Already gifts are coming in. MIL gave us some baby clothes and a book at easter. I'm only 11 weeks! I better get a plan pronto for where I'll keep this stuff for the time being- right now it's sitting on my kitchen table, so this isn't going to work long term, clearly.

@Bracken_Joy  - you need a plan for what and how much you'll accept, period. Where to put it is a separate issue. If you're getting stuff in the 1st trimester, you have a much bigger issue to address. Just look at all the parents bemoaning the tide of plastic crap.

Also consider a flat out ban on any "firsts", for ever and ever.

I mean... I'm not going to tell my MIL she can't buy me a onesie *shrugs* This is the first baby between the two families, and I've gone through years of IVF and loss. To say people are impatient is to put it mildly. It may change if it's like, plastic toys and stuffed animals and shit I don't need. But at this point, I'll take things and rehome them as needed, because I have spent insane amounts trying to *get* this baby, so the least I can spend on it, the better frankly. I'll happily accept a tide of baby crap, and send it on its way. Buy Nothing baby stuff always goes super fast, so I have no doubt I'll be able to easily rehome.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2401 on: April 22, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »
In and out! A friend gave us some clothes. We immediately tried them on and grabbed what fit, and will be re homing the ones that don't. I don't want them sitting around if they don't work at all!

Already gifts are coming in. MIL gave us some baby clothes and a book at easter. I'm only 11 weeks! I better get a plan pronto for where I'll keep this stuff for the time being- right now it's sitting on my kitchen table, so this isn't going to work long term, clearly.

@Bracken_Joy  - you need a plan for what and how much you'll accept, period. Where to put it is a separate issue. If you're getting stuff in the 1st trimester, you have a much bigger issue to address. Just look at all the parents bemoaning the tide of plastic crap.

Also consider a flat out ban on any "firsts", for ever and ever.

I mean... I'm not going to tell my MIL she can't buy me a onesie *shrugs* This is the first baby between the two families, and I've gone through years of IVF and loss. To say people are impatient is to put it mildly. It may change if it's like, plastic toys and stuffed animals and shit I don't need. But at this point, I'll take things and rehome them as needed, because I have spent insane amounts trying to *get* this baby, so the least I can spend on it, the better frankly. I'll happily accept a tide of baby crap, and send it on its way. Buy Nothing baby stuff always goes super fast, so I have no doubt I'll be able to easily rehome.

It's extremely easy to give baby stuff away on BNP, you're right about that.

I did tell my mother "I know you're excited about a baby girl, but after a you buy just a few tiny girl things, I'd prefer no clothes, because we just have so many."  Now that we are at size 3t, the prohibition is gone, and we receive new clothes for her ALL the time. Like an outfit a month...    I think I could have gone the whole first year not repeating an outfit because there was SO much from BNP, neighbor hand me downs, etc.  (I've heard girls are easier than boys in this regard though)

Now, the ban on "firsts"- this is TOTALLY up to you, and I was all about the "I don't want to pay for it", but some parents really want to pick out the outfit their baby wears on the first Christmas, first birthday, first Halloween, etc-  so if that's important to you, since your relatives are really eager, make sure to set the boundary. "Thank you for your excitement, but as the Mom, I really want to be able to decide on the outfits for special celebrations. But baby could really use some (play clothes, reusable food pouches, monogrammed spit clothes, etc.) 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2402 on: April 22, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
Just got another giant black garbage bag full of clothes. Sorta sad seeing some of the clothes that I got rid of were worn for meaningful events. However, I am too fat to fit into them now. Boo hoo!

Gotta call the Vietnam Vets to do a pick up. I have 13 giant bags now to donate! OMG! We are definitely making a dent but still more to go. Just two people in one house but lived here for 40+ years. We have had dumpsters here many times and I am talking gigantic ones! We have taken hundreds of bags of everything you can imagine out of here and given to Goodwill and Vietnam Vets.

Now we have to keep pecking at this, bag it up and get it out!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2403 on: April 22, 2019, 02:47:08 PM »
Caught up with some family last night and offloaded half a dozen USB drives, three branded lanyards, and four Moleskin notebooks. They are involved with a hobby group for teenagers and love getting these to hand out to the kids.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #2404 on: April 23, 2019, 04:10:39 PM »
We filled the bin and recycling with junk from the garage on the weekend and it’s been picked up this morning.

