Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249421 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #2850 on: August 22, 2019, 04:54:28 PM »
I had a few things kicking around in the freezer and pantry, mainly small servings of fruit (half a banana, quarter cup of strawberries etc). Friend of mine is having a birthday this weekend, and an idea was born!

Found a fantastic recipe for home made ice cream (with just a handheld mixer, no churning machine needed). Bought a carton of heavy cream and a tin of condensed milk, added my pantry leftovers. I now have 5 little jars of home made ice cream: strawberry cheesecake,  banana/walnut/chocolate, mango/lime, salted caramel, and rose with sprinkles (because why not). First time making this recipe, it was so easy! My fridge and pantry are a little bit emptier and I'm sure my friend will be happy getting 5 flavors of ice cream.
[/quote

Now that you have tested the recipe, could you please post the web site for the rest of us?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2851 on: August 22, 2019, 08:04:29 PM »
I had a few things kicking around in the freezer and pantry, mainly small servings of fruit (half a banana, quarter cup of strawberries etc). Friend of mine is having a birthday this weekend, and an idea was born!

Found a fantastic recipe for home made ice cream (with just a handheld mixer, no churning machine needed). Bought a carton of heavy cream and a tin of condensed milk, added my pantry leftovers. I now have 5 little jars of home made ice cream: strawberry cheesecake,  banana/walnut/chocolate, mango/lime, salted caramel, and rose with sprinkles (because why not). First time making this recipe, it was so easy! My fridge and pantry are a little bit emptier and I'm sure my friend will be happy getting 5 flavors of ice cream.

That is a great present. I would love to get a present like that.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2852 on: August 23, 2019, 04:38:21 AM »

Now that you have tested the recipe, could you please post the web site for the rest of us?

+1, please share!  I've got some apricot slices in my freezer that keep getting passed over for smoothies...

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2853 on: August 23, 2019, 04:47:55 AM »
Bought 2 small glass shelves at IKEA for bathroom storage.  They replaced 2 mesh bags.  I tossed what was expired and kept only what I wanted.  Now these items are visible and easy accessible with the bonus of the bathroom being overall neater and nicer looking. 
(it's another example of the way decluttering seems to work best for me:  after I figure out which type of storage or display unit would be most functional and attractive, then I can easily replace what wasn't useful and toss or donate the junk. I can't seem to do the process in reverse.)

I find that after I've tried to sell an item at my weekly rummage sale, and it doesn't sell for a few weeks, even at a very low price, I am eager and happy to donate it or toss it, lol.  Otherwise, there's that feeling of 'loss' when donating or tossing it.   

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2854 on: August 23, 2019, 10:28:34 AM »
Well, our big moving day is tomorrow. I was gone last week to drive with my son across the country to college, so that was a car-load of stuff out of my house! And my oldest kid, sigh. I know he is so excited, and I'm really excited for him, but the other coast is so far away!

Anyway, I didn't get as much decluttering done before the move as I had hoped. The summer got away from me, between two trips and work and everything else. I know that we'll probably have to do some VVA pick ups at the new house too. I guess I'll just be really ruthless while unpacking since we are down to "throw all the things left in boxes and sort it out later" this afternoon...oh well. The sellers left a giant ugly mirror and I already have 5 people interested on buy nothing so that should be gone today or tomorrow, I hope.

I still have some not-great furniture that I need to deal with, but the buyers aren't moving in until the following weekend and I can leave some stuff in the garage to deal with next week. I am NOT looking forward to especially the next week or two (and the next month overall) but we are now entirely debt free except for a 160k mortgage, so that will make it all worth it in the end. :) There will be more decluttering reports from me in the next few weeks for sure!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2855 on: August 24, 2019, 04:30:30 AM »
I have decluttered on a huge scale - for me - over the past couple of weeks. I have a big bag of rags which has lived under my laundry sink for the last 7 years which I have never used. They are going to the op shop' which sells bags of rags for $8AUD to tradies. Now I have several old towels neatly stacked in the cupboard to mop up spills. If I need more rags I will cut up a towel.

Rearranged my kitchen cupboards so everything stacks neatly. Took 2 minutes. Previously, I would swear every time I wanted the wok, or splatterguard, or a baking tray. Now everything is easily accessible. Donated an 8 pocket rectangular loaf tin.

Cleaned out my baking drawer, which I had been dreading. It was full of stuff I used when the kids were younger: icing pens, sprinkles, food dyes. It made me very nostalgic for more innocent and fun times. I hardly bake any more as our tastes have changed and there is only 1 almost adult kid living at home, but I allowed myself to mourn the passing of time.

