Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249226 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4350 on: November 28, 2020, 01:06:08 AM »
Posting for accountability: Room Mate and I share a hobby.  Today we jointly decluttered our hobby accessories. Not a lot volume wise, but nice to clear out unused bits. I also got to reorganize my hobby cupboard; it is pleasing and more functional.

I have volunteered to advertise the items to the hobby group and handle the distribution.  Tomorrow!

Also tomorrow: finish seasoning the cast iron so it can be put away rather than cluttering up the countertop.

Done! The items are listed and the pan is more or less seasoned.  Woo!

Well not all the hobby items were claimed, so I finally posted in another forum and they are claimed! Posting for accountability: will arrange no-contact drop off this weekend.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4351 on: November 28, 2020, 02:14:36 AM »
I turned flat beer (didn't quite seal completely) into delicious beer bread, which we ate for dinner.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4352 on: November 28, 2020, 09:01:22 AM »
-Sold car mats for a car we no longer have. $20 in, junk out of the garage.
-Gave away a puzzle as soon as we finished it, via BuyNothing
-Listed other car mats on local neighborhood swap. (I'm not in charge of buying car accessories, but it appears we have too many!)
-Teenager has outgrown pants (it's finally pants season again, after ~8 months), so I listed a pair on eBay. Unfortunately, had to order new pants, so not really clutter out, but at least not storing things we don't need

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4353 on: November 28, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »
Went op shopping this morning and bought a cornflower blue running top and multicoloured long cardigan, so came home and put 2 grey tops and 2 cardigans in the donation bag. I had been gravitating to grey clothes which wash me out and are so boring so am swapping them for colour. And I get such a rush from doing the '1 thing in, 2 things out' shuffle.

The school year is over, so I will sort through my son's textbooks and see what I can sell. He has no need for his ridiculously expensive Texas Instruments calculator so I will sell that too. Only 1 more year of school to go!

Next up is going through the bookselves again as I have bought a few 2nd hand and new books for my birthday. Books are my kryptonite so it will only be 1 for 1.

I saved my TI graphing calculator for unknown reasons..... Never would have thought the current models would be exactly the same! Now my 13 year old is using it for Algebra. Not that I am advocating saving them for another 20 years haha.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4354 on: November 28, 2020, 10:19:22 AM »
Went op shopping this morning and bought a cornflower blue running top and multicoloured long cardigan, so came home and put 2 grey tops and 2 cardigans in the donation bag. I had been gravitating to grey clothes which wash me out and are so boring so am swapping them for colour. And I get such a rush from doing the '1 thing in, 2 things out' shuffle.

The school year is over, so I will sort through my son's textbooks and see what I can sell. He has no need for his ridiculously expensive Texas Instruments calculator so I will sell that too. Only 1 more year of school to go!

Next up is going through the bookselves again as I have bought a few 2nd hand and new books for my birthday. Books are my kryptonite so it will only be 1 for 1.

I saved my TI graphing calculator for unknown reasons..... Never would have thought the current models would be exactly the same! Now my 13 year old is using it for Algebra. Not that I am advocating saving them for another 20 years haha.

Love my TI from ~1994.  I used it through college (engineering) and during my career, though most of the functions were overkill.  Still have it sitting next to me at home, and use it daily, though usually just for simple math that any calculator could do (but I've never had to buy a calculator since I have this one from my parents).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4355 on: November 28, 2020, 11:27:43 AM »
I still have an old calculator.  I don't use it much but can't bear to ditch it.  I have a slide rule, totally sentimental, it was my Dad's  (electrical engineer).

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4356 on: November 28, 2020, 12:38:21 PM »
Joining the TI calculator club!  Still have mine from stats classes 30 odd years ago and still use it regularly.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4357 on: November 28, 2020, 06:04:11 PM »

I was able to use this to my advantage! Saved mine for and used during college, which took me over a decade to complete. Was still able to sell it for decent coin, since it was still virtually the same as newer models.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4358 on: November 28, 2020, 06:55:38 PM »
Air mattress was picked up. The very next day, SO mentioned he could use my air mattress for something. I pointed out that I'd saved it for 5 years and we didn't use it, and I had given it away *the day before*. He shrugged and said, ok then, no worries. It wasn't even important enough to go buy one for what he had in mind. Moral of the story--don't keep things just in case!