Public holiday tomorrow so we are going to hit the garage again. Now that we’ve almost dealt with the last of SOs moving boxes of ‘inside stuff’, it is obvious that the shelving we’ve got out there (repurposed bookshelves) is not really suited for the type of stuff we want to store in the garage (esky, tent, tools). Resulting in all that large/heavy stuff being on the floor and making our life miserable. Broached the topic of getting some proper garage shelving with SO and he’s already found some second hand for a great price that he’ll pick up tomorrow morning.

Also had some hard chats about the amount of time we have spent ‘sorting out the garage’ at his request and that I feel we’re just shuffling things because he’s not ready to make a decision about most items. Which is fine but maybe we need to take a break until he is. That seemed to click something for him and he’s been a lot more decisive.

Inside the KonMari continues - I’ve done all my personal komono except for makeup/bathroom. Did the linen over the weekend and can see that shared stuff will be a much bigger challenge but it looks FANTASTIC and SO is happy with the result. We had 27 towels for a household of two people! I shudder to imagine a scenario where they would all be necessary.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2405 on: April 24, 2019, 04:51:03 AM »
Saw charcoal on half price sale, and resisted the urge to stock up, since last time I did that it took 3 years to use it all up.

I just bought one bag.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2406 on: April 25, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »
Saw charcoal on half price sale, and resisted the urge to stock up, since last time I did that it took 3 years to use it all up.

I just bought one bag.

I think that's the hardest one for minimalist mustachians! It certainly is a situation I struggle with. Good job!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2407 on: April 26, 2019, 09:53:53 AM »
Continuing with the microdecluttering here. I kept bumping into an old shirt and slacks  hanging on a hanger next to the dryer. Both were pretty dusty. I thought about washing them so I could donate them, but nope, into the textiles recycling bag they went, mercilessly.   

ABout 5 feet away from the slacks and shirt, was a pile of those big shopping bags that certain stores give you or sell you. Macy's, Lord and Taylor, etc. Nice big bags, clean and useful, for somebody, but not me. Most of them made out of cloth, believe it or not.   

Looked at them all one by one, put a few into recycling, and put the rest neatly into a bag which I will dump off at Goodwill next time I am there. Now I have room to move my lawn mower again !   

edit to add:  I never shop at Macy's. I'm a guy and 90% of the stuff I am decluttering is from my ex girlfriend, lol.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:57:21 AM by slackmax »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2408 on: April 26, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »

I just bought one bag.

I think that's the hardest one for minimalist mustachians! It certainly is a situation I struggle with. Good job!

Thanks !

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2409 on: April 26, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
I've lost energy to do any decluttering. My house is still full of things, and I would love to get another few hundred out of it. But I'm just too tired.

Where is the "nesting" instinct that makes pregnant woman clean in me?  Because I only feel stress that I'm not getting anything out of the house, and I'm adding another person to it in 13 days. I just want us to own less stuff.  There is stuff everywhere.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2410 on: April 26, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »
My Senior center is offering a free shred service on May 15th. I just cleaned out a file cabinet and have two giant grocery bags full. Some of the paperwork goes back to 2004! I also have another 8 bags full. So this is a win, win situation. We also have a local fund raiser shred early May that would cost me around $10 a bag so this is saving me probably $100. I went to the free shred event last year and as soon as I came home, I found a whole file cabinet that I over looked.

I have been purging and purging everything but it is hard! Even the paperwork I threw out it made me want to keep some of it. There were statements from former employers of my paychecks, 401k savings. Since I don't work anymore, it is 'fun' to see what I was earning back then. But, WHY I said to myself! Why do I need it...I don't so it got bagged up.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2411 on: April 26, 2019, 04:53:17 PM »
I've lost energy to do any decluttering. My house is still full of things, and I would love to get another few hundred out of it. But I'm just too tired.

Where is the "nesting" instinct that makes pregnant woman clean in me?  Because I only feel stress that I'm not getting anything out of the house, and I'm adding another person to it in 13 days. I just want us to own less stuff.  There is stuff everywhere.