The biggest effort was completed by my husband who completely decluttered our sheds in order to host a golfers' weekend. It all looks fantastic and spacious. Just need to get a friend to pick up our 2nd fridge which we are giving away, and find a home for 2 fireplace guards.

I feel a little bereft now, as I will have to wait 6 weeks to fully declutter and organise the 16 year old's room when we get it painted. Would really love to hire myself out to help others but am a little scared of putting myself out there...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2856 on: August 24, 2019, 09:17:34 AM »
Bought a much smaller desk, so now my mega-desk that's been on indefinite loan from my Brother can go back to him. This makes a lot more room in the office/guest space/kinda nursery. Means the bassinet in there can be against the wall, rather than pretty much in the middle of the room. It also gives me less desktop space, which will reduce my (and AHEM my husband's) dumping of random things on my desk. This also means, if we decide the pack n play in our bedroom isn't cutting it, we'll be able to make room for a full size crib.

So, a little improvement now, hopefully stem more mess later, and give us flexibility for later! For $25, I think this is all around a pretty clear win.

I did also find some papers to shred and recycle, and some bits and bobs to donate, while transferring the desk over.

I hardly bake any more as our tastes have changed and there is only 1 almost adult kid living at home, but I allowed myself to mourn the passing of time.

That's such an important step <3

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2857 on: August 24, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »
The painter came last week to do 2 projects that I am not capable of doing (I do mostly DIY painting, but the 2nd floor and stairwell are no-gos). One can of paint in the trash!

Put a couple items of clothing in the go away box. Mostly, been decluttering the to-do list more than physical items.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2858 on: August 24, 2019, 09:37:11 PM »
Salvaged 3 boxes from the latest Costco run. My plan is that if I put them upstairs where all the stuff is that needs to be declutterred, I will get to it.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2859 on: August 25, 2019, 10:01:40 PM »
Not sure what to do with a drawer full of artists acrylic paints. The kids used them in their art classes but that was 5 years ago. I should let them go, but something is holding me back. I crochet, knit and quilt and will never use them myself. Maybe I am finding it so difficult because they are a reminder if the time before everyone became surgically attached to their phones. Sigh.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2860 on: August 25, 2019, 10:03:34 PM »
What, no one noticed my missing Week 8 report?  I'm disappointed in you folks!
My excuse is that I was out of town with only my phone, then discovered I'd forgotten to bring my charger and the battery was already low, so didn't want to drain it further.  So I now have 2 weeks of stuff to report.

Weeks 8 & 9:

50. Make- up brush - thrift store.
51. Straw sun hat, brand new, with tag - to be offered to relative.
52. CD - accidentally bought a duplicate of one I had, so to be returned to store.
53. 2 paint cans - to be taken to hardware store for recycling.
54. Paperback - set aside for animal shelter garage sale.
55. 3 plastic food containers I never use - same garage sale.
56. Plastic lettuce keeper - garage sale.
57. 3 final plant pots - thrift store.
58. 2 useable rug remnants - thrift store.
59. Makeshift 2 x 4 "table" - to be taken apart and wood given to family member.
60. Small end table - garage sale.
61. Pile of pens - dried out, so ordered refills from EBay, and once received, will be donated to thrift store.  Is this going too far in the name of conservation?  Most people would just pitch them.
62. Miscellaneous horse stuff - some will be given to garage sale but I might try to sell some things, like a saddle pad, stirrups and brushes.  I've held onto this stuff for way too long, both because it reminds me of my departed horses, and also because it's hard to acknowledge that my riding days are over.  I'll keep a few key pieces, but it's time to let the rest go and be of use to someone else.
63. Bike, brand new with tags - can't do bike riding anymore either, so will sell it.

I feel like I'm now into decluttering more significant stuff, both emotionally, and in terms of value and freed-up space.  While one part of me appreciates more clear space in the house, another part is somehow feeling less protected and more exposed.  The ton of little things I've gotten rid of in this challenge and in previous years has been a relief, but now it's definitely getting psychologically harder.  But I will persevere anyway, because I'm not a quitter! I'm sure I will adjust.  Onwards!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2861 on: August 26, 2019, 05:04:18 AM »
Not sure what to do with a drawer full of artists acrylic paints. The kids used them in their art classes but that was 5 years ago. I should let them go, but something is holding me back. I crochet, knit and quilt and will never use them myself. Maybe I am finding it so difficult because they are a reminder if the time before everyone became surgically attached to their phones. Sigh.

I'm coming across lots of painting supplies in my decluttering. Paint of all sorts, and brushes too. I don't have the emotional attachment to it that you do, since my girl friend, who hoarded the supplies,  never painted. 

