Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1253451 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #5650 on: February 07, 2022, 11:03:09 PM »
I've brought something into the house. But it's all good. I've borrowed Mom's scanner to help reduce photo and paper clutter. Excited to get started on this!

Will also be moving in three weeks, so maybe more clutter will turn up in the packing process. If so, I will be surprised, as I just moved a year ago and did a good declutter job then. We'll see...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5651 on: February 07, 2022, 11:35:33 PM »
Two more books returned to street libraries. The new approach to kitchen inventory (use something up before restocking) is helping keep it under control AND this weekend we went shopping on our bikes, keeping a lid on how much we bought.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5652 on: February 08, 2022, 08:05:07 PM »
I donated five books to the local library this past weekend and just sold an unwanted gift on eBay. Thankfully the eBay buyer paid right away, so out it goes!

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5653 on: February 08, 2022, 10:24:00 PM »
-Gave away 9 items of soccer gear. Another mom in our club stopped by to pick it up. It's the current season's uniform, and terribly expensive, so she's thrilled
-While cleaning out the soccer gear, found two pair of volleyball knee pads, and another mom came to get those
-Found another six items of outgrown teen clothing to donate
-Gave away 5 cans of tuna (bought in a pandemic frenzy & figured we'd eventually eat) + 2 large containers of kids body wash. The body wash smells like watermelon, and my teen boys have deemed it "too baby smelling". One person picked up the tuna + body wash, and everyone is happy. I can stop looking at it all, and someone else will put it to use!
-Returned a couple of items I need, but the ones I ordered didn't work out. The search for a (moderately) comfortable and (moderately) supportive strapless bra continues. Apparently, those two things don't co-exist.

I have bought some comfortable strapless bras in specialty underware stores but in my experience you will not find those moderately priced.

JamBaguettes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5654 on: February 08, 2022, 11:18:05 PM »
Today I put the following in the curb: a grill and large fan (both previously street finds!), a pile of scrap wood and a tub full of garage miscellaneous stuff. Everything was taken within 2 hours!

Unfortunately the large tub was taken despite “please do not take tub” sign attached. Mostly feeling positive about getting rid of stuff!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5655 on: February 09, 2022, 01:33:34 PM »
Finally made a run to the local SPCA to donate a bunch of cat food and towels.  Now that we've finally got our cat on a diet she tolerates (skin allergies), it was time to get rid of the ones that didn't work.  It's surprising how much space we had devoted to cat food.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5656 on: February 09, 2022, 01:35:19 PM »
I keep breaking things while trying to clean them so things are getting less clutter, but not in the right way.

I was trying to sew up a small hole in an old sweater with the cat napping on me. Then some idiot car came racing down the street, lost traction, and made a great deal of noise while trying to not crash. The car did not not crash, but the cat did get scared and attempted to bolt, but got a claw stuck on the sweater. This only served to panic the cat further, who took off dragging the sweater.

In the end, I have 2 new scratches, the sweater has a massive hole, and the cat has been comforted, then later got a claw trimming. I tossed the sweater and my life sounds like a bad comedy.

Too funny!  I thought I was the only one such ridiculous things happened to.
and I, but sorry about the scratches.  They can really hurt.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5657 on: February 09, 2022, 03:46:00 PM »
I keep breaking things while trying to clean them so things are getting less clutter, but not in the right way.

I was trying to sew up a small hole in an old sweater with the cat napping on me. Then some idiot car came racing down the street, lost traction, and made a great deal of noise while trying to not crash. The car did not not crash, but the cat did get scared and attempted to bolt, but got a claw stuck on the sweater. This only served to panic the cat further, who took off dragging the sweater.

In the end, I have 2 new scratches, the sweater has a massive hole, and the cat has been comforted, then later got a claw trimming. I tossed the sweater and my life sounds like a bad comedy.

Sibley, that is hilarious! ROFL!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5658 on: February 09, 2022, 04:03:19 PM »
Used up a few bowls of cat litter on the icy sidewalk. It's great for that. Don't have my beautiful orange cats anymore, not getting any new ones, and this is a better use for the cat litter than throwing it out.

Have started to consume some jam preserves in canning jars that I have been looking at forever on the kitchen counter. Almost done with one already! Will wash it out and sell the empty at flea market. Will do the same with the remaining two jars.

Will not be making any more preserves, will not need canning jars. If I want jam, will buy it, then recycle the jar.

Gradually using up small one ounce sample packets of hair conditioner, and throwing out empty packets. Not replacing them. 