It will hit on day 12.  Or 14.  I was out in the garden tying up tomatoes in the morning and started labour in the afternoon (2 days past due date).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2412 on: April 27, 2019, 12:50:50 AM »
Tossed three expired things and one empty thing from my medicine box this morning.

I'm allowing myself to be generous with burning candles to use up the stash, because I still have quite a few and I usually get a couple for my birthday.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2413 on: April 27, 2019, 01:20:10 AM »
I can't find anything in the garage, AGAIN! I'll spend an hour in there tomorrow looking for things that can live in the newly organised spare room and look for some cheap/free shelving. In 7 months we will have one less bedroom, but a double garage plus garden shed, can't wait.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2414 on: April 27, 2019, 07:13:22 AM »

I have been purging and purging everything but it is hard! Even the paperwork I threw out it made me want to keep some of it. There were statements from former employers of my paychecks, 401k savings. Since I don't work anymore, it is 'fun' to see what I was earning back then. But, WHY I said to myself! Why do I need it...I don't so it got bagged up.

When I have this situation (tons of paper records discovered) I recycle half of them and keep the rest for a future purge.  Feels safer that way.  lol...

But some old stuff I will keep forever if it doesn't take up much space. Ancient home equity loans forms and stuff like that.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2415 on: April 27, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »
When I was laid off from the best job of my life in 2005 after working there 18 years I bought home a small suitcase full of work stuff. The suitcase sat in the garage for probably 10 years and was never opened once. It was like a security blanket and a tether to my past that was really important to me. One day the Hub and I were purging and I finally opened Pandora's box and threw out at least 99.9%. Right now I really can't say what was in the suitcase but for some reason I had to hold onto it till my heart could let it go. People are complicated!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2416 on: April 28, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
This is organizing technically, not decluttering, but I'm still happy with it and it's making progress on our space being more functional.
-Bought a shelf off FB marketplace that fits above our freezer in otherwise dead space. Had the room to put 3 baskets I already own that were living in a closet. Moved our overflow ziplocks, paper towels, and kleenex to these from the guest bathroom cupboards. I'm still trying to decide what baby stuff we'll put where, etc, but open spaces are a great place to start. If we're desperate for room as baby approaches, we'll stop buying stuff in bulk and convert the over the freezer storage to other lesser accessed items, allowing us even more space.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2417 on: April 28, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »
Got rid of 2 lawnmowers and 1 semi-professional paint sprayer.  All needed maintenance to run better, and could be "worth something"... but when we tried to get maintenance, the costs were too high for our use.  Also got rid of the second sectional section (out of 3). One left, which is in use, then it will go, too.

At least the lawnmowers went to metal recycling.... and I am freeing up a lot of space getting rid of the big things.  So hard to give up things that have value / use...  So nice to have the room.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2418 on: April 28, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »
Got rid of 2 baby books. And another 2 waiting pickup from BNP.

Also got 5 cardboard boxes into recycling

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2419 on: April 28, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
Instead of just putting all the Easter decorations back in the big bin with a ton of old junk that we haven't taken out of the box in years, I got rid of almost all the stuff still in the box before I put away all the decor items that we used this year.

The box is only 1/3 full.  Don't have a smaller bin at the moment so the large mostly empty bin just went back on the shelf until a smaller bin appears.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2420 on: April 29, 2019, 05:18:47 AM »
Found some 'no decision, easy stuff' to declutter when I was looking in a kitchen cabinet for something: 2 boxes of oatmeal I can use up slowly, day by day. I never knew they were there.     

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2421 on: April 29, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »
Finally decided to get rid of my old suitcase, which I replaced about 2 years ago.  It is stuffed full of random clothes and in the car to be donated today, along with two Pyrex casserole dishes, a book, and a big comforter that we don't use because it doesn't breath properly.

I also went through my crafting supplies/random bits and found quite a few things to toss.  There was a whole stash of stuff sacks from various down vests and jackets.

For now I'm setting aside a small box of clothes that are currently too small.  Just the items like high-end jeans that I feel are worth storing for a bit to see if I can shrink back into them (we're talking 10# here, so I think it's in the realm of possibility).

This Wednesday should be the free hazardous waste collection day at the fire department, so I need to get some old electronics and things pulled together and bring them over.  We had a whole tote box full of old routers, an ancient MP3 player, etc.  Like, why are we storing this dead technology?