Have two more bags of donations by the back door waiting to fill completely before I take them to the donation center.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4359 on: November 28, 2020, 08:16:20 PM »
Air mattress was picked up. The very next day, SO mentioned he could use my air mattress for something. I pointed out that I'd saved it for 5 years and we didn't use it, and I had given it away *the day before*. He shrugged and said, ok then, no worries. It wasn't even important enough to go buy one for what he had in mind. Moral of the story--don't keep things just in case!

Have two more bags of donations by the back door waiting to fill completely before I take them to the donation center.
Ack.  About 2 months ago, I had a pile of misc. metal "free for pickup".  It included a large amount of house wiring (new), on partial spools from a home reno 10 years ago. Even some heavy stuff for a stove circuit. We are selling the home and don't want to store it anymore.   The day after it was picked up, I opened the wall where I was adding a closet door (for resale) and saw that a mystery wire was in the wall-- that needed rerouting and a new junction box.   

I had to run out to buy 20 ft of house wire.  At least I still had one junction box left behind.   I am still glad to have gotten it out of the house and the lucky person who got $300 worth of wiring for free was very happy.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4360 on: November 28, 2020, 08:34:08 PM »
After I ran all my errands yesterday, a bunch more popped up so I was out again today. Not my plan! But I did deliver the big bag of cat food that I forgot to take to the shelter yesterday. 20lb bag of dry food, out! (accidently ordered the wrong kind, don't want to deal with returning to Chewy.)

also caulked in the book room, threw out an empty tube of caulk. Will finish up the rest of the caulk in the utility room.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4361 on: November 29, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »
Returned an item I bought on Wednesday that I ended up not needing. I *did not* want to drive across town again to return it, but I wanted the money back in my account and the item out of my car. And I wanted to be able to post that it was done, so I did it. It took less than an hour and now the full amount I paid is back in my account. I didn't have to move it repeatedly or take pictures to sell it on the secondary market for less.

Dropped off another trunk load of donations to Goodwill while I was out.

Cut up an old pair of felted wool house shoes into insoles for my rubber boots. The boots are great, except in cold weather. I realized I was shying away from wearing them when it was cold and rainy because they felt so cold. Now they are so cozy! I came home after wearing them out and forgot to take them off because my feet were so warm and comfortable. One useless pair out and one less-than-desirable pair fixed.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4362 on: December 01, 2020, 10:25:28 AM »
Finally primed the book room last night. 1 can is empty and drying out for the trash.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4363 on: December 02, 2020, 12:30:12 PM »
Have identified a hand knit wool multicolored big floppy shirt that I was sure someone would want at the flea market ( but no interest) as destined for donation.
Just a matter of time now. Next time I'm going that way, it goes.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4364 on: December 02, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
We went through the Christmas lights, if less than 2/3's of the lights were burnt out, off they went.  Now all the strings are up and will fit into a smaller box when they come down.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4365 on: December 02, 2020, 05:11:39 PM »
Ofpym cleared out a whole clutter corner the other day while I was in back-to-back meetings.
this morning we are intermittently going through the overflowing with paper cube of our Billy bookcase and ripping up things we don't need to keep anymore.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4366 on: December 03, 2020, 06:57:20 AM »
I sold a few things on FB marketplace recently and have a few more things going out today.

I also FINALLY got DH to take the 15 year-old, only-semi-working TV out (the one that his buddy is supposed to fix).

DH seems to be decluttering some.  One of the medications he takes has the side effect of compulsive behavior disorder, which has turned his packrat tendencies into borderline hoarding.  Now that the med seems to be leveling out, he's getting better.  Sorta.  I keep telling myself that at least it's not compulsive gambling...