No one wants to buy them on Craigslist, so I put them all in a big box, snuck them all into the crafting room at my mom's retirement place when no one was looking! 

(BTW, I'm still finding more painting supplies as I go deeper into the hoard. )

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2862 on: August 26, 2019, 05:24:12 AM »
What, no one noticed my missing Week 8 report?  I'm disappointed in you folks!

61. Pile of pens - dried out, so ordered refills from EBay, and once received, will be donated to thrift store.  Is this going too far in the name of conservation?  Most people would just pitch them.

>>>>>  not me. I test out all the pens I find and keep them if they work. When they don't work, it makes me happy since I can throw them out. I have hundreds of pens. I never keep the free pens at the bank.   <<<<<<

I feel like I'm now into decluttering more significant stuff, both emotionally, and in terms of value and freed-up space.  While one part of me appreciates more clear space in the house, another part is somehow feeling less protected and more exposed.  The ton of little things I've gotten rid of in this challenge and in previous years has been a relief, but now it's definitely getting psychologically harder.  But I will persevere anyway, because I'm not a quitter! I'm sure I will adjust.  Onwards!

I'm getting a wary feeling now that more floor space is being exposed. Glad, but wary. Hmmmm.  (lying on couch for Freudian psychoanalysis, lol)   And I've been at this for 2 and a half years now! I must have recycled a thousand pounds of paper clutter. And donated, sold, or thrown out hundreds of individual things.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2863 on: August 26, 2019, 06:50:11 AM »

I read years ago on a decluttering forum that the hard decluttering is when we declutter things that were aspirational or part of former activities.  Because when we declutter those things, we are admitting/acknowledging to ourselves that we will never be that person, or be that person again.

When I moved to the apartment, and therefore decluttered my life by getting rid of a house, I had to acknowledge that I am no longer the Mom whose daughter visits and sleeps over.  I am also no longer a heavy-duty gardener, since selling the house means I also decluttered a whole garden out of my life.  I know we don't tend to think of these major life changes as decluttering, but they are, on a larger scale - after all, I could have moved to a house or town house and had the spare bedroom and a smaller garden.  But they are gone from my life now.  And of course I have also decluttered the job description of "general contractor for my house".    ;-)

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2864 on: August 26, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
Glad to see I'm not alone in these feelings.  I'm surrounded by people who throw things out without a second thought!  I think as I age (58 now), there's definitely a loss of identity in ridding myself of certain things, and knowing it's the start of continual future losses as I get even older is hard.  The acquisition years were a whole lot easier.

I'll get my note book, Slackmax, I'm a retired psychologist!  Oh, the irony!  How far along to finished would you say you are, in terms of percentage?  I think I'm about 80 % there, and I've been at it about the same amount of time, but it sounds like you're starting with way more stuff.

RetiredAt63, I don't look forward to that kind of move.  I know I will hang onto my house as long as possible, and I see my dad, who's 88, doing the same thing.  I want to WANT to move, and not be forced by circumstances, like health issues.  I'm not really a "go with the flow" kind of person.  I like my control!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2865 on: August 26, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »
For the art supplies - would the art program at the local school like them? Assuming there is an art program. If not, I'm sure you could find an after school program that's on a budget or similar.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2866 on: August 26, 2019, 07:14:05 PM »
Convinced my husband to part with a hanging garment bag that he's never used & had for several years. It's a very nice Tumi, so I will attempt to sell it on eBay. I've asked all summer for him to come up with a list of things I can sell or donate, but he's a bit of a clutter bug, so this is a big step.

For helping others, I also listed 4 really nice clothing items from my sister on eBay. She's struggling financially, and I have a bunch of eBay listings already up, so it's easy to help out. At any rate, these are now out of her house & soon enough will be out of mine.

Received my ThredUp bag today, & I'll be putting a bunch of kid clothes (already gathered, ready to go) into the bag & a few of my items. I've heard you don't get much, but the items are currently getting zero use, so anything would be a bonus.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2867 on: August 27, 2019, 01:50:54 AM »
The drawer of paints will get dealt with as a 2 part process. Last night I went through and binned  all the dried out tubes, and put aside all the duplicate colours (had sets for both kids). One set is going to a friend who home schools, and I am -temporarily - holding on to the other lot for my daughter wwhen she comes home on her Uni break next month. I will donate them if she doesn't want them.  But at least I have cleared out a whole drawer as they all fit with the drawing pencils/charcoals etc. I put the mini tubes of watercolours on my desk and if i don't use them by the end if the year they are gone.  *Love* an empty drawer!!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2868 on: August 27, 2019, 04:39:43 AM »
Convinced my husband to part with a hanging garment bag that he's never used & had for several years. It's a very nice Tumi, so I will attempt to sell it on eBay. I've asked all summer for him to come up with a list of things I can sell or donate, but he's a bit of a clutter bug, so this is a big step.