I've managed to sell a couple horse items on eBay, but sales are SLOW.  Freecycling a horse-riding shirt that came free with purchase and is not a color I'd ever wear, and supposedly have someone taking one of my extra saddles on trial this week.  I think I'll just add a Best Offer option on my eBay listing for the other, because I'm getting sick of looking at it, and have a new-used saddle for the baby horse arriving tomorrow, which will put me at 5(!) saddles.

Need to list a squat rack and big coffee table on CL, but have been waiting until DH returns from a work trip, rather than dealing with rando people while home alone (since those items are too large to meet and exchange in a public spot).

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2422 on: April 29, 2019, 12:52:27 PM »
I finally got the nerve to get rid of a couple dozen text books from college, plus a handful of other expensive books that I have little interest in.  The library was accepting donations for the spring book sale, and I sneaked these in (technically I don't think they like to take text books as donations, but nobody checked).  I feel a little bit of sadness and a little bit of relief that they're gone.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2423 on: April 29, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »
I have 25 items selected for my get-rid-of-30 things goal this month. 5 are actually out of the house, eep. Tonight's goal is to dig a little bit more and then to get rid of what I can get rid of (there's some donatables that should be easy -- just drop them at the coffeeshop network).

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2424 on: April 29, 2019, 01:42:28 PM »
All our old baby seats were decluttered to be recycled at Target last Monday. We'd been hanging on to them until we could find a way that they didn't end up in the landfill. Major amount of space freed!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2425 on: April 29, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »
All our old baby seats were decluttered to be recycled at Target last Monday. We'd been hanging on to them until we could find a way that they didn't end up in the landfill. Major amount of space freed!

I've noticed BNP has had a nice trade in old car seats. So not only do they get recycled, people have even found someone else to take them in for them :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2426 on: April 29, 2019, 04:46:16 PM »
Two SUV loads gone/donated in the last few weeks.   Plus maximum amount allowed each week for garbage and recycling.  A lot was sort of hidden stuff, the difference is not massively obvious yet.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2427 on: April 29, 2019, 05:33:44 PM »
Fifteen 33 gallon bags going tomorrow to Vietnam Vets. I had one more bag started but not sure if I will fill it. We have to put the bags out at 8 am. But no idea on what time the pick up occurs.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2428 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:08 AM »
I am relieved that I got 3 boxes of stuff out of the house this weekend to donation. It was very mentally freeing to see the empty spot in the living room.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2429 on: April 30, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
I moved recently and had a box of stuff that I wasn’t ready to part with earlier but decided it wasn’t needed in my new house. Brought it to a thrift store along with two boxes of bubble wrap for the store to use when people buy fragile things (I asked if they wanted it before dropping it off).

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2430 on: April 30, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
I am relieved that I got 3 boxes of stuff out of the house this weekend to donation. It was very mentally freeing to see the empty spot in the living room.

I love this feeling!  Just dropped off 2 boxes today, and the open space in the entry way is glorious.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2431 on: April 30, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »
Fifteen 33 gallon bags going tomorrow to Vietnam Vets. I had one more bag started but not sure if I will fill it. We have to put the bags out at 8 am. But no idea on what time the pick up occurs.

Gone, gone, gone!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2432 on: April 30, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
Read the entire thread over the past few days. So much inspiration here!

I scanned all my old tax paperwork and took the actual papers to be shredded.

I have a giant box in the car to go to Goodwill.

I've used up a ton of trial- or travel-sized toiletries.

A big one is finally asking my family about the china set I've been toting around for ten years! I thought it was my great-grandmothers that her son bought in Europe during WWII when he was in the army. Nope! My mom has that set, which I will inherit. This? Nobody knows whose it was, and I don't remember who I got it from. So out it goes! When I think of the number of times I have carefully wrapped and packed those dishes and cups throughout my nomadic life!! An entire cabinet emptied out. Too bad I left the roll of newsprint in the mail room with a "free" sign just last week. :P

I've gotten all of the easy stuff. Now I've been through summer and winter clothes, the kitchen cabinets, books, and some sentimental things. I've noticed that after a while, some sentimental things become less...sentimental and more 'what is this?'