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4367 on: December 03, 2020, 05:59:33 PM »
I got some more items posted on Marketplace. I'll give it a week, then lower the price, then one more week and it gets donated.

I've started decluttering tasks as well as things. Instead of dreading and putting off things like making appointments, untangling insurance issues, etc, I just do it as soon as it pops up. In the main, it's taken less time to just do it than mental energy to avoid doing it.

And for new items coming in, I try to only touch it or decide about it once. No more putting mail aside to look through later, no more putting papers in a pile to look through when I get a minute. I just take the minute to put it away, do the task, or toss it.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4368 on: December 03, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »
Spent half an hour sorting through some costume jewelry and low cost sterling jewelry, to get it ready for jewelry store clerks to evaluate. Small stuff, so no big decluttering, but it has to be done anyway. Felt good just knowing I had spent the time on it, toward the final goal of a decluttered house. 

Finally took the quart tub of old blackened frozen peaches out of the fridge, threw out the peaches, rinsed and recycled the plastic tub. Less 'cold ballast' in fridge now, but one additional quart of open space.

Took the big floppy knit shirt to salvation army and put it in the bin.

Identified another book for donating to the library.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4369 on: December 03, 2020, 07:25:05 PM »
Trying to pass the baby stuff on quickly once we're done with it.  Out:
- Newborn, 3-6 mo clothes, swaddles
- Some pump parts I'm not using
- Mobile we never used
- Pregnancy books
- Bassinet
- And today, the baby swing!  Getting the tree tomorrow to replace it.

Bassinet and swing are big wins, take up so much space.
Sadly, we accepted a bunch of bulky toys recently from our neighbors so we're still in arrears on "stuff" in the house.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4370 on: December 04, 2020, 12:51:15 PM »
Identified a pair of pants for donation.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4371 on: December 04, 2020, 05:47:57 PM »
Took a bag of lights to a coworker. I am peeling off the last layer of stuff in my house, getting deep into drawers and storage areas. I was going to donate the bag and she mentioned wanting some. She was super happy with them and I got them out of my house. Now I have two more empty plastic storage boxes to get rid of.

Update on no junk drawer--I'm really enjoying having that drawer back in my kitchen. The big serving spoon and spatula fit perfectly in there, right by the stove and fridge. Why did I ever think I needed to devote an entire drawer to rubber bands and scrap paper?

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4372 on: December 04, 2020, 09:13:11 PM »
Update on no junk drawer--I'm really enjoying having that drawer back in my kitchen. The big serving spoon and spatula fit perfectly in there, right by the stove and fridge. Why did I ever think I needed to devote an entire drawer to rubber bands and scrap paper?

My kitchen is big enough that I have a junk drawer AND a junk cabinet.  When I move, the junk draw goes directly to the trash (saying that for accountability!), until then, it's not space I would otherwise use.  Today I happened to throw away 2 tubes of super glue from the junk drawer that had hardened, as well as some craft glue from the craft closet that's not any good (looking for something to repair a coffee table drawer that fell apart for no discernable reason).

I went through all my printed-out recipes in the kitchen today - threw out some that I know I didn't like, and the rest I am going to put in a binder for easier use and storage.  It appears I don't have a 3-hole punch, which seems impossible considering how many 3-ring binders I got rid of earlier this year.  Did I never have one, or did my XH take it when he moved out 10 years ago?  I guess I'll never know...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4373 on: December 05, 2020, 06:37:35 AM »
NotJen, if you have (oops, buy?) those plastic sleeves for papers, they have the holes for the binder and the plastic will protect your recipes from splatters.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4374 on: December 05, 2020, 06:56:53 AM »
NotJen, if you have (oops, buy?) those plastic sleeves for papers, they have the holes for the binder and the plastic will protect your recipes from splatters.