Became aware of a fairly big jar of 'junk drawer' items on a table in kitchen. It has been there forever, unnoticed (?) but I must have just lost my 'clutter blindness' for it.  Pen tops, rubber bands, who knows what else. Will excavate it and probably throw 90 % of it out (I hope).

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5659 on: February 10, 2022, 11:42:29 AM »
We keep a container of kitty litter in the car for that very reason.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5660 on: February 13, 2022, 08:44:40 PM »
Had to order another replacement rechargeable battery. Put the new one in the day it arrived, recycling the packaging, and took the old one to the home improvement store specialty recycling bin the next day. This, instead of driving it around in my car trunk for months.

Was given two bags of clothing from a friend's closet cleanout. I went through them the day I got them and tried on each piece. The items I wanted to keep were put away immediately. The rejects and items of mine I replaced went back into the bags. They are back in my car to give to a friend who volunteers at a free boutique. They didn't sit in my car trunk or bedroom floor for weeks! I do have a lot more clothes now, so I have put the hangers on the rod backwards so that I can tell if they are really part of my wardrobe or just temporary.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5661 on: February 14, 2022, 05:24:19 PM »
They didn't sit in my car trunk or bedroom floor for weeks!

Now that's achievement!!

Speaking of things that have been driving around in trunks for weeks, I finally added a pair of new-with-tags leggings that don't fit to the bag of Costco returns. Then, I actually stood in line and returned everything!  They took it all though I have no recollection of when I bought the items. About $150 was refunded to my card.  I love that store. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5662 on: February 14, 2022, 05:42:47 PM »
Getting items returned is a real achievement! How nice to get the refund to reinforce the good work of going through with the returns.

The bag of clothing was handed off to the co-worker who takes them to her volunteer gig. That's a new personal record for getting donations out! Not so much the bag of household items to donate that are still in the car...

Cleaned out my car of litter and random detritus that ends up in the cup holders.

Organized my tea drawer and got rid of a box that was nearly empty. Brewed and drank some of the tea that had gotten pushed to the back and forgotten about.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 05:48:27 PM by okisok »

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5663 on: February 14, 2022, 05:43:07 PM »
They didn't sit in my car trunk or bedroom floor for weeks!

Now that's achievement!!

Speaking of things that have been driving around in trunks for weeks, I finally added a pair of new-with-tags leggings that don't fit to the bag of Costco returns. Then, I actually stood in line and returned everything!  They took it all though I have no recollection of when I bought the items. About $150 was refunded to my card.  I love that store. 

Well, you're both doing better than I am - I've had a stack of egg cartons to go to a local egg producer for months now.  They go into the trunk, then out of the trunk whenever I need room for something else.  I've told myself that tomorrow is the day, but we'll see.

I also have leggings to return to Costco.  They make me look like a sausage.  I hope I get a refund, because I no longer have the receipt.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5664 on: February 14, 2022, 07:07:57 PM »
Well, you're both doing better than I am - I've had a stack of egg cartons to go to a local egg producer for months now.  They go into the trunk, then out of the trunk whenever I need room for something else.  I've told myself that tomorrow is the day, but we'll see.

I also have leggings to return to Costco.  They make me look like a sausage.  I hope I get a refund, because I no longer have the receipt.

Ha, I do that too!  I have also been driving around for months with a bag of old soccer cleats that I was going to donate to the local cleat swap.

As long as the tags are still on your leggings and they were bought within the last... year? you will be fine because they use your membership card to look up past purchases. Yes, the leggings gave me the most hideous muffin top and made me sad.  And if I lose enough weight to make them fit better, I may as well wear some other leggings that I outgrew and still am hoarding. I'm not sure whether I should keep aspirational clothes.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5665 on: February 14, 2022, 07:29:02 PM »
Went through the stationary, gift wrap, craft and tech draws. A few things are being given away and I've ended up with two drawers to put things in that were being stored on surfaces. Right now tho it's a mess because the giveaways are still lying about and I'm not well enough to sort them out. The worst stage :(

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5666 on: February 15, 2022, 09:03:39 AM »
Made good on my previous post, to declutter a container on a card table in the kitchen. Decided to clean off the tabletop while I was at it. Took everything off, and it was easier to see what was there.