Now to decide if I really need a printer, since it usually lives unplugged on a closet shelf. I have a workplace where I can print, and my building's office will gladly let tenants use their office equipment for small, one-off things. The shredder got donated weeks ago, when I opted out of most junk mail and opted in to email statements on almost everything.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2433 on: May 01, 2019, 07:54:23 AM »
I finally got the nerve to get rid of a couple dozen text books from college, plus a handful of other expensive books that I have little interest in.  The library was accepting donations for the spring book sale, and I sneaked these in (technically I don't think they like to take text books as donations, but nobody checked).  I feel a little bit of sadness and a little bit of relief that they're gone.

Fellow textbook and technical manual keeper here! A few years ago I donated some to my library. Don't know if they put them out for sale. I still have a lot more stored on the floor in my house. 

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2434 on: May 01, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »
I am finally getting rid of the pile of stockings that I have that are gorgeous stockings but just really plain uncomfortable to wear -- so they sit, looking beautiful, as I never wear them because owwwww.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2435 on: May 01, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »
Fellow textbook and technical manual keeper here! A few years ago I donated some to my library. Don't know if they put them out for sale. I still have a lot more stored on the floor in my house.

Was it a struggle for you to finally donate some?  Most of my books were technical in nature, and many were out of date.  My reluctance to get rid of them was a combination of sunk cost fallacy (those suckers cost me ~$100/each on average), the feeling that I was tossing some good resources for useful information that me or my kids might make use of some day (but duh, we could find better/more up to date information on these topics online or from a library), and sheer sentimentality (I am oddly sentimental about the weirdest stuff).

I tried selling some -- no dice.  I briefly considered burning them ala a Viking funeral pyre.  But I finally decided that at least there is a small chance someone will want one of the books, so now they're the library's problem to deal with.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2436 on: May 01, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
I'm surprised by everyone donating textbooks - our library won't take them, and our thrift store won't take them either.  I had to recycle mine when I finally convinced myself to let go :(

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #2437 on: May 01, 2019, 12:44:34 PM »
I cheated and took my textbooks to work. (I have a technical position at a university so this is not weird.)

Every once in a while I do go back and look something up, but 99% of the time I just get my info online. They're mostly there for decoration/nostalgia.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2438 on: May 01, 2019, 01:36:11 PM »
I'm surprised by everyone donating textbooks - our library won't take them, and our thrift store won't take them either.  I had to recycle mine when I finally convinced myself to let go :(

Had the people at the library examined the contents of the big box of books I dropped off (donations for a book sale), they might well have told me "Sorry, no text books!"  But they were not really paying attention, so I just set the box down with the other donations and scooted out of there before they had a chance to take a look.  :D

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2439 on: May 01, 2019, 02:48:39 PM »
Our library sells books to raise money, and we do actually take textbooks. Textbooks are one of the few things that I've gotten requests for as a cashier in the store -- lots of people want to teach themselves something, and are okay if that something's out of date, as long as they're only spending $2-5 on it.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2440 on: May 02, 2019, 07:21:44 AM »

Was it a struggle for you to finally donate some?  Most of my books were technical in nature, and many were out of date.  My reluctance to get rid of them was a combination of sunk cost fallacy (those suckers cost me ~$100/each on average), the feeling that I was tossing some good resources for useful information that me or my kids might make use of some day (but duh, we could find better/more up to date information on these topics online or from a library), and sheer sentimentality (I am oddly sentimental about the weirdest stuff).

I tried selling some -- no dice.  I briefly considered burning them ala a Viking funeral pyre.  But I finally decided that at least there is a small chance someone will want one of the books, so now they're the library's problem to deal with.

I like the Viking funeral pyre idea! But I won't do it myself.

Yes, it was a struggle to donate them, but I viewed as a self-improvement thing,   
like going to that party even though you are shy, since you'll be glad you did afterwards. 'Doing the right thing' even though you don't want to.   

My textbooks are 95% free from work days. They allowed me to take them with me when I left. All computer programming stuff.

I keep them for as a reminder of how productive I was in this life. So, sentimentality there, yes. I never read them unless I am thinking of recycling them. Then after a few paragraphs, I say 'I can't discard this priceless stuff. It's the only physical representation I have of my work role in the world'. They are all in one room, and take up only about 20% of the floor space when stacked.