I might have a few of those sleeves.  I do have a 1-hole punch I can use, it will just be a little more work.

sb510

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4375 on: December 05, 2020, 08:24:13 AM »
New to this thread! I actually sorted through a lot of old clothing earlier this year but haven't managed to donate/get rid of all of them yet. My remaining clothes fit into two medium-sized wire baskets and my wardrobe is otherwise empty, which is an odd but liberating feeling. I'd also love to use up most/all of my skincare in the next two-three months before repurchasing only the stuff I actually need. Does anyone have any experience with this? Paper clutter is also an issue I'd like to tackle, although I might start with one pile in one part of the house instead of Marie Kondo-ing it like I did with clothes.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4376 on: December 05, 2020, 10:52:53 AM »

I might have a few of those sleeves.  I do have a 1-hole punch I can use, it will just be a little more work.

I used some old photo albums, the kind with the peelable plastic on the cardboard pages for recipes.  The recipes stick to the page and don't slide around and it's still wipeable.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4377 on: December 05, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »
But the splatters were what I used to pull my favorite recipes out of the pile!  All are successfully in a binder now - and the cabinet over the microwave holds only that one binder.

Sold some wineglasses last night and a large planter this morning on FB.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4378 on: December 05, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »
Whew, successful day today! In prep of Christmas and because I get sick of looking at stuff on surfaces, I did some decluttering.

Gone (well in a box by the car to get dropped off):
-an Aloe plant that did not give me joy because it kept trying to tip over
-5 crystal glasses that were a wedding present, did not bring me joy
-1 pair of pants that was too tight/clingy for work but which I will never wear outside of work (too dressy)
-a couple shirts that I haven't worn in a year
-a cool toy that a neighbor gave us, but that after the initial novelty we have no use for
-a few other odds and ends

Also cleaned out old fully melted candles from.the fireplace.

But coming in: a dog and all his supplies! We are adopting a 6 lb, 8 year old yorkie!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4379 on: December 05, 2020, 04:19:19 PM »
@MayDay Yay for a dog! and now you have made space for him!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4380 on: December 05, 2020, 06:39:14 PM »
Sold: 4 crystal glasses, a makeup sample, & a book

Went through my stationery area. Gave away 25+ greeting cards, a few birthday treat bags, St. Patrick's Day treat bags, gift card holders, & a bunch of other stuff through Buy Nothing.

When I'm feeling better, I'm planning to re-organize the entire cupboard.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4381 on: December 05, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
Tiny wins
- I am letting myself abandon a book at the 25% mark and that will be going to the nearest street library when I go for a walk once it cools down a little.
- I also threw out the jar of semi-dried tomatoes that had gone creepy looking and the well out of date packet of vegan queso that we were never ever going to make up.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4382 on: December 06, 2020, 10:16:30 AM »
More successful decluttering over here:

1 large box of clothes that DD outgrew or doesn't like. People need to stop buying her clothes because she has gotten picky! Gone are the days of dressing her up in cute outfits.

1 tub of misc stuff (toys) that the kids aren't quite ready then part with, but are willing to pack up in the garage "for now".

Came in: 1 dog sweater, green with a red bow to look like a Christmas package. Lolol I crack myself up.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4383 on: December 06, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »
Finished decluttering my closet because I lost weight. Someone gave my husband 5 boxes of inside Xmas lights which are going and I need to go through our coffee mugs and then donate.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4384 on: December 07, 2020, 09:23:21 AM »
DD suggested that we go through all the Christmas decorations and give away anything we don't use.  I did a huge purge last year by myself as I put everything away but amazing to have a kid on board with the decluttering.  (Could it be that she is avoiding doing her own stuff?) 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4385 on: December 07, 2020, 10:29:47 AM »
DD suggested that we go through all the Christmas decorations and give away anything we don't use.  I did a huge purge last year by myself as I put everything away but amazing to have a kid on board with the decluttering.  (Could it be that she is avoiding doing her own stuff?)

She is getting in practice, exercising her decluttering muscles.