Ended up recycling about 40 plastic pen tops (think Bic pens). And about 10 pieces of paper. Moved a few things off the table to more appropriate places in the house, where they are not in the way.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5667 on: February 15, 2022, 04:07:17 PM »
Bagged up the stuff that had been accumulated on the guest bed, dropped it off at the thrift shop.
Grabbed the stuff from parent's garage that needed to go to thrift shop, got dropped off.
Grabbed the various cans of paint which are no longer needed. A couple can be donated, most will have to sit, opened, in my garage to dry out.
Pulled out the boxes of LVP flooring from under the guest bed, listed on FB marketplace, and sold for $250. I got them for the utility room but have determined that installation would be a PITA and would screw with the door. I'll live with the concrete floor.

Also rearranged the guest room, including temporary installment of a litterbox, food station, and many cat accessories. Then installed the new kitty in the there. :) Cross your fingers that he gets along with Arwen.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5668 on: February 15, 2022, 04:32:05 PM »
UGH, I have an issue. A friend of mine sent two identical flower arrangements for Christmas. Both are little wooden houses with 'snow' on the roof and had a live plant in them but both died. Now, I have these two adorable 'houses' that I have no clue what to do with. I hate to donate them but I am running out of room! They are gorgeous little houses but I think they were not so good for the plants. Very hard to water them therefore, I guess I killed them. I am on a guilt trip!!!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5669 on: February 15, 2022, 04:37:55 PM »
A lot of really great wins recently, good job everyone!

So far, have identified half a dozen items I no longer want, while boxing up my stuff for the move. Actually got rid of only one thing...recycled the gallon jug that has just a dribble of vinegar left in it, after decanting it into the smaller container that fits in the cupboard. It's something, at least.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5670 on: February 16, 2022, 08:25:59 AM »
My MIL took the box of rag-clothing away to drop off for me.  Ripped clothing, used underwear (I decided my kids could have their own new underwear), etc.  Very glad to have it out of the house!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5671 on: February 16, 2022, 10:33:32 AM »
I was chuckling at a sign I saw at a local storage facility:  "Declutter your home now - store your extra items here!"

My reaction, to paraphrase a popular meme, is "I don't think your use of the word 'declutter' means what you think it means ..."

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5672 on: February 16, 2022, 10:42:32 AM »
UGH, I have an issue. A friend of mine sent two identical flower arrangements for Christmas. Both are little wooden houses with 'snow' on the roof and had a live plant in them but both died. Now, I have these two adorable 'houses' that I have no clue what to do with. I hate to donate them but I am running out of room! They are gorgeous little houses but I think they were not so good for the plants. Very hard to water them therefore, I guess I killed them. I am on a guilt trip!!!!

Either repurpose them for something else, or get rid of them. It's ok.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5673 on: February 16, 2022, 12:11:36 PM »
Stopped by parents house and loaded a small table into the car, then went up to the Habitat ReStore and donated, along with some paint.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #5674 on: February 17, 2022, 08:21:24 AM »
Donated my wedding dress to an angel gown charity - but paid to have a piece of dress framed, handkerchief made and a bouquet charm. So keepsakes if my kids get married. Still deciding what to do with the veil.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5675 on: February 17, 2022, 08:27:42 AM »

Donate one, keep one?   

It's the kind of thing I would try to sell at a flea market, if I wanted to get rid of it. Unless it had sentimental value.   

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5676 on: February 17, 2022, 12:48:15 PM »
Donated my wedding dress to an angel gown charity - but paid to have a piece of dress framed, handkerchief made and a bouquet charm. So keepsakes if my kids get married. Still deciding what to do with the veil.

I wore my mom's veil headpiece (not her dress though) and she made a new veil for it for me.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5677 on: February 17, 2022, 02:59:07 PM »

Yeah, I got rid of a lot of stuff like that.  I categorize them as "Cute But Meaningless."  You won't miss them once they're gone, but as long as you have them, you'll be devoting mental energy to them.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5678 on: February 17, 2022, 03:16:15 PM »
Sold a rain jacket that was bought on sale (not returnable) but turned out to be so vastly undersized I had to sell it. Made more money than I paid for it.

But the bonus was meeting the person who bought it, talking about boats and sailing plans. I am hopeful we will see her and her family again as their boat is just down the street from ours.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5679 on: February 20, 2022, 06:07:23 PM »

Yeah, I got rid of a lot of stuff like that.  I categorize them as "Cute But Meaningless."  You won't miss them once they're gone, but as long as you have them, you'll be devoting mental energy to them.

I would put them on Buy Nothing. Somebody may want to put fresh plants in them for regifting next year.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5680 on: February 26, 2022, 10:36:59 AM »
I have been getting rid of lots of small items like papers (7 years of old pay statements), photos, etc. Sold two art panels that I made. (Yay! $40 to my crafting fund.) But, overall it is going slowly. I buggered up one of my knees and standing or walking for long is painful. And I find that I am compensating by standing mostly on the good leg, which is making my back hurt. Oh well, it is slowly getting better.