What doesn't help is seeing similar textbooks on Ebay listed for $30 to $40 each. But for some reason, now I can't see if they ever sold or not, and for how much. Has Ebay hidden that information now? I used to be able to see it somewhere, like 'completed auctions', but it has disappeared.

So when I donated them I assumed I was possibly missing out on $30 each! (I know, dreaming). 

I did put an ad on Craigslist for them, and suggested buyer make an offer. Zero responses, sadly.   

I also have a few stacks of my computer programs in the same room. I have actually recycled about 30% of these, and now am actually regretting it!  Who knew? Oh well, I still have a lot. Also saving presentations I made describing the  projects I led.

I also had a bunch of those 3 ring binder manual full of training lessons, which I was able to recycle without too much emotion. Pop open the metal rings, toss paper into recycling bag, donate 3 ring binder to Goodwill. They sell them for $1 or $2 each, believe it or not. I actually saw a guy at the cash register buying one once at Goodwill. I don't miss those. Kept a few empty 3-ring binders just in case, lol.   

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2441 on: May 02, 2019, 07:34:33 AM »
You can check the buyback sites before donating.  If they are older than 5 years I wouldn’t expect anything (especially for programming), but there are outliers.  I regularly buy old text books at thrift shops and sell them to one of the bigger book dealers.  I might make more if I were selling them myself, but that’s too much hassle.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #2442 on: May 02, 2019, 07:42:26 AM »

What doesn't help is seeing similar textbooks on Ebay listed for $30 to $40 each. But for some reason, now I can't see if they ever sold or not, and for how much. Has Ebay hidden that information now? I used to be able to see it somewhere, like 'completed auctions', but it has disappeared.

So when I donated them I assumed I was possibly missing out on $30 each! (I know, dreaming). 

You used to be able to see prices of sold comparable items as one of the final steps in listing your own item. Idk if it’s still there though

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2443 on: May 02, 2019, 09:32:53 AM »

You used to be able to see prices of sold comparable items as one of the final steps in listing your own item. Idk if it’s still there though

Go to ebay
To the right of the search bar there is the word ADVANCED
Click on ADVANCED
On that page fill in search bar and type in item name you want to find sold
Go down on that same page and check mark 'SOLD'
Then click on the blue search button

The item or similar items should appear.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2444 on: May 02, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
Got rid of the last of the track lights from the basement this morning.  Also 2 large boxes of odds and ends - lots of 'display' items and glassware that were given to us as wedding gifts.   If we haven't used them in 40 years, I don't think we're going to. 

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2445 on: May 02, 2019, 01:33:24 PM »
I've noticed that after a while, some sentimental things become less...sentimental and more 'what is this?'

I've noticed this too.   I think I've reset my internal expectation of what sentimental means by getting rid of so much.  I need to do a second pass, because I'm still drowning in piles of sentimental stuff (I am the family historian).

I had surgery last month and was off my feet for a while.  It's amazing how much stuff accumulates - both medical supplies that I don't want to get rid of (I guarantee one of my kids will need these crutches before I get them out of the house) and random crap that my husband bought when I wasn't there to say "No, we don't need that." 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2446 on: May 02, 2019, 07:37:39 PM »

Go to ebay
Click on ADVANCED

Thank you!   :) 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2447 on: May 02, 2019, 09:10:33 PM »
I put two tank tops in the donation pile. Now that the weather is getting warmer, I have the opportunity to go through the side of my close that's been untouched in the colder weather. For things that don't fit well, or show too much cleavage for the office due to stretching or whatever, into the donation bin

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #2448 on: May 02, 2019, 09:12:32 PM »

Go to ebay
Click on ADVANCED

Thank you!   :)

Thank you +1
I have a few things to list and prior sales will make it so much easier!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2449 on: May 03, 2019, 02:52:32 AM »
I came across a charity online that collects hotel/airline toiletries for homeless people.

(It's called Every Little Bit Helps for any Aussies interested.)

I've just gone through my stash and picked out about 50 things to donate.

Once upon a time I would have felt a pang at the sense of scarcity, but now I'm just relieved.

I enjoy the simple straightforwardness of having four things in my shower and four things I put on my face. Why bother hoarding the rest of it?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!