For helping others, I also listed 4 really nice clothing items from my sister on eBay. She's struggling financially, and I have a bunch of eBay listings already up, so it's easy to help out. At any rate, these are now out of her house & soon enough will be out of mine.

Received my ThredUp bag today, & I'll be putting a bunch of kid clothes (already gathered, ready to go) into the bag & a few of my items. I've heard you don't get much, but the items are currently getting zero use, so anything would be a bonus.

Maybebabymoustache, can you comment on ebay charging taxes on sales? When you make a listing I believe you can opt out of collecting taxes. My state (CT) has a clause that says "If you're located in state and making casual and occasional sales only (i.e., not running a business or using a resale certificate) you are not required to register for sales tax." My question is, seems ebay is charging tax on everything sold on ebay. So, what is the responsibility of the seller in regard to the taxes ebay has collected? I used to be an avid seller and want to start selling again, but this tax thing has me perplexed.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2869 on: August 27, 2019, 06:30:50 AM »
Glad to see I'm not alone in these feelings.  I'm surrounded by people who throw things out without a second thought!  I think as I age (58 now), there's definitely a loss of identity in ridding myself of certain things, and knowing it's the start of continual future losses as I get even older is hard.  The acquisition years were a whole lot easier.

I'll get my note book, Slackmax, I'm a retired psychologist!  Oh, the irony!  How far along to finished would you say you are, in terms of percentage?  I think I'm about 80 % there, and I've been at it about the same amount of time, but it sounds like you're starting with way more stuff.

RetiredAt63, I don't look forward to that kind of move.  I know I will hang onto my house as long as possible, and I see my dad, who's 88, doing the same thing.  I want to WANT to move, and not be forced by circumstances, like health issues.  I'm not really a "go with the flow" kind of person.  I like my control!

Psych major here, Sunnydays!  Skinner, Maslow, Adler, et al.   Remember Transactional Analysis? Those were the days, lol.

Yes, I started with a house straight out of 'Hoarders'. Pathways through very tightly packed 'stuff' in every room except bathrooms.

I'd say I'm about 51% done.  And no matter how many trips I make to the Salvation Army, it always looks 51% done. Maybe because as I take the piles apart, the clutter expands into the open space.

I'm consolidating some stuff, and just relocating some stuff. But I'm not taking any new stuff in, so I know that the clutter is going OUT.   

I spend a lot of time and effort trying to sell stuff, like old printers, 'rare' magazines, etc because I only feel right about donating it if I can't sell it, or can get very little for it. 

My parents were both non-hoarders. Nice stuff out with the trash every week when they were downsizing. I saw the garbage men take stuff into the passenger part of the truck sometimes, lol.   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2870 on: August 27, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »

Oh, I like my control too.  And I understand staying, my grandmother stayed in her house until she was 90.  Despite my inner gardener screaming at me, I wanted to move.  The reasons to move were much more compelling than the reasons to stay.  And I am basically healthy, and want to do things that having a house would make quite difficult.  I think this kind of move is a lot easier done sooner rather than later.  And I have to admit, the house I planned to live in until I was carried out feet first was 2 houses ago.  Leaving that house hurt.  There was no major emotional attachment to the house I just sold.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2871 on: August 27, 2019, 07:33:22 AM »

Maybebabymoustache, can you comment on ebay charging taxes on sales? When you make a listing I believe you can opt out of collecting taxes. My state (CT) has a clause that says "If you're located in state and making casual and occasional sales only (i.e., not running a business or using a resale certificate) you are not required to register for sales tax." My question is, seems ebay is charging tax on everything sold on ebay. So, what is the responsibility of the seller in regard to the taxes ebay has collected? I used to be an avid seller and want to start selling again, but this tax thing has me perplexed

Wow, I haven't looked into the sales tax thing, but I certainly will. That's really interesting. I'll need to see what the requirements are in CA.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2872 on: August 27, 2019, 11:12:46 AM »
For the art supplies - would the art program at the local school like them? Assuming there is an art program. If not, I'm sure you could find an after school program that's on a budget or similar.

+1

I second donating to the school.  I (finally) started cleaning out my home office/gym closet and desk a few weekends ago.  I donated barely used Crayons, several unopened note pads, stickers, and several other items to our neighbor who teaches third grade.  She was very grateful.

Regarding clothing:  I donated 3 carefully selected tops, a belt, and some toiletries including a package of pretty, unused emery boards, to a local thrift shop last week.  The tops are 3X, and the store person said they are always looking for larger sizes. :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2873 on: August 27, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »
I have been able to get back into doing little tiny zones of clutter removal.  It feels so good just to achieve one small thing. What is great is that it doesn't take long and I don't need to ask anyone's permission.  I can feel the 'clean' of having a drawer or shelf empty of old and dusty junk. 
One area I have been working on:
I inherited my grandmothers sewing machine and supplies almost twenty years ago.  The machine has its own piece of furniture it drops down into with three drawers on one side.  I have never done anything with the junk in those drawers.  She had kept every bit and bob ever.  I just boxed them up in smaller boxes that came with all the supplies and shoved them in those drawers.  If someone gave me something sewing related, I just stuffed it in there.  So I started with one box - metal bits into the recycling, and plastic into the garbage.  Smelly card board boxes also into the recycling.  When I got the sewing machine, I couldn't throw out anything but now I look at those rusty pins and think - why are these here?  I like being able to open the drawer and see my sharp fabric scissors and not get a nose full of dusty moldy. 
In addition to getting rid of what was essentially garbage in those three drawers, I was inspired to do a bunch a mending, hemming and even re-purposed a skirt that I love the fabric of but not the cut and a dress that was too big when I bought it on sale into a skirt that is great.  Two skirts that were too small got handed down to daughter who was very pleased as well.  A couple of other items that didn't suit anyone got donated. So now there is no pile a textiles on the ironing board either!  And the bin in the closet is now half empty.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2874 on: August 27, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
Oh man, I am SO TIRED of stuff and more motivated than ever to get ride of more. We are still moving stuff out of the old garage (OMFG) and I cannot believe how much stuff we still have. I thought I had done a great job of decluttering and I realize I was nowhere near where I thought I was. Seriously, going from 3,690 to 1,642 square feet is NO JOKE. I am elated at the financial side, but dealing with all the stuff has been horrendous. We aren't bothering to sell most of it; it isn't worth our time (both engineers making 6 figures). I have a bunch of stuff to give my mom to sell on ebay and she can keep the proceeds. I have donated stuff to VVA, refugee groups. I've offered stuff up on buy nothing, gifted to friends, neighbors, and co-workers as appropriate. I am still overwhelmed by how much we have left. It's been extremely eye opening and alarming. I'm really glad to have a three day weekend coming up because I want to push through the unpacking and get rid of more stuff along the way. I hate that we got to the point of "throw everything in boxes and we'll deal with it on the other side" but with the oldest going off to college the week before the move, well, life got in the way.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2875 on: August 27, 2019, 02:15:05 PM »
I mended a cardigan, a pair of shorts, and one of my partner's sweaters on Sunday and brought them back into rotation. Clutter --> usable objects! Huzzah!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2876 on: August 27, 2019, 02:39:47 PM »
I mended a cardigan, a pair of shorts, and one of my partner's sweaters on Sunday and brought them back into rotation. Clutter --> usable objects! Huzzah!

The best kind of decluttering!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2877 on: August 27, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »
Oh man, I am SO TIRED of stuff and more motivated than ever to get ride of more. We are still moving stuff out of the old garage (OMFG) and I cannot believe how much stuff we still have. I thought I had done a great job of decluttering and I realize I was nowhere near where I thought I was. Seriously, going from 3,690 to 1,642 square feet is NO JOKE. I am elated at the financial side, but dealing with all the stuff has been horrendous. We aren't bothering to sell most of it; it isn't worth our time (both engineers making 6 figures). I have a bunch of stuff to give my mom to sell on ebay and she can keep the proceeds. I have donated stuff to VVA, refugee groups. I've offered stuff up on buy nothing, gifted to friends, neighbors, and co-workers as appropriate. I am still overwhelmed by how much we have left. It's been extremely eye opening and alarming. I'm really glad to have a three day weekend coming up because I want to push through the unpacking and get rid of more stuff along the way. I hate that we got to the point of "throw everything in boxes and we'll deal with it on the other side" but with the oldest going off to college the week before the move, well, life got in the way.

I feel for you/ with you. I just moved from a 1200 square foot 3 bedroom bungalow with a fully finished basement and a huge 2 car garage to a 920 square foot apartment with a parking spot and an almost 3 foot by almost 4 foot locker.  I started decluttering and donating 2 years ago and I  still had too much stuff.  I may still have too much stuff.   

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2878 on: August 27, 2019, 10:21:47 PM »
I received an expensive tote bag through work.

I opened the parcel, emailed the person to say thank you for the bag, then immediately donated it to a charity which puts together hampers for women escaping domestic violence.

She fulfilled her obligation to give me something. I used it as an opportunity to support one of my favourite charities. Easy come, easy go.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #2879 on: August 28, 2019, 03:15:27 PM »
@lazycow good going on the empty drawer!!!

@MountainGal you have found excellent places for your excess!

@Frugal Lizard getting rid of those drawers of dusty moldy...nice!

@FireHiker I feel you on the "throw everything in boxes and we'll deal with it on the other side" phase.  Just accomplished my own move.  Commiseration.

@diapasoun You're my inspiration! I will try to use your sterling example (and Frugal Lizard's) to get my own mending/sewing done. 

@mustachepungoeshere I have done the same thing...no use keeping a thing you never had a need for!

As mentioned in my last post on this thread, I've moved apartments.  I was able to cull 2 sizeable boxes before hitting the "just gotta get it moved" threshold & packed up everything that's left.  Those boxes have been donated, thankfully. 

Also sold the extra bike, and should sell the hand truck to a Craigslist person tomorrow.  Hopefully he does not flake out.

Up next are a socket wrench set, printer/scanner and the vacuum.  The new place has mostly hard floors, I don't need a "widepath" vacuum for sure.  Bedrooms are carpeted, so I may get a sweeper or stick vac...will check the thrift shops first for sure.  So that's less decluttering and more like down sizing :)

Combined, this is a rather large footprint out the door (especially the bike); pleased with progress so far.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2880 on: August 28, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
Everyone is doing great. I am starting to get some spaces in my previously double stacked bookshelves and taking a note from my mum, am getting rid of any books that make me feel bad. I am also deleting ebooks that I bought, didn't like but haven't got rid of yet. Why was I saving them? I don't want to reread them!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2881 on: August 28, 2019, 05:35:30 PM »
Filled a bag for ThredUp. It's getting picked up tomorrow, so I'll follow up with whether it was worthwhile. I've heard mixed feedback. I need to keep going & tackle the kitchen. It's pretty much the last frontier, as I've largely decluttered the rest of the house.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2882 on: August 28, 2019, 06:50:56 PM »
A basement clutter exorcism is done!    Had our college kids dorm/apt furniture stored temporarily for summer which was OK.   But that good stuff hid some “bad” stuff that we hadnt had the discipline to purge after our recent move.   Now 3 truckloads of donation runs later, 2 dining tables, cabinet, boxed triplicative china, misc chairs, old lamps and lots of old hand me downs are GONE!   Add a healthy curb trash load for things picky charities wouldn’t take in a good economy (I remember ‘09 they would take ANYTHING)   We now often stop and just gaze  at how cool the finished basement space is now without all the Clutter!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2883 on: August 29, 2019, 06:27:52 AM »
A basement clutter exorcism is done!    Had our college kids dorm/apt furniture stored temporarily for summer which was OK.   But that good stuff hid some “bad” stuff that we hadnt had the discipline to purge after our recent move.   Now 3 truckloads of donation runs later, 2 dining tables, cabinet, boxed triplicative china, misc chairs, old lamps and lots of old hand me downs are GONE!   Add a healthy curb trash load for things picky charities wouldn’t take in a good economy (I remember ‘09 they would take ANYTHING)   We now often stop and just gaze  at how cool the finished basement space is now without all the Clutter!

You have motivated me to donate at least one bag of never-used china and 'collector item' (ha ha) plastic Wawa 20 ounce cups  from my overstuffed kitchen cabinets. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2884 on: August 29, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »
Everyone is doing great. I am starting to get some spaces in my previously double stacked bookshelves and taking a note from my mum, am getting rid of any books that make me feel bad. I am also deleting ebooks that I bought, didn't like but haven't got rid of yet. Why was I saving them? I don't want to reread them!

I've done book purges also. I only keep the ones that I have read and re-read, or ones that have sentimental value - like books I loved as a kid. Every so often I re-read those.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2885 on: August 30, 2019, 05:58:06 PM »
Decluttering is apparently invading my subconscious, because last night I had a dream that our master bedroom was this giant expanse with a big fireplace flanked by shelving all along one wall.  Suddenly I realized the previous homeowners had left various random tchochkes on those shelves, and I was going through trying to get rid of them.  Then I was shoving dirty clothes into a pile and wondering how it was such a big pile, and hadn't I just done laundry?  This wasn't as bad as a dream from a few weeks ago where the house had ceilings and shelving on approximately the scale of a CostCo warehouse, and I was aware that there were valuable antique books and things mixed in with the crap, and it was going to take me years to go through it all.