I have decided to list my house for sale this summer, so I need to buckle down. I am still not sure if I will be staying in my town (and moving to a condo), or moving across the country, but either way I need to downsize the house contents. It feels a bit (a lot some days) overwhelming.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5681 on: February 26, 2022, 12:26:24 PM »
For almost four months I have been using up my bead and jewelry-making stash for creating my own garden art and/or donating a lot of it (supplies) to my neighbor. She runs a hospice for felines over 12 years old and functions as a non-profit cat sanctuary nursing and taking care of kitty babies up to about 8 weeks old.
She makes and sells all sorts of art to support her charity.

Yesterday was the first time that I noticed I actually put a dent in my supplies and jewelry and items held onto for future projects or leftover from past projects. I'm close to decimating it by half.
The jewelry hooks held so many necklaces - some from several decades ago - that it got tangled and " I couldn't find the one I was looking for" any longer.

So there is plenty of progress, but it is oh so slow, but the dust collectors and unloved items are all slowly disappearing.
It feels good.

Who knows maybe I'll tackle some of my clothing next week - it is time for a closet clear out.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5682 on: February 26, 2022, 07:19:41 PM »
Wanted to mention a city-sponsored recycling event today that had included some extras:   
In addition to the city accepting certain recyclable electronics and having free paper shredding available, they allowed several non-profits to participate by setting up tables to collect food donations, hygiene items, school supplies, and old bicycles to refurbish.  All of this was drive-through, didn't even have to leave your car.

I thought it was a great combination of services in one spot which allowed households to de-clutter multiple things and to donate needed items to different non-profits. 
A win for everyone and super easy - I hope future recycling events are the same.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5683 on: February 27, 2022, 08:43:08 AM »
2 steps forward, 1 step back.

I squeezed down Christmas decor from the better part of a walk-in closet to ONE bin. I did this over a two year period, releasing most of the stuff during holiday seasons because people don’t take Smas junk in July.

So smug I was at my accomplishment!

Then I opened a cabinet door recently and found several sacks co trainer Xmas lights. Ugh.

Now I will have to go back to two Xmas bins stored, I guess. Unless I am very lucky and none of those strings of lights work! Haha.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5684 on: March 02, 2022, 09:39:29 AM »
@iris lily My friend lent me this tool call the "Lightkeeper Pro" which is amazing at fixing holiday lights!  I went nuts and fixed so many light strings that I was able to give some away.
https://www.target.com/p/lightkeeper-pro-light-repair-kit/-/A-52352111

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5685 on: March 03, 2022, 07:15:51 PM »
@iris lily My friend lent me this tool call the "Lightkeeper Pro" which is amazing at fixing holiday lights!  I went nuts and fixed so many light strings that I was able to give some away.
https://www.target.com/p/lightkeeper-pro-light-repair-kit/-/A-52352111
I did watch much of that demo video. That little gadget is pretty amazing.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5686 on: March 03, 2022, 07:44:06 PM »
I had a bag full of wrapping paper from buying some loose dishes. Took the entire bag to a friend who is moving in the near future.
Finally got a gift wrapped and delivered to the recipient. Not only the gift itself, but a box and some wrapping paper I don't love out the door.

Finished a body wash and threw the empty bottle in the recycling. Finally tossed a package of candy that I don't like. Gift guilt was the only reason I kept it for three months.

Got all the winter throws and blankets washed and hung on the line, as it's finally warm enough for them to dry outside. Once they are dry, I can put them away in the closet instead of having them strewn about. Washed all of the winter hats and gloves, too. (Hope I'm not jumping the gun and spring is really here!) The house feels lighter and brighter already.

I'm making an effort to go through all my packages of tea before I buy any more. 'Decluttering' some peppermint right now.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5687 on: March 03, 2022, 09:11:05 PM »
I need to work my way through my tea as well. I think there's still some green tea in the back of the cupboard and neither of us drink it and not one visitor has ever requested it. It can go in the compost.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5688 on: March 04, 2022, 12:07:49 AM »
Ah, tea. My old nemesis (or something). I have some flavored tea I'm very "meh" on. Thanks for the reminder @okisok and @Fresh Bread . I will make an effort over the next few weeks to use it up. Today would have been a good day for a cup in the afternoon, too! Ah well.