We hope.   ;-)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4386 on: December 07, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
Accidental decluttering: cracked a champagne flute, tossed it out.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4387 on: December 07, 2020, 12:26:32 PM »
Burned old tax, home loan and refinance documents via the burn barrel.  :)

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #4388 on: December 07, 2020, 12:27:27 PM »
I did a big digital declutter because my dropbox was getting full. I also need to send my work computer to IT soon and wanted a nice, clean back up first. I didn't realize how much mental energy was being taken up wading through an old file organization system that wasn't serving me anymore. Much better.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4389 on: December 07, 2020, 05:55:08 PM »

This is how I store my recipes. They wipe right off, they're easy to clean, and easy to reorganize. When the pages get too gross, I just switch out the page and keep the recipe.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4390 on: December 07, 2020, 06:44:45 PM »
Listed 9 new things to FB Marketplace over the last couple of days.  Most were from the pile I was supposed to deal with a long time ago, and some were things around the house that caught my eye.  One item already went to the post office, and the others are put away in the 'eBay closet'.  There are still a couple of things left in the pile that I either need to list or throw away.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4391 on: December 08, 2020, 10:31:41 AM »
Made up the last pouch of powdered pudding mix, so I recycled the box. Not bringing any more pudding mix into the house.

Similarly, found old package of powdered alfredo mix in fridge. Used some of it yesterday, will eventually use it all up, not replace.   

Still enjoying, and noticing, the extra space in the fridge since I got rid of the old quart container of peaches.

Found an old empty jar of kikkoman soy sauce in a cabinet. Keeping it cuz it looks so interesting, and cuz I have been so good at using up, and recycling containers for a lot of the other stuff in there.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4392 on: December 08, 2020, 06:59:44 PM »
-Listed four Papyrus sealed gift card holders this weekend on eBay. Sold, & they are on their way to their new owner.
-Decluttered & organized stationery drawer, & turned previous large tub into container for school supplies. Entire area is much better organized, easy to use, & tidier.
-Went through & adjusted eBay listings to group like items, adjust pricing, etc. Made a quick sale this afternoon.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4393 on: December 09, 2020, 04:04:58 PM »
Partner got some hand-me-down clothes from a friend; he took what he wanted and the rest, plus a vase, went to Goodwill yesterday.

Turned a tiny bit of clutter into organizational help by using an old stationery pack box to hold some seed packets. Once seeds are planted, it all can get recycled/tossed!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4394 on: December 10, 2020, 06:23:00 AM »
An empty scrapbook paper container, a whole box of leftover craft kit paint tubs - all of them empty or dried to a solid rock with the lid adhere on forever and another bin of various paints that I haven't cracked open since 2017.  These are now gone from the craft cupboard and two shelves are empty!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4395 on: December 10, 2020, 08:28:42 AM »
Two empty shelves! Nice.     

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4396 on: December 10, 2020, 09:49:42 AM »
Got rid of two bookshelves which were blocking access to my garage freezer and workbench, and some nursing paraphernalia. I also got rid of our old dishwasher.  Craiglist free section is the bomb!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4397 on: December 10, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »
Well, I had thought I was done with decluttering last year, but since then, I have found the following items to donate:

- 21 books
- 2 glass bowls
- garden stepping stone
- bag of wax melts
- phone charger
- lettuce keeper
- 3 TV dinner trays
- sieve
- 3 tennis balls
- various greeting cards
- cookie tin
- over-door hanger
- various cat toys
- 2 vintage tupperware containers
- candle
- eye glass case
- 6 drinking glasses
- box of straws
- various sewing supplies
- 2 huge cardboard boxes

I managed to just get it all out of the house in the brief window of thrift stores being open between 2 lockdowns, so glad for that.  Now its been decided by the powers that be that they are an essential service, so if I find anything more, it won't be sitting around for months.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4398 on: December 10, 2020, 07:47:08 PM »
Crushing it, @SunnyDays ! Nice work. I've slowed down my progress this week. Work is busy, but I have tomorrow afternoon off & am hoping to find some junk to get out of the house.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4399 on: December 11, 2020, 06:13:24 AM »
DD saw the paint in the give away pile and now it is back in the cupboard.