And then I woke up and breathed a sigh of relief.

I'm on staycation next week, so I'm sure I'll do some decluttering.  Right now I see some Priority Mail boxes that can go back to the Post Office.  I'll be getting some horse blankets cleaned and re-waterproofed so I can sell them once the weather cools a bit (no one seems to think about buying blankets until it's cold).  There is a trunk full of random horse gear to go through.  I think it's mostly decluttered already, but certainly a few things can and should be listed on eBay.  Outside, I need to go through the greenhouse, which has turned into a bit of a dumping ground for gardening supplies, and get it tidied up.  I'm sure I'll find some other clutter to deal with as well while I'm tinkering around the house.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2886 on: August 31, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »
Thursday's Craigslist person showed up and purchased the hand truck, yay!

Today I made it to the haz mat place before it closed and dropped off a bag of chemicals. Bonus, the had mat lady wanted the bag, which saves me from taking it to a thrift shop, woot!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2887 on: September 01, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
Week 10 report:

64. 13" CRT TV.  What to do with it?  Works perfectly, but no one wants them anymore.  Hate to recycle a "good" item.
65. 26" CRT TV.  Ditto above.
66. Shedding blade for dog - to go to animal rescue.
67. Brand new bathmat - will ask various relatives if they want it, otherwise, goes to animal rescue garage sale.
68. Brand new round brush - to be offered to relative.
69. Brand new paddle brush - ditto above.
70. Worn-out tee shirt - fabric recycling.

One more month's worth of items to go.  Can I find enough stuff?  Yes, I think I can.  And probably then some, because I'll be starting on my dad's place next.  He's 88 and guess who inherits it all?  So, some pre-emptive strikes are in order, with his blessing.  I'm looking forward to reaching the "click point" that Marie Kondo talks about.  Once I'm done, I won't know what to think about - this is becoming a lot more mentally consuming than I imagined.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2888 on: September 02, 2019, 07:04:13 AM »
Week 10 report:

64. 13" CRT TV.  What to do with it?  Works perfectly, but no one wants them anymore.  Hate to recycle a "good" item.
65. 26" CRT TV.  Ditto above.
66. Shedding blade for dog - to go to animal rescue.
67. Brand new bathmat - will ask various relatives if they want it, otherwise, goes to animal rescue garage sale.
68. Brand new round brush - to be offered to relative.
69. Brand new paddle brush - ditto above.
70. Worn-out tee shirt - fabric recycling.

One more month's worth of items to go.  Can I find enough stuff?  Yes, I think I can.  And probably then some, because I'll be starting on my dad's place next.  He's 88 and guess who inherits it all?  So, some pre-emptive strikes are in order, with his blessing.  I'm looking forward to reaching the "click point" that Marie Kondo talks about.  Once I'm done, I won't know what to think about - this is becoming a lot more mentally consuming than I imagined.

I think someone might take your tvs for free on Craigslist, no? 

I was looking for a 25 inch free tv, but I actually haven't pilled the trigger and gotten one, I must admit, since I have 2 working 22 inchers,  20 inch, and a 13 inch, in different rooms. 

I have a crystal clear My 25 inch CRT tv, but it only works well in the winter, since it likes cool temps, and I keep it down around 64 degrees, lol.     

I'm wondering what I'll do with the 25 incher if it totally dies. I'm not willing to spend the $40 they want here to recycle it.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #2889 on: September 02, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »
I did some huge decluttering yesterday. Not in volume but in feelings :-)
I dropped off some things at goodwill, INCLUDING my old vinyl records. They are from my late teenage/early twenties so 25+ years old. Have not listened to the since then. The have moved with me so many times and been in the way a lot. However, the were really important to me then, I was a bit of an outsider when it came to music and they were part of my identity (in a positive way, something I'm still happy and proud of).

However, I made a list of them in an email to myself and that is enough for me nowadays. Showed them to my young kids who could not understand how music could come out of those :-D. And then I said goodbye.

Today I feel nothing but happiness to have decreased even more sentimental clutter from my life.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2890 on: September 02, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »
I dropped off some things at goodwill, INCLUDING my old vinyl records. They are from my late teenage/early twenties so 25+ years old. Have not listened to the since then. The have moved with me so many times and been in the way a lot. However, the were really important to me then, I was a bit of an outsider when it came to music and they were part of my identity (in a positive way, something I'm still happy and proud of).

However, I made a list of them in an email to myself and that is enough for me nowadays. Showed them to my young kids who could not understand how music could come out of those :-D. And then I said goodbye.

Today I feel nothing but happiness to have decreased even more sentimental clutter from my life.

Good for you.  I have my old albums from the 60s and 70s and my parents' albums from the 50s, but no turntable.  I don't have digital versions of most of these, so I am debating buying a turntable.  I need to go through them all and see if I really want to listen to them again, or just use YouTube.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2891 on: September 02, 2019, 01:03:38 PM »
DS and DIL bought a house, so I could finally hand off all the tools my dad left to him.  It felt like 400 pounds.  Also took up all the Lego (bins and bins of it!) from DS' childhood, and random other things he was storing at our house.  Completely filled the back seat/floor and trunk area of our Versa.

Bonus was to watch our 3 year old grandson discover Daddy's Lego, and go crazy with building all the things over the weekend.    : )

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2892 on: September 02, 2019, 01:06:29 PM »

Good for you.  I have my old albums from the 60s and 70s and my parents' albums from the 50s, but no turntable.  I don't have digital versions of most of these, so I am debating buying a turntable.  I need to go through them all and see if I really want to listen to them again, or just use YouTube.

I'm pretty well set up emotionally for decluttering my old vinyl.  I listen to them one at a time and decide whether to keep or not. If 'not' I try to sell it at the weekly rummage sale I go to. So far I have sold about a dozen, I suppose. Glad to be rid of them.  I have about 20 records left in my 'sell' box, that no one wants, apparently! Stanley Clarke (jazz)  Willie Nelson (country) and a lot of classical. Thought for sure I'd have sold the Willie Nelson by now, lol.   

And I don't mind the space that's taken up by the ones I like.

I do have an old turntable and a stereo that still works.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2893 on: September 02, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »
Put a shirt in the donation bin today when I realized I had two nearly identical shirts in the closet. I'm more of a slow declutterer, but I like to try & find one thing to sell, donate or trash every day.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2894 on: September 03, 2019, 08:43:21 AM »
I cleaned out a couple of kitchen cabinets and filled up a box to donate.  Why did I have two hand crank meat grinders?  Or the electric frying pan with no lid?  I'm still holding on to my crockpots because I did actually use all of them two weeks ago to make chicken stock.  I've also got a kitchen table and chair set that's been listed on Marketplace for a couple of weeks now with no bites.  My husband says he knows someone who needs it, and will take it to them tomorrow (he's been saying this for two weeks now).  It will be going to the thrift store soon if he doesn't get on it.

I've got a bunch of the kiddo's clothes hung up and tags printed out for the consignment sale.  It looks like I'm only going to fill about half of my 200 available slots this time around though.  I might sneak some toys in since I have space left.  That'll be next weekend and at least 75% of that stuff will be gone whether it sells or not.  Of course, any sales I have will only go to offset the new clothes that I'll buy since the kid won't stop outgrowing his clothes after three wears.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2895 on: September 03, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
Well, it's taken over a week, but was finally able to recycle 4 pieces of paper. They represent my task lists at work for Jan to April.  I've been pulled in so many directions that haven't had the time to tackle all the tiny tasks that are part of my core job. But that's hopefully changing! These 4 papers are evidence.

It took over 2 weeks, but I finally recycled another 1-page work task list, this one for May.  Feels good, but unfortunately this is not an unfettered happy dance post.  Because I just printed out this month's task list, so I still have 3 pages.  As of now, I'm only 2 months behind on 10 tasks and 1 month behind on 6 additional tasks.  The game plan is to complete prior month's tasks as this month's deadline arrives, but that's been the game plan since I fell behind.  And see how well that worked :-/

Still, happy to be more caught up than I was on Friday.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #2896 on: September 03, 2019, 09:28:49 PM »
sold an item on ebay and mailed it out!  $in, stuff out!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2897 on: September 04, 2019, 10:12:43 AM »

Me too! Randomly sold three items yesterday, after selling nothing for a week.
-Old tie from my husband
-New pair of flip flops that were a gift & didn't fit
-A jewelry roll/organizer that I've never used. (Also a gift)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2898 on: September 04, 2019, 04:13:52 PM »
Also today:
-Put another shirt in the donation pile
-Found a huge stack of old eBay shipping receipts - from 2017. Recycled all of them.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #2899 on: September 04, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »

Me too! Randomly sold three items yesterday, after selling nothing for a week.
-Old tie from my husband
-New pair of flip flops that were a gift & didn't fit
-A jewelry roll/organizer that I've never used. (Also a gift)

That’s awesome!
My item was a gift too...
My eBay store is empty - gotta restock