The de-box-ening has begun (I just moved house). Today two separate people stopped by & took car loads of used moving boxes & packing materials away. My garage was empty! Afterwards, I emptied another box, so the emptiness was not long-lasting. But soon I will have another pile worthy of a craigslist post & the cycle will go on...

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5689 on: March 04, 2022, 12:35:35 AM »
Cleaned out the kids toys from the shed. They are teens now, and a few soccer balls, super soakers and some tennis gear is enough for the summer. All the other things (like hoops / sandbox items / toy cars) could go.
Put 2 bags of used items on BuyNothing group and they will be picked up today. Put 1 bag on Craigslist (the new/almost new items) and this will be sold and picked up today as well.
Now hoping that we can clean the whole shed this weekend. There might be more things coming out of there.......

And tea..... I'm almost at the end of my packages of tea (only 2 boxes remaining). Thanks to WFH/Covid in the last 2 years...... I might need to think which tea I'm going to buy, since I have not bought any tea in the last 2 years.......

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5690 on: March 04, 2022, 08:22:10 AM »
Looked through some donate, sell, or recycle stuff and found a bag of old ripped clothes I can take to the textile recycling place. Found one item I was OK with just throwing out, and did so. 

Also spent 20 minutes cleaning off big plastic salt and  pepper shakers. So much grime accumulating over the years, and me not even noticing it! Until now. Nice and clean once again. Scrubbing with dish detergent and scrubber pad.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5691 on: March 04, 2022, 10:14:25 AM »
I need to go through my tea shelf also. I seem to have somehow accumulated a lot of it, and I rarely drink tea.

So, today was a big day in my "getting rid of stuff" world. My DH passed away nine years ago, and I have given away almost all of his stuff, but wasn't ready to give away his collection of hats. They just seemed too personal, and I didn't want people pawing through them at a thrift store. Anyway, I saw a post on FB from a lady I went to high school with and she was looking for clothing (including hats) for a rehab facility. That seemed like a good use for them, and I was able to part with them that way. I kept a couple for sentimental reasons. I still have his tuxedo and a few other things that I need to find a home for.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5692 on: March 04, 2022, 01:41:39 PM »
@slackmax well done on cleaning off the grot. It's startling how these things build up without us noticing.
@Prairie Gal that seems like a meaningful way to give the hats a second life.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5693 on: March 05, 2022, 10:18:11 AM »
Did a major de-cluttering of the closet in the hall a.k.a. the linen closet, except that it was a catch-all for all kinds of stuff. Found some sea-sickness meds that had been expired for ten years! Purged probably half of the stuff in there, and now it looks nice and neat and tidy. I left the door open all day so that I could admire it every time I walked past. lol.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #5694 on: March 05, 2022, 11:42:05 AM »
I bought a puzzle over Christmas from a Friends of the Library sale and finally got around to doing it. While doing it I realized that I actually didn't like looking at the picture (a dragon that was more horror than fantastical). So I posted it on Offer Up for $5. I'm always amazed how far people will drive for random items, so when one someone contacted me to buy it from over 30 minutes away, I was doubtful. The man shows up in a minivan, windows rolled down, two small boys in the back, and tells me, "We are on a quest to find a dragon!" It was adorable and heartwarming!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5695 on: March 05, 2022, 01:41:46 PM »
We have had a summer of endless rain (thanks La Nina!) and after a week of walking past nice leather shoes that were slowly mildewing, I suggested to Ofpym that anything we hadn't worn in multiple years should be cleaned up and donated. So that was 6 pairs of shoes donated yesterday. I'd rather someone get use of them now instead of letting entropy ruin them for everyone on the off-chance that we would want them in the future.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5696 on: March 05, 2022, 03:53:34 PM »
Further decluttered our shed. Posted some items on the buynothing group and had takers within an hour! Tossed all broken pots and other plastics to recycling.
Now the only things remaining are 2 large items on Craigslist and a few small ones on BuyNothing AND a nice and clean shed where we have no trouble parking our bikes!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5697 on: March 05, 2022, 05:59:34 PM »
@Prairie Gal that must be one beautiful closet! I know that feeling of joy from seeing a usually-hidden organized spot.

After my move, I've donated a small box of mostly unused kitchen items and dishes.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5698 on: March 05, 2022, 09:10:58 PM »
Donated a large bag of books this morning.  Next up - shoes.   I have too many shoes I never wear.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5699 on: March 05, 2022, 10:29:00 PM »
Finished off the open box of tea! 1 down, 2 to go.