Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249399 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #950 on: July 11, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »
As part of the Great Shuffling Around of a week ago <snip>

lol!

Intended to just strip all the paper out and lob it straight into the recycling. <snip>

It's not too late!

<snip> I end up finding things I didn't realize needed to go so I start another box.

Same!

They are at a good place now! We just moved a few months back and had got rid of a lot of clothing.

It's a good feeling, having just the *right* amount of something.

@Linda_Norway I guess you have to have some patience for the flea market drop off day.  Not easy!

============================================================

I am working from home today and on my lunch hour I:

• emptied the filing supplies onto a table so I know what I have
  • used the now-empty box to hold the papers related to condo sold this year
  • realized while typing this list that those papers can go to patio storage (after work is done today)
  • put away the canvas bag the condo papers were in
  • copied my summary page from the 2017 taxes for 2018 (early!  I usually do this at tax time)
  • updated the 2018 tax summary with info so far (closed bank accounts)
  • filed the 2017 tax folder
  • moved the box of taxes to patio storage closet

This might all fall under @dashuk's heading of "The Great Shuffling Around" (or more accurately, The Lesser Shuffling Around of July the Eleventh), but I did move 1 bag, 1 box and soon to be another box out of my living area and to their homes (I always want to say "final resting place").

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #951 on: July 15, 2018, 09:00:27 AM »
Tried to get the kids to sort through costumes I thought they were done with. They ended up playing with them for several hours instead. No decluttering accomplished. We are giving away a salad spinner and a food processor. Neither have been used more than once a year. I loathe cleaning the food processor so I refuse to get it out. More open space in the cabinets!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #952 on: July 15, 2018, 09:35:19 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a food processor (arthritis makes chopping and mortar and pestle work hard). In keeping with one in, one out, I may give away my juicer that hasn't gotten much use the last several years. I may also be able to get rid of our rice cooker since the Instant Pot does that just fine, though I can imagine instances where I'd want both working at once.

The mail stack has gotten ridiculous again, so I'm trying to take care of that while I watch the World Cup final.

In big things, we acquired a portable air conditioner (it got up to 107 F here), a barbecue, an outdoor wok station, and ANOTHER sewing machine (we now have three; we have purchased none).The wok station will get regular use, and the barbecue will get seasonal use. We'll likely keep the one sewing machine that serves our needs best, but we're going to have to try them all out first before deciding. The one from my grandma needs a tuneup.

I think my next big purge is going to be the desk in my bedroom. If I can manage that, I'll have more room for yoga AND I can move the keyboard from the living room to my room (no one else uses it, andI don't use it when people are home). My desk has a ton of crap on it, though, so this is going to be quite the undertaking.

Because of turning our garage knto a recording studio (awesome, by the way), we brought some amps and things into the house that we haven't found places for yet. I'm not sure what we can get rid of to make room for those.

Things aren't as bad as the were pre big declutter, but the house is looking decidedly full. (Worth noting: we have four adults living in a house meant for two; it's easy to fill this pkace up). We need to make some big decisions.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #953 on: July 15, 2018, 02:34:47 PM »
I've been getting back onboard the decluttering train lately. Seems to go in cycles.

- We gave the garage another going-over. Even though I thought it was pretty good already, we found a bunch more stuff to toss/give away.

- Did another swoop through the basement and gave away a bunch of stuff.

- Have some items listed on Facebook to sell, if it doesn't sell I will donate.

- Gave a beautiful Wedgewood cup & saucer to my SIL as it has no sentimental meaning for me, but means a lot to her. Also gave the same SIL a bunch of K cups I can't use.

- My city has a big Re-use Rendezvous in September, so I am going to start making a pile of items to put out for that.

I almost forgot - offered two zero gravity chairs to my brother, if he doesn't take them I will try to sell as they are still pretty nice.

I figure if I keep chipping away at it when the spirit moves me, eventually there won't be any more clutter (yah right!)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:13:09 PM by Prairie Gal »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #954 on: July 15, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
My kid accepted a bunch of two people's refuse. I waited to see what use it got. It's gotten none. I'm going to offer him $10 for the pile -and toss a couple of other unused things in there at the same time- and if he accepts, give myself one day to get it to the thrift and otherwise chuck it into the dumpster.

Still wishing folks would give their stuff directly to the thrift, so we can select mindfully. But this works too :)       Well, it works until kid realizes how much money he could make off me by accepting other people's unwanteds, lol. So far so good though.

I already thrifted a bunch of stuff people gave me on our trip. The day after we got home, it was gone. Yay!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #955 on: July 15, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »
Total declutter win: Kid's pile of "suggested to-gos" got very big, so we did a quick pass for just the papery things (box board, notebooks, books, notes, etc). He did GREAT. In the process, we came across a brochure for one of his passions. Last time we'd looked at it, no classes were on offer. I took a moment to check again: yep! Signed him up for a fall class :)    He's thrilled.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #956 on: July 15, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a food processor (arthritis makes chopping and mortar and pestle work hard).

Off topic, but just wanted to let you know I have arthritis and a food processor has made cooking significantly less painful for me :-) just in case you need some anecdata.

I love your one in, one out policy.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #957 on: July 17, 2018, 07:00:31 AM »
Asked my neighbour if we could add a few more items to their garage sale at the last minute. I carried over one game set and a pair of shoes and both sold before I left not even 2 minutes later. My 2 big items also sold, so I'm ahead $76 and have a handful of items in my trunk ready to donate now that they did not sell. It feels so good to have that space back!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #958 on: July 17, 2018, 08:26:00 AM »
UGH. How far into "the life changing magic of tidying up" did you have to read before you liked it? I'm half way, to where she's talking about folding clothes, and I just... am not enjoying her writing. Frankly it's reminding me of Trump, lol, "Trust me. I do this. I'm the best. Just trust me." Driving me a little bonkers. Does it get better? Are there concepts worth hanging in there for?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #959 on: July 17, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
For me, about three words :)    I love her style. She is silly and funny and sweet and thinks in a minority way. She is too happy and kind to be like Trump. She does acknowledge that she was too know-it-all and aggressive early in her process, and intentionally changed that.

However, her personality and writing style are consistent throughout the book, and while many of us love those, if you don't, yeah, best to find another resource now. Lots of other books on decluttering. You can read her gist summarized online.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #960 on: July 17, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »
It must be about 15 months that I've had this computer doodad lying around. I think what happened is when a computer broke, we cleaned up and recycled all parts but this one -probably I wondered if it held info, so I kept it til I knew what to do.

And then a few months ago, my bathroom lights burnt out. I'd never dealt with fluorescent tubes before, so I plugged a nightlight into the wall and ignored the tubes, which had the bonus of kid not leaving a bright bathroom light flooding my sleepy eyeballs in the night.

But this week I made a goal of being normal and replacing the bulbs. I was disappointed when the shop couldn't take the old ones for recycling, but I knew it's important to not chuck these into a dumpster.

Just googled and discovered I can recycle them right by kid's daycamp! And then remembered the computer doodad, and brute and neo von retorch noted that it's free of info and can go too :)  One drop-off to rule them all! Woohoo!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #961 on: July 17, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »
However, her personality and writing style are consistent throughout the book, and while many of us love those, if you don't, yeah, best to find another resource now. Lots of other books on decluttering. You can read her gist summarized online.

I didn't particularly enjoy her writing style, and found some of her ideas a little silly and too rigid.  However, I agreed with the overall message of the book and it did inspire me to do a major decluttering project last year.  I followed the parts that made sense to me and ignored the parts that didn't.  I frequently recommend the book to people with the disclaimer that they might not like the style.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #962 on: July 18, 2018, 07:17:01 AM »
UGH. How far into "the life changing magic of tidying up" did you have to read before you liked it? I'm half way, to where she's talking about folding clothes, and I just... am not enjoying her writing. Frankly it's reminding me of Trump, lol, "Trust me. I do this. I'm the best. Just trust me." Driving me a little bonkers. Does it get better? Are there concepts worth hanging in there for?

I preferred the style of The Swedish Art of Gentle Death Cleaning, Margareta Magnusson.  She didn't go into all the little details, but the overall focus was good and I liked her sense of humour.  Kondo is better for how to actually store/fold/process stuff, but Magnusson's over view is better.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #963 on: July 18, 2018, 08:15:42 AM »

Trump style remake of the book.. new title: grab em by the clutter.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #964 on: July 18, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »
My apartment still feels too cluttered to me, despite being just about done with the Marie Kondo process. Only a few sentimental categories left. I think I need to do another pass through everything now that I'm rid of the easy stuff. (Also, my wife's clutter is still everywhere, but I can't control that.)

HOWEVER. Something happened last night that reminded me how far I've come. Our ceiling leaked water onto our couch after a storm - we rent an apartment on the top floor. The super and manager are coming today to take a look at our ceiling and the roof. The apartment was a mess, definitely not presentable to any visitors let alone a property manager...well, it only took 30 minutes to pick up the whole place. It would have taken a full Sunday of cleaning on and off to get it in this state last year. It's much easier to temporarily get my wife's stuff off the floor/couch and out of sight when there is less of my stuff there too. Being able to clean the apartment more easily was one of my major reasons for decluttering, so it's satisfying to see it in practice.

I need to focus more on how much progress I've made and less on the things that are still bothering me.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #965 on: July 18, 2018, 11:23:41 AM »
My apartment still feels too cluttered to me, despite being just about done with the Marie Kondo process. Only a few sentimental categories left. I think I need to do another pass through everything now that I'm rid of the easy stuff. (Also, my wife's clutter is still everywhere, but I can't control that.)

I've made about 3 passes in the last 10 months.  As I've gotten used to the new-and-improved clutter level, I realize it's still too much stuff.   I'll be starting pass 4 soon :)

I'm about to start enforcing clutter-free zones in the house.  I'm tired of everyone else's mess everywhere.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #966 on: July 18, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »

Trump style remake of the book.. new title: grab em by the clutter.

This made me LOL. And to be clear, I don't mean she's like Trump in any way! I was trying to think of the fallacy of like.. appeals of authority basically. And couldn't think of the terminology. I don't get any of the hateful/lack of focus type stuff he does.

For me, about three words :)    I love her style. She is silly and funny and sweet and thinks in a minority way. She is too happy and kind to be like Trump. She does acknowledge that she was too know-it-all and aggressive early in her process, and intentionally changed that.

I didn't particularly enjoy her writing style, and found some of her ideas a little silly and too rigid.  However, I agreed with the overall message of the book and it did inspire me to do a major decluttering project last year.  I followed the parts that made sense to me and ignored the parts that didn't.  I frequently recommend the book to people with the disclaimer that they might not like the style.

I preferred the style of The Swedish Art of Gentle Death Cleaning, Margareta Magnusson.  She didn't go into all the little details, but the overall focus was good and I liked her sense of humour.  Kondo is better for how to actually store/fold/process stuff, but Magnusson's over view is better.

Thanks guys. I opted to return the book to the library, and I'll look into a different book in the future and see if it resonates better =) I picked up "early retirement extreme" which I'd requested a copy of, and so far that's being pretty inspiring for minimalism actually!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #967 on: July 18, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »

I've read it twice and I'm using it's concepts.  The first time through, I thought it wasn't the right book for me, too out-there.  But the second time through I'm using it as an instructions manual and the concepts are working for me.  I am literally studying the book, taking notes & re-reading to get all the nuances.  One big thing I'm learning is that the book is either really poorly organized, or she just thinks certain concepts need to be repeated (for emphasis).  But I lean towards poorly organized.  Her apparently giant ego and insistence that nobody ever backslides never sat well with me, and the whole "thank your objects" thing was off putting the first time through.

What I like: the idea of going through literally every possession and deciding to keep or toss; keeping only what "sparks joy" (plus the practical things like TP and loaf pans); the particular order in which she directs you to deal with stuff (easiest category to hardest); her definition of perfection (p. 19); and how she really urges you to contemplate the why or the goal.  I've come around on the "thank your objects" thing, seeing it as merely a ceremony or format to give myself permission to release some items which I want to release, but have been holding for not-happy emotional reasons (guilt or whatnot), rather than some mystical incantation.

I'd say read the whole thing if you can stand it, since her take is pretty different than the standard advice or method.

Oops, cross posted.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #968 on: July 18, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »

I've read it twice and I'm using it's concepts.  The first time through, I thought it wasn't the right book for me, too out-there.  But the second time through I'm using it as an instructions manual and the concepts are working for me.  I am literally studying the book, taking notes & re-reading to get all the nuances.  One big thing I'm learning is that the book is either really poorly organized, or she just thinks certain concepts need to be repeated (for emphasis).  But I lean towards poorly organized.  Her apparently giant ego and insistence that nobody ever backslides never sat well with me, and the whole "thank your objects" thing was off putting the first time through.

What I like: the idea of going through literally every possession and deciding to keep or toss; keeping only what "sparks joy" (plus the practical things like TP and loaf pans); the particular order in which she directs you to deal with stuff (easiest category to hardest); her definition of perfection (p. 19); and how she really urges you to contemplate the why or the goal.  I've come around on the "thank your objects" thing, seeing it as merely a ceremony or format to give myself permission to release some items which I want to release, but have been holding for not-happy emotional reasons (guilt or whatnot), rather than some mystical incantation.

I'd say read the whole thing if you can stand it, since her take is pretty different than the standard advice or method.

Oops, cross posted.

Hmm, kinda wished I had read this perspective before returning it! Oh well. The funny thing is I don't mind the thanking objects thing at all- I actually quite like that idea. And I don't even mind the circular way she speaks- that's typical of Japanese writing, and I got used to that when I was a writing tutor. So those I'm okay with. It was more what you mentioned with the: no one has EVER backslid. I am the BEST at this. I guess I prefer a touch of reality/humility/nuance.

If we do end up needing to move (again), I'll check it out again and do the whole process exactly, like you mentioned oneday. Thanks.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #969 on: July 18, 2018, 07:15:49 PM »

I believe the the Life Changing Magic and Spark Joy are two editions of the same book, possibly edited differently. I have Spark Joy and really like it, I believe it has more pictures and explanations than the other.

I'm definitely in the KonMarie fan club, but about the being the best and so on - I think she sets a low bar for the 100% success rate. She's not saying that you never have a messy house after, just that once you have a place for everything and stop yourself buying more stuff that you don't have space for, it's easy to tidy up. But it also takes a long time to get to the finished state. For example, I started the process about 18 months ago and I wouldn't say I'm done yet, so technically I can't really backslide. Given how long it takes to get results, it would be akin to making a lifestyle change instead of going on a diet, I guess?

I really want to read Swedish Death Cleaning too.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #970 on: July 18, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
@halftimer that's an excellent outcome!

I can recycle them right by kid's daycamp! And then remembered the computer doodad, and brute and neo von retorch noted that it's free of info and can go too :)   One drop-off to rule them all! Woohoo!

Love the LotR reference & the synchronicity of how this turned out!

@zygote major win!  Part of the reason I'm participating in this thread is to record my progress.  It's so easy to get used to the new level of clutter & overlook the progress.

@Bracken_Joy I have a couple other organizing books from the library right now.  They all came from section 648 (Dewey Decimal System#).  You might find something interesting by browsing there. (cross posting again!)

=============================================================

Another good couple sessions working on the paper monster this week.   Although it's become much less scary; now it's a small, cute monster like Mike Wazowski from Monsters, Inc.

Last week I found a clutch of programs from childhood plays, recitals and the like.  These have my name or the names of my closest family members in them, so I scanned them, then took them to a family gathering last weekend.  Forgot them in the car, though!  I'll email the scans out & see if anyone wants the physical items later tonight.

Last week's scanning really took the edge of intimidation off the project, somehow.  Last night I spent over an hour scanning & discarding all the odd shaped papers left in the stack.  What's left should go faster/easier because I can simply put it through the ADF, which was the reason I bought this particular scanner.  Gotta get the value for the money!

Well, off to email & scan!  Then another pass through "the pile" to see what's next.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #971 on: July 18, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
Way to go, oneday!!!

Love the LotR reference...

It couldn't have been one, because I had to look LotR up... So in my case it was a reference to whoever makes LotR references, I guess ;)

Today Kid completed his process. BIG pile to go, yay! He was so diligent and honest (for both goes and keeps) that I'm giving him $15. I threw in a few of my things too. I always let it sit a few days in case he changes his mind on anything, then stuff can go into thrift, recycling, garbage, in that order.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #972 on: July 18, 2018, 10:02:41 PM »
My sister was visiting recently with her little babe (he is turning 1 year old next week!). She is a single mom and was wondering how she was going to get some shirts (b/c she is fairly broke and he doesn't like stores..ha)
So after lending her a nice t-shirt that I rarely, if ever, wear--I gifted it to her.

Win,win.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #973 on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:00 PM »
I am a KonMari fan, primarily because her method of dealing with the guilt resonates the strongest with me. I also liked her focus on only dealing with your own stuff and not other people's refreshing. Plus the drawer stacking method really does help you see exactly what you have. Unf*ck Your Habitat was good about breaking down big tasks into small doable objects and the interval style focus prevents tasks from being overwhelming.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #974 on: July 19, 2018, 02:58:36 AM »
Posting to keep me honest.

I've been having renovation work done on my house for what seems like years.  Actually, now I think about it, it really has been years.  In the past week I've finally moved into the last space.   So I have no more excuses for clutter, or random boxes of stuff, or things that don't have a place.

It's all been slightly complicated is that due to circumstances, over recent years I've become the last repository of a lot of family things.   While I've whittled down the furniture to what's exactly right for each room, and it is finally in the right places, there are a lot of smaller things that I've been mostly ignoring up until now but really need to deal with.

Some of it I will keep.  That's principally about three or four drawers' worth of antique linens, which are a mixture of the practical (I'm working my way through a lifetime's supply of cotton and linen bedding) and the very pretty (lace and embroidered table cloths, and so on). These can be kept at no trouble to me in the spare bedroom dresser, and used/admired/repurposed as appropriate.

Three boxes of unneeded office supplies are currently offered up on Freegle.  There is some random old currency (10 mint condition, adjacent serial numbers, 10 shilling notes, people) which should sell.   There are a few pictures I don't much care for that can go to auction and will sell for pennies if at all.  Then there are all the random bits and pieces which I don't want, aren't worth much but don't want to just throw away - lots of old (vintage/antique, but nothing fancy) keys which don't fit anything, a pair of post office scales in old money, a clay pipe, old fountain pens, sealing wax, desk bits and bobs, old wicker baskets and wooden boxes.  A job lot to auction, maybe?

The time consuming task is several boxes of old papers.  I may be able to send to auction a lot of antique postcards and photographs (over 100 years old), or possibly find an archive to donate them to.   The research into ancestors needs to be read and sorted, so that some of it can go to a cousin.  The rest will need to be recycled. 

It's all the decision making that is the difficult thing.  Which is mostly not about what to keep, but how to get rid of things responsibly without trashing the environment.  There are so many possible answers to each individual item- pass it on to family and if so to whom, sell it, and if so how, donate it and if so to whom, send it to recycling, burn it on a bonfire, put it in the rubbish.

Oh well, here we go.  I'm setting myself a deadline of before Christmas.  Christmas 2018.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #975 on: July 19, 2018, 09:50:58 AM »
It's all the decision making that is the difficult thing.  Which is mostly not about what to keep, but how to get rid of things responsibly without trashing the environment.  There are so many possible answers to each individual item- pass it on to family and if so to whom, sell it, and if so how, donate it and if so to whom, send it to recycling, burn it on a bonfire, put it in the rubbish.

Honestly, just give it all to goodwill (or a similar thrift shop) and forget about it. They are much more equipped to figure out what's worth selling, what's worth recycling, what should go to the trash, the most responsible way to trash stuff, etc. They do it every day. And you have the benefit of supporting people who need job experience to get on their feet.

I may have posted some of this thought process earlier in the thread, so my apologies if it seems repetitive or obvious. But I have found it really helpful to stop worrying about how to dispose of things so I can focus on what to dispose. It really is overwhelming trying to figure out the best way to get rid of each item. Only exceptions are obvious trash (just throw it away in your normal trash/recycling) and MAYBE a few select items that have obvious monetary value (spoiler alert: most things we think have some monetary value don't).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #976 on: July 19, 2018, 10:58:11 AM »
^ I did a yard sale once, never again.   It was a total waste of my time and energy.  I donate or trash.  Donate to something you want to support, that holds fundraisers or yard sales, and the items will find a home.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #977 on: July 19, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
^ I did a yard sale once, never again.   It was a total waste of my time and energy.  I donate or trash.  Donate to something you want to support, that holds fundraisers or yard sales, and the items will find a home.

I second that, had one tag sale and never again! It was like a mad house with people swarming all over and someone even stole cheap items, some Tupperware cannisters. I didn't see them steal it but I know no one bought them and they were missing! On top of that...stupid me made it a two day sale! UGH! Never, never again! Will gladly give or donate.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #978 on: July 19, 2018, 10:32:50 PM »
Ohio had a drought, I think it was 1988 or 89. I had a garage sale, and it rained the whole friggin' day!
Never again. We just put stuff out front, and it gets taken. Some people even come to the door and ask if it's ok!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #979 on: July 19, 2018, 10:35:38 PM »
re: jpg: LOL!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #980 on: July 20, 2018, 10:42:42 PM »
It couldn't have been one, because I had to look LotR up... So in my case it was a reference to whoever makes LotR references, I guess ;)

Ha!

Today Kid completed his process. BIG pile to go, yay! He was so diligent and honest (for both goes and keeps) that I'm giving him $15. I threw in a few of my things too. I always let it sit a few days in case he changes his mind on anything, then stuff can go into thrift, recycling, garbage, in that order.

Yay, Kid!

My sister was visiting recently with her little babe (he is turning 1 year old next week!). She is a single mom and was wondering how she was going to get some shirts (b/c she is fairly broke and he doesn't like stores..ha)
So after lending her a nice t-shirt that I rarely, if ever, wear--I gifted it to her.

Win,win.

Indeed!  Love it :)

Unf*ck Your Habitat was good about breaking down big tasks into small doable objects and the interval style focus prevents tasks from being overwhelming.

I'd forgotten about UFYH.  Love it as well.  Also Flylady and Unclutterer.com.

Oh well, here we go.  I'm setting myself a deadline of before Christmas.  Christmas 2018.

Agreed. Good luck with your deadline...you can do it!

The old/antique keys sound neat!  I have seen them used a sculptural components of artwork.

re: jpg: LOL!!

+1 :)

===============================================================

Guys...don't know if you remember how I made my 2018 tax summary so early? I came across some papers to go with it, and couldn't find it.  It's been 2 days. I looked in all the usual places and found nothing.  So I had to look in unusual places (broom closet, clothes closet, dresser, kitchen cabinets).  Still could not find it!  How can I lose a paper when I have so few papers left?!?!!! lol  Fiiiiiinally I remembered there is a space at the bottom of my filing box, which is just a cardboard box of the right width to hold hanging folders.  There it was.  So I made a hanging folder for it & took out the other things that were in that black hole, so I don't lose anything again. 

Didn't email out those programs because they are saved on a backup USB drive...and the drive is in another room!  Sometimes I amaze myself with the depths of my laziness :)  Wrote it on the to-do list, so that's at least a step in the right direction.

More scanning completed this week.  I've got almost everything done!  There are a couple things left which are hard to decide what to do with...some represent to-do items, so I guess doing those things is the next order of business. 

Also while writing this post I've decided to scan some papers I was planning on keeping in physical form, just because the stack is kinda big.  Nope, I can do this!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #981 on: July 21, 2018, 01:44:46 AM »
Four books donated, one pair of worn out shoes thrown away.

I got the Joy of Less out from the library last night and while a lot of it was the standard minimalism pitch, two points that were useful to me today were 1- surfaces are not for storage! and 2- the reminder to keep to the one-in-one-out rule while decluttering to stop all the good work being undone.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #982 on: July 21, 2018, 03:32:07 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a food processor (arthritis makes chopping and mortar and pestle work hard).

Off topic, but just wanted to let you know I have arthritis and a food processor has made cooking significantly less painful for me :-) just in case you need some anecdata.
Thanks! I just got it and haven't had the chance yo use it yet, but I'm excited. Now that we have a wok station again, there will be a ton of processing to do!

@Bracken_Joy
There were two takeaways from Kondo that were big for me and made the read worth it, but I also wasn't a fan of the style and thought it was a bit extreme and sad. On the plus side, I got it as a free audiobook via slickdeals and listened as I went through my closet. To save you time, the takaways were these:
1. Once a gift has been given and received, its job is done. I am not obligated to hold on to that gift.
2. I will be more satisfied with less if what I keep is useful and/or makes me happy.

Have you read Unfuck Your Habitat? That one seemed to have been written for me (my mother hoards; I either learned the habit from her or inherited some of the underlying OCD (I suspect a combination of both), and this book helped me deal with that particular aspect of my struggle with stuff.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #983 on: July 21, 2018, 06:39:29 PM »
I wish surfaces weren't for storage. Unfortunately, I share a house with 3 additional people who just love to cover all flat surfaces with stuff... we're making progress but not rapidly by any means.

We "decluttered" the garden today...weeds gone. The first 5 ripe little tomatoes harvested and eaten. We need to tackle our at home business space, maybe tomorrow will be the day.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #984 on: July 21, 2018, 09:17:11 PM »
mspym, I hadn't heard of The Joy of Less, it sounds interesting.  Adding it to my reading list.

Mezzie, your point #2 is a very good insight! 

Mongoose...mmm...garden tomatoes...

=============================================================

More scanning but also tackling the to-do items, like calling to follow up on the refund check I'm supposed to get from the internet company.  Had a piece of paper with the account# and phone# floating around until it was the right time to call.  Way slow progress, but satisfying.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #985 on: July 21, 2018, 11:07:13 PM »
We are suffering from clutter creep at the moment.

The main culprit is Baby clothing. I’m trying to keep it to a minimum, kind of capsule wardrobe for toddlers style since we seem to have lucked out with a pretty clean baby so far, but people keep buying us stuff that doesn’t fit with her existing stuff and only works for one outfit. With baby clothes I don’t think the Kondo gift principle applies the same as the givers seem to get the most joy from seeing the baby dressed up in them. I feel obligated to keep them but we don’t have space, we all share one wardrobe which is also where the baby sleeps. A few times she has worn something once and then we’ve gifted/donated it but that seems very wasteful when we could return it to the store before wearing it or donate it unworn where it would have a higher value to the charity.

We are also trying to get pregnant again now too so quickly filling the top shelf in the wardrobe with the baby’s old clothes. Do other people keep everything for subsequent children or just a few things?

Wins - my email inbox remains empty and I’ve kept it that way since April!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #986 on: July 22, 2018, 01:46:49 AM »
Largely inspired by the Surfaces are Not For Storage idea, we moved the Vitamix to the cupboards where it can hang out with the Instant Pot and the cast iron dutch oven, and the Sodastream to the Tall Jug cupboard, which freed up a wealth of bench space in the kitchen. I also realised that if I just rotated our dining table chairs 45 degrees, it improved the flow all around that space. It feels really good.

We also made enough space in the storage ottoman that the living room throws can be stored there when not in use.

Next steps: re-organise the book shelves to allow me to sort out my fabric stash so my sewing table is clear and ready to go.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #987 on: July 22, 2018, 05:34:29 AM »
Do other people keep everything for subsequent children or just a few things?

So far we've kept everything, though I wish we hadn't - too much stuff! I think realistically that if we didn't want to use something for kid 1, we're unlikely to want to use it for kid 2.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #988 on: July 22, 2018, 05:37:39 AM »
Not getting rid of anything, but trying to minimise what enters the house: in acquiring clothes for my boy, I'm asking myself whether each item could be equally useful for future girl or boy kids. Everything has to be as gender neutral / fluid as possible.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #989 on: July 22, 2018, 07:02:45 AM »
Made a start by disposing of some bits and pieces to the Church fete bric-a-brac stall yesterday, plus gave away almost all of the houseplants I inherited for the plant stall.  Empty windowsills are much easier to keep clean!

No takers yet for the office supplies offered up for free.  I might try the local school, but otherwise they will have to go to the dump.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #990 on: July 22, 2018, 07:07:00 AM »
Made a start by disposing of some bits and pieces to the Church fete bric-a-brac stall yesterday, plus gave away almost all of the houseplants I inherited for the plant stall.  Empty windowsills are much easier to keep clean!

No takers yet for the office supplies offered up for free.  I might try the local school, but otherwise they will have to go to the dump.

Give your office supplies to charity like animal welfare.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #991 on: July 22, 2018, 07:14:54 AM »
Do other people keep everything for subsequent children or just a few things?

So far we've kept everything, though I wish we hadn't - too much stuff! I think realistically that if we didn't want to use something for kid 1, we're unlikely to want to use it for kid 2.

I think we've kept everything except the clothes that were lent to us by a friend, which I returned.  It is ridiculous how much we have now with a 2 year old, and I do regret keeping so much.  I'm too lazy to go through the bins and sort them until we have another kid, though.  While I tried to buy mostly gender neutral clothes, there are still some that I might get rid of if it's a girl (mostly because I didn't like them THAT much to begin with, and if it's a girl I won't feel as bad getting rid of some of the super sports-y clothes).  If it is a girl, though, I fully expect to get a LOT of super frilly clothes from our mothers and sisters.  There wouldn't be any avoiding that.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #992 on: July 22, 2018, 05:46:40 PM »
New experiment begins today - putting the duvet back into the ottoman at the end of the night instead of leaving it on the couch. Felt pretty good this morning when I came in to make coffee and there wasn't a big pile* right in my line of sight.

*just the one duvet but it makes a big pile all by itself

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #993 on: July 22, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »
New experiment begins today - putting the duvet back into the ottoman at the end of the night instead of leaving it on the couch. Felt pretty good this morning when I came in to make coffee and there wasn't a big pile* right in my line of sight.

*just the one duvet but it makes a big pile all by itself

I hear you! I have two blankets on my sofa and even though I'm using them most of the time I have to fold them and drape them neatly or they annoy me!

Our kitchen surfaces are remaining reasonably clear. It helps that we are doing plastic free July so there aren't bits of soft plastic waiting to be washed or drying. I just had a brainwave that I could transfer some stinky curry leaves that were in a paper  bag on the shelves into a jar so I can put them in the cupboard. Doh!

Does anyone else have home made / unsliced bread and constantly is clearing up crumbs? Any strategies? Do you clear away the breadboard every time you use it? Mine's just left out all the time and we have a constant scatter of crumbs all over the bench.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #994 on: July 22, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
Fresh Bread, I occasionally buy unsliced sourdough bread and simply slice the whole thing at once, leave out what I'll eat in a day or two and freeze the rest.  Easy then to just take out however many slices I need.  I put the board away right underneath the area of counter I use for slicing.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #995 on: July 22, 2018, 09:06:23 PM »
@Fresh Bread our issue is bagels (boys) and coffee grinds (adults).  I use a large breadboard and sweep the crumbs into the sink/trash as soon as I am done. I also sweep up any coffee grinds once coffee is made. However while we have multiple large breadboards, we also have two boys who insist on using either the tiniest or no breadboard when cutting, resulting in a world of breadcrumbs. My solution, which may not work for everyone, is to have married someone who wipes down the bench multiple times a day.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #996 on: July 22, 2018, 09:23:31 PM »
We sold our old sofa. Made $75 & got it out of the house! Super happy to get rid of it. the new sofa is assembled & set up. Getting a new sofa was reasonably face punchy, but my husband & I agreed to buy a new sofa after we finished a remodel project, as our old was looking pretty rough & tumble after multiple moves.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #997 on: July 22, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »
@Fresh Bread our issue is bagels (boys) and coffee grinds (adults).  I use a large breadboard and sweep the crumbs into the sink/trash as soon as I am done. I also sweep up any coffee grinds once coffee is made. However while we have multiple large breadboards, we also have two boys who insist on using either the tiniest or no breadboard when cutting, resulting in a world of breadcrumbs. My solution, which may not work for everyone, is to have married someone who wipes down the bench multiple times a day.

OfFreshie rarely wipes up, boo, but I'm glad it works for you! Oh yeah, coffee grinds, they are consistently covering the other side of the work bench. It's hard to collect them all on a black work top, you find them when you put something clean down & then pick it up and it's covered in grinds :|

Fresh Bread, I occasionally buy unsliced sourdough bread and simply slice the whole thing at once, leave out what I'll eat in a day or two and freeze the rest.  Easy then to just take out however many slices I need.  I put the board away right underneath the area of counter I use for slicing.

Good one, I will try this. I have a few cotton bags that I could freeze slices in. We normally have both a raisin bread plus a standard loaf on the go.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #998 on: July 22, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »
OfFreshie rarely wipes up, boo, but I'm glad it works for you! Oh yeah, coffee grinds, they are consistently covering the other side of the work bench. It's hard to collect them all on a black work top, you find them when you put something clean down & then pick it up and it's covered in grinds :|

The coffee grounds on the black counter top! whyyyyyyyyyyyy!?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #999 on: July 22, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »

The coffee grounds on the black counter top! whyyyyyyyyyyyy!?

I'd never choose black worksurfaces now I've lived with them, that's for sure. At some point we will have a new, glistening white kitchen and hubby will no longer be able to walk away from his mess. Maybe